Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Hangups Of An Obsessive Recycler

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:41 pm

I am cleaning my apartment today. I notice many empty containers have piled up because I have not "readied" them for recycling yet.

In the past, I've always made sure that empty plastic containers were totally empty, and thoroughly rinsed, before placing them in the recycling bin. But this thoroughness isn't always easy to achieve.

For instance, those "stand-up" tubes, like the kind Neutrogena aftershave and facial cleansers come in. Biore makes one that's transparent, so I can see even after it's been standing on my shower shelf for a week, that there's drops of cleanser still sticking in various locales within the tube. (Lately I've been just cutting the damn tubes in half in order to achieve maximum rinsedness, but still...)

For shampoo, shower gel, liquid soap, and laundry soap & Clorox 2, I just invert the bottle and let it stand until Three Midnights have passed (Three Midnights sounds properly ritualistic) and then I'm comfortable that the bottle is as drained as it can be.

But then there's those opaque bottles that moisturizing lotion comes in. Not easy to cut in half; not possible to see inside, and the lotion is so much more viscous than the soapy stuff, that I just KNOW there's still clumps left in there. I am thinking of buying a SuperSoaker squirt gun to aim in there and just power-wash the leftover lotion out of there.

People tell me that I shouldn't worry and I should just toss the emptyish bottle into recycling. But seriously! When they melt it down, isn't there going to be leftover lotion in there, corrupting the melt? Or at least getting trapped in the newborn plastic...and maybe then the new plastic won't be as strong or as sterile as it's thought to be.

I have similar obsessions about those plastic clamshells that salads come in (I loves me a Caprese salad from Bristol Farms; have one every night and feel great about all the fiber and vitamamins I'm putting in me   ). Salad dressing corrupting the melt!

Anyway...I thought maybe the science types in this here forum could explain to me either a)why it's safe to put leftover Jergens Age-Defying lotion into recycling, or b)some mechanically ingenious way to achieve thorough rinsage of these sturdy, opaque containers.

Obsessive fellow, Airstud is...
Pancakes are delicious.

Fly2HMO

RE: Hangups Of An Obsessive Recycler

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
But seriously! When they melt it down, isn't there going to be leftover lotion in there, corrupting the melt?

No. The plastics are "washed" one way or another. Recycling companies know its impossible to have 100% clean recyclables and they have their own methods of purifying and cleansing the stuff before it gets processed.

So I hate to break it to you but you're only giving yourself more work and stress for no reason.

Obsessive fellow, Airstud is...

You, sir, need to go see a shrink     

Go3Team

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:37 pm

Me, I just put my recyclables in this container:

And these guys come pick them up:
Yay Pudding!

gatorfan

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 pm

clean water is a far more limited resource. Using it to clean plastics that will again be cleaned at the recycler is a net waste.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:55 pm

People tell me that I shouldn't worry and I should just toss the emptyish bottle into recycling.

Why not just toss the stuff in the trash. If recycling did any good the trash people would do the sourting and make a profit off of the recycled trash.

flood

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:05 pm

You're going through all this extensive effort in the name of recycling, yet you purchase all your salads in plastic clamshells and are considering to purchase a plastic super-soaker just to clean the bottles? There's a disconnect here, and you're probably wasting a considerable amount of water in the process.

Plastics are sorted, shredded, and cleaned at the plant. I'd liken your efforts to thoroughly washing your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.

desertjets

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 4):
If recycling did any good the trash people would do the sourting and make a profit off of the recycled trash.

The municipalities/companies that handle residential recycling pretty much do this already. Most everything is centrally sorted and what is recycled has market value. Stuff that doesn't have any value is generally on the "not recyclable" list.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

fr8mech

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:27 pm

I used to think like you, but then thought about it.

The water used to wash the containers goes to waste.
Your effort could be used elsewhere.
The recycler assures the process is not corrupted.

Quoting 474218 (Reply 4):
If recycling did any good the trash people would do the sourting and make a profit off of the recycled trash.

