Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

U.S. Bans Truckers, Bus Drivers From Texting While

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:16 pm

U.S. bans truckers, bus drivers from texting while driving

Tuesday, January 26, 2010; 1:22 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...le/2010/01/26/AR2010012602031.html

The government Tuesday formally barred truckers and bus drivers from sending text messages while behind the wheel, putting the federal imprimatur on a prohibition embraced by many large trucking and transportation companies.

"We want the drivers of big rigs and buses and those who share the roads with them to be safe," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "This is an important safety step, and we will be taking more to eliminate the threat of distracted driving."

LaHood has made the effort to curtail driver distractions a centerpiece of his tenure as the nation's top transportation official. Some saw his announcement as a step that might ultimately fuel a push to ban cellphone use by all drivers.

Texting and cellphone use have been banned in many major commercial fleets, including FedEx's 43,000 vehicles and the 100,000 used by United Parcel Service.

With LaHood leading the effort, supported by mounting evidence of the danger, Adkins predicted that this year could see an effort to ban cellphone use by all drivers.

Statistics released two weeks ago by the National Safety Council indicated that 28 percent of traffic accidents occur when drivers are talking on cellphones or sending text messages. The nonprofit council said that texting was to blame for 200,000 of the crashes, while cellphone conversations caused 1.4 million. Those numbers come in the context of federal statistics that show that about 812,000 drivers are using cellphones at any given moment during daylight hours.

In announcing the ban Tuesday, LaHood pointed to data compiled by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration last year, which show that drivers who send and receive text messages take their eyes off the road for an average of 4.6 seconds out of every six seconds while texting. At 55 mph, he said, that means that during that time, the driver travels the length of a football field, including the end zones, without looking at the road.

[Edited 2010-01-26 12:18:11]

Scorpio

RE: U.S. Bans Truckers, Bus Drivers From Texting While

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Thread starter):
With LaHood leading the effort, supported by mounting evidence of the danger, Adkins predicted that this year could see an effort to ban cellphone use by all drivers.

You mean you don't have a ban on using cellphones behind the wheel yet??? That was banned here years ago, and for very good reason!

travelin man

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:28 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 1):
You mean you don't have a ban on using cellphones behind the wheel yet??? That was banned here years ago, and for very good reason!

Currently it's a state-by-state law (some states ban, while others do not).

Check out what happens when bus drivers text & drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCHdZxO4_tQ

Dreadnought

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:35 pm

Are these guys stupid or just malicious? If past history hasn't been enough to convince you that our government has begun completely ignoring the Constitution, here's another example.

Look, I think texting while driving should be banned. But the federal government has no constitutional authority to do it. The states must do it (and some already have, I believe).

As I recall, the national 55-mph limit had the same problem, but they got around that simply by requiring the states to adopt the 55-mph speed limit, or else they don't get certain federal highway funds. Blackmail perhaps, but technically Constitutional.

Hopefully this will be blocked in court - just to ensure the Federal Government is reminded of their place.

mNeo

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 3):

Isn't the DOT responsible for all commercial registered vehicles, as they often cross state lines with "commercial goods".

Yellowstone

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:01 pm

Quoting MNeo (Reply 4):
Isn't the DOT responsible for all commercial registered vehicles, as they often cross state lines with "commercial goods".

Bingo. Truckers are involved in interstate commerce, so the federal government can regulate them.

Dreadnought

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 5):
Bingo. Truckers are involved in interstate commerce, so the federal government can regulate them.

Perversion. You can't claim "interstate commerce" because a truck might one day cross a state border. Most stay pretty damned close to home (not talking about long-haul trucks here)

flanker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:34 pm

We all do this or at some point have. I just think think that banning something like this is really retarded. People are going to do it anyway. To actually think you can control what someone does with this particular solution is wrong. Another overreach of an ever growing federal government.

Maverick623

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:45 pm

But the federal government has no constitutional authority to do it.

