Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

comorin
Topic Author

BSG Fans: "Caprica" Is Worth Watching!

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:20 am

Hello my friends, it's time to crawl out from under the rock! I know it's been painful with nothing to watch on TV, but there is hope now. The gang behind BSG has done a great job with Caprica, and we finally have something to come home to on Fridays! I was getting stressed with too many real people in my life, but, hooray, at least Friday now belongs to me!

I actually saw the premiere a few months ago, but watching it a second time really helps. It takes place 58 years prior to the end of Caprica, and we get to meet some of the ancestors of the main characters in BSG, human and otherwise.

Enjoy! This is truly a gift from the Lords of Kobol.

L-188

RE: BSG Fans: "Caprica" Is Worth Watching!

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:23 am

Just another remake.

You can't dig up Lorne Green
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

zanl188

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:43 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):

Lorne Green in this one is 11.....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

L-188

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:26 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 2):
Lorne Green in this one is 11.....

FRACK!!!...that not Lorne Green. If it ain't Canadian it ain't Lorne.

Falcon84

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:38 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
Just another remake.

checkmark 

I never watched the new one. I was too attached to the original. Nothing like Lorne Green and that VOICE as Adama. Or Patrick McNee as his roles as the opening announcer, as the Imperious Leader and as Count Iblis. Or who can forget John Colicos as Baltar, and his great sidekick Lucifer!

Ah, to quote Archie and Edith: "Those were the days...".
Work Right, Fly Hard

Springbok747

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:44 am

"Caprica" looks good, but the whole backstory is unnecessary..we know that humans created the Cylons and the aftermath. What I find truly ironic in the remake of BSG is that the people responsible for the whole thing (Baltar and #6) actually end up 'happily ever after' on the new Earth...just crazy!
אני תומך בישראל

johnboy

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:47 pm

I watched the first episode recently from the On Demand menu and there was nothing that really grabbed me.

Actually it just reminded me how much i miss BSG!

zanl188

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 4):
I never watched the new one.

You should. Much better than the old, not nearly as cheesy, and not as predictable - the Cylons don't always lose....

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 7):
I never watched the new one.

You should. Much better than the old, not nearly as cheesy, and not as predictable - the Cylons don't always lose....

thumbsup  and no silly robot dogs running around! I do miss the old Baltar and his sidekick, however...

BSG has made it into many top ten shows of all time lists( Times of London) and it's certainly in mine.

Caprica requires concentrated watching on the avatar angle, as it is important to understand how the human-like Cylons came about. It jumps right into questions like 'Do robots have real feelings' and other AI issues.

L-188

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:33 am

Or who can forget John Colicos as Baltar,

One of the best TV villians evil.....he oozed evil especially when they took the shots of him 15 feet up in the air in that chair only toplit.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 5):
we know that humans created the Cylons and the aftermath.

In correct, Starbuck explained to Boxey in 1978 that the Cylons where a extinct reptilian species who created the robots but when they died out the robots remained.

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 7):
Much better than the old, not nearly as cheesy

Hardley.

Re-watch the episode with Commander Kane (Lloyd Bridges. RIP) from the original series.

I saw part of 1 of the re-make series shows. I got irreperably distracted when Adama was calling the president on a US Army Field telephone that I used to repair when I was in.

zanl188

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:58 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):
Re-watch the episode with Commander Kane (Lloyd Bridges. RIP) from the original series.

The cheesiest of the lot...

Springbok747

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:58 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):

In correct, Starbuck explained to Boxey in 1978 that the Cylons where a extinct reptilian species who created the robots but when they died out the robots remained.

I'm talking about the remake. In this version the Cylons were created by humans.

The nature and origins of Cylons differ greatly between the two Galacticas. However both series feature Cylon Raiders, Cylon Basestars and Cylon Centurions. The prequel series, Caprica, focuses on the creation of the Cylons, which differs from all the previous Battlestar Galactica series.

The Cylons of the 2003 miniseries and 2004 Battlestar Galactica series are fundamentally different from the Cylons of the original 1978/1980 series. In the new version, the Cylons were created by humans as cybernetic workers and soldiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylon_%28Battlestar_Galactica%29

Also the re imagined series is much much much better than the original IMO.
אני תומך בישראל

comorin
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):
saw part of 1 of the re-make series shows. I got irreperably distracted when Adama was calling the president on a US Army Field telephone that I used to repair when I was in

That was a deliberate production design decision that repeats in the show - use of 'antique' objects on board the ship.

Don't forget BSG2 was an attempt by the original crew to extend the show to a new level. They achieved that, with amazing plot, acting and production values. It did to Sci-Fi what The Sopranos did to TV Drama - define a new level of excellence.

varigb707

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:20 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 12):
The Sopranos did a new level of excellence.

that was the last TV series i followed from day 1 until the very end. i ain't doing no more. it took too much of time, rescheduling and making adjustments so that i wouldn't miss a show.
no , never opted to tape it. that's just another hassle. you tape one show, the next thing you'll have a whole bunch of taped shows/programs/etc, a lots of dvd's laying around, that will end
up not being watched. lol
sorry about the all low caps. I'm lazy today.
peace.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

EA CO AS

Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:04 am

I've watched "Caprica" a few times now and it really is quite good. More remarkable is seeing how seemingly insignificant things ultimately set things in motion for the destruction of the Colonies.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 14):
More remarkable is seeing how seemingly insignificant things ultimately set things in motion for the destruction of the Colonies

yes 

I'm really enjoying this show! There's almost no flab in it and you watch it fully engaged - just like BSG. The production design is also very interesting, depicting a modern world existing thousands of years before Earth's civilization. Love the cars they drive...

c172akula

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Haha, looks like we have a few GINO's in this thread! (Galactica in name only, a reference to those put off by the re-imagined series)

I haven't had a chance to watch Caprica yet, but I have recorded the pilot and the episodes airing here in Canada on Space. Looking forward to watching it when I have a chance.

Last thing: Kane in the re-imagined series > Kane in the original

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:06 pm

I never heard the term GINO before - funny  

Do you remember Adama's wife was Jane Seymour in the original?

Interesting to see a lot of the BSG crew hanging around shows today such as 24 and so on.