L-188
Topic Author

Phil Harris Has Died

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:10 am

Hey guys.

It was just announced that Phil Harris, capt of the Cornelia Marie, from "Deadliest Catch" fame has died. He was 53.

He had suffered a stoke while offloading opilio crab at St Paul last week.

He was one of the captians I actually liked on the show ever since he piped that Northwestern post back in season 2. But unfortunately he was still a Seattle based fisherman stealing Alaska's resources

[Edited 2010-02-09 23:13:35]
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

L-188
Topic Author

RE: Phil Harris Has Died

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:14 am

Sorry can't get the link to post....

Seattle PI obit.../
www.seattlepi.com/local/415241_harrisobit10.html

stratosphere

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:01 am

Damn, Sorry to hear that..I really like that show and Phil was one of my favorites. He lived a tough life and had his vices much like I do although I don't smoke...I knew after the one episode with the blood clots he was having if he didn't do some radical changes in his life he would not be long for this world....RIP Phil.....

Goldenshield

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:29 am

Wasn't this the same guy who had cancer/blood clots or some such? He had to leave mid-haul for St. Paul island, where he left the ship to his sons?

Also, whenever I think I Phil Harris, I always think of this guy:

[Edited 2010-02-10 03:31:58]
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

GrahamHill

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 am

Very sad to hear that   . Harris was one of my favourite character of Deadliest Catch.

RIP   
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

lhr380

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:05 pm

I was trying to figure out why I knew the name.
Always a good show to watch and the captains were the pivotal part of it all, including Phil.

RIP
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

kc135topboom

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 3):
Wasn't this the same guy who had cancer/blood clots or some such? He had to leave mid-haul for St. Paul island, where he left the ship to his sons?

Yes, he had blood clots in his lungs, IIRC. He brought in another ship's Capt (forgot his name) as neither of his sons hold a USCG Capt's rating. I believe Capt Phil was out for the rest of that season and the following Opie season, but finally returned for the following King Crab season.

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 5):
Always a good show to watch and the captains were the pivotal part of it all, including Phil.

I always enjoyed watching Deadlest Catch, it is a great show. Did the other crab boat Capts. attend the funeral? They always seemed to get along well while ashore, but of course once they left the dock, it was different, esspecially the Capt. of the Northwestern, but I forgot his name, he is a Norwegion guy.

RIP, Capt. Phil, fair winds, calm seas, and full pots, my friend.

MCOflyer

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:30 pm

RIP Captain Phil. You were one of my favorites and will be. I can not imagine what his sons are going through.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

jfk69

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Sad to hear. At least he was doing what he loved when he died.

boeingfever777

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 6):
He brought in another ship's Capt (forgot his name) as neither of his sons hold a USCG Capt's rating.

Relief Capt. Murray Gamrath
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

D L X

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

What a sad day. I was greatly looking forward to the next season of Deadliest Catch, but now it will be more bitter than sweet.

Newark777

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:24 pm

This guy will be happy:

http://i46.tinypic.com/svtlyf.jpg
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

aaflt1871

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Quoting L-188 (Thread starter):
He was one of the captians I actually liked on the show ever since he piped that Northwestern post back in season 2. But unfortunately he was still a Seattle based fisherman stealing Alaska's resources

Seriously, grow up with that stealing Alaska's resources stuff. You or any other Alaskan can go buy a boat and claim what is yours, if not, dont complain about the people that do it.
Where did everybody go?

MCOflyer

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:07 pm

His sons may not hold a Capt license but as boat owners (that is if they inherited the boat), they do not need too. From the time bandits website:

"What are the requirements to captain a commercial crab boat? If someone owns a boat they are not required to have a Captain’s License. If they don’t, they are required to obtain a Captain’s license."

KH

kappel

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 6):
esspecially the Capt. of the Northwestern, but I forgot his name, he is a Norwegion guy.

Sig Hanson. I just saw the opie season '09 and he and the guy from the Wizard (Keith Colburn) were not very friendly with each other, because Keith was fishing right where Phil was.

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 2):
I knew after the one episode with the blood clots he was having if he didn't do some radical changes in his life he would not be long for this world

Yeah, and he said it himself (during one of the first episodes he was back) that he needed to make changes. But he kept smoking like crazy. Too bad... the show won't be the same. I fear for Sig as well, he had chest pains during the last opie season. I hope he takes care of himself. He quite smoking... for a few hours after that. These guys have a very unhealthy lifestyle, not enough sleep, lots of stress, lots of smoking and bad food.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 7):
RIP Captain Phil. You were one of my favorites and will be.

