Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Rahm Puts His Foot In Mouth

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:23 am

footinmouth   footinmouth   footinmouth 

Come on Rahm use your head! This will be good for awhile. Palin won't let this go anytime soon. In a way many know how Rahm is and this really isn't a surprise. Imagine how he acts while he watches the November results as they come in?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/201...02/cm_huffpost/445513_201002020748
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

seb146

RE: Rahm Puts His Foot In Mouth

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:53 am

What is wrong with calling an action "f-ing retarted?" If the "PC Camp" has their way, the United States will be reduced to a series of grunts and clicks to communicate.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

JBirdAV8r

Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:03 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 1):
If the "PC Camp" has their way, the United States will be reduced to a series of grunts and clicks to communicate.

Do you like it when people call others derogatory slurs particular to your own minority status?
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 am

What is wrong with calling an action "f-ing retarted?" If the "PC Camp" has their way, the United States will be reduced to a series of grunts and clicks to communicate.

Hardly it's just a little wrong to call an action you deem stupid something along the lines of down syndrome.

lowrider

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:37 am

What is wrong with calling an action "f-ing retarted?"

Nothing, unless you belong to a political party that demands resignations for and dominates the news with every percieved slight or offense. Then you should probably just fall on your sword.
Proud OOTSK member

dxing

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:41 am

Harry Reid, Chris Matthews, and now Rahm Emanuel . The double standard is rarely on such fabulous display. It will be interesting to see how this one gets spun.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

OA412

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:45 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 2):

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 3):

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 4):

Quoting DXing (Reply 5):

Spare us all the fake outrage. If this were a Republican, you'd all be on here defending their actions and minimizing what they'd said. And for the record, he was an idiot for saying that and someone in his position needs to watch their mouth.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 6):
Spare us all the fake outrage

Ahhh yes if it's not Rachel Maddow or Matthews screaming it's fake outrage? Spare us your elitist propaganda. This guy is a tool and has a temper problem and much like Biden needs to use his head before he engages mouth.

jcs17

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 am

To be fair, I think Palin is trying to gain some cheap political points here, and I think it's fucking retarded. I use the word "retarded," or a variation of the word, probably at least once a day. I hate this tactic when it's used by Republican politicians, they sound like a race-baiting, PC-sensitive Democrat. I'm 50/50 on Palin, but this kind of crap is what drives me up the wall. Don't get me wrong, Rahm Emanuel is a despicable liberal politician, but unless he said, "they're retarded like Palin's last kid." Don't worry about it! Stop trying to make a big deal out of innocuous language that is used every day!
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

seb146

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:23 am

The way I read his statement is he was reacting to the actions and not using the word to describe those doing the action. But, I realize since it was a Dem saying it, it was clearly a slur against people and not actions and we should all be outraged and ban the Democratic party once and for all, right, Nik, DX, JCS, and KC?

Zentraedi

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:24 am

JCS17 hit the nail on the head. There's nothing wrong with what the man said.

This is about an attention whore trying to jump on anything she can. Seriously, can anyone think of another Republican that throws such petty feigned outrage fits? Even worse is the fact that she's trying to use her kids in this little game.

dxing

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:46 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 6):
And for the record, he was an idiot for saying that and someone in his position needs to watch their mouth.

Yet if his name was McConnell, McCain, or Johnson the line would be "someone in his position needs to be fired".

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 8):
To be fair, I think Palin is trying to gain some cheap political points here,

Yes, the fact that she actually has a child that in another time would have been called "retarded" has nothing to do with it.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 9):
The way I read his statement is he was reacting to the actions and not using the word to describe those doing the action.

(in which he said that liberal groups thinking of running health care-related ads against Democratic lawmakers were "F---ing retarded")

What part of the sentence escaped you?

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 10):
Even worse is the fact that she's trying to use her kids in this little game.

I'm sure she was thinking that exact thing when she got pregnant.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

MoltenRock

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:19 am

Ah yes, another desperate attempt by the hillbilly from Wasilla to get 5 minutes of airtime.

Rome burns, and wingnuts are angry about a comment made to a staffer, behind closed doors, and not about anyone of how retarded.

Geez, I'm so glad we've gotten 15 million people back to work, healthcare for all, a sound energy future for the 21st century, financial reform, and ended 2 wars we had running, as we debate the dismissal of a chief of staff for saying "retarded".

No, if anything is retarded, its thinking being upset about retarded comments is.

vikkyvik

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:32 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 4):

Nothing, unless you belong to a political party that demands resignations for and dominates the news with every percieved slight or offense. Then you should probably just fall on your sword.

That happens with both parties. It's really no use trying to say otherwise.

Emanuel probably shouldn't have said that. It doesn't offend me in the slightest, but it certainly won't make him look good.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 8):
To be fair, I think Palin is trying to gain some cheap political points here, and I think it's fucking retarded.

checkmark 

But to also be fair, that's what politicians do. They rag on other politicians for doing the same things they probably do in private.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 8):
I use the word "retarded," or a variation of the word, probably at least once a day.

checkmark 

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 8):
but unless he said, "they're retarded like Palin's last kid."

rotfl 

Yes, I found that funny.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 2):

Do you like it when people call others derogatory slurs particular to your own minority status?

(wasn't directed at me, but...) It doesn't bother me at all.

Say something like, "all Indians are geeky, smelly, socially awkward dumbasses", and I will find that funny as well. And I will probably agree. And then we can laugh together at what geeky, smelly, socially awkward dumbasses Indians are.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Aaron747

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:49 am

Bravo JCS17, you get it this time. DX, NIK, et al, this is a non-starter. There are so many other things to get Rahm Emanuel on - this is not one of them. If we heard the contents of conversations in the White House on a daily basis going back several administrations there would be more F-bombs and insults than one could shake a stick at. And frankly that's the way it should be - at least it means there's some passion at work.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 13):
Say something like, "all Indians are geeky, smelly, socially awkward dumbasses", and I will find that funny as well. And I will probably agree. And then we can laugh together at what geeky, smelly, socially awkward dumbasses Indians are.

Bravo again. If someone said Rahm Emanuel is clearly another egotistical power-hungry Jew with a temper problem, I'd agree since it's true on all counts. Having grown up in the community, I've certainly come to know my fair share who meet the same description - my father included. There's a big difference between that and "all Jews are conniving power-hungry egofreaks" - one statement is clearly hateful, the other is just stating facts about an individual.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

dxing

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:11 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 14):
DX, NIK, et al, this is a non-starter.

You're right. It's always a non-starter when someone on the left makes the comment. No need to get upset since it's all so predictable. Sooner or later someone on the right wll get caught saying something similar and the usual double standard will play itself out again. There will be an explosion of condemnation of not only the person who says whatever it is they say, but wholesale condemnation of everyone on the right as somehow being in agreement with that person.

Aaron747

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:13 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 15):
You're right. It's always a non-starter when someone on the left makes the comment.

It's not that cut and dry - the context always matters. There are some cases when the criticism is deserved and others where it isn't - this is the latter. Note the second half of my post.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

OA412

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:32 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 7):
Ahhh yes if it's not Rachel Maddow or Matthews screaming it's fake outrage?

Matthews I haven't watched in probably 5 years if not more and Rachel Maddow I have never watched so please try again.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 7):
Spare us your elitist propaganda.

Do you and others on the right who constantly talk about elitist propaganda even know what elitist means anymore? You've resorted to calling anyone who disagrees with you an elitist. The word has lost all context and meaning as used by Republicans.

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 10):
Even worse is the fact that she's trying to use her kids in this little game.

Yeah pretty low.

Quoting DXing (Reply 11):
Yet if his name was McConnell, McCain, or Johnson the line would be "someone in his position needs to be fired".

