Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Falcon84
Topic Author

Dude Trying To Start All-White Basketball League

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:26 pm

Amazing, in this day and age, that someone would even consider such an idea, but here it is, nevertheless.

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports...ll-american_basketball_league.html

I have some interesting ideas for sponsors for such a league, but I'll keep my mouth shut.  rotfl 

Good luck, buddy! Don't think you'll get very far.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Gsoshutout55

RE: Dude Trying To Start All-White Basketball League

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:46 pm

If this were a Hispanic started league for only Mexicans or a league for only Blacks, I don't think this would receive any negative attention.

Funny how just because it's a white only league this gets shot down...

OA412

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:57 pm

"Lewis denied racism was behind his move to create the segregated hoops league."

rotfl  As Margaret Cho would say, where are they going to get their uniforms? At the KKKMart?
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

IADCA

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Quoting GSOShutout55 (Reply 1):
If this were a Hispanic started league for only Mexicans or a league for only Blacks, I don't think this would receive any negative attention.

I highly doubt that. Racial discrimination is still racial discrimination no matter what the color is. Sure, there is still plenty of informal segregation on the level of social institutions, but an explicitly all-black organization seeking public patronage? That definitely wouldn't go over well.

ajd1992

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Good luck to him, because I don't see this getting very far.

It's racist but in my experience black people are more racist than us white people and they seem to get away with it more, at least in the UK.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
I have some interesting ideas for sponsors for such a league, but I'll keep my mouth shut.

I have an idea:

rotfl 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

idealstandard

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:19 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 4):

Utter utter bigoted nonsense.

UAL747

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:19 pm

You know, I'm all for racial equality, and detest racism; HOWEVER:

Would this be any different than starting an all gay baseball league?

Would this be any different than the ALL black sororities and fraternities that adorn so many US college campuses?

Would this be any different than the ALL Christian summer camps?

Would this be any different than McDonald's "Latino Youth of the Month" award in Oklahoma City they play on TV all the time?

While, I do think perhaps there are probably racist foundations to this "league" - you can't really qualify calling it racist when all of the above mentioned items exist in today's world without any negative attention.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

ajd1992

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Quoting Idealstandard (Reply 6):
Utter utter bigoted nonsense.

It's just an opinion, I thought we lived in a free world where opinions were allowed?

If that's bigoted, how come we get "black history month" and "disabled awareness day" but not "white history month" and "able-bodied day"? Not that I care, but that isn't the point.

The fact one ethnicity gets it but not the other is racist. If you want a racist, look at Nick Griffin. I don't care what colour people are, but in my experience (with my friends) is the darker skinned ones are more racist, jokingly or not. I'm quite regularly greeted with a racist insult. If I did it first to a black person, I'd be arrested. THAT, my friend, is racism.

[Edited 2010-01-21 10:25:26 by ajd1992]

Mir

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:27 pm

This isn't some community league that meets at the local gym Tuesday and Friday nights (and even then I don't think it would be that well received if they banned certain races) - the guy wants to start a national league.

BTW, since I don't follow basketball that much, are there any good NBA players who would be eligible for this league? Seems like all the good white players are foreign - Nowitsky, Nash, Ginobili, Gasol, etc.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 5):
I have an idea:

Brilliant.  rotfl 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

OA412

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:28 pm

Nice one. LOL.

On a related note, I remember one Chris Rock sketch where he was discussing the South Carolina State Flag and one of his suggestions for a new state flag was a green flag with a large cracker on it. That should be this new leagues logo.  rotfl 

OA412

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 8):
If that's bigoted, how come we get "black history month" and "disabled awareness day" but not "white history month" and "able-bodied day"? Not that I care, but that isn't the point.

Because, at least in the West, White's are the majority. The histories of our nation's are invariably "white history". Black history month in this country is an attempt to teach the nation about a minority and to make amends for the hundreds of years of black suffering in thie country.

