LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Earthquake In Chicago.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:54 am

While the snowplows were digging my street out of carnage of yesterdays blizzard I felt my house shake for about 5s about 50 minutes ago @ 4am Central Time.

Thought a plane must have crashed or a there was some explosion outside or I was going crazy but my Bro knocked on my door and asked if I felt anything.

Lo and behold we got a 4.3 earthquake.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...s-reported-in-western-suburbs.html

Zentraedi

RE: Earthquake In Chicago.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Called my parents and they slept right through it...living only a few miles west of the epicenter.

tbar220

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Slept right through it. That's what happens when I am super tired
NO URLS in signature

falstaff

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Quoting tbar220 (Reply 2):
Slept right through it
Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 1):
they slept right through it...

I slept through an earthquake about that size in San Francisco a few years ago.

I have not heard of an earthquake in Chicagoland before, but I have felt several in St. Louis over the years.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

ajd1992

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Call back when you have a 5.0, then we'll talk.

Signed, The UK   (We had a 5.0 apparently a few years ago. Although it didn't damage much, the house shook like a mo'fo.)

How common is an earthquake in Chicago? I can't imagine it being that great considering all those tall buildings downtown.

falstaff

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 4):
How common is an earthquake in Chicago? I can't imagine it being that great considering all those tall buildings downtown.

The last earthquake in Cook County was back in 1925 and it was in the 2.0 range. There was an earthquake in Du Page county in 1985 in the 3.0 range. The only one higher than 5 was in Will county in 1909. There were two quakes in northern Illinois in the 4.0 range in 1972 and in 1999.

Source: http://www.isgs.uiuc.edu/research/ea...quake-hazards/chicago-quakes.shtml

So it appears it isn't all the uncommon to have a small quake in northern Illinois every now and then.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

csturdiv

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:37 pm

I live in Gilberts, right near Hampshire and slept right through it, didn't feel a thing.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

GQfluffy

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Ding.

Nothing much to talk about.
This isn't where I parked my car...

n6238p

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Southern Illinois had our "earthquake" two years ago and it was a 5.3. That woke me out of bed. We also had a 4.6 as an aftershock later that day. I barely felt the 4.6. I can't wait to hear the amazing stories of survival from the 2010 Sycamore Shaker.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

flanker

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Thread starter):
Quoting LOT767-300ER (Thread starter):
While the snowplows were digging my street out of carnage of yesterdays blizzard I felt my house shake for about 5s about 50 minutes ago @ 4am Central Time.

Thought a plane must have crashed or a there was some explosion outside or I was going crazy but my Bro knocked on my door and asked if I felt anything.

Lo and behold we got a 4.3 earthquake.

People called me crazy when the last one occured in Odel. Nobody would believe me until the news came out.

My gf told of this one this morning, but i guess i am too far away to feel it.

N328KF

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:27 pm

In geologic terms, it was only yesterday that the area experienced several 8.0 magnitude earthquakes within the span of a few months. People laugh at the idea of earthquakes here, but that's just foolishness.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

Superfly

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 7):
Nothing much to talk about.

Even though it's small, since it happened in northern Illinois, it IS something to talk about.
That is not a seismic part of the continent.
Bring back the Concorde

N328KF

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
Even though it's small, since it happened in northern Illinois, it IS something to talk about.
That is not a seismic part of the continent.

See what I said above. What the area lacks in frequency of geologic activity, it makes up for in intensity.
-Donny Miller

Superfly

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:50 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 12):
See what I said above. What the area lacks in frequency of geologic activity, it makes up for in intensity.

Well aware of the activity near around the New Madrid fault in southern Illinois.
Not northern Illinois.
Please tell us more about the numerous earthquakes in northern Illinois not affiliated with the New Madrid faults.
Bring back the Concorde

N328KF

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
Please tell us more about the numerous earthquakes in northern Illinois not affiliated with the New Madrid faults.

Why? New Madrid is close enough to affect Northern Illinois.
-Donny Miller

Superfly

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:44 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 14):
Why? New Madrid is close enough to affect Northern Illinois.

These little earthquakes are not on the New Madrid fault. Sure a large enough earthquake centered in southern Illinois can affect northern Illinois. I am concerned about these small earthquakes centered in northern Illinois where there are no known major fault lines.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/gluck/q/2007/apr07/EarthquakeZoneMapColor.gif
Bring back the Concorde

N328KF

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:24 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
These little earthquakes are not on the New Madrid fault. Sure a large enough earthquake centered in southern Illinois can affect northern Illinois. I am concerned about these small earthquakes centered in northern Illinois where there are no known major fault lines.

