flanker
Topic Author

Romney Attacked On Plane.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:31 am

That passenger is a real idiot.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...omney-threatened-flight-vancouver/

"Romney, a 2008 presidential candidate, asked a passenger who was seated and reclining in front of his wife, Ann, to move his seat upright during take off."

NIKV69

RE: Romney Attacked On Plane.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:19 am

Doesn't Mitt watch Curb your enthusiam? He should have just told the FA about his seat like Larry did to Schwimmer.

As for the guy who assaulted Mitt, yea pretty much an idiot.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

flanker
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
Doesn't Mitt watch Curb your enthusiam? He should have just told the FA about his seat like Larry did to Schwimmer.

What are you talking about? Why wouldn't you say something to the guy? I would have.

thegreatRDU

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:31 pm

I take it no sky marshal on board...
Our Returning Champion

fxramper

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Appears to be AC #552. I guess that was a E190? I doubt there was a Air Marshal onboard.   

NIKV69

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 2):
What are you talking about? Why wouldn't you say something to the guy? I would have.

Usually it will just turn into some person getting pissed like it did here. The flight crew is there to handle that not you. The inside of a plane is not the place to get into something like this with a fellow passenger.

Mudboy

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:03 pm

What Morons we have to share space with on planes. Glad the guy got arrested, you have to really wonder what someone thinks, when they react like this? Instead of complying with the rules, they have to react as if their manhood has been taken away, and now the idiot gets arrested, misses his flight and probably will have to fly on another carrier?

Superfly

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
He should have just told the FA about his seat like Larry did to Schwimmer.

Just goes to show that Mitt Romney is a petty, micro-managing little _ _ _ _.
Yes the guy in front of him acted improperly and was in violation of FAA rules, however it's not Romney's job to enforce the rules.
Bring back the Concorde

flanker
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 5):
The inside of a plane is not the place to get into something like this with a fellow passenger.

Get into what? He asked the man to retract the seat in front of his wife. How is that getting into anything?

kc135topboom

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:43 pm

Quoting flanker (Thread starter):
"Romney, a 2008 presidential candidate, asked a passenger who was seated and reclining in front of his wife, Ann, to move his seat upright during take off."
Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):

You do know that Ann Romney has MS, don't you? Had it been yo and your wife/gf in the same situation, wouldn't you politly ask him to readjust his seat, too?

JBirdAV8r

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:48 pm

Come on, Larry, isn't that a little out there?

I know if someone asked a flight attendant to ask me to move my own seat, I'd be a little miffed. Likely Mitt didn't find it important enough to involve "the law" and figured he'd resolve it himself. That the defendant made the conscious decision to grossly overreact and start a physical altercation was his own fault.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Superfly

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 9):
You do know that Ann Romney has MS, don't you?

Not aware of that.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 10):
I know if someone asked a flight attendant to ask me to move my own seat, I'd be a little miffed. Likely Mitt didn't find it important enough to involve "the law" and figured he'd resolve it himself. That the defendant made the conscious decision to grossly overreact and start a physical altercation was his own fault.

Maybe this assailant was an ex-con that was released from prison early by fmr. governor Mike Huckabee.  
Bring back the Concorde

kc135topboom

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:09 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
Maybe this assailant was an ex-con that was released from prison early by fmr. governor Mike Huckabee.

Or former Gov. Mike Dukakas? Maybe it was Willie Horton?

iairallie

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 5):
Usually it will just turn into some person getting pissed like it did here. The flight crew is there to handle that not you. The inside of a plane is not the place to get into something like this with a fellow passenger.
Yes the guy in front of him acted improperly and was in violation of FAA rules, however it's not Romney's job to enforce the rule

Whoa it has nothing to do with micromanaging. The reason the seats are supposed to be upright is to the person BEHIND it can get out in a hurry if there is an emergency. I don't see any problem with him politely advocating for his and his wife's safety. There are times it is not prudent to ask an FA like when you are close to the runway.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

NIKV69

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:16 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 8):
Get into what? He asked the man to retract the seat in front of his wife. How is that getting into anything?

Yea and he became irate and started acting like an nut and got physical. Have you been paying attention? Do you know how everyone will act? A friend of mine did something similiar when a woman in front of him wouldn't get off her cell and her husband threatened him and he didn't back down. Where did it get him? He had to get off the plane. For what? Just get the FA and let them do their job.

MoltenRock

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:28 pm

LOL! Who gives a rip? So what if he had his seat reclined. If it ain't a big deal to the FA it isn't one to me either. Romney should have kept his trap zipped unless the man was doing something dangerous.

