Aaron747
Topic Author

Hawaii Is The Happiest US State

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:09 pm

As my next residence destination, I'm happy to report the latest results from the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index for 2009. Hawaii led the pack with a score of 70.2 points out of 100.  Proof positive that despite high supermarket prices, rents, gas, and the like, it's still best for a person to be where the environment makes them feel great. The study cites a two point increase for HI over 2008, so one has to wonder if the reduction in tourist numbers is helping the locals to enjoy having the place to themselves a bit more than usual.

Topping the well-being list among all 50 states, Hawaii pulled ahead of the 2008 leader Utah. But Utah and its neighbors still have plenty to smile about. Nine of the top 10 well-being states reside in the Midwest and the West. The south didn't fare so well, taking seven of the 11 lowest well-being spots on the list.

The results come from interviews with more than 350,000 American adults who took part in the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index in 2009...

Hawaii also topped the charts for life evaluation, emotional health and physical health, while West Virginia scored the worst on those indexes. Utah was number-one for work environment, scoring 10 points more than the worst state, Delaware.

No surprises there. I'm actually somewhat shocked my native California registered 19th - I'd expect it to be somewhere in the 30s by now. Guess the plethora of great weekend roadtrips still counts for something!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...eststateshawaiimovesintofirstplace
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Superfly

RE: Hawaii Is The Happiest US State

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:14 pm

No surprise here.
How can one not enjoy Hawaii?
My favorite place is Hilo. Ideally just north of Hilo along the Hamakua coastline.
Bring back the Concorde

ronglimeng

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:35 pm

I'm currently reading Paul Theroux's novel "Hotel Honolulu" and how he describes the Hawaiian Islands and their people pretty well tallies with the results of the poll the O.P. quotes.

Theroux is not the kind of writer to describe things positively unless he really means it, so I've been getting a very good impression of the Islands from reading the book.

MoltenRock

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Thread starter):
Hawaii also topped the charts for life evaluation, emotional health and physical health, while West Virginia scored the worst on those indexes.

And I'm sure their top notch near universal health care system had nothing to do with that great ranking.   LOL

Amazing what access to healthcare can do for a populace.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 3):
And I'm sure their top notch near universal health care system had nothing to do with that great ranking.

Much easier to do with a small state population and comparatively large sources of tax revenues. As a current user of such a system though, I'll be glad to be migrating to another.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

tbar220

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 pm

I'm convinced that natural beauty helps those states get to the top of the lists; it just makes people happier! Based on that theory, I'm really surprised to see North Dakota on that list. I didn't know that there's much going on up there  
NO URLS in signature

MadameConcorde

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:06 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):

Hilo is still like old Hawaii used to be - still Hawaiian. Probably remaining the most authentic place in all the islands. Not the "one big hotel one after the other" kind of place and very laid back. A lot of old hippies reside on the Hilo side of the Big Island. Nature is very lush and green due to all the rain fall all through the year. The inconvenience to this is the mosquitos.

What I like about Hilo is that it remains traditional. Hilo hosts the Merrie Monarch festival every year.

http://www.merriemonarchfestival.org...about_merrie_monarch_festival.html

the major purpose of the festival is the perpetuation, preservation, and promotion of the art of hula and the Hawaiian culture through education.

The only downside is that many of those with Hawaiian blood remain very poor while those from the outside own all the property and often the profits made from the hotels go to other places than the Hawaiian Islands. Only a handful of the large hotels are owned by Hawaiians.

Take Oahu for example, go to towns like Waianae or Nanakuli where most only Hawaiians reside.far away from the tourust strip at Waikiki Beach. Some will say that part of the island is unsafe but I find it a lot more interesting and authentic than all the tourist resorts and hotels aligned one after the other on each side of Kalakaua Avenue or the Ala Moana Shopping Center which is a shopping mall just the same as every other shopping mall you can find anywhere else in the US mainland.

You have huge contrasts between areas for the super-rich such as Aina Haina or Portlock and Waimanalo not verry far away from there on the other side of Hanauma Bay which is a rather poor (and some will say unsafe) area where the Hawaiians live.

On every one of my visits to the islands I try to avoid the touristy areas and stick to the places that still have some true Hawaiian spirit.

There is a lot of talk about Pearl Harbour of course, due to the WWII attack but don't miss out on the Bishop Museum to learn about Hawaiian culture and arts.

I am not sure how this question was targeted but I doubt the poor native Hawaiians would find that Hawaii is the happiest state when you think of all the Hawaiians who had to go far away from their native islands to work and make a decent living like so many other islanders around the world while they would certainly have preferred to remain at home.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 6):
Ala Moana Shopping Center which is a shopping mall just the same as every other shopping mall

Almost the same, except the clientele is nearly 75% foreigners with cash and cards to burn, which results in a relatively unremarkable mall turning the best profits of any in North America.

MadameConcorde

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 7):
Almost the same, except the clientele is nearly 75% foreigners with cash and cards to burn, which results in a relatively unremarkable mall turning the best profits of any in North America.

Mostly all Japanese go to Ala Moana to shop at the designer's stores to buy gifts for themselves and their families. They find the same brands they find in Paris, Chanel, Vuitton, Hermès and more. The good side to this is they provide local employment although I have heard that the number of foreign shoppers at Ala Moana has largely decreased due to the economic slump with stores that have closed down.

There are lots of discounts to be found at the major chain hotels even on Waikiki Beach. I hear the same is happening in places like Kihei, Kahului and Lahaina (Maui) too many hotel rooms for too few visitors. Hawaii needs more tourists at this point in time.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Doesn't surprise me that Hawaii tops the list but some of the other states and their position too. I'm surprised Alaska is ranked as high as it is, because the state has one of the highest suicide rates in the country (currently number 3). Montana is up there. Seems contradictory to me.

I also want to know how Michigan is higher than Ohio. You'd think those Michiganders would be depressed over getting their ass kicked by the Buckeyes year after year as of late.   

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
My favorite place is Hilo. Ideally just north of Hilo along the Hamakua coastline.

I love the east and north shore of Oahu. Bellows Air Force Station is on the east side and offers a nice private beach free of all the tourist that flock to Waikiki, and Kaneohe Marine Air Corps Station on the north side has the best golf course in the Department of Defense, with several of the holes on the back side running right along the coast line. Amazing.   (Although my favorite golf course is the Hickam AFB golf course because it sits in between all the runways at HNL, with a couple holes running right along the lagoon and the reef runway. Nothing like teeing off and having a JAL 747 or Delta 767 or a USAF F-15 rocketing down the reef runway for takeoff.)
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:43 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 9):
Bellows Air Force Station

That place is just freaking gorgeous.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 8):
Mostly all Japanese go to Ala Moana to shop at the designer's stores to buy gifts for themselves and their families. They find the same brands they find in Paris, Chanel, Vuitton, Hermès and more.

Only rich Japanese still go shopping in Paris. Japanese prefer buying brand goods in the States, Australia and Canada because the prices tend to be 1/2 to 2/3 of what they are in this country. All of the major luxury retailers do a 30-35% minimum markup on their sales within Japan - only the most spoiled or idiotic actually buy those things here.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 8):
The good side to this is they provide local employment although I have heard that the number of foreign shoppers at Ala Moana has largely decreased due to the economic slump with stores that have closed down.

Waikiki businesses have seen a 15-25% hit in general, depending on niche, the last year and a half. It'll be back.

Superfly

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:50 pm

You have huge contrasts between areas for the super-rich such as Aina Haina or Portlock and Waimanalo not verry far away from there on the other side of Hanauma Bay which is a rather poor (and some will say unsafe) area where the Hawaiians live.

I agree. I've been to those so-called "unsafe" areas and find the people to be very nice & friendly. A lot more genuine than the fake smiles at the resorts.
Another great place in Hawaii is Moloka'i.
I stayed there for almost a week on my 2.5 week trip to Hawaii.
Technically Moloka'i is the most 'Hawaiian' island. There is not a single traffic light on that island and has the longest white sand beach in the state. There are only 3 or 4 hotels on the entire island and there are very few visitors.
The place we stayed at was made to accomodate 215 guest but we were only 1 of 15 guest at the entire hotel resort. It truely felt like a rural paradise.
The Big Island of Hawaii is my favorite.

I love the east and north shore of Oahu.

Hilo is on the Big Island.
I agree though that the east side of the islands are nicer.

I also want to know how Michigan is higher than Ohio.

Michigan is way cooler than Ohio.
Michigan is surrounded by lakes and is a boaters paradise. Also Michigan has lots of wilderness and a popular place for hunting. Just ask Ted Nuggent.  
Bring back the Concorde

Mir

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Quoting tbar220 (Reply 5):
I'm really surprised to see North Dakota on that list. I didn't know that there's much going on up there

There isn't. But the place is so isolated that a lot of people just don't realize that there is something better out there.  

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MadameConcorde

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Are the Navy and Air Force bases and other of their facilities providing much employent for the locals - other than those who have joined the military?

There is Tripler hospital for example but much much more considering the extent of the Navy and AF bases on Oahu mainly.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
Hilo is on the Big Island.

I know.   (but yes I can see where my wording was confusing. My mistake). The first time I went to Hawaii in 2005, we island-hopped over to the Big Island (on an Aloha 737-200    ). Spent the two days at Volcanoes National Park and then drove around the island the third day, stopping to have lunch in Kona, and then heading back to Hilo to catch our flight back to Oahu.

Michigan is way cooler than Ohio.
Michigan is surrounded by lakes and is a boaters paradise. Also Michigan has lots of wilderness and a popular place for hunting. Just ask Ted Nuggent.

That doesn't explain why UofM keeps getting their ass kicked by OSU.    Additionally, Ohio has Cedar Point, which should (IMO) make it the happiest state since Cedar Point is awesome.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 13):
Are the Navy and Air Force bases and other of their facilities providing much employent for the locals - other than those who have joined the military?

I'm not sure what you're asking. I'm sure there are locals who work contracting jobs on the military installations. I also have to believe that the influx of business from having military personnel in the area creates and sustains local jobs in the region, although for a region as heavily populated as Oahu, I'm not sure how much of a dent the increase in the economy from the local military presence is - certainly less than say the portion of the economy driven by Robins AFB in Warner Robins, Georgia.

BMI727

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 12):
There isn't. But the place is so isolated that a lot of people just don't realize that there is something better out there.

Redeeming qualities of North Dakota:

1. Lowest unemployment in the country.
2. You can see the Northern Lights, if you like that sort of thing.
3. Early summer is really nice, before the mosquitos arrive. After that, you have to stay indoors from dusk until dawn and eagerly await the first blizzard.
4. They have good hockey teams.
5. The roads are straight and empty, so you can drive as fast as you want.

Also, I'm not surprised to see West Virginia at the bottom of the happiness list. That is a horrible place and the locals might have a full set of teeth between them. I used to think that the "Appalachain Emergency Room" bit in Saturday Night Live was an exaggeration, until I went to West Virginia.

Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Mir

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:27 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 15):
1. Lowest unemployment in the country.
2. You can see the Northern Lights, if you like that sort of thing.

I'll accept these.

3. Early summer is really nice, before the mosquitos arrive. After that, you have to stay indoors from dusk until dawn and eagerly await the first blizzard.

I think the period you refer to as "early summer" lasts about three days in June.

4. They have good hockey teams.

Well, if you can consider college teams good. I will say that I could drive to any one of six NHL teams in less time than it would take me to drive to see the Wild from North Dakota.

5. The roads are straight and empty, so you can drive as fast as you want.

What's the point? Curves are what make it fun.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MoltenRock

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):
I'll accept these.

There are plenty of people that think Florida is a big toilet. It takes all types to live in the ever varying climates of a location. And in fact many people aren't all that concerned if a place is hot/warm/cold as there's something to appreciate in every place you go.

