Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

LOT767-300ER

RE: The Great New/Used Controversy

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:42 am

Just like to point out that the 3800 Vortec in a 92' Park Avenue would not be the same one as in a later model Buick/Pontiac.

The Regal GS never had the same engine as those early Park Avenues which had a Series I Vortec 3800. I only say this because the Series II supercharged had +35/+40hp depending on the model and are significantly faster over the Series I supercharged V6s.

All those Buicks dont do justice to the Buick Regal GNX, a car that to this day is as mythical as a Phoenix. I once saw one and I almost confused it with the 2nd coming of Jesus...which isnt completely crazy because you are bound to see Jesus before you see a GNX on the street.

flanker

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:47 am

Wish i can get my hands on a nice 1991 Olds Toronado Trofeo. My mom used to have one and it was a superb car.

Also a 96 Aurora.. so comfy and has plenty of go!

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:58 pm

My opinion on new versus used:

Whichever works for you. Do what you want/need to do to make yourself happy, using whatever reasoning you choose.

Personally, I just bought my first new car a few weeks ago. I decided to go new, largely because I'm not sure I'll have the opportunity to buy a new car again for awhile. It was an interesting experience, and while I'm not sure I want to do it again (I hate haggling), I'm very happy with the car.

Of course, it was made a lot easier by the fact that I pretty much knew what I wanted.

I'd bought my previous car used, but I bought it from my dad. Hence, I knew it had been treated well and maintained appropriately. I had to put some money into it, but nothing outrageous.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 29):
Duh. But my point is, once you already built your wealth, and can afford to buy pretty much any car out there, then why the stinginess?

Why not?

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 35):
I just find it weird that somebody that could easily afford a Rolls-Royce,Maybach or a even a relatively "cheaper" S-class, 760iL etc just rather settle with a crummy barge like a Town Car

Why?

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 35):
Of course some may have some legit reasons, like to keep an understated image due to safety and what not.

Or some may really just not give a rat's @ss.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 40):
Hey, I'm a 65 year old grandfather. From this expert perch I can tell you that ANY 70 year old that can routinely get in and out of a 'Vette or any other low slung car deserves to drive one as fast or slow as they want.

Haha. I was at a Lotus showroom when I was buying my car a few weeks ago (I wasn't buying a Lotus  ), and the dealer told me to try and get in and out of one.

Suffice it to say that I will not be buying a Lotus anytime soon. And I'm only 28 years old.

Quoting A332 (Reply 9):
Vehicles are for getting from point A to point B. For most people, they are a terrible investment and a horrific waste of money, but they are often necessary, again, to move from point A to point B.

The less you have to spend to get from A to B, the better.

To many people, vehicles are more than just tools for getting from point A to point B. Speaking for myself, after driving a Civic for 4 years, I wanted something that had some more power, and was a bit more fun to drive. Did I need it? Certainly not. But I also don't need 4 guitars, or a drum kit, or a DSLR camera.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Superfly

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 52):
But I also don't need 4 guitars, or a drum kit, or a DSLR camera.

Oh yes you do!   
The 4 guitars have their own distinct tones. Your DSLR camera is needed because they take better pictures than a cheap point & shoot camera.
Bring back the Concorde

sv7887

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Quoting Ltbewr (Reply 27):
New also works best if it is the only car you have, have to absolutly have to have reliabiltiy, plan to keep it for years (I plan to keep my Mazda for at least 6-7 years) and can afford it paying cash or mostly in cash thus saving on interest costs.

That's what my dad used to do. He liked to buy luxury cars brand new and just hold on to them. He had bought a few CPO (Certified Used) cars that just had too many issues. You should see the condition a lot of them are in when they're traded back, just absolutely trashed in some cases.

That said, I tend to lease German cars because you get a very good deal, especially late in the model cycle. I have a '09 E Class that I leased through Mercedes Financial and they charge about 2% on the amount financed, and I got 9% off MSRP to begin with. They also inflate the residuals to make it a better deal to lease. These cars lose far too much money to justify buying new unless you really have money to burn.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 30):
Stingy? You must know alot of Arabs and Indians....

Hahaha. The stereotype is definitely true. I'm Indian and take pride in being cheap. My philosophy is that you can never have too much money in the bank for rainy days.

Superfly

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:08 pm

Quoting sv7887 (Reply 54):
I tend to lease....

The problem with leasing is mileage caps that a lot of lease plans have. That only works when you don't drive that much.
Bring back the Concorde

sv7887

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 55):
The problem with leasing is mileage caps that a lot of lease plans have. That only works when you don't drive that much.

You're right. Anything beyond 15K is not worth it. Most advertised leases usually offer 10-12K a year. I actually have a low mileage lease (7,500 miles a year) because I don't drive that much, and I still have my father's S Class that I drive every now and then to keep the battery charged.

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 53):
Oh yes you do!

Well, you won't get any argument from me!

Quoting Superfly (Reply 53):
The 4 guitars have their own distinct tones

Especially since one's an acoustic, one's a semi-hollow, and one's currently out of service!

I actually did ponder the whole new/used car thing for awhile before I bought new. Only time will tell if it was a good decision...but with 0% APR, I'm pretty happy.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

JoeCanuck

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 pm

2nd or 3rd year leaseback is the best bang for the buck. There are very strict return parameters on most vehicle leases which are exceeded at the lease holders peril.