UAL747

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:33 pm

I have an idea:

That was pretty good FlyDLJets. I got a laugh.
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

captaink

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Year gone by, black people were slaves, subsequently were free but with very few rights. They then got all the rights of any other person but it wasn't easy. They are still not over it, and in many places black people are still victim to some form racism. This creates contention and they return the racism. And yes white people are sensitive to the matter, but come up, be honest, it is 2010, generally speaking who has to work harder to be successful? Other minorities are also in the fold. So now we have racism in various groups. Slowly society is trying to emerge from the sea of racism, as all black "whatever" or all latino "whatever", though still in existence is slowly disappearing.

Creating an all white US born only with white US born only parents basketball team is stupid thing to do in this day an age. We should be moving forward not backward. Don't expect black people to automatically forget the sad history they faced (although it is happening, as this current generation is much less sensitive to the matter when compared to the past). So my advise to white people is just be cool, be patient, things aren't so bad for you. Hopefully soon we would have as humans sufficiently evolved to realize that race is a non-issue, or possibly find another way to fill that need of 'belonging' to a group.
Look Up

ajd1992

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 11):
Because, at least in the West, White's are the majority. The histories of our nation's are invariably "white history". Black history month in this country is an attempt to teach the nation about a minority and to make amends for the hundreds of years of black suffering in thie country.

Prominently black nations don't have "White History Month" though, do they?

I'm going off topic anyway, so let's not carry it on.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:52 pm

And it should be shut down. If you REALLY think it shouldn't be, I do have an organization perfect for you.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

aerobalance

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:55 pm

10 foot rim is safe in this league...  Wink
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

captaink

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 14):
Prominently black nations don't have "White History Month" though, do they?

I'm going off topic anyway, so let's not carry it on.

In countries where Whites were the minority, white weren't under oppression. Apples and oranges..

Black people were under oppression for years, in recent history there is little to compare it to. With each generation, that oppression is being forgotten. Thankfully.

So I don't think White people have a reason really to act up based on oppression of their race.

With out young generation we all just seem to try to get along better, save for a few stupid people. I have White friends, Black friends, Hispanic friends, I have friends who date other races, i mean it is not even an issue and never has been, Why can't everyone in the world just get over it already.

I just wish we all can forget this race thing though. I am not from the US, so my view of the matter is a little different. On this thread I am trying to view the matter from a black American.
Look Up

Mudboy

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:04 pm

I wonder if they will go back to wearing the really short gym shorts, like they used to wear? Now that would be funny as hell.
Seriously, does anyone here really think this thing would ever get off the ground?
I mean, considering the demographic of the NBA, why would anyone want to even watch this?

I do agree though, why is OK for minorities to have exclusive groups, and if white people do the same, they are racist? Oh, I am sorry, I forgot we are forever in debt, and for this we need to just shut up, and accept that, or we will be called racist too.

rac·ism (rā'sĭz'əm)
n.
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

I don't see anywhere, that this only applies to white people! This applies to everyone.

BMI727

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Awesome idea! Let's do it!
Signed,
Tyler Hansbrough, JJ Redick, and all the white stiffs of the NBA
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

OA412

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 17):
In countries where Whites were the minority, white weren't under oppression. Apples and oranges..

Beat me to it. I can't recall a predominantly black country with, for instance, a history of using whites as slaves.

captaink

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 18):
Oh, I am sorry, I forgot we are forever in debt, and for this we need to just shut up, and accept that, or we will be called racist too.

If you want you use the term debt, well you are debt for a little while longer. Black people weren't slaves for 20 years. But the point is not 'debt.' The point is that the residual animosity will go away with time, generation to generation it will become less. But it is unfair and unrealistic to think that it will disappear today for tomorrow. Now this has little to do with our generation. We can thank our ancestors (black and white) for the racial mess we are in today. (white for enslaving black people, and blacks for allowing themselves to be slaves). IMHO.

