Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

bohica

RE: Automotive Pet Peeves

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:43 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 147):
Just out of curiosity, did you try looking for a used original hubcap that came with the car?
The wrecking yards and used hubcap places have tons of them for really cheap.

Where I used to live at the time, there was no junkyard or used hubcap store within a reasonable distance. It was easier to paint the rims. From a distance the wheels looked nicer than they did with the hubcaps. I was happy with it so I never bothered to find replacement hubcaps.

BMI727
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:13 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 149):

We tried that but couldn't find any nearby.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Molykote

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 142):
I just remembered another automotive pet peeve of mine. I hate those stupid plastic engine covers manufacturers like to put under the hood. Why would you want to hide your engine under a cheap piece of plastic?

Sound deadening in many cases. If you've ever taken one of those off, they typically have insulation attached to the underside. They have a side benefit of keeping some semi-critical work areas clean (i.e. large splashes of water kept from ignition area, crud kept from area near spark plug wells, etc).

Some cars (Ferrari) have beautifully arranged engine bays. Many others aren't worth getting a hard-on over anyway, so I see little harm in the cover if it provides other fringe benefits.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

waterpolodan

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:45 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 143):

While I understand your sentiment, you have to admit that this sort of thing is exactly what this forum is for. He felt like ranting about people's seemingly poor taste in cars and car modifications, and many other people felt the same urge. Yes, it'd be nice if we could live in a world where no one judged anybody else unfairly, but sometimes it's good fun to do exactly that when there is no harm involved beyond some sore feelings. Also, most of the people that we're calling out in this thread leave themselves open to criticism when they drive around in something like this-

If you're going to try to look like you have a "high performance" ride when it is nothing more than an econobox with an absurd body kit, then you should be laughed at for trying to look cool. However, if you drive around in a stock 10 year old Honda Accord and just turn your nose up at every fancy car and poser car alike because you think you know something about cars and racing like me, then you're impervious to criticism.  

WildcatYXU

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:47 pm

My biggest automotive pet peeve:

Driving is called privilege and yet rules are defined to cater to the most inept.

If driving is indeed a privilege, then define a level of necessary skills one has to have to be allowed to drive.
Or keep it as it is currently and call it right instead of privilege.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

BMI727
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:16 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 153):
However, if you drive around in a stock 10 year old Honda Accord and just turn your nose up at every fancy car and poser car alike because you think you know something about cars and racing like me, then you're impervious to criticism

Exactly. It isn't about looking cool, just not looking stupid. I don't think I set the bar too high.

ACDC8

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:16 pm

I just remembered another automotive pet peeve of mine. I hate those stupid plastic engine covers manufacturers like to put under the hood. Why would you want to hide your engine under a cheap piece of plastic?

Keeps your engine free of a lot of dirt and dust which makes it easier to keep clean especially in enviornments like our where you got lots of dirt coming through the grill covering the engine during the winter months.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 144):
It looks stupid.

But its functional. Lots of things that may look stupid to you actually serve a purpose. If you go on about stuff about fake hood scoops, truck hitch balls, things that provide absolutly no function, then by all means. But starting to rant on things that actually serve a purpose is just silly. Spend a few years on the road first  
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

BMI727
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 156):
Lots of things that may look stupid to you actually serve a purpose

I will admit that is a higher stratum of stupid, but on a 911? Come on.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 156):
Keeps your engine free of a lot of dirt and dust which makes it easier to keep clean especially in enviornments like our where you got lots of dirt coming through the grill covering the engine during the winter months.

True, but cars survived for years without them.

Molykote

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 154):
If driving is indeed a privilege, then define a level of necessary skills one has to have to be allowed to drive.

Necessary skills = 16 years old and not more than 90% blind in at least one eye.

ACDC8

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 157):
I will admit that is a higher stratum of stupid, but on a 911? Come on.

Here's the thing, a lot of people out there are car enthusiasts, and in many cases they are vehicle specific enthusiasts (Mustang, Corvette, 911, Civic, etc.) and they might even belong to a club. Now, the 911 is their fun car (or maybe only car) but on a nice sunny day you want to be driving that specific car, after all thats why you own it. Now, you might also have other interests, as many people do, such as cycling ... so on a nice sunny day you want to take advantage of it so you load up your fun car with your other passion and head for a day trip out.

