MIAspotter
Topic Author

Yet More Girl Advice.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:40 pm

Hey Fellas.

So, I met this girl at work last week, she is the receptionist during the mornings and I noticed some weird behaviour towards me.

First when I started she said to me "So you are starting today?" I said Yes I am "well that's very nice" she said, at first I did not thought about it much, I thought it was pretty normal.

Then everytime I walked past her desk I noticed her starting to smile, even if I gave her a quick glance she will be smiling, very obvious.

I am not very good at this girl-business, and all I could do is try to have some small talk with her If I saw her around the coffee machine or If I go near her desk.

Yesterday as I was leaving for lunch she was getting ready to go home, as she saw me walking out the door she told me to hold on as she was also ready to go, we had some more small talk outside of the office and found out a little more about her.

Today, 3 boxes full of little presents for our clients had to be sent to the post, when my boss arrived she told me that the "girl from reception needs your help carrying the boxes to the post office" we found a bigger box to put the presents on so we only needed to carry one box each, my boss offered to help us if needed to which the girl said "it would not be necessary"

Once outside she tells me "well I guess after we are done at the post office maybe we can get a coffee or something" to which I agreed of course, I kinda saw it coming.

I invited her to the coffee and again we talked about each other a bit more, all very normal and it flowed naturally.

So, I ask you what should I do next? when will it be the right time to ask her for her number?

We finish work tomorrow at 2 (I will leave at 1 tho) should I ask her if she fancy having lunch? or is it too soon?

I really like her, she seems like a pretty normal girl and I hope we do continue to get along well.

Many many thanks in advance.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

GerbenYYZ

RE: Yet More Girl Advice.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:49 pm

She asked you for coffee so she's not scared to spend time with you, if anything it sounds like she fancies your company on at least some level. I say ask her out for lunch and see where the conversation takes you!

Good luck and have fun!!
Gerben

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Quoting GerbenYYZ (Reply 1):
She asked you for coffee so she's not scared to spend time with you, if anything it sounds like she fancies your company on at least some level

True, I'll see how everything goes tomorrow, if I don't chicken out at the last minute I will ask her out for lunch LOL.

Oh... girls girls girls... so complicated.

Thanks for your words!

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

BMI727

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Two replies and no snow globe reference? I am disappointed.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

RussianJet

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Ask her out to dinner. Take her somewhere nice, just relax. Sounds all good so far.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):
Two replies and no snow globe reference

Oh no... I am not tracking her flights...

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

JRadier

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:30 pm

Two replies and no snow globe reference? I am disappointed.

Took 3 replies... still pretty ok...

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 5):

Oh no... I am not tracking her flights...

YET!!!!  Wink

BMI727

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 5):
Oh no... I am not tracking her flights..

Because you're not a creepy stalker or because she isn't flying? Big grin

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 7):
Because you're not a creepy stalker or because she isn't flying?

Because I am NOT a creepy stalker and because she is not flying, as far as I know...

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Mir

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 8):
because she is not flying, as far as I know...

But you don't have the desire to find out?  biggrin 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ShyFlyer

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Well, by your little story there, I think it's safe to assume she's sober. Which is to say no beer goggles, so you got that going for you. Lunch or dinner, it's your call but the she's interested.

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 2):
I'll see how everything goes tomorrow, if I don't chicken out at the last minute I will ask her out for lunch LOL.

Hmmm...my gut says to ask her out to dinner but lunch isn't a bad idea either, it just seems a little "friendy" to me. Go with your gut.

No, girls are immature. Women are complicated.

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
But you don't have the desire to find out? biggrin

...and if her flight will feature XM inflight entertainment?   

[Edited 2009-12-30 15:12:56]
I lift things up and put them down.

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:31 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 10):

Thanks for the advice, I will tell her tomorrow to go out sometime for lunch or another coffe. Then see how it goes from there.

Well I am not talking about a teenager or something like that, she must be around 29-30ish. I haven't asked her age and I'm not going to anyways.

...and if her flight will feature XM inflight entertainment?

Or LiveTV!! ohhhhhhhhhhh Big grin

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

okees

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:52 am

You should be careful when dating a girl from work. It could get complicated. Just thought i'd give you a heads up. Good luck to you though!

okees
mobs jakis

DocLightning

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:55 am

Two replies and no snow globe reference?

Someone fill me in?

Hmmm...my gut says to ask her out to dinner but lunch isn't a bad idea either, it just seems a little "friendy" to me. Go with your gut.

No no no! Always start with lunch. It's far less threatening. And it need only be casual. "Hey, doing anything for lunch tomorrow?"