BTW. for as long as humans existed, racism or discrimination existed in one form or the other.
Look Up

Mudboy

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 20):
Beat me to it. I can't recall a predominantly black country with, for instance, a history of using whites as slaves.

And I cannot seem to think of predominantly white country that has black slaves, now, can you? When is this excuse going to go away? Is anyone alive today that owned slaves? Are there any slaves that are alive today? Don't tell me I owe anything, for what ended 100 yrs before I was even born! My Grandfather who is German, fought against us in WWII, do I owe Jewish people for what the Nazis did as well? I am sure I will be called a racist for asking valid points, but I know there are small-minded people in the world, that constantly would rather remind us of the past, instead of moving forward.
Slavery was one of the worst things in our history, but as long as we live in the past, we are never going to move forward.

AirStairs

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 3):
I highly doubt that. Racial discrimination is still racial discrimination no matter what the color is. Sure, there is still plenty of informal segregation on the level of social institutions, but an explicitly all-black organization seeking public patronage? That definitely wouldn't go over well.

While I agree with what you've said, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't discrimination law cover only discrimination to minorities? Does it actually work the other way? I'd be interested to know.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 22):
Slavery was one of the worst things in our history, but as long as we live in the past, we are never going to move forward.

checkmark  I agree with this. While I think that there is some effort that needed and needs to be put into establishing a functional, integrated society post-Civil Rights Act, where do we draw the line? If we give minorities all these entitlements and special treatments, it's not like they're ever going to want to give them up, I know I wouldn't. I could very well imagine the same argument being made in the USA in 2110.

OA412

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:35 pm

And I cannot seem to think of predominantly white country that has black slaves, now, can you?

Right because I didn't make clear that slavery is in our past.

When is this excuse going to go away? I

When the after effects of slavery go away. Or are you going to pretend that the high levels of poverty in black populations are in no way related to the historically poor treatment of blacks in this country?

So we move forward by pretending that the past never existed? As the saying goes, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." No nation can move forward if its people attempt to pretend that the past is in the past and that it has no effect on the present.

[Edited 2010-01-21 11:37:32]

OA412

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Quoting AirStairs (Reply 23):
While I agree with what you've said, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't discrimination law cover only discrimination to minorities? Does it actually work the other way? I'd be interested to know.

Of course it does. What would make you think otherwise? Discrimination is discrimination no matter what the color of the victim's skin.

AirStairs

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Has such a case ever made it through the courts? I'd be interested to read it. I'm not sure if New Haven Firefighters quite applies, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Venus6971

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:54 pm

They could probably get away with it if they drop the name white guy league to Irish American basketball league or any other Northern European ethnic group. You can go to a Irish pub but not white guy pub and still be PC, you can go to a soul food joint but not a black food joint, and so forth. Are gay bars rascist or would a straight guy/gal be welcomed?
Could Charlize Theron compete in a African American beauty contest since she is South African? She defines the word hotness..
I would help you but it is not in the contract

ajd1992

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:55 pm

In the UK, anybody can be prosecuted for it, but if you're a white getting getting called "Cracker" or "milky bar kid", good luck to you. The police never seem to take it seriously as opposed to calling a black guy "The N word" (I hate that phrase but I feel a warning coming on if I actually wrote it).

OK, true, mostly black countries didn't use white people as slaves but I thought everybody was equal in this world now. Apparently not.

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 27):
Are gay bars rascist or would a straight guy/gal be welcomed?

No, that'd be heterophobic. But that's more out of safety reasons. Look up "Stonewall Riots", and you'd probably get a better understanding of it.

I'm not a racist. I'll admit to laughing at racist/sexist/whatever-ist jokes, but I don't actively go around thinking of the most offensive joke I can think of and tell people, that and I can laugh at myself too. My grandparents on the other hand...

[Edited 2010-01-21 11:58:15 by ajd1992]

MD11Engineer

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 13):
Year gone by, black people were slaves, subsequently were free but with very few rights.