For truckers working for a company that does interstate commerce, they do.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 6):
Perversion. You can't claim "interstate commerce" because a truck might one day cross a state border

Yes, you can. That's the whole point of the doctrine of interstate commerce, to provide some common regulation across state lines.

If your company engages in interstate commerce, any member of the fleet could be used.

Most stay pretty damned close to home

Tell ya what, next time you see a transport truck, tell me where it's registered.

Quoting Flanker (Reply 7):
People are going to do it anyway.

So we should take speeding laws off the books because people break them all the time?

Dreadnought

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 8):
Yes, you can. That's the whole point of the doctrine of interstate commerce, to provide some common regulation across state lines.

Again, I say that is a perversion. The intention of the interstate commerce clause was to ensure that states did not raise interstate barriers to trade and transport, not to police the minutia of what you are allowed to do in your vehicle.

flanker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:53 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 8):
So we should take speeding laws off the books because people break them all the time?

In no way did i imply that. However, speeding laws have much more of a real consequence than texting and talking while driving. Yes people can crash and die with both, but I think the reality of speeding is much more apparent to people. Speeding is also relative.

RussianJet

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:56 pm

Look, I think texting while driving should be banned.

Stop whingeing then. Any excuse to have a dig, eh? Even when something totally sensible and clearly in the public interest is enacted. Give it a rest already.

N1120A

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:56 pm

My question is whether or not CB radios are going to be exempt from the ban, given that a lot of laws are written pretty expansively. It will probably be so.

That said, I think there needs to be a ban on cops similarly using their cell phones while driving. I see it all the time.

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 1):

You mean you don't have a ban on using cellphones behind the wheel yet???

It goes state by state and it will stay that way for regular drivers.

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 2):

Currently it's a state-by-state law (some states ban, while others do not).

And it won't be a federal mandate unless Congress and the President decide to use highway, ARRA or other funds to entice the states to enact bans. Given the abject unpopularity of texting and hand held phone usage when driving, I doubt this is going to hurt anyone's political career.

Are these guys stupid or just malicious? If past history hasn't been enough to convince you that our government has begun completely ignoring the Constitution, here's another example.

Look, I think texting while driving should be banned. But the federal government has no constitutional authority to do it. The states must do it (and some already have, I believe).

The feds don't have the authority to ban regular drivers from such a thing, but they do have the authority to ban it in an industry they already regulate. Like truck and bus driving.

As I recall, the national 55-mph limit had the same problem, but they got around that simply by requiring the states to adopt the 55-mph speed limit, or else they don't get certain federal highway funds. Blackmail perhaps, but technically Constitutional.

It was absolutely constitutional, though it was also asinine.

Perversion. You can't claim "interstate commerce" because a truck might one day cross a state border. Most stay pretty damned close to home (not talking about long-haul trucks here)

You have absolutely no idea what interstate commerce is if you don't believe this is. Even the current, awful Supreme Court would uphold this. Truckers and bus drivers are regulated by the DOT and for good reason, because they are heavily involved in interstate commerce. If you don't think a UPS or FedEx driver is engaged in interstate commerce, you are out of your mind.

flanker

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:18 am

Quoting ATTart (Reply 14):
Here is another example of the dangers.

http://www.techjaws.com/texting-to-blame-for-california-train-crash/

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0152835520081002

No one is saying that its not dangerous. I am saying that the feds think they can stop something that is totally out of their control. Unlike cops catching you in the act speeding, i can text without even looking down at my phone. The only way for anyone to know i was texting is if god forbid something did happen they would go and check my text history.

Plus the truckers talk on the phones all the time.

ATTart

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 am

Quoting Flanker (Reply 15):
I am saying that the feds think they can stop something that is totally out of their control. Unlike cops catching you in the act speeding, i can text without even looking down at my phone. The only way for anyone to know i was texting is if god forbid something did happen they would go and check my text history.

Plus the truckers talk on the phones all the time.

Just because you can get away with it does not make it right!!!! But now there are consequences if one is caught texting. It may not stop you from doing it, but it might stop some else from texting..

