Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MD11Engineer

RE: Times Square Evacuated After Bomb Scare

Mon May 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 51):
Leftist violence tends to take the form of rock-throwing and rioting. (I'm not condoning either, mind you.

Not really. Leftwing groups like the German RAF and Revolutionary Cells, the Italian Brigadi Rossi, the Basque ETA, the IRA, the Japanese Red Army and others used bombs and guns as well, but usually not targeted against an anonymous crowd, but instead against high profile persons from business, government or justice (that they often killed innocent people, who got into their way is another story). If leftwing groups used bombs, they would often warn the authorities just before it exploded to allow them to evacuate the area, while still ensuring that the bomb would cause maximum damage.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Springbok747
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Whats with all the speculation guys...the authorities aren't even considering the guy as a suspect at this stage..

Investigators released a video of a man taking off his shirt, stuffing it into his bag and them walking off, looking in the direction of the car.

Although police are keen to find the man, New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly declined to call him a suspect.

Mr Bloomberg, speaking on ABC's Good Morning America programme, warned that the person on the tape may not become a suspect.

"There are millions of people that come through Times Square," he said.

"This person happened to be in a position in which a camera got a good shot of him, and maybe he had something to do with it but there's a very good chance that he did not. We're exploring a lot of leads."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8658246.stm

In any case they think it has international links..

The failed car bomb in New York's Times Square increasingly appears to have been coordinated by several people in a plot with international ties, The Washington Post says, citing unnamed Obama administration officials.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/04/2889352.htm
אני תומך בישראל

NIKV69

Mon May 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 58):
Whats with all the speculation guys

The left needs this to be a rightie, then the can run with it till November. It's deplorable.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Boeing1970

Mon May 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 59):
The left needs this to be a rightie, then the can run with it till November. It's deplorable.

Waiting for it to turn out to be coordinated by several people in a plot with international ties so that the administration can once again claim their anti-terrorism actions are working like they did after the Delta Air Lines attempt failed.  

I can hear it now.

Newark777

Tue May 04, 2010 1:33 am

Now they're saying the "person of interest" is a naturalized citizen of Pakistani descent. Sounds like a typical tea partier to me.  
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

cws818

Tue May 04, 2010 3:38 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 52):
I would argue that Statists are left wing, and libertarians are right wing, which would make AQ and the Nazis left-wingers.

Since you are on the right wing, you no doubt find that a convenient argument.

And if it is a rightie, as you put it?
volgende halte...Station Hollands Spoor

NIKV69

Tue May 04, 2010 5:39 am

Quoting cws818 (Reply 62):
And if it is a rightie, as you put it?

Well most righties I know don't try to flee to Dubai so Doc just may owe us an apology and Rachel and Ed will have to find someone else to smear, though they are doing a great job of doing that to BP right now.

kevi747

Tue May 04, 2010 6:38 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 27):
Something about this screams "Right-Wing Extremist" a-la McVeigh.
Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 35):
LOL, yea Bill Ayers at least just placed his bombs in buildings right? What total hogwash
Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 49):
Since when does the left need that? Remember these are the same people that want us to believe the health care bill will actually reduce costs by using a loaded assumption by a office they controlled
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 50):
It's likely a right-wing group.
Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 52):
I would argue that Statists are left wing, and libertarians are right wing, which would make AQ and the Nazis left-wingers.

Jesus Christ, guys! Is there ANYTHING that doesn't relate directly to US politics in your minds? Some douchebag just tried to kill hundreds of Americans (and our guests) who were visiting Times Square and all you can think about is right vs. left? Give it a rest for a change and just be Americans.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

NIKV69

Tue May 04, 2010 7:15 am

Quoting kevi747 (Reply 64):
ANYTHING that doesn't relate directly to US politics in your minds?

Well this actually does relate to US politics in it's our relationship with Israel that is mostly to do with this in addition to the fact I was on topic in this thread until one of our famous right haters decided to blame this on a right wing extremist which should have been deleted by the mods here for not only braking the rule of not having a source to back up a ridiculous claim but clearly flamebait. Since it wasn't it will most certainly by reacted to and rightly so.

ltbewr

Tue May 04, 2010 11:31 am

Apparently they traced the previous owner of the vehicle and the purchaser was on a plane at JFK to Dubai late Monday night where he was arrested on a the flight, called back to the gate just as it was taxiing for takeoff. Another vehicle with a handgun inside was also seized at and it's operator in process of arrest, apparently he had just dropped off the alleged bomber for his flight. They are apparently from the Bridgeport, CT area. More info is quickly developing this Tuesday morning and another thread is tracing his arrest.