Because sorting after the fact is probably not cost efficient. But, if the product is sorted at the source...well, then you may have something.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 7):
Because sorting after the fact is probably not cost efficient. But, if the product is sorted at the source...well, then you may have something.

Exactly my point. If recycling was cost effective they would recycle after the fact. But since it is not cost effective to sort after the fact they want the user to do the work for them. I choose not to recycle never have and never will. If someone wants my plastic bottle or aluminum can they can fish through the rest of my trash and get it.

ER757

Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Quoting flood (Reply 5):
I'd liken your efforts to thoroughly washing your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.

Ha - I know people who do that - drives me insane!!

To the OP - not sure that much of what you have there is recyclable anyhow. For plastics, most places only take #1 and #2. Those lotion tubes don't qualify.

Quoting 474218 (Reply 8):
I choose not to recycle never have and never will.

Nice of you to keep yourself open to a change of habits in the future. This practice makes you feel good?   

Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:12 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 9):
Nice of you to keep yourself open to a change of habits in the future. This practice makes you feel good?

Recycling is not a "habit" its another ploy by the liberial establishment to make people think they are doing somehing good when in reality recyclying does not make a difference in anyones life. Its like driving a hybrid car or banning transfats, meaningless nonsense, do it if you want to but don't force it other people.

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:33 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 10):
Recycling is not a "habit" its another ploy by the liberial establishment to make people think they are doing somehing good when in reality recyclying does not make a difference in anyones life. Its like driving a hybrid car or banning transfats, meaningless nonsense, do it if you want to but don't force it other people.

Agreed. Well, except for the liberal conspiracy theory part  

But I don't go out of my way to recycle, ever. My school had a recycling program in the dorms and that didn't last long at all. It was idiotic. You could only put certain types of plastics and certain types of papers, and the ones you could were less than 10% of what I consumed. It was extremely restrictive. I wasn't gonna sort through all my junk to see what I could recycle or not according to their long list. Had they just said "paper here" or "plastic here" it would have been so much easier. Heck the recycling companies sort the stuff themselves anyways. It's redundant.  

BMI727

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:57 am

That is a bit overboard.

But I just don't care. If I'm going to throw away a plastic bottle and I find a trash can first, guess where it's going. I'm especially not going to recycle if they want me to do extra work like removing the label.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

andz

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:40 am

I separate paper because the recyclers drop a bag at my house and when they collect it they leave another one. Everything else goes in the bin.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

AverageUser

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Here's what I do

Glass bottles with refund --> shops (wine, beer, sodas etc)
Plastic bottles with refund --> shops (beverages)
Drink Cans with refund --> shops
Drink Cans without refund --> shops
Other plastic bottles --> personal incineration
Glass container items --> local city-run bins

Recyclable Paper --> housing company bin (for 26 houses)
Recyclable Cardboad (also with aluminium lining) --> housing company bin (for 26 houses)
Other cardboard items --> personal incineration

All plastic trash save PVC, polystyrene --> personal incineration

Biodegradable items --> housing company bin (for 26 houses) [lawfully required, city will collect and use methane]
-animal fat rich items I usually end up incinerating
(We are not allowed to use garbage disposers in this country, but methane from the waste will be collected and used in the wastewater treatment facility).
Unsorted waste --> housing company bin (for 26 houses) [lawfully required, city will collect and use methane]

ALL Metal objects, small appliances -->: local city-run bin
Large appliances, electronics, pieces of machinery, window glass --> city-run recycling centre (or local collections once a year)
Toxic substances --> city-run recycling centre (or local collections once a year)

Soil, concrete, sundry bulky items (mattresses etc) --> city landfill
Gardening --> compost or incineration.

What I have left in "unsorted waste" is the cats' plastic-over-foil food packages (but I could start rinsing them over a sieve), PS, PVC plastics and very little else. I'm big fan of incineration, as I'd heat up the sauna stove almost every day in any case, often using scrap wood. I even incirate items such as dustbags - a fiery death to dustmen.