Here's the thing: tread with extreme caution. You do work with this girl, and so you don't ever want this getting unpleasant. Workplace romances are a minefield, so stop and think about how far you want to take this or what risks you want to take. You don't need her filing a harrassment complaint out of spite or anything.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

stratosphere

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:59 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):
Here's the thing: tread with extreme caution. You do work with this girl, and so you don't ever want this getting unpleasant. Workplace romances are a minefield, so stop and think about how far you want to take this or what risks you want to take. You don't need her filing a harrassment complaint out of spite or anything.

Yep good advice..Like the old saying and there is some truth to it don't sh*t where you eat. Kind of crude but you get the picture.

UH60FtRucker

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:07 am

Someone fill me in?

Well a few years back... when Non-Av was actually a really great forum that was more than just political bullshit bantering, and a close group of friends... there was this kid on here named 'Flairport". Well he was very detailed in telling us about a girl he liked, and what he was doing to get her to like him. This included semi-stalking her, tracking her flights online when she traveled.... and buying her a creepy snow-globe. Needless to say, his threads became epic, and the snow-globe thread easily rank in the top 10 of "all time best Non-Av threads".
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Phoenix9

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:09 am

Someone fill me in?

C'mon Doc! How can you not know about the legendary Snow Globe??

Here start with this:
Friend Flying FL FLL-ATL Friday. (by FLAIRPORT Feb 17 2005 in Non Aviation)

then
How Does A Snowglobe Work? (by Shinkai Nov 16 2006 in Non Aviation)

then:
Look Whose Got A Date... (by FLAIRPORT Apr 1 2005 in Non Aviation)

After you read these, let us know what you think.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

UH60FtRucker

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:20 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 16):
then

haha! that was the thread where I exposed "Skinkai" as a fraud. Yeah that was also an epic thread.
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

mirrodie

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:26 am

Have coffee and maybe lunch next time. Don't try too hard and just have fun.

Have a ball with it!! Let us know how it goes.

BTW I perused the old snowglobe threads. hilarious!

But I didnt see where he actually brought it up.

[Edited 2009-12-30 18:36:56 by mirrodie]
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

DocLightning

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:37 am

After you read these, let us know what you think.

Got it!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Phoenix9

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:43 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 18):
But I didnt see where he actually brought it up.

Quote:

That stuffs over....My trip to NY this weekend took care of any feelings I have for her.

But why can't say a girl is good looking? I knew about the commercial a LONG time ago, and I was waiting for it to come out. I saw it on the plane yesterday actually, and our entire group watched it. So, it's really not stalking.

I mean, who wouldn't watch someone they know in a NATIONAL COMMERCIAL!!!!! That's big stuff!

Tomorrow will be the test though, I give her the snowglobe. I really think she'll enjoy it and think of me a little bit different, much like the other girl. Fingers crossed!

in the first thread...reply 128.
Friend Flying FL FLL-ATL Friday. (by FLAIRPORT Feb 17 2005 in Non Aviation)

JRDC930

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:18 am

Quoting MIAspotter (Thread starter):
I am not very good at this girl-business, and all I could do is try to have some small talk with her If I saw her around the coffee machine or If I go near her desk.

LoL Big grin I sympathyze im horrible with women; particularly reading their almost non existant "signs" of interest that are impossibly subtle 99% of the time... this probably explains why im still sing...well that and the fact im shy so i depend on the .000009% chance that a girl would actually approach me...wish i could give you any advice as to what to do next, but im probably the worst person to do so...good luck!

well I guess after we are done at the post office maybe we can get a coffee or something

WOW  Wow!  Wow! You must be very physically attractive or something because women almost never approach a man, much less ask them out for coffee...good for you! Consider your self lucky...it might be a bit awkward, but just run with it, and wait and see how it goes...it seems like shes interested in you, so she might even offer you her number...very rare of a woman to do... have fun!
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

JRDC930

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:38 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 23):
Seeing he's in Barcelona, I think it's safe to say women are much less prudish than in the states. I've experienced the same abroad.

Well then i have an excellent excuse to get more SkyMiles then...and maybe get some girls...ill have to travel more often  cool 

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:54 am

Here's the thing: tread with extreme caution. You do work with this girl, and so you don't ever want this getting unpleasant. Workplace romances are a minefield,

I know, but to be honest I only have a temporary contract, and besides she does reception while I do something else, I met my ex-girlfriend also at work and we did not had any trouble, it's just a matter of handling everything with care.

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 21):
WOW You must be very physically attractive or something because women almost never approach a man, much less ask them out for coffee...good for you! Consider your self lucky

I don't know about that, I do not consider myself good looking or anything, but you do get the ocassional girl who will be more upfront if she likes you, which does makes thing a little easier.