Dreadnought

Tue May 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Looks like they got him.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/04...erican-arrested-times-square-plot/

He almost got away. Another few minutes and his plane would have been off the ground and on its way to Dubai.

To the FBI and all other law enforcement who tracked him down, Thank You.

To DocLightning and others who thought it might be the Tea Partiers, I hope you aren't too disappointed.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

D L X

Tue May 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 67):
To DocLightning and others who thought it might be the Tea Partiers, I hope you aren't too disappointed.

As much as it disgusts me that people want to make this a political issue, let's not pretend like there were no posters here who were praying that this was a middle easterner for the exact same reason as you suggest.

Dreadnought

Tue May 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 68):

As much as it disgusts me that people want to make this a political issue, let's not pretend like there were no posters here who were praying that this was a middle easterner for the exact same reason as you suggest.

Excuse me, but I think there is a big difference between the expectation that the attacker has been the same external threat that has been at war with the US for nearly 2 decades, and the hope that it is an internal political opponent, which can be used for political advantage.

Newark777

Tue May 04, 2010 2:10 pm

let's not pretend like there were no posters here who were praying that this was a middle easterner for the exact same reason as you suggest.

No need to pray, it was the most likely outcome.

PacNWjet

Tue May 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 67):

Let's be honest, some a.netters were desperately hoping the perpetrator would be a right-wing, anti-government, backwoods, gun-toting, mail-hating survivalist. And for the record, the suspect who has been arrested is a naturalized American citizen originally from Pakistan which, the last time I checked, typically is grouped together with other countries in what is commonly referred to as "south Asia" or the "Indian subcontinent," not the "Middle East."

D L X

Tue May 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 71):

Let's be honest, some a.netters were desperately hoping the perpetrator would be a right-wing, anti-government, backwoods, gun-toting, mail-hating survivalist.

And let's be honest, some a.netters were desperately hoping that the perpertrator was not a right-wing, anti-government, backwoods, gun-toting, mail-hating survivalist for the exact same reasons.

This politicization maligns both sides. It is disgusting. And to pretend like one side's s--t doesn't stink is ludicrous.

viaggiare

Tue May 04, 2010 4:02 pm

I do expect the libs will try to get this guy aquitted, saying he was abused, detained against his will, denied his right to pray, profiled and forced to wear jail clothes incompatible with his Islamic beliefs.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

Dreadnought

Tue May 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 73):
I do expect the libs will try to get this guy aquitted, saying he was abused, detained against his will, denied his right to pray, profiled and forced to wear jail clothes incompatible with his Islamic beliefs.

I already heard a talking head this morning demanding to know if he had been read his rights.

Which in this case would be appropriate - the man is a US citizen, captured in the US - so you can't get around his constitutional rights.

There is another side of the coin as well. Gitmo prisoners who don't deserve constitutional protections in my opinion, also don't face a charge of treason, which I think this guy should.

Newark777

Tue May 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 75):
the man is a US citizen, captured in the US - so you can't get around his constitutional rights.

You have Constitutional rights here whether you are a citizen or not.

PacNWjet

Tue May 04, 2010 5:01 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 72):
And let's be honest, some a.netters were desperately hoping that the perpetrator was not a right-wing, anti-government, backwoods, gun-toting, mail-hating survivalist for the exact same reasons.

Perhaps; but they didn't say so. Perhaps a.netters who desperately hoped the perpetrator was not a right-wing, anti-government, backwoods, gun-toting, mail-hating survivalist were simply smart enough to keep their powder dry until all the facts were in. Or perhaps aside from a.netters who did think the perpetrator was not a right-wing, anti-government, backwoods, gun-toting, mail-hating survivalist, the rest of the a.net crowd kept an open mind about the identity of the perpetrator who could have been a right-wing, anti-government, backwoods, gun-toting, mail-hating survivalist, but then again could have been anyone else.