The same thing with trailers, theres a lot of people out there who cross the country every year going from car show to car show and maybe even entering their own vehicles. So a small trailer again, serves a very logical purpose and looks great if its been customized to match the car pulling it.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 157):
True, but cars survived for years without them.

A car's surviving rate has nothing to do with it, it makes it easier for the vehicles owner to keep the engine cleaner which thus requires less elbow grease or $$$ from the owner. Not only does a clean engine look good, it'll help you out big time when it comes time to sell it.

ACDC8

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 158):
Necessary skills = 16 years old and not more than 90% blind in at least one eye.

Those are the legal skills and not neessary skills I'm afraid - big difference.

Fly2HMO

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Why would you want to hide your engine under a cheap piece of plastic?

Agreed. Some are a pain to deal with if you need to take them off to work on the rest of the engine.

Quoting A332 (Reply 143):
I absolutely regret opening this thread.

Good for you. You'll be back next time you're in a stop light with a loud fart-can equipped rice rocket to your right, a redneck in a lifted diesel truck to your left blowing diesel soot right into your window, an old lady in her 70's Cadillac barge in front and wannabe cool guys in their 100 megawatt stereo systems in the Geo Metro behind you.  
Quoting BMI727 (Reply 144):
Yeah, I'm ballin in my silver Avalon.

Quoting Molykote (Reply 152):
If you've ever taken one of those off, they typically have insulation attached to the underside.

Taken dozens off, never seen any real insulation material in any of them.

They have a side benefit of keeping some semi-critical work areas clean (i.e. large splashes of water kept from ignition area, crud kept from area near spark plug wells, etc).

From my experience, on the cheaper cars especially, its more for looks than anything. Most (Euro cars at least) have a pretty well protected engine compartment, so it's redundant, IMO. Case in point, The MK5 VW GTI (an exception to the cheap rule) had a huge one and it was quite annoying to deal with when working on the engine, but inside that cover was the air filter and part of the intake piping. Otherwise it was worthless and many tuners removed them completely.The new MK6 GTI has a much smaller one, and separate intake hosing.

Just for comparison:

MK5 GTI:

MK6 GTI:

My car has no crap plastic cover fortunately. But it does have extensive sealing around the hood's front and a large splash shield on the bottom. You can't see the ground from the top of the hood in other words.

Also, in cars like BMWs and some MB's I think it acts more like a deterrent, they tend to have HUGE engine covers, and all you can see is the oil dipstick if you're lucky. The Germans don't like it when you stick your hands in there and start messing up their superb engineering  

width="15" height="15" border="0"/>

Couldn't agree more. I've ridden with too many people (not to be a sexist, but the great majority of them have been women, certainly no coincidence) that have no business whatsoever driving.

Superfly

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:17 pm

They have a side benefit of keeping some semi-critical work areas clean (i.e. large splashes of water kept from ignition area, crud kept from area near spark plug wells, etc).

Aren't all of those under the engine cover?
Thus will still get splashes of water. Is there a cover on the underside of the engine?
Bring back the Concorde

Molykote

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 162):

Aren't all of those under the engine cover?
Thus will still get splashes of water. Is there a cover on the underside of the engine?

Yes, those parts are typically all under the engine cover.

Most modern cars have an underbody splash shield as well.

As the engine bay isn't too tightly sealed, the engine cover prevents the small (but accumulating) quantities of foreign material from gathering in less desirable portions of the engine. I don't think it's intended to be a vapor barrier but does keep the intricate bits underneath cleaner. Between radiator cooling fan airflow and the belt system, it doesn't take much for the underhood area to get dirty.

Molykote

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 161):
Also, in cars like BMWs and some MB's I think it acts more like a deterrent, they tend to have HUGE engine covers, and all you can see is the oil dipstick if you're lucky.

If it has a dip stick....

The Germans don't like it when you stick your hands in there and start messing up their superb engineering  

Superb engineering = eliminating an oil dipstick and installing a failure prone oil level sensor!

