Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N104UA
Topic Author

Jon Stewart Gets Keith Olbermann To Apologize

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:16 am

Okay so I think we can offically crown Jon Stewart The Most Trusted Newscaster since Cronkite left. Stewart yesterday took on Olbermann for comments he made about Sen. Elect Scott Brown, after Stewart mocked Olbermann's Special Comments, saying quote "You can't resort to childish attacks...you've seeded the high ground and now you wallow in the fettered swamp of baseless name calling and as we both know, sir, that's my think, it is beneath you, it is next to me. A man of your intellect need not be me."

Olbermann responded with, "You know what you're right, I have been a little over the top lately, point taken. Sorry."

I am a liberal and watch Olbermann's show religiously, I agree with Stewart though, he has been a little over the top lately. So if we can just all agree Jon Stewart is The Most Trusted Newscaster in the Country.... even though he is a comedian

video is here
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#35025138
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

StarAC17

RE: Jon Stewart Gets Keith Olbermann To Apologize

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:24 am

He is and thats the sad part because it just shows how much all the major networks have lost credibility and Stewart you doesn't give a flying fadoo being a comedian is the honest one.

You can and I haven't watched him or Colbert for months but he calls BS when he sees it on both sides. If I were a writer for him I would have given him a bunch of Fodder to ridicule Ed Schultz saying that he would gladly cheat to keep Brown out of the Senate (even though he was being facetious).
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Pyrex

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:33 am

Quoting N104UA (Thread starter):
So if we can just all agree Jon Stewart is The Most Trusted Newscaster in the Country.... even though he is a comedian

Hmm... no. Just another partisan hack trying to play the court's jester.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 1):
but he calls BS when he sees it on both sides.

Again, no. He is very, very, very far from objective.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

StarAC17

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:12 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):

He is on the left I won't deny that, but if the Dems mess up he will let them have it (probably less than when the GOP does).

Ironically that is more to expect from MSNBC when the left messes up an FOX when the right messes up. Both networks are apologists for either side while I feel CNN tries to be impartial by having a say from both sides, however they fail miserably at this.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):

In the end he is a comedian and does what gets him the most laughs.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Aaron747

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:19 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):

Maybe, but this was and still is a classic exchange on media bias:

http://mediamatters.org/research/200410160003

At any rate, pretty hard for a Jewish New Yorker to be anything other than a Democrat!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

OA412

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:24 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 4):

Absolutely one of the best "in your face" moments on television.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

baroque

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:55 pm

So if we can just all agree Jon Stewart is The Most Trusted Newscaster in the Country.... even though he is a comedian

Or, if the comparison is with Foxy news, BECAUSE HE IS A COMEDIAN.

How is the blond count going over at Foxy news, I hear that it has fallen a couple of points recently? Bad news indeed and some will probably make up their minds.

us330

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Good for him--Olbermann is nothing more than a partisan blowhard who is a mirror image of O'Reilly and Beck--two people that he vocally detests.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):

I'd agree with that--he's a democrat, and he doesn't try to hide it. That said, I think he's a fair interviewer, and isn't afraid to call a spade a spade.
He's far from Tim Russert, but I can't think of any current network or cable TV journalist who does a better job of getting to the point.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 3):
but if the Dems mess up he will let them have it

Absolutely--because of his own rage. One of the best instances happened this past monday prior to the Massachusetts election.

In the end he is a comedian and does what gets him the most laughs

And the truth is funnier than fiction--that's what he capitalizes on and does best. It's not what Stewart says, but what he shows and does his background research---basic stuff that any TV journalist should do, but few actually go through with it.

windy95

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:31 pm

I am a liberal and watch Olbermann's show religiously, I agree with Stewart though, he has been a little over the top lately

Olberman is and has been over the top. He is by far the most partisan hack on either side on TV. He is out of his mind.

fridgmus

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Quoting Windy95 (Reply 8):

Olberman is and has been over the top. He is by far the most partisan hack on either side on TV. He is out of his mind.

Well said Windy, well said. I used to watch Olbermann years ago when he was a sports commentator, but now he's just so full of outright hatred for anything Republican. And his hatred is so blatant. Sad.
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

N104UA
Topic Author

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Quoting Us330 (Reply 7):
but I can't think of any current network or cable TV journalist who does a better job of getting to the point.

I agree, if you saw Stewart's interviews of Cramer from CNBC or Betsey McCoy, or The Author of the Bush terror memos (I forgot his name) last year he let them get their point across and does a very good job of saying that "I dont understand your point and lets them explain it, so yes there are very few people in the media now a days that give people from all sides an open forum to talk, the only other one I can think of are the Sunday Talk Show's, This Week, Meet the Press and Face the Nation.

Ironically that is more to expect from MSNBC when the left messes up an FOX when the right messes up. Both networks are apologists for either side while I feel CNN tries to be impartial by having a say from both sides, however they fail miserably at this.

The only Cable News Shows that I ever see do Information Corrections when they are wrong are CNN, The Rachel Maddow Show, and the Network News Casts

Quoting Baroque (Reply 6):
BECAUSE HE IS A COMEDIAN.

He does not deny that but also remember that the majority of 14-25 year olds get their news from Stewart.

Two Words to that GLEN BECK, I think that Olbermann is completely sane compared to Glen Beck or Bill O'Riley (who may have convinced the alleged murder of Dr. Tiller in KS to commit that crime)
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

Yellowstone

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:19 pm

Quoting N104UA (Reply 10):
He does not deny that but also remember that the majority of 14-25 year olds get their news from Stewart.

I think that's more apocryphal than anything. I'm quite ready to believe that Stewart is the main television source of news for that demographic, but you can't appreciate Stewart's humor unless you already have some idea of what's going on. Most people I know in the 14-25 demographic get their news from the Internet.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

windy95

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Two Words to that GLEN BECK, I think that Olbermann is completely sane compared to Glen Beck or Bill O'Riley (who may have convinced the alleged murder of Dr. Tiller in KS to commit that crime)

The outright hatred that spews out of this clowns mouth toward anything with an R next to it is comical. Glen beck can be out there but O'Riley is pretty mellow compared to Olberman. I woukld put Beck and O'Riley more in Matthews class.

OA412

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Quoting Windy95 (Reply 12):
The outright hatred that spews out of this clowns mouth toward anything with an R next to it is comical. Glen beck can be out there but O'Riley is pretty mellow compared to Olberman. I woukld put Beck and O'Riley more in Matthews class.

rotfl  Oh please. They're both incredibly partisan (as is Hannity) and neither is even remotely close to "mellow".

tbar220

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):
Just another partisan hack

He is by far the most partisan hack

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 9):
he's just so full of outright hatred for anything Republican

Quoting Windy95 (Reply 12):
The outright hatred that spews out of this clowns mouth toward anything with an R next to it is comical.

What ever happened to some sources? I've seen name calling in the realm of "hack" and "clown", but do we have any sources for where you are getting the above claims? Now don't get me wrong, Olbermann is clearly on the left, however do you have some sources that show he is full of "hatred" or that what he does makes him a "hack"?

If not, the name calling makes your point null and void.

Jon Stewart The Most Trusted Newscaster

This one is VERY tricky to me. Jon Stewart is a self proclaimed comedian. His show is a comedy show and he does stand up comedy as well. He makes a living making fun of politicians and the media. He calls out the absurdity AND especially calls out hypocrisy on either side of the aisle.

Now, the way I see it that should also be the job of a newscaster. Calling out absurdity and especially calling out hypocrisy where it exists is what newscasters should be doing!! And doing it in an objective manner wherever it exists is the most ideal. And while Jon Stewart is a comedian, he does this the best out of anybody on TV right now, and that's why he is trusted and called a newscaster.

For example, he recently called out Keith Olbermann, AND he also called out Jim Cramer for his stock market "facts" in relation to the Brown election. Hypocrisy exists on both sides of the aisle, and Stewart is the best in calling it out.

So maybe he's a comedian AND a newscaster?
NO URLS in signature

OA412

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:22 pm

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 14):
What ever happened to some sources? I've seen name calling in the realm of "hack" and "clown", but do we have any sources for where you are getting the above claims? Now don't get me wrong, Olbermann is clearly on the left, however do you have some sources that show he is full of "hatred" or that what he does makes him a "hack"?

Of course not. It's just more blind rhetoric.

Mir

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:42 pm

Olbermann responded with, "You know what you're right, I have been a little over the top lately, point taken. Sorry."

A little? Olbermann has been way over the top for a while now. At least he admitted it - we'll see if he takes it to heart. I'm betting he won't. It's a shame, because he's an intelligent guy who would be a lot better if he would dispense with the histrionics.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):
He is very, very, very far from objective.

He's more objective than Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly, Maddow or Olbermann

So maybe he's a comedian AND a newscaster?

He's a commentator. And he's better at it than any of the people I mentioned above. But I wouldn't call TDS a newscast - they don't cover a lot of stuff. But then again, none of the above mentioned people have newscasts, either.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

fridgmus

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:41 am

Tbar, the comments I made are from watching him on the air. Like I said, his hatred is just so blatant, his tone of voice, his body language, it's hard to miss. Wish he would have stayed with sports.

MD-90

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:29 am

Jon Stewart is The Most Trusted Newscaster in the Country

I'd say Jon Stewart's The Most Honest Newscaster in the Country.

seb146

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:11 am

He is on the left I won't deny that, but if the Dems mess up he will let them have it (probably less than when the GOP does).

I have seen Jon Stewart give it to both sided when they both deserve it. He calls it like it is, no matter who messes up. I think it is sad that a show on a fledgling network has more cajones to call out the BS than the "real" media.

I don't know how supportive MSNBC is anymore of some "out there" Dems. I think they are reeling it in a bit, but they still do "call it" when a Dem messes up, moreso than FOX when a rightie messes up. Not much, but a little more, it seems.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

n229nw

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:40 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):
Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):

He also did the funniest satire on Glenn Beck's "logic" and techniques ever

http://www.thedailyshow.com/collecti...he-daily-show-on-glenn-beck/254892
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

jcs17

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:41 am

I am a liberal and watch Olbermann's show religiously, I agree with Stewart though, he has been a little over the top lately. So if we can just all agree Jon Stewart is The Most Trusted Newscaster in the Country.... even though he is a comedian

I believe that Keith Olbermann is mentally unstable. At one point he said to NBC bosses that he thought there was a conservative conspiracy to assassinate him (a laughable comment, at best). The sheer rage he exhibits through his rants and his "Worst Person In The World" segment is absolutely unbelievable. You can say what you will about O'Reilly/Beck, etc., no one takes it as far and as seriously as Keith Olbermann. You can tell he believes what he is saying and isn't using it for affect.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

OA412

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:08 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 21):
You can say what you will about O'Reilly/Beck, etc., no one takes it as far and as seriously as Keith Olbermann. You can tell he believes what he is saying and isn't using it for affect.

So you're saying that O'Reilly/Beck/Limbaugh, et al. are sometimes just putting on a show and they don't truly believe everything that they are saying?  scratchchin 

jcs17

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:16 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 22):
So you're saying that O'Reilly/Beck/Limbaugh, et al. are sometimes just putting on a show and they don't truly believe everything that they are saying?

To a certain extent, yes. Although you decided to add Limbaugh and et. al to my quote, whom I never included. It's almost intellectually insulting that you decided to throw in "Limbaugh, et al." You needed to make a point and now you look pathetic because you're reaching for straws. If you wanted me to clarify my point, I would have told you that Beck and O'Reilly have their points of clarity, and their points of stupidity. Just like the All-Loser Lineup of Matthews/Olbermann/Maddow.

OA412

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:28 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 23):

When in doubt insult the person responding to you rather than clarifying your point in a civilized manner.  Yeah sure

jcs17

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:32 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 24):

Nice try, son. Maybe next time.

OA412

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:36 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 25):

Believe what you want to believe, but everyone of them is a blowhard who has done nothing to elevate the discourse in the country and whose only achievement has been to make being an asshole fashionable. Their all putting on airs and saying what they believe their target market wants to hear and what will get them the highest ratings.

baroque

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:37 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 6):
BECAUSE HE IS A COMEDIAN.

Now, the way I see it that should also be the job of a newscaster. Calling out absurdity and especially calling out hypocrisy where it exists is what newscasters should be doing!! And doing it in an objective manner wherever it exists is the most ideal. And while Jon Stewart is a comedian, he does this the best out of anybody on TV right now, and that's why he is trusted and called a newscaster.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 18):

Jon Stewart is The Most Trusted Newscaster in the Country

I'd say Jon Stewart's The Most Honest Newscaster in the Country.

I was observing not criticising. And I do think it is because not in spite of being a comedian that he is believed. He uses numerous inverse statements that appear to be picked up easily and probably because he uses these to demonstrate a point of view, he is believed.

In times gone by, newscasters were supposed not to intrude their own opinions but increasingly they seem to be adding editorials.

I suspect that is not a stable condition for "straight" newscasters. One slip and they are gone. That hardly applies to comedians, because they cannot expect a hit with every attempt.

More interesting from outside the US is how the irony and sarcasm from Stewart appear to be appreciated by most of his audience (presumably those who are miffed do not watch). This contrasts with the many occasions when irony and sarcasm on a.net are completely misunderstood, sometimes even after the words are included. May Stewart prosper.

The other thing he has going for him is talent. Always helps!

Pyrex

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:55 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):
Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):

What does that have to do with being "the most trusted name on TV" or whatever the hell it is democrats are trying to pass him off as today? I am better than Hitler, does that necessarily make me a good person?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

tbar220

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:08 am

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 17):
Tbar, the comments I made are from watching him on the air. Like I said, his hatred is just so blatant, his tone of voice, his body language, it's hard to miss. Wish he would have stayed with sports.

Here's the thing. I can come up with about a dozen or more sources / examples for Beck, Limbaugh, and O'Reilly of when they've either flat out lied, twisted the truth, or ignored the facts. Do the same for Olbermann, then I'll give you credit for your argument. ((I'm not asking for a dozen, but at least give me something to show this "rage" and "clown" behavior being talked about))

now you look pathetic

All-Loser Lineup

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 21):
mentally unstable

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 25):
Nice try, son.

JCS, I gotta agree with him here. Whatever your argument is, it loses a lot when you start insulting and using demeaning language like "son" to talk down to somebody you disagree with. Whether or not you like Olbermann is beyond the point if you're going to make a point this way.
NO URLS in signature

Airport

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:02 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 27):
This contrasts with the many occasions when irony and sarcasm on a.net are completely misunderstood, sometimes even after the words are included. May Stewart prosper.

Then again, perhaps that might have something to do with the fact that according to this study, roughly 40% of text communication is simply misunderstood. Because the subtleties of nonverbal communication are simply not there, and we can choose when to and when not to respond, we can formulate our thoughts, etc.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0515/p13s01-stct.html

I think Jon Stewart is a tremendously wonderful comedian in that he has transcended being just another talking head on a comedy show on Comedy Central into becoming someone who promises only laughter, delivers and then eloquently and effectively points out many hypocrisies in the media and politicians today. It's very effective satire, I think.

EA CO AS

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:10 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 5):
Absolutely one of the best "in your face" moments on television.

I disagree, and here's why:

If you re-read that transcript, you'll notice something interesting - Jon Stewart (who, for the record, I find very funny and talented) tries desperately to have it both ways and set the table in his favor. When he calls someone like Tucker Carlson or Paul Begala out, he's being a journalist. Yet when they engage him on a similar level not two minutes later, he resorts to the "hey man, I'm just a comedian doing a comedy show" routine.

Can't have it both ways, Jon. You can't try to be Mr. Serious Hard-Hitting Journalist and then conveniently decide you're just a funny guy running a comedy routine when you get pushback.

And for that, he loses credibility in my book.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

baroque

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:19 am

Quoting Airport (Reply 30):
Then again, perhaps that might have something to do with the fact that according to this study, roughly 40% of text communication is simply misunderstood. Because the subtleties of nonverbal communication are simply not there, and we can choose when to and when not to respond

Interesting link says he wondering if he should respond!

TransIsland

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:38 pm

To a certain extent, yes. Although you decided to add Limbaugh and et. al to my quote, whom I never included. It's almost intellectually insulting that you decided to throw in "Limbaugh, et al." You needed to make a point and now you look pathetic because you're reaching for straws. If you wanted me to clarify my point, I would have told you that Beck and O'Reilly have their points of clarity, and their points of stupidity. Just like the All-Loser Lineup of Matthews/Olbermann/Maddow.

He may have added Limbaugh in particular, but your original quote had the phrase "etc."* in it, which means that you were not only referring to Beck and O'Reilly, but to others from that camp, too. In fact, after using "etc." many would say it's fair to understand you yourself including Limbaugh in that extended list.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_cetera - Just in case you weren't clear about what you were saying...
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

fridgmus

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 29):

Agreed Tbar! Although I haven't heard Beck over here. The topic was about Olbermann and that's why I commented on him.

F

Dreadnought

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Putting Olbermann in the same class as Beck or O'Reilly is silly. Neither of those two display the amount of hateful rhetoric that Olbermann does. That Olbermann is allowed to spew his obviously intense hatred on a national network is shameful.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

NIKV69

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:56 pm

I am a liberal and watch Olbermann's show religiously, I agree with Stewart though, he has been a little over the top lately.