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 22):

LOL!!

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 24):

Definitely, you will be more than welcome here, and you will love BCN.

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 18):
Have a ball with it!! Let us know how it goes.

Will do.

Thanks for the advice and a happy new year to y'all!

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

san747

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:13 am

Definitely what Fly2HMO says is true, in other countries, it is more culturally acceptable for women to approach men. But I also think you don't have to be Brad Pitt to have women pay more attention to you.

It's all about confidence. When you feel good about yourself, women can tell and respond, even in subtle ways- smiles, body language, etc. or sometimes as direct as MIASpotter's situation.

That said, I'm no expert. I've been single since July 2008, and have been on 4 dates since then, none of which have gone to a 2nd date, so it's not like I'm rolling in the women. I definitely have problems with shyness and reading women's signals, but I do know some things  Smile

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 24):

Well then i have an excellent excuse to get more SkyMiles then...and maybe get some girls...ill have to travel more often cool

Not a bad idea at all. What more excuse does any guy need to travel abroad? Big grin
Scotty doesn't know...

JRDC930

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:21 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 26):
but I do know some things

Well then you already know more than me... to quote a favorite tv charachter, when it comes to getting women, and especially when reading signals;"I Know NOTHING!"

It's all about confidence

Sadly this is what i lack...ill have to pay attention as to whether women pay more attention to me or not if i ever get some  Sad

san747

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:38 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 27):

Sadly this is what i lack...ill have to pay attention as to whether women pay more attention to me or not if i ever get some Sad

I'm far from the most confident guy as well. I boost my confidence by buying new clothes (got some great stuff for Christmas) or wearing a cologne I like and on the surface it helps, but I haven't quite made it over the hump of believing in myself- believing I am a great guy who has a lot to offer and these women should be concerned with the fact that they don't have ME, not the other way around.

One of my good friends who used to get with a lot of girls before he settled down at age 19 (???) and got engaged told me his secret was that he just didn't care. And that was true. He really didn't. He just did his own thing and it didn't matter to him. He was too busy doing crazy shit.

My problem is figuring out how to become that way myself. Or I could just move back to Boston, where after 19 years of never getting past 2nd base, I lost my virginity in less than 5 weeks Big grin
Scotty doesn't know...

Tiger119

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:59 am

- It does not matter their age, it's their DNA!

David
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

mandala499

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:05 am

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 8):
Because I am NOT a creepy stalker and because she is not flying, as far as I know...

U can always slip a tracker on her handbag, or even, put a "tracking module" in her cellphone... Bwahahahahaha

Quoting Okees (Reply 12):
You should be careful when dating a girl from work.

Yeah, take it slow, or be blitzkrieg quick... anything in the middle, is recipe for trouble if things go wrong...

C'mon Doc! How can you not know about the legendary Snow Globe??

OMG! Brings back memories!!!!

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 22):
Forget everything that everyone here has told you. This is what you need to do:

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

Definitely what Fly2HMO says is true, in other countries, it is more culturally acceptable for women to approach men.

Ooooh yes!!! I can definitely say that is absolutely true! (currently wondering if I should let this "nice" girl rent a room at my house... she's been asking repetitively... even the wife said yes... now that could be a disaster! LOL)

BUT WAIT...

LOL!!!!
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Fabo

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:41 pm

Oh, the joys of a-net... Big grin
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:43 pm

Update.

So, I went in a did the job, I told her we should repeat the coffee break sometime and she said "YES"!

It was very quick because I was leaving and some people were walking around, we did not set a date or anything so I will just wait for the chance and make it spontaneous, I know it will be soon tho.

All in all not bad Big grin

MIAspotter.
Happy new year everyone!
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Fabo

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Hey, good job!

And, should you carry on with your relationship, do not forget, NO SNOWGLOBES! Big grin

Big version: Width: 525 Height: 700 File size: 39kb

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:24 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 33):

Thanks for the advice on the snowglobes, I will keep that in mind...

When (if) we spend some more time together I will try and find out if she likes to travel, if she does then is a big plus, I think that travelling together does enhance the relationship and makes it a little more special.

She told me she would love to spend some time in the US tho, so in a way she does like exploring places.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

RussianJet

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:34 pm

You must be very physically attractive or something because women almost never approach a man,

rotfl 

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 27):
if i ever get some

rotfl 
Oh man, you're killing me........ biggrin 

Sounds like you really need to start interacting with girls more. I know you say you're shy, but practice makes perfect. Go for the gusto and get talking to them!
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

JRDC930

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:57 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 30):
Ooooh yes!!! I can definitely say that is absolutely true

It sucks being a shy guy in the U.S  Sad ....hopefully if i get an airline job when i graduate, i can translate the travel benefits into frequent travel where i might have a better chance with more agressive women.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 35):
Oh man, you're killing me........

