Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL747
Topic Author

Time Warner Customers Could Lose FOX Tonight

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:00 pm

Quote:
Time Warner Cable and News Corp. (NWS, Fortune 500), Fox's parent company, have been locked in a public battle over how much the cable giant should pay for the right to deliver Fox networks into its subscribers' homes.

If a deal is not reached before midnight Thursday, all of the Fox-owned broadcast networks and some of its cable channels could disappear for most of Time Warner Cable's 13 million subscribers on New Year's Day.

This does not affect Fox News. The senate and FCC are involved now. Because of a lack in advertising, they want $1.00 per cable subscriber from Time Warner, or they pull the networks.

UAL

Mir

RE: Time Warner Customers Could Lose FOX Tonight

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:10 pm

www.hulu.com

Problem solved (except for the NFL playoffs, but just get out to a friend's house or a sports bar anyway - the experience is better).

-Mir

Ken777

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:21 pm

It would be interesting to know if Fox will be in violation of any contracts (especially sports related) if they cut off a large market. Do they have to refund money to advertisers?

If I were Time Warner I think I would call their bluff and turn them off. That would be interesting, to say the least.

Mir

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:40 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 2):
If I were Time Warner I think I would call their bluff and turn them off.

The broadcast networks always seem to win these games of chicken. It would be a nice change to see it go the other way around (and to see it happen to FOX would be even sweeter).

-Mir

PacNWjet

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:40 pm

It would be interesting to know if Fox will be in violation of any contracts (especially sports related) if they cut off a large market. Do they have to refund money to advertisers?

A short while ago the EchoStar corporation which owns the Dish Network satellite system was involved in a similar dispute with Fisher Broadcasting which owns several network affiliate stations throughout the United States. Fisher wanted to charge Dish Network a higher re-broadcast fee for its local affiliate stations. Dish Network refused and suspended all Fisher-owned stations for several months. Markets in which Fisher stations carried NFL games were affected by the dispute. News reports and legal analyses of the case can be found on the Internet.

[Edited 2009-12-31 15:45:20]

MAH4546

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:30 am

If I were Time Warner I think I would call their bluff and turn them off. That would be interesting, to say the least.

Let them. Then Time Warner will be screwed.

In 2000, Time Warner called ABC's bluff. ABC was taken off the air of Time Warner for only about 36 hours in some major markets - LA and New York included. Then Disney started giving out $198 rebates for customers in affected areas to buy and install DirecTV by taking out full page ads in major newspapers, even after ABC and other Disney stations returned to Time Warner. Huge debacle for Time Warner, and Disney eventually got what they wanted.

Networks always win these things.

I don't get why people deal with cable anymore. I switched to DirecTV in 1999 and haven't looked back. It's cheaper, more reliable, more channels, and better customer service.

[Edited 2009-12-31 16:32:33]

OA260

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:32 am

Fox News being blocked ! Thats a bonus they could promote  Big grin  duck 

FriendlySkies

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:34 am

Just plug in an antenna/converter box and stop paying the cable company for free programming. Problem solved.

deltairlines

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:35 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 6):
Fox News being blocked ! Thats a bonus they could promote

As mentioned in the original post, the most-watched news network in the country will remain on air with TWC.

Most Fox things are affected, but not FNC and Fox Money.

futurepilot16

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:42 am

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):
This does not affect Fox News.

Bummer for time Warner customers.

crying   cry 

STT757

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:02 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):
I don't get why people deal with cable anymore. I switched to DirecTV in 1999 and haven't looked back. It's cheaper, more reliable, more channels, and better customer service.

I switched to DirectTv in May from Cablevision and I'm very happy, I got a AAA promotional discount.

N1120A

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:31 am

This does not affect Fox News.

Too bad.

Because of a lack in advertising, they want $1.00 per cable subscriber from Time Warner, or they pull the networks.

A lack of advertising? What?

The senate and FCC are involved now.

This will be interesting. I wonder if the NFL is involved as well?

It would be interesting to know if Fox will be in violation of any contracts (especially sports related) if they cut off a large market.

That is an interesting question, especially considering that Time Warner is the major cable provider for the Los Angeles area.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):
I switched to DirecTV in 1999 and haven't looked back.

Dish has problems too. Take a look at all the issues Dish Network has had.

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 7):
Just plug in an antenna/converter box and stop paying the cable company for free programming. Problem solved.

Not everywhere gets good reception, and other places require putting an aerial on top of a house, which most don't want to do.

