Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146
Topic Author

Daylight Savings Question

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:50 am

First off: Spring forward!
My question is: Oregon stops selling all alcohol at 2:30AM and does not resume until 7AM. Since the time chages officialy at 2AM, how does this work? Also, how does it work with states that stop selling at 2AM when Daylight Savings Time is over?

Stealthz

RE: Daylight Savings Question

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:15 am

My guess and it is only that.
To stay technically inside the law they would stop selling at 1:59am.
A half hour of trading lost that they could make up in the fall.

cptkrell

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:24 am

First off, changing time is stupid!

I have yet to meet anyone in favor of it (although I'm sure we'lI hear some folks in this thread in support). I say Arizona and Hawai'i have the right idea. Ignore daylight "savings" time.

Second, I would assume that irrespective of the time frame(s) you used in your thread-starter example, it all probably goes down to local and/or state agreed-upon clock/time mandates regarding legally stopping-starting beverage sales. In other words, they just make up their own minds, voted for of course, no matter when the time changes in Oregon.

Las Vegas would be aother local example...they NEVER stop selling alcohol, no matter what the clock sez. Two adjoining counties here in Tennessee would be another example; no alcohol on Sundays prior to noon in County B and no Sunday alcohol sales in next-door county R prior to 10AM. regards...jack

DocLightning

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:39 am

"I have yet to meet anyone in favor of it (although I'm sure we'lI hear some folks in this thread in support). I say Arizona and Hawai'i have the right idea. Ignore daylight "savings" time."

I agree. But I think that it should be DST all year. There is no reason the clocks need to be set so that it gets dark at 4:30 PM in December.

AirframeAS

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:40 am

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 2):
I say Arizona and Hawai'i have the right idea. Ignore daylight "savings" time.

Indiana does not observe it either. I did not know Hawaii did not observe it. I thought that Alaska does not observe it, guess I was wrong on that.

While it may be, there is a reason behind it. It makes the daylight hours longer at the same time it saves on electricity useage.

Okie

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:01 am

The origins of Daylight Savings Time came from California. They had it decades ahead of every state. The original idea was to give families more time of daylight for outdoor endevors.
Now it seems that even the smallest of outdoor activities have lighted stadiums, and somebody else mows your yard.

Okie

blrsea

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:04 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 4):
While it may be, there is a reason behind it. It makes the daylight hours longer at the same time it saves on electricity useage.

Has it been really proved that it saves on electricity usage? I really doubt if it is so today

WildcatYXU

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:09 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 5):
The origins of Daylight Savings Time came from California.

If California is in Germany, then yes.

ha763

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:30 am

Indiana does not observe it either. I did not know Hawaii did not observe it.

Indiana used to be split with certain counties observing while others did not. Since 2006 all of Indiana observers DST. Hawaii has never observed DST.

Quoting Okie (Reply 5):
The origins of Daylight Savings Time came from California. They had it decades ahead of every state. The original idea was to give families more time of daylight for outdoor endevors.

I hope you are not serious.

Fly2HMO

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:38 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 5):
Now it seems that even the smallest of outdoor activities have lighted stadiums, and somebody else mows your yard.

Okie

Errrm right...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

LTU932

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:38 am

Question: Why did the US change the dates when Daylight Savings starts and ends instead of sticking to the same schedule most European countries have? Why do they now go alone with the date, where the changes should occur?

varigb707

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:54 am

Revelation

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Quoting seb146 (Thread starter):
My question is: Oregon stops selling all alcohol at 2:30AM and does not resume until 7AM. Since the time chages officialy at 2AM, how does this work?

When we do "spring forward" the next minute after 1:59 is 3:00 so they'd better stop selling at 1:59.

Also, how does it work with states that stop selling at 2AM when Daylight Savings Time is over?

When we do "fall backwards" the next minute after 1:59 is 1:00 so they get an extra hour of booze.

AutothrustBlue

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Quoting blrsea (Reply 6):
Has it been really proved that it saves on electricity usage? I really doubt if it is so today

More daytime means less nighttime, which means lights will not be used as long, thus saving electricity. Also, more time spent outdoors corresponds to less time indoors using appliances, etc. that consume electricity. How much electricity is saved is beyond me; I do not have data on my hands to answer that.

[Edited 2010-03-14 09:00:57]

StarAC17

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):
I agree. But I think that it should be DST all year. There is no reason the clocks need to be set so that it gets dark at 4:30 PM in December.

Simple would you rather have it get dark at 4:30pm or light at 8:30am or even later the further north you get. Here in Toronto if we kept DST the whole year it wouldn't get light in December until 9am.

Also in the summer what it the point of having the sun rise at 4:30am in June when everyone is still asleep.

In mid latitudes (25 to 55 degrees) it makes sense to do it, in the tropics or the Subarctic it makes no sense to do it at all.

AirframeAS

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Has it been really proved that it saves on electricity usage?

It is pretty obvious that the daylight hours are longer than in the winter time which helps save on electricity (or in Ben Franklin's account: Saves on candles), should be self-explanatory. That is how it was set up originally, I believe.

Quoting Okie (Reply 5):

Incorrect. Go back to the Revolutionary times. See: Ben Franklin. Google Search that.

Okie

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:06 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 15):
Incorrect. Go back to the Revolutionary times. See: Ben Franklin. Google Search that

I obviously was incorrect.

Okie

fca767

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Two Clocks in my mum's house are still on British Summer Time from last year 
The Honda Jazz also, although that loses 5 minutes after each week anyway (Compare that to my lovely old Nissan Micra which was perfect, never Steamed up the windows either like the larger Honda)

Maverick623

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:55 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 5):

Yikes.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 15):

It is pretty obvious that the daylight hours are longer than in the winter time which helps save on electricity (or in Ben Franklin's account: Saves on candles), should be self-explanatory. That is how it was set up originally, I believe.

It was actually so workers (mostly farmers) could have an extra hour at the end of the day to get some more work in.

It makes the daylight hours longer at the same time it saves on electricity useage.

Not true at all.... electricity usage remains roughly the same. See below.

Quoting AutothrustBlue (Reply 13):
More daytime means less nighttime, which means lights will not be used as long, thus saving electricity

This is exactly why we don't use it in AZ. An extra hour of sun means an extra hour of solar radiation heating up houses, requiring more usage out of A/C units and just making everyone that much more miserable.

And a fun fact: The Navajo Nation actually does observe DST. So there's a little sliver of AZ that does use it.

mayor

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:03 am

I read that, officially, the U.S. did it during WWI as a fuel saving measure.

At one time it was kept so the farmers would have an extra hour of light to work in the fields, but, nowadays, most farmers' rigs are lighted, anyway.

Also, I understood that the state of Indiana observed DST, EXCEPT for Indianapolis.

FX772LRF

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 19):
Also, I understood that the state of Indiana observed DST, EXCEPT for Indianapolis.

Indianapolis has always (for as far as I know) observed DST. It's counties of Indiana on the border of Illinois/Indiana that always swung weird ways when it comes to DST.

-Noah   

AirframeAS

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:17 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 18):
It makes the daylight hours longer at the same time it saves on electricity useage.

Not true at all.... electricity usage remains roughly the same. See below.

More daytime means less nighttime, which means lights will not be used as long, thus saving electricity

This is exactly why we don't use it in AZ. An extra hour of sun means an extra hour of solar radiation heating up houses, requiring more usage out of A/C units and just making everyone that much more miserable.

Not everybody lives in Arizona.    And for me, it saves ME money on electricity in the summer months, now that I live in Colorado.

Maverick623

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:23 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 21):

Not everybody lives in Arizona.

While I was saying in AZ it raises the electric bill, in most other states where it gets hot and muggy, the difference between lights and a/c use should be minimal.

LAXintl

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:58 am

Back to the OP'er question...

In California atleast - alcohol can be served for two hours after midnight regardless of the the time change.

25631. Any on- or off-sale licensee, or agent or employee of that
licensee, who sells, gives, or delivers to any persons any alcoholic
beverage or any person who knowingly purchases any alcoholic beverage
between the hours of 2 o'clock a.m. and 6 o'clock a.m. of the same
day, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
For the purposes of this section, on the day that a time change
occurs from Pacific standard time to Pacific daylight saving time, or
back again to Pacific standard time, "2 o'clock a.m." means two
hours after midnight of the day preceding the day such change occurs.

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:19 am

I agree. But I think that it should be DST all year.

More daytime means less nighttime, which means lights will not be used as long, thus saving electricity.

It means more daylight in the evening. That means less daylight in the morning. So I have to wonder if the energy saved in the evening just gets used in the morning.

Personally, I'd much rather it be dark when I wake up, but still light when I get home from work. DST all year!

mayor

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 24):
That means less daylight in the morning.

DST all year around means that children that live in rural areas, that must ride a school bus, would have to wait in the dark during the winter months.

Snopes has this to say:

http://www.snopes.com/science/daylight.asp

[Edited 2010-03-15 07:53:50]

rfields5421

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Oregon stops selling all alcohol at 2:30AM and does not resume until 7AM. Since the time chages officialy at 2AM, how does this work? Also, how does it work with states that stop selling at 2AM when Daylight Savings Time is over?

Assuming you live in Oregon, did you ask anyone who worked at a store selling alcohol? I'm sure they have very specific instructions from the state.

I agree. But I think that it should be DST all year.

The United States had year round DST back in 1974

Quoting FX772LRF (Reply 20):
Indianapolis has always (for as far as I know) observed DST. It's counties of Indiana on the border of Illinois/Indiana that always swung weird ways when it comes to DST.

All of the state of Indiana was under DST when I was stationed there in 1974.

The reason Indiana splits the DST times was because the state is split into two different time zones - part of the state is in Eastern Time, part is in Central Time. Unlike the other split states of Kentucky and Tennessee, the Indiana separation is in heavily populated areas.

Indiana would be best served to choose one time zone for the state, but that is a very deep division. The part of the state near Chicago insists on Central Time. The part of the state near Detroit, Toledo and Louisville, KY insists on Eastern Time.

Quoting mayor (Reply 25):
DST all year around means that children that live in rural areas, that must ride a school bus, would have to wait in the dark during the winter months.

That was one of the biggest reasons that the year round DST was abandoned. There was no increase in traffic accidents or other incidents indicating the children were in increased danger, but it was a fear all parents and grandparents could understand.

Lufthansa411

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Actually, it is not so much about electricity usage, as "total resource consumption". While power savings may be minimal, and the science is contradictory, many studies have shown that DST when implemented during a certain period of the year reduces auto accidents and makes people seemingly more "efficient" overall. Basically, when everything is added up, there is less consumed, whether it is Ambulances using petrol, or an employee being more alert while making copies, thus making less errors and using less paper.

Okie

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:24 pm

Quoting FX772LRF (Reply 20):
Indianapolis has always (for as far as I know) observed DST. It's counties of Indiana on the border of Illinois/Indiana that always swung weird ways when it comes to DST

The best I can remember in the late 80's some flight times between STL-IND that you got there before you left STL and a long time to get from IND-STL.

Okie

chrisair

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 21):
Not everybody lives in Arizona.

Thank god. Don't come here. It's terrible.  
Quoting Okie (Reply 28):

The best I can remember in the late 80's some flight times between STL-IND that you got there before you left STL and a long time to get from IND-STL.

This happened to me last week flying TUS-LAS: left at 9p, arrived LAS at 8:55pm. It was strange the first time it happened. Now I expect it.  

AirframeAS

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 22):
While I was saying in AZ it raises the electric bill, in most other states where it gets hot and muggy, the difference between lights and a/c use should be minimal.

When I was living in Arizona, I did not use the AC in the summer. I used the ceiling fan and a stand up fan. That kept my bills down with APS and SRP. I have the bills to prove it.

