Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CometII
Topic Author

Is South Africa Ready For WC 2010? No

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:50 am

So says this guy:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...reparations-fifa-johannesburg.html

"We couldn't play the World Cup because Soccer City isn't ready," said FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke on Tuesday. "At this stage, we have 700,000 tickets still to sell, at this stage I can make a list of things that aren't ready for the World Cup

Thoughts?

bps3458

RE: Is South Africa Ready For WC 2010? No

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:13 am

I think this tournament will be a nightmare and the event should have never been awarded to South Africa in the first place. Do hope that the event will be held without any major incidents and that we will see some great games.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

thegreatRDU

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:15 am

If it were to be held there...the question would not be will world cup spectators fall victim to the high crime rate but how many....

Alias1024

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:23 am

I think they will be ready. They have until June to get the stadium ready and logistics worked out. It seems to me that the toughest challenge is selling the remaining tickets. Many have been discouraged from attending because of the price gouging from hotels. Others due to high air fares. South Africa's a long way from most of the nations that are participating in the tournament.

TheCol

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:41 am

The ticket prices are outrageous. I doubt they'll sell even half of those by June.

kappel

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Quoting TheCol (Reply 4):
The ticket prices are outrageous. I doubt they'll sell even half of those by June.

I heard on the radio yesterday that they cut prices by 30% to stimulate demand. Hope it helps.

AirPacific747

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:43 pm

Quoting bps3458 (Reply 1):

Well I think it is good for Africa that they get the opportunity to show that they are able to host such an event as well, but the outcome remains to be seen.

Carlisle

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:06 pm

Why was South Africa awarded the WC in the first place?

Jeremy

L410Turbolet

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Quoting thegreatRDU (Reply 2):
.the question would not be will world cup spectators fall victim to the high crime rate but how many...

It would not be such a big deal if the crime wasn't so violent one.
Super-successful 1992 Olympics were held in Barcelona, the unofficial pickpocketing capital of Europe, and it did not seem to be a major issue or concern.

AM744

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Quoting Carlisle (Reply 7):

FIFA used to have a continental rotation policy so the 2010 WC was to be held in Africa no matter what. The pool of applicants was really small so SA got it. The policy has been dropped since.

Sabena332

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Quoting TheCol (Reply 4):

Not only the ticket prices are outrageous, the hotel room and apartment prices as well. The German TV station ARD is reporting that hotels and apartments charge up to 1000% (yes, thousand!!!) more for a room or apartment during the World Cup. Daniela Wurbs coordinator of Football Supporters Europe said: "The South Africans have a complete wrong imagination what Europeans can afford. Article (in German) here.

I think this tournament will be a nightmare and the event should have never been awarded to South Africa in the first place.

I also fear that this will be the worst World Cup ever.   We will see half empty stadiums without the usual World Cup atmosphere. According to this article has the DFB only sold 1916 tickets for all three (!!!) preliminary round games of the German team.

The FIFA should have picked a country that has experience with hosting such an event!

Patrick

Kiwirob

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:16 pm

If you think the 2010 FWC is going to be a cockup just wait until the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, why award a winter games to a city that doesn't get any snow, this season they've had bugger all, same as every other season, what a joke.

Derico

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm

As long as the venues where Brazil and Argentina play are ready, then it will be fine. Ask South Africans themselves. Those teams are the only ones that sold out their tickets in a hurry, and as it happens in every world cup. The other 30 teams are filling.

I think crime will magically drop and things will go fine in South Africa.

evomutant

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

They hosted the Cricket World Cup in 2003, and that passed off hitch free. They hosted the British Lions Rugby team last year (who take many thousands of fans with them) and I don't recall anything more than isolated incidents of crime. Granted the Soccer World cup is a far bigger event than both those two, but the worries about massive crime are probably overstated.

Infrastructure on the other hand...

fatmirjusufi

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Holy crap and I was planing to get a 32" LCD TV just for this WC2010 
Just kidding.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 10):
I also fear that this will be the worst World Cup ever.

So far, none of the host countries organized what Germany did in 2006. Anything went flawless with some MINOR incidents. A year ago, I guess, I have heard a rumor saying Germany will be 'plan B' if South Africa fails! Nothing happened and it looks like WC it is going really to be held there. Despite the fact, that is a major event we do not want to hear that something similar happened like in Angola!

Let's be optimistic, joining this show in reality or virtually and eating potato chips while the match is played. 

LTU932

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm

Officially, it's for the below reason:

Quoting AM744 (Reply 9):
FIFA used to have a continental rotation policy so the 2010 WC was to be held in Africa no matter what. The pool of applicants was really small so SA got it. The policy has been dropped since.

Unofficially, RSA only got the World Cup because this way, Joseph "Septic" Blatter has secured his re-election as FIFA boss.

According to this article has the DFB only sold 1916 tickets for all three (!!!) preliminary round games of the German team.

I recall that many fans don't want to go, mostly for security reasons.

The FIFA should have picked a country that has experience with hosting such an event!

But in the end, what Blatter does is politics. With his politics, he got what he wanted, another term as FIFA president in exchange for a World Cup in a country that is better known for the Springboks in Rugby-Union than the Bafana-Bafana in football.

Quoting evomutant (Reply 13):
They hosted the Cricket World Cup in 2003, and that passed off hitch free. They hosted the British Lions Rugby team last year (who take many thousands of fans with them) and I don't recall anything more than isolated incidents of crime.

Cricket and Rugby aren't as global as football is. Football not only brings people together, at one point it even started a war between Honduras and El Salvador a long time ago. The point being is that there's no other sport with as much exposure and effect on people as football is. For an event as big as the Football World Cup, not only do you need to ensure that hooligans don't start riots or even attack opposing fans, you also need to ensure the safety of the players and the fans.

Remember what happened during the Africa Cup in Angola, where neither CAF nor FIFA did anything significant to improve safety after the terrorist attack on Togo's team (and in fact, Togo has been punished for withdrawing for reasons of force majeure). The same concerns also existed during the U17 World Cup in Nigeria, where we have to send people who are still teenagers, basically still children to a rather dangerous part of the World. Bottom line, while there are many African teams that can be considered powerhouses of football (e.g. Ghana, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, etc.), Africa is no place to host an event as big as the Football World Cup, at least until the security and political issues that plague vast parts of the continent aren't resolved. Events organised by e.g. the ICC and IRB don't have nearly the same magnitude in terms of fans and globallity of the event.

SA006

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Oh trust me this country will be ready. The country has been changing every day as it draws closer. And living in Gauteng (Johannesburg), which is basically the epicentre of the world cup with 3 stadiums, i can see first hand how this country is gearing up. The tickets will be sold, eventually. Its the biggest sporting event in the world, one way or another the tickets will be sold   .

And one more thing, why the negativity? South Africa is still a 3rd world country. Be optimistic people. Thumbs up for SA 2010!

-SA006

sw733

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 pm

I think this tournament will be a nightmare

They said that about Athens for the 2004 Olympics...guess what, went off without a hitch. This will too. Have you been to South Africa recently to see any of the construction? I have and it looks just fine.

Why not?

Quoting SA006 (Reply 16):
why the negativity?

Beacuse, SA006, Africa can't do much right... 

EPA001

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:12 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 15):
According to this article has the DFB only sold 1916 tickets for all three (!!!) preliminary round games of the German team.

I recall that many fans don't want to go, mostly for security reasons.

But the distance to travel for many of the fans is far, thus quite expensive. The security element only adds to the fact that many tickets are not sold yet. A WC organized in densely populated areas is therefore financial a lot lesser risk. The WC 2006 was perfect with Germany being surrounded by so many football fans in neighbouring countries.  

A link to aviation: Is SAA selling more airplane tickets due to the WC or are foreign carriers profiting more from this WC-2010?

[Edited 2010-02-24 11:15:17]

sw733

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:17 pm

Quoting EPA001 (Reply 18):
But the distance to travel for amny of the fans is far, thus quite expensive

This is the big issue. None of South Africa's bordering countries are in the tournament...the closest is Cameroon, still requiring a lengthy flight. I do believe a northern African destination would have been more appealing to many football fans...say Egypt, Tunisia or Morocco.

Sabena332

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:53 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 19):
I do believe a northern African destination would have been more appealing to many football fans...say Egypt, Tunisia or Morocco.

I don't think that it is a good idea to make a Muslim country the host of a World Cup. There is way too much alcohol involved and fans are usually walking drunk through the city while being pretty loud before and after games. That is something that the people in Muslim countries don't like, when you are drinking alcohol there, you do it discretly in hotel bars or at home, being drunk in public is a big no-no there.

Patrick

sw733

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 20):
I don't think that it is a good idea to make a Muslim country the host of a World Cup. There is way too much alcohol involved and fans are usually walking drunk through the city while being pretty loud before and after games. That is something that the people in Muslim countries don't like, when you are drinking alcohol there, you do it discretly in hotel bars or at home, being drunk in public is a big no-no there.

Good point.

Derico

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:14 pm

I actually would argue Europeans can afford to travel if they want to see their teams. So if tickets are not selling in South Africa is partly because Europeans have some reservations, about making those reservations... if I may say!

thegreatRDU

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Quoting derico (Reply 12):
I think crime will magically drop and things will go fine in South Africa.

What gives you that notion...

And one more thing, why the negativity? South Africa is still a 3rd world country

You said it yourself...

Derico

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Quoting thegreatRDU (Reply 23):
What gives you that notion...

That I have seen this story before: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Colombia Copa America 2001... nothing happened safety wise.

In fact, I hate to bring this up, the worst incidents in Olympic history for example, ocurred in Munich and Atlanta, which stained forever the image of those olympic games.

Sabena332

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:34 pm

Quoting derico (Reply 22):
I actually would argue Europeans can afford to travel if they want to see their teams.

You are wrong. Here is an example: When you want an "All-Inclusive package" (flights, hotels, stadium-tickets) for the three preliminary round games of the German team, you have to pay approx. 5.000 EUR! Of course can you lower the price a bit by organizing everything on your own but I think that you have to pay at least 4.000 EUR to see these aforementioned three games. I will no even think about the costs when you want to see more games.

Patrick

Derico

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:38 pm

I know it's expensive Sabena, but by the same measure why should non-Europeans always have to pay for such prices?   

Can't always have the WC in or near Europe. Share the pain a bit.  

Springbok747

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Geez...look at all the negativity here...

SA has hosted many successful sports (especially cricket) tournaments over the years. They have all gone smoothly. Yes..soccer is much much bigger than cricket, but its the same sorta thing. They also hosted the IPL last year (cricket) after it was moved from India due to security concerns, the tournament went off well. SA can host events. They will be ready in time. I think it will be a grand event. Just you watch.

You said it yourself...

Have you ever been to South Africa? Have you seen the infrastructure for yourself? Why are you assuming it to be 'just another third world country' in Africa..? South Africa is nothing like the Africa you see on TV.

Sabena332

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Quoting derico (Reply 26):
Can't always have the WC in or near Europe.

I didn't say that it must be in Europe or near Europe. Mexico 86 was the first World Cup I experienced and it was fantastic, big and full stadiums, great atmosphere and thrilling games, all that swapped over to Germany via the media!

I am already looking forward to Brazil in 2014, I am sure that the whole country will go mad because 95% of the people there are football fanatics. WHy should I fly to South Africa when you hear such bad news in advance? I rather fly to Brazil in four years to pay less and to have an even better experience!

why should non-Europeans always have to pay for such prices?

I agree, see my post above! I must say that it was very impressive to see a couple of Aeromexico 772s on various airports here in Germany during the World Cup. I never thought that Mexicans are that football crazy.

Patrick

LTU932

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 20):
I don't think that it is a good idea to make a Muslim country the host of a World Cup.

Well, there is the push to host more events in the Middle East (e.g. the Club World Cup in Dubai). In these cases, reason and common sense will have to yield to the almighty buck. At most, you could organise a World Cup in Turkey. It's not only a football fanatic country, but also secular, so the thing with religion and alcohol is a non-issue (at least officially).

Quoting derico (Reply 22):
I actually would argue Europeans can afford to travel if they want to see their teams.

You know that these packages are pretty damn expensive, but as said above, not only can only few people afford this, there's also lots to be said about distance (which increases costs). Even a World Cup in Brazil will turn pretty expensive due to the prices of the flights and for many others the distance needed to travel to South America, and I'm sure airlines will offer rip-off fares due to the high demand. And then, there's FIFA's rip-off prices for the match tickets themselves. The fact that Blatter had prices lowered right now is simply because right now, nobody wants to fly down there.

Can't always have the WC in or near Europe.

What about a World Cup in Australia, or in New Zealand (which would be in the middle of the Souther Winter)?  

bps3458

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 17):
They said that about Athens for the 2004 Olympics

Mate, Athens 2004 was a nightmare. I spent months prior to the Athens Games in Greece organising the logistics for the USOC as well as major US companies such as NBC. Can tell you story after story about the screw-ups and nightmares my colleagues and I faced each and every day. On TV all looked good but remember they only show what the viewer is supposed to see (full stadiums, perfect settings, etc.). Athens did not even come close to the Sydney 2000 and I am afraid SA 2010 will not be ready to host an event of this magnitude.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

sw733

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:16 am

Quoting bps3458 (Reply 30):
Mate, Athens 2004 was a nightmare

South Africa will not be Germany 2006, that's for sure. That's just not South Africa. It may be a nightmare for behind the scenes people...but better it be a nightmare for them than the people attending. What I meant is that it went out without a hitch for those people who attended...that is who the event is catered for, and that is where it matters.

To be honest, having been to Brazil many times, I do not see 2014 World Cup or 2016 Olympics being terribly well put together either...

Lufthansa411

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:25 am

Quoting Kappel (Reply 5):
I heard on the radio yesterday that they cut prices by 30% to stimulate demand. Hope it helps.

The problem that I see is that FIFA has been really greedy up to this point, and now they are going to have to pay the price.

When Germany hosted, if there were tickets that went at a discount other European nationals figured that they could go to a match without breaking the bank, even if it meant driving from Lyon to FRA and back in 24 hours. Or, a very least, it meant that German nationals that only had the money to see 1 match might have been able to see 2. I would imagine there was a fair amount of spontaneity and last minute decisions.

98% of Europeans will not be able to do the same thing with South Africa. They are not going to be able to hop in a car and go to a match last minute, nevermind flying to the other side of the world. Plus, the southern part of africa does not exactly have a population density or disposable income to draw from the way the average European does.

On a more positive note, no matter how many people are in the stands, I know the games will be a success!

Derico

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:19 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 29):
What about a World Cup in Australia, or in New Zealand (which would be in the middle of the Souther Winter)?

It would have been as well this go around, for the time zone problem would have not been as bad. By that I mean I have little interest in watching this world cup, not because of South Africa, but everyone can probably guess why.

It seems that there is a diametrical resonance effect where a larger number of Argentine players seem to be scoring more goals than ever in important European games, and play worse for their national team. Quite honestly, it makes me ill and really has turned me off from football.

SA006

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:12 am

And one more thing, why the negativity? South Africa is still a 3rd world country

You said it yourself...

Your point? We are third world, does this necessarily mean that something like the FIFA World Cup cannot be hosted succesfully?

TIA

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Quoting Kappel (Reply 5):

As someone who ponied up the money for six games when the tickets first went on sale, this really annoys me. If they do this for new sales, they should refund me some of the money as well.

Not only the ticket prices are outrageous, the hotel room and apartment prices as well. The German TV station ARD is reporting that hotels and apartments charge up to 1000% (yes, thousand!!!) more for a room or apartment during the World Cup.

Quite true. I'm paying a fortune for a sh!tty shared apartment for the 1.5 weeks that I will be in Jo'burg. And another big cost for South Africa that hasn't been mentioned yet is the cost of the rental car. In Germany in 2006, fans could rely on public transportation. In South Africa you have to rent a car.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 28):
I rather fly to Brazil in four years to pay less and to have an even better experience!

How do you know it will be cheaper in Brazil? If anything it will be more expensive, although the atmosphere will undoubtedly better.

LTU932

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Quoting TIA (Reply 35):
In Germany in 2006, fans could rely on public transportation. In South Africa you have to rent a car.

It seems that in the end, South Africa completely neglected the public transportation issue. Some time ago, there was discussion about that, where it was mentioned that there were problems implementing the required plan to improve public transportation for the World Cup. I guess FIFA turned a blind eye on it, and only focussed on having RSA finish construction of all stadiums.

Sabena332

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Quoting TIA (Reply 35):
How do you know it will be cheaper in Brazil?

Somehow I doubt that they will also add up to 1000% on hotel rooms and apartments. But who knows?

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 36):
Some time ago, there was discussion about that, where it was mentioned that there were problems implementing the required plan to improve public transportation for the World Cup.

Yes, I remember that.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 36):
I guess FIFA turned a blind eye on it

I guess the same. And when you believe Blatter, then everything is perfectly organized.

Patrick

thegreatRDU

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:48 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 27):
Have you ever been to South Africa? Have you seen the infrastructure for yourself? Why are you assuming it to be 'just another third world country' in Africa..? South Africa is nothing like the Africa you see on TV.

I've been up and down Africa Johannesburg to Rabat...I'm not worried about the infrastructure....it's among the best in Africa....I didn't bring up infrastructure...what I'm worried about is the rampant crime and the price gouging...

Quoting SA006 (Reply 34):
Your point? We are third world, does this necessarily mean that something like the FIFA World Cup cannot be hosted succesfully?

It will be no easy feat...that's for sure..

PPVRA

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:01 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 31):
To be honest, having been to Brazil many times, I do not see 2014 World Cup or 2016 Olympics being terribly well put together either...

Can't blame you for thinking that, but remember we throw a big party every year and have had some experience with the pan-american games in 2007.

With that said, at least airport-wise, our infrastructure is vastly under-invested and it doesn't look like any significant improvements will be ready by 2014. It's gonna be a nightmare to move into and around the country.

andz

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:10 am

Quoting CometII (Thread starter):
We couldn't play the World Cup because Soccer City isn't ready," said FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke on Tuesday.

wow, three days later....

http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthA...02-2010-07-12/Soccer_City_complete

AutothrustBlue

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:21 am

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 14):
So far, none of the host countries organized what Germany did in 2006

2006 left a very good impression on me personally, and it will be tough for SA to top Germany. Only time will tell, but I have faith that SA can deliver.

Regards

thegreatRDU

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:38 am

Check this out

Zuma promises safe World Cup in South Africa
http://www.zeenews.com/news608747.html
London
: South African President Jacob Zuma sought to allay concerns about security at the 2010 World Cup, saying crime had already been cut and visitors would be protected.

"The fact is we have brought down crime already. We are therefore very confident on this. And when we say we are ready now for the World Cup, we include security in that," Zuma said during his state visit to Britain.

"We are ready to protect those who come. If there are those who are sceptical or feel concern, they must know this matter has been addressed.”

"They will come to South Africa safely and leave safer," he added.

Zuma spoke after visiting Wembley Stadium, the home of English football, where he met officials involved in England's bid to stage the 2018 World Cup.

All 10 stadiums hosting matches in South Africa have virtually been completed, with only two yet to hold games to test the facilities.

Zuma brushed aside concerns about the progress of construction of stadia and training facilities and insisted his nation was on track to complete its preparations before the first World Cup held in Africa kicks off on June 11.

"At the beginning many people said it would be very difficult for South Africa to host the competition," he said.

"For the last six years we have worked very hard to ensure we are able to welcome the world to South Africa.”

"We can say now without fear of contradiction that we are ready, if not more than ready, to receive those who come to South Africa.”

"We've finished some of the stadia four months ahead of schedule. At the beginning people were asking if we'd manage to finish them.”

"We've proved we are ready and we are hosting this on behalf of Africa."

EZEIZA

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:03 pm

With that mentality, then we would never see new countries hosting any major event in the first place. Every country needs to have a first go at these events in order to get the experience.

Quoting EPA001 (Reply 18):

But the distance to travel for many of the fans is far, thus quite expensive

correct. Many Europeans attended 2006 so they probably won't want to spend so much this time, and probably save up for the next long trip in 2014

Quoting derico (Reply 24):
Colombia Copa America 2001

great example! I remember the concerns back then ... Argentina even withdrew from competing! And NOTHING happened

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 28):
I am already looking forward to Brazil in 2014, I am sure that the whole country will go mad because 95% of the people there are football fanatics

and crime is not a concern in Brazil?  

I think that Brazil 2014 and SA 2010 will both be great WC's, both in the football per se as well as for the crowds. Is there some security risks? Sure, like in every place on earth where large crowds gather, there will be those tempted top steal wallets, but that's about it.

Derico

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 43):
great example! I remember the concerns back then ... Argentina even withdrew from competing! And NOTHING happened

Yes, but unfortunately in that case Argentina and only Argentina received a specific threat. I had no doubts that Colombia would be OK overall, but in this situation it was a targeted threat against one team so it's different. I personally think it was likely a prank or some smart guy trying to scare the players (Argentina then under Biesa was the best team in the world), but it's hard to judge AFA's decision of not going based on what was known at the time.

EZEIZA

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 44):
I personally think it was likely a prank or some smart guy trying to scare the players

I agree. btw, I don't remember if Argentina was the only one to not go or was there other teams that withdrew as well?

bhill

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Too damn far....in both time and distance....imagine the jet lag fro the US...

sw733

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Quoting bhill (Reply 46):
imagine the jet lag fro the US...

Must say I have flown US to Africa at least 40 times and really have never had jet lag. Tiredness from not sleeping on the plane, yes, but it is no different than going to Europe. South Africa is the same time zone as Helsinki, Istanbul, Athens, Bucharest, and even Cairo.

[Edited 2010-03-10 13:26:29]