Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

will777
Topic Author

Oasis Of The Seas

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:17 am

I am obsessed with travel and have read probably as much as I possibly can about the Oasis. I was lucky enough to be on the maiden voyage of the beast, and I can gladly say that it is amazing! I want to know your thoughts.

-Do you like to cruise?
-What is your preferred cruise line??
-Would you sail the oasis?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/will773/4274128771/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/will773/4274133215/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/will773/4274877910/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/will773/4274130839/

[Edited 2010-04-16 18:19:00]

Fly2HMO

RE: Oasis Of The Seas

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:40 am

I've never done it, but:

Quoting will777 (Thread starter):
-Do you like to cruise?

I would love to, BUT it would have to be on a much smaller, more intimate ship with no more than 500 pax.

Hell NO. Engineering epicness aside, I just don't see anything attractive whatsoever about getting on a giant tin can with 8000 other schmucks. I just don't see the point of getting on such a large ship and having it not feel like you're in a ship to begin with, and to have it be like you never left the mainland either. It's just a giant floating tourist trap IMO.

Companies like Seabourn appeal more to me.

Goldenshield

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:59 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 1):
Companies like Seabourn appeal more to me.

I'd love to try Seabourne, but it would take forever to save up for such a cruise.

Hell NO. Engineering epicness aside, I just don't see anything attractive whatsoever about getting on a giant tin can with 8000 other schmucks.

They are basically doing the same things as the airlines did with the 747 and A380: economy of scale.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

einsteinboricua

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:19 am

Hell NO. Engineering epicness aside, I just don't see anything attractive whatsoever about getting on a giant tin can with 8000 other schmucks. I just don't see the point of getting on such a large ship and having it not feel like you're in a ship to begin with, and to have it be like you never left the mainland either. It's just a giant floating tourist trap IMO.

You'd be surprised. I've been aboard Adventure of the Seas 3 times, with capacity for +/- 3000 pax. You barely notice that there are so many passengers, even in ship events. With Oasis being nearly 50% larger than Adventure of the Seas and with +/- 6,000 pax, I'm pretty sure you won't even see that many, even at dinner time.

-Do you like to cruise?

-Only cruised three times on the same ship, so I guess you can say that's a yes.
-Only sailed with Royal Caribbean, but I've been keen on trying Carnival, Norwegian, and maybe Cunard (just because of the QM2)
-Oh yeah
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

PacNWjet

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:21 am

Quoting goldenshield (Reply 2):

They are basically doing the same things as the airlines did with the 747 and A380: economy of scale.

The obvious difference is that the 747 and A380 are conveyances that are designed to transport passengers from one place to another while large cruise ships are destinations in and of themselves even if they do move from one place to another. As other posters have pointed out, large cruise ships are marketed as vacation destinations, their ports of call notwithstanding. Few people choose a mega cruise ship on the basis of its itinerary. If one really wanted to see ports of call up-close they could do so either as destinations in and of themselves or on smaller cruise ships that focus on the shore excursion aspect of the cruise. Mega cruise ships such as the Oasis of the Seas are floating hotels, not at all like the 747 and A380, the longest flights of which (even in First Class suites on the A380) are designed as forms of transportation, not tourist destinations.

[Edited 2010-04-16 19:22:55]

Goldenshield

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:45 am

You are missing my point entirely. My point is that the bigger the ship is, the cheaper it is to operate on a given itinerary. This is why the cruise lines are moving their smaller ships to niche markets, or to Europe. They can make more $$$ by stuffing more passengers on fewer ships, namely FLL and MIA.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Airstud

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:49 am

What route does the Oasis sail?

I have never cruised; however, if I do one day, I require (yes REQUIRE) that it be on a route that can't be traveled on land. I've heard of people cruising from Vancouver to L.A., and I'm like, dude, you could BIKE that. What's the point of getting on a boat yes BOAT other than to travel ACROSS a body of water?

California-Hawaii, or New York/Boston-London(Southampton, I guess), is the sort of thing I'd like.

Hey what about completely transpacific routes, like to Japan or Australia?
Pancakes are delicious.

will777
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:53 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 6):
What route does the Oasis sail?