Being happy for most I would say centers around their friends, family, a place of belonging, educational, economic, spiritual, and secular opportunities, to name a few. What you "accept" as legit isn't all that important to a North Dakota person. ND to me doesn't seem all that different than many other places in the US. Very nice people, extreme weather, lots of things to like (and dislike if you prefer to see things that way) about a place.

BMI727

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 17):

There are plenty of people that think Florida is a big toilet.

I'm one of them. It has redeeming qualities too, but in general I am not attracted to it. The climate sucks, with high temps and high humidity during the summer that makes you want to just do nothing at all. Add in tons of elderly and tourists and Florida seems like it isn't a tropical paradise at all.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:28 am

You bet - there are thousands of contracting clerical, administrative, facilities maintenance and IT positions generated by the military bases. The Honolulu area is also known for having a small cottage industry of defense and intelligence analysts employed by several defense companies that support the Pacific Command. Those positions generally pay pretty well though they often bring new employment to the islands rather than hiring from within.

N801NW

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 am

Bellows Air Force Station is on the east side and offers a nice private beach

+1. It was easily my favorite beach on Oahu. It pays to have an buddy in the military.

MSPNWA

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 am

It's difficult not to be happy in Hawai'i. I love the place, and it seems like almost everyone you meet feels the same way. Most of the people are genuinely friendly. I think right away of the first time I set foot in Oahu. I was on The Bus towards Waikiki, and it wasn't long before I had a couple people strike up a conversation with me. Of course they somehow had ties to Minnesota or talked about the Minnesota Vikings, but the point was that they were really friendly to even a tourist.

And as someone who lives in the upper Midwest, I'm not surprised with the high rankings from this area. Although the landscape isn't always pretty (some parts truly are though), it must be the people. It's not called "Minnesota nice" for nothing!

Superfly

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:46 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 14):
The first time I went to Hawaii in 2005, we island-hopped over to the Big Island (on an Aloha 737-200 ). Spent the two days at Volcanoes National Park and then drove around the island the third day, stopping to have lunch in Kona, and then heading back to Hilo to catch our flight back to Oahu.

That's cool.
I am tempted to write up a trip report for my Hawaii trip.
It consisted of a United 747-200, Aloha 737-200 and Island Air Dash 8-100.

free of all the tourist that flock to Waikiki,
the tourust strip at Waikiki Beach

I am no fan of being around hordes of your typical obnoxious tourist but there is one good thing to be said about Waikiki Beach. The $9 all you can eat buffets and 95 cent Mai Tais.  
After spending waaaaaay too much money visiting the scenic beauty of the Big Island and Moloka'i, the bargains on Waikiki was a sure relief to the wallet.
Bring back the Concorde

je89_w
Screener

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:49 am

Each place has its pros and cons, and I can say that the weather, beauty, food, people (for the most part), culture, and entertainment are some nice things about living in Hawaii. I can see why Hawaii was ranked #1.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
there is one good thing to be said about Waikiki Beach. The $9 all you can eat buffets and 95 cent Mai Tais.
After spending waaaaaay too much money visiting the scenic beauty of the Big Island and Moloka'i, the bargains on Waikiki was a sure relief to the wallet.

I can tell you that the days of the $9 buffets are over. Everything has gone up in price; in fact Waikiki can be considered one of the most expensive areas in Hawaii! As you mentioned flying a UA B747-200, was that the last time you visited Hawaii? Many things have changed since then!

I've been to those so-called "unsafe" areas and find the people to be very nice & friendly

Those "so-called" unsafe areas are also full of drug-addicts/dealers, criminals, etc. especially at night, and that problem doesn't seem to be getting any better.

kappel

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:31 am

Technically Moloka'i is the most 'Hawaiian' island. There is not a single traffic light on that island and has the longest white sand beach in the state. There are only 3 or 4 hotels on the entire island and there are very few visitors.
The place we stayed at was made to accomodate 215 guest but we were only 1 of 15 guest at the entire hotel resort. It truely felt like a rural paradise.
The Big Island of Hawaii is my favorite.

Oh man... you guys make me really wanna go on vacation... to Hawaii. It's been high on my "to do" list for a while now... gotta do it sometime, especially do some island hopping.
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

ha763

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:29 am

As a life-long Hawaii resident, I can see how we would be #1 based on the criteria in the survey. I love living here and plan to live here my entire life.

Quoting Aaron747 (Thread starter):
The study cites a two point increase for HI over 2008, so one has to wonder if the reduction in tourist numbers is helping the locals to enjoy having the place to themselves a bit more than usual.

We just had an article in this past Saturday's Honolulu Advertiser that reported on a survey showing an increase in the number of residents that see more positives than negatives with tourism in Hawaii.

Hawaii residents now see tourism more favorably, poll finds

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 3):
And I'm sure their top notch near universal health care system had nothing to do with that great ranking.
Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 4):
Much easier to do with a small state population and comparatively large sources of tax revenues. As a current user of such a system though, I'll be glad to be migrating to another.

You do realize that Hawaii's near universal health care system is employer, not government sponsored? Employers with a certain amount of employees must offer any employee working 24 hours a week or more an employer sponsored health insurance plan with a certain amount of coverage as defined by Hawaii State law. Some will offer it free to employees, but most require the employees to pay part of the cost of the insurance plan. Since I am single, I pay $50 a month for my health insurance, which isn't too bad. If I were to get married and add my spouse, it costs 5x more. Have children? The costs jumps even more.

Yes. Thousands of non-military Hawaii residents work on the various military bases. For example, the Pearl Harbor Shipyard alone employs around 4300 civilians.

Quoting N801NW (Reply 20):
Bellows Air Force Station is on the east side and offers a nice private beach

+1. It was easily my favorite beach on Oahu. It pays to have an buddy in the military.

Bellows is open to the public on weekends and holidays. However, to stay in the cabins you need a military sponsor.

N801NW

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Quoting ha763 (Reply 25):
Bellows is open to the public on weekends and holidays. However, to stay in the cabins you need a military sponsor.

My understanding was, and it could be incorrect, was that there was a public beach and a private/military one past the gates.I was there on a non-holiday Wednesday if that helps.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 pm

We just had an article in this past Saturday's Honolulu Advertiser that reported on a survey showing an increase in the number of residents that see more positives than negatives with tourism in Hawaii.

Hawaii residents now see tourism more favorably, poll finds

Yea I can't imagine why. The last poll was taken in 2007. The economy was still pretty strong then. I'm sure Hawaii was crowded and busy and the locals were getting annoyed with the tourists in much the same way we do in Florida. When their bread and butter started to go away with the economy beginning to fall in 2008 and a rough 2009, I'm sure many of these who had a change of opinion realized just what exactly drives a huge chunk of their state economy.

That's cool.
I am tempted to write up a trip report for my Hawaii trip.
It consisted of a United 747-200, Aloha 737-200 and Island Air Dash 8-100

I miss the Aloha 737-200s.    I was there for the second in June 2008, just a couple months after AQ ceased passenger ops. They still had their cargo operations, as a 737-200 roared right by to land on 4L or 4R while I was on the golf hole at Hickam that's closest to those runways. Even better was in 2005 where one of the holes is right by the taxiway leading out to the Reef Runway. I'm trying to putt and an Aloha 737-200 with those loud as hell JT8Ds taxis right by.   

Yes. Thousands of non-military Hawaii residents work on the various military bases. For example, the Pearl Harbor Shipyard alone employs around 4300 civilians

Any idea what percentage of the local economy is driven by the military presence in Hawaii?

I am no fan of being around hordes of your typical obnoxious tourist but there is one good thing to be said about Waikiki Beach.

Views like this from your hotel aren't too bad either
Quoting N801NW (Reply 20):

Next time have your buddy take you to Kaneohe for a round of golf. Amusing that the best golf course in the DoD belongs to the Marines and not the Air Force.   

The 13th Hole at Kaneohe Marine Air Corps Station. (No, I did not hit my shot in the ocean. I hooked it into the shit on the left. I did hit my ball into the ocean on this hole in 2005 though).