FriendlySkies

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:52 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
Not everywhere gets good reception, and other places require putting an aerial on top of a house, which most don't want to do.

True, but the majority of people could probably get acceptable reception. Also, does anyone know if Fox has any deal with Comcast? I'd be curious how that might play out. Honestly, if Fox wants to be paid for distributing its content, it should just become a full cable channel. That, or settle for a lower price...$1 is ridiculous, especially when other broadcast channels are receiving pennies on the dollar...maybe up to $0.25.

NIKV69

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:08 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
and to see it happen to FOX would be even sweeter

Won't happen since FOX gets 10 times the viewers as CNN and MSNBC.

Mir

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:29 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 13):

FOX doesn't compete with CNN and MSNBC.  confused 

-Mir

rfields5421

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:29 am

Won't impact my Verizon FIOS TV.

Heck, I can even get any Direct TV package delivered over my FIOS phone line without a dish if I wish.

[Edited 2009-12-31 18:35:27]

san747

Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:00 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):

FOX doesn't compete with CNN and MSNBC. confused

He meant FOX News, but it's kind of moot because FOX News won't be shut off as part of this issue (nor FX). Only the Fox Network is affected here.

LTU932

Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:11 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
This will be interesting. I wonder if the NFL is involved as well?

Don't forget MLB and NCAA (at least for the College Football they show). It wouldn't surprise me if the NFL is involved, especially since Fox will transmit the Superbowl in 2011 according to the usual network rotation (2009 it was NBC, 2010 it's CBS, 2011 Fox, etc.).

KBUF

Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:48 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Problem solved (except for the NFL playoffs, but just get out to a friend's house or a sports bar anyway - the experience is better).

Just be thankful they don't have the Super Bowl this year.

flybaurlax

Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:35 am

Honestly I don't like Time Warner. I live in the San Fernando Valley and they have been crap this past year. I won't miss FOX, though. I'm considering convincing my parents to switch to Verizon Fios.

Agreed

dragon-wings

Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:44 am

I am glad I don't have Time Warner. They seem to always be in dispute with someone and threating to pull the plug on stations.

smcmac32msn

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:00 am

I switched to AT&T U-VERSE this summer. Couldn't be happier. I'm spending $20/month more than I was with the promotional rate from TimeWarner... but $30 less than what they wanted to charge me after the "promotional" rate was up. I get way more for the money, the internet (though rated at 1/2 the speed I had) is just as fast...... and I don't have to deal with this bullshit from TWC. Its sad that last year at this time they were after Comcast and the MTV networks... Death to TWC and anything else they own.

2707200X

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:03 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 13):

FOX is a great home for programing like The Simpson's, Family Guy, American Dad, Glee and other great Glenn Beck approved programing that fans of Countdown and Hard Ball will love.  idea 

blrsea

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:06 am

We have DishNW here in puget sound area, and earlier this year, we didn't get ABC for around 2-3 months as they had a dispute with ABC's local affiliate here in Seattle.

So, it is not just cable, but even dish services that can be affected as both dish and cable n/w has to negotiate with the networks for content.

2707200X

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:14 am

I think this kind of dispute with the threat of canceling the FOX Network from the list will assure that many will cancel Time Warner and they will loose their share of the market.

CaliAtenza

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:34 am

I wonder if this will effect Bright House Networks too...i dunno if they are still part of Time Warner or not..

N1120A

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:58 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 12):

True, but the majority of people could probably get acceptable reception.

Actually, it would be a huge problem in a place like New York, where reception is notoriously bad.

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 12):
Also, does anyone know if Fox has any deal with Comcast? I'd be curious how that might play out.

I would imagine that all of the cable providers are following closely.

Quoting San747 (Reply 16):
Only the Fox Network is affected here.

Actually, that isn't true. Not only is the FOX network affected, but several local broadcast O&Os that are nominally independent are also affected (for instance, KCOP in Los Angeles). Also, several of FOX's other cable stations are included in this package apparently, at least according to Time Warner's scare ads.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 17):
It wouldn't surprise me if the NFL is involved, especially since Fox will transmit the Superbowl in 2011 according to the usual network rotation (2009 it was NBC, 2010 it's CBS, 2011 Fox, etc.).

I don't think such a dispute would ever go on that long.

Quoting KBUF (Reply 18):

Just be thankful they don't have the Super Bowl this year.