He was one of my favourites as well. At least we still have the Time Badit guys, but Phil will be sorely missed, not in the least by his family of course....

I can not imagine what his sons are going through

Must be truly terrible.. 53 is way too young to go....
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

boeingfever777

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 13):

Alaskaboating.org and the USCG.mil maritime both state that you must hold a Class 1 license and a Medical Cert.

MCOflyer

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Quoting boeingfever777 (Reply 15):

You make a valid point; however I am thinking they will get them. That leaves the Captain License situation. If Cornelia decides to hand over more than 50% ownership of the boat, couldn't the license thing would be over righted as Jake and Josh would be majority owners? Correction on who took over in St. Paul: it was Dennis (do not know last name).

KH

[Edited 2010-02-10 09:34:26]

StuckInCA

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:07 pm

Seattle based fisherman stealing Alaska's resources

Why don't you move out of Alaska and give it back to the native inhabitants if legacy and "ownership" is so important to you?

RIP Mr. Harris.

TristarAtLCA

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:25 pm

Very sad news. He seemed genuine and grounded and as has been stated above, just 53 years old.

RIP Big Phil.
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

Springbok747

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:41 pm

I just saw the news on BBC now....very sad to hear. He was one of my favourite characters on the Deadliest Catch. RIP Mr. Harris!
אני תומך בישראל

CrimsonNL

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Very sad news. Have been watching the show since season one. I'm sorry to hear he passed away. My thoughts go to his friends and family.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Blackprojects

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Stress Caffinee and Nicotine the three primay food groups on the Bearing Sea.

I will miss watching captain Phil emptying the red bull Tray on his vessel on one show I saw one of his crew do the math and work out That Phil

had had 56 red bulls in 5 days.

canoecarrier

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:43 pm

As an Alaskan you should know that most of the people there consider Seattle their second home anyway. Without the fishing fleet in Ballard/Fremont/Bellingham/etc. that routinely goes up there during salmon/crab season a significant number of people wouldn't have jobs in AK. That being said the AK fishery is one of the best regulated in the world. I'd hardly call it stealing.

This is sad though. I have seen a number of the boats in the show here in Seattle, even catching the North American going through the locks to Lake Union once and Phil's boat tied up next to the Northwestern and Time Bandit down by the Edgewater during a fan event.

Fishing in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska is a tough dangerous business, just as or even more so than the industry I used to work in, logging. Anyone that can do it has my utmost respect.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Revelation

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 12):
Seriously, grow up with that stealing Alaska's resources stuff. You or any other Alaskan can go buy a boat and claim what is yours, if not, dont complain about the people that do it.

And he is even getting oil tax revenue checks from the State of Alaska to help him fund his adventures.

Must be nice...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

JMackey

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Just feel sick for the Harris family and the crew of the Cornelia Marie who worked with this great man everyday, may God be with you all.
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning

boeingfever777

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 16):
Correction on who took over in St. Paul: it was Dennis (do not know last name).

MCO... Don't know who your talking of or what. The only relief Capt. the CM has had is Murray Gamrath. he is Phil's best friend from when Josh was born.

ClassicLover

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 pm

RIP Captain Phil!

A great man who no doubt will be missed!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

MCOflyer

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:25 pm

Quoting boeingfever777 (Reply 25):

Boeing,

Murray Gamrath was replaced by Steve last season. There is proof that Murray did not fly out to take over; It was close friend Dennis.

KH

boeingfever777

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 27):

Did Murray finally retire?

L-188
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:42 am

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 12):
or any other Alaskan can go buy a boat and claim what is yours

Not since IFQ's where enacted 3 years ago.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 22):
Without the fishing fleet in Ballard/Fremont/Bellingham/etc. that routinely goes up there during salmon/crab season a significant number of people wouldn't have jobs in AK

The local hire statistics for the commercial fishing industry are horrific. Theyse guys are taking their incoming and running. Do you know why all the processers anchor 3 miles of the shoreline of Bristol bay during the salmon run? Answer: To avoid state employment and enviromental restrictions.

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 17):
Why don't you move out of Alaska and give it back to the native inhabitants if legacy and "ownership" is so important to you?