Dreadnought

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:57 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 11):
Stop whingeing then. Any excuse to have a dig, eh? Even when something totally sensible and clearly in the public interest is enacted. Give it a rest already.

So disregarding the Constitution is OK if you think its a good idea? So much for the rule of law...

ATTart

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:14 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 17):

There are always loop holes...

[2] The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States or of any particular State.

cptkrell

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:23 am

Any break in the attention span whilst operating machinery (ANY break) will ultimtely lead to a mistake that will not only endager yourself, your machinery, or in worst case others.

These (this) law is good, ie: DUI laws are good, however it will be difficult to enforce.

As an anecdote, a li'l young lady drove into the rear of my pickemup truck today when I was in town. I would have just left without a problem with no damage to me but the front of her Mazda was crunched with little coolant left and no headlights operable and when the police were called, she admitted she was on her cell phone and did not "notice I was stopped at the red light".

Ho-hum, but bad news at freeway speeds. I'd like to go into what ratios of what I've witnessed as far as driver's sex goes, but I'll not start a flame war.

BTW; ever noticed people leaving their homes or place of business and the first thing they do is get on the cell phjne whilst driving?Can't you goobers make the friggen' call before pulling into trtaffic you dumb SOBs?? Regards...jack

KaiGywer

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:26 am

Quoting Flanker (Reply 10):
In no way did i imply that. However, speeding laws have much more of a real consequence than texting and talking while driving. Yes people can crash and die with both, but I think the reality of speeding is much more apparent to people. Speeding is also relative.

I admit I text and drive. I try not to, as I have found myself in situations that could potentially been dangerous.

No one is saying that its not dangerous. I am saying that the feds think they can stop something that is totally out of their control. Unlike cops catching you in the act speeding, i can text without even looking down at my phone. The only way for anyone to know i was texting is if god forbid something did happen they would go and check my text history.

You can also drive drunk without anybody knowing. The only way anyone would find out is if you're caught. Should drunk driving also be legal?

Funny sidenote. Myself and another officer were working a DWI saturation patrol when we observed a vehicle swerving and crossing the centerline. We followed the car for a few blocks, during which time the driver swerved both to the left and right. Thinking we had a drunk driver, we made the traffic stop. Driver was a 17 year old, stone sober, but told us "I was just texting". Here you go, here's your ticket for texting while driving.

dw747400

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:53 am

i can text without even looking down at my phone.

Hmm, I've always found incoming messages tough to read without looking at my phone.

Plenty of research has been done, and most studies indicate texting while driving is on par with driving drunk in terms of the dangers it presents. Speeding doesn't even come close.

But I suppose going after minor, easy to spot crime is a better use of our resources than dealing with a law that has much more of an impact on safety but is difficult to enforce. Some murders are really hard to solve... maybe we should reassign homicide detectives to shoplifting where we have often have an in-store video available.

I know I'm being a bit sensationalist, but the logic you are using is fatally flawed, and that's best shown by using an extreme example.

So if I operate a charter aircraft within the confines of a single state I can ignore the FARs?

PLANAR

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:23 am

That logic wouldn't fly here in RI - this state is just 44 miles across from north to south! I rarely see trucks that are registered in RI. Most of them are passing through.

CT has mobile usage banned. RI only recently enacted texting ban. But you still see people yakking away on their cell phones at 80 mph on a very busy I-95 - many of them scrambling for it as they cross into RI.

Ban mobile usage while driving.
Good move on part of administration.

FlyPNS1

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 am

So disregarding the Constitution is OK if you think its a good idea?

You had no problem with it when Bush was in office....now all the sudden you have a problem. Using your ridiculous interpretation, the war in Iraq was unconstitutional as the government does not have express consent to wage offensive wars. Of course, warrantless wiretapping, no child left behind, prescription drug act,etc would all be unconstitutional as well.