I'm half kidding. I'll take a German car before any other. However, I do have a laundry list of "why did they do (or do they keep doing) this?"

If you've ever taken one of those off, they typically have insulation attached to the underside.

Taken dozens off, never seen any real insulation material in any of them.

The last 2 in my memory (BMW 7 series and Lexus ES) had sound insulation under them. I think my fiance's 2003 Camry may have had the same. I can't remember if my 3 series (M54B30 engine) had any insulation attached. In any case, covering the coil-on-plug system is adequate case to add a cheap plastic cover (in my opinion).
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

I am aware that several engines are produced in a similar fashion with no such cover. For all the cost of one more piece of plastic, I've got no problem if it would serve no other purpose but to keep the underlying bits clean. I think from the DIY above, it's reasonably clear that it performs that function adequately.

northstardc4m

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:43 pm

ok i got one more...

people who never replace their wiped blades and drive along at 20 when ever it rains...

and actually along that point, people who spray and spray washer fluid cleaning my windsheild along with theirs!

So 2...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Fly2HMO

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:44 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 164):
If it has a dip stick....

LOL true, seems like they dont like them anymore either.

Superb engineering = eliminating an oil dipstick and installing a failure prone oil level sensor!

I guess. But I like fiddling with my engines.  I was disappointed to find my new car has no tranny dipstick. Oh well.

However, I do have a laundry list of "why did they do (or do they keep doing) this?"

Ditto.

The last 2 in my memory (BMW 7 series and Lexus ES) had sound insulation under them.

Well of course, they're not exactly cheap are they?  

But yes those barges do indeed have ridiculous amounts of insulation everywhere.

AFAIK my dad's E90 325i doesn't have soundproofing under the cover, however. Which is a good thing, that engine sounds awesome.

Cadet57

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 148):
My mom got replacements for the Caprice, but the new ones were made of plastic.

I have the locking wire ones on my Caprice, well about 3 weeks ago I was rotating my tires and didnt lock them on good enough one blew out about halfway down my street without me noticing. Got to work, gone. Got home, my neighbor found it and put it in our garage. Long story short, before I knew I still had a hubcap, I drove over to the pick a part near my work and found an '87 with the same lockers and snagged em. $10 each.

Superb engineering =

My recent experience in that department is a coil that burst out of its shaft, and was on fire.    Turns out they were recalled, got 4 new ones for free. Still, that VW is fun to drive....
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ACDC8

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:41 pm

North American cars that have to turn on all freakin' lights (interior, headlights, parking, tailights, back-up lights) when you open or close the doors using the remote key fob and then they stay on freakin' 5 minutes for no reason.

Interior lights I can understand when you unlock your car. Headlights I can understand if you lock your door at night ... but tailights and back-up lights, seriously? Pointless.

ajd1992

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Driving is called privilege and yet rules are defined to cater to the most inept.

It's a privilege if you have an easy driving test - in the UK and Australia it's considered a right because of how hard/expensive it is to learn to drive.

Skill I'm putting forward = don't be a moron, have spatial awareness and don't lock your common sense at home.

ShyFlyer

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:18 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 168):
Interior lights I can understand when you unlock your car. Headlights I can understand if you lock your door at night ... but tailights and back-up lights, seriously? Pointless.

GM seems to be the biggest offender. What really annoys me is the back up lights because when I see them, I expect to see the vehicle backing out, not a family of four climb into it after having unlocked it from a half-block away.

Another annoyance:
People who leave their temporary tags on the vehicle after having received their actual plate and attached said tag to the vehicle. It's almost as if they think that they're losing money if they take the temp tag off early.
I lift things up and put them down.

ACDC8

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:26 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 170):
GM seems to be the biggest offender. What really annoys me is the back up lights because when I see them, I expect to see the vehicle backing out, not a family of four climb into it after having unlocked it from a half-block away.

Yup! So you slow down and pay attention to a vehicle that isn't even close to moving taking your eyes off other hazzards in the area.

Another one of mine ... "New Car Scent" airfreshners that smell nothing like new cars. I usually use the one that smells like CK Eternity since it at least smells like a boys car then ... 