As of right now, the Oasis is exclusively sailing the Eastern Caribbean with stops in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Nassau. Starting in May, it will alternate that itinerary with a Western Caribbean itinerary with stops in Labadee, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Starting next year I believe, the Costa Maya stop will be replaced with Falmouth, Jamaica.

[Edited 2010-04-16 19:54:20]

PacNWjet

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:06 am

Quoting goldenshield (Reply 5):
You are missing my point entirely. My point is that the bigger the ship is, the cheaper it is to operate on a given itinerary. This is why the cruise lines are moving their smaller ships to niche markets, or to Europe. They can make more $$$ by stuffing more passengers on fewer ships, namely FLL and MIA.

This reminds me of the old Woody Allen joke about the restaurant where the food is lousy but the portions are huge! Sure, restaurants can sell large amounts of mediocre food to diners who are not terribly discerning, but other restaurants can sell smaller portions of fine cuisine and, guess what, both can make money. It's about market niches. After all, if larger is always more profitable then why would airlines eschew 747s and A380s in favor of 737s and A319s? Obviously it depends on the market for a particular route. Likewise, in the cruise ship industry there is a market for mega cruise ships such as the Oasis of the Seas as well as smaller ships. Conde Nast Traveler magazine recently had a long article about the Oasis of the Seas and the mega cruise ship trend. Industry analysts argue that there are only so many people who want to take a vacation on a huge ocean liner and that market eventually could be saturated. There is still a market for smaller cruise ships, economies of scale or no.

DocLightning

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:09 am

I was lucky enough to be on the maiden voyage of the beast,

Hindenburg...Titanic...   

Seriously, enjoy your trip and try not to eat enough to sink a ship!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Goldenshield

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:18 am

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 8):
There is still a market for smaller cruise ships, economies of scale or no.

I never said there wasn't. However, with FLL and MIA being saturated as it is, and with limited port space, if these lines wish to grow out of these markets, they need bigger ships. Yes, some lines with small ships will cater to those wealthy enough to afford it---and provide amenities to match the price---but their market base will be small. However, to those of the middle class who couldn't afford such a cruise without applying for a second mortage (assuming they had a mortgage to begin with,) which includes myself, the large and mega cruise ships are the way to go about having an affordable cruise vacation.

The economy of scale can be applied to both ends, as noted in your example; it doesn't just work one way.

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 8):
Conde Nast Traveler magazine recently had a long article about the Oasis of the Seas and the mega cruise ship trend. Industry analysts argue that there are only so many people who want to take a vacation on a huge ocean liner and that market eventually could be saturated.

This is why I believe that the Oasis is a doomed class. It's basically only going to spend its life based out of the large markets, namely MIA, LAX, BCN, Southampton, to name a few, where it can be assured that it can pull the required passengers to make it profitable. On top of that, unless you like tendering at every port, its destinations are very limited, and not every government is willing to make the effort to allow this beast to dock.

ual747den

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Quoting goldenshield (Reply 10):
not every government is willing to make the effort to allow this beast to dock.

I think you are wrong with this statement. I would imagine that any Government would be happy to have 8000 +/- people come spend money for a few days. They would be crazy not to!
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

JasYHZ

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:32 pm

I am a die hard Celebrity Cruises fan - we haven't, and probably will not, sail with anyone else. The service and atmosphere keep us coming back.

So far we've completed:
Jan 2008 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Celebrity Millennium
Jan 2009 - 11 Night Ultimate Caribbean on Celebrity Constellation
Feb 2010 - 10 Night Ultimate Caribbean on the Celebrity Equinox

And upcoming/booked:
Sep 2010 - 7 Night Alaska/Tracy Arm Fjord on the Celebrity Infinity
Jan 2011 - 11 Night Southern Caribbean on the Celebrity Millennium
Sep 2011 - 7 Night Alaska/Hubbard Glacier on the Celebrity Mercury

And looking at the new 12 Night Caribbean sailings on the new Celebrity Silhouette out of Cape Liberty, NJ. Only an hour and a half flight away.

JasYHZ
"That's it! You just made the list!"