Superfly

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Quoting je89_w (Reply 23):
I can tell you that the days of the $9 buffets are over. Everything has gone up in price; in fact Waikiki can be considered one of the most expensive areas in Hawaii! As you mentioned flying a UA B747-200, was that the last time you visited Hawaii? Many things have changed since then!

This was waaaaaaaaay back in the year 2000 C.E.   
The United 747-200 was scrapped just a few months after this trip.
Sad to hear that Waikiki no longer has the $9 all you can eat buffets.
How much are they today? Are they still all you can eat?
Even in 2000, dining on the Big Island and Moloka'i was at least $25 per person. The only other option was fast food. Has it gone up since?

Quoting je89_w (Reply 23):
Those "so-called" unsafe areas are also full of drug-addicts/dealers, criminals, etc. especially at night, and that problem doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Sounds like parts of any other major US city.  
Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 27):
I miss the Aloha 737-200s.

Same here.
I just may have to scan in those prints and type up a trip report when I get a chance.

Views like this from your hotel aren't too bad either

Bring back the Concorde

nkops

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:35 pm

They screwed up... New Jersey should be 49th, not 29th.... it's depressing here!!!  
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

gocaps16

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 am

Hawaii is one of my favorite port cities to visit, besides, Australia and Hong Kong. After numourous visits, I still love the place. Nothing beats the feeling of "manning the rails" and saluting while we soar past the USS Arizona memorial sight while entering/leaving Pearl Habor. It's an imaginable feeling. After my 7 year tour in Japan is over, I'd like to be stationed in Kaneohe Bay MCAS.

Next time have your buddy take you to Kaneohe for a round of golf. Amusing that the best golf course in the DoD belongs to the Marines and not the Air Force.

PT days: Play golf and go surfing. Can't beat that.

[Edited 2010-02-17 18:57:35]

MoltenRock

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:38 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):

Buffets are usually disgusting and overpriced even if they are $ .99. As I think back over the year I think the only good buffet I've ever had was in Krakow, Poland at the Holiday Inn of all places. Otherwise they are gut churning, blandness, of disgusting food in ridiculous proportions. JMO.

je89_w
Screener

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:14 am

The United 747-200 was scrapped just a few months after this trip.

I await a trip report! Gotta love those classics!  

Typically the buffets range from $20-$50.

ha763

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:02 am

Any idea what percentage of the local economy is driven by the military presence in Hawaii?

In 2007, the Federal government made up 13.6% of Hawaii's GDP and is the second largest industry in Hawaii. Of that, about 8% is from the military.

Quoting N801NW (Reply 26):
My understanding was, and it could be incorrect, was that there was a public beach and a private/military one past the gates.I was there on a non-holiday Wednesday if that helps.

The cabin area is restricted, but the main beach park area is only open on weekends and holidays. That area is usually where the military trains for shore landings, which would is done during weekdays. The military and City and County of Honolulu also have an agreement where the public can camp in the beach park area during the weekends.

Superfly

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:30 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 31):
Buffets are usually disgusting and overpriced even if they are $ .99. As I think back over the year I think the only good buffet I've ever had was in Krakow, Poland at the Holiday Inn of all places. Otherwise they are gut churning, blandness, of disgusting food in ridiculous proportions. JMO.

Sad that you can't read the context in which I brought up the buffet choices. Not to mention, I never mentioned anything about a $.99 buffet.
If you simply re-read my post above, I mentioned $.99 Mai Tais. Since you don't have a clue as to what I was talking about or bothered to read my entire post, you have no authority to call the buffets on Waikiki " disgusting and overpriced".
I've eaten at everything from 5 star restaurants to small greasy-spoons an everything in between in over 25 countries throughout my life. So please spare us the elitist crap.

Quoting je89_w (Reply 32):
I await a trip report! Gotta love those classics!

Give me a few weeks.  
Bring back the Concorde

MadameConcorde

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Get your traditional Hawaiian music right at home.

Listen to am940 live streaming on line 24/24

http://streaming.am940hawaii.com/_pl...coxradio/index.php?callsign=KKNEAM