Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

AC_B777

RE: Poll: Are You Rich Or Poor?

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:26 pm

Quoting CanadianDC10 (Reply 8):
I am rich because I have my health, my family, friends, an education, and a comfortable life.

Amen to that!! I too am rich because I have a wonderful wife and 2 beautiful kids, good health and a decent life.
Financially, I would love to be making more, but my family are living a comfortable life on my salary. My wife is a stay at home mom, so I have to have an apartment in our house in order to help with the finances, but it's worth it to have my wife stay with the kids. We live in a nice new house in a good community and we are very comfortable.
We can't go out and get everything we would like to get and sometimes we have to make some sacrifices, but overall, we live a very good life and I am very blessed.
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

rabenschlag

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:37 pm

Relative poverty according to the WHO means that your income is 50% below the median income in your society. So for the US, a household with an annual income of 22.000 $ / year or below would have been considered poor in 2007 (median for 2007: about 44.000 $).

BigOrange

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:42 pm

Poor

As in officially bankrupt as of August 2009

IMissPiedmont

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:12 pm

I owe nobody money (except the IRS for a few more weeks) and can buy what I want and need. In worldwide terms I am filthy rich.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

sv7887

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:55 pm

Quoting iairallie (Reply 49):
Neither. I don't make a huge amount of money about 40k a yearish which in the US is modest. I am debt free I owe absolutely nothing, no car payment, no student loans, no credit card debt. I don't live paycheck to paycheck. I put away about half my pay in savings, investments and retirement so I have a fair amount saved up.

Damned smart of you. Good work!

In my case on my own right I'm probably middle class. Good salary 78K with about $10K in student loans left and a leased car, but no credit card debt or anything like that. No wife, kids, just me and I'm proud to be cheap as hell.

The home I live in was passed to me after my dad died and it is paid for.

My dad left me his entire estate when he passed so that's worth a lot more, but I don't take any money from it. I just donate part of the interest on the investments to charity. The rest I use to pay for my mom's medical expenses and stuff like that. Call me stupid, but that's his money and I think it should be applied to the things he believed in.

OA260

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:33 am

I would class myself as comfortable. Mortgage paid , have car paid, job pays well and more important I like it. I can travel alot and do the things I want to do. In the next few years I aim to go part time and have more time to myself.

Pellegrine

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:47 am

Wealth is in your mental state and in your health, not in your pocket.

There's plenty of mentally ill/unhealthy/crazy insanely wealthy people...money frequently can't buy a cure for what ails you.

You've never seen a Brinks truck follow a hearse.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

kiwiandrew

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:50 am

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 56):
You've never seen a Brinks truck follow a hearse.

rotfl  I have never heard that one before , I love it .

Reading back through the thread it is very interesting to see how some people define whether or not they are rich as being purely a question of financial wealth and some consider other criteria .

[Edited 2010-03-29 20:03:28]

Fly2HMO

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:00 am

Wealth is in your mental state

Well in that case im pretty broke as well   

At least I am very healthy, so far....

ogre727

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:57 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 18):
income of $110000 per year

Well, that depends... I make well over this figure... but this country aint cheap... I have a couple mortage loans, and credit cards are doing ok, but not clean. So I am ok, not poor, far from rich.
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

JJJ

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:58 am

I dropped a relatively well-paid job in order to set up a new business (more like buying a broke company and trying to relaunch it, actually) a few months ago so it's quite some time I don't have any regular salary.

If things turn out right I'll start receiving something from this new company after summer, so far I'm living off what I saved on my previous job while trying to cut some expenses whenever possible (I moved to a cheaper rent with my gf, which more than halved my rent and utility costs, for starters).

Thank heavens I did not embark on a mortgage and just paid rent when everyone was telling me it was a waste of money.

So, currently I'm in penny-pinching middle-class status.

iairallie

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:06 am

Wealth is in your mental state and in your health, not in your pocket.

There's plenty of mentally ill/unhealthy/crazy insanely wealthy people...money frequently can't buy a cure for what ails you.

I agree with that to an extent. There is only one way that money buys happiness the and that is through giving it away to causes you believe in (Arthur Brooks wrote a great book about the economics of happiness). Financial difficulties can make you miserable and stressed (I've been there). Money up to a certain point can buy you a small amount of happiness but once you have enough to meet your needs it no longer provides any additional happiness gains.

Being debt free with a small protective nest egg gives me a certain amount of contentment. Not having financial stress frees me up emotionally to better enjoy the things that are really important.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

FlyboyOz

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:32 am

I don't care about being rich or poor. I just want to have a good normal life like the rest of us. I have seen lots of rich people don't have happy life.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

mirrodie

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:19 am

Quoting CanadianDC10 (Reply 8):
I am rich because I have my health, my family, friends, an education, and a comfortable life.

Amen, same here. RIch in spirit amongst all else!

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 29):
"Poor" is in a different league than "I can't afford to buy a new iPhone when I want to", if not only out of respect towards the really poor people out there.

Quite true. We can talk but what meaning does it have without definition, nes pas?

For instance, the Medicaid program in the US should be geared toward low income families. Yet, I know of several instances of folks on Medicaid riding around in Mercedes Benz's and chatting up on iPhones.
Maybe they aren't as poor as one thinks.

Interesting read nonetheless.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

AirStairs

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:08 am

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 47):
both parents are doctors, so I'd say until Obama's healthcare kicks in (with 40% paycuts to drs.) were rich. Combined annual ~$2mil

Exactly the same situation, although dad, while still practicing, has also moved into the corporate world heading up a medical services company so that will take some of the sting out. Because of their hard work, I am lucky to be free of student debt, able to pay my credit card in full every month, travel extensively, eat well and have never had to miss out on an education or career opportunity because of money. I honor the support they have given me and now put in the same hard work to make myself independently successful.

My biggest motivation to make lots, besides maintaining the standard of living I'm used to and the general desire to kick ass is to have access to some of the great experiences my parents were able to share with me. I don't remember "things" as much as barge cruising down the Thames, hiking to temples in Siem Reap, helicoptering over the Great Barrier Reef, zipping through the Costa Rican rainforest and having the opportunity to meet some truly interesting people around the world. Even with all of this, my family has gone through plenty of rough patches. Money fixes nothing if you can't be an authentic person.