Actually my black West African ex-wife would have strongly disputed this. She told me that her family never were slaves, in fact, they used to own slaves.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

mham001

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 18):
I do agree though, why is OK for minorities to have exclusive groups, and if white people do the same, they are racist?

I agree with your sentiment but this league will run afoul of employment discrimination laws.

Of course they apply in theory but not too often applied in practice. There have been cases of whites successfully suing about college admission rules.

PPVRA

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:06 pm

The guy partially blames a black player's legal troubles for starting an all-white team? Why does he equate being black with being in legal trouble?

He's got some explaining to do if the media didn't distort what he said.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

ATCtower

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:08 pm

I do not want to come across as a bigot as that I am not. I simply feel that things like this accentuate racism and the societal term "reverse racism" which is of course RACISM.

Not only if one were started for a minority would it not get shot down, but quite likely would receive government aid of some sort (tax exempt status?).

Quoting IADCA (Reply 3):

Says who? As far as I know, there is not one single white person fighting for white rights as good ole Jesse and Al do for blacks, without being called klan or racist. The second a league like this were to begin in the US, we all know those two in particular would be all over it like Oprah on a baked ham.

It's racist but in my experience black people are more racist than us white people and they seem to get away with it more, at least in the UK.

Without statistics, I can not dignify/support your argument, but it is much the same in the US, simply because of instances like this. White group cant do something a black group wants, whites get mad and are "racist". Black group cant do something a white group can, they get mad and are "standing up for their rights". There is absolutely a double standard when it comes to issues like this.

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 8):

'

Actually, if "equality" really is what is sought after, I care. How can we be "equal" with set-asides for ANYONE?

Quoting OA412 (Reply 11):

Ok, sure this is gonna piss off some but here goes for todays history lesson. Blacks have owned slaves in Africa FAR longer than whites ever did in America. Personally, I never owned a slave, nor do I feel I need to "feel bad" for anyone whose ancestors suffered the negative aspects of slavery anymore than I expect them to feel sorry for anyone who is a decendant of a slave owner and disagrees with slavery. It was hundreds of years ago. If we all want equality, quit saying equality is giving someone more than someone else just because five generations up was opressed. Focus on the issues of today, not 300 years ago.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 13):
Year gone by, black people were slaves, subsequently were free but with very few rights. They then got all the rights of any other person but it wasn't easy. They are still not over it, and in many places black people are still victim to some form racism. This creates contention and they return the racism.

Just to play devils advocate here, who is to say they are "victims" to begin with and are only "returning" racism? If we are all equal does that not give us the ability to be "racist" without having a "reason"? (not that I am, but you get the point)

Black people were under oppression for years, in recent history there is little to compare it to. With each generation, that oppression is being forgotten.

As well it should be forgotten, nothing is going to change it, so why throw fuel on the fire just to bring it up time and time again instead of facing the issues of today and correcting them? Again, I have never opressed blacks, nor has anyone I associate with. Why should we not have a month dedicated to us? Perhaps something along the lines of: "Good morally upstanding, non-oppressive, non-denominational, European American month"? I think we should.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

ajd1992

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 32):
Actually, if "equality" really is what is sought after, I care. How can we be "equal" with set-asides for ANYONE?

I worded it very poorly but I meant I don't see why one group should get it without the other; in which case neither should have it because they're still both equal so why bother?

Without statistics, I can not dignify/support your argument, but it is much the same in the US, simply because of instances like this. White group cant do something a black group wants, whites get mad and are "racist". Black group cant do something a white group can, they get mad and are "standing up for their rights". There is absolutely a double standard when it comes to issues like this.

Exactly. Double standards exist with most things - including racism, sexism etc. If I said I wanted more rights for white people, I'd be put in prison. If I was black and said the same, I'd be hailed a hero. It doesn't make sense. One thing I am definitely against though, is foreign people in MY country trying to get us to conform to their social norms. If you don't like - Go back. There was a thing about bringing Sharia law into the UK 2 years or so ago - we don't want it, if you do, go back to where to you emigrated from.

