Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

AirPacific747
Topic Author

New IPhone OS 4.0: Finally Can Do “Multitasking”

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm

Great news for iPhone 3Gs owners and also owners of the latest version of iPod touch.

Not so good news for us with the 3G version as this version won't have enough power to handle multitasking.

I am sure this will be implemented to the iPad very soon as well.

http://anakbawang.com/new-iphone-os-...0-finally-can-do-multitasking.html

Rara

RE: New IPhone OS 4.0: Finally Can Do “Multitasking”

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:13 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Thread starter):
Not so good news for us with the 3G version as this version won't have enough power to handle multitasking.

"Not enough power"? My 11 Mhz PC back in 1989 had enough power to handle multitasking. Mobile phones have been supporting it for years.

I think this is just an excuse made up by Apple to explain why it took them so long to introduce this neither very demanding nor very revolutionary feature.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

AverageUser

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Great! More ads, just what the world needs today!

Quoting Rara (Reply 1):
"Not enough power"?

Translation from Applespeak: Jobs does not trust 3G operators as a future part of his empire.

mt99

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:33 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 2):

Translation from Applespeak: Jobs does not trust 3G operators as a future part of his empire.

Translation: I think you have misunderstood.. Multitasking will only be available to the 3G-S mode, which has a more powerful processor than the 3G model. However both 3G and 3GS models use "3G" technology..

So its a processor thing, not an operator thing...
Step into my office, baby

eaa3

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 2):

Translation: Apple want´s 3G users to buy a new phone.

casinterest

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 1):
"Not enough power"? My 11 Mhz PC back in 1989 had enough power to handle multitasking. Mobile phones have been supporting it for years.

It's about Battery Power and processing speed. Plus, it will help keep folks moving on up the revenue stream. Say what you want, but I still haven't seen a smartphone that is as usable as the Iphone
Where ever you go, there you are.

mt99

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:47 pm

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 4):

Yes. Unlike Motorola, Nokia and Blackberry who still want to have Razrs, 6010s and pagers users keep their old phones and dont buy new ones
Step into my office, baby

Revelation

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 4):

It only took four tries to get this right.

Sure, the 3GS has a better CPU and a better battery, but there's no real technical reason why multitasking won't work on the 3G. Sure it'll be slower and sure, it'll eat batteries, but it'll still work. So instead of letting the customers at least see if multitasking will work for them OK on the 3G or not, they just make you buy a new phone. Oh, and one that comes with iAds too.

On the other hand, after reading the iPad thread, I'm starting to be won over to the idea that only allowing multitasking via well chosen APIs is a good idea, given how folks are saying that their Andriods suck through batteries because dumb programmers choose to poll for events instead of being event driven.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

LTU932

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:51 pm

Let me guess: Users of a second generation iPod Touch like me will not be able to run multitasking either with iPhoneOS 4, and will have to dish out 10 dollars for the update.

I just hope for Apple's sake that the update won't be a major disaster like with the iPhone OS 3, where if you dock your iPod Touch on the base station, the sound just goes away (in my case, I couldn't even get the sound back even if I plugged in my speakers on the universal dock).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

casinterest

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 7):
Sure, the 3GS has a better CPU and a better battery, but there's no real technical reason why multitasking won't work on the 3G. Sure it'll be slower and sure, it'll eat batteries, but it'll still work. So instead of letting the customers at least see if multitasking will work for them OK on the 3G or not, they just make you buy a new phone. Oh, and one that comes with iAds too.

Yeah, it might work, but Also the whoe thing you stated later about design has a point as well. Apple can stay much nimbler by not having to sacrifice designers to go back and do the retrofitting for multiple different HW types.

As a software engineer, legacy support is the one thing that kills most design organizations. Iit is also one of the reasons why Android, while new and fresh, is in for a world of hurt going forward.
Where ever you go, there you are.