[Edited 2010-04-03 07:11:55]

ER757

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Recycling is not a "habit" its another ploy by the liberial establishment

Do you have a supply of tin foil hats too?
It's certainly your perogative not to recycle, to each his own. I just don't understand your attitude and why you feel that way. Is it really that much of an effort to put your cans and bottles in a separate bin? Whatever....

mayor

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:33 pm

I have no problems with putting recyclables and trash in separate containers. Matter of fact, I wish the list of what they recycled was more extensive in our program. It is rather rudimentary. All the recyclables go into a separate, blue can, for them to pickup and it all gets separated by them, later.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

idealstandard

Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Oh dear.

Its this kind of unfortunate belief that gives your country the bad name it has worldwide, one of lack of care and laziness.

Fair enough if your council doesn't give you the facilities, theres no reason you SHOULD go out of your way to do it, but if you have the facility and you're not doing it, then there is something wrong with you.

Not really sure what you mean about recycling not making a difference? Its not cost effective in many areas and on many products, but its less wasteful and considerably less damaging to the environment and for those reasons it is quite often subsidised (well, at least by forward thinking governments).

Your anti-leftist rant though is utter trash.

OA260

Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:06 pm

We have two bins one Black for general waste and one Green for recycling. We get two weeks of black bin collection then the third is Green bin collection. We pay €196/$264/£174 every six months.

mayor

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Quoting oa260 (Reply 18):
We pay €196/$264/£174 every six months.

We pay about $43 a month, but that also includes sewer and water service.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

OA260

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:47 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 19):
but that also includes sewer and water service.

They have been threatening that also on top of these bin charges ! Its getting too much.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 19):
We pay about $43 a month, but that also includes sewer and water service.

I pay $52 a quarter ($208) a year for trash pick-up and all trash goes in one rolling trash container. My trash is picked up by a private company and there are many different companies to choose from.

My daughter lives about 10 miles from me in an incorporated city, she pays $40 a month ($480 a year) for trash pick-up and must recycle, seperate containers for household trash, aluminum cans and plastics. Her trash pick-ups is done by a city approved company and she has no options. She can even be fined if she does not have trash pick-up service. Just another example of ineffective big liberal government.

mayor

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 21):
must recycle, seperate containers for household trash, aluminum cans and plastics.

We don't have to recycle, but we choose to. Also, it doesn't cost extra.

I've often worried that I would injure myself while throwing something in the recycle bin instead of the trash bin, but it hasn't happened yet.   It also takes 2-3 seconds longer to do. Whatever could I do with the time I would save if I didn't recycle.  

Considering you think everything is a "liberal" conspiracy, you give the rest of us genuine independents and conservatives a bad name.

AverageUser

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 21):
She can even be fined if she does not have trash pick-up service. Just another example of ineffective big liberal government.

And that was dictated by the big government -- I think not, it's a local decision, or inform me.

mayor

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 23):
She can even be fined if she does not have trash pick-up service. Just another example of ineffective big liberal government.

And that was dictated by the big government -- I think not, it's a local decision, or inform me.

I'm guessing he would rather that she had NO trash pickup and it just piled up, eh?

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 22):
Considering you think everything is a "liberal" conspiracy, you give the rest of us genuine independents and conservatives a bad name.

As Gil Stratton said "Time to call'em as I see'em".

mayor

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:32 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 25):
As Gil Stratton said "Time to call'em as I see'em".

Perhaps it's time for an eye exam, huh?

ronglimeng

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 pm

I enjoyed reading about the opening poster's particular recycling obsession.

My own one is needing to remove the labels off any glass jars we recycle. Sometimes it is a long job to soak and scrap off the paper to leave a clear glass container. It drives my wife (the dish dryer) crazy!

We are very glad to have the option to recycle and minimise solid waste generated from our home. I'd even be willing to segregate our waste further if necessary.

I just wish our city had a yard where we could take stuff we don't want that is still good and let it get picked up for free by anybody who could use it. I've done some dumpster-diving in my time. One man's junk is often another man's treasure.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 24):
I'm guessing he would rather that she had NO trash pickup and it just piled up, eh?

