vikkyvik

RE: Palin Now Takes On "Family Guy"

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:34 pm

Quoting ea772lr (Reply 7):
No need to throw petty attacks at her or her family. She isn't even an active politician, and yet she comes across as so threatening to the left...crikey!!!!!
Family Guy is by no means a spokesperson for the "left". It's a freaking cartoon.

Quoting ea772lr (Reply 11):
Sounds like our President and particularly the one and only VeeP...Joe Biden.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Quoting ea772lr (Reply 11):
I agree, however, rather than attack the FOX network, why not attack the script writers for Family Guy??

Agreed with that.

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 12):
"The left"? Family Guy a cartoon on FOX is "leftist"? Have you seen the show? They've made fun of every idiot Republican, Democrat, gays, asians, whites, blacks, Bill Clinton, Hillary, Bush, Kim Jong-il, cancer victims, you name it they've poked fun at them.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 13):
Protecting and defending your kids isn't a real fight? It's easy to have a thick skin when something is directed at you personally but when people make fun of your children it is a low blow that really rankles.

I still haven't heard how Family Guy attacked Trig Palin. Why does he need to be protected and defended against an animated TV show?

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 17):
It tries to suggest its post-modern; but actually its humour comes from gawkings gags against soft targets and the vulnerable.

Post-modern??? That's laughable. All Family Guy suggests is that it is crass. Pretty much everything else is what the audience takes from it.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 23):
I do believe the humor is more left-leaning and right-wing bashing than the other way around but not completely one sided. And I accept that it's a comedy show and I can often see the humor in (most of) their jokes so it's all good to me, even their jokes about conservatives. Family Guy has made fun of race to ethnicity to AIDS and everything in between. It's the way the show is - if you don't like it, don't watch it. But let those of us who do enjoy it watch our show.

Though, to be fair, no one is preventing us from watching. They can protest all they want.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 23):

The problem is the left has a set of jokes or statements they always get offended and bent out of shape over (usually race or sex) while the right has jokes they get offended over (such as Palin here).

Quoting dxing (Reply 24):
No because Fox Entertainment and Fox News are seperate entities under the same corporate umbrella.

But someone like me (and probably many others) sees "Fox" in both, and assumes they are related. I don't differentiate between Fox News and Fox Entertainment (especially since they get shown on the same TV channel).

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 28):
The majority of the comedy is targeted against minorities or irrelevent pop culture. When there are more broad attacks, it's always against a small subset of characteristics such as gender, sex or race. It re-enforces negative stereotypes, on 'both sides' of all situations. That doesn't make it right or funny.

If something is "pop culture", I'd say that it is by definition relevant.

Also, in case you hadn't noticed, the star of the show is a dumb, fat, stereotyping, lazy white guy.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 34):
I have to agree. A lot of what passes for comedy today is incredibly offensive.

Only if you allow yourself to be offended by it.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Springbok747

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm no fan of Sarah Palin..but this was a bit too much. Family Guy used to be funny the first few seasons..now its just obnoxious. I can't stand it..they don't have any real jokes, just a bunch of loosely connected overly sexual 'jokes' and making fun of everyone. Since when did making jokes about people with serious disabilities become funny?
אני תומך בישראל

FlyPNS1

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 51):
Since when did making jokes about people with serious disabilities become funny?

Did you actually see the episode? The girl with down syndrome was largely portrayed as just another high school kid. So are we not supposed to see people with down syndrome in public or down syndrome characters on TV? Should they be hidden away in shame?

AGM100

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 49):
A big to do about nothing at all as well. Palin is a comedian's dream to step into Bush's place. The stuff just writes itself.

That may be ... but she does not mind hitting him for it . So your canidated must pass the comedians boring test ? I have never heard a funny joke about Bush that I can recall ...just the same old shit over and over . Same with the comdedians schtick about Palin ...they are empty small minded people who are simply one OD away from oblivion. I know good comedy ... and I have never found that useing political figures from either side is that funny . (Except Phil Hartman doing Bill Clinton in McDonalds explaining Samolia with cheeseburgers and pickels )  
Quoting Adam T. (Reply 48):
As for Sarah Palin - honestly, I just don't find her to be as competent as she and her supporters make her out to be so I ignore her.

We said the same thing about President Obama ... but of course we were just not enlightened enough. Liberal arrogance will be the anchor around thier necks in the end. Not saying Palin is some genius academic ... but she never claims to be ..she claims some basic common sence like .... dont spend what you dont have .. ?

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 51):
Since when did making jokes about people with serious disabilities become funny?

Since it is targeted towards a conservative female .... they can not possibly get ugly enough on Palin ... and it will get worse till its settled.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 40):
She'll never call out Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, or even comedian Dennis Miller for the same behavior. This is sooooo "Presidential" like isn't it?

Palin did call out Rush Limbaugh, calling his remarks "crude and demeaning".

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201002040043

But this is actually old news.

Palin has a different view than most others on the matter because she has a child with down syndrome. Everyone else needs to understand that. Looking at it from Palin's point of view, I can see where she would be offended. However, On the other hand, Palin also needs to understand that everyone else has had different experiences as well. Just because Palin takes offense to the term "retard" does not mean the rest of us have to, especially when the phrase can be used in many different contexts.

Quoting Adam T. (Reply 48):
If you have read or seen interviews with Seth McFarland (the writer, creator of Family Guy) you will know he is one of the most liberal people you can find. In my view the whole point of Family Guy is to make fun of American culture and things that people make a huge deal about or blow out of proportion.

That's fine by me. I can laugh at myself and I can often laugh at stereotypes of conservatives and Republicans. I love watching Leno because his jokes about the Republicans are just as humorous as his jokes about the Democrats. When a joke is told you have three choices - A) Laugh. B) Ignore it C) Get defensive. People will react differently to each joke based on their own life experiences or situations and some will find certain jokes more offensive then others. You'll never please everyone so there's no point in trying.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

tbar220

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 4):

That toon was inappropriate. Seems to me they made fun of her child.
Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 5):
Yea really that was totally ridiculous and an obvious slag against her. What a loser that producer is. In lefts attempt to smear this women they are going to err quite badly.
Quoting 4holer (Reply 14):
Some places you just don't go. Great, have a chuckle in the writing room, but then move on to other ideas.
It's just pretty low.
when did taking the piss out of disabled kids become acceptable?

I think that George Carlin (RIP) is appropriate here.

"Some people will try to tell you that you can't joke about something because its not funny. They'll tell you you can't joke about rape cause its not funny. I say f*** you I think its hilarious!! How do you like that? I can prove to you rape is funny! Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd. See? Why do you think they call him Porky?..."

"I think you can joke about ANYTHING."

So really? Do we really have to act so offended by a very subtle little comment? A subtle little jab at Sarah Palin? This wasn't even an attack on her kids. I want to know how the joke was an attack on "retards". This seems to be a point that everybody who was so offended by this comment are ignoring. This episode and comment wasn't an attack on "retards"! Care to address this point?

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 27):
There are some things you just cannot do or say, or you are gonna be askin' for trouble....legal trouble for starters....

Clearly there are some things that you can't say or write. Its called libel or slander. Now on that note, what is what family guy did even remotely close to putting them into legal trouble?
NO URLS in signature

Tugger

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Because we seem to be talking about a "new PC"/allowable ways to talk, can someone here give a list of what is not OK to say in public and in what way you should address sensitive topics in public?

I think I may be talking to fellow Republicans or maybe its Right wingers or maybe its Conservatives but it is different than the Left wing/Democrat/Liberal PC speak.

Thanks,

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

steeler83

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 6):
I saw this story a couple of days ago. How stupid to be offended at a cartoon. That show is so out there and not worth being offended over. There are things on that show that rub me the wrong way, but for God's sake: It's a freakin' cartoon! I even saw that episode and I never heard that line, nor did I even make the connection between Palin and that cartoon girl. Palin says she has "thick skin" but I call BS on that one. She needs to grow up and fight real fights instead of with a freakin' cartoon!

Good post!

I watch that show religiously, and there are some things in that show that rub me the wrong way as well. I can't stand how left that show can be, but like you said, it's a fictional show. They take current events, twist them around, and throw it back at us. Sometimes it's funny as hell, and sometimes it's not. Like you said, she needs to grow up a lot. Big fricking deal, Sarah. Really...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

san747

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 52):

Did you actually see the episode? The girl with down syndrome was largely portrayed as just another high school kid. So are we not supposed to see people with down syndrome in public or down syndrome characters on TV? Should they be hidden away in shame?

Sarah Palin's reaction seems to indicate so. Her taking offense to the Family Guy guy episode (which of course I'm sure she actually watched   ) indicates that she thinks she and her son Trig should be treated differently than other "normal" children. She thinks that because her son has a disability, which frankly isn't as crippling as she and others make it out to be, it would be better for him to be treated differently and looked down upon and felt sorry for.

THAT is what is offensive about the situation, not the Family Guy episode or their depiction of a character with Down's Syndrome.
Scotty doesn't know...

777236ER

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Quoting tbar220 (Reply 55):
I think that George Carlin (RIP) is appropriate here.

"Some people will try to tell you that you can't joke about something because its not funny. They'll tell you you can't joke about rape cause its not funny. I say f*** you I think its hilarious!! How do you like that? I can prove to you rape is funny! Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd. See? Why do you think they call him Porky?..."

"I think you can joke about ANYTHING."

So really? Do we really have to act so offended by a very subtle little comment? A subtle little jab at Sarah Palin? This wasn't even an attack on her kids. I want to know how the joke was an attack on "retards". This seems to be a point that everybody who was so offended by this comment are ignoring. This episode and comment wasn't an attack on "retards"! Care to address this point?

I never said I was offended, nor did I say you shouldn't joke about this. But it's not funny, and it is simply laughing at disabled children.

It's ridiculous to quote George Calin when referring to Family Guy; there's no link between the two.
Your bone's got a little machine

OA412

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44 pm

Quoting san747 (Reply 58):
She thinks that because her son has a disability, which frankly isn't as crippling as she and others make it out to be, it would be better for him to be treated differently and looked down upon and felt sorry for.

That's what keeps getting lost in all of this. She is using her disabled child for political gain. You don't get much lower than that.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

MoltenRock
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 53):
Since it is targeted towards a conservative female ..

Republican's reach for this canard every time, while at the same time mutter that Democrats play the race card. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

I've read your posts from 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 about Bush. You praise him regularly and freely admitted you really like him. It's no surprise you like Palin as well, as both have that "aw, gee, shucks, gosh, golly" stammer. People usually state they like the "guy next door" feel that gives them as polls indicated. In fact Bush was consistently voted most affable by many in 2000 and 2004 to "to have a beer with". They are "simple" people is what many say who indeed like the two.

On the opposite side there are those of us, like myself, who don't care if we personally like the person or not. I personally find that sentiment of "having a beer" with a President to be a laughable concept. I'm sorry but the US President is not the president of your fraternity in college, my expectations are much higher. There are not "simple" answers for complex problems. Many problems are much bigger than the uneducated American electorate can comprehend or care to, as they'd rather just go have a beer and a pithy sound byte to cure the problem. (They hate us for our freedom. Support the troops. Less taxes cut spending. Etc.) George Bush left us exactly where many of us predicted his foolish policies would. Just wait until the economy rebounds and stagflation kill the growth off like the last time a President was as irresponsible about a war. It's happened before. It's called the 1970s which was the hangover from the wrapping up of Vietnam.

If Sarah Palin were actually tough I'd give her a little credit but she's all show, no go just as Bush was and still is. In no way is someone who was governor of a state with populations smaller than most mayors preside over qualified to be President after 2 years in the job and quitting. Sarah is an uneducated twit. Bush II was far more qualified to be President than she is, and Bush II is an utter fool. The problem is the educated Republicans have been sidelined because the group of morons and bible beaters the RNC pandered to for 20 years has finally become the voice of the Republican party. Where are the George Wills, Newt Gingrichs (Newt minus the partisan streak), Christie Todd Whitmans, HW Bush, Frank Schaffer, Bill Bennett's, and others like him today?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/fearmongering-h/

tbar220

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:50 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 59):
I never said I was offended, nor did I say you shouldn't joke about this. But it's not funny, and it is simply laughing at disabled children.

You didn't say you were offended, but you did say...

Indicating to me that you think that I shouldn't joke about it. But sorry, I shouldn't assume, because you know what happens when I assume. I make a big ol' ass out of myself.

Secondly, where do we draw the line on humor? Is it ok to make fun of regular kids, but not disabled kids? How about quadriplegics?

Q: What do you call a quadriplegic on a wall?
A: Art

Q: What do you call a quadriplegic on in a pool?
A: Bob

Q: What do you call a quadriplegic in a sewer hole?
A: Phil

Q: What do you call a one legged woman standing against a wall?
A: Aileen

Q: What do you call the same woman from China?
A: Irene

So did I take that too far? Is it unacceptable for me to make fun of quadriplegics? Is it unacceptable for me to make fun of disabled children? Where do we draw the line?