Dreadnought

Tue May 04, 2010 5:13 pm

Quoting newark777 (Reply 76):
You have Constitutional rights here whether you are a citizen or not.

It was an emphasis, not a condition. Anyone legally here deserves Constitutional rights.

And I know you are going to get your nose-hairs in a knot over that one as well, so let's save the issue for another thread, if you like.

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 77):
Perhaps; but they didn't say so. Perhaps a.netters who desperately hoped the perpetrator was not a right-wing, anti-government, backwoods, gun-toting, mail-hating survivalist were simply smart enough to keep their powder dry until all the facts were in. Or perhaps aside from a.netters who did think the perpetrator was not a right-wing, anti-government, backwoods, gun-toting, mail-hating survivalist, the rest of the a.net crowd kept an open mind about the identity of the perpetrator who could have been a right-wing, anti-government, backwoods, gun-toting, mail-hating survivalist, but then again could have been anyone else.

Ok, you lost me...  white   confused 

[Edited 2010-05-04 10:16:26]

D L X

Tue May 04, 2010 5:15 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 73):
I do expect the libs will try to get this guy aquitted,

Why? He's a terrorist.

I already heard a talking head this morning demanding to know if he had been read his rights.

Sure ya did.

Who did you hear, Charles? Why should any of us believe that when you've been so quick to politicize things?

SOBHI51

Tue May 04, 2010 5:21 pm

also don't face a charge of treason, which I think this guy should.

Do not know under which law he will be charged, but the death penalty should be an option, for him or whatever terrorist group he represent being, right, left or Muslim extrimists.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Newark777

Tue May 04, 2010 5:22 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 78):

It was an emphasis, not a condition. Anyone legally here deserves Constitutional rights.

And I know you are going to get your nose-hairs in a knot over that one as well, so let's save the issue for another thread, if you like.

I'm fairly conservative when it comes to these matters, so no nose hair knotting here. Just thought I'd clarify.

Quoting D L X (Reply 79):
Why? He's a terrorist.

They've been trying to spring the Guantanamo detainees for years now.

D L X

Tue May 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Quoting newark777 (Reply 78):
They've been trying to spring the Guantanamo detainees for years now.

From Guantanamo. Not out of jail entirely.

And let's not forget, the very conservative Supreme Court agreed.

Dreadnought

Tue May 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Who did you hear, Charles?

Some woman on CNN. I didn't note down her name, sorry.

Why should any of us believe that when you've been so quick to politicize things?

Excuse me? Check the thread. This was completely apolitical until the 27th reply, when someone said that right-wingers were probably to blame, for which he was rightfully ridiculed, and then others started spouting the same stupidity (and I call it stupidity because the target involved was nothing like anything even the kookiest right-wing group would target). I did not make this political - they did.

I think an apology might be in order.

D L X

Tue May 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 77):
I think an apology might be in order.

You're right. I confused you for someone else.

OA412

Tue May 04, 2010 11:39 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 66):
I do expect the libs will try to get this guy aquitted

Um, why? If he committed a crime, he committed a crime, end of story.

Quoting D L X (Reply 74):
Quoting newark777 (Reply 78):They've been trying to spring the Guantanamo detainees for years now.
From Guantanamo. Not out of jail entirely.

And let's not forget, the very conservative Supreme Court agreed.

Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

ltbewr

Wed May 05, 2010 1:46 am

In the investigation of who in involved with any terror act, anyone can be a terroist and have been. All investigations must be careful not to assume any particular group or persons by their ethnicty or faith are involved or you may miss the real perp.

After the Oklaholma City bombing, 'middle eastern men' were targeted as potential suspects, it took a few days when right wing nutcase McVeigh turned up as the suspect due to some good luck and an alert police officer for other reasons. The same with the Centennial - Olympic park bombing in Atlanta - a white American anti-international, anti-gay/lesbien and anti-abortion nut case. The 'shoe bomber' was of British and Carribbean background. The underpants bomber was from Africa. Then there have been Black, White and Hispanic terrorists, some connected to radical left wing nut groups in the USA in the late 1960's to the 1980's. Still the preverse desire for some to want a 'right winger TEA party type' involved with a terror act is just as wrong as wanting it to be a 'Islamic' terrorists.