For the remark that Emmanuel made? Um, no.

Yes, the fact that she actually has a child that in another time would have been called "retarded" has nothing to do with it.

Please. She's using her child for political gain in this matter and that's that.

There's a big difference between that and "all Jews are conniving power-hungry egofreaks" - one statement is clearly hateful, the other is just stating facts about an individual.

Yeah tell that to those who would say that both the former and the latter statements that you made are anti-Semitic. The latter clearly is, but the former isn't, yet there are many people who refuse to make that distinction.

[Edited 2010-02-02 22:38:48]

dxing

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:41 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 16):
It's not that cut and dry - the context always matters.

Especially when the person making the comment is on the left. This is the third time in about as many weeks that the double standard they adhere too has been on full display.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 17):
For the remark that Emmanuel made? Um, no.

Um, yes.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 17):
Please. She's using her child for political gain in this matter and that's that.

So you are saying she has no right to stand up for her child or be offended at his remark? The funny part is that the left was so terribly upset at her during the campaign not for what she said, but for what others said that she did not instantly correct!

[Edited 2010-02-02 22:45:09]

JBirdAV8r

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 8):
I think it's fucking retarded. I use the word "retarded," or a variation of the word, probably at least once a day.

Hmm. In the course of my professional career, I have never used the words "f---ing retarded" to describe anything. Ever.

Profanity is used by a weak mind struggling to express itself.

Aaron747

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 19):
In the course of my professional career, I have never used the words "f---ing retarded" to describe anything. Ever.

True enough. But after work there has always been ample opportunity to combine everyone's favorite profanity with a litany of other suitable nouns and adjectives - and doing so does not make one a mushy-brained simpleton.

Quoting DXing (Reply 18):
Especially when the person making the comment is on the left. This is the third time in about as many weeks that the double standard they adhere too has been on full display.

Reid's comment was moronic and exposed him for what he is - it's the party's fault if they can't get rid of him to correct it. That is evidence of a double standard, yes. Rahm Emanuel's comment regarding a decision individuals made is not the same thing, not even the same game, much less ballpark. The point still stands - he's probably said far worse that we haven't heard.

So you are saying she has no right to stand up for her child or be offended at his remark? The funny part is that the left was so terribly upset at her during the campaign not for what she said, but for what others said that she did not instantly correct!

This is actually a very interesting point, but unfortunately it doesn't do much to improve her image overall. She's a has-been now and will continue to be. Hopefully the critic crowd will quiet down now that she's onto a meaningless TV career.

D L X

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Whine whine whine!! Seriously, that's what it sounds like! "We can't call people retards, so we're upset when you do! We want to be able to call people retards!"

Quit whining about the damn refs, NIKV. Winners beat their opponents. Losers whine about the refs. And don't think for a second that we would believe that you have never used this word.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 8):
To be fair, I think Palin is trying to gain some cheap political points here, and I think it's fucking retarded.

Absolutely spot on this time.

Bravo JCS17, you get it this time. DX, NIK, et al, this is a non-starter.

checkmark 

Quoting DXing (Reply 15):
You're right. It's always a non-starter when someone on the left makes the comment.

It's a non-starter when someone on the right makes that comment too. (BTW, note that Palin seems not to have a problem when people on the right say it.)

What really gets me is that this piece of work Palin thinks that this is equivalent to calling a black person the N-word. Okay, she's definitely more expert on retarded people than she is an expert on blacks. If they were equivalent, people wouldn't have to be told they are equivalent.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 12):
Ah yes, another desperate attempt by the hillbilly from Wasilla to get 5 minutes of airtime.

She doesn't need that elitst failure who can't even handle being COS to get airtime. Better be nice to her you may be calling her president in 3 years.

Geez, I'm so glad we've gotten 15 million people back to work, healthcare for all, a sound energy future for the 21st century, financial reform, and ended 2 wars we had running, as we debate the dismissal of a chief of staff for saying "retarded".