Finally, on the BIGGER note on this entire thread that seems to be ignored. How did this episode of family guy make fun of disabled children? Because that seems to be the gripe of Sarah Palin. She called them "heartless jerks". For what? What did they do in the episode that makes them heartless jerks?
NO URLS in signature

san747

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Quoting tbar220 (Reply 62):
How did this episode of family guy make fun of disabled children? Because that seems to be the gripe of Sarah Palin. She called them "heartless jerks". For what? What did they do in the episode that makes them heartless jerks?

There was nothing in the episode that made fun of those with disabilities. For those who haven't seen it, I'll link it, and I highly suggest you watch the whole thing-

http://www.hulu.com/watch/125175/fam...-guy-extra-large-medium#s-p1-so-i0

Hell, "psychics" should be more offended by this episode than those with Down's Syndrome!
Scotty doesn't know...

vikkyvik

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 39):
Now me on the other hand if someone made fun of my kid like that

Like what??? Trig Palin was not an object of derision on Family Guy.

No mentally disabled people were objects of derision. Indeed, the mentally disabled girl on Family Guy was treated just like any other character.

Would it be better if we treated them differently?

This wasn't even an attack on her kids. I want to know how the joke was an attack on "retards". This seems to be a point that everybody who was so offended by this comment are ignoring. This episode and comment wasn't an attack on "retards"! Care to address this point?

Well, I haven't seen anyone address that point yet, true as it may be.

The ONLY comment that could even be construed as having anything to do with Palin was "my mom is the former Governor of Alaska" or whatever. But big deal! That doesn't make fun of disabled kids, nor does it make fun of Palin. It injects humor, certainly, but not mocking humor.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

AirframeAS

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 pm

Now on that note, what is what family guy did even remotely close to putting them into legal trouble?

Forgive me, I have not seen said episode of Family Guy.... but now before I answer that question, did Family Guy verbally mention Palin and her baby in any way, shape or form on that show?

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 33):
Seth MacFarlane does a great job.

If he was smart, he wouldn't have done this in the first place. This does not make McFarlane smart, it makes him look like a fool. How would you feel, MoltenRock, if you had a disabled child, and I poked fun of him/her in your presence? Now apply that feeling to this thread. That is the point people are trying to get across.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

AGM100

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 61):
They are "simple" people is what many say who indeed like the two.

And that is how it is ... well put. Haveing spent the past 25 years working in a highly complex high tech field. I promise you ...the best managers , department heads and directors I have ever worked for are people who have this quality.

Nothing is worse that working for some person who believes they know it all , I would much rather work for "real" people. People who know how to get things done and are able to use those around them to complete tasks.

I didnt like President Bush because he was a bumbling huggable hillbilly .... the President was tough and sturdy. He was not blown by the winds of polls and the need to be liked by everyone ... he did what he thought was right and battled until the end.

Like it or not ... he was a good president . Were all his decisions wonderful ? ...NO ... but you knew where he was coming from and where he wanted to go. The Iraq invasion and its legacy is not settled ...and I know many vets who hate him for it . But what was done was done and he never waivered.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

kevi747

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:52 pm

Quoting san747 (Reply 63):
Hell, "psychics" should be more offended by this episode than those with Down's Syndrome!
Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 64):
No mentally disabled people were objects of derision. Indeed, the mentally disabled girl on Family Guy was treated just like any other character.

Would it be better if we treated them differently?

Exactly. The girl in the episode was treated like any other character. This kind of manufactured backlash makes the "offended" parties look like the true bigots. It's almost as if they themselves are secretly ashamed of their loved ones.

This reminds me of the fake outrage directed at John Kerry when he mentioned that Mary Cheney was a lesbian during the 2004 debates.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 60):
She is using her disabled child for political gain. You don't get much lower than that.

Kind of looks that way, huh?
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

Aaron747

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:58 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 54):
Palin did call out Rush Limbaugh, calling his remarks "crude and demeaning".

Not so fast - she told Chris Wallace that it wasn't as serious for Rush because he was using satire. She was apparently shocked that anyone wouldn't get that distinction. Which is exactly why Colbert went a step further, replayed her contradictory clips and then labeled her a "f*****g retard".

Quoting Bohica (Reply 10):
Obviously the "Family Guy" program was making fun of Sarah Palin. Sarah tries to turn this around by saying that the FOX network is making fun of people with down syndrome. Did Sarah Palin forget she now works for FOX? This is just another example of the disease she is suffering. It's called foot-in-the-mouth disease. Every time she opens her mouth she sticks her foot in it.

Absolutely.   

Protecting and defending your kids isn't a real fight? It's easy to have a thick skin when something is directed at you personally but when people make fun of your children it is a low blow that really rankles

Mature, level-headed adults don't get upset over TV shows with a proven track record of being universally offensive. Are airline pilots pissed about the "giggity giggity" guy? Are obese Americans offended by Peter's obvious laziness and poor dietary habits? Should we complain that evil baby Stewie is a slag on the little people most of us find adorable? Give me a break. You protect your kids when they are exposed to real harm or the victims of wrongdoing - not crap like this. Last week at the mall some idiot teenie Japanese mom who was too preoccupied with text messaging to watch her kids got a talking to from me for letting her 2 year-old infect my kids as well as the entire play area with his nonstop highly-congested cough and violent sneezing. Infinitely more offensive than some satirical animated comedy show could ever be.

[Edited 2010-02-17 15:59:40]
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

vikkyvik

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:00 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 65):
Forgive me, I have not seen said episode of Family Guy.... but now before I answer that question, did Family Guy verbally mention Palin and her baby in any way, shape or form on that show?

See here:

The ONLY comment that could even be construed as having anything to do with Palin was "my mom is the former Governor of Alaska" or whatever.

That is it. Nothing else at all. No one said the names "Palin", "Trig", "Sarah", "Bristol", or any combination thereof, far as I know.

If he was smart, he wouldn't have done this in the first place. This does not make McFarlane smart, it makes him look like a fool. How would you feel, MoltenRock, if you had a disabled child, and I poked fun of him/her in your presence? Now apply that feeling to this thread. That is the point people are trying to get across.

The question should be:

How would you feel, MoltenRock, if you had a disabled child, and I made an ambivalent and inoffensive reference to you that in no way disparaged disabled children or their parents?

san747

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:01 am

No, not in any way. The only mention about Palin was the "former governor of Alaska" remark, and there was no name mentioned.
Scotty doesn't know...

seb146

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:06 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 12):
in the suburbs of upstate NY.

I was going to call you out on this one, but it was already addresed. The 20 people in Rhode Island have already protested and have gone home... 
Protecting and defending your kids isn't a real fight? It's easy to have a thick skin when something is directed at you personally but when people make fun of your children it is a low blow that really rankles.

Palin has a baby boy. The cartoon (keep in mind, it was a cartoon Palin is upset about) featured a teenaged girl. A functioning member of society. A female that can talk, walk, make her own decisions and, otherwise, live life normally. To me, I saw the whole thing as Chris could not score a date with anyone else. He had dated the most popular girl in school and now is being rejected and put through the ringer by a girl with Downs. If anyone really did see the whole episode and knows what had happened in former episodes.

The writers of this cartoon (I point that out again) continually have the charicters cap on Meg. The parents continually admit they do not like her. One episode she said she was going to commit suicide by eating peanuts; she is allergic. The parents' reaction? "Geez... who was that guy?" Where was Palin's (or anyone's) outrage over that? Where was Palin's outrage over the numerous times Stewie has tried to kill Lois? Where was Palin's outrage when Meg had premarital sex?

OVER A FREKIN' CARTOON, PEOPLE!!!

As I just pointed out, the guy in this cartoon got the short end of the stick. She dumped him.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

AirframeAS

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:07 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 69):
The ONLY comment that could even be construed as having anything to do with Palin was "my mom is the former Governor of Alaska" or whatever.

That is it. Nothing else at all. No one said the names "Palin", "Trig", "Sarah", "Bristol", or any combination thereof, far as I know.
Quoting san747 (Reply 70):
The only mention about Palin was the "former governor of Alaska" remark, and there was no name mentioned.

When you put the disabled child and the "former governor of Alaska" remark, putting two and two together.... you're gonna get some sort of backlash from it no matter what. That is slander, period. And it is classless, tasteless and highly inappropriate. You don't need a person's name to slander someone. That is what I meant by legal action in one of my earlier posts.

Now I question McFarlane's maturity.... is he...what... 12??

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of Palin at all, so don't get any ideas here.

vikkyvik

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 72):
That is slander, period. And it is classless, tasteless and highly inappropriate. You don't need a person's name to slander someone. That is what I meant by legal action in one of my earlier posts.

You may not need a person's name, but you do need:

1 : the utterance of false charges or misrepresentations which defame and damage another's reputation
or
2 : a false and defamatory oral statement about a person

Good luck finding that in the episode. Unless you think that saying that the former governor of Alaska has a disabled child is defamatory or damaging.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slander

san747

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:15 am

When you put the disabled child and the "former governor of Alaska" remark, putting two and two together.... you're gonna get some sort of backlash from it no matter what. That is slander, period. And it is classless, tasteless and highly inappropriate.

Watch the episode, and then tell me, in detail, exactly what in the episode was derogatory or insulting to those with Down's Syndrome. Is it the idea that someone might actually like her? Or is it the fact that the character was independent and functioning, so much so that she developed a distinct personality and the flaws that come with it like any other person?
Scotty doesn't know...

AirframeAS

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 73):
Quoting san747 (Reply 74):

It is not that difficult to put two and two together. Having a charactor with Down Syndrome say the words "My mother was the governor of Alaska" clearly points to the obvious.

It is not that difficult to figure out. Think about it.

Springbok747

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 52):

Yes I saw the episode. I never said those things..don't put words in my mouth. The episode wasn't funny..it was just another crappy Family Guy episode. They could have had the same sort of humour without bringing peoples' kids into the jokes. And again..I am no fan of Sarah Palin..but this episode just sucked.
Family Guy has been going down the drain lately..it has random musical numbers inserted into the show, which just aren't funny. The characters are just bad. Take Meg for example, somewhere in the series Meg went from "member of the family" to "verbal punching bag" was stupid. The fact it was done because the writers allegedly didn't know how to write for a teenage female character just makes it even more stupid. Stewie used to be fun but now he has turned into a middle-aged gay man in a baby's body..which is nuts.
אני תומך בישראל

Aaron747

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:29 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 75):

It's not that difficult for an adult with all their marbles together to ignore it given the source. Think about it.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Kent350787

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:29 am

I am not a Palin fan. Generally, I believe she's fair game, and there are many, many, many things to pick on her for.

Whilst i don't see this reference as slanderous, I do think it was in somewhat poor taste (then again, it is Family Guy  . And it may have been hurtful to her, but isn't it her role to overreact to any real or perceived slight? She is a Fox commentator, after all?

Kent

san747

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:30 am

It is not that difficult to put two and two together. Having a charactor with Down Syndrome say the words "My mother was the governor of Alaska" clearly points to the obvious.

OK, that's obviously a reference to her. But what is slanderous about it? You seem to be implying that acknowledging that Palin has a developmentally disabled child is slanderous... only someone who feels that having such a child is a bad thing would consider simple acknowledgment (and really a very dubious one at that) is slanderous.
Scotty doesn't know...

vikkyvik

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:40 am

Look, I posted the definition of slander, which I went through the trouble of finding and posting so you didn't have to look it up. If you want to ignore said definition, then you probably shouldn't accuse Family Guy of slander.

I'll break it down some more:

A simple reference to someone is NOT, by itself, slanderous.

AirframeAS

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:44 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 80):
I posted the definition of slander

I know what it means, sir.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 80):
which I went through the trouble of finding and posting so you didn't have to look it up.

You went through trouble? Hardly. I could easily find that on dictionary.com.

I still stand by my point regardless if you agree or not. And that is ok if you don't agree.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 77):
It's not that difficult for an adult with all their marbles together to ignore it given the source.

I agree, but she chose not to, however.

vikkyvik

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:24 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 81):
I know what it means, sir.

You went through trouble? Hardly. I could easily find that on dictionary.com.

So, once again, could you please provide an explanation as to how Family Guy slandered Sarah Palin or her family?

Slander can be a crime. So, if you were in a court of law, how would you support your assertion?

I still stand by my point regardless if you agree or not. And that is ok if you don't agree.

Certainly, and likewise. But I'm asking you to please elaborate on your point.

Dreadnought

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:35 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 82):

So, once again, could you please provide an explanation as to how Family Guy slandered Sarah Palin or her family?

Don't be dense. The girl in the show was clearly portrayed as being mentally handicapped, and the implication is that not only is Trig aflicted, but perhaps all her kids. And it used as a weapon the handicap of a poor kid whose parents freely chose to take care of.

As for Rush, he would not have used the term had Rahmbo not used it.

The Family Guy incident is completely separate, as it was probably produced months ago.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

MoltenRock
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:35 am

The episode is not slanderous at all. You can 2+2+2+2+2 all day long it doesn't matter. Even if the show had said, "My mom is Sarah Palin" it's not slander. It's a comedy cartoon, marinated in satire, flash cooked in crassness, and served on the comedy china.

Palin, nor anyone else could sue the show for such as the Supreme Court has ruled on more than one occasion a public official such as Palin is open game, and secondly is clear to anyone it is satirical, and no reasonable person would take as truth, has no case. Period.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 83):

Oh get real. Beck, Limbaugh, Dennis Miller, and the other morons on the right have used the word plenty over the years. Regardless of who said what, conservatives have always claimed to hold themselves to a higher standard yet never do. (But....but.......but.......but Clinton as a defense for the 8 years of the Bush Regime come to mind.)

[Edited 2010-02-17 17:38:34]

Aaron747

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:41 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 84):
Palin, nor anyone else could sue the show for such as the Supreme Court has ruled on more than one occasion a public official such as Palin is open game, and secondly is clear to anyone it is satirical, and no reasonable person would take as truth, has no case. Period.

Thank you for the necessary Falwell v. Flynt reminder. If Palin doesn't want to be subject to this stuff she can simply ignore it or leave public life.

More useless equivocation. There's always a high road, and that guy never takes it. He's part of the reason Palin's defenses look so ridiculous now.

vikkyvik

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:07 am

Don't be dense.

Thanks for the advice.

The girl in the show was clearly portrayed as being mentally handicapped

So clearly that they actually said it!

There was nothing to be implied there. She was stated as having Down's Syndrome in the episode.

and the implication is that not only is Trig aflicted, but perhaps all her kids

You lost me there. First of all, why do you need to imply that Trig is afflicted by Down's Syndrome? Hasn't that been stated by Sarah Palin herself (or is common knowledge through some channel or other)? Secondly, I don't agree with the implication that all her kids are afflicted. I'm being perfectly honest here: that thought didn't ever cross my mind until I read what you wrote.

And it used as a weapon the handicap of a poor kid whose parents freely chose to take care of.

I'm not trying to be dense, but I don't understand what you were trying to say here.

Dreadnought

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 84):
Oh get real. Beck, Limbaugh, Dennis Miller, and the other morons on the right have used the word plenty over the years

And how many of them hold positions of high influence in our government. I think Rahmbo, Obama and all other government officials should be held to a higher standard than entertainers. I don't mind morons like Olbermann, Maher and Maddow being as dumb as they are and saying what they say. But if they were in the government I have a serious problem.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 86):

You lost me there. First of all, why do you need to imply that Trig is afflicted by Down's Syndrome?

I'm saying the implication regards the other children, as the girl is clearly not Trig.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 86):
I'm not trying to be dense, but I don't understand what you were trying to say here.

You can't attack a child's affliction and not expect that the families of that child not to react.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Aaron747

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:43 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 87):
I think Rahmbo, Obama and all other government officials should be held to a higher standard than entertainers. I don't mind morons like Olbermann, Maher and Maddow being as dumb as they are and saying what they say.

See I think that's slightly backwards - as much as I despise the media talking heads, at least they have a real job. They have to show up early and write, meet with producers, and put out a product that people will actually watch. If they can't cut it, they don't stay on the air. At least in that regard, they are held to a higher standard than the morons in Congress who say stupid things reflexively, do nothing to improve the discourse or the country in general, and still get to keep their jobs and the ridiculous benefits that come with them.

You can't attack a child's affliction and not expect that the families of that child not to react.

You're just not getting it - please refer to previous posts about actual wrongdoing to a child rather than further antics of an already outrageously satirical animated show.

seb146

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 am

The girl in the show was clearly portrayed as being mentally handicapped,

Well, no. First of all, she is a cartoon charicter living in a fictional town in Rhode Island. Secondly, she was shown as perfectly capable of living her life and making every decision put before her. Many of us can not claim that. The only reason anyone knew (or cared) that she has Downs is there was a song about it.

the implication is that not only is Trig aflicted, but perhaps all her kids.

Was the episode about a baby boy with Downs being less compitant than anyone else? No. It was about a girl going on a date and the girl just happens to have Downs. In a cartoon. In a fictional town.

Either one of the could probably be a better speller than me. Since Trig is too young to write and the girl is a fictional cartoon charicter, we can not know right now.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

vikkyvik

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:50 am

I'm saying the implication regards the other children, as the girl is clearly not Trig.

Oh thanks, I see what you said now.

If we're going to talk about implications in the show, however, it's worth noting that the girl's name in the show is Ellen. Palin does not have a child named Ellen. If the girl had been named Bristol, or Willow, or Piper, then I could see what you're saying.

Certainly, and I might even understand that. But my question all along has been: where was the attack?

That's what I'm missing here. I honestly don't see an attack, slander, libel, or anything of that nature. I see an episode involving a mentally handicapped girl (in which the majority of jokes were not about her mental handicap), in which there was ONE reference to the "former governor of Alaska" - literally the 2 seconds it took her to say it.

So again: where is the slander? That's all I asked. Maybe I'm too dense to understand, though  

AirframeAS

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:04 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 82):
But I'm asking you to please elaborate on your point.

I already have. What more do you want?

777236ER

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:45 am

Indicating to me that you think that I shouldn't joke about it. But sorry, I shouldn't assume, because you know what happens when I assume. I make a big ol' ass out of myself.

Secondly, where do we draw the line on humor? Is it ok to make fun of regular kids, but not disabled kids? How about quadriplegics?

Q: What do you call a quadriplegic on a wall?
A: Art

Q: What do you call a quadriplegic on in a pool?
A: Bob

Q: What do you call a quadriplegic in a sewer hole?
A: Phil

Q: What do you call a one legged woman standing against a wall?
A: Aileen

Q: What do you call the same woman from China?
A: Irene

So did I take that too far? Is it unacceptable for me to make fun of quadriplegics? Is it unacceptable for me to make fun of disabled children? Where do we draw the line?

I'm not saying Family Guy should be censured, but it can clearly be criticised without getting into philosophical discussions over the nature of comedy. In this case the 'humour' referred to a particular disabled child: the joke was that they were disabled.

Homophobic and racist jokes shouldn't be banned either, that doesn't make them funny nor immune to criticism.

How did this episode of family guy make fun of disabled children?

The entire joke is that this Sarah Palin has a disabled child.

MoltenRock
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:25 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 92):
The entire joke is that this Sarah Palin has a disabled child.

Nope, not at all. The joke is Sarah Palin herself. She should stop playing the baby card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiixgBK5gvM

CaliAtenza

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:16 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 21):

LOL, you kidding? She is gaining more and more strength. Denial is an ugly thing huh?

Ed Schultz and MSNBC made a special live news segment just to cover her speech at the tea party convention. Does that sound like someone whos fame is over?

From what you said you stood for in another thread (as i understood it you are a liberal on social issues), i think she's pretty much against that. We still have no idea what her fiscal policy is either. So yeah, i dont think you are doing yourself any favors by supporting her.

vikkyvik

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 91):
I already have. What more do you want?

You explained that by "legal trouble" you meant slander.

You never actually explained what was slanderous, or provided examples of said slander in the episode:

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 27):
...legal trouble for starters....
That is slander, period. And it is classless, tasteless and highly inappropriate. You don't need a person's name to slander someone. That is what I meant by legal action in one of my earlier posts.

Telling us that it's not that difficult to figure out, and that we should think about it, isn't much of an explanation.

But anyway, if you feel that you've explained sufficiently, no big deal.

777236ER

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 93):

Nope, not at all. The joke is Sarah Palin herself. She should stop playing the baby card.

Who Sarah Palin is is irrelevent. I've already said I don't agree with her politics, and her politics have got nothing to do with taking the piss out of disabled children.

KPDX

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Anddddddd Sarah Palin just ate a sandwich. You are bizare on how obsessed you are. Almost creepy.

tommy767

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 50):
Family Guy is by no means a spokesperson for the "left". It's a freaking cartoon.

The creator is a real leftist but overall family prides itself on pop culture references and general ridiculousness. The Simpsons if anything has always been fronted with very liberal creators/voice artists.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

kappel

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:17 pm

I just saw the episode. There is nothing remotely offensive about it. In no way are they making fun of people with Down Syndrome. Like Chris said in the end "I thought people with Down Syndrome are different, but they're not". Before Palin shoots her mouth off, she should really take the time to know what's she's talking about. But I guess that's not her strong point (knowing what she's talking about).
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195