I have nothing against air freshners, as long as cherry smells like cherry, vanilla like vanilla, etc. But I guess since each car manufacturer has their own distinct "new car" smell, I guess its hard to copy it.

Now, if they would only make one that smells like Jet A1 .... 

Type-Rated

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:36 pm

And I have heard that Mercedes Benz even has a inspector to make sure that a new Mercedes smells like a new Mercedes, the smell is very distinctive.

BTW, what is the purpose of a fart can exhaust? I see them on ricers but don't know what they are supposed to do besides look stupid.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

ShyFlyer

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 172):
what is the purpose of a fart can exhaust?

To serve as a beacon that cries out to the world: "Look upon me...for I am a tool of the highest degree!!"

BMI727
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:11 pm

BTW, what is the purpose of a fart can exhaust?

See, there was this guy who love coffee and happened to be an ecotard. Because of this he drove a compact Japanese car and recycled. One day he wanted to take a bunch of old coffee cans to the recycling center, but he filled up his entire car and had one left. He decided to haul it by placing it on his tailpipe, and it caught on.

If you thought that story was total BS you would be right. I just thought that saying that there is no good reason whatsoever to put one of those things on a car and that it looks horrible would be too boring.  

ACDC8

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:15 am

even has a inspector to make sure that a new Mercedes smells like a new Mercedes, the smell is very distinctive.

Not familiar with MB ... but I can definetly tell the difference between Honda and VW for example.

BTW, what is the purpose of a fart can exhaust? I see them on ricers but don't know what they are supposed to do besides look stupid.

Love it when they pull up next to me and start reving their car ... provides cheap entertainment. Sad thing is, usually the fart can is worth more than the car its on.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 173):
To serve as a beacon that cries out to the world: "Look upon me...for I am a tool of the highest degree!!"

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 174):
See, there was this guy who love coffee and happened to be an ecotard. Because of this he drove a compact Japanese car and recycled. One day he wanted to take a bunch of old coffee cans to the recycling center, but he filled up his entire car and had one left. He decided to haul it by placing it on his tailpipe, and it caught on.

If you thought that story was total BS you would be right.

I'd believe it 

Whats worse is when they're on a domestic car like a Sunfire or Cavalier. Worse yet, are those really annoying ones on Subaru's now that make it sound like an old VW Bug without a muffler. Why would anyone do that to such a nice car like a WRX STi?

Then again, could always be worse ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo

TSS

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:04 am

North American cars that have to turn on all freakin' lights (interior, headlights, parking, tailights, back-up lights) when you open or close the doors using the remote key fob and then they stay on freakin' 5 minutes for no reason.

Agreed...

GM seems to be the biggest offender.

Agreed...

What really annoys me is the back up lights because when I see them, I expect to see the vehicle backing out, not a family of four climb into it after having unlocked it from a half-block away.

And agreed!
In fact, GM seems to have something of a lighting fetish lately across the board. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe GM are the ones who first introduced the "theater lighting" on the interior lights, wherein the dome light gradually dims when the door is shut rather than turning off at once. The question I have is: Why? When I want the dome/interior lights on, I want them ON; When I want the dome/interior lights off, I want them OFF... right then... and I don't want to have wait a full minute for them to gradually go dark.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

BMI727
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:17 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 175):
Then again, could always be worse ...

That is even worse. It is for people who want to look like a tool but are too lazy to actually use tools.

bill142

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:25 am

People who don't indicate. So, pretty much all of the United Kingdom.

ACDC8

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:26 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 177):
That is even worse. It is for people who want to look like a tool but are too lazy to actually use tools.

LOL ... you can even get a V10 version 

Saw them at London Drugs last week selling for $40 ... they had a nice display stand set-up with a demonstration video and everything ... for goodness sake ...   

andz

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:29 am

Quoting bill142 (Reply 178):
People who don't indicate. So, pretty much all of the United Kingdom.

Funny you mention that, I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago and driving there was an absolute pleasure compared to here where the driving standards are abysmal.