More so the fact he totally sucks at his job. Then again when you look at Holder and Napolitano well..How ironic is it that Hillary is the only person in the administration worth anything?. Then again leave him in there, will just help show him, the cabinet and his boss the door in 2012.

[Edited 2010-02-03 08:02:30]

[Edited 2010-02-03 08:02:57]

lowrider

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 6):
Spare us all the fake outrage. If this were a Republican, you'd all be on here defending their actions and minimizing what they'd said.

Fake outrage? I think you are seeing what you want to see. Try disgust that a person in a high profile leadership position would stoop to this. When someone is wrong, they are wrong regardless of party affiliation, and I have said so in the past. Is is so wrong to demand a higher level of conduct (or at least public conduct) from those in positions of significant power?

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 13):
That happens with both parties. It's really no use trying to say otherwise.

True, but it continues to happen because we continue to accept it. Rush, Hannity, et al. can rant all they want against this and it will be ignored. But if Mahr, Maddow, Olbermann, or Shapton would take it up, you can be sure that apologies would have already occurred. They will only do so if enough of thier fans make thier opinion known.
Proud OOTSK member

dxing

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:21 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 20):
Rahm Emanuel's comment regarding a decision individuals made is not the same thing, not even the same game, much less ballpark. The point still stands - he's probably said far worse that we haven't heard.

He was comparing the people to mentally challanged, not their decision regarding running ads against health care.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 20):
This is actually a very interesting point

Hmmm.....

Quoting D L X (Reply 21):
It's a non-starter when someone on the right makes that comment too. (BTW, note that Palin seems not to have a problem when people on the right say it.)

Didn't take long to prove that poin either did it Aarron?

D L X

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 24):
Didn't take long to prove that poin either did it Aarron?

now I see what the problem is. You don't know what it means to prove a point. How is my comment in response to your argument questioning whether she has no right to stand up for her child or be offended at his remark?

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:06 pm

Makes me wonder how they would they feel flying the Airbus: *puts on French accent* "REY-TARD! REY-TARD!"

Anyway:

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 8):
To be fair, I think Palin is trying to gain some cheap political points here, and I think it's fucking retarded. I use the word "retarded," or a variation of the word, probably at least once a day. I hate this tactic when it's used by Republican politicians, they sound like a race-baiting, PC-sensitive Democrat

checkmark 
When Republicans do this, they are lowering themselves to the level of the Democrats they often complain about. People use words like "retard" every day. "Gay" is another one that is often substituted for "Stupid". I hear people say "This is gay!" all the time.

The way I read his statement is he was reacting to the actions and not using the word to describe those doing the action. But, I realize since it was a Dem saying it, it was clearly a slur against people and not actions and we should all be outraged and ban the Democratic party once and for all, right, Nik, DX, JCS, and KC?

But clearly you didn't read the rest of the thread, since in your effort to just smear the right-wingers on here that you dislike, you just decided to throw JCS's name on the list despite him having said "Don't worry about it! Stop trying to make a big deal out of innocuous language that is used every day!" IN THE POST ABOVE YOU.

If you had any integrity you would apologize for incorrectly labeling JCS and attempting to call him out, but I'm sure instead you'll find an excuse to avoid doing so and just go back to your usual ways of being just as annoying and as bad as the right-wing blows-hards you attempt to call "hypocrasy" on.

Quoting D L X (Reply 21):
Quit whining about the damn refs, NIKV. Winners beat their opponents. Losers whine about the refs.

I thought it was "Losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen!" - Sean Connery, The Rock  biggrin 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

MoltenRock

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:16 pm

The fact that the biggest thing Republicans can carp and whine about is an Obama staffer saying "retard". When the rolls were reversed Democrats "whined and carped" about ginned up evidence for war, Blackwater slaying innocent people, shoddy, no bid military construction contracts given to Halliburton that were electrocuting our troops, Constitutional breeches by phone tapping illegally, and the list of illegal activities goes on. For which Republicans didn't lift a finger to solve.