Could you elaborate as to why, or do you just feel like insulting me?  Confused You obviously dont live in the US or youd know women dont generally ask men out...

I know you say you're shy, but practice makes perfect

That is a lot easier said than done believe me...shyness is something one is born with; its not something yous just "give up" plus rejection tends to make you even more shy; im the type of guy who needs positive reinforcement to have confidence; negative reinforcement only makes me less confident and more shy...

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 32):
So, I went in a did the job, I told her we should repeat the coffee break sometime and she said "YES"!

congratulations!  Smile hope the next date goes well too. Big grin

Go for the gusto and get talking to them!

if it were only that easy  Sad

Fly2HMO

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:14 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 36):
.hopefully if i get an airline job when i graduate

Then mingle with some F/As when you do. I've never run into one that's hard to talk to. Heck, I got my virginity stolen by an F/A Big grin Be careful though, man-eaters are plentiful in the F/A world (I learned that the hard way  banghead  )

Oh and be sure to pick an airline with cute F/As. Hard to find these days in the US but I'll give you a hint: IAH  Wink

That is a lot easier said than done believe me...

And believe me, at one point I was the shyest guy in the planet. You can break out of the shell. It took me a lot of work, and I had to reluctantly run into many ungrateful, cold hearted psycho bitches, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and you only gain experience from that.

mandala499

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:22 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 37):
Be careful though, man-eaters are plentiful in the F/A world (I learned that the hard way

LOL... shall we both set up the "victim's mutual support group counselling" ????  Smile Bwahahaha...
Best one to get to know... a former man-eater F/A... the best of friends to have when chasing other F/As ! Bwahahaha!
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

TheCol

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:21 pm

should I ask her if she fancy having lunch?

Start slow, do a couple of lunches before moving to a real date.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:16 pm

That is a lot easier said than done believe me...shyness is something one is born with; its not something yous just "give up" plus rejection tends to make you even more shy; im the type of guy who needs positive reinforcement to have confidence; negative reinforcement only makes me less confident and more shy...

I agree with you here, I was also very very shy, and it was really hard for me to get talking to a girl (bar the usual small chat at a party) but when I met my ex-girlfriend (which she also took the initiative to start going out) I now feel a little more at ease.

congratulations! hope the next date goes well too.

Thank you!

Quoting TheCol (Reply 39):
Start slow, do a couple of lunches before moving to a real date.

That's my plan, do a few lunches and as we get more comfortable with each other, then go for the real date.

I really like this girl and I don't want to screw this one up.

MIAspotter (all loved up)
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Phoenix9

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 40):

Ya....ummmm I forgot to mention. If nothing else works, use this:

Jokes aside, good luck. I hope things go well for you  Smile

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:17 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 41):

ROFLMAO!! that definitely made my day (and new year)

Don't think I will need any of it.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

NZ107

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:33 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 41):

Hahahahaha. Classic.

This whole snowglobe thing is hilarous! Amazing too how the legacy lives on  Wink

Back to the subject, congrats!
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

yvrtoyyz

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:55 pm

All those blue flags from members of the past who were victims of the "Great Purge."

BMI727

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:28 pm

I think that this approach has merit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqXi8WmQ_WM
 Big grin

san747

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:52 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 43):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqXi8WmQ_WM
Big grin

I love that song, and my gay friend Austyn was hilarious- he said that what Jon Lajoie says in that song is basically what he would say if he wanted to act straight! Big grin
Scotty doesn't know...

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:48 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 43):

LOL, funny but I think that will get me a slap on my face or killed LOL.

Now I need to start thinking about what sort of conversation topics to have, but mostly I just want to find out a bit more about her, family, music taste, hobbies, etc.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Fabo

Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 45):
Now I need to start thinking about what sort of conversation topics to have,

What? No! You do not want to overanalyze. In case you two are compatibile, you should be able to conversate without this.

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 46):

Yes, but we can't help but overanalyze.

On the other hand, you are right, when we where having coffee, conversation did flow naturally, so I should not worry too much.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

JRDC930

Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 47):
On the other hand, you are right, when we where having coffee, conversation did flow naturally, so I should not worry too much.

That is VERY important, and a good sign; one of the reasons im so shy around women, is i never know what to say, so i dont approach them. Being able to have a conversation is a very good sign.

MIAspotter
Topic Author

Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:07 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 48):
is i never know what to say, so i dont approach them

Well, you can ask something about herself, sign, what sort of music she likes or films and you can take it from there, of course it is easier said than done...

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?