UAL747
Topic Author

Do Any Of You Suffer From Sleep Paralysis?

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:14 pm

Quote:
Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is known as REM atonia. Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain awakes from a REM state, but the body paralysis persists. This leaves the person fully conscious, but unable to move. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes "after which the individual may experience panic symptoms and the realization that the distorted perceptions were false".[5] As the correlation with REM sleep suggests, the paralysis is not entirely complete; use of EOG traces shows that eye movement can be instigated during such episodes.[6] When there is an absence of narcolepsy, sleep paralysis is referred to as isolated sleep paralysis (ISP).[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

It happens all the time to me, and it scares the hell out of me. I'm awake, but I can't move, and I have to literally think about throwing my body up to get out of it. When I finally regain control of my body, I jerk really badly.

Anyway, I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else?

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Jetsgo

RE: Do Any Of You Suffer From Sleep Paralysis?

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:28 pm

I've had it before, but very rarely. In fact, I remember having it earlier in the week when I had a nightmare about being stuck in a Venezuelan prison. Horrible feeling, but I usually go right back to sleep without a problem and continue on with life the next day.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

midcon385

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:25 pm

I've had it once before when I was on a new medication (which ended up not working out for me). Was terrifying being awake but unable to move. So yes, I've experienced that. Thankfully, it was only one time.

Tim
MidContinent Airlines: We Know How To Fly!

N1120A

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:01 pm

I've had it happen before, but it has been a while. It generally seems to come in waves of frequency. That said, ever since I started wearing my anti-grinding mouth guard more regularly, it has pretty much become a thing of the past. I wonder if there is a correlation.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

IMissPiedmont

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:27 pm

It happens to everybody, most are not aware of it. It's nothing to be afraid of, if need be you will fully awake in an instant, enjoy the feeling, it's kind of fun.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

SpeedBirdA380

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Yes I do

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 4):
if need be you will fully awake in an instant, enjoy the feeling, it's kind of fun

Completely different to the sleep paralysis I suffer from. I cannot "wake up from it" when I want. I feel like I am suffocating and its a very unpleasant experience indeed.

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):
and I have to literally think about throwing my body up to get out of it.

Exactly the same here. You try to snap out of it but you just for the life of you cannot move. You get a feeling of dread and helplessness. I also find that if it happens once in a night its almost certain to happen again if I go back to sleep.

Most people think I am nuts when I try and explain it to them so its nice to hear from a fellow sufferer.

[Edited 2010-01-24 15:33:36]

zippyjet

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:29 pm

No thank God but I do have Apnea and use a C-Pap.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

UAL747
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:49 pm

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Reply 5):
I also find that if it happens once in a night its almost certain to happen again if I go back to sleep.

Yes! It doesn't happen but maybe once or twice a month for me, BUT when it does happen, it happens 3 or 4 times in a night. (Actually, mine tend to happen about 1 hour to 20 min before I actually get up). I'm wondering if any types of medication contribute to this?

I mention it to some of my doctors and while they give me an acknowledgement that they know about it, they don't give a conclusive answer on what to do about it, or why it happens. (I guess because it's hard to study).

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Airport

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:58 pm

I do get it sometimes, but it sounds like what I get isn't nearly as extreme as some members here.

Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night, or when I wake up in the morning or after a nap, and my arms will be totally numb. I'm typically able to sort of get up using just my back, and usually my arms will just plop on my legs, which is an incredibly funky feeling, because it looks and feels like somebody elses arms at first glance. I have absolutely no feeling in them whatsoever.

Honestly, when it does happen, I do kind of enjoy it. It's just a funky unusual feeling to have, but I understand that others coulde easily have it worse off, so in that regard I suppose I feel lucky.

SpeedBirdA380

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 7):
(Actually, mine tend to happen about 1 hour to 20 min before I actually get up).

Yes same here. Sorry, but when I said night I was being kind of unspecific. I find in the early morning when I am dozing and drowsy it happens to me most. Sometimes I will get it and snap out of it but fall straight back to sleep because I'm tired and then it happens again...sometimes in the space of a few minutes.

Thankfully I don't suffer from hallucinations,which some people report but I certainly get a terrible sense of dread when experiencing these "attacks"...like something is trying to harm you or you are going to suffocate etc....its a very hard thing to try and explain to people you have not suffered from them.

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 7):
I'm wondering if any types of medication contribute to this?

Maybe but personally I dont take any medication.I have heard that alcohol can bring this condition on and stress too. I have also been told that sleeping whilst lying face down greatly reduces the chance of getting sleep paralysis but unfotunatley I find sleeping face down very uncomfortable so not very helpful for me.

fr8mech

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:32 am

it's kind of fun

Ahhh, no.

It used to happen to me all the time. Has not happened at all since I started to sleep on my back due to a neck issue. Didn't make the connection until I slept on my stomach last summer due to sa sunburn.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

UAL747
Topic Author

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:43 am

Quoting Airport (Reply 8):
I do get it sometimes, but it sounds like what I get isn't nearly as extreme as some members here.

I don't think it's the same thing we are talking about. I will be wide awake and can't move a muscle in my body.

I actually sleep face down, and it sucks because sometimes I will wake up with my face in my pillow, and while I can breath, it's hard. So I freak out that I can't get any air, and finally I'll throw myself out of it, but it takes all of my mental will power. I guess if I had to explain trying to get out of it, it's like having to think and tell your body to talk. We don't think about it, we just do it. Sure there is something in the back of you brain that tells you to walk, but getting out of these paralysis situations, you really have to think about it. And, laying there with your face down in the covers thinking about moving makes the time seem like an eternity.

While I have come to know what is going on, and that I won't die from it, it still scares the crap out of me.

UAL

seb146

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:21 am

It used to happen a lot to me. I never knew what it was. I was having this discusstion at work a few years ago, and found out all about it from a co-worker. After that, I only had a few of these spells and they didn't last long. I just reminded myself of what was going on and I actually fell asleep. It is a bit disorienting at first, but that feeling does not last long anymore, thankfully.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

UAL747
Topic Author

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:47 am

One other thing I've noticed I will do is yell when I come out of it. I don't know why....it's one of those yells you do when you are pushing something heavy, like a car.

AF340

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:11 am

Quoting Airport (Reply 8):
Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night, or when I wake up in the morning or after a nap, and my arms will be totally numb. I'm typically able to sort of get up using just my back, and usually my arms will just plop on my legs, which is an incredibly funky feeling, because it looks and feels like somebody elses arms at first glance. I have absolutely no feeling in them whatsoever.

Do you sleep on top of your arms? If you do, that's why it is happening. I get it too and it is pretty cool, I tend to play around with them -- it's pretty hilarious actually.

As for paralysis, I don't get it and hope I never do.

Flighty

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:37 am

Yes I got this before, but usually it is more like using your eyes, while your dream is still happening. So, it's a little scary. It's hard to tell if you are still asleep, or what.

LTU932

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:47 am

Something similar happened to me a few times. Sometimes, when I get this paralisys feeling, I'm semi-conscious and I try to wake up immediately. After a few seconds, I can move freely again.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Natesantiago88

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:25 am

OMG, that happened to me once. I was so scared. My eyes were wide open and I could talk. I called out to my roommate but nobody heard me. It lasted for about a minute and then my arm started to twitch like crazy and 15 seconds later everything was ok. Thank god it's only happened once. But now that I know what it is, maybe next time it won't be as freaky

DocLightning

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 am

Yes, it happens to me, especially when I get in bed after I'm truly exhausted.

But, in spite of the fact that every journal I've ever read says that it only happens when you wake up, it more often happens to me as I fall asleep. I'll feel myself fall asleep and I'll become paralyzed... except I'm still completely conscious. And I can't ask my partner for help, move, nothing. All I can control is my eyes and my breathing.

I simply have to focus on a muscle (usually an arm) and repeatedly command it to move until it finally does. Once that happens, the movement will jolt my body back into function and then I sit there gasping for air with my heart pounding... unable to fall back to sleep.  Sad
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Airport

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Whoah, okay, point taken, it sounds like I do not have what some here describe. It's probably the fact that I do sometimes sleep on my arms.

Sorry if I sounded insensitive by declaring I had it, when it seems I obviously didn't.

UAL747
Topic Author

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:42 pm

Quoting Airport (Reply 19):
Sorry if I sounded insensitive by declaring I had it,

God, you are so insensitive. Consider this my last reply to you for exactly 3 days.

midcon385

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
All I can control is my eyes and my breathing.

That's how it was with me. Couldn't call out, or do anything besides lay there. Kinda glad it's only happened once in my life. At least next time, if it ever happens again, I'll be somewhat more prepared because I've been through it before. When it was the first time, I didn't know what was going on and that was the scary part.

Tim
MidContinent Airlines: We Know How To Fly!

tz757300

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:36 pm

Wow, interesting experiences in here, and I'm glad I've never experienced this. But there is something I do on a semi-to-infrequent basis as I fall asleep. I'm sure everyone falls asleep different way, but when I know I'm drifting to sleep and almost to the point of being asleep, but body does this violent shake/millisecond seizure type movement. Usually just a hard leg kick. This is completely involuntary on my part. Funny thing is that as soon as this happens, I'm usually in a deep sleep within a couple minutes.

Any thoughts on what this is? Maybe is a variation of this condition (instead of waking up and not moving, you fall asleep and move violently)?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

ManuCH
Head Moderator

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 pm

It happens to everybody, most are not aware of it. It's nothing to be afraid of, if need be you will fully awake in an instant, enjoy the feeling, it's kind of fun.

Exactly. Sorry if some won't appreciate it, but I actually try to induce it sometimes, although it's not easy. I don't take any medication. Google up "lucid dreaming". Knowing that nothing can happen to you, and that such a paralysis doesn't last much, it's best to just enjoy it and dream away. It's not easy at first, but yes, it's fun!
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Silver1SWA

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Yes, it happens to me, especially when I get in bed after I'm truly exhausted.

Same here. I have only experienced this a few times and each time it occurred while I was napping in the late afternoon/evening, trying to catch up on lost sleep following a crazy schedule at work.

But, in spite of the fact that every journal I've ever read says that it only happens when you wake up, it more often happens to me as I fall asleep. I'll feel myself fall asleep and I'll become paralyzed... except I'm still completely conscious. And I can't ask my partner for help, move, nothing. All I can control is my eyes and my breathing.

I have experienced this as well. I have felt myself slip into this state of sleep paralysis.

It's very strange and scary. I never knew what it was until reading this thread. Comforting to know it's rather common and apparently nothing serious.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ual777

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:23 am

It happens to me sometimes. I used to panic when it happened, but now I just breathe slowly and deeply to stay calm until my body catches up with itself. The first time was VERY scary though!
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

zruda

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:33 pm

exactly, its quite a funny thing. but first time I experienced this I was scared that I died and my soul hasnt left the body .)
there is no coincidence

UAL747
Topic Author

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Quoting Zruda (Reply 26):
exactly, its quite a funny thing. but first time I experienced this I was scared that I died and my soul hasnt left the body .)

Yeah. The reason I DO NOT want to be buried! What if my soul stays in my body and I feel like I do when I have this problem...then you go and put me in a wooden/velvet box 6 feet underground, for...umm, ever...

AL

mainMAN

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:50 pm

It happened to me only once, about a year ago. As I'm sure you'll all appreciate, I was terrified!

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 23):
Google up "lucid dreaming"

Lucid dreaming is different and really enjoyable, although I don't do it if I'm ever stressed. I think it's very healthy psychologically and has a cathartic effect.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 3):
That said, ever since I started wearing my anti-grinding mouth guard more regularly, it has pretty much become a thing of the past. I wonder if there is a correlation.

Interesting that you should mention a mouth guard. I was recently told I should get one (but haven't), and there may well be a correlation.