But hey, that Obama needs to be impeached over a staffer saying "retard"!

If that's all the opposition has to complain about? It's time to seriously think about those FEMA camps again IMO.

EA772LR

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:20 pm

If the "PC Camp" has their way, the United States will be reduced to a series of grunts and clicks to communicate.

The PC Camp is the Liberal Democratic Party. It's Liberals protesting 'Merry Christmas', no Nativity Scenes, and the list goes on. PC was invented by Liberals.

Quoting DXing (Reply 5):
Harry Reid, Chris Matthews, and now Rahm Emanuel . The double standard is rarely on such fabulous display.

rotfl  It's quite amazing how quickly their party has started to burn.

Well the accomplishments you've listed above were never attainable under this administration, so you can go ahead and leave that out of this conversation.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
More so the fact he totally sucks at his job.

checkmark  And everyday that passes by is further proof that Obama is a Liar-In-Chief, not very bright, and completely inept at getting America back on its feet. I welcome 2012 with open arms!
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

BMI727

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Getting so bent out of shape about a simple comment where Rahm was expressing his opinion is, well, f***ing retarded.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

seb146

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:37 pm

The way I read his statement is he was reacting to the actions and not using the word to describe those doing the action.

(in which he said that liberal groups thinking of running health care-related ads against Democratic lawmakers were "F---ing retarded")

What part of the sentence escaped you?

The outrage. That is what escapes me. Why should we be outraged over something that only one woman finds offensive? I just wonder, if she had not said anything, if anyone else would care?

In the course of my professional career, I have never used the words "f---ing retarded" to describe anything. Ever.

Good for you. Many of us have. Some of us who are educated, regardless of party affiliation, let out a string of obcenities when we can not get a bolt unscrewed, hit our thumb with a hammer, run over a hose with the lawn mower, come close to a crazy driver on the insterstate. People say things. It is not ment as a slur or slam againsta an entire group of people.

Or, there is no other way to express ones self. The woman who sued McDonalds over the hot coffee because "nobody told me..." That is just f-ing retarted. When a person orders coffee, unless they specifically say "ICED coffee" it is going to be hot.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 26):
If you had any integrity you would apologize for incorrectly labeling JCS and attempting to call him out, but I'm sure instead you'll find an excuse to avoid doing so and just go back to your usual ways of being just as annoying and as bad as the right-wing blows-hards you attempt to call "hypocrasy" on.

One post, JCS decides this is a non issue, and I commend him on that. However, he does side with the other right-wingers who fake outrage and scream about hypocrisy is why I included him in the list. This *ONE SUBJECT*, he should NOT be included in that list. But, I was thinking overall, when I wrote that post.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 30):
This *ONE SUBJECT*, he should NOT be included in that list. But, I was thinking overall, when I wrote that post.

You couldn't even apologize. Instead you make excuses. Just as I expected and predicted. This marks the second time in just a couple days that you've attempted this excuse to try to redirect when you were caught mislabeling another user incorrectly. The other time was when you did this with Aaron747 in the other thread about Pelosi. Whether you'll admit it or not, everything is partisan to you, and even if it's not, YOU will find a way to make it so. You will unnecessarily call out and label those who disagree with you. You're as bad as the right-wingers on here who do the same thing and it contributes nothing to the discussion other than showing how partisan you are deep down. It's predictable and it's not just getting old; it already is.

Some of us who are educated

hypocrisy

For someone who is "educated", it took you how long to learn to spell that word correctly?  sarcastic 

You must not be a golfer or much of a sports fan in general.  wink 
I would agree that yes, if you are having a debate with someone, and their only response is continuously "Well you're a f***ing idiot" or "that's so f***ing dumb", then yes it, I can agree where using profanity over and over shows a lack of the ability to compile an effective argument. That's why I haven't been on myspace forums in nearly 4 years. That's how people "discuss topics" over there. But if someone is boarding a CRJ and hits his head on the doorframe as he is walking through and just says "SHIT!" as his natural instinctive response, I don't think it's weak minded.