Goldenshield

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 11):
I think you are wrong with this statement. I would imagine that any Government would be happy to have 8000 +/- people come spend money for a few days.

Not every port that cruise ships visit have a dock to begin with. There are quite a few that only tender, but tendering has its drawbacks. Also, those ports that wish to handle such a ship---at least for the current markets that RCC visits---have already made changes, like St. Thomas, and St. Martin. St. Martin, IIRC, had to build an entirely new pier and dredge out the area specifically for this ship.

asuflyer05

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 3):
You'd be surprised. I've been aboard Adventure of the Seas 3 times, with capacity for +/- 3000 pax. You barely notice that there are so many passengers, even in ship events. With Oasis being nearly 50% larger than Adventure of the Seas and with +/- 6,000 pax, I'm pretty sure you won't even see that many, even at dinner time.

Actually, what you need to look at is the ratio of public space to passengers.

I've done a smaller, older ship along with two new ships, Enchantment and Radiance of the Seas (see trip report); and the smaller ship felt more crowded. I never would have guessed Radiance was as big as it was and carried as many people as it did.

I think you are wrong with this statement. I would imagine that any Government would be happy to have 8000 +/- people come spend money for a few days. They would be crazy not to!

For a while Bermuda was pretty picky about what ships could call there.

yooyoo

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:53 pm

-Do you like to cruise? Yes, i love it. I've been on 4 cruises. @ Princess and 2 RC
-What is your preferred cruise line?? I've only been on 2 lines, but i really love RC. They have a great childrens program. My daughter never wanted to leave. The food is good, service great and i love their ships. Princess was very good as well but the last cruise with them the ship need some major work done, it need to be referbished big time.
-Would you sail the oasis? For sure ! We are talking about next year.

Quoting JasYHZ (Reply 12):
I am a die hard Celebrity Cruises fan

My parents have sailed with them twice and have high marks for them. They have also cruised with RC and enjoyed the ship much more but the food was better on Celebrity.

I've been aboard Adventure of the Seas 3 times, with capacity for +/- 3000 pax. You barely notice that there are so many passengers

I've been on that ship once.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

TransIsland

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:03 pm

If only... a) they're usually in town for a few hours instead of a few days, b) the bigger the ship, the lower the percentage of cruise pax who actually disembark to venture around town, c) cruise visitors (as opposed to stop-over hotel tourists) are notorious for being skimpy and hardly spending any money while in town, and as they get fed on the ship, not even the restaurants earn money.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

will777
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:12 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
Seriously, enjoy your trip and try not to eat enough to sink a ship!

The trip was actually back in December, (see the links to the pictures). The cruise line claimed that the ship was "only" half full at 3,500 passengers, an I can gladly say the ship felt like a ghost town.

It seemed as though there were only a few hundred people on the ship no matter where you were. The most populated areas that I noticed, were the Royal Promenade (but only on the day of embarkation and only for a few hours), and the FlowRider area. Everyplace else was deserted.

The ship is laid out so well and all of the different public areas fit in so nicely that the ship actually feels small, unless of course you are really on the wrong side of the ship and have to walk down the NEVER ENDING hallway of cabins! My favorite area was the Royal Promenade because it was so much BIGGER than the Navigator of the Seas, and it was the place to go for pizza and was also just a good place to walk from one end to the other. The Boardwalk was also very nice and it is fun to see the people on the zip line going across. The pool deck was massive and there were plenty (4) pools to choose from.

It was very funny because in Nassau, we were docked next to the Disney Wonder, and while I was standing on the pool deck, which is deck 15 (yes the POOLS are on deck 15!!!!!!), I was above the smokestacks on the Disney ship. It was just a great feeling to know that you are on the biggest thing out there.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to go on this amazing cruise ship!

MD-90

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Quoting will777 (Reply 17):
It was very funny because in Nassau, we were docked next to the Disney Wonder

The Disney Wonder is a prettier ship, though.

OA260

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Ive done many cruises on numerous lines. 4 and 5 star. Loved them all and all have different things which I liked. I have been on a lot of RCI ships also and I would go on Oasis anytime. I prefer the Celebrity brand though due to its decor.

Ken777

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Do I like cruises? Very much so. I went on 3 back in the '60s. Two on the USS Long Beach and one on the USS Cochrane. Close to 2 years sailing around the Pacific in total.

I do want to go on a couple of cruises with my wife one day. I like the idea of the European and China river cruises (http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/). Nice small boat (intimate - sort of like the Cochrane) and I won't have to polish the brass or swab the deck.  

I would probably pass on the Oasis. And the Disney ships as well. Too many people, especially when there are a lot of ankle biters around.

The Caribbean might be fun for a few days on a smaller ship than the Oasis, but I really like the idea of those river cruises!

dw747400

Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:28 am

-Do you like to cruise?

1. Yes... Very relaxing, lots of interesting things to do and sights to see.
2. I'd need to go with Celebrity. To be fair, I've only been on two lines (Celebrity and RCCL) but I've found Celebrity to have consistently excellent service. Some RCCL ships are comparable, others are merely "acceptable".
3. Sure. I have other ships I'd prefer to try first, but I'd hardly turn down a trip on Oasis.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

kaitak

Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Quoting dw747400 (Reply 21):

- Do you like to cruise?

I'd love to try a cruise sometime; the one cruise I really, really want to do is through the Panama Canal. That rules out the very large ships, such as the Oasis and QM2 (at least until the Panamax changes are made), but a ship of up to 80,000t is fine by me.

I don't have a preferred cruise line, but the reports here are very favourable towards Celebrity, so I'd probably have them fairly high up the list of lines to consider. Anyone know how Princess Cruises and Royal Caribbean rank in relation to Celebrity; Royal Caribbean looks good, but I've heard that they're not quite as upmarket as Celebrity. If one were to rank cruise lines, I'm guessing Seaborn would be number one, but after that, how would they rank? Is there a website that can show this?

I'm not tempted by ultra large ships that much; the bigger the ship, the more limited they are in destinations - the Panama Canal crossing (though a destination as such) is a good example; I really don't want to share a ship with 5,000 others and since a cruise for me might be a "once only" experience, I'd want to go with a top class company.

Ken777

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:21 pm

Odd coincidence - was looking at the list of threads and noticed the river cruise ad for the link I had posted above. Checked it out and there is a "win a trip for 2" contest - I guess they want your email address. I signed up (no, I'm not involved with the company in any way) and thought others might be interested.

Goldenshield

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 23):
Odd coincidence - was looking at the list of threads and noticed the river cruise ad for the link I had posted above.

Odd. They must think I'm a pimply teenager, or something.

Ken777

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:26 pm

Quoting goldenshield (Reply 24):
Odd. They must think I'm a pimply teenager, or something.

Could have been worse - you could have had an ad for Viagra.  

cx340

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 pm

You barely notice that there are so many passengers, even in ship events.

True. Have done 2 cruises so far, both with RC, the latest in December 09, Brilliance of the Seas along the Med (Europe and Africa) sailing from BCN. It is not the most upscale experience, but it is lots of fun and I would do it again without a doubt!

bananaboy

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:25 am

Do you like to cruise?

I do like to cruise and have done quite a few. As an "insider" I am obviously partial to Norwegian Cruise Line, and they suit me just fine - I've always liked the freedom and can't be doing with dressing up when I'm told to. Each to their own. I have sailed Royal Caribbean Voyager and thought it was OK, just not for me. Some of my favourite cruises have been on smaller ships like Marco Polo & easyCruise Life. In fact, easyCruise Life was a great cruise - comfortable, simple, and spending the evenings in small Greek islands was just wonderful. Looks like eC has gone kaput now.

Back on topic, though, I would consider sailing Oasis, but only on a mini-cruise. I'd be keen to have a look round and see the facilities, but wouldn't want to spend a week as I know that the style of cruise is not for me.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 6):
California-Hawaii, or New York/Boston-London(Southampton, I guess), is the sort of thing I'd like

I am on the Norwegian Epic inaugural sailing from Southampton to New York. Never done a transatlantic and I cannot wait! 7 days of guilt-free lazy days!