I was born here dude, as where my parents. Why would I move to someplace that sucked like Seattle or California?

That being said the AK fishery is one of the best regulated in the world.

The folks on the Yukon that had their subsistance king fishery closed while the trawl fleet is allowed a 60,000 bycatch will probably disagree with that....BTW, all those trawl boats are Seattle based, owned and hire from their home ports, not Alaska...

I'd hardly call it stealing.

They take the resource and the money home with them. No benefit to this state, it is stealling.

As I said I liked Capt. Phil, but he and the Cornelia Marie, and the Northwestern are symptomatic of the problems we face up here by Seattle based fishermen destroy our resources out of the reach of state regulation, and out of the mind of the feds.

MCOflyer

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:57 am

Quoting boeingfever777 (Reply 28):

Yes he retired during last season. I know Lenny, the engineer, on board the wizard was slated to retire to spend time with his daughter. He appears on the crew list for the 09-2010 season.

KH

L-188
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 am

They say Murray retired, but I have heard from a couple different sources that he was running the CM tendering the salmon gillnet fleet out of Togiak.

A lot of the crabbers do that in the summer.

canoecarrier

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 30):
The folks on the Yukon that had their subsistance king fishery closed while the trawl fleet is allowed a 60,000 bycatch will probably disagree with that.

Alaska's constitution is unique in that an entire section (Article VIII) is devoted to the management of natural resources. "Maximum benefit of its people" and "Management of renewable resources on a sustained yield basis" are two primary directives given to the legislature and executive branch by the state's constitution.

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/geninfo/geninfo.php

It is the most regulated fishery in the United States if not the world. Walking through a town like Cordova or Petersburg you see a number of boats in harbor with Seattle as their home port. Those fishermen are spending money locally, many of them live their seasonally.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 30):
As I said I liked Capt. Phil, but he and the Cornelia Marie, and the Northwestern are symptomatic of the problems we face up here by Seattle based fishermen destroy our resources out of the reach of state regulation, and out of the mind of the feds.

You make it sound like any non- Alaska based fisherman that works the waters around Alaska spends no money there and overfishes which is not true. Even in the 3-200 mile Exclusive Economic Zone the National Marine Fisheries Service regulates their catch. Observers are frequently on those boats from the NMFS.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

D L X

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:40 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 29):
They take the resource and the money home with them.

Free market, homey! Man I would love to have this argument with you. But let's save it for another thread, can we?

Revelation

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 32):
You make it sound like any non- Alaska based fisherman that works the waters around Alaska spends no money there

Unfortunately the late Phil Harris left a lot of money in the hands of his Alaskan engine mechanic with not much to show for it. And it seems all the fishermen exchanged plenty of cash for "duck farts" at the bar in Dutch Harbor and spent thousands at the local grocery stores and bought lots of fuel and bait locally as well. Also when they brought their catches into the Alaskan processors I seem to recall seeing them pay an Alaskan tax.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

brilondon

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:30 pm

But unfortunately he was still a Seattle based fisherman stealing Alaska's resources

I liked Phil Harris and so do thousands of Deadlies Catch fans. I think that your comment is absolutly absurd and out of place. The crab fishery is for anybody to harvest.

May the peace of our lord comfort his two sons and his family at this time. My prayers are with you Harris family.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

L-188
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:34 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 32):
Even in the 3-200 mile Exclusive Economic Zone the National Marine Fisheries Service regulates their catch.

Some regulation, it is the NMFS that is allowing the 60K king bycatch.

Blackprojects

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:23 pm

The Northwesterns Website has had a Make Over in honour of Captain Harris.

http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/

Aaron747

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 pm

But unfortunately he was still a Seattle based fisherman stealing Alaska's resources

You know, this thread should really be about someone a lot of people liked who died, not yet another exhibition of your personal vendetta as an Alaskan against the rest of the Union. Once again you demonstrate a complete lack of class without anything approaching reproach or an apology.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

sudden

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:49 pm

He was one of the captians I actually liked
Quoting stratosphere (Reply 2):
I really like that show and Phil was one of my favorites
Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 4):
Harris was one of my favourite character of Deadliest Catch.
You were one of my favorites and will be
Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 26):
A great man who no doubt will be missed!

I can only agree with what many of you already wrote.
I just learned about it as tonight they showed the episode "Deadliest Catch, behind the scenes" and at the end their was a "in memory of..."

Deadliest Catch will not be the same from now on.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!