Aesma

RE: Interesting Poll Among Republicans

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 18):
Oof. That's some serious neanderthal action going on. Gays can't serve their country, teach children, get married, or even have civil unions. That's the GOP agenda for gays, which makes the existence of the Log Cabin Republicans that much more of a mystery.

Hmmm...The question did not even address civil unions yet the author has not implied, but concluded that republicans are against civil unions.

It addressed benefits, isn't the point of civil unions to get those ?

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 44):
A poll that is conducted by a single individual has absolutely ZERO believability with me. There are no internal controls. No meeting between people to go over the methodology and confirm that "yes, this works, we are ready to put our company name on it."

Some polls by "serious pollsters" are obviously biased so it's not much of an argument.

I particularly like when there is some premise in the question, that is not even mentioned when the poll is cited.

Something like : The recession is very bad, millions of people are jobless and homeless, do you think Obama is a good president ?

Then, on Fox, you have the poll saying the question was "Do you think Obama is a good president ?

I'm not following the day to day politics of the US, and I'm not there, but from here the fact that abortion or civil unions or evolution are still important political topics appear very strange for a country like the US.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

EA772LR

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 9):
We all know that, short of going to every elections office in ever district all over this country and contacting every single name on voter rolls, there is really no accurate way of taking the pulse of the nation. When polls come out, this same sh*t happens.

Unfortunately polls are polls, and in many cases aren't accurate at all.

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 2):
I'll beat our republican friends here by calling BS on this poll. I refuse to believe that the average Republican is as retarted and backward as that poll seems to suggest.

Well, I'm not a Republican, though I am Conservative, I'm calling BS on this poll too. For one, if it was used on Rachel Maddows, it immediately is going to be something bashing the Right, and should obviously not be taken seriously. Second, it's the Daily Kos. The Daily Kos cannot hold any more credibility with Liberals than say The Heritage foundation. Both are biased sources. It's why I hate polls, and because there are polls that are so far skewed or biased, it ruins the credibility in many cases for all kinds of polls, especially polls as broad and general as one like this.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

seb146

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Quoting EA772LR (Reply 51):
The Daily Kos cannot hold any more credibility with Liberals than say The Heritage foundation. Both are biased sources.

But, when a group like Heritage Foundation comes out with some kind of poll, right-wingers rally around the numbers and shout down anyone that questions it. Could it be that Kos requested an estimate for conducting a poll and this Research 2000 came in with the lowest bid? Or, could it be that other "major" polling companies simply did not want to get into such a partisan poll because stupid sh*t like what we are witnessing in this thread would happen (i.e. "They are liberal. They are biased. Therefore, they can not be trusted.")?

Nah... Couldn't be any of those....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

EA772LR

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 52):
But, when a group like Heritage Foundation comes out with some kind of poll, right-wingers rally around the numbers and shout down anyone that questions it.

Agreed, but that doesn't suddenly make the Daily Kos credible either.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 52):
Could it be that Kos requested an estimate for conducting a poll and this Research 2000 came in with the lowest bid? Or, could it be that other "major" polling companies simply did not want to get into such a partisan poll because stupid sh*t like what we are witnessing in this thread would happen (i.e. "They are liberal. They are biased. Therefore, they can not be trusted.")?

Possibly a bit of all above.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

kc135topboom

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:10 pm

For those who have not looked at Research 2000, here is the web site. For someone who claims to be non-partisan, he sure writes a lot of opinions.

http://www.research2000.us/

He seems to also post opinions by kos on his web page.................. (complete with a false claim that 59% of Americans support the single payer health care proposed ObamaCare)

OH-08: Boehner’s lost constituents
by kos
Mon Oct 12, 2009 at 09:26:02 AM PDT

It seems the Daily Kos and Reasearch have an unusual relationship.

DeltaMD90

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Don't tell me all of you have never seen (or done) a poll where the person will just pick the answer that's against their opponent, especially when they don't take the poll seriously. It's not inconceivable to see someone getting a call from a random guy, getting asked "Do you think Obama is American born" or whatever, and the Republican will just laugh, give the anti-Obama answer, and not care one bit.

Another example, have you seen anyone fill out a restaurant survey and put "Poor, poor, poor, poor, poor"? Even if correct collection means were used, I doubt the people being polled took this seriously.

johnboy

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 am

Interestingly enough, Rachel Maddow just flashed a screen shot of a Fox News cast using a poll showing potential Republican candidates in 2012. A Research 2000 poll.....I guess it was good enough for them, eh?  
Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 22):
Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 7):
Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 4):
Did you notice the author does not have the balls to put his name on the story? Did he/she think they were fooling anyone with those questions?

No, the author's name is on the story - note the "by kos" line at the top. "kos" is the username of dailykos.com site founder and publisher Markos Moulitsas.

Since I don't follow the daily kos, how am I to know him from his "user name"?

*awkward*

WestWing

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:07 am

Quoting johnboy (Reply 56):
a screen shot of a Fox News cast using a poll showing potential Republican candidates in 2012. A Research 2000 poll.....I guess it was good enough for them, eh?

DailyKos had a blog entry about this as well, which can be read here for anyone interested.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.