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

OA260

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:44 am

Quoting bananaboy (Reply 27):
I am on the Norwegian Epic inaugural sailing from Southampton to New York. Never done a transatlantic and I cannot wait! 7 days of guilt-free lazy days!

Transatlantic is great although I did the Voyager from Barcelona to Miami in November and the weather was fantastic due to sailing further South. A really relaxing way to get to the US. If Im doing Transatlantic it has to be on a big ship otherwise I would get bored. Lots of things to do as well as some laying out in the sun. Epic will be a good ship to do it on.

na

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:14 am

-Do you like to cruise?

1. Yes
2. Cunard
3. The Oasis is too massive and carries too many passengers for my taste. I prefer midzized to large sized ships. Not so much the giants, with the exception of the Queen Mary2.
I´m also more interested in a cultural interesting destination kind of cruise, not so much into beach island hopping.

AviRaider

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 23):
I don't have a preferred cruise line, but the reports here are very favourable towards Celebrity, so I'd probably have them fairly high up the list of lines to consider. Anyone know how Princess Cruises and Royal Caribbean rank in relation to Celebrity; Royal Caribbean looks good, but I've heard that they're not quite as upmarket as Celebrity. If one were to rank cruise lines, I'm guessing Seaborn would be number one, but after that, how would they rank? Is there a website that can show this?

I went on my honeymoon on Celebrity back in February and I was very impressed! We sailed on the Celebrity Solstice for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise. Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean, they are meant to be a premier brand. So really Celebrity and RC are in two different classes. Celebrity, for me anyway, feels more country club like than some of the other brands. The wife and I were always under dressed at dinner. Lots of guests wearing tuxedos and the whole bit. Good for a honeymoon, but if we had kids they'd probably be bored.

OA260

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Quoting AviRaider (Reply 30):
I went on my honeymoon on Celebrity back in February and I was very impressed! We sailed on the Celebrity Solstice for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise. Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean, they are meant to be a premier brand. So really Celebrity and RC are in two different classes. Celebrity, for me anyway, feels more country club like than some of the other brands. The wife and I were always under dressed at dinner.

Yes lovely ship. I was on the inaugural celebrations. The Celebrity brand is indeed a step up from RCI which I prefer.

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 31):
The Celebrity brand is indeed a step up from RCI which I prefer.

Celebrity is to RCI what Lexus is to Toyota - the wholly-owned luxury brand of the main company.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

OA260

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 32):
Celebrity is to RCI what Lexus is to Toyota - the wholly-owned luxury brand of the main company.

Indeed and Celebrity/RCI is getting alot of good press at the moment. They cancelled the Travel Agents night and sent the new ship to Bilbao to rescue stranded British tourists. Good PR move.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/hampshir..._places/newsid_8632000/8632850.stm

SmithAir747

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:48 am

-Do you like to cruise?

I've only cruised once. My mom and I took a cruise on Carnival's mv Fascination from Miami to the Bahamas (3 nights) in June 2001, as part of a Florida trip that we won in a sweepstakes promotion (for a timeshare company, RCI). We loved it so much! I would love to take Mom on an Alaska cruise from San Francisco someday, if I can EVER afford it (I am a "starving student" graduate student here).

I have only sailed one cruise line--Carnival; it was great for a first-time cruise (for me and Mom).

But I would love to try a Cunard transatlantic voyage to Southampton UK, to visit my old "home" in London. I would love to sail Cunard's QM2 on that route. England is my favourite European destination, since I lived in London for 3 years and would love to go back and see my King's College London professors (it is my alma mater) and my old London friends. England is very special to me. I am dying to get back to London. I also have a hankering to do a transatlantic crossing by ship to England. So why not kill 2 birds with one stone, for a future birthday of mine? Maybe within the next 5 years, before I hit 40? Anyone want to contribute to my fund?  

Another cruise I would like to do would be an Alaska cruise from San Francisco (on Princess, who do this route), with Mom, someday. She has dreamed of going to Alaska on a cruise, ever since our 2001 Carnival cruise. I would like to surprise her on her birthday in the near future. Again, I would need to afford that.

Sure, to get the experience of that ship, mainly. Only then could I judge it.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)