I would have been laughing had I seen it all go down, with amusement. That would actually be worth being delayed 30 minutes. LOL!

JBirdAV8r

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):

Okay, you got me, I don't have a good response to that one  

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Yes the guy in front of him acted improperly and was in violation of FAA rules, however it's not Romney's job to enforce the rules.

And then we all know the reaction would have been "Romney is a little tattle-tale". Start with the lowest level possible. Romney was right in first asking the guy in front of him to move his seat forward. If the person had denied, THEN you get the F/A involved. The fact that this got physical was ENTIRELY the fault of the guy who attacked Romney (assuming Romney did not insult or was an in anyway impolite when he asked the guy in front of his wife to move the seat upright).

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 15):
Who gives a rip? So what if he had his seat reclined.

I do. I'm 6'4 and already have enough difficulty climbing in and out of seats when the seat in front of me is in the up position. Trying to get out with the seat reclined in an emergency would be even more difficult. But I'm sure your reaction has nothing to do with the fact that Romney is a Republican, right?
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

AirframeAS

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:06 pm

So what if he had his seat reclined.

oohhhhhh, Really? So what if you were in the seat behind it and an emergency happened and you couldnt get out?    Regulations are there for a reason, MoltenRock.... you should know this already. This is, after all, an aviation website....

But with your logic in reply 15, I have no sympathy for you.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

MoltenRock

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 17):
I do. I'm 6'4 and already have enough difficulty climbing in and out of seats when the seat in front of me is in the up position. Trying to get out with the seat reclined in an emergency would be even more difficult. But I'm sure your reaction has nothing to do with the fact that Romney is a Republican, right?

I don't care who the guy is. I find it amusing. I'm 6'1" so I'm well aware of being taller than average. People so obsessed with what everyone else is doing and rules I've found to be the most annoying twits I've encountered that think life is still 4th grade and whine about someone else not following some absurd rule. Waaah.

AC 190s have 39" of legroom up front. If he didn't like it, he and his wife are worth about $300 million so hire a private jet.

MoltenRock

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 18):
Really? So what if you were in the seat behind it and an emergency happened and you couldnt get out?    Regulations are there for a reason,

Someone reclined or not doesn't impede me getting out. If the "regulation" is so crucial the flight attendant didn't seem to notice or care much for something so critical then maybe that's the same amount of attention one should pay to it. What a person does or doesn't do with his/her seat in front of me is none of my concern as it's their space and I don't care. Simple as that. But hey, just hang out in the suburbs sometime and the place is plagued with rule makers and people therein whining about "rules".

Last time I consulted the official FAA rule book a former governor of an American state is not the person responsible for enforcing rules or regulations on a Canadian aircraft. Who knows maybe the other guy was a Tea Party guy that didn't like a fat cat, non--Christian what to do. It will be interesting to hear the other side of this amusing event.

AirframeAS

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:47 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 20):
I don't care.

You don't care.... okay...Sums it up, pretty much.

When an emergency happens, don't look at me for help if you get stuck.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

JBirdAV8r

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Well, maybe politics didn't play a part in it at all.

The bottom line is that asking someone to comply with the law, however annoying, is not illegal.

Assault, however, is a different story.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Someone reclined or not doesn't impede me getting out. If the "regulation" is so crucial the flight attendant didn't seem to notice or care much for something so critical then maybe that's the same amount of attention one should pay to it.

If the plane is sitting at the hold-short line, the F/A will be seated in the jump-seat and will not be able to visually see every seat in the cabin to see if it's reclined or not. All someone has to do to "break the rules" is wait till the F/A is seated and then they can do what they want. But that thought process got by you, didn't it?

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 19):
People so obsessed with what everyone else is doing and rules I've found to be the most annoying twits I've encountered that think life is still 4th grade and whine about someone else not following some absurd rule. Waaah.

Regulations designed to make getting out of the plane easier and more quickly in an evacauation are absurd. Good to know.

AC 190s have 39" of legroom up front.

Delta's 737-800s have 38" up front and yet I still found it difficult to wiggle my way out from the window seat to the aisle when the person in front of me had their seat reclined.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 21):
When an emergency happens, don't look at me for help if you get stuck.

tbar220

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:55 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 23):
Delta's 737-800s have 38" up front

Whoa, those 737-800's are quite gifted. I wonder if Ron Jeremy has found them yet and employed them in his service  
NO URLS in signature

dl021

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 9):
Quoting flanker (Thread starter):

You do know that Ann Romney has MS, don't you? Had it been yo and your wife/gf in the same situation, wouldn't you politly ask him to readjust his seat, too?

