Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NorthstarBoy
Topic Author

The World Cup: How Does It Work?

Tue May 18, 2010 7:54 am

I'll be the first to admit, i've never been a big European Football fan, but with the World Cup coming, it got me to wondering how it works in terms of team selection. Is it a bracket system like the final four? Is it based on each individual team's regular season win-loss record as with most sports, where the teams with the best records go to the playoffs? And once this World Cup is over, how do we track teams to see if they'll be in the next world cup?

About the only thing i know is that the world cup is comprised of national teams, other that, i'm pretty much cluless.
If someone could give me an explanation, i'd appreciate it.

nighthawk

RE: The World Cup: How Does It Work?

Tue May 18, 2010 8:14 am

Why dont you try Wikipedia, it explains pretty much anything you would ever want to know.

Oh, and it isnt "European" football, it is just Football.

gkirk

Tue May 18, 2010 8:19 am

In the UK(England) it happens like this:
1) England qualify for the World Cup
2) As soon as they qualify, the media makes England the favourites to win the World Cup
3) The rest of the UK (Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland - who don't qualify the vast majority of the time, sit back and relax and begin to enjoy whats going to happen next).
4) The World Cup starts
5) England get knocked out on penalties, much to the huge disappointment of England fans who foolishly believed the hype coming from the media.
6) Brazil/Spain/Italy win the World Cup.

The end

afterburner

Tue May 18, 2010 8:24 am

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 1):

It's the real football, where the players use their feet most of the time.  

Doona

Tue May 18, 2010 8:28 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Thread starter):
Is it a bracket system like the final four? Is it based on each individual team's regular season win-loss record as with most sports, where the teams with the best records go to the playoffs?

National teams are just that, national teams. They're not club teams, but rather a collection of the county's players. Players are selected on basis of merit, individually and separately from their ordinary club teams. The idea is to collect all the best players in a country into one national team, which you usually won't be able to do with an ordinary club.

As for tracking the teams, each country has to qualify for each tournament. This is done through qualifier rounds, a number of matches between a set group of countries, where each team plays each other twice (if I'm not mistaken). After all the matches are played, the teams with the highest number of wins qualify for the tournament. It's basically like the first rounds in the actual tournament, just more teams, more games, and more time passes in between the games.

Once the qualifier rounds get going for the 2014 WC, FIFA's website should have up to date coverage of how everything's going.

Cheers
Mats

NorthstarBoy
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2010 8:43 am

Well, i used the term European Football as a differentiation between what we here call Football, which is 22 guys on a field in pads and helmets smashing into one another to advance the ball down the field, and what we here call Soccer, which is what you call Football and what we call football you call rugby or some variation thereof.

I did look it up on Wikipedia, but there seemed to be no coherent explanation as to how the teams are chosen. Wikipedia mentioned that the teams are divided into geographic zones and that each team earns points for a win. I'm trying to get my head around it in terms of either a playoff system which whiddles x number of teams down to y number of teams who then play against one another for the championship or a bracket system that likewise whittles x number of teams down to y number of teams. I'm gathering that European Football is not a winner take all system such as we have in say the final four, where you start with 64 teams, they each play one game, the 32 winners of those games each play one game, then down to 16, 8, 4 and finally 2.

AustrianZRH

Tue May 18, 2010 10:05 am

There are basically three rounds:

1. Qualification Round

The world is divided geographically in a couple of regions roughly equivalent to the continents. Groups with 5 or 6 national teams per group are chosen by drawing from different pots, such that you don't get five top teams in one group and five underdogs in another. Pots are composed by the FIFA world ranking.

So each group has one top tier, one second tier, one third tier,... team in it. Then, it's for each group like a league, everyone plays against everyone, 3 pts for a win, 1 pt for a draw, nil for losing. Finally, the best team (or the best two teams?) of each group qualifies for the world cup.

This is played the year before the real world cup takes place.

2. First Round

In the first round of the world cup, you have 4 teams per group and more or less the same procedure as before. Usually there are 8 groups with 4 teams each. The best two teams of each group (overall 16) are qualified for the main k.o. round.

3. Main Round

This is a standard fork tournament, two teams against each other. The winning team advances to the next round, the losing team is out. So it's last 16 -> quarter finals -> semi final -> final.

Hope this was somehow understandable...

Edited to clarify.

[Edited 2010-05-18 03:06:43]

oly720man

Tue May 18, 2010 10:13 am

Quoting gkirk (Reply 2):

Somewhere between 2) and 4) the media helpfully dig up some skeletons or other nuisance to disrupt the team's preparations.

Also somewhere between 2) and 4) someone breaks a bone in their foot.

EA CO AS

Tue May 18, 2010 10:15 am

It's a celebration of the one sport on Earth in most dire need of a 60 second shot clock.  

nighthawk

Tue May 18, 2010 10:35 am

Quoting AustrianZRH (Reply 6):
This is played the year before the real world cup takes place.

Does qualifying not take place for two years prior to the tournament, or at least two seasons.

Quoting oly720man (Reply 7):
Somewhere between 2) and 4) the media helpfully dