Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

greasespot
Topic Author

My New 2010 Hyundai Tucson

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Well as much as I wanted A Genesis I bought a new 2010 Tuscon, And no you do not get to help me pick the color. I went with the red one.

I love the new restyling of this years model. Sot of upped the Hyundai class.

I get it Tuesday.

I bought the AWD model but skipped the navigation option

GS

Note: I took the 3.8 GT Genesis out for a drive. This is actually an amazing car. 308Hp with flappy paddle shifters(Top gear term) and all for 36K. I had a Tiburon before and loved it. This is a whole new class of car. But I have a Motorbike that gives me my speed kicks.

Seems that Hyundai has really stepped up the class of their cars in the last few years. the dealership was full of new models that are amazing.

Not a great pic of my exact one but shows the color

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

ACDC8

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Congrats!   How much did it knock you back? A co-worker is looking at one of the new Santa Fe's.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

greasespot
Topic Author

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:25 pm

A little over 30K including all taxes and extra's

gs
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

ACDC8

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:38 pm

Quoting greasespot (Reply 2):

Ouch ... more than I'm planning on spending ... but congrats anyways  

Ken777

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Congrats!

I've been looking at cars for a couple of years now - got a '03 Mazda MX-3 that keeps acting like it'll die, but it doesn't.

From what I see the Hyundai and Kia companies are both in the same position that the Japanese car makers were in during the 70s and 80s. The cars from Japan are now too expensive for many and the Korean cars are filling a large need very well.

ABQ747

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:42 pm

30K for a Hyundai!?!?!? Crazy.

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:52 pm

Hyundai is the 5th largest auto maker in the world, they will only get bigger and better, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't start a premuim brand like Lexus sometime soon.

ACDC8

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:55 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 5):
The cars from Japan are now too expensive for many and the Korean cars are filling a large need very well.

Was just looking at Hyundai Canada's website, $14000 for a very base Accent? Not very cheap if you ask me. While Hyundai's image and I'm sure quality is going upscale, their prices are too.

lowrider

Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:37 am

Quoting greasespot (Thread starter):

I would love to hear how this handles in the snow. Eventually I won't be able to keep my car limping along, and will have to look at something built in the current century. I have had my eye on Hyundai ever since I rented an Elantra and was favorably impressed.
Proud OOTSK member

greasespot
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Well I went from a base model 2005 Kia RIO that was all worn out to the Tucson. Needless to say the difference is staggering.

Plus being a brand new car(style wise) it is kind of cool that people stare at it.

As for how it is in the snow will probably have to wait until next week. We have none here now and it will be 16C here.

I picked it up with 12 KM and now have 56Km on it. So I can report 44 trouble free Km...
GS

I love this car. But is it a car or is it a SUV or is it a cross over. Oh what to call it.

dl021

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Congratulations on your new car! Hyundai has come a long way in the last 10 years or so, and I'm certain you'll enjoy that car. It's priced right for all the features you get, and the warrantly alone will ensure peace of mind. Thanks for supporting US/North American industry and jobs...the people of Alabama and west Georgia in particular are appreciative.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

planespotting

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 6):

Well, to be fair, he did get the AWD model, which probably tacks about five grand onto the price.

I bought a 2009 Sonata last year and it's awesome. I'm really happy with it, and it knocks the socks off my fiancee's 2008 Saturn Aura. In a few years, we'll probably trade in her car for either a Ford Edge or a Hyundai Tucson/Sante Fe, depending on our needs and financial situation.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

vikkyvik

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Corrected for you:

Quoting planespotting (Reply 12):
She did get the AWD model

Far as I've heard, Hyundai has indeed stepped up their product in recent years.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

lowrider

RE: My New 2010 Hyundai Tucson

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Quoting greasespot (Reply 9):
As for how it is in the snow will probably have to wait until next week. We have none here now and it will be 16C here

I apprecaite any feedback you can give. I would much rather hear from actual owners vs. car magazines.
Proud OOTSK member

ACDC8

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:57 am

As for how it is in the snow will probably have to wait until next week. We have none here now and it will be 16C here.

Look at it this way, at least you don't have to worry about any rock chips for almost a whole year then  

LOT767-300ER

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:23 am

Congrats on the purchase. The best thing about a new car is the smell of it.

Quoting lowrider (Reply 8):
I would love to hear how this handles in the snow. Eventually I won't be able to keep my car limping along, and will have to look at something built in the current century

That AWD isnt worth jack s*** in any Hyundai including that Tucson, and what it actually is is a quasi-4WD system. Its just a multi plate clutch ECC that only does 50/50 torque split w/no low. A very crappy Jeep Patriot has a better drivetrain with the FDII which basically is the same thing as the Tucson but it adds 19:1 low range.

Reactive AWD systems like this one are what they are, better than RWD/FWD but much worse than a good torque vectoring AWD and much much worse than a torque vectoring 4x4 with low range or fully locked front and rear 4x4.

I love this car. But is it a car or is it a SUV or is it a cross over. Oh what to call it.

Its a compact crossover. SUVs are quasi-unibody or body on frame with solid axles, at best you have Quasi-SUVs like the 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee that has a rear solid axle and a IFS up front.

Quoting dl021 (Reply 10):
Thanks for supporting US/North American industry and jobs...the people of Alabama and west Georgia in particular are appreciative.

The hell you talking about? They dont make the Tucson in the US/North America and Hyundai is not from the US/North America.

Flighty

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:30 am

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 5):

Hyundai builds some of the finest cars in the world today. Crazy. But still true

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 6):
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't start a premuim brand like Lexus sometime soon.

They won't. The thing is that Hyundai will go head to head with Mercedes Benz, Audi and Toyota / Lexus. They have the engineering talent in their hands to do that. So, they will do it. Remember the effortless power to succeed that Toyota had in 1993... That will be Hyundai in 2011. Whatever they want, is theirs.

N801NW

Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 16):
They won't. The thing is that Hyundai will go head to head with Mercedes Benz, Audi and Toyota / Lexus. They have the engineering talent in their hands to do that. So, they will do it. Remember the effortless power to succeed that Toyota had in 1993... That will be Hyundai in 2011. Whatever they want, is theirs.

IIRC, they currently are not placing the stylized "H" logo on the Genesis to avoid the "instant rejection" factor. I did consider Hyundai last time I bought a car but the relatively low residual value turned me off. I think they do too many fleet sales, especially the last gen. Sonata, and it is depressing their values.

FWIW, the Tucson is assembled in Ulsan, South Korea.

lowrider

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 15):
That AWD isnt worth jack s*** in any Hyundai including that Tucson, and what it actually is is a quasi-4WD system.

Well then what would be a good 4wd/AWD system for someone that lives in an area with a moderate hills and a long snowy winter? FWD isn't cutting it enough of the time. In an FWD car I have had about 80 to 85% reliablity. The 2WD light trucks I have owned haven't been any better. I don't do any offroad, and a modest amount trailering between 1500 and 5000lbs. I also don't want to spend more than about $30k.

Edited for clarity

[Edited 2010-03-19 12:14:48]
Proud OOTSK member

dl021

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 15):
Quoting dl021 (Reply 10):
Thanks for supporting US/North American industry and jobs...the people of Alabama and west Georgia in particular are appreciative.

The hell you talking about? They dont make the Tucson in the US/North America and Hyundai is not from the US/North America.

Yeah, they make the Santa Fe and another car in Alabama, and they make the Kia SUV in Georgia. Everytime they sell something here you're supporting their operations here. Sales, service and their support operations here are all dependent on sales of their new products.

But, to be fair, I was confusing the Santa Fe with the Tuscon.

greasespot
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:01 pm

The AWD is to get me to work when the snow flies. Other than that I do not do any kind of off roading or towing live right downtown so there are no rivers or big hills to ford. But quite often at 4 am the snow is not always cleared from the roads.

I bought the vehicle not because it was practical or something that is good for anything...or that it was the best at something, I bought it solely and completely because I like what it looks like. Pretty much any car on the market will do that so i bought the one I like

It drives me to and from places.

GS

LOT767-300ER

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:35 am

Hyundai builds some of the finest cars in the world today. Crazy. But still true

Lets not get ahead of ourselves...theres about 3-5 good Hyundai cars.

Quoting dl021 (Reply 19):
Yeah, they make the Santa Fe and another car in Alabama, and they make the Kia SUV in Georgia. Everytime they sell something here you're supporting their operations here. Sales, service and their support operations here are all dependent on sales of their new products.

Dont be naive, the profits dont stay here. Manufacturing plants when it comes to cars always shift, open, close and transition and in the end the choices do not come from people who are vested in the US.

Quoting greasespot (Reply 20):
The AWD is to get me to work when the snow flies. Other than that I do not do any kind of off roading or towing live right downtown so there are no rivers or big hills to ford. But quite often at 4 am the snow is not always cleared from the roads.

I bought the vehicle not because it was practical or something that is good for anything...or that it was the best at something, I bought it solely and completely because I like what it looks like. Pretty much any car on the market will do that so i bought the one I like

I like that attitude, straight and honest.

Quoting lowrider (Reply 18):
Well then what would be a good 4wd/AWD system for someone that lives in an area with a moderate hills and a long snowy winter? FWD isn't cutting it enough of the time. In an FWD car I have had about 80 to 85% reliablity. The 2WD light trucks I have owned haven't been any better. I don't do any offroad, and a modest amount trailering between 1500 and 5000lbs. I also don't want to spend more than about $30k
Quoting lowrider (Reply 18):
Well then what would be a good 4wd/AWD system for someone that lives in an area with a moderate hills and a long snowy winter? FWD isn't cutting it enough of the time. In an FWD car I have had about 80 to 85% reliablity. The 2WD light trucks I have owned haven't been any better. I don't do any offroad, and a modest amount trailering between 1500 and 5000lbs. I also don't want to spend more than about $30k

That would be a hard question to answer until you tell me if you are looking for a vehicle that is used or new, and if you are looking for something where MPG is very important to you.

For clarification there is no such thing as good AWD when comparing to a good 4WD (more precisely permanent 4WD).

Assuming you want an SUV that is currently made and not a pickup the best would be GOOD selectable lockers front and back, since no SUV comes with that out of the factory and you do not want a Jeep Wrangler the best 4x4 system out there is Jeep's Quadra-Drive II followed closely by VWs 4x4 in the Touareg (The Touareg BTW is classified as a Crossover because of its suspension). After those two you'd be hard pressed to find anything that is truly good.

For under $30k I dont know really if there is a good 4x4 system in any new SUV now that I think about it. The Selec-Trac II in the current Liberty KK comes closest probably in that price range. Toyota used to have some good systems (albeit not in this price range) but they have over the last 5-7 years really gone to the crapper. IMO they dont even have 1 competitive 4x4 system in the US market anymore.

MCOflyer

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:09 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 21):

Agreed.

My opinion on 4WD is that you need your own. My choice would be an old IH Scout and rebuild the entire suspension. But that is me.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

lowrider

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:52 am

That would be a hard question to answer until you tell me if you are looking for a vehicle that is used or new, and if you are looking for something where MPG is very important to you.

New is not necessary. So long as I can find a well cared for examle that is 3 years old or younger, with less than about 40k miles on it, I am not too worried. Paying cash is more important than that new car smell. MPG is fairly important. I have it pretty good right now in terms of commute. I only drive about 400 miles a month, but that could easily change. If it does, I will probably looking at about 4 times that amount. I have no illusions about gas every getting substantially cheaper.

I like the Jeep Wrangler just fine. I rented one for a long weekend in Ouray, CO and absolutely loved it. It just seems like it has a lot of off road capability that don't need on a regular basis. I have looked at Touregs and would jumpseat across the country to get a good diesel one if the price was right.

As long as I can get by without expensive repairs, I will continue to do so, but I will not hesitate to jettison this car and move on when the time comes.
Proud OOTSK member

Flighty

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:36 am

Lets not get ahead of ourselves...theres about 3-5 good Hyundai cars.

My view is their technology is building. Their new Sonata beats Camry and maybe Accord. They did not out-engineer Toyota yet in all models, but that is their goal. Toyota gave that goal up 15 years ago. They no longer care about quality like they used to. Hyundai is hungry and just watch them. They'll be aiming for the Audi A8 in a few years. You're right, they are not there today. But they have the smarts and the momentum to get there. As for their mainstream products... they are becoming benchmark. Next stop, Hyundai Equus. It's no A8, but the replacement sure could be.

LOT767-300ER

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:47 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 24):
My view is their technology is building. Their new Sonata beats Camry and maybe Accord. They did not out-engineer Toyota yet in all models, but that is their goal. Toyota gave that goal up 15 years ago. They no longer care about quality like they used to. Hyundai is hungry and just watch them. They'll be aiming for the Audi A8 in a few years. You're right, they are not there today. But they have the smarts and the momentum to get there. As for their mainstream products... they are becoming benchmark. Next stop, Hyundai Equus. It's no A8, but the replacement sure could be

I respect Hyundai enough that Id buy a Genesis V8 over an S Class or 7 series like Ive said before. But lets not lie to each other, the new Sonata has much worse engines than even the current offering of the Camry and Accord V6s.

I can name 3 decent cars that Hyundai makes currently:

-Genesis
-Genesis Coupe
-The new Sonata.

BTW this isnt about smarts, Asian manufacturers most of the time just copy off Americans and Europeans. Its not like in the world of automobile firsts the Japanese or the Koreans ever contributed anything of real significance.

dl021

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 am

Quoting dl021 (Reply 19):

Dont be naive, the profits dont stay here. Manufacturing plants when it comes to cars always shift, open, close and transition and in the end the choices do not come from people who are vested in the US.

Profits aren't what I was talking about. Calling me naive is akin to you telling me my enthusiast package 350Z couldn't have had leather seats (which was incorrect) and I see the posting style isn't changing much. The money they spend in the communities they operate manufacturing facilities is incredible. They've revitalized a good section of LaGrange Georgia, and ancillary industry has built up around the plant, with parts manufacturors, warehouses, support business, all the way to hardware stores and car dealerships that are either started or revitalized to support the plants. There's a reason states fight over who gets the factories like this. It means jobs and incomes that get spent and spur growth. Ever time Hyundai sells something here money gets spent. Profits don't go into mattresses, they go into other growth opportunities which employ more people. The decisions about where to build hinge on factors centered in economics, and the fact is that it makes Hyundai money to build here, and when Hyundai does well (Kia as well) it's good for my home state.

Quoting greasespot (Reply 20):

Which is the number one reason people buy cars. By a mile. Most cars are safe and fairly reliable these days. People make their decisions most often on appearance and styling when it comes to transportation, with everything coming in second.

stasisLAX

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 am

Friend of mine just traded a 2006 Passat for a brand new 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE. The car is amazingly comfortable and has good power and handling for something that cost $25K USD, and is getting 24-26 MPG in mixed driving.

Big version: Width: 900 Height: 600 File size: 342kb

[Edited 2010-03-21 18:56:49]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

pgh234

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:28 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 27):
Friend of mine just traded a 2006 Passat for a brand new 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE

Ick, that thing looks like an inflated Prius.

Quoting dl021 (Reply 26):
Profits aren't what I was talking about. Calling me naive is akin to you telling me my enthusiast package 350Z couldn't have had leather seats (which was incorrect) and I see the posting style isn't changing much. The money they spend in the communities they operate manufacturing facilities is incredible. They've revitalized a good section of LaGrange Georgia, and ancillary industry has built up around the plant, with parts manufacturors, warehouses, support business, all the way to hardware stores and car dealerships that are either started or revitalized to support the plants. There's a reason states fight over who gets the factories like this. It means jobs and incomes that get spent and spur growth. Ever time Hyundai sells something here money gets spent. Profits don't go into mattresses, they go into other growth opportunities which employ more people. The decisions about where to build hinge on factors centered in economics, and the fact is that it makes Hyundai money to build here, and when Hyundai does well (Kia as well) it's good for my home state.

When you purchase a Hyundai or Kia, you support a $10/hr job in some factory that popped up in some farm field in GA. Profits leave the country to support foreign companies and their related growth. US cities forgo millions of $$ in philanthropy. Existing thriving manufacturing bases in the US die and become desolite brownfields. Families lives are ruined.

When you purchase a Ford or GM, you support a middle-class wage job. Profits stay in the US and support $100's of millions of dollars of philanthropy that have developed impressive cultural and community assets in existing manufacturing cities in the US. How many of the primary cultural assets in your city are named for Henry Ford or Andrew Carnegie? How many of the primary cultural assets in your city (if you even have them..esp in the south) are named for Mr. Kia or Mr. Toyoda? Does a strong middle class exist in your city? Did it used to exist?

The American auto-makers did need a kick in the butt to get the unions under control and improve their quality. The foreign auto makers have provided the ample competition to make that happen. Now that US and foreign auto-makers are producing equal quality cars again...please, remember where your money goes. A few fancy new buildings in a greenfield farmland and maybe a donation or two to some local charity should not be enough to blind you from the reality of the situation.

Flighty

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:50 am

Quoting pgh234 (Reply 28):
When you purchase a Ford or GM, you support a middle-class wage job.

I support government workers anyway. It's tax season.

Now that US and foreign auto-makers are producing equal quality cars again...please, remember where your money goes.

If I own a share of Toyota, and a Japanese guy owns some Ford shares, then who is the foreign auto maker? What if the Ford is made in Europe? What if the Toyota is made in the USA? What is foreign about that?

We're back to the "Detroit is more American than South Carolina" thing again, which is BS. I could care less where the shareholders are located. If people want a high wage, they should earn it. Otherwise a low wage should be perfectly fine. GM is functioning on government money now. They didn't even earn that money. It was taken from the public. I'd rather have the Japanese handle this if the Americans are going to c*ck it up that badly.

As for the UAW being the bedrock of the midwest, those days are totally over. It was unstable and it died.

pgh234

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:56 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 29):
GM is functioning on government money now. They didn't even earn that money. It was taken from the public. I'd rather have the Japanese handle this if the Americans are going to c*ck it up that badly.

As for the UAW being the bedrock of the midwest, those days are totally over. It was unstable and it died.

Those are very valid points that I am certainly not arguing. I agree...that stuff is wrong. Detroit and the UAW got way too cocky.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 29):
What if the Ford is made in Europe? What if the Toyota is made in the USA? What is foreign about that?

If a Ford is made in Europe, the profit from that car purchase returns back to the USA. USA benefits.
If a Toyota is made in the USA, the profit from that car purchase returns back to Japan. Japan benefits.

Boeing74741R

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 am

Hyundai builds some of the finest cars in the world today

You have got to be joking?!?

I don't know about what the Hyundai's that are sold in the US are like in terms of build quality and performance, but here in the UK the range of cars that they offer isn't extensive. And the cars they do offer are effectively cheaper alternatives to the offerings from Ford, Renault, Seat, Vauxhall, VW etc. Plus, the depreciation of the Hyundai's in the UK is shocking, so if anyone is buying one you're better off getting an entry-level model.

Personally, a Hyundai would be a long way down the pecking order when I come to replace my Ford Mondeo. However, I can see why people like them due to their affordability and other such reasons - a friend of mine bought a Hyundai i20 last year, spacious interior, seems to drive well and he's happy with it at least - but I wouldn't go as far as saying that they build some of the finest cars in the world...or not offered in the UK at least!

Flighty

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 31):
but I wouldn't go as far as saying that they build some of the finest cars in the world...or not offered in the UK at least!

Yes it sounds totally crazy, but Hyundai is aiming to compete with the Mercedes S550, just as Lexus competes with it. The Hyundai Equus is in that market. Eventually you can expect Hyundai to meet the Japanese and Germans (if not the English) at the top level of the luxury class. People once laughed at Toyota (in 1989). But now everybody knows Toyota can build cars equal to anyone. Actually, Hyundai is just reaching this capability.

dl021

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 pm

When you purchase a Hyundai or Kia, you support a $10/hr job in some factory that popped up in some farm field in GA.

They're making jobs that weren't there before. In many of these smaller towns where they make these vehicles the base industry went away after NAFTA (even started before then due to automation and modern manufacturing processes. The GM and Ford jobs that were in our state for a long time went away, in part because they were unionized factories that were no longer competitive and it wasn't worthwhile converting the factories to make newer models if they had to use the same workforce.

The answer is yes, we do have a middle class....only ours didn't kill itself by pricing itself out of competitiveness like Akron's or Cleveland's or Detroit's. Ours was hurt by the industrialization of farming and modernization in the milling industries that often supported smaller southern towns, then by NAFTA (or to be fair, growth in world trade).

As far as where the profits go, they go wherever the manufacturor invests them. Again, they don't get sent home to Korea to be placed in a mattress. They get invested across the world, including in the US. It's part of that whole world trade thing. It's a non-strategic defense item we can import or build here from a manufacturor from a solid, democratic ally who has stood by us in everything for 60+ years. I don't see much downside, unless I'm a Teamsters union rep trying to figure out how to force people to stay unionized and price ourselves out of jobs.

Unsustainable jobs are just that. I'd say we ought to start a new thread, as this one is getting hijacked/derailed. If someone wants to discuss this further start a new thread and PM me so I can find it.

OP...I apologize for this. Congrats on the new car.

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 31):
I don't know about what the Hyundai's that are sold in the US are like in terms of build quality and performance, but here in the UK the range of cars that they offer isn't extensive. And the cars they do offer are effectively cheaper alternatives to the offerings from Ford, Renault, Seat, Vauxhall, VW etc. Plus, the depreciation of the Hyundai's in the UK is shocking, so if anyone is buying one you're better off getting an entry-level model.

Hyundai had this reputation until recently in the US. The put a 10 year warranty on their cars and started making better looking cars that worked better. It's not a Honda, yet, in the eyes of the consumer, but it's a very popular car with young people and folks with less money to spend on vehicles. They stand behind their products here.

N1120A

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Congrats on the new car Greasy. If you ever leave the OPP to become a Mountie, it will blend right in  
Quoting dl021 (Reply 26):

Profits aren't what I was talking about.

Jobs are, and that is what we need. That said, the OP is Canadian and likely doesn't care as much, seeing that her country's economy is in good shape.

When you purchase a Hyundai or Kia, you support a $10/hr job in some factory that popped up in some farm field in GA.

1) $10/hr is better than a living wage "in some farm field in GA."

2) I doubt these people are getting that little, at least without some overtime. They would get unionized in an instant.

3) You forget benefits, management, increased service industry, etc.

Unlike many industrialized countries, the US has a significant labor force. These days, that labor force is idle. Plants like these reverse that trend, and also support the service industry.

Quoting pgh234 (Reply 30):

If a Ford is made in Europe, the profit from that car purchase returns back to the USA. USA benefits.
If a Toyota is made in the USA, the profit from that car purchase returns back to Japan. Japan benefits.

That is an old, tired, overly simplistic argument.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dl021

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:59 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 34):
That is an old, tired, overly simplistic argument.

I'm going to sit down now....Alireza and I are agreeing on an economic issue.

someone get me a drink.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 34):
1) $10/hr is better than a living wage "in some farm field in GA."

The standard of living in LaGrange Georgia, where the Kia plant is, was decent, but unemployment was an issue. The average job there on the line pays a good bit more than $10 per hour, but I'm certain that some of the unskilled labor starts around there. The jobs that the plant brought to town have helped revitalize everything from restaurants to convenience stores, they even have their first Korean BBQ joint now. It's pretty good.

pgh234

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:04 am

I also agree that it is overly simplistic in today's globalized world. ..but at the end of the day, that is what it comes down to. The net profits from the successes of a foreign company are enjoyed elsewhere instead of almost 100% here. I look at the millions that my company (and other local companies) give away to local charities, sporting events, and cultural initiatives and it makes a big difference. The next time you walk into you neighborhood's Mr. Toyoda Library or see Mr. Kia in town donating money to build a new light rail system...let me know.

[Edited 2010-03-22 20:05:43]

Boeing74741R

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:44 am

Quoting dl021 (Reply 33):
Hyundai had this reputation until recently in the US. The put a 10 year warranty on their cars and started making better looking cars that worked better. It's not a Honda, yet, in the eyes of the consumer, but it's a very popular car with young people and folks with less money to spend on vehicles. They stand behind their products here.

Fair enough. Here in the UK, Hyundai sell cars with a 5 year warranty whilst Kia sell some (or all?) with a 7 year warranty.

I think over here there's a greater expectation on the standards of build quality, looks, performance, handling, practicality, depreciation, and so on. It's something that has hampered Hyundai and Kia for quite some time, and although they are trying to bin the image they had, it won't happen overnight and I think they've still got their work cut out in the UK. Another aspect is the choice on offer - Ford offers a lot of choice in terms of engines and spec for their models meaning there's a Ford to suit everyone, whereas Hyundai and Kia is still rather limited and only a Hyundai and Kia for some people.

We shall see!

TUNisia

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Quoting greasespot (Reply 2):

How much will that vehicle be worth in 3 years you think?

Nonetheless... it is a nicely made vehicle.. just try to keep it free of door dings and park away from other cars! Nice looking too!
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

greasespot
Topic Author

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 38):
How much will that vehicle be worth in 3 years you think?

Don't care. My last car I had for 8 years and was paid off long time ago. I paid 9999 I think at the time and they gave me 2500 for it with over 200 000km on it. If I had lets say a ford Focus with the same age and Km I would have got the same amount.

I keep cars for years so whether it loses value in the first 3 years does not matter....

Look It is my money and I bought the car I wanted....Just like you buy the car you want with your money...The first time you start paying for my car you get a voice as to what I buy.

GS

[Edited 2010-03-23 14:36:50]