Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stasisLAX
Topic Author

First Chevy Volt Produced By General Motors

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:32 am

General Motors's Detroit-Hamtramck plant assembled its first Chevy Volt earlier this week, several months ahead of the car's planned public launch in November. The production of the Volt will continue over the coming months as GM tests the assembly line to find potential issues before the vehicle launch.

The Chevy Volt that rolled off of the Detroit-Hamtramck line on Monday – the first Volt to do so – was intended to be a manufacturing-validation vehicle. The Chevy Volts that are destined for dealership showrooms are not expected to begin production until close to the November launch date, according to a GM spokesperson.

Source: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...+Chevrolet+Volt+hits+assembly+line
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Fly2HMO

RE: First Chevy Volt Produced By General Motors

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 am

Well at least it doesn't want to make me vomit when I see it unlike the hybrids.

Should be interesting to see how this thing sells, or doesn't.

StuckInCA

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 am

While I'm not sure that I'm a fan of this car, I'm sure it's an exciting time for the engineers and line workers. I know I'm excited when stuff I design gets a first run!

cws818

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:53 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 1):
Well at least it doesn't want to make me vomit when I see it unlike the hybrids.

All hybrids make you want to vomit?
volgende halte...Station Hollands Spoor

asuflyer05

Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:44 am

The Nissan Leaf pricing and information debuted this week. $32k minus $7,500 tax credit. Certain states are offering an additional $5k back as well. Not a bad deal.

falstaff

Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:03 am

Quoting asuflyer05 (Reply 4):
The Nissan Leaf

A car with the name Leaf makes me not want to buy one. It just sounds wimpy.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 1):

Toyota and Honda have ugly Hybrids. Honda found that hybrid snobs like the odd look so people will know they are driving a hybrid.

I like the Ford Hybrids. I drove a Mercury Milan Hybrid last week and I was impressed. I tooled around Dearborn in it and I liked it.

I am looking forward to seeing these cars on the road and learning more about servicing them.

Quoting stasisLAX (Thread starter):
Detroit-Hamtramck line on Monday –

One of my student's fathers works on that line. He is very excited about building somthing so new and exciting.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Inbound

Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:57 am

Does anyone know if the Volt will be available for a right-hand-drive market in the near or distant future?
Maintain own separation with terrain!

N328KF

Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Quoting Inbound (Reply 6):
Does anyone know if the Volt will be available for a right-hand-drive market in the near or distant future?

It will be sold in RHD markets as the Vauxhall Ampera.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

TUNisia

Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:48 pm

That rubber lip going around the very bottom of the front bumper looks like it's going to get banged up quite a bit entering into parking lots and plazas with slightly steep grades. Poor design?
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

asuflyer05

Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:02 am

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 8):
That rubber lip going around the very bottom of the front bumper looks like it's going to get banged up quite a bit entering into parking lots and plazas with slightly steep grades. Poor design?

I would venture to guess it is easily and inexpensively replaceable.

falstaff

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:11 am

it doesn't look any different than the rubber stuff on the bottom of most modern cars.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

BMI727

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:59 am

The car just requires an ugly piece of cheap plastic, you know, for the sake of GM tradition.   

Quoting falstaff (Reply 5):
Toyota and Honda have ugly Hybrids. Honda found that hybrid snobs like the odd look so people will know they are driving a hybrid.

Well what good is a hybrid if other people can't see that it is a hybrid? You might as well be driving a diesel in that case.   
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?