Dreadnought

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 23):
You had no problem with it when Bush was in office....now all the sudden you have a problem. Using your ridiculous interpretation, the war in Iraq was unconstitutional as the government does not have express consent to wage offensive wars. Of course, warrantless wiretapping, no child left behind, prescription drug act,etc would all be unconstitutional as well.

I started getting into an argument on your points, but then realized you are simply diverting the issue. Instead of trying to point to other examples of bad behavior, why don't you either 1) tell me what part of the constitution allows the federal government to regulate whether or not you pick your nose while driving (and how deeply you can dig), or 2) just admit what you really think - that the ends justify the means, and that Constitutionality is not a valid concern if the law/regulation is "good"?

Mir

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:19 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 24):
1) tell me what part of the constitution allows the federal government to regulate whether or not you pick your nose while driving (and how deeply you can dig)

If you work as a driver for a company that is involved in interstate commerce, then the commerce clause applies. And yes, it would be Constitutional to ban picking your nose while driving for those drivers. A completely stupid idea, of course, but it is possible to have a really stupid idea that is also Constitutional.

-Mir

Dreadnought

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:40 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 25):
If you work as a driver for a company that is involved in interstate commerce, then the commerce clause applies.

Strictly speaking, not if he never crosses state lines in the course of his business.

WarRI1

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:54 am

It is about time, when you are driving it is insane, stupid. You have peoples lives to consider. Only a moron does it.  Sad

TheCommodore

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:54 am

Here in Australia its been banned and I think that New Zealand is just about to follow suit..

Having said that there are alot of people who take no notice of this law, you can see swerving car's driving along Australian roads every day of the week, and its not down to our great Australian beer. 9 times out of 10 its because their either on the phone (not hands free) or texting

My personal opinion is that it should be banned. I think its a dangerous practice as its only adding another form of distraction that no one really needs whilst driving, as it is there are so many sign posts etc that one has to be aware of, why bring another element into the mix.

fridgmus

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:17 am

I've lost track of how many times, while riding my Harley in the US, I've been damn near run off the road and cut off by drivers who weren't paying attention because they were mostly yakking on their mobile phones and a few texting.

IMHO, state and local governments should have taken the lead on this A LONG TIME AGO!!!

As a side note, my riding jacket is Bright Yellow. Very hard to miss, unless.........

johns624

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:27 am

How is MCOflyer going to stay in touch with a.net?  Smile

mNeo

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:59 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 26):
Strictly speaking, not if he never crosses state lines in the course of his business.

The interstate commerce act applies to companies who do business across state lines. Since almost all of those companies do business with other states it goes under the same law. Now the driver himself might never leave the state, but as an employee of such company the rule applies to him. Now in the very small chance that there is a company out there, with trucks/buses that has offices/routes/vehicles registered in only one state, then this maybe be an issue. Until now it has been a legal precedent that employees are a part of a company and thus must obey the rules that govern the company(you can sue a company due to employee negligence)

Hope this makes it clear

Fly2HMO

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:05 am

I would fully endorse a system that would scramble cell signals therefore disabling them while in a car. Of course in an emergency (when airbags pop for instance) said system would go off.

And while we're at it, lets do it for planes too.

The CBP has a system like that at most airports. My phones never have signal when going through their area.

RussianJet

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:47 am

So disregarding the Constitution is OK if you think its a good idea? So much for the rule of law...

Yawn.

Texting + driving = dangerous.

Banning it = good.

Change the record. It's about public safety.

Mudboy

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:51 am

Hopefully this will be blocked in court - just to ensure the Federal Government is reminded of their place.

Quoting Flanker (Reply 7):
We all do this or at some point have. I just think think that banning something like this is really retarded. People are going to do it anyway. To actually think you can control what someone does with this particular solution is wrong. Another overreach of an ever growing federal government.

Quoting Flanker (Reply 10):

I have worked as a Paramedic and a Flight Nurse/Medic for a total of 17yrs, I can say that I have now seen more people killed and seriously injured because of texting or talking on their cellphone, than I have from DUI, DWI.