If you want an example of institutionalised racism open this page and scroll down. No mention of white people at all, and that's a GOVERNMENT website.

Starbuk7

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:33 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 3):

Then explain to me BET (Black Entertainment Television)

Explain why there are thirty to forty channels on my TV that are in Spanish or some other language here in the United States where we speak English.

When I was stationed in Japan and other countries I did not expect them to put programs on in English just for me.

This is a double standard here int the U.S. and it is getting fairly annoying.

Yellowstone

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Quoting Starbuk7 (Reply 34):

Well, the other umpteen million channels on TV don't specifically cater to blacks. They're directed at the (mostly white) population as a whole.

Explain why there are thirty to forty channels on my TV that are in Spanish or some other language here in the United States where we speak English.

Market forces. If offering Spanish-language programming lets TV broadcasters earn more money, why shouldn't they do so?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

srbmod

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Here's an blog article from Creative Loafing regarding this league, which is based here in Atlanta.

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/fre...l-league-headquartered-in-atlanta/

Quote:
AABA founder Don “Moose” Lewis, whose name and phone number are associated with several other sports organizations no one has heard of, insists he has no ill-feelings for people of color and foreign-born Americans, but he’s not entirely convincing.

This same guy is also behind the International Boxing Union, which is a very lightly regarded boxing organization. As well as some pro wrestling organization that never went anywhere He's had a previous basketball league called the Global Basketball Alliance, which looks like it had some questionable team names.

http://www.logoserver.com/GBAlliance.html

If this league starts, I'll be surprised, as this guy has a pretty sorry track record with sports leagues/organizations he's founded. Is this guy a real-life Max Bialystock?

tbar220

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Just out of curiousity, why does this bother you? Its called a free market. There is a market out there for this sort of programming. And if somebody can make money filling in this sort of programming on TV, whether its BET or Spanish language TV, so be it. Its not racist or reverse racism or a double standard. Its free market economics. Just like there is the demand for a national rural TV network (www.rfdtv.com), nobody is complaining about that.

Now.... as for this basketball league, I think its completely asinine. However, my question that I want to know is if it is illegal to have a league like this. Are there any statutes on the books that forbid this sort of thing from happening? And if a non-white wanted to play in this league, could they sue the league and have any ground to stand on?

That's my stance on it. It might be stupid and asinine, but if its not illegal, I guess its going to be. Now if somebody takes up his offer is another story, I kind of doubt many will.
NO URLS in signature

OA412

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:54 pm

Blacks have owned slaves in Africa FAR longer than whites ever did in America.

As the old saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right. It was wrong for wealthy black Africans to own slaves and it was wrong for white landowners in the US to own slaves.

Personally, I never owned a slave, nor do I feel I need to "feel bad" for anyone whose ancestors suffered the negative aspects of slavery anymore than I expect them to feel sorry for anyone who is a decendant of a slave owner and disagrees with slavery. It was hundreds of years ago. If we all want equality, quit saying equality is giving someone more than someone else just because five generations up was opressed. Focus on the issues of today, not 300 years ago.

The trouble is that it wasn't 300 years ago. Slavery was officially abolished only 150 years ago, after which Blacks in the south suffered under Jim Crow laws until just over 40 years ago. Like I said above, the issues of today are tied to the issues of the past. It's not about living in the past, but about acknowedging that what occurred in the past has an effect on what occurs in the present.

captaink

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 29):
Actually my black West African ex-wife would have strongly disputed this. She told me that her family never were slaves, in fact, they used to own slaves.

Someone mentioned the point i was going to make. The Europeans didn't just take the slaves from Africa to the Americas, the slaves were sold to them, by their own black masters. That is why I mentioned in a previous post that I blame our ancestors black and white for the racial mess today.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 38):

Blacks have owned slaves in Africa FAR longer than whites ever did in America.