That's nice. Those of us who actually live here are more concerned with New Madrid.
-Donny Miller

atrude777

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:55 am

Quoting N6238P (Reply 8):
Southern Illinois had our "earthquake" two years ago and it was a 5.3. That woke me out of bed. We also had a 4.6 as an aftershock later that day. I barely felt the 4.6. I can't wait to hear the amazing stories of survival from the 2010 Sycamore Shaker.

Ya Guess where I was on that day...CHICAGO!

The ONE day I leave Southern Illinois, you guys had to have an earthquake haha.

Quoting N328KF (Reply 16):

That's nice. Those of us who actually live here are more concerned with New Madrid.

I live down in Southern Illinois, along with N6238P, and how/why are you guys concerned with New Madrid? Ya, as Superfly said, our quake can affect it, but you don't have the activity that we do down here.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Superfly

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 16):

Understood. I used to live there too and was concerned about New Madrid.
I remember being scared to go up to the top of Sears Tower in 1983 at age 10 because there had recently been a small quake in southern Illinois on the New Madrid fault.
My question still stands, please tell us more about the numerous earthquakes in northern Illinois not affiliated with the New Madrid faults.
Bring back the Concorde

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:16 am

Damn guys I created a thread so us Illinoisans could bond and look what happened. Were arguing who has more street cred with earthquakes. South "Anything below of I-80 is a wasteland" Illinois and Northern "Lets trash Wisconsin on the weekend for the fun of it" Illinois.

Typical. Illinois politics at play even here. Wonderful.   

Superfly

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 19):
I created a thread so us Illinoisans could bond and look what happened.

I commend your intentions LOT767-300ER however.....

Were arguing who has more street cred with earthquakes.

Can't top me since I've been in several major earthquakes here in California.  
Bring back the Concorde

N328KF

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:44 am

Damn guys I created a thread so us Illinoisans could bond and look what happened. Were arguing who has more street cred with earthquakes. South "Anything below of I-80 is a wasteland" Illinois and Northern "Lets trash Wisconsin on the weekend for the fun of it" Illinois.

I'm not trashing anyone. You completely misunderstood my point. I am just suggesting that, in the long term, the big 8.0-level earthquakes of the 1811-1812 calibre would be very worrisome to anyone in Chicago, and for that matter, much of the midwest.
-Donny Miller

ajd1992

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 10):
. People laugh at the idea of earthquakes here, but that's just foolishness.

In Illinois I can see why people might not take them as seriously as somebody who's from San Francisco or Oakland. It's not really anything to get paranoid about unless you live on a major vault line like the San Andreas vault. The UK gets them every now and then, but nobody gets paranoid and worries about them. I think our strongest one ever was a 5.3 but that's about as common as rocking horse crap here. I don't know what's more common in the UK, earthquakes or a warm day  

N328KF

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 22):
The UK gets them every now and then, but nobody gets paranoid and worries about them. I think our strongest one ever was a 5.3 but that's about as common as rocking horse crap here. I don't know what's more common in the UK, earthquakes or a warm day

I'm sure you know of the Great Glen Fault. Did you know that this was formerly the same fault as the Aspy Fault in Canada?
-Donny Miller

n6238p

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm from Chicago, just go to school down in Carbondale and I could only imagine the amount of confusion an earthquake up north would cause. But honestly a 3.8 its now being called is nothing. When we had our earthquake in 08 it was big and it was nothing. It's still kinda cool though to experience. I think everyone should experience a small tremor once in their life just to know what its like. Really I think what we should still fear is the Mega-Disasters type earthquake that could destroy Memphis and St. Louis. I'm sure Chicago will survive but holy crap are we under prepared for a big one down here. I don't know of any buildings that are retrofitted for earthquakes in the Heartland.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

Silver1SWA

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Quoting N6238P (Reply 24):
It's still kinda cool though to experience.

Under no circumstance will I EVER consider an earthquake "cool" to experience. I woke up to a 4.2 last week and my nerves were rattled for a couple of days. I've experienced two major quakes in my life. Not fun at all, and I don't take small quakes any more lightly.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Superfly

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Quoting N6238P (Reply 24):
I don't know of any buildings that are retrofitted for earthquakes in the Heartland.

How about the Saint Louis Arch?
Bring back the Concorde

stasisLAX

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 25):
Under no circumstance will I EVER consider an earthquake "cool" to experience.

Completely agree!

Having experienced a 5.4 earthquake here in Southern California last year, there is NOTHING cool about it. Especially the faces of my neighbors when they're in total panic mode while we're standing in the front yard of my apartment building.....
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin