Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mirrodie
Topic Author

2010 Olympics So Far........

Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:01 am

Ok, so I am a huge fan of snowboarding, only been on the slopes twice and can't wait to start again next winter with my son :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That said, best so far was seeing Sean White in the Mens halfpipe. I was glad he clinched the gold on his first run
but still didnt hold out showing us the new move he worked on for 4 years.

I've enjoyed watching the women's half as well. I don't think I'd hit those tricks but I would love to do snowboard cross!! If I ever do go up a half pipe, I'd just go straight up in the air. But I'm a speed guy, so snowboard cross reflects my personality more. Damn shame seeing Jacobellis DQ out. Does anyone think she'll return?

Also been enjoying the skating. singles and pairs. I enjoy watching them try not to drop.

Any thoughts on it? favs? hates, disappointments, surprises? Any events that some are looking to?

I missed the curling but I know Scarlot Harlot was into that.. (by the way, what ever happened to her?) Actually, I bet you she's up there as it was up in her neck of the woods.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Elite

RE: 2010 Olympics So Far........

Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:26 am

Surprises? Canada nearly losing to Switzerland in hockey, only to be saved in a shootout by Sidney Crosby, 3-2. The Canadians were up 2-0 and the Swiss caught up to tie it. If the Swiss had won it in the shootout, that would have been insane.

LTU932

Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:40 am

After the huge disappointment in the downhill, Maria Riesch redeemed herself in the Super-Combi. Lots of Alpine Skiing (for me, the ultimate discipline in the Winter Olympics) is left though, plus I'm waiting for Ski Jumping on the big hill. Our chances of winning the Medal Rankings have finally increased again with our four gold medals (we just need that the US doesn't get more gold medals, so we can eventually re-take number 1 again).  

And as I said in the Hockey thread, I still expect that the usual suspects will win, even though Sweden and Canada had a hard time against Germany and Switzerland respectively.

In other news, in speed skating, Claudia Pechstein, recently sentenced to a 2 year ban for doping, has yet another request for a start in the Olympic Games rejected by the CAS. She's been trying to get a start at the Olympics despite her ban, and I hope this will make her finally shut up and retire.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Dreadnought

Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:44 am

Quoting mirrodie (Thread starter):
That said, best so far was seeing Sean White in the Mens halfpipe. I was glad he clinched the gold on his first run
but still didnt hold out showing us the new move he worked on for 4 years.

Sean is amazing. He was 6-8 feet higher in his jumps than anyone else, and did more complicated moves as well. Talk about a guy completely dominating a sport - anyone competing against him simply can't hope for anything better than 2nd place.

Quoting Elite (Reply 1):
Surprises? Canada nearly losing to Switzerland in hockey, only to be saved in a shootout by Sidney Crosby, 3-2. The Canadians were up 2-0 and the Swiss caught up to tie it. If the Swiss had won it in the shootout, that would have been insane.

There would have been a riot - especially after the US trashed the Swiss a couple of days ago 3-1.

Women's Downhill (that Vonn won) was interesting because of that last jump which sent half the girls sailing 200 feet in huge crashes. They apparently chopped that hill down that night for the Combined, so it's no longer as dangerous.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

elbandgeek

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:02 am

Best winter games I've seen in my life so far. (which includes everything back to albertville)

Shaun, Shani, Apolo, Lindsey, The US and Canadian hockey teams (which both include my favorite hawks players). All just amazing to watch.

And now we have Evan Lysacek. While I think I'll be losing my man card privlidges for awhile after getting that excited over men's figure skating, I really don't care cause that was one of the best routines I've seen in a long time. I'm also happy to see him get this far since he's local and actually used to train at the rink my sister did when she skated so my family got to see him there when he was 12.

aznmadsci

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:22 am

LOVE IT! All the nay-sayers have nothing else to do other than their love to complain. Vancouver is an amazing city and Team USA has done an amazing job! LOVE IT!!!!! Have to wonder how Salzburg or Pyongchang would have organized the games if they have won. Wish I was in Vancouver!
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

us330

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:41 pm

My main complaint about the 2010 Olympics isn't about the olympics, per say, but of NBC's coverage of it. NBC Universal owns/has access to five or six different channels, including a dedicated sports channel called Universal Sports--and they still can't manage to show a single alpine skiing event live? That's b.s. They can't seem to show enough curling, though! (No offense to those who like curling, but I don't find the sport particularly watchable and would much rather watch alpine skiing over it) It also drives me crazy when they go into bonus coverage on MSNBC for non-U.S. men's games, and then switch over to CNBC--which usually occurs in the second half of the first period, but it is not an immediate switch--meaning you have to wait through about five minutes of commercials before the game resumes.
Drives me crazy.

That said, I would much rather watch the Winter Olympics than the Summer Games, where the only sport that I actually find exciting to watch is the track and field coverage and occasional swim racing.

yooyoo

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm enjoying the Winter Olympics very much. Our TV coverage is great, 3 Canadian channels showing different events, plus NBC makes for good watching.

My biggest disapointment is the Snowboarding Halfpipe. Yes, it's amazing what they can do and i appreciate it, but i'm not too much into a judged sport and that includes figure skating et al and some of the boarders have their pants hanging down around their ass, listening to their ipods, jamming their boards in the camera for all to see their sponsor, it just turned me off so i turned it off. Ya, i know, it's a grumpy old man comment        

I do enjoy the snowboard cross and biatholon.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Aaron747

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:58 pm

So curling has been replayed for the last four hours on NHK. I just don't freakin' get it. How can anyone watch a rock being pushed by fully-clad women with brooms?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

racko

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:02 pm

The Canadian scenery, Magdalena Neuner and Lindsey Vonn sure look good in HD

[Edited 2010-02-19 06:06:06]

LTU932

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 6):
Universal owns/has access to five or six different channels, including a dedicated sports channel called Universal Sports--and they still can't manage to show a single alpine skiing event live?

Thank God I can watch those events live when I get back to Germany (though they may be at a very hostile time because of the time difference).Alpine skiing is one of the most important, if not THE most important Olympic discipline, and it certainly deserves more respect from NBC (then again, they don't show ANYTHING live)

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 8):
So curling has been replayed for the last four hours on NHK. I

CNBC has been showing nothing but Curling. Everytime they start their coverage, it's curling, maybe some hockey in the middle (and they'll only go to a hockey match already in progress if a curling game isn't over before the first face-off), and then they may mix some women hockey, followed by more curling.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Lufthansa411

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):
Thank God I can watch those events live when I get back to Germany (though they may be at a very hostile time because of the time difference).

The coverage over here has been excellent, at least from someone who was forced to watch NBC's coverage the last several olympic games. Its nice that in Germany, they try and show all the competitors for a sport, instead of just the favourites. It really shows the olympic spirit.

The times are a bit strange, especially the stuff during the evening in Vancouver means it is early morning here, but its not the worst. They also have a nice mix of sports. The first couple days were really heavy on the luge and biathlon, but now it seems to be more of the figure skating and hockey mixed in with everything else.
Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.

LTU932

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:21 pm

Quoting Lufthansa411 (Reply 11):
The coverage over here has been excellent, at least from someone who was forced to watch NBC's coverage the last several olympic games. Its nice that in Germany, they try and show all the competitors for a sport, instead of just the favourites. It really shows the olympic spirit.

I know. ARD and ZDF always try to show as much as possible Live. And two years ago, when NBC was blocked, there was an Argentinian cable channel that showed the Olympics all day and also, most of it Live. The only thing annoying about it was the constant interviews with other people, particularly Maradona duing Olympic Football.

EZEIZA

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:38 pm

The coverage here is very good with Directv, but the timing is awuful for me as everything is late at night. I have only managed to see few events and i am missing most of the action.
I enjoyed the snowboard action very much, although I have to admit there's something to it that doesn't fit with the olympics.. I'm not sure what it is, possibly it's the fact that they use jeans or the fact that snowboard seems more like the X games, but it was still great to see.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

johnboy

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:10 pm

I can't find too much to complain about.....the scenery is gorgeous and the competition has been top notch so far (especially figure skating).

My biggest bitch has to do with NBC coverage, especially time delays when i'm in the same exact time zone as Vancouver! Also....the big build-up in the rah-rah American "human interest" stories. Let me tell you, I got GREAT satisfaction when Jacobellis DQ'd in her big race, especially since NBC had been blowing smoke up her ass all week.

I'd like to see those type of stories from many more athletes from around the world, but I guess they feel the TV audience is too jingoistic to find inspiration in non-American athletes.  

Scooter01

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):
LTU932 From Mexico,
Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):
Our chances of winning the Medal Rankings

So, what is Mexico's greatest contribution to this year's game?   

CNBC has been showing nothing but Curling. Everytime they start their coverage, it's curling, maybe some hockey in the middle (and they'll only go to a hockey match already in progress if a curling game isn't over before the first face-off), and then they may mix some women hockey, followed by more curling.

-You must have selected the Fashion Television channel by mistake   

As the Games continue, may the best nation win!

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

Lufthansa411

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Quoting johnboy (Reply 14):
I'd like to see those type of stories from many more athletes from around the world, but I guess they feel the TV audience is too jingoistic to find inspiration in non-American athletes.  

The only time I really remember NBC doing a background story about a foreign athlete was during Beijing, when they did a story about Oksana Chusovitina, who first competed for the Soviet Union in the 80's then Uzbekistan in the 90's and early 00's and then finally for Germany during Beijing 2008. What made her story so amazing was that she moved to Germany because her son had leukaemia and needed treatment that was not available in Uzbekistan. With the help of one of her old gymnastics coaches from the Soviet Union who now resides in Köln, she moved her family over and became one of the oldest medalists in Olympic gymnastics, earning silver on vault.
Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.

LTU932

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 15):
So, what is Mexico's greatest contribution to this year's game?

Ignore the flag, I always meant Germany.  

The flag is only there because Mexico is the first new country in almost two decades that I'm visiting.  
Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 15):
You must have selected the Fashion Television channel by mistake

Are you saying that because of the hot Danish girls in skirts yesterday? 

L410Turbolet

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:31 pm

I remeber my disappointment from the NBC (?) coverage of the winter olympics back in 1994 during my high-school exchange stay back inthe stone age of the pre-internet era. No way they would show any coherent coverage of any thing not involving a US team. Not even ice hockey.

Anyway, imho the most impressive story of the Olympics so far was women's cross country sprint bronz medal for Petra Majdic from Slovenia. She managed to compete and finish third with 4 ribs broken and damaged lung, an injury sustained earlier during a warm-up (here comes the issue of safety of the facilities at Vancouver once again)

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic...-falling-star-majdic_282760In.html

canoecarrier

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 6):
My main complaint about the 2010 Olympics isn't about the olympics, per say, but of NBC's coverage of it.

I couldn't agree with you more. I can go to just about any news outlet, twitter, or the olympic website and get real time results from the games. Yet, yesterday I had to wait 10 hours after the event to watch Lindsey Vonn fall in the slalom on NBC and fell asleep before the men's figure skating was on.

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 7):
I'm enjoying the Winter Olympics very much. Our TV coverage is great, 3 Canadian channels showing different events, plus NBC makes for good watching.

I've watched every Olympics on the CBC for the past 10 years. Well, except this one. It's too bad for us that CTV isn't carried by most US cable outlets. Events are shown live all day long, and I get to see athletes from other countries. Something NBC doesn't do very well, if at all. Canadian coverage is generally far better than NBC.

CNBC has been showing nothing but Curling.

What's wrong with that? I love curling. What other time will you get to see three women yelling "Harder!".
The beatings will continue until morale improves

aznmadsci

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:39 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 18):
I remeber my disappointment from the NBC (?) coverage of the winter olympics back in 1994 during my high-school exchange stay back inthe stone age of the pre-internet era.

CBS was the network carrier for the 1994 Lillehammer Winter Olympics. NBC had rights to the Summer Olympics since Barcelona 1992, while CBS had rights to the Winter Olympics Albertville 1992, Lillehammer 1994, and Nagano 1998. From Salt Lake 2002 till London 2012, NBC holds those rights to show the games for both Winter and Summer.

yooyoo

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 19):
It's too bad for us that CTV isn't carried by most US cable outlets

We also have TSN and Sportsnet covering the winter Olympics but i have a feeling that they maybe owned by CTV.

I do have another grip. I really don't care about the in depth background information about the athletes. I don't need to know where they went to school and their fathers occupation. I just want to watch the sports and the more live coverage the better.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

AirframeAS

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:27 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 6):
My main complaint about the 2010 Olympics isn't about the olympics, per say, but of NBC's coverage of it. NBC Universal owns/has access to five or six different channels, including a dedicated sports channel called Universal Sports--and they still can't manage to show a single alpine skiing event live? That's b.s.

Well, after Vancouver, NBC's contract with the USOC expires. So who knows who will cover the Summer Games in 2012.

And on a side note, what is up with the gawd awful 2012 Olympic Games logo?!   
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

canoecarrier

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 22):
Well, after Vancouver, NBC's contract with the USOC expires. So who knows who will cover the Summer Games in 2012.

Not true. NBC has the broadcast rights for the 2012 games in London as well.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/07/sp...th-2-billion-bid.html?pagewanted=1

wingman

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:42 pm

My favorite moment so far was the Dutch 5000M Gold Medal winner's reaction to the NBC reporter asking him...

What's your name?

Where are you from?

And what did you just win?

His response..."are you stupid?"

Classic. While the Dutch do have to realize that speedskaters are not the likes of Elvis in this country, it does boggle the mind that a reporter would be so dimwitted to ask a just crowned gold medalist (in the actual venue no less!) the above questions.

NBC=No Basic Clue

petertenthije

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Quoting Wingman (Reply 24):
His response..."are you stupid?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE8r_CG8INg
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

northstardc4m

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 21):
We also have TSN and Sportsnet covering the winter Olympics but i have a feeling that they maybe owned by CTV.

CTVGlobemedia and Rogers as a special conglomerate entity are the olympic media group for Canada. TV, Print and Radio.

CTVGlobemedia own TSN (and CTV obviously)
Rogers Media own ROGERS Sportsnet
The Olympics are also being shown on APTN (no affiliation, special rights, aboriginal languages), OMNI 1/2/West (Rogers, Asian/other languages), RDS (CTV, French) and Versus (CTV, pka OLN, english)

Rogers FAN radio network is the official radio station of the games in Canada, some other Rogers' properties are broadcasting limited coverage.

CTV radio stations (CHUM, etc) are broadcasting limited coverage of certain events.
CTVNews Channel, CP24 and CityTV all have rights to broadcast of special interest events, but so far are only showing highlights

the Globe and Mail (CTVGlobemedia) and its affiliated newspapers are the official print media
Rogers Media is running official printing and flyers... special editions of several magazines also.

MuchMusic is running it own little event in Whistler, live bands, etc (CTV)
MTV Canada is providing some non-event coverage and "commentators" for main CTV coverage (CTV)

There ya go, the whole setup... of course most of Canada gets NBC as well...

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 21):
I do have another grip. I really don't care about the in depth background information about the athletes. I don't need to know where they went to school and their fathers occupation. I just want to watch the sports and the more live coverage the better.

But they are paying those announcers sooooo much to be on the air... they gotta talk about something... and its mostly on CTV itself, the events on TSN and Sportsnet are more to the point, less talky fill.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

vikkyvik

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:01 pm

Quoting mirrodie (Thread starter):
I missed the curling but I know Scarlot Harlot was into that.. (by the way, what ever happened to her?) Actually, I bet you she's up there as it was up in her neck of the woods

I actually thought of her as well - I've been watching curling whenever it's on and I have free time. I think it's my new favorite sport. It's literally the strangest sport I've ever seen.

So curling has been replayed for the last four hours on NHK. I just don't freakin' get it. How can anyone watch a rock being pushed by fully-clad women with brooms?

One of the British women was pretty good looking (though fully clothed)  
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Scooter01

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:08 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 19):
What's wrong with that? I love curling. What other time will you get to see three women yelling "Harder!".

I just watched the Denmark - China game.
My wife got embarassed and the kids had funny "questionmarks" in their faces...

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 17):
Are you saying that because of the hot Danish girls in skirts yesterday?

- I'm talking about the new Harlequin/Gingerbread style pants  

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

AirframeAS

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 23):
Not true.

I didn't know that. But.... it was set to expire after these games.... However, see below, the headline....

Quoting NYTimes (Reply website):
OLYMPICS; NBC's Olympic Run Is Extended to 2012 With $2 Billion Bid

Note the keyword: Extended

So originally it was set to expire after Vancouver originally. My guess is that the USOC couldn't or didn't put out bid proposals for the networks to bid on.....

Edit add: Note that the article in question was published in June 2003

[Edited 2010-02-19 12:10:41]

canoecarrier

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 29):
Note the keyword: Extended

So originally it was set to expire after Vancouver originally. My guess is that the USOC couldn't or didn't put out bid proposals for the networks to bid on.....

No what the article says is "NBC outbid offers made by the News Corporation's Fox network and by ABC and ESPN" and "winning a three-way auction for the United States media rights to the 2010 and 2012 Olympic Games with a record bid of $2 billion."

What does the year the article have anything to do with the accuracy of the content? The bidding in '03 was for US media rights for the 2010 and 2012 Olympic games. They say "extended" in the article because NBC has held the US broadcast rights since 1996.

Either way, I found a link today to stream eurosport's coverage. Much better than NBC.

Mexicana757

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:06 pm

Russia now protesting that they should have gotten the gold medal in men's figure skating. And Putin gets involved. http://ca.reuters.com/article/sports...pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

I saw the performance of both Lysacek and Plushenko, and the former had a better performance. Plushenko didn't have a good artistic performance as Lysacek. To me it looked sloppy. I wonder if they will also protest for not winning any medals in pairs figure skating.   

If this is how Russia is going to act and Putin making it political, I don't want to see how they will act when they host the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Kiwirob

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 9):
The Canadian scenery, Magdalena Neuner and Lindsey Vonn sure look good in HD.

Going HD just prior to the games was a great decision.

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 28):
I just watched the Denmark - China game.
My wife got embarrassed and the kids had funny "questionmarks" in their faces...

Good thing you weren't watching the Norwegian team, my wife is embarrassed by the pants.....

us330

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Yeah, I forgot to mention the whole let's ignore other non-American athletes unless there's a story behind them, they factor in to the medals, or they fall spectacularly.
I purposely avoid looking at all news and sports websites after about noon central time so I will be surprised by NBC's taped coverage. Just for grins, I decided to keep an eye on the clock to see how many actual downhill ski races we got to see during the women's downhill. Out of the forty or so minutes (including commercials) alotted to women's downhill skiing, a grand total of 12 minutes were the actual races themselves. When you realize that the average downhill race is between 1.5 and 2 minutes, that's only seven individual racers. Simply pathetic.

Let's also not forget the horrendous cross promotion with dreamworks and that stupid movie--they need to say "ad starts here"--when they start saying "did you know that [this sport] started a 1,000 years ago? well, dreamworks imagined how it looked during the viking era."

Its quite disappointing when you realize that the most amount of live coverage that any sport will get, besides hockey, is curling.

Also, Bob Costas needs to learn the art of "dead air"--he doesn't always have to be talking. I remember when they were showing the medal ceremony for Billoudeau, and as soon as the guy was announced, he started talking. I wanted him to shut up and let the moment speak for itself. Contrast that with Doc Emrick--the best broadcaster by a longshot--who stopped doing play by play for the last twenty seconds of Canada's win over Norway so we could hear how raucous the crowd was.

PHLBOS

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:35 pm

Quoting AznMadSci (Reply 20):
NBC had rights to the Summer Olympics since Barcelona 1992

Actually, they've had the broadcasting rights to the Summer Olympics since Seoul 1988. ABC last broadcasted the Olympics (w/Jim McKay) in 1988 for the winter games in Calgary and in 1984 for the summer games in LA.

[Edited 2010-02-19 15:44:35]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

OA412

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm glad that Evan Lysacek won cuz he's really hot. Oh and he's a good figure skater too.   

the big build-up in the rah-rah American "human interest" stories. Let me tell you, I got GREAT satisfaction when Jacobellis DQ'd in her big race, especially since NBC had been blowing smoke up her ass all week.

I agree, the jingoism gets very out of hand during the Olympics. Back when I was in school, I remember reading an article for one of my courses that dealt with just that and actually analyzed how much more air time US athletes receive from US broadcasts of the Olympic games than do athletes from other countries.

Quoting Wingman (Reply 24):

Nice. What a dumbass of a reporter.

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 25):

Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Aaron747

Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:10 am

Quoting US330 (Reply 33):
When you realize that the average downhill race is between 1.5 and 2 minutes, that's only seven individual racers. Simply pathetic.

Jeez that's just unacceptable. On the NHK HD feeds, there's usually 50 minutes' straight coverage with a 10 minute break for commercials and news headlines on the hour. I guess this is one of the few times J-television is actually decent.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

aznmadsci

Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:05 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 34):
Actually, they've had the broadcasting rights to the Summer Olympics since Seoul 1988.

Thanks for the clarification. I was not sure about who broadcasted the Seoul games, but do remember ABC doing Calgary 88.

mirrodie
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:59 am

Quoting ElBandGeek (Reply 4):
While I think I'll be losing my man card privlidges for awhile after getting that excited over men's figure skatin

It's tough not to get excited about any of the games except maybe for curling   (Kidding. I have not seen a game yet.:D) Seriously, its the best of the best, very cool to see.

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 31):
I saw the performance of both Lysacek and Plushenko, and the former had a better performance. Plushenko didn't have a good artistic performance as Lysacek. To me it looked sloppy.

Hey, look, I don't know a triple lutz from a 1260 Mctwist. Seriously, their mid air body tricks are too quick for me to even tell how many turns they are doing! That said, I have a completely untrained eye in viewing skating....and it looked like the russian's turns all seemed off axis. When he was in the air, he looked like a spinning top that was teetering off to one side. When will he learn, its not whats in your bag of tricks, its what you do with it.

Too bad. The Russian's comments take away from the very sportsmanship that personifies the Olympic spirit.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

dc9northwest

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:08 am

Quoting US330 (Reply 6):
My main complaint about the 2010 Olympics isn't about the olympics, per say, but of NBC's coverage of it. NBC Universal owns/has access to five or six different channels, including a dedicated sports channel called Universal Sports--and they still can't manage to show a single alpine skiing event live? That's b.s. They can't seem to show enough curling, though! (No offense to those who like curling, but I don't find the sport particularly watchable and would much rather watch alpine skiing over it) It also drives me crazy when they go into bonus coverage on MSNBC for non-U.S. men's games, and then switch over to CNBC--which usually occurs in the second half of the first period, but it is not an immediate switch--meaning you have to wait through about five minutes of commercials before the game resumes.
Drives me crazy.
(then again, they don't show ANYTHING live)

I only remember seeing men's sprint in biathlon live and some figure skating... About one-third of the competition, that is... commercials and other tapings otherwise.

Its nice that in Germany, they try and show all the competitors for a sport, instead of just the favourites. It really shows the olympic spirit.

Yup, and this is how it should be (and is in most countries). I got tired of all the American horror stories--though they did show Aksel Lund Svindal's story--but probably just because he won.

My biggest bitch has to do with NBC coverage, especially time delays when i'm in the same exact time zone as Vancouver! Also....the big build-up in the rah-rah American "human interest" stories. Let me tell you, I got GREAT satisfaction when Jacobellis DQ'd in her big race, especially since NBC had been blowing smoke up her ass all week.

I agree. Jacobellis, aka "Two-Time Failure", was hyped to death by the network, and it was shown that she is not the best there, clearly at that.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 18):
I remeber my disappointment from the NBC (?) coverage of the winter olympics back in 1994 during my high-school exchange stay back inthe stone age of the pre-internet era. No way they would show any coherent coverage of any thing not involving a US team. Not even ice hockey.

I'm pretty sure every country with a moderate interest for the games has better coverage than NBC. Which is truly amazing.

Guys, you all said what I was going to say. NBC ruined these Olympic games for me. It really makes not want to root for American sportsmen in these games--which is a shame, 'cause I like Shaun White and some others...

But this is the kind of broadcasting I would have expected from Soviet Russia, not the USA (only showing their own athletes and medallists, rather than all participants)... And hell, you can't even show a live event... What is this, 1960?

I can't even call it a competition with this coverage--it always seems to be six people (at most) in the running when NBC shows anything. It's boring, boring as hell. Then again, what did I expect..?

wingman

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:21 am

Slightly off thread trending, what is it about curling that suddenly has me thinking this is the COOLEST sport in the Winter Olympics??? I'm in the middle of the Women's game between Denmark and Canada and this sport is insane. It's like a combination of snooker, Bocci and Petanca! And all these little hotties gliding down the ice yelling out strict commands like "even harder, even harder"! Good lord, time for beddie bye for this old man. I wish I could stay up past 10 PM PST.

evomutant

Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Quoting Wingman (Reply 40):
Slightly off thread trending, what is it about curling that suddenly has me thinking this is the COOLEST sport in the Winter Olympics???

Athletes that look like this don't hurt...

windy95

Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:48 pm

Yaaawwwn..........   

The old Days of the USA vs USSR had much more excitement to the Games. The adding of more competitions and the adding of pros has just watered down what used to be a great event..

us330

Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:08 pm

BTW, criticism of NBC's coverage is all over the internet--and NBC, as usual, is blowing it off to a "small disgruntled minority."
Again, it boggles the mind that plenty of Americans are out of work, and Jeff Zucker isn't among them.

Bongodog1964

Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:27 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 27):

One of the British women was pretty good looking (though fully clothed)

Two of them appear to be photogenic.

Of course it helps that Curling appears to be the only Olympic sport where the ladies wear full make up.

Have to say the loud screaming could be a bit offputting at a close proximity.

yyzala

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 31):

I watching the interview of Lysacek on NBC and when they asked him if he was to appear at the 2014 Sochi games, he said maybe and jokingly added they might not even let him into the country. This is sooo true if Russia decides to play the political mind games. Regardless, both athletes were amazing but Lysacek truly deserved goal. Sure he didn't do the quad jump, but all his jumps were PERFECT. Plushekno on the other hand could have came out on top, but a few of his landings were wobbly, thus deserving silver. The judging was very fair in my opinion.

FighterPilot

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Quoting Wingman (Reply 40):
Slightly off thread trending, what is it about curling that suddenly has me thinking this is the COOLEST sport in the Winter Olympics??? I'm in the middle of the Women's game between Denmark and Canada and this sport is insane. It's like a combination of snooker, Bocci and Petanca! And all these little hotties gliding down the ice yelling out strict commands like "even harder, even harder"! Good lord, time for beddie bye for this old man. I wish I could stay up past 10 PM PST.

Sault Ste. Marie recently hosted the Scotties Tournament of Hearts (The big woman's curling bonspeil in Canada). There were teams from all across Canada. Let me tell you.... Wow some of those girls can curl   I bumped into some of them at the local watering holes, some of those girls are smoking hot. 

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

canoecarrier

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 43):
BTW, criticism of NBC's coverage is all over the internet--and NBC, as usual, is blowing it off to a "small disgruntled minority."

Nothing's going to change with NBC unfortunately. They have the 2012 Olympic rights here in the US. Our best bet of getting decent coverage is to petition our local cable/satellite providers to add CTV to the expanded cable package. Or, get another country's coverage like Eurosport.

AirframeAS

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 46):

I know this has nothing to contribute to the topic but I have to point out... the one on the right in that pic...   

Kiwirob

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:40 pm

5 golds for Norway so far, pretty good for a little country.