The majority of DUIs are at night, when there are fewer drivers on the road, but people text all day long in heavier traffic, and at night as well.If you have ever seen what an 18 wheeler can do to someone, you would think twice about your comments. How would you feel if your family was killed because someone was texting. while driving.

I think people that cause fatal wrecks while texting should be prosecuted for Manslaughter, the same as Drunks and Speeders.

If you are so selfish, that talking or texting on your cell, is more important than other driver's safety, it is not you that people are worried about getting killed, it is the other lives you endanger.

As for this not being Constitutional, I don't care! Safety for myself, and others is far more important, than being paranoid and crying about my civil rights being violated because the big, bad Gov, won't let my use my cell phone.

offloaded

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:35 am

Neither mobile phones nor driving a motor vehicle existed when the Constitution was written.

You have to have laws to protect people, sometimes from themselves and sometimes from others. You can't have "life, liberty, and the puruit of happiness" if it's a total free-for-all.

Do you really want someone driving an 80,000lb rig texting whilst at the wheel?

N1120A

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 25):
And yes, it would be Constitutional to ban picking your nose while driving for those drivers.

Actually, no it wouldn't, but for other reasons.

You are absolutely incorrect.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 34):

As for this not being Constitutional, I don't care!

Now THAT is a scary statement.

melpax

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 28):

Here in Victoria at least, it's got to the extent that it's now illegal to hold a phone while driving, even if you're not talking or texting on it - sales of bluetooth kits & phone holders went thru the roof when it became law. A good thing too.....

http://roadrules.vicroads.vic.gov.au...ones_and_visual_display_units.html

Mudboy

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:10 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
Now THAT is a scary statement.

Why don't you put my whole statement in there, instead of only the part that suits your cause?
This is what I said, since you left it out.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 34):
As for this not being Constitutional, I don't care! Safety for myself, and others is far more important, than being paranoid and crying about my civil rights being violated because the big, bad Gov, won't let my use my cell phone.

The point that I care more about safety, than someone that want's to cry and twist the constitution to fit their needs?? That makes me scary??

N1120A

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:14 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 38):

The point that I care more about safety, than someone that want's to cry and twist the constitution to fit their needs?? That makes me scary??

Do you think the government should be allowed to institute indiscriminate ID checks on US citizens in the name of "safety?" How about warrantless home searches?

Why don't you put my whole statement in there, instead of only the part that suits your cause?

You don't even know what my "cause" is, apparently.

Mudboy

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:27 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
You don't even know what my "cause" is, apparently.

It is not hard to see!!

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
Do you think the government should be allowed to institute indiscriminate ID checks on US citizens in the name of "safety?" How about warrantless home searches?

ID Checks, what is the big deal, I have nothing to hide?

As for searches, I think the 4th Amendment covers that one? Again, I don't see big brother knocking on my door?

But what does this have to do with banning cell phone usage, while driving?

Ok, since were are arguing civil rights, how about the 2nd Amendment:

What is more dangerous, the Gov trying to take away your guns, or some paranoid idiot that stockpiles guns, and thinks the Gov is coming to take them all away?

Mir

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:50 am

It would absolutely still apply. Take the case of your local FedEx driver. He just goes around delivering packages, never even leaving the same city. But yet he is involved in interstate commerce, because he is a part of the delivery chain used to get packages from one state to another, and many if not most of the packages in his truck originated in other states. The test is not whether the driver himself crosses state lines, rather whether the company he works for does business in two or more states.

Now if you're talking about a local delivery company, that's something else. And they would not be covered by this ban.

Yeah, it does, because that sort of logic has been used to justify all sorts of crap throughout history.

-Mir

N1120A

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 40):

It is not hard to see!!

Apparently it is. I DISAGREE with Dreadnaught's position. This is a Constitutional measure under the Commerce Clause.

ID Checks, what is the big deal, I have nothing to hide?

Privacy? Free movement of Americans?