Can you imagine how the MSNBC hosts will act this November? It's just a testimonial how the far left acts when they don't get their way. Rather than respect the will of the people they resort to the name calling and fear mongering. I saw that rant and even I was shocked at how low he has gone.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Yellowstone

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:11 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 35):
Putting Olbermann in the same class as Beck or O'Reilly is silly. Neither of those two display the amount of hateful rhetoric that Olbermann does. That Olbermann is allowed to spew his obviously intense hatred on a national network is shameful.

And you have evidence for this... where, exactly?

Not that I'm a fan of Olbermann--he used to be mostly watchable, with a few great moments (check out his post-Prop 8 Special Comment, it's really something), but he's gone downhill as he's tried to (IMHO) match Fox News' level of ridiculosity. I just think we all should realize that, in many cases, one man's "hateful rhetoric" is another man's impassioned commentary on crucial issues facing this country.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

OA412

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:37 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 37):
I just think we all should realize that, in many cases, one man's "hateful rhetoric" is another man's impassioned commentary on crucial issues facing this country.

Exactly and it's why I just don't follow these talking heads no matter what their political beliefs. See the post quoted below for further proof. Those of us on the left can and have used these very words to describe people like Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity, etc.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 36):
Can you imagine how the MSNBC hosts will act this November? It's just a testimonial how the far left acts when they don't get their way. Rather than respect the will of the people they resort to the name calling and fear mongering. I saw that rant and even I was shocked at how low he has gone.

NIKV69

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 38):
Those of us on the left can and have used these very words to describe people like Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity, etc.

Yea typical response but the MSNBC contigent spew their venom out with so much more hatred. I watch both and it's not even close. I can't wait till November, hell Maddow and Schultz will be probably foaming at the mouth.

tbar220

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 35):
Neither of those two display the amount of hateful rhetoric that Olbermann does. That Olbermann is allowed to spew his obviously intense hatred on a national network is shameful.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 39):
the MSNBC contigent spew their venom out with so much more hatred.

I'll say it again. You are making all these claims without supporting it with examples or sources. If were to say the same thing about Limbaugh, Beck, or O'Reilly, I could spend about fifteen minutes and provide a dozen or so sources to at least back up what I'm passing off as fact.

I think its about time that somebody in this thread show some proof that Olbermann is a "clown" who "spews hatred" with "venom". I'm hearing it over and over and over again and haven't seen any support for these claims. Its getting old. Since this thread IS about Olbermann and Stewart and not the Fox News contingent, lets get some sources on this please.
NO URLS in signature

EA CO AS

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 40):
I think its about time that somebody in this thread show some proof that Olbermann is a "clown" who "spews hatred" with "venom".

Agreed.

However, can I expect a similar demand for proof from you when those a.net members of the leftist persuasion begin hurling similarly-worded attacks at Limbaugh and the like? If we're all about being fair, that shield needs to defend both ways.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NIKV69

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 40):
I think its about time that somebody in this thread show some proof that Olbermann is a "clown" who "spews hatred" with "venom". I'm hearing it over and over and over again and haven't seen any support for these claims. Its getting old. Since this thread IS about Olbermann and Stewart and not the Fox News contingent, lets get some sources on this please.

Find me any video clip where O'Reilly, Rush or Hannity call an elected official names like Olbermann did.

baroque

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 42):
Find me any video clip where O'Reilly, Rush or Hannity call an elected official names like Olbermann did.

Don' know what Olberman did but Rush did these:

"This will play right into Obama's hands. He's humanitarian, compassionate. They'll use this to burnish their, shall we say, 'credibility' with the black community -- in the both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. It's made-to-order for them. That's why he couldn't wait to get out there, could not wait to get out there." --on Haiti earthquake relief, Jan. 13, 2010

"Obama's got a health care logo that's right out of Adolf Hitler's playbook ... Adolf Hitler, like Barack Obama, also ruled by dictate." --Aug. 6, 2009

"She sounds like a screeching ex-wife." --on Sen. Hillary Clinton

"I've been racking my brain. I've been trying to figure out how Bob Dole's luggage got on my airplane...I told the doctor, I said, 'Look, I'm worried about the next election.' ... A misunderstanding." --after he was detained by custom officials for possessing Viagra with a prescription made out in someone else's name

Then again folk are sometimes not too kind about Rush, wonder why. Wiki:
* Burke and Salisbury are conservatives. Rush Limbaugh is an anti-intellectual. The tragedy of the Conservative Movement is that far too many Americans no longer know the difference.
o Jacob M. Appel, American playwright, in Aborophilia (2006)