It means more daylight in the evening. That means less daylight in the morning.

It depends on where you are at.

Personally, I'd much rather it be dark when I wake up, but still light when I get home from work. DST all year!

That wouldn't work in the winter because the earth's rotation around the sun and how the earth is tilted a little bit. I forgot the term on that one.

Revelation

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Well, I just wish they would make up their minds!

I have a nice clock that gets its time automatically via radio and updates for DST, but using the pre-2007 rules!

So, twice a year when the current rules kick in for the longer DST, I go a few weeks with that clock being off by one hour because it's still in non-DST mode.

And I can't fix it manually (it's so smart it doesn't offer manual adjustment) nor can tell it I'm in a different time zone (I live in the eastern-most TZ that it supports).

And being in the software field, all these changes end up being a royal PITA since some customers are still using pre-2007 software.

Rant over...

StarAC17

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 30):
That wouldn't work in the winter because the earth's rotation around the sun and how the earth is tilted a little bit. I forgot the term on that one.

The days are at their shortest at this time because the northern hemisphere is tilted away from the sun in the fall and winter. (that changes on Saturday )

DST would work in the winter but it would get light around 8:30-9am and get dark 5:30pm (for where you live) instead of the current getting light at 7:30-8am and getting dark at 4:30pm. The days are so short at this time it really makes no sense to do it.

Also depending on the year and your location with the new DST rules that came into place in 2007 the latest sunrise which is supposed to be in early January might actually now be in early November just before the clocks go back to Standard time,

mayor

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 31):
I have a nice clock that gets its time automatically via radio and updates for DST, but using the pre-2007 rules!

So, twice a year when the current rules kick in for the longer DST, I go a few weeks with that clock being off by one hour because it's still in non-DST mode.

And I can't fix it manually (it's so smart it doesn't offer manual adjustment) nor can tell it I'm in a different time zone (I live in the eastern-most TZ that it supports).

I think you just answered my problem I have with the same kind of clock. Yesterday morning, I manually changed the time on the clock because it didn't seem to change by itself. When I went back in a little while later, it was indicating an hour earlier. I didn't manage to get it right, though.....there's a small reset button that you can push.

AirframeAS

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Quoting starac17 (Reply 32):
The days are at their shortest at this time because the northern hemisphere is tilted away from the sun in the fall and winter.

Whats the term for that? I simply forgot what that is called? Magnitude axis? I forgot.

StarAC17

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 34):
Whats the term for that? I simply forgot what that is called? Magnitude axis? I forgot.

The only term I can think of is Axial tilt.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Quoting Okie (Reply 5):

Ah you need to read up on this a little more, modern DST was first proposed by the New Zealand entomologist George Vernon Hudson, whose shift-work job gave him leisure time to collect insects, and made him aware of the value of after-hours daylight. In 1895 he presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society proposing a two-hour daylight-saving shift.

Damn us Kiwi's are smart buggers, the first to fly, invented the electric fence, the jet boat, the pavolva and now I find out one of us was the first to propose DST.

Coming from a family of farmers cows don't give a crap about DST, they get up at the same time everyday.

StarAC17

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 36):
Damn us Kiwi's are smart buggers, the first to fly, invented the electric fence, the jet boat, the pavolva and now I find out one of us was the first to propose DST.

Not to mention you commercialzed the Bungy Jump and Zorbing which I took full advantage of when I was in NZ last month .

PlunaCRJ

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:07 pm

How much electricity is saved is beyond me; I do not have data on my hands to answer that.

In Uruguay, we exited DST yesterday. Electricity savings due to it were aproximately 3%

Regards,

DocLightning

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:24 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 25):

Awww, wah, wah, wah. So kids, whose school day starts around 9-ish, when the sun is up no matter what time it is. The older kids (high school) have the earlier buses and they can stand in the dark.

On December 21, the sun is still well up here by 7AM, so it would be up by 8 when these kids are waiting for the bus.

The transition sure threw my dog for a loop this morning. Usually he's licking my face at 7AM sharp. This morning, my alarm went off and he just lay there like "Why are you getting up so early?" Then he heard the bag of dog food rustling and he was out of bed like a lightly-loaded 757 out of SNA.  

mayor

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:00 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 39):
Awww, wah, wah, wah. So kids, whose school day starts around 9-ish, when the sun is up no matter what time it is. The older kids (high school) have the earlier buses and they can stand in the dark.

School starting time doesn't necessarily mean they get on the bus when it's light out. In some places, grade school starts more like 8ish. In rural areas, they may have a long bus ride to take to school, depending on where they're at on the route. Even back when I was in school, we had about 68 more miles to go before we got to school. In the dead of winter, the sun wasn't even up yet. I can't imagine what it would be like if it was under DST.

Maverick623

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:22 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 30):

When I was living in Arizona, I did not use the AC in the summer.

It's official: You're completely insane  

mayor

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Coming from a family of farmers cows don't give a crap about DST, they get up at the same time everyday.

Not all farming is just about cows. However, in this day and age, farmers plow their fields or harvest their crops long into the dark because their rigs have adequate lighting. In the past that wasn't possible, so having an extra hour of daylight, helped.

now I find out one of us was the first to propose DST.

Maybe he just go the idea from Ben Franklin.

AirframeAS

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:33 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 41):
t's official: You're completely insane  

I didn't want to pay for it, especially as a college student. No way!    Those bills from APS and SRP were nearly identical in the summer while using the air conditioning: $200+ a month.......alone!  Wow!
Quoting starac17 (Reply 35):
The only term I can think of is Axial tilt.

Yes! That's it! Thanks!

Pavolva is good. But Don't forget who really came up with the DST originally: Ben Franklin.

Kiwirob

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 43):
Pavolva is good. But Don't forget who really came up with the DST originally: Ben Franklin.

"During his time as an American envoy to France, Benjamin Franklin, author of the proverb, "Early to bed, and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise", anonymously published a letter suggesting that Parisians economize on candles by rising earlier to use morning sunlight." quote from Wikipedia.

Is suggesting people get up earlier to economise on candle use really the first suggestion of DST? I think not.

LAXintl

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 39):

On December 21, the sun is still well up here by 7AM, so it would be up by 8 when these kids are waiting for the bus.

I dont know how schools are in SF, but I recall distinctly my High School starting at 725am. I just check with my niece and nephews and they currently start middle school homeroom at 8am, and the one in high school starts at either 701am, 720am or 8am depending on if their is athletics that day.

Going to school in the dark at 630am is no fun.

AirframeAS

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:08 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 44):
Is suggesting people get up earlier to economise on candle use really the first suggestion of DST? I think not.

But earlier you said.......

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 44):
quote from Wikipedia.

Lowest form you can use....

Try this instead of some low intelligent website that can be edited to fit someone else's view:

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/index.html

And to add: Anything that is derived from Wiki is ignored by me, so don't try to come up with sources from Wiki because it is usually wrong. Wiki is stupid and I never, ever use it.

timz

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:30 pm

Quoting ha763 (Reply 8):
Hawaii has never observed DST.
Quoting mayor (Reply 19):
I read that, officially, the U.S. did it during WWI as a fuel saving measure.

Started 2/42, ended 9?/45, year round over the whole country, which for most of the country was their first use of it (since 1918 or 1919).

Hawaiian Standard Time was 2-1/2 hours behind PST-- dunno whether they shifted to DST in 1942.

mayor

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:45 pm

Quoting timz (Reply 47):
Started 2/42, ended 9?/45, year round over the whole country, which for most of the country was their first use of it (since 1918 or 1919).

Well, it was started in 1918, stopped in 1919 and not used again until WWII.

timz

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:12 am

Year-round DST wasn't used again until 1942, but a fair chunk of the US north of the Potomac continued to use summer time thru the 1920s-1930s.