Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

oly720man
Topic Author

If You're Fighting In A Country That Has Mosques..

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:17 pm

The Ministry of Defence has apologised after it emerged replica mosques were being used by the British Army on a North Yorkshire firing range.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/8609650.stm

I expect that this is called something like situational acclimatisation where you're trained for the environment you're going to be working in..... a Muslim country that has mosques... and the bad guys may be somewhere near those mosques.

Or does someone have a warped sense of humour?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

TheCommodore

RE: If You're Fighting In A Country That Has Mosques..

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I see no need for an apology.

The army is/was only trying to make it look like a more realistic environment for the troops to train in.

Whats the big deal !   
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

casinterest

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 1):
The army is/was only trying to make it look like a more realistic environment for the troops to train in.

Whats the big deal !

Good thing they didn't have pictures of Mohammed on them. Then there would really be an S storm. However I see no issues with the Mosques. Especially since the British and US are currently deployed in theatre in countries with Mosques.
Where ever you go, there you are.

DocLightning

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Depends on what they were doing. If they were just using the mosques as targets as a gag, that's not OK. If they are part of the manufactured "scenery," then that's not OK.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

SOBHI51

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 2):
Good thing they didn't have pictures of Mohammed on them

There no real pictures of Prophet Mohammed.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):
Depends on what they were doing. If they were just using the mosques as targets as a gag, that's not OK. If they are part of the manufactured "scenery," then that's not OK

Agree with you on the first part, did not understand the second part.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

TheCommodore

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):
Depends on what they were doing. If they were just using the mosques as targets as a gag, that's not OK. If they are part of the manufactured "scenery," then that's not OK.

Not real sure what you mean here, are you saying both scenarios are "not" OK ??

And if you are, then what/when would you consider their use ok ?
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

Francoflier

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:09 am

I have little knowledge of 'on the field' military action, but for the purpose of training, do simulated buildings have to be absolutely identical to the ones that would be found in real life scenarios? It seems to me that a building is a building, no matter what its purpose is. Walls, roof, rooms, corridors...

But then if they are building fake mosques for training, they probably also built fake churches at some point to train for potential local or European deployments, especially during the cold war.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Airstud

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:40 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 6):
It seems to me that a building is a building, no matter what its purpose is. Walls, roof, rooms, corridors...

Well, mosques got them minarets.

Except it seems they could maybe come close enough to replicating those just by using Queen Anne-style houses...
Pancakes are delicious.

AverageUser

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:44 am

I have little knowledge of 'on the field' military action, but for the purpose of training, do simulated buildings have to be absolutely identical to the ones that would be found in real life scenarios?

Those objects on the firing range had nothing to do with realism. For what training could be see e.g. here (officially produced video on an actual training ground)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STPaycKcXJw

BMI727

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:13 pm

I have little knowledge of 'on the field' military action, but for the purpose of training, do simulated buildings have to be absolutely identical to the ones that would be found in real life scenarios? It seems to me that a building is a building, no matter what its purpose is. Walls, roof, rooms, corridors...

Well, if mosques are anything like churches, many of them will have a similar and somewhat standard configuration. I think that it is a legitimate training tool, and I don't see why they should apologize.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

AverageUser

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 9):
and I don't see why they should apologize.

The source said they will be removed anyway, nobody's been demanding an apology afaik.