As for Palin and the Republicans, can't we be focusing our resources on something better than someone dropping the f-bomb and using the word "retarded"? 2010 is ours to lose at this point, so let's not piss off the country by worrying about minute things like this and pretending we are high and mighty and never say such things and hand off what should be an easy election to gain back a significant amount of ground in Washignton.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

JBirdAV8r

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 31):
You must not be a golfer or much of a sports fan in general.

Heheh....well, there are always certain exceptions to every rule.... 

I know YOU know what I meant, but for those that don't...I NEVER swear in any sort of business setting...no matter how much the other person does.

mirrodie

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:17 pm

What is wrong with calling an action "f-ing retarted?

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 3):
it's just a little wrong to call an action you deem stupid something along the lines of down syndrome.

I think the focus that Palin is putting on this actually makes little sense.

Rahm made a remark calling an action retarded. Look up "retarded" in the dictionary and it does not point to Downs.
By engaging Emmanuel in the PC war, Palin is the one effectively linking any use of the term "retarded" to apply to Downs patients.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

OA412

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 17):For the remark that Emmanuel made? Um, no.
Um, yes.

Believe what you wish to believe, but you're wrong.

So you are saying she has no right to stand up for her child or be offended at his remark?

Of course she does, but I think it's pretty obvious that she's using her child for political point scoring in this instance.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
She doesn't need that elitst failure

I asked you before and you conveniently ignored it so I'll ask again. Do you even know what elitist means anymore? You brand everyone who disagrees with you or the Republicans an elitist. Look up the word and at least use it properly.

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 23):
Fake outrage? I think you are seeing what you want to see. Try disgust that a person in a high profile leadership position would stoop to this. When someone is wrong, they are wrong regardless of party affiliation, and I have said so in the past. Is is so wrong to demand a higher level of conduct (or at least public conduct) from those in positions of significant power?

No I'm not. I'm seeing fake outrage, and now fake disgust, plastered all over this thread. If a Republican had made this exact same comment, those who are screaming for Rahm Emmanuel's head would be defending them. It was a stupid comment and he shouldn't have said it, but the reaction is way over the top by some people on this thread and totally out of proportion to the "actual" crime. Had a Republican made this comment I'd be saying the same thing because, in the grand scheme of things, it's really not anything worse than we hear in everyday conversation.

Quoting EA772LR (Reply 28):
It's Liberals protesting 'Merry Christmas', no Nativity Scenes, and the list goes on. PC was invented by Liberals.

Yeah we're all out there burning Christmas trees, trashing nativity scenes, peeing on Jesus, etc. Some of you guys have got to stop believing the demagogues hook, line, and sinker and start doing some independent thinking and some independent research into matters you clearly don't know anything about.

MoltenRock

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 33):
I think the focus that Palin is putting on this actually makes little sense.

It is a bit laughable that the wordsmith extraordinaire Palin is setting the standards of the Republican faux outrage machine of what is "offensive". I wonder how many days will pass before a video will show up with her using the same or similar phrase that she's condemning Rahm for, and how many on the other side of the aisle will be declaring it wasn't similar or the same. LOL

Has anyone gotten Joe The Plumber™ on the line to ask him his expert opinion on this matter?

Politics in America ala 2010, classic. John Adams and George Washington would be proud.

D L X

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:07 pm

NIKV, DXing, EA777LR and Lowrider, please confirm to us on this thread that you have never used the word "Retard" or "Retarded" in the last 2 years. That will go far to helping us know if this is fake outrage.

I thought it was "Losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen!" - Sean Connery, The Rock

That too.  

vikkyvik

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Quoting EA772LR (Reply 28):
The PC Camp is the Liberal Democratic Party. It's Liberals protesting 'Merry Christmas', no Nativity Scenes, and the list goes on. PC was invented by Liberals.

...And yet it's the Republicans/Conservatives in this thread who are outraged.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 29):
Getting so bent out of shape about a simple comment where Rahm was expressing his opinion is, well, f***ing retarded.

checkmark 

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 23):
True, but it continues to happen because we continue to accept it. Rush, Hannity, et al. can rant all they want against this and it will be ignored. But if Mahr, Maddow, Olbermann, or Shapton would take it up, you can be sure that apologies would have already occurred. They will only do so if enough of thier fans make thier opinion known.

So what's the solution? Conservatives make it known that they want apologies too? So every public figure has to apologize to someone for every little thing they say that could offend somebody somewhere?

I'd rather go in completely the other direction.

Hmm. In the course of my professional career, I have never used the words "f---ing retarded" to describe anything. Ever.

Generalizations are used by a weak mind struggling to express itself.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

D L X

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 37):
So what's the solution? Conservatives make it known that they want apologies too? So every public figure has to apologize to someone for every little thing they say that could offend somebody somewhere?

I'd rather go in completely the other direction.

checkmark 

Circle gets a square.

ATTart

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:13 pm

Speaking of people putting their foot in their mouth. It happens on both sides. The source of this is from CNN Rick's list, he also included Rahm on this list you don't want to be on..

Spot two on this List U Don't Want 2 B On goes to Congresswoman Michele Bachmann. The Minnesota Republican, speaking before a group of citizens, said this:

"In Japan, people have stopped voicing their opinion on health care. There are things that are wrong with Japanese health care, but people are afraid of voicing. Because they know that would get them on a list and they wouldn't get health care."

Wow, really? That happens in Japan? What's her source? Some guy.

No, really. She says "a fellow who ran into me in the hall in Washington D.C." told her the Japan story, and she repeated it in a formal speech. She then used it as a shocking anecdote to illustrate a possible American future of so-called "gangster government" and "absolute corruption" when it comes to health care.

A guy in the hallway, Congresswoman? By the way, we checked and found no credible evidence that what Rep. Bachmann's friend in the hallway said is true.
Remember: When someone talks behind your back, it only means you're two steps ahead of them!

jcs17

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:20 pm

Your trophy is in the mail.

When Republicans do this, they are lowering themselves to the level of the Democrats they often complain about. People use words like "retard" every day. "Gay" is another one that is often substituted for "Stupid". I hear people say "This is gay!" all the time.

Be careful, my company has brought in diversity trainers for that very statement. I can't even call a grown man driving a pink VW Beetle gay any longer in my office. That said, if want to they can take away the word "retarded" from my cold, dead mouth.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 36):
NIKV, DXing, EA777LR and Lowrider, please confirm to us on this thread that you have never used the word "Retard" or "Retarded" in the last 2 years. That will go far to helping us know if this is fake outrage.

I haven't used that word in that fashion since I was in my early to mid 20's. It's that old and went out that long ago. Yet good to see hot tempered, ill mannered Rahm using it. I am glad this came out. I mean we don't need this to expose him for the utter failure he turned to be.

D L X

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:51 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 41):
the utter failure he turned to be.

That means so much coming from someone like you.Yup, not biased at all.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 41):
I haven't used that word in that fashion since I was in my early to mid 20's. It's that old and went out that long ago.

So, have you apologize to all the people with Down's that you said it yet? I'm just trying to make sure you're not a hypocrite.

dxing

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:52 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 25):
now I see what the problem is.

No you don't and as usual you rarely do. How's that case against the Salahis coming? Have then been to court yet?

Quoting D L X (Reply 25):
How is my comment in response to your argument questioning whether she has no right to stand up for her child or be offended at his remark?

That you would make a point that she doesn't have a right to stand up for her child is point enough to show that you don't get it.