If they did, both sides would be working much harder to find a solution.

ltbewr

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:51 pm

This is part of a larger issue, that the advertising base of revenue that supports 'free' network TV can no longer fully sustain it. Competition from 100's of cable/dish channels, a slower economy affecting commercial buying, less time to watch TV and the Internet among other factors have all cut the number of persons watching the 4 major networks and their revenue. To keep revenues up, the networks are seeking much more revenue from the dominate source of access to TV in America, the cable/dish systems. Problems are that most people have no real alternative to get even basic TV programing but by cable or dish and don't want to pay more exorbitant fees.

Perhaps instead of seeking greater fees what the networks need to do is cut costs. Does a TV news anchor or some sitcom star need a multi-Million $'s contract? Does NFL football need Billions a year for rights, 90% of which goes to extremely overpaid team owners, players and coaches. Use more pooling of correspondents with news programing. Stop making junk programs that waste many millions yet only show for as little as 1 episode. Maybe if they look at themselves, perhaps even got together to cut costs in legal ways such as for news and sports programming, that could reduce the need to seek much higher fees.

lincoln

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:56 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
Actually, that isn't true. Not only is the FOX network affected, but several local broadcast O&Os that are nominally independent are also affected (for instance, KCOP in Los Angeles).

Not the entire FOX OTA network, however -- just Fox / News Corp. O&Os. The local Fox Affiliate (WJW-DT, owned by Community Television Of Ohio, LLC. and licensed to Community Television of Ohio License, LLC -- was an O&O but spun off from NewsCorp a couple years ago) made it very clear that the dispute would have no impact on their presence on local Time Warner systems.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
Also, several of FOX's other cable stations are included in this package apparently, at least according to Time Warner's scare ads.

My understanding was this was the thrust of the dispute (perhaps it's because I live in an are where the OTA isn't at risk)... according to TWC, networks at risk in my ZIP are...

Food Network -- I think I watched this for about a half hour 3 years ago
Fox Reality Channel -- Oh yes! One more network to watch 27th run hackneyed reality shows. I'll certainly miss this one, let me call my senators!
Fox Soccer Channel -- Really? I didn't even know this channel was in my lineup. Wow.
Fox Sports World Espanol -- No habla Espanol. Hate sports. Need I say more?
Fuel -- I'm pretty sure I get this, but I've never watched it. I don't even know what kind of programming they offer.
FX -- Ok, I know I get this one, but I can't remember the last time I watched anything on it.
Great American Country -- See Fox Soccer Channel. I wouldn't miss it.
Speed Channel -- Ok, my TiVo likes recording Wrecked; I usually like watching Wrecked. Would I notice or particualrly care if it went away? No.

So of 8 networks that are "at risk" I didn't even know I got 4 of them, have never/not recently watched 3 of them, and the remaining 1 has a program that I'm lukewarm to for 30 minutes a week.

As much as I hate TWC...My vote is take them away, preserve your profit margin, and don't raise my bill.

(Just as much as I wish TWC would dump the ESPN and Fox Sports crap and lower my bill accordingly)

Lincoln

whappeh

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:24 pm

If I lose Fox Soccer Channel I'll rage. That is the only network that Fox has that is really important.

N1120A

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:57 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 28):

Food Network -- I think I watched this for about a half hour 3 years ago

Food Network? Last I checked, Food Network was not owned by FOX. Same with GAC. They are owned by Scripps.

Fox Soccer Channel -- Really? I didn't even know this channel was in my lineup. Wow.

I like FSC, though I prefer GolTV

Not the entire FOX OTA network, however -- just Fox / News Corp. O&Os.

That's what I said.

rfields5421

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:37 am

Quoting Caliatenza (Reply 25):
I wonder if this will effect Bright House Networks too...i dunno if they are still part of Time Warner or not..

Yes - Bright House is one of the cable companies in the disupute with Fox.

Kristport

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:54 am

It's all over! - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...trike-deal-to-keep-signals-on.html

It will be interesting to find out what the terms of the agreement are. It was no surprise that they came to agreement though because loosing these customers would help neither party.

I wounder who Time Warner/ Bright House will have issues with next year
2008- Viacom
2009-Fox
2010-?

-KristPort

N1120A

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 am

Quoting KristPort (Reply 32):
I wounder who Time Warner/ Bright House will have issues with next year

Perhaps NBC? And they might have an argument with broadcast NBC, given the idiotic move with Leno in prime time.