As the old saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right. It was wrong for wealthy black Africans to own slaves and it was wrong for white landowners in the US to own slaves.

Correct.

BTW, I know that most people here on a.net aren't racist, and we discuss and argue over many like topics, but I know if we were in the same place we can all sit and have coffee. Most of my posts here have been for argument sake. Personally as a Black person i could care less about all this. I have never received racist attitudes, I have never had a problem with racism. I am not racist and I have friends from all corners of the earth.

What;s more, if this guy feels that by creating this league he would experience more fulfillment in his life, well more power to him. I doubt it would affect the lives of the majority of Americans, regardless of their race.

[Edited 2010-01-21 14:58:44]
Look Up

thegreatRDU

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:31 pm

a Hispanic started league for only Mexicans

Correction: Hispanic league for Hispanics......haha man I'm messing with you...

To me...basketball is boring anyway

Of course there is a double standard but what can you do? You'll w
Our Returning Champion

UAL747

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:34 pm

My questions is: "Who is white anymore?"

I think they will have a hard time finding players.

UAL

captaink

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 41):
I think they will have a hard time finding players.

UAL

Good point.

A great part of the population (at least in the Americas) is mixed or has some trace of another race. I am black, but I my grandmother is Indian, a grandfather is hispanic (though that isn't a race really), my great grandmother is white. My two brothers, sisters and I, all have different skin tones, different hair textures and slight different facial features, representing the great mix my family presents. But we are black. And I am sure many people of most races find themselves in a similar situation.
Look Up

Jetsgo

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 35):
Well, the other umpteen million channels on TV don't specifically cater to blacks. They're directed at the (mostly white) population as a whole.

Umm, whiskey tango foxtrot? What am I going to get out of Discovery, History, or even Nickelodeon, that Jamal down the street wouldn't get out of it? How does ones race make a difference whether or not they like certain shows?
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

futurepilot16

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:45 pm

No one is stopping them from making a white entertainment television, why are you mad?

Well, it might have to do with the almost 15 million spanish speakers in this country.

When I was stationed in Japan and other countries I did not expect them to put programs on in English just for me.

Two things.
1) Get over the double standard hooey, it won't get you anywhere because people will just look at you and think you're a lunatic
2) America is a more diverse country than Japan. If we have BET or TELEMUNDO, it's not for your entertainment, i'm sure there are a couple hundred other channels that you can watch on t.v.

The second a league like this were to begin in the US,

Why do we even need a whites only league or even a blacks only league for that matter? It makes no sense. And it is prejudice because it's discriminating against other races. I'm sure no one would even consider watching the games in this league because you want to see fair competition, not just whites playing whites or blacks playing blacks. This is the dumbest idea i've ever heard of. I'd much rather watch one of those reality shows on VH1.

Why can't everyone in the world just get over it already.

Because they choose not to. Black people will always bring up the race card to make themselves feel better and white people will always make it seem as though they're victims in a world where minorities get preferential treatment (I.E. the response by Starbuk7 about BET and spanish T.V.)
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

UAL747

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:06 am

Well, I would just like to come forward and say that I get "Logo" but I do not watch it because the programming annoys me. So there.

Though, you know, I've never exhibited any form of racism to anyone, so I don't feel like I have to pay for something my great great granddad did to your great great granddad. I think the problem lies with the fact that parents of black children, and their parents, etc., have perpetuated a sense of resentment towards whites over the slavery and oppression issues, even though we are years and years ahead of that.

Not that everyone does it, but my black friend explained that the issue was pressed in her family, although she says she doesn't have any personal resentments, she absolutely throws a fit if I equate gay rights with civil rights. But her family is from Mississippi where the black population is quite heavy, and she says that they are some of the most racist people she's ever met.