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 27):
But hey, that Obama needs to be impeached over a staffer saying "retard"!

This has nothing to do with the President and everything to do with his chief of staff.

hy should we be outraged

No reason to be outraged. Plenty of reason to be dismayed.

something that only one woman finds offensive?

One woman? I guess you missed the memo about the meeting at the White House today.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...Olympics_Apology_not_accepted.html

Quoting OA412 (Reply 34):
Believe what you wish to believe, but you're wrong.

That is a matter of personal opinion and nothing more.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 34):
Of course she does, but I think it's pretty obvious that she's using her child for political point scoring in this instance.

Yep, she had a downs syndrome child just so she could score political points.

lowrider

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 36):
Lowrider, please confirm to us on this thread that you have never used the word "Retard" or "Retarded" in the last 2 years.

I have used it in various contexts, such as "retarding the timing on my motorcycle". But as an insult? No. Happy?

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 37):
So what's the solution?

Stop giving them a pass, just because they are the "good" guys. Don't tolerate anything from them that you wouldn't tolerate from an employee. My congressman ignores my email. He knows he will never get my vote. But angry letters from registered Democrats, or better yet, an editorial from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, would get his attention. We need to worry at least as much about holding the people we agree with accountable as those we disagree with.
Proud OOTSK member

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 42):
That means so much coming from someone like you.Yup, not biased at all.

So your telling me Rahm has done a good job? Please. This first year has been a disgrace. The only person in the Obama admin worth anything is Hillary.

Quoting D L X (Reply 42):
So, have you apologize to all the people with Down's that you said it yet? I'm just trying to make sure you're not a hypocrite.

I wasn't proud of it and it was wrong. You think your COS will have enough guts to do that?

vikkyvik

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:20 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 44):
Stop giving them a pass, just because they are the "good" guys. Don't tolerate anything from them that you wouldn't tolerate from an employee. My congressman ignores my email. He knows he will never get my vote. But angry letters from registered Democrats, or better yet, an editorial from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, would get his attention. We need to worry at least as much about holding the people we agree with accountable as those we disagree with.

I hear what you're saying, but once again, it applies to both parties and their respective candidates and voters.

As for myself, it's not easy to say something for which I think you should apologize, so I probably won't be calling for any apologies anytime soon.

Aaron747

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:23 am

Quoting ATTart (Reply 39):
Spot two on this List U Don't Want 2 B On goes to Congresswoman Michele Bachmann. The Minnesota Republican, speaking before a group of citizens, said this:

"In Japan, people have stopped voicing their opinion on health care. There are things that are wrong with Japanese health care, but people are afraid of voicing. Because they know that would get them on a list and they wouldn't get health care."

Now that is f****n' retarded. A black list? Everyone is 100% guaranteed health care. She's probably never even been here. And if you want to see people voicing their opinions on health care, just look at the average weekday morning geriatric crowd that gathers outside a typical hospital 

ATTart

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:28 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 47):
Now that is f****n' retarded. A black list? Everyone is 100% guaranteed health care. She's probably never even been here. And if you want to see people voicing their opinions on health care, just look at the average weekday morning geriatric crowd that gathers outside a typical hospital

I knew you would would have fun with this one..  cheeky 
Remember: When someone talks behind your back, it only means you're two steps ahead of them!

Zentraedi

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:59 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 35):
It is a bit laughable that the wordsmith extraordinaire Palin is setting the standards of the Republican faux outrage machine of what is "offensive". I wonder how many days will pass before a video will show up with her using the same or similar phrase that she's condemning Rahm for, and how many on the other side of the aisle will be declaring it wasn't similar or the same. LOL

http://politicalwire.com/archives/20...lin_and_political_correctness.html

Hmmm, seems like just a few weeks ago Sarah Palin told Glen Beck that she was worried about the United States turning into a country where people couldn't use words that were "politically incorrect."

lol.