They usually still have the bulk of their warranty, have already taken the biggest hit on depreciation and usually have a verifiable service record.
What the...?

Fly2HMO

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Why?
Why not?

Because if I had enough money (like some certainly do) to easily afford a Rolls-Royce without breaking a sweat, I sure as hell wouldn't settle for a freaking Town Car.   

But as you said:

Or some may really just not give a rat's @ss.

A332

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Of all the wealthy people I know, all of them are either very greedy or very stingy, or both. I just don't get those attitudes.

That's probably why they are loaded. Most people who obtain mass amounts of wealth are not born into it. Consumers typically stay poor and people who are smart with their money end up wealthy.

That's how it works.

I have lots of money in the bank too... why should I spend it? So I can impress people like you and others I don't know/like with depreciating assets?

Yeah, no thanks.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Superfly

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 60):
That's probably why they are loaded. Most people who obtain mass amounts of wealth are not born into it. Consumers typically stay poor and people who are smart with their money end up wealthy.

In the very wealthy neighborhoods here in San Francisco, you'll see a lot of used 10-20 year old Jaguars, Buicks, Mercurys, Mercedes, Volvos and Cadillac.
Go out to the rough neighborhoods or the newer sub-prime developments out in the burbs and you'll see a lot of brand new cars. Lots of new Cadillac and BMWs.
Bring back the Concorde

LOT767-300ER

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Quoting sv7887 (Reply 54):
Hahaha. The stereotype is definitely true. I'm Indian and take pride in being cheap. My philosophy is that you can never have too much money in the bank for rainy days.

Its also annoying when taken to an extreme level. Ive known people from this general region of the world that I stopped being friends with because they were too cheap to spend money on normal things and you could not even go out with them.

ACDC8

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:28 pm

I've bought used, I've bought new I have no problem with either, all depending on where I can get the most for my money and that isn't always used as some people like to believe.

One thing I'll never buy though is a rental car fleet return ... I worked in the rental industry long enough to see what people put those cars through ... and not just customers either.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

aa757first

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 pm

Depends, to me, mostly on the price point. If you're looking for a $20k car, you'd be silly to buy new when you could get such an upgrade by buying a three year old car with 30,000 miles. At around $35k, it probably makes sense to start looking at new cars.

It also depends on the person. If you're a point A to point B person, used cars are definitely a better value. If you're someone that wants to have a really customized car with the latest stuff, obviously new makes more sense.

ScarletHarlot

Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:16 pm

Of all the wealthy people I know, all of them are either very greedy or very stingy, or both. I just don't get those attitudes.
Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 33):
I'd rather drive a modest car that's paid for and enjoy life (travel etc) instead of working like a dog to support some phony illusion of "wealth" or some other keep up with the Jones' bull****.
Quoting A332 (Reply 60):

That's how it works.

I have lots of money in the bank too... why should I spend it? So I can impress people like you and others I don't know/like with depreciating assets?

Yeah, no thanks.

I think if you grow up without money, and then end up with money, there are two ways things can go: you can either say "I wasn't able to have things growing up, now I can, so I will" and spend your money on toys and a flash lifestyle, or you can say "I never want to be poor again" and give yourself a good cushion so that if times get tough you have reserves to draw on and do your best to spend your money as wisely as possible. Mr. Harlot and I fall into the second category. We have some very nice things but we are very aware of the difference between needs and wants and we almost never spend more money on things than we have to. This gives us the luxury of having a generous reserve so that if something unexpected comes up, we can deal with it. For example, I just quit my job on Monday and I have nothing lined up. What a wonderful luxury to be able to say "I quit" when work becomes untenable. We have the reserves for something like this because we are smart with our money.

Back on topic...our last two cars have been used. Both were very lightly used and were less than a year old. My next car will be used. In 2012 or so I will replace my 2002 M-B CLK 55 with a 2008-2009 M-B E55. We will pay cash for it and will pay likely less than half the price of a new one and get one heck of a car. Why would I pay more than I have to?
But that was when I ruled the world

DL_Mech

Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 50):
All those Buicks dont do justice to the Buick Regal GNX, a car that to this day is as mythical as a Phoenix. I once saw one and I almost confused it with the 2nd coming of Jesus...which isnt completely crazy because you are bound to see Jesus before you see a GNX on the street.

I remember driving by a Buick dealer in the Chicago 'burbs and seeing three GNX's parked out front. This was in addition to several Grand Nationals for sale. I seriously snapped my neck when I saw that sight.....The only thing that topped that is when I saw a '69 Charger Daytona towing another '69 Charger Daytona on a trailer down an Indiana highway.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 1):
in all seriousness, in my eyes a new car is not an unnecessary luxury but rather a sound investment, if done properly.

Investments, by definition, are things you expect to appreciate in value. Cars - for the most part - absolutely do NOT do that. So calling a car an investment isn't exactly accurate.

Having said that....

My opinion on new versus used:

Whichever works for you. Do what you want/need to do to make yourself happy, using whatever reasoning you choose

The same can be said for buying vs. leasing as well.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Superfly

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:12 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 50):
the Buick Regal GNX, a car that to this day is as mythical as a Phoenix.

Not a good analogy.   
The Pontiac Phoenix was nothing special. Those aerodeck A-bodies of the late 1970s were slow and uncomfortable. The following X-body in the early 1980s were the most recalled General Motors car to date.
I would not compare the Buick GNX to a Pontiac Phoenix.
Bring back the Concorde