As for searches, I think the 4th Amendment covers that one? Again, I don't see big brother knocking on my door?

And where do you think the slippery slope you are on leads to?

But what does this have to do with banning cell phone usage, while driving?

You have obviously not read any of my previous posts. My issue with what you said is that you seem all too willing to light up and smoke away the Constitution (it is written on cannabis paper after all) in the name of "safety."

Ok, since were are arguing civil rights, how about the 2nd Amendment:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. This is about Article I power, not the Bill of Rights.

Mudboy

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:10 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
Privacy? Free movement of Americans?

In this day and age? Are you serious? What free movement are you worried about being taken away?

And where do you think the slippery slope you are on leads to?

I am not one of these people that are worried about the big bad Gov. locking me up, and taking away all my rights?

You have obviously not read any of my previous posts. My issue with what you said is that you seem all too willing to light up and smoke away the Constitution (it is written on cannabis paper after all) in the name of "safety."

I think the problem is that people on the far right, and far left, is they are so close minded, that they think any change, whether it makes sense to the majority in the middle or not, is one step closer to their biggest fear coming to pass.

But explain to me your reasoning, as why a person's life who is driving down the road, should be at risk, because you feel it is unconstitutional that the Gov. passes a law that says, not to text and drive? Explain how your rights to use a cell phone are more important than a person's life?

N1120A

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 43):

In this day and age? Are you serious? What free movement are you worried about being taken away?

I'm sorry, but this isn't the Soviet Union.

I am not one of these people that are worried about the big bad Gov. locking me up, and taking away all my rights?

You should be.

I think the problem is that people on the far right, and far left, is they are so close minded, that they think any change, whether it makes sense to the majority in the middle or not, is one step closer to their biggest fear coming to pass.

The Constitution has nothing to do with what the majority thinks or wants. Constitutionalism is a specific check on majoritarian democracy.

But explain to me your reasoning, as why a person's life who is driving down the road, should be at risk, because you feel it is unconstitutional that the Gov. passes a law that says, not to text and drive? Explain how your rights to use a cell phone are more important than a person's life?

You are quoting the wrong guy to ask this one, and you have obviously not read my previous posts at all. I have already said that this regulation is CONSTITUTIONAL under the Commerce Clause. The Feds CAN do this, and they don't even have to use highway funds as a tactic. Now go read up on that.

KaiGywer

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:12 pm

As for searches, I think the 4th Amendment covers that one?

Tell me, where do you find the 4th Amendment? In the aforementioned Constitution you don't mind changing/ignoring.

Mudboy

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 45):
Tell me, where do you find the 4th Amendment? In the aforementioned Constitution you don't mind changing/ignoring.

In the Bill of Rights, between the 3rd and the 5th Amendment.
I am not a lawyer, so I am not one to claim to have studied and picked apart the US Constitution, but I would love to see any of you try to explain how Important it is to defend our rights, when someone one has just lost a loved one, in this said scenario.

glid4500

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:27 pm

This rule should not only be applied to all commercial vehicle operators or drivers like myself, but should also be applied to everyone with a commercial license. Out of all fairness, states with cell phone laws should toughen the fines and beef up unmarked patrol to catch violators.

As for commercial vehicles, I noticed quite a few bus and trucking companies are installing DriveCams on the curbside windshields...which, in my opinion is a great tool to not only determine whose at fault in an indicent / accident, but also monitor driver activity.

glid4500

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:17 pm

Quoting Glid4500 (Reply 47):
but should also be applied to everyone with a commercial license.

oops. shouldve proof-read earlier. I meant to say .... should also be applied to everyone with a license.

CrimsonNL

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:17 pm

I completely agree with this. How could you not be? Would you think its okay for a driver of an 18 wheeler to put a laptop on his lap and browse Anet pictures while driving? Would you think its okay for him to read the latest Dan Brown thriller? It's all the same. You need your eyes on the road. Pull over at the nearest rest area if you need to text.

My two (euro)cents