Did I say that? I am pointing out when you let government get involved with someting as simple as picking up your trash and putting it in a land fill, it becomes "more complicated" and "costs more".

Quoting mayor (Reply 26):

"When they came for the Jews, I did nothing......."

AverageUser

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:28 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 28):
am pointing out when you let government get involved with someting as simple as picking up your trash and putting it in a land fill, it becomes "more complicated" and "costs more".

You did not actually respond to my asking whether that was a "big government" or an entirely local directive?

mayor

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:37 pm

"When they came for the Jews, I did nothing......."

Don't tell me you're actually equating the Holocaust with trash pickup? Really???

adh214

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:41 pm

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 27):
My own one is needing to remove the labels off any glass jars we recycle. Sometimes it is a long job to soak and scrap off the paper to leave a clear glass container. It drives my wife (the dish dryer) crazy!

It is not necessary to remove labels from glass bottles. When recycled, the glass is melted to 2000F. Any label will quick burn away leaving pure glass. If they can make sand into glass, I don't think a little label is going to muck up the works.

Please note, if your local recycler insists on removing the labels then I defer to them.

Andrew

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 30):
Don't tell me you're actually equating the Holocaust with trash pickup? Really???

No, actually I was responding to your replys:

ER757

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:51 pm

when you let government get involved with someting as simple as picking up your trash and putting it in a land fill, it becomes "more complicated" and "costs more".

So, who exactly SHOULD set up trash collection then? Should there be five or six companies driving trucks up and down each street picking up only the trash for the people who bought the services from their company?
Government should co-ordinate some things, such as public services. I'll put trash collection down as one of those things, thank you.

waterpolodan

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:19 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 30):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Quoting ER757 (Reply 33):

So, who exactly SHOULD set up trash collection then? Should there be five or six companies driving trucks up and down each street picking up only the trash for the people who bought the services from their company?
Government should co-ordinate some things, such as public services. I'll put trash collection down as one of those things, thank you.

Indeed. All the people saying that recycling is a liberal tactic meant to give all of us a feel good smile while wasting all sorts of time, money, and resources don't have a basic understanding of environmental economics. We can all agree that plastic waste in excess is bad. It's unsightly, lots of it ends up in the ocean killing marine life and sullying the environment, and burning it releases all sorts of nasty toxins into the atmosphere. In economic terms, plastic waste is a negative externality. The markets at large will not correct such externalities, as it is not an economically efficient outcome to worry about a tarnished environment and toxins polluting our water supplies. In such circumstances, the government needs to become involved and attach some sort of value to the preservation of the environment so that the market encourages companies through subsidies or tax breaks or whatnot to recycle plastic wastes. All well and good in theory, but obviously the issue of attaching a specific value to environmental damage is difficult, and there's the extra hurdle of companies being resistant to change as the only people who benefit in a monetary sense from such policy are the recycling plants, everyone else faces increased costs. With the system that we have now, there are major failures as the government hasn't done a good enough job of making recycling an economically viable proposition, but to do so would require some serious changes that most people aren't prepared to make, so at this point it is indeed more wasteful in overall cost to recycle than not to. I've also heard from someone that works in the recycling center here in Miami-Dade county that at this point so few manufacturers are interested in paying the inflated prices for recycled plastics that most of what we throw into our recycling bins here in Miami ends up in landfills anyway, despite our best sorting, cleansing, and de-labeling efforts  . I'm no policy maker, but I've always found environmental economics pretty fascinating, and if anyone wants to do any more reading here's an interesting article on this very subject-

http://www.lurj.org/article.php/vol3n2/plastic.xml

(yes, it's an undergraduate essay, but it covers the basics from an economist's perspective, and there are plenty of more thorough sources from higher levels that tell the same story)

mayor

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:26 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 32):
No, actually I was responding to your replys:

When you said "I call 'em as I see 'em" and I said it was time for an eye exam, I was referring to the possibility that you don't see " 'em" as clearly as you should.