* Regardless of political labels, for any radio announcer to wish a riot on a city so his party could win, that's disgraceful and it's absurd.
o Republican Denver Councilman Charles Brown, on Limbaugh's comments that "Riots in Denver at the Democrat Convention would see to it we don't elect Democrats ...and that's the best damn thing could happen for this country as far as anything I can think", as quoted in "Limbaugh "dreams" of - doesn't advocate - Denver riot" by Joey Bunch in The Denver Post (April 24, 2008)

* We have no intention of prosecuting Rush Limbaugh because lying through your teeth and being stupid isn't a crime.
o Leo Jennings, a spokesperson for the office of the Ohio Attorney General, after Limbaugh urged Ohio Republicans to reregister as Democrats to disrupt the Democratic primary, which would be a felony if done with fraudulent intent; reported in "Limbaugh safe from voter-fraud charges" in The Columbus Dispatch (March 28, 2008)

slider

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:48 pm

has been a little over the top lately.

LATELY????

Olbermann is a shrill prick who is always over the top, an ideologically blinded moron who follows Alinsky's rules for radicals perfectly, name-calling, demagoguery, you name it.

Yellowstone

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:32 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 44):
an ideologically blinded moron who follows Alinsky's rules for radicals perfectly, name-calling, demagoguery, you name it.

Have you ever read Rules for Radicals? What, to your knowledge, are those rules?

Dreadnought

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:42 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 45):
Have you ever read Rules for Radicals? What, to your knowledge, are those rules?

Summary attached

http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm

Otherwise, just pick up a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0679721134/...=2797837167&ref=pd_sl_469hxr9mdn_e

PS: On Amazon, filter the book reviews to 5 stars only (to get reviews from people who appear to have actually read the book, and read the reviews. This book appears to be some pretty serious shit!

I have not had a chance to pick it up, but I need to (we all should).

[Edited 2010-01-25 10:46:36]
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

slider

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:12 pm

Hat tip to Dread for posting that and doing Yellowstone's homework for him.

Olbermann's playbook, along with numerous others.

http://www.olbermannwatch.com/

Yellowstone

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 47):
Hat tip to Dread for posting that and doing Yellowstone's homework for him.

Very funny, but my question was whether you know what Alinsky's Rules are, or if you were just throwing Alinsky's name out there as a generic buzzword for a scary liberal.

NIKV69

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:57 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 43):
"This will play right into Obama's hands. He's humanitarian, compassionate. They'll use this to burnish their, shall we say, 'credibility' with the black community -- in the both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. It's made-to-order for them. That's why he couldn't wait to get out there, could not wait to get out there." --on Haiti earthquake relief, Jan. 13, 2010

"Obama's got a health care logo that's right out of Adolf Hitler's playbook ... Adolf Hitler, like Barack Obama, also ruled by dictate." --Aug. 6, 2009

"She sounds like a screeching ex-wife." --on Sen. Hillary Clinton

"I've been racking my brain. I've been trying to figure out how Bob Dole's luggage got on my airplane...I told the doctor, I said, 'Look, I'm worried about the next election.' ... A misunderstanding." --after he was detained by custom officials for possessing Viagra with a prescription made out in someone else's name

Then again folk are sometimes not too kind about Rush, wonder why. Wiki:
* Burke and Salisbury are conservatives. Rush Limbaugh is an anti-intellectual. The tragedy of the Conservative Movement is that far too many Americans no longer know the difference.
o Jacob M. Appel, American playwright, in Aborophilia (2006)

* Regardless of political labels, for any radio announcer to wish a riot on a city so his party could win, that's disgraceful and it's absurd.
o Republican Denver Councilman Charles Brown, on Limbaugh's comments that "Riots in Denver at the Democrat Convention would see to it we don't elect Democrats ...and that's the best damn thing could happen for this country as far as anything I can think", as quoted in "Limbaugh "dreams" of - doesn't advocate - Denver riot" by Joey Bunch in The Denver Post (April 24, 2008)

* We have no intention of prosecuting Rush Limbaugh because lying through your teeth and being stupid isn't a crime.
o Leo Jennings, a spokesperson for the office of the Ohio Attorney General, after Limbaugh urged Ohio Republicans to reregister as Democrats to disrupt the Democratic primary, which would be a felony if done with fraudulent intent; reported in "Limbaugh safe from voter-fraud charges" in The Columbus Dispatch (March 28, 2008)

Thanks for not answering the question.

Again please post a vid! Not text where Rush, Hannity or O'Reilly call an elected official names like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlpF7wG8vI0&feature=related