I guess that I'd ask even if my wife didn't have MS. I want the path to the nearest exit as clear as possible during an emergency when on the ground. It's the only time you can get off the airplane, and no one is more responsible for my safety than I am.

Last time I consulted the official FAA rule book a former governor of an American state is not the person responsible for enforcing rules or regulations on a Canadian aircraft.

Refers back to earlier statement. No one is more responsible for your own safety than you are, and to expect "authority figures" to take care of you in lieu of you taking the initiative is perhaps less than responsible. Passengers should reasonably expect other passengers to follow the rules, and if they aren't there's no harm in asking them to do so.

Assaulting the man is so far out of whack it isn't even funny.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

RJLover

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:54 pm

AC 190s have 39" of legroom up front. If he didn't like it, he and his wife are worth about $300 million so hire a private jet.

Thats neat...... To bad he was sitting in Y. 33'' of leg room, not 39''
Last Flight(s): YHZ-YYZ // YYZ-YHZ Next Flight(s):

stasisLAX

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:52 am

"Romney was not flying first class. He was in row 15 of a Canadian Air Embraer ERJ-190. That's the economy section.
As for legroom: According to SeatGuru, the row provides 33 inches..."

Source: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...ked-by-irate-passenger-on-airplane
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

MoltenRock

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:56 am

Quoting RJLover (Reply 26):
Thats neat...... To bad he was sitting in Y. 33'' of leg room, not 39''

That should teach him to fly coach. I guess $300 million just doesn't go far these days, poor guy.  

I'm sorry that I don't screw up some faux rage based on a press release that a paid employee of Mr. Romney's, who wasn't on the plane, retold for American news machines to crank out 3rd and 4th hand without hearing the other side of this story from Vancouver police/authorities or the other party involved.

If the worst thing of my day causing me emotional trauma is a guy in the recline mode, I need to get a life.

As the flight attendant recites every flight about "upright and locked position" regarding the seating a reclined economy seat is quite easy just to push up out of your way anyway in an emergency. But some people just love to worry about rules others are following or not following, as if it's Ms. Jones 4th grade elementary class all over again.

Mudboy

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:08 am

LOL! Who gives a rip? So what if he had his seat reclined. If it ain't a big deal to the FA it isn't one to me either. Romney should have kept his trap zipped unless the man was doing something dangerous.

I would have been laughing had I seen it all go down, with amusement. That would actually be worth being delayed 30 minutes. LOL!
Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 28):
As the flight attendant recites every flight about "upright and locked position" regarding the seating a reclined economy seat is quite easy just to push up out of your way anyway in an emergency. But some people just love to worry about rules others are following or not following, as if it's Ms. Jones 4th grade elementary class all over again.

You know dude, for someone that is always throwing a hissy fit about people's rights being taken away, and that it is scary that people don't care, well what about their rights, when it comes to having a safe pathway to get out, in case of an emergency? I think that most people here realize, that if this were not a Republican, you would be singing a different song, instead of blowing this off as if it is no big deal.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:11 am

If the worst thing of my day causing me emotional trauma is a guy in the recline mode, I need to get a life.

Really? How come it's not "if the worst thing of my day causing me emotional trauma is some guy asking me to move my seat to the upright position, I need to get a life"? Is someone asking you to move your seat to the upright position (a legal requirement) really worth causing you to attack someone over? Sounds like this clown has anger management issues...

That should teach him to fly coach. I guess $300 million just doesn't go far these days, poor guy.

Perhaps F was sold out or maybe Romney is just thrifty with his money. Just because you have money doesn't mean you need to spend it.

Superfly

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:40 am

The fact that this got physical was ENTIRELY the fault of the guy who attacked Romney

No argument there.
Yes this assailant was an idiot.

Regardless, Mitt needs a good whack every once & a while.  
Bring back the Concorde

mandala499

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:03 am

Romney was right in first asking the guy in front of him to move his seat forward. If the person had denied, THEN you get the F/A involved.

That would be the correct thing to do, if the FAs are still walking around, once they're in their seats... different story.

Trying to get out with the seat reclined in an emergency would be even more difficult.

If empty, just shove the seat forward and it will bend forward (those fitted with breakover feature) or go to it's forward stop (those with breakover feature locked). If the reclined seat has a 200lbs person unconscious and fully occupying the whole reclined seat... Yes... it'll be difficult.