Using your logic about trash pickup and recycling being a "liberal" conspiracy, I suppose that firefighters, police, sewer & water, etc. should all be in private hands and go to the lowest bidder, huh?

iowaman

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:09 am

If recycling was cost effective they would recycle after the fact. But since it is not cost effective to sort after the fact they want the user to do the work for them. I choose not to recycle never have and never will. If someone wants my plastic bottle or aluminum can they can fish through the rest of my trash and get it.

So keeping metals and plastics, which are filling up landfills for decades (especially metals) isn't good? How about in a couple generations when aluminum and steal are in higher demand but more difficult and costly to obtain?

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 am

Most people on here know I'm one of the more conservative members on this board, yet I go out of my way to recycle. Our school has an Aluminum/Plastic/Paper recycling drop box in the student center and I don't mind carrying my empty pop bottle an extra two minutes to put it there instead of the garbage can. At my apartment complex, our recycle bins are right next to the garbage dumpster. The amount of "extra" time it takes me to both throw the recyclable items in a separate bag and then throw that bag in the designated recycle container is negligible (I don't even have to sort them at the apartment complex).

As for why I recycle, I do it because our natural resources are limited. There is only so much material - the biggest example is oil. I've never bought into the "Global Warming" argument, but I support the "green technologies" from the standpoint of getting us off of oil because sooner or later, the pumps will run dry. We do need alternative energy sources. The same applies to our other natural non-renewable resources. Just because the government or some garbage companies "don't do anything about it" doesn't mean it isn't or can't or won't become a problem. "Conservation" should not be a "liberal" or "conservative" thing. It should be a mankind thing.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

BMI727

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:24 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 33):
Should there be five or six companies driving trucks up and down each street picking up only the trash for the people who bought the services from their company?

That used to be the way it was in my town, though most people used one of two or three companies. Eventually the city got worried about streets being damaged by the trucks and proposed one trash pickup for all residences and it passed without any trouble. Seems like a dumb thing for people to get worked up about.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:04 am

Not just being good for the environment and saving resources, recycling makes me save quite a few €€€ as well.
To get an idea how the waste collection system is being set up in the county I live in:
Every household has to have a contract with the county´s waste collection service (it might sound authoritarian, but I´ve seen in Ireland what happens if you don´t have such a rule in place and make waste collection optional: Many people want to save the € 100-200 a year and just dump their gash bags somewhere in the countryside).
This service provides two wheely bins per household. One is divided internally with a wall and has a lid blue on one side and yellow on the other one. This is the bin for recycleable waste, the blue compartment is for paper and cardboard, while the other (yellow) compartment is for packaging waste (metals, plastics). Collection happens every two weeks and is for free, since the recycleable materials are being reused and sold on the market.
The other, grey, bin is for leftover (non-recycleable) waste. Again the waste collection company offers to collect every two weeks, but they charge for it. There are twelve collections included in the basic yearly charge, any additional collection will be billed to the customer (the bin has a serial number printed on it, which is being read by a reader on the collection truck when it is being emptied).
Then there exists a bottle bank for glass just down the road in my village. Again use is for free.
Since I have a garden, all uncooked vegetable waste (stuff which won´t smell or attract rats) goes into my compost box to become fertilizer.
In winter I also burn quite a bit of paper and cardboard in my stove as an additional heat source for the house.
Then we have a system for collecting re-useable bottles with a deposit on them (government-mandated against the manufacturer´s wishes because there were too many empty bottles being thrown into the landscape).
BTW, we don´t have to clean the recycleables (they do a more efficient job in the recycling factory), but I rinse the pots anyway because I don´t want my waste bin to stink.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Airstud
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 39):

*[email protected] efficient Germans....
Pancakes are delicious.

mayor

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Exactly my point. If recycling was cost effective they would recycle after the fact. But since it is not cost effective to sort after the fact they want the user to do the work for them.

Where I live, they do. All we have to do is separate the trash from the recyclables. It's really not that difficult to do...only takes a couple of seconds. Then they separate the different types of recycled materials at the plant.