The thing that grates me the most, and we see it a lot here, is kids in the front seat. They will be sitting on an adult's lap or even standing on the front seat.

Then we have the "taxi" problem but that is a whole other story...
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

ShyFlyer

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 176):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe GM are the ones who first introduced the "theater lighting" on the interior lights, wherein the dome light gradually dims when the door is shut rather than turning off at once. The question I have is: Why?

My 2002 Tribute does this too, though from on to off is only a matter of roughly ten seconds. My guess is that it's easier on the eyes for the lights to go out gradually than suddenly. But it would make more sense to me to have the lights gradually go from off to on. But I'm weird like that.

bohica

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 am

Another one I've seen a couple times: Cars painted by their owners to resemble the racing car driven by their favorite NASCAR driver.

This drives me nuts. I'm always hitting the brakes in the parking lot when I see those back-up lights because I'm thinking the car is backing out. I now call them "cry-wolf" lights. It would be my luck that if I ignored them the car it would back out right when I'm behind it and get in a wreck.

Another pet peeve I just thought of: Those who plaster a gigantic logo of their favorite sports teams all over the back window of their vehicles. The worst offenders seem to be fans of the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Yankees, and Boston Red Sox. A small window or bumper sticker conveys the same message.

BMI727
Topic Author

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Quoting bohica (Reply 182):
Another one I've seen a couple times: Cars painted by their owners to resemble the racing car driven by their favorite NASCAR driver.

I don't care much for that either, but I should point out that sometimes it is the manufacturers that are at fault.

The worst offenders seem to be fans of the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Yankees, and Boston Red Sox. A small window or bumper sticker conveys the same message.

Not a big fan of that either, but I notice the Packers (made worse by the fact that people from Wisconsin drive like idiots) and Cowboys most.

sv7887

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 17):
- Expensive cars with cheap tires. Though "judging" isn't something most people like to admit to, I can't help checking out the tires on any car that is stopped beside me (geeky I know). Seeing high dollar cars, particularly performance models, with crappy does bring me to assumptions about the driver's ignorance.

Definitely agree with you there. The S Class I have has these crappy Continental tires on them. Michelins used to be standard across the entire Benz model line. The Pirellis on my E are even worse. One blew out at 200 miles on the clock and they make an awful racket.

Here's my pet peeve:

Cramming so many electronics into the car that it resembles an Airbus. And of course when something goes wrong no one really knows how to troubleshoot the thing. I routinely get some strange light come on when I start the S and the dealer has no clue what's going on.

Some of the convenience features are getting ridiculous. Cars that park themselves? Sensors to turn on your wipers and headlights? There are some basic things you need to know how to drive properly.

Oh and lastly, the LED running lights that everyone has copied from Audi. It's one of those fashion fads that are going to make the car look like crap in a few years.

northstardc4m

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Quoting sv7887 (Reply 184):
Sensors to turn on your wipers and headlights? There are some basic things you need to know how to drive properly.

Actually i have to disagree with you on these 2.

auto wipers are a nice way to avoid having to reach for the mist wiper all the time in light precipitation...
auto headlights also SHUT OFF when the car does, unlike when you switch them on by hand (and let your battery drain away...)

Oh and lastly, the LED running lights that everyone has copied from Audi. It's one of those fashion fads that are going to make the car look like crap in a few years.

you mean like every other fad in the history of car manufacturing?   

Another pet peeve I just thought of: Those who plaster a gigantic logo of their favorite sports teams all over the back window of their vehicles. The worst offenders seem to be fans of the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Yankees, and Boston Red Sox. A small window or bumper sticker conveys the same message.

Only slightly less annoying are those Team flags people stick in their windows.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Molykote

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Sensors to turn on your wipers and headlights?

On my current BMW, both of these features have a manual modes. Nothing would stop you from using them.

I don't mind either feature myself. Modern German cars leave more significant overthought design details to gripe about!

Superfly

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:00 pm

And of course when something goes wrong no one really knows how to troubleshoot the thing.

My aunts brand new Mercedes E320 left her stranded on a freeway a few years ago. It took 4 days for the Mercedes 'specialist' to determine that a sensor burned out because the air conditioner shorted out and ended up shutting down the entire car.

Sensors to turn on your wipers and headlights? There are some basic things you need to know how to drive properly.

That was started by General Motors in 1952.
This feature was commonly offered in Lincolns and Mercurys from 1973 onward.
At GM, it's called Twilight Sentinel.
At Ford it's called Automatic headlights.
It's a cool feature because it senses oncoming traffic on a dark desert highway. If your hi-beams are on, it dims them to normal until the car passes and then the hi-beams come on again.
Bring back the Concorde

A342

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Recently saw a dude who TAPED a box containing a DIY kit for some furniture to the roof of his car...
Exceptions confirm the rule.

747srule

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:24 pm

What do you call a Yugo with two tailpipes? A wheelbarrow!! What do you call a Yugo with a flat tire? Totaled!!
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

ShyFlyer

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:06 am

Quoting A342 (Reply 188):
Recently saw a dude who TAPED a box containing a DIY kit for some furniture to the roof of his car...

That's nothing. I saw a guy hauling around a couch on top of his Ford Focus.

ACDC8

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:17 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 190):
That's nothing. I saw a guy hauling around a couch on top of his Ford Focus.

Hey, if you do it right ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIUw5n6mNuI

... could be quite fun 

andz

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:38 pm

The latest craze here is covers for your car mirrors that look like the South African national flag.

I know it is part of the World Cup hype but they look a bit... stupid. I even saw a woman with them upside down on her car this morning!

http://www.driveithome.co.za/?gclid=CO_Zzub_pqECFY9M5Qod6E_aCg
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Silver1SWA

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Excuse me if this has been posted already. I have not read the entire thread...

The one thing that I have seen that just really, REALLY annoys me is people who have small TVs installed on the sun visor and drive around with the visors down so the TVs point outward to the sides...AT NIGHT!!

Oh and douche bags who drive around town with their dirt bikes in the bed of their truck at all times. Really? It's 2am and you're tellin me you just got done riding? In the muddle of a subburban town/neighborhood?

Or how about people who install body kits, spoilers etc, etc. but don't get a damn paint job so all the parts match!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Cadet57

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 193):
The one thing that I have seen that just really, REALLY annoys me is people who have small TVs installed on the sun visor and drive around with the visors down so the TVs point outward to the sides...AT NIGHT!!

I saw that once when I was in Vegas with my family. They were kind enough to be displaying the porno they were watching to everyone they drove past...

PHLBOS

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 194):
They were kind enough to be displaying the porno they were watching to everyone they drove past...

I'm surpirsed that there weren't any accidents as a result of this being openly displayed.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

JAGflyer

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:35 pm

-Luxury car dealer plate frames on shitboxes (no, you didn't buy your rusted Cavalier from Bentley of Beverly Hills)
-Bobbleheads and dashboard decorations (one ethnic group is notorious for this)
-Religious crap in the mirrors/on dash/on bumper
-50 little tree air freshners hanging off the rearview mirror. Take off old one, replace with fresh one.
-Plastic chrome rims (as mentioned, from Walmart or Canadian Tire
-Pictures of kids where the speedometer is (covering part of it).
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

ShyFlyer

Sat May 01, 2010 12:58 am

From ShyFlyer's Encyclopedia of Idiot Drivers:

Smell My Exhaust
Everyone likes their car to smell nice. Some people like a nice smell so much the inundate the interior with their favorite scent. These people go too far and as a result, you can smell their favorite scent through the exhaust. It’s either that or we now have cherry scented gas.

Cadet57

Sat May 01, 2010 4:22 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 197):
It’s either that or we now have cherry scented gas.

It's funny you mention that. In the current Jegs catalog there are fuel additives that are designed to make the gas smell like various scents such as cherry, grape, vanilla, etc instead of a gassy or alcohol smell.

ACDC8

Sat May 01, 2010 4:54 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 198):

It's funny you mention that. In the current Jegs catalog there are fuel additives that are designed to make the gas smell like various scents such as cherry, grape, vanilla, etc instead of a gassy or alcohol smell.

Does it come in Jet A1 smell?