Having the seat on your row upright with an unconscious there and the seat in front is upright, is no hard feat, but do the same with the front seat reclined and occupied with an unconscious person, is a different matter.

Someone reclined or not doesn't impede me getting out.

I'd love to see you come out of an evac drill and hear you say that (after some strings are pulled for "added surprise and realism" of course   )... but please sign the statutory declaration that you shall indemnify me from any claims for damages arising from injury or any effects as a result of the exercise with no exception, including your death. (I ask that because now U're writing it with bravado saying it won't affect you... but injured egos tend to do funny things, and many times, it involves laywers).

In a badly botched aborted take off, it won't impede you getting out... coz you probably won't... you'd be knocked unconscious because your head banged into seat in front or you broke your neck due to an improper brace position when there was a frontal impact. No worries... the 2 persons sitting next to you would be greatly be assisted by your knocked out body as something to step on to get over the reclined seat in the way...   
And by the time the RTO happens, it's too late to ask your buddy the rule breaker sitting in front of you to "kindly please put his seat upright" (and if he has the time to stand up and beat you up before the impact happens, he'd be right and you're wrong, for "causing additional stress in a precarious situation  &nbsp .

Ever had a landing where the crew shoved on the max manual brakes? This is a situation where one expects deceleration, but still, injuries happen... you'd be amazed how fast a head can swing from the upright position to the seat in front. (Oh hang on, U're a superhuman with superfast reflexes! *yawn*).

Last time I consulted the official FAA rule book a former governor of an American state is not the person responsible for enforcing rules or regulations on a Canadian aircraft. Who knows maybe the other guy was a Tea Party guy that didn't like a fat cat, non--Christian what to do. It will be interesting to hear the other side of this amusing event.

Last time I consulted the official FAA rule book, an a.net person is not obliged to report any security violation at airport checkpoints... So, when I see someone carrying a machine-gun boarding your plane with no security, I'd just ignore it and say, "naaaah, it's not my responsibility to do anything whatsoever." If you sit next to an IED which I happen to notice, I'd just say, "naah, not my problem" and just slip away...  

Or perhaps U're one of those people who, when you see one recline his/her seat before take off, you recline yours too because "if the FA misses it, who cares, I'm gonna recline!"
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

iairallie

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:25 am

People so obsessed with what everyone else is doing and rules I've found to be the most annoying twits I've encountered that think life is still 4th grade and whine about someone else not following some absurd rule. Waaah.

I couldn't care less about people breaking rules that don't impact my own personal well being (unless I'm on duty then it's my job) but for something like this which does impact my safety I advocate for my well being.

If the "regulation" is so crucial the flight attendant didn't seem to notice or care much for something so critical then maybe that's the same amount of attention one should pay to it.

See below

If the plane is sitting at the hold-short line, the F/A will be seated in the jump-seat and will not be able to visually see every seat in the cabin to see if it's reclined or not. All someone has to do to "break the rules" is wait till the F/A is seated and then they can do what they want. But that thought process got by you, didn't it?

Ding ding ding! We don't can't be everywhere at once and loads of people wait until we sit down where we can't see them then they flaunt all the rules.

non--Christian what to do.

Um what the heck is this supposed to mean? Is this supposed to be a jab at Gov. Romney's religion? Because if it is it is a really ignorant one.

Regulations designed to make getting out of the plane easier and more quickly in an evacauation are absurd. Good to know.

I've been told to that when they do the stress certification (whatever the official name is) they test if for upright locked position. In one training program they told me that in the unlocked position they are more likely to break and injure the person behind you. I haven't ever verified that though with a seat designer.

Maybe the guy is fiscally responsible or doesn't want to waste resources. Democrats don't have a monopoly on environmental concern you know.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 30):

Perhaps F was sold out or maybe Romney is just thrifty with his money. Just because you have money doesn't mean you need to spend it.

My grandmother is very very wealthy and she usually flies SWA domestic. She prefers to spend her money on more important things. As she told her financial planner "my goal is for you to make me more money so I have more to give away".

As the flight attendant recites every flight about "upright and locked position" regarding the seating a reclined economy seat is quite easy just to push up out of your way anyway in an emergency

For an able bodied fit young man with an empty seat sure. For a middle aged woman with MS not so much. Oh and equipment that has just been in an accident gets warped and doesn't always function the way it was intended to so while it may be easy to move under ideal circumstances after a crash maybe not.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!