Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

September11
Topic Author

Poll: Are You Rich Or Poor?

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Are you rich or poor?

I am near poor but I am not living by paycheck to paycheck.   
Airliners.net of the Future

casinterest

RE: Poll: Are You Rich Or Poor?

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:50 pm

Cmon we need some guidlines. Poor is soul, poor as in below poverty. poor as in make money, but live in underwater house?

I am actually pleasently well off , in between rich and poor with a house that is worth significantly more than I owe on it.
Where ever you go, there you are.

falstaff

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Quoting casInterest (Reply 1):
but live in underwater house?

I owe about $78,000 on my house it is worth $15,000-$20,000. Houses in my street sold for 80K-140K back in 03-04. Today they sell for 6K-31K.

I'm not poor. I have plenty of stuff and usuall have the money to live well and do what I want (within reason). I'm not rich, as I can't buy whatever I want and live in classy neighborhood. I am just a solid working guy.

I don't have a lot of money, but I have a lot of assets. You could say I am cash flow poor.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

ajd1992

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:18 pm

My family as in aunties & uncles etc are pretty well off, whereas my mum and dad were relatively poor. My 3 aunties and uncles live in big, detached houses with nice cars in newly built areas. My mum and dad bought a house after they married and my dad still lives in it (3 bedroom semi-detached and a pretty small one at that).

After my mum died (and the following life insurance payout) my dad had a nice chunk of money that personally I think he did some stupid things with. I mean he paid off the house and things like that but he blew a lot of it on holidays abroad (now I think back about it I'd rather have gone to university for year instead of Florida for 2 weeks). I don't mean to sound greedy or spoilt (I'm not, I'm the least spoilt kid you'll meet) but I'd have preferred more money put aside for education or something important. Me and my brother got 20K each which is a lot but in terms of education - there's no price on it.

A teenager can't make informed decisions about money unfortunately... I blew 3 grand on flying lessons (that I shouldn't have done but there's nothing I can do about that), I had to lend my dad 1K with the promise of I might not get it back (I had to anyway - the cash was in his name so I had no choice, and I didn't get it back), 2K on a drum kit (Don't feel bad about that at all though) and countless other things I didn't need. I've got about 8K left now.

[Edited 2010-03-26 11:20:20]

Derico

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Rich for the poor and poor for the rich.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

ShyFlyer

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:21 pm

Quoting casInterest (Reply 1):
Cmon we need some guidlines.

Without some sort of reference point, it's all up to personal interpretation.

With this in mind, I would say that while I have a job that pays...money and includes health bennies, my finances are not what I feel they should be at this point in my life. I'm not saving for retirement, my savings does not have a minimum of one-year's salary, and I typically do slightly better than live paycheck to paycheck.

But am I poor? I really can't say that I am, especially when you consider that I own two vehicles, making payments on an RV, and have great credit. I do, however, have to stick to a very strict budget (i.e. if it is more than $20 I have to ask myself, "Do I really need it?).

I'm certainly not rich. Not by any stretch of the imagination.  
I lift things up and put them down.

Fly2HMO

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:52 pm

In a strictly economical/financial sense, and just me personally, yeah, I am basically completely broke. And $100k in debt on top of that. I have a job but every penny of that income is going to my new car and paying off my god damned student loans.   

But I live in a very nice house, have a real-deal chef to cook for me daily (my mom) all which is a byproduct of my reluctantly living with my parents. But as with everybody else my parents are hurting with this recession as well   

As for the rest of my family, they fall under this category:

Quoting Derico (Reply 4):
Rich for the poor and poor for the rich.

tz757300

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:38 pm

I am a college student, therefore I am financially poor in nature. But I am increasing my personal worth for each class I take...yeah, I'll think about myself like that and say I'm educationally rich.  

CanadianDC10

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:41 pm

I am rich because I have my health, my family, friends, an education, and a comfortable life.

swissy

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Quoting CanadianDC10 (Reply 8):
I am rich because I have my health, my family, friends, an education, and a comfortable life.

Now that is the reason I love living in Canada  

Based on the    alone... well off

cheerios

A333TS

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 6):
In a strictly economical/financial sense, and just me personally, yeah, I am basically completely broke. And $100k in debt on top of that. I have a job but every penny of that income is going to my new car and paying off my god damned student loans.   

But I live in a very nice house, have a real-deal chef to cook for me daily (my mom) all which is a byproduct of my reluctantly living with my parents. But as with everybody else my parents are hurting with this recession as well   

I am almost in the same boat, thou I'm only $60000 in debt (car and student loan) and also live with my parents.

A333TS

[Edited 2010-03-26 13:02:14]

LH459

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 2):
I don't have a lot of money, but I have a lot of assets. You could say I am cash flow poor.

Right there with you. My partner brings in a decent income, but my income has fallen off a cliff over the past 18 months. I haven't been able to save a dime since early last year, and have slowly burned through my cash reserves trying to make ends meet, because of my involuntarily reduced hours and salary. That said, I live in a nice place with very nice things, my car is paid off, and my student loans were paid off years ago. Still, we had built a lifestyle which depended on both of us bringing home a good income, so things have become much more austere over the past year. No more vacations, no eating out, very little discretionary spending. I've been trying to get a better job, but it's not easy.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

Fly2HMO

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:18 pm

I think unless we actually have billionaires in this thread, we won't ever hear from anybody who thinks they are actually rich. On the same token, if somebody is actually poor, I highly doubt they'll have internet and a computer   

Rj111

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:21 pm

I actually recently managed to fluke a job which gave me a salary 1600 GBP times my age (+ 60% of my last job).

And i can honestly say the new job (which is in the same field) is less stressful - which is baffling really.

However a lot of that goes on flying.

fr8mech

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Let's see:

-We don't live pay check to pay check, but we do watch how we spend our money.
-We hold 48% equity in our home.
-We don't carry credit card debt.
-We have a loan on a car (60 mon/0% APR).

According to Quicken our net worth is about $700,000. But, most of that is tied up in the house and retirement funds. I don't count the house, since I live in it and the retirement funds are off-limits, except in some dire emergency. Liquid assets? Probably about $70,000.

Rich? No. Solidily in the middle class.

[Edited 2010-03-26 13:29:14]

[Edited 2010-03-26 13:30:05]
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

KevinL1011

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:34 pm

Yep...here's the truly rich man. Kudos CanadianDC10! I've met tons of people who have everything materially but their kids and family are fked up. These people are impoverished personally and emotionally. They would pay any amout of money to hear their son, daughter or parent say "I love you".

For me, I am rich like the CanadianDC10 Tri-Jet lover in post 8. My son, daughter, wife, mother and 2 sisters are my best friends I have and we all love each other very, very much. My Uncle used to say "If all you have are money problems, you don't have any problems at all".
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

DocLightning

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Right now I'd put myself solidly middle class. I make a lot of money but I also have a loan on a car and a lot of expenses. Once the expenses (mostly related to moving) are settled down, we can start to save and will probably wind up in a "fairly rich" category. At least at the top of the middle class.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

FX772LRF

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Same here. I'm glad to be able to go to sleep every night not having to wonder what, or even if, I will have something to eat tomorrow. I'm glad to know that I have the potential with my education to do whatever I want to do in life. I'm glad that I have my family's support (father and sister) to do whatever it is that I'd like to do.

I'm thankful that I have my father around, unlike he did when he was my age, to push me to my dreams and to help me achieve them. I'm also thankful that I have enough appreciation for my family being around that I actually had to stop halfway through this post because I couldn't see through my tears.

Would I like to have my mother, or a mother figure around to assist my father in pushing me to my dreams? Sure. But that's not happening right now, and that's just the way that it is.

Quoting kevinl1011 (Reply 15):
Yep...here's the truly rich man.
Woman.  

Sure, everyone would love to not have to worry about their financial situation and be the status quo "rich". But not all of us have that luxury in life. And I think it makes us appreciate what we have, and understand what we can do with it.

-Noah   

P.S. - My 500th post. I actually went and found another thread to put a post in before this one. Wanted my 500th to be something special.  Smile I think this is sufficient.

[Edited 2010-03-26 14:37:56]
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

WildcatYXU

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 12):
I think unless we actually have billionaires in this thread, we won't ever hear from anybody who thinks they are actually rich.

You don't have to be a bilinoaire to be rich. It all depends on the benchmarks. You only need a family income of $110000 per year to be among the richest 5% of the world.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

CanadianDC10

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:19 pm

And by comfortable life, I mean I have food on the table, clean water to drink, clear air to breathe, clothes on my back, and I am surrounded by amazing people who love me, and I live in a beautiful and safe country.

Quoting FX772LRF (Reply 17):
Woman.

hehehe, thanks Noah  

dxing

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm doing just fine. My family is healthy, my kids are smart (have to find those postmen and thank them someday), my wife and I get along great. My house is paid for as are my automobiles and motorcycle. I continue to put as much money as I can justify towards my retirement. I have the job that I strove for for several years and can see myself doing until I decide to retire. I am rich in the fact that I can fly just about anywhere in the world on a moments notice to meet up with friends. I have my own pool. I have met most of the goals I have set for myself in life.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Springbok747

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Speaking strictly in a financial sense..as a student, personally..I'm broke. I have about $50000 in student loans (HECS - for all the Aussies here)..but I don't have to start paying it back for another 2 years at least. My family is pretty well off, not super-rich or anything, but comfortable. Like CanadianDC10 said..I'm very lucky to have an incredible family and really good friends...so that way I'm a billionaire!
אני תומך בישראל

KevinL1011

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Quoting FX772LRF (Reply 17):
Woman

Holy Smoke!!!!   
   Sorry about that Monica!   

You're actually richer than a man as you can bring new life into this world.   
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

Centre

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 pm

If you think of it... Even a Million Dollars can't do much these days... It's a great deal of money, but to have a descent secure life, you still need more.
And believe me... It doesn't feel much different when you hit that mark  
And I'm someone who works 16 hours a day and sleeps at 4-5 am every night and wakes up at 9-10
I run a simple life and provide for a lot of people.

[Edited 2010-03-26 15:06:29]
I have cut 4 times, and it's still short.

PlymSpotter

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Emotionally I feel content - I have a great supportive family, I have a wonderful girlfriend and I'm really enjoying and doing well at University.

Financially I'm doing pretty good too - by student standards, which roughly translates as I've had a positive balance in my bank account (excluding overdraft) for the past four months continuously... the first time in about four years! Over all I'll have £30k in debt when I finish studying, and if I wasn't feeling emotionally satisfied with my educational progress then I'd be getting really worried.

My family are comfortable and I live at home. I can run lights, computers and phones without having to worry as it's all paid for by them - for which I consider myself very lucky. Despite this, I hate taking money - I'm only happy with being kept because in return I'm always doing things to help them out, like DIY and maintenance.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Fly2HMO

Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:43 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 18):
You only need a family income of $110000 per year

I know several people with six figure incomes and they certainly aren't rich by any means, not by US standards at least, and they're not all that frugal either.

The problem with this whole thread as you said is the lack of benchmark. I am insanely rich for Somalian standards of course. But a Saudi Arabian prince may beg to differ, however   

MCO2BRS

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:20 am

When speaking financially, I have had the best... err... worse of both worlds. I enjoyed an extremely privileged childhood, my family were quite wealthy by the most general of standards. Then it all went, every single penny, and overnight we became homeless. We are now lower-end middle class, I personally live pay-cheque to pay-cheque as do my parents. We have no desire to climb back to the dizzying heights we once achieved.

At 23, I now know what it means to have everything, and to have less than nothing. I know what its like to have my dreams handed to me on a silver platter, with a silver spoon on the side, and I also know what it means to work my ass off for a meagre pay-cheque that barely covers my rent - let alone anything else. It certainly gives you a different perspective on life, and the infamous power of money.

sccutler

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:34 am

Interesting topic.

And, MCO2BRS, great perspective.

I make a sound living, have my own business (I buy insurance for all of my employees, by the way), and own a 42 year-old airplane. No complaints, but I am far from rich.

And yet.

If I lost all of it tomorrow, had not one red cent to my name, I know I could come back, because I have been there before and know what it takes.

This is what has been lost - a significant proportion of the younger adults I meet today (when, for example, interviewing for hires) haven't the faintest clue what constitutes "work," or "responsibility."

It does not bode well for our future.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

SAS A340

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:30 am

When everything is paid off as the rent,car,food and other bills i have around $ 2000 left each month for "pocketmoney" so i guess i'm doing ok   but i would't call me rich.
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

ManuCH

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 am

Speaking in a financial sense, nobody posting in here can be defined "poor", because he has an Internet access - this means he can probably buy his own food every month. "Poor" is in a different league than "I can't afford to buy a new iPhone when I want to", if not only out of respect towards the really poor people out there.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:44 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 18):
You only need a family income of $110000 per year to be among the richest 5% of the world.

That would be most families I know in Norway.

My wife and I have a joint income of 900,000 NOK and debts of 2.6 million NOK, mostly in the house and cars. Some mutual funds, some savings and the house is worth more than out total debt, so we are doing ok.

fr8mech

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:49 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 29):
Speaking in a financial sense, nobody posting in here can be defined "poor", because he has an Internet access - this means he can probably buy his own food every month. "Poor" is in a different league than "I can't afford to buy a new iPhone when I want to", if not only out of respect towards the really poor people out there.

I'd be real careful with that definition. What is considered poor in the United States is vastly different from poor in some other nations.

Just because someone has an iPhone or internet access means nothing. People make stupid decisions everyday.

I just spoke to a friend of mine whose brother-in-law was foreclosed on. Yet he refused to part with 30 or so firearms that may have kept him in the house for another year or so. People make stupid decisions all the time.

ManuCH

Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 31):
I'd be real careful with that definition. What is considered poor in the United States is vastly different from poor in some other nations.

Just because someone has an iPhone or internet access means nothing. People make stupid decisions everyday.

That's actually an interesting discussion. So how would you define "poor", in a financial sense? Is someone making stupid decisions, and spending thousands of $$ in things he can't afford, actually poor if he goes through a foreclosure?

My definition of "poor" (financially) is when someone is unable to "get to the end of the month" with the money he has on his account, even if he tries. In other words, the person is unable to buy enough food or pay all the *necessary* bills.

Of course we could also discuss the definition of "necessary"...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

planewasted

Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:12 pm

I drive a crappy car
I have a small apartment
I have and earn little cash
I travel much
I have a lovely girlfriend

But I own my car to 100% and my apartment to 70%. Also I own a lot of stocks.
I'm not rich but happy and financially sound.  

fr8mech

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:32 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 32):
Of course we could also discuss the definition of "necessary"...

That's the question. If I can satisfy all my needs (food, water, shelter and clothing), am I poor? Or am I poor because I can't afford to keep up with my neighbors extravegant purchases?

Does my friend's idiot brother-in-law qualify as poor, even though he had the ability to forstall foreclosure, but chose not to?

Too me, poor in a financial/economic snese, is someone who is unable to meet his basic needs: food, shelter and clothing. If he has the ability to meet those needs, yet chooses not to, well then he is an idiot with assets.

But, then we have to add societal norms, pressures or mandates. Not to drag this healthcare debate into this, but is health care a basic need? Is it required for day-to-day survival? If you think so, then that gets added to the list. If not, then it is a luxury, or as I tell my Junior Achievment students, a Want.

rabenschlag

Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 34):
That's the question. If I can satisfy all my needs (food, water, shelter and clothing), am I poor? Or am I poor because I can't afford to keep up with my neighbors extravegant purchases?

Interesting list of needs. No need to f*ck or to be respected?

[Edited 2010-03-27 16:55:46]

ajd1992

Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:06 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 34):
Too me, poor in a financial/economic snese, is someone who is unable to meet his basic needs: food, shelter and clothing. If he has the ability to meet those needs, yet chooses not to, well then he is an idiot with assets.

But, then we have to add societal norms, pressures or mandates. Not to drag this healthcare debate into this, but is health care a basic need? Is it required for day-to-day survival? If you think so, then that gets added to the list. If not, then it is a luxury, or as I tell my Junior Achievment students, a Want.

I agree with the first part of this - if you can meet your basic needs then everything else is disposable income that you can waste. If you count bills as basic needs or not then that's your choice.

I personally think healthcare is a basic need, everybody needs to be fit and healthy. But then again, I come from a country totally free healthcare (barring dentists, stupidly) so that may sway my opinion. I don't think you should need to pay for healthcare (I mean, you can in this country too but you don't need to) but that's just my thought on it. I think it's a basic need.

captaink

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:12 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 7):
I am a college student, therefore I am financially poor in nature. But I am increasing my personal worth for each class I take...yeah, I'll think about myself like that and say I'm educationally rich.

Best post yet. I too am a student, so no need to explain. HAHA
Look Up

fr8mech

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:27 am

Quoting Rabenschlag (Reply 35):
No need to f*ck or to be respected?

Not in order to live. I guess that comes under self-actualization.

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 36):
If you count bills as basic needs or not then that's your choice.

In order for the bills to be counted as a need, in my opinion, they need to support one of the 3 needs I listed.

I don't think you should need to pay for healthcare
. I think it's a basic need.

By that logic, shouldn't food and shelter be provided also. I believe those are more pressing needs. Again, not a healthcare debate.

We're back to the subjective nature of the question...what is being poor?

kiwiinoz

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:05 am

I would say I'm rich. I earn in excess of US$250K per year in a low tax environment, have about 3 times that in cash or investments, with about 2 million in debt, but invested in stuff that is performing very well at the moment

But I don't have ambitions of trying to bank 10's of millions of dollars. Money is merely a vehicle for me to spend quality time with my family. A few more years of this and we will revert to something quite humble. This just allows me to have more choices available later, (ie staying home and looking after the kids, starting another career, perhaps some full time charity work)

I lead a great lifestyle and am very happy, however not because of the money, probably because of our approach to it. It's a means to an end, not an end in itself.

LOT767-300ER

Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:17 am

The question is, is this personal or family/household?

ltbewr

Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:55 am

As a line in a old Southside Johnny song says, "A rich man might be poor...if money is all he has".

Relative to many, I am financially 'rich', but I live quite modestly, I almost always pay my credit cards off each month. I had and still have enough reserves of cash that when I wasn't working full time for 18 months (Sept. 2006-Feb. 2008) that I could afford my apartment, my car, my health insurance (thank you COBRA laws), and other necessities during that time. I have a small family and a few friends and others who give me a lot of moral support to get through tough times and daily life. I have people around me who respect me and who benefit from my being around. My work has resonable hours, is moderating demanding and I make enough to pay for necessities and even a few dollars over to have a few small splurges. I try to maintain my health, to prevent long-term problems. I have more than enough to eat. I have some savings for now and retirement although I still need more my post-work life. I have traveled to many places in the USA and the world. I wouldn't make a deal with the devil for more money if I had to take a hit on my relative happieness.

kiwiandrew

Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:59 am

Definitely rich , I have friends , I have my health , I have my family and I just spent a few hours enjoying the company of one of my closest friends . The fact that I don't have much money , while inconvenient , does not make me poor .

[Edited 2010-03-27 21:19:33]

ajd1992

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:26 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 38):
In order for the bills to be counted as a need, in my opinion, they need to support one of the 3 needs I listed.

Would you list heating and electricity under shelter? I personally would, that's why I typed what I did.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 38):
By that logic, shouldn't food and shelter be provided also. I believe those are more pressing needs. Again, not a healthcare debate.

Food isn't paid for through taxes and shelter can be had for cheap provided you qualify for it (council based housing and depending on the benefits you receive you can have your rent etc basically paid for barring a percentage)

I wasn't trying to start a healthcare debate - I don't follow what Obama is doing because frankly I couldn't care less about it as it doesn't affect me but it was just a personal opinion from somebody who has completely subsidised medical help. I personally think it's important enough to be provided for free.

HAWK21M

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:18 am

Lets say in between.....But rich with happiness  
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

fr8mech

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:39 am

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 43):
Would you list heating and electricity under shelter? I personally would, that's why I typed what I did.

Depending on where you live, but for the most part, yes.

2707200X

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:46 am

I'm in the middle, I can afford a yearly vacation and go to a sit-down restaurant about every week but I drive a Nissan and shop at Target for most things and as well shop at Sears for clothes.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

ipodguy7

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:00 am

both parents are doctors, so I'd say until Obama's healthcare kicks in (with 40% paycuts to drs.) were rich. Combined annual ~$2mil
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

pdxtriple7

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:11 am

My family is well off, but it wasn't always that way. My dad grew up with a lot of money only to see bankruptcy in his 30s. Fortunately, he made a career switch that paid off. Because of this, I luckily don't have any student loans to pay off, but I'll never hear the end of how much my schooling cost. I've been able to build up a very nice cushion for a 21 year old by working several jobs while at college, and I landed a great job for next year that I can't wait to begin. I'll be completely on my own by my 22nd birthday, with a nice car and a nice apartment. I'm so thankful for and indebted to my friends and family.

[Edited 2010-03-28 00:30:22]

iairallie

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:46 am

Neither. I don't make a huge amount of money about 40k a yearish which in the US is modest. I am debt free I owe absolutely nothing, no car payment, no student loans, no credit card debt. I don't live paycheck to paycheck. I put away about half my pay in savings, investments and retirement so I have a fair amount saved up.

This will change a little (certainly my spending habits will have to change) when I have to quit work to go to law school in the fall but I'm fortunate my tuition will be covered for me and I have a 3 year old reliable fully paid for car. Depending on where I end up going to school rent and expenses might eat into the savings but I think I can manage without getting into debt if I spend cautiously and work hard during the summers. If I end up going to school in Florida I think I will buy a 2 bedroom condo and rent out the second room to cover the mortgage.

My basic philosophy don't spend it if you don't have it.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!