Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Springbok747
Topic Author

Times Square Evacuated After Bomb Scare

Sun May 02, 2010 4:06 am

The dark-coloured sports utility vehicle which has triggered the evacuation of Times Square on Saturday night was found to contain explosives, gasoline, propane and burned wires, a New York Fire Department officer said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/02/2888024.htm

Just crazy!   
אני תומך בישראל

TheCommodore

RE: Times Square Evacuated After Bomb Scare

Sun May 02, 2010 4:41 am

Just heard it on the ABC news.

My God, how lucky the authorities were to have found it.

Not sure what tipped them off about it, but lucky someone took it seriously.

Hope there is nothing more.   
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

BMI727

Sun May 02, 2010 4:45 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 1):
Hope there is nothing more.

The descriptions make it sound like this was rather amateurish, like a Tim McVeigh wannabe. Doesn't seem like an Al-Queda grade job to me, but they do have various "unofficial" followers.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Dreadnought

Sun May 02, 2010 4:49 am

My God, how lucky the authorities were to have found it.

Like hell... They found it after it fizzled. Had it worked properly it would have gone off.

I'm not familiar with the area, but it sounds like 6-6:30 PM in Times Square would be a pretty busy time with a lot of people walking around.

Now the big question is , who did it?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Maverick623

Sun May 02, 2010 4:49 am

Not sure what tipped them off about it

A mounted police officer noticed smoke coming from the car. When he looked inside he saw the explosives.

but lucky someone took it seriously.

I can only imagine the slew of expletives that were used over the radio and to clear people out.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

alberchico

Sun May 02, 2010 4:53 am

Just came from Times Square, jesus christ the streets were jammed , but people were taking it in stride, laughing and brushing it off. Nobody was panicked or visibly upset. But if you were just a few blocks away from the blocked streets you had no idea what was going on. When I passed the first police cars blocking off the streets I first thought it was just a May Day protest in times square.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):
The descriptions make it sound like this was rather amateurish, like a Tim McVeigh wannabe.

That may be so but remember that the bomb doesn't have to be powerful, just the hordes of thousands of people stampeding through the streets running in total panic would have produced many deaths.

Edit: This link gives some good info

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7417804

[Edited 2010-05-01 21:59:16]
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

TheCommodore

Sun May 02, 2010 5:08 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 4):
I can only imagine the slew of expletives that were used over the radio and to clear people out.

As you say Maverick 623, not sure if there are any words in the English language to describe his first thoughts ....   @#^$^%(&%(*&^*
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

Maverick623

Sun May 02, 2010 5:10 am

Apparently this could just be a case of being cautious:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/02/...s.square.closure/index.html?hpt=T1

Quote:
A law enforcement source said police found propane cylinders and a gas can among the items. The source said these could be supplies used by street vendors.

What made them really go all out was that there was a closed box that was smoking.

dragon-wings

Sun May 02, 2010 6:16 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):
Doesn't seem like an Al-Queda grade job to me, but they do have various "unofficial" followers.

MSNBC has brought up Al Queda lots of times in their reporting of this. They do not even mention that it could be a nut that got fired from one of the hotels or something like that.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

TheCommodore

Sun May 02, 2010 6:32 am

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 8):
MSNBC has brought up Al Queda lots of times in their reporting of this. They do not even mention that it could be a nut that got fired from one of the hotels or something like that.

Just goes to show how parodied we have all become about these sorts of things !!

It's always got to be a "Terrorist" thing.   

alberchico

Sun May 02, 2010 6:39 am

Looks like it was a serious event. 3 propane tanks were in a car that could have exploded.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8656651.stm

This is what a propane tank explosion would have been like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPtpnZFBS38

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/st...llon_Propane_Tank_Explosion/#38944

Now imagine this going off in a heavily crowded area and causing a massive stampede.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

plateman

Sun May 02, 2010 6:48 am

Just watched the press confernece by the mayor. A very serious and very scary event. To quote the mayor, we were very lucky.

A vendor saw something odd and as all New Yorkers knew by heart "if you see something, say something." He said something to a mounted cop who then called in backup while clearing the area.

There were 3 propane tanks, 2 filled gas canistsers, consumer grade fireworks, wiring, two clocks and a locked metal box.

Most of the area was closed for a while. Pretty much all of Times Square. Many tourists are unable to reach their hotels. At 3am EDT, it seems to be clearing up.

###
I stand on that very corner almost every lunch I have, it is great for people watching. So this all whole things scars the hoot out of me. But good job to the vendor for saying something and the NYPD for quickly acting. There are certainly enough cops in NYC. I can't wait to see how many more there will be come Monday.
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

BMI727

Sun May 02, 2010 7:15 am

Quoting alberchico (Reply 5):
That may be so but remember that the bomb doesn't have to be powerful, just the hordes of thousands of people stampeding through the streets running in total panic would have produced many deaths.

I'm not sure that's true, since I don't remember anything about people dying that way on 9/11, and New York would probably be one of the best prepared places where that would be the least likely to happen.

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 8):
They do not even mention that it could be a nut that got fired from one of the hotels or something like that

I think that is much more likely. I would bet that the closest possible connection to Al Queda these clowns could have is "inspiration," like the Madrid train bombers.

Quoting PlateMan (Reply 11):
There were 3 propane tanks, 2 filled gas canistsers, consumer grade fireworks, wiring, two clocks and a locked metal box.

That sounds really amateurish and half-assed to me, almost like it was supposed to do nothing more than get a rise out of people. Seriously, do they not know about Google? I bet you could find instructions to at least make something semi-functional there.

ua777222

Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 12):
I think that is much more likely. I would bet that the closest possible connection to Al Queda these clowns could have is "inspiration," like the Madrid train bombers.

Bloomberg just released a statement saying it was not an amateur bomb and people who are mad at their previous employer don't go through the effort of making a bomb and blowing up a car in a packed public place, they get a gun and shoot people.

Anyone watching C-Span during this time (7pm-9pm) would have noticed that the President was leaving his dinner every 10-15 minutes, at one point Michelle looked over to Barack like "what's up" and he gave this blank stare into the crowd--I thought it was because he was getting updated information about the oil spill. This was during the live feed that only C-Span carried as all of the other stations were doing "WHCD Coverage" that surprisingly enough, had nothing to do with the actual White House Press Correspondents Dinner.

Bloomberg was also at the dinner.
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

BMI727

Sun May 02, 2010 8:30 am

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 13):
Bloomberg just released a statement saying it was not an amateur bomb

That depends on what amateur means, and besides, I don't know what qualifications a "professional" bomb maker would have. There is still nothing about this that screams Al Queda to me. This thing wouldn't have packed too much of a punch from the descriptions I've read. It would have made a nice fireball and created some shrapnel, but probably wouldn't kill too many people. This bomb just isn't on the scale that makes me think that Osama and Co. are behind this.

ua777222

Sun May 02, 2010 9:03 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 14):
That depends on what amateur means, and besides, I don't know what qualifications a "professional" bomb maker would have. There is still nothing about this that screams Al Queda to me. This thing wouldn't have packed too much of a punch from the descriptions I've read. It would have made a nice fireball and created some shrapnel, but probably wouldn't kill too many people. This bomb just isn't on the scale that makes me think that Osama and Co. are behind this.

Would you have said the same about the little underwear bomb on Christmas? Or how about an attack on a city center when the city leader and the country's leader are sitting at a dinner hundreds of miles away laughing it up? If seeing the shoe bomber, underwear bomber, and 9/11 together don't make you think that small things were't designed by terrorists, then you have made an rash assumption about a group of people who use almost 3rd world tactics.

The owner of the licence plate was found and reported that he left the car at a junk yard a few weeks ago. The owner of that junk yard is being tracked down now.

BMI727

Sun May 02, 2010 9:25 am

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 15):
If seeing the shoe bomber, underwear bomber, and 9/11 together don't make you think that small things were't designed by terrorists, then you have made an rash assumption about a group of people who use almost 3rd world tactics.

It isn't the size, but the impact. In the case of the shoe bomber, underwear bomber, and 9/11; the relatively small weapons would have had a huge impact. Either the shoe bomber or the underwear bomber would, if successful, have killed more people than the propane Pathfinder.

The other issue is quality. Both the shoe bomber and underwear bomber used (the same as I understand it) actual explosives. I would think that Al Queda would find something with a bigger bang than propane, fireworks, and gunpowder.

Springbok747
Topic Author

Sun May 02, 2010 9:36 am

Sounds amateurish..but it could have caused some serious damage...I wonder if it really was a terrorist group or some disgruntled employee.
אני תומך בישראל

ua777222

Sun May 02, 2010 9:42 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 16):
I would think that Al Queda would find something with a bigger bang than propane, fireworks, and gunpowder.

The Al Queda guys in Denver got busted buying out explosive chemicals found in hair products, at a hair supply store.....

MD11Engineer

Sun May 02, 2010 10:26 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 17):

Sounds amateurish..but it could have caused some serious damage...I wonder if it really was a terrorist group or some disgruntled employee.

The three Al Qaeda wannabes in Germany, who tried to blow up two commuter trains a few years ago, also used propane cylinders and homemade explosives hidden in suitcases, which they left on the trains. Fortunately they didn´t read the instructions right and their bombs just fizzled. If they would have gone off, they would have caused massive casualties in the packed commuter trains.
Al Qaeda isn´t a centralised organisation anymore, as it was prior to 9/11. Nowadays Al Qaeda operates on the franchise principle, with lots of independent cells, which roughly follow the same ideology and my receive some financing and have cooperation in training, but else operate completely independently. Some of the cells are very professional and dangerous, others are just amateurs, but not less dangerous.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ltbewr

Sun May 02, 2010 11:50 am

An intense investigation is ongoing involving NY City and Federal authorities. The vehicle has been removed as of about 6:30 AM to a investigative facility. The T-shirt vendor (a Vietnam War vet) that initially spotted the original smoke condition in the vehicle did exactly what one should do - report it to the cops suspisious situations, the cops then cleared out the area and I hope they get the proper rewards for swift actions that probably saved lives. It is interesting that this vehicle was parked on a corner near a major hotel, in front of a Bank of America branch, in the middle of Times Square at 45th Street. It had 10 gallons of gasoline, fireworks, several 20 pound propane tanks, timing devices and a container like one would store guns in. The vehicle was abondened, engine left running, it's emergency flashers turned on. So far, area video does not show the driver of the vehicle, hopefully they left enough fingerprints and other evidence of who wanted to do this terror act.

A truck bomb in the middle of Times Square in NYC during a prime time with lots of people around is one of the scerarios of terror I am most concerned about occuring. Truck/van/car bombs have been used 100's of times throughout the world, causing deaths of 1000's, injuries to more 1000's, more, Billions in $$$ or = in property damage, cause huge changes in areas most likely to be targets. If this vehicle bomb had been successfuly dentonated and everything went off just right, it too could have killed and injured at least 100's, caused much property damage and cause fear by millions as to such locations. Fortuntaly, this bomb failed, but someday someone will succeed and cause more changes in our lives due over politics, religion or personal conflict.

cpd

Sun May 02, 2010 2:01 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/nyregion/03timessquare.html

Thank goodness it didn't work. Or this could have been a devastating tragedy.

Good on NY people for being watchful.

NIKV69

Sun May 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 17):
Sounds amateurish..but it could have caused some serious damage...I wonder if it really was a terrorist group or some disgruntled employee

Could be either, I would think the vehicle can be easily traced. I am curious too.

Whoops, plates were switched. Hope the VIN can yield some clues.

[Edited 2010-05-02 09:42:23]
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

PacNWjet

Sun May 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
Could be either, I would think the vehicle can be easily traced. I am curious too.

Whoops, plates were switched. Hope the VIN can yield some clues.

According to the New York Times the VIN was removed from the vehicle. The tags (as we refer to license plates here on the west coast) were switched from a Ford pick-up that recently had been taken to a junkyard in Connecticut. The FBI reportedly has ruled out the owner of the Ford as a suspect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/nyregion/03timessquare.html?hp

NIKV69

Sun May 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 23):
According to the New York Times the VIN was removed from the vehicle. The tags (as we refer to license plates here on the west coast) were switched from a Ford pick-up that recently had been taken to a junkyard in Connecticut. The FBI reportedly has ruled out the owner of the Ford as a suspect.

I'm pretty sure the VIN is engraved on parts of the vehicle so they should be able to trace it to somewhere.

Maverick623

Sun May 02, 2010 5:47 pm

According to the New York Times the VIN was removed from the vehicle.

Yea, ok.... you don't just "remove" the VIN. It's permanently engraved in certain areas.

srbmod

Sun May 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Reuters is reporting that the Pakistani Taliban claims responsibility for the failed attack.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LDE6410H5.htm

Quote:
"The Pakistani Taliban announced its responsibility for the New York attack in revenge for the two leaders al-Baghdadi and al-Mahajer and Muslim martyrs," said a statement on a website commonly used by Islamists.

Places like Times Square are very valuable soft targets. Thankfully the builders of this device fouled it up.

PacNWjet

Sun May 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 25):

Yea, ok.... you don't just "remove" the VIN. It's permanently engraved in certain areas.

I guess I should have known better than to trust "the newspaper of record." The New York Times has been on a downward spiral for a long time.

Maverick623

Sun May 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 28):

I guess I should have known better than to trust "the newspaper of record." The New York Times has been on a downward spiral for a long time.

Most newspapers have. They care more about selling them then actually getting any facts right.

MD11Engineer

Sun May 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 25):

it is usually stamped into the car structure, but you can grind it away, so that it won´t be visible to the naked eye. But etching the area with acid will show the disturbed layers of metal beneath, so that the original VIN will become visible again.

Jan

zanl188

Sun May 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 31):
it is usually stamped into the car structure, but you can grind it away, so that it won´t be visible to the naked eye. But etching the area with acid will show the disturbed layers of metal beneath, so that the original VIN will become visible again.

It's also in numerous places on the vehicle (which the NY Times article mentioned BTW)
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Dreadnought

Sun May 02, 2010 7:39 pm

You've been watching CSI 

MD11Engineer

Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 33):

You've been watching CSI

Nope, but I know a little bit about metallurgy.

Jan

TheCommodore

Sun May 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
I would think the vehicle can be easily traced.

Yeah right !

Do you really think these people will have left their personal business card on the front dash ?

I'm pretty sure the vehicle will be stolen, probably from some poor sod who now has to go through hell over this  

zanl188

Sun May 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 36):
Yeah right !

Do you really think these people will have left their personal business card on the front dash ?

It could be just that simple...

These folks weren't terribly bright..

- The device malfunctioned...
- They abandoned the vehicle with hazard lights on and engine running...
- They left the vehicle in an area where folks are expecting this kind of thing...
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

NIKV69

Sun May 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 36):

McVeigh was stupid enough to rent the vehicle he used, one never knows but I think we will get to the bottom if it sooner or later.

dragon-wings

Sun May 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 26):
Reuters is reporting that the Pakistani Taliban claims responsibility for the failed attack.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LDE6410H5.htm

Quote:
"The Pakistani Taliban announced its responsibility for the New York attack in revenge for the two leaders al-Baghdadi and al-Mahajer and Muslim martyrs," said a statement on a website commonly used by Islamists.

According to MSNBC police commissioner Ray Kelly said there is no evidence to support a claim by the Pakistani Taliban to the bomb.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36892505/ns/us_news-security?GT1=43001
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

D L X

Mon May 03, 2010 3:21 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 3):
I'm not familiar with the area, but it sounds like 6-6:30 PM in Times Square would be a pretty busy time with a lot of people walking around.

It was in fact very busy, as I was there. Stuck in traffic. I had no idea what was going on, or that anything even was going on. I eventually got through the traffic, and went to my destination as planned. It was only about 6 hours later that I found out what was up.

Crazy!!

ltbewr

Mon May 03, 2010 10:55 am

I would suspect that by sometime on Tuesday, after reviews of all kinds of potential evidence that will be found in the vehicle including fingerprints, papers, tracing the vehicle from VIN or other identity information not removed from it at least one potential suspect will be identified and even under FBI custody.

A 'Pakistani Taliban' group is claiming this is part of what is a series of bombings in the USA. Expect a lot more cops and other security forces in major public areas, transportation facilities and strict security around and in airports.

Mir

Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 45):
Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 42):
I wouldn't be surprised if this was an attempt by a redneck from the milieu around the Tea Party movement.

That is stupid. You have absolutely no evidence to support that except your own prejudices.

Well, there was this:

Law enforcement officials offered a more detailed description of the makeup of the failed car bomb found in Times Square on Saturday night, and said they were reviewing surveillance footage that showed a white man who appeared to be in his 40s walking away from the area as he looked over his shoulder and removed a layer of clothing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/nyregion/03timessquare.html?hp

I don't really care who it was - just find them and bring them to justice.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Dreadnought

Mon May 03, 2010 11:20 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 46):
Well, there was this:

Law enforcement officials offered a more detailed description of the makeup of the failed car bomb found in Times Square on Saturday night, and said they were reviewing surveillance footage that showed a white man who appeared to be in his 40s walking away from the area as he looked over his shoulder and removed a layer of clothing.

Ummmm... So? What's the connection with the Tea Party?

D L X

Mon May 03, 2010 2:59 pm

That is stupid. You have absolutely no evidence to support that except your own prejudices.

I agree. We should be extremely careful about making accusations here. Remember Richard Jewell?

On top of that, the LAST thing we should be doing is politicizing this event.

NIKV69

Mon May 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 43):
You guys are playing a very, very dangerous game here. I would consider your words and actions very carefully, because when you falsely accuse a group (or an individual) of something that's not true, and they suffer for it, bad things happen.

Who cares? You don't think of the ramifications when you are trying to take everyones attention away from the fact the current administration is a complete dud so you do the next best thing. Villify the opposition.

You have absolutely no evidence to support that except your own prejudices.

Since when does the left need that? Remember these are the same people that want us to believe the health care bill will actually reduce costs by using a loaded assumption by a office they controlled   

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 47):
What's the connection with the Tea Party?

None

Quoting D L X (Reply 48):
On top of that, the LAST thing we should be doing is politicizing this event.

We don't but it's getting close to crunch time in the election and the media would love this to be a rigth wing extremist. Good ammo. You think it's a coincidence Rachel Maddow ran a show about right wing extremism?

Looking at the video I can't see how you decipher that person's race. He does look white but beside that the quality is not that good.

DocLightning

Mon May 03, 2010 4:50 pm

It's likely a right-wing group. Leftist violence tends to take the form of rock-throwing and rioting. (I'm not condoning either, mind you. Nor am I saying that bombs are better or worse than rock throwing... if you get hit in the head and killed by a rock you're just as dead as the poor schmuck walking next to the bomb that went off).

The question is which right wing? AQ is quite right-wing. Different right wing than the McVeigh ilk, though.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

BMI727

Mon May 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 50):
None

..yet. I certainly cannot rule it out, but I find the attempts to pin it on right wing (or more specifically the Tea Party) groups, with little evidence other than a white man, despicable.

Dreadnought

Mon May 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 51):
It's likely a right-wing group. Leftist violence tends to take the form of rock-throwing and rioting. (I'm not condoning either, mind you. Nor am I saying that bombs are better or worse than rock throwing... if you get hit in the head and killed by a rock you're just as dead as the poor schmuck walking next to the bomb that went off).

I would argue that Statists are left wing, and libertarians are right wing, which would make AQ and the Nazis left-wingers.

But be that as it may, I don't buy your premise. The ultra-right (using the term as you would) might be interested in bombing some part of the federal government, as McVeigh did. Setting a bomb off in Times Square makes absolutely no sense for them whatsoever, because it does not represent any of their political targets in any way.

Blowing up non-military, non-government targets (aka a busy street full of civilians) is a hallmark of groups like Al Qaeda and a variety of historical leftist groups, like the IRA, Red Brigade, Red Army Faction etc.

[Edited 2010-05-03 10:18:59]

NIKV69

Mon May 03, 2010 5:21 pm

It's likely a right-wing group

Proof? I tell ya Doc if this turns out to be someone else I would expect an apology.

Leftist violence tends to take the form of rock-throwing and rioting. (I'm not condoning either, mind you. Nor am I saying that bombs are better or worse than rock throwing... if you get hit in the head and killed by a rock you're just as dead as the poor schmuck walking next to the bomb that went off).

Do you refuse to accept that your leftie pals are just as dangerous?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherman_(organization)

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 52):
..yet. I certainly cannot rule it out, but I find the attempts to pin it on right wing (or more specifically the Tea Party) groups, with little evidence other than a white man, despicable.

At the end of the day it's about winning elections, nothing more.

PacNWjet

Mon May 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Leftist violence tends to take the form of rock-throwing and rioting. (I'm not condoning either, mind you.

How would you qualify environmental extremists such as the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) which have used violent tactics to advance their causes? ELF's arson attacks on homes and other buildings in Vail, Colorado a few years ago constituted a bit more than rock-throwing and rioting, no? Or are ELF and similar environmental extremist groups that use violent tactics right-wing organizations?

http://coloradoindependent.com/11824...feeling-heat-from-vail-arson-fires

NIKV69

Mon May 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 60):
I hope you are not intending to imply that I am trying to decipher the person's race.

No that was my response to the video in General had nothing to do with your quote. Tried to space it but it's mis-leading.

Boeing1970

Mon May 03, 2010 6:55 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 50):
Looking at the video I can't see how you decipher that person's race. He does look white but beside that the quality is not that good.

Never mind it was taken half a block away from where the car was parked.

The articles also state he looked over his shoulder multiple times. He turns to see no one behind him, takes the shirt off while looking back (an odd thing to do if you know you just planted a bomb half a block away), and then looks right as he passes a group of people. I don’t know if that constitutes "multiple times" or a smart move for someone who wants to get away given half a block won’t do much for you out in the open given what was in the car.

I hope for the sake of everyone, the police have more than this as video evidence. This may just be someone who was in a hurry, happened to pass by and took off a sweatshirt. Witnesses claim to see things that didn't necessary occur when under stress.