But, people need to let go of the issue. If anyone should be pissed, it should be me. My ancestors are native american. Ya'll took our land and killed us off with your crazy European diseases!

I blame Britain and the Bible for the world's problems.  Wink

DocLightning

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:38 am

So...uh... in the WBA are they going to lower the baskets?  duck 
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ATCtower

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:55 am

WTF? The entire American way of life is based on two wrongs making a right. Many states still have the death penalty, we throw criminals in prisons (and give them better healthcare and meals than many honest people), we tax people on inheritances, we go to war to stop one evil dictator from bad-mouthing our evil dictator, I mean come on.... Our entire country is based on two wrongs correcting a right. I concede this is an instance where they do not, but find me one LIVING black person that has been "owned" by one LIVING white person, and I will happily correct the wrong by convicting them of a crime.

The trouble is that it wasn't 300 years ago. Slavery was officially abolished only 150 years ago, after which Blacks in the south suffered under Jim Crow laws until just over 40 years ago. Like I said above, the issues of today are tied to the issues of the past. It's not about living in the past, but about acknowedging that what occurred in the past has an effect on what occurs in the present.

Much as I can acknowledge slavery, I can also acknowledge the Holocaust, I can also realize it happened in the past, I had nothing to do with it, and the only reason to bring it into play today for advancement would be to satisfy the Jews who believe we are anti-Semitic. It doesn't make much sense. History serves the purpose to remind good people of the evils faced long ago. It does not serve the purpose to dwell on the persons oppressed, it IS detrimental to their advancement.

Every group to immigrate to the US has faced some sort of oppression. Who is to pay for the oppression my Irish ancestors faced when they arrived in America? Or the German ones of the like? Most Europeans came to this country hundreds of years ago as indentured servants, not from wealth or royalty.

Furthermore, why are all white people lumped together? Who is to say our ancestors were not abolitionists? It was in fact predominately whites from the north who defeated the Confederate army. Lumping whites together as "former slave owners" seems a little like profiling to me...??? God help me if I profile a black, or a Muslim.

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 43):
Umm, whiskey tango foxtrot? What am I going to get out of Discovery, History, or even Nickelodeon, that Jamal down the street wouldn't get out of it? How does ones race make a difference whether or not they like certain shows?

Ok, Jamal? Come on now. That just killed the credibility of the post.

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 44):
No one is stopping them from making a white entertainment television, why are you mad?

Um, actually, the World Church of the Creator (white-supremacy group) did. I want to say sometime in the early to mid 90's. They were sued. By our good ole friends Jesse and Al. WBA (white broadcasting affiliates I believe was the name but not positive). WBA lost, and were subsequently shut down after a very short period of time, despite their pleas of freedom of press.

Well, it might have to do with the almost 15 million spanish speakers in this country.

Actually, I am quite sure his objection is not with the 15million "documented" Spanish speakers of this country, but more likely, the 5million of those that dont speak a word of English and expect us to cater to them. Or the 42million or so that are not documented (Illegal I believe is the term).

Because they choose not to. Black people will always bring up the race card to make themselves feel better and white people will always make it seem as though they're victims in a world where minorities get preferential treatment (I.E. the response by Starbuk7 about BET and spanish T.V.)

I think the term "Affirmative Action" more than signifies that whites are the victims of today. I never owned slaves, but I am damn sure suffering from the negative aspects of racism in the form of Affirmative Action.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

BMI727

Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:01 am

Isn't that what CMT is?  duck 

Quoting ThegreatRDU (Reply 40):
To me...basketball is boring anyway

I would think that someone from the Raleigh Durham area would be a big fan of white boy basketball, BABY!  duck 

Why do we even need a whites only league

Because if we don't Luke Harangody is going to have to get a job selling cars.  duck 
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Derico

Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 am

If one could put Ginobilli, Nocioni, Scola, Delfino, Hermann and a couple of others in one team, would that be a white team or a hispanic team?  silly   silly 
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down