LTU932

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:05 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 27):
Perhaps instead of seeking greater fees what the networks need to do is cut costs. Does a TV news anchor or some sitcom star need a multi-Million $'s contract?

Not to mention "analysts" in general who receive a shitload of money just to appear in shows like e.g. "The NFL Today", "The Today Show", etc. Something like that is unthinkable outside of the American continent. Sure, even someone like Peter Kloeppel from RTL Aktuell or Jan Hofer from the Tagesschau get a lot of money, but they most likely don't have a multi-million Euro contract.

I mean, who the hell would even pay millions for a simple news anchor. In fact, a multi-million contract with a news anchor on public TV would be even more impossible than in private TV, because since public TV is funded by compulsory payments to a central institution (aka the GEZ, the German public institution from hell which even wants us to pay broadcast fees for our computers and mobile phones!  Angry ) which demands to be paid for each TV and radio in your household regardless of whether you watch public TV, listen to public radio or not, something like that would cause even more of an outrage than there already is with the very bad quality of programming in both private AND public television.

In any case, I don't understand why there are multi-million dollar contracts for a simple news anchor. I don't care if it's Katie Couric, Brian Williams, Walter Cronkite, Karl-Heinz Köpcke, Werner Veigel or Jo Brauner, no journalist (or someone who just pretends to be a journalist) deserves that much money period.

lincoln

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):
Food Network? Last I checked, Food Network was not owned by FOX. Same with GAC. They are owned by Scripps.

Aparemtly TWC is (was) mixing things up with a couple programming providers simultaneously but the only one they named publically was Fox-- I just went down the endangered list that came up for my ZIP code on TW's site without thinking about it.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:02 am

First of all, I can get FOX OTA (Over The Air) with my Govt. funded Digital Converter box, and the amplified UHF/VHF indoor antenna.

I subscribe to Basic-Basic Cable to watch C-SPAN and to get the local channels clearly ALL of the time. When it's gusty and windy outside, the Digital signal for some channels either has to be tweaked with an antenna adjustment, or doesn't come in at all.

I used to get the FOX News Channel on a "Lifetime" Subscription to the Satellite service Sky Angel. But a couple of years ago Sky Angel stopped their Satellite broadcasts and changed to Internet Broadcasting of their Channels --- But I was expected to pony up for that service, and my Lifetime subscription to their satellite service was moot when they stopped satellite broadcasts. They said the EchoStar satellite that they were using was failing, and that they were not going to pay to launch their own satellite.

As for ****ing Time Warner.... all those monkeys have done since they took over from Comcast several years ago, is raise my Basic cable rates from $12/mo to $18/mo ! What "Extra" services/Channels did I get for this 66% INCREASE is Fees ? ? NONE really --- I get the same number of channels that I did with Comcast!

T/W is a greedy conglomerate! The Basic-Basic service in my town has been here for over 30 years. It requiers no Box. Many Senior Citizens and other folks chose the basic service to get access to local channels and local news and weather. I remember the rates for Basic service remaing around $10/mo for MANY years. Once T/W came in, those folks see fit to raise the Basic rates 66% in just 2 years. Can't they cover the cost of doing Business by raising the rates on the upper tiers/Premium/HD/DVR box users ? ? ? ? Not in their way of thinking!!!

The main reason I have T/W is that I get my High Speed Internet Service through them.

If I ever move to a location where Verizon FIOS Internet Service is available -- I'm THERE !

---------------------------------------------------------
I very much Support The Cable Choice Act, which would require cable companies to offer their channels ala carte and un-bundled. I really wouldn't mind spending around $30-35 to get get JUST the channels I want, and to NOT pay for ANY channels, I would NOT want to watch !

N1120A

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:14 am

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 36):
I very much Support The Cable Choice Act, which would require cable companies to offer their channels ala carte and un-bundled. I really wouldn't mind spending around $30-35 to get get JUST the channels I want, and to NOT pay for ANY channels, I would NOT want to watch !

I completely agree.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 35):

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):

Aparemtly TWC is (was) mixing things up with a couple programming providers simultaneously but the only one they named publically was Fox-- I just went down the endangered list that came up for my ZIP code on TW's site without thinking about it.

In reading an article on the TWC/FOX fight, I found where you saw that. Cablevision, which is NYC's other big cable provider, had a major spat with Scripps and has indeed dropped Food Network and HGTV, along with other Scripps channels. That is a huge loss for NYC area subscribers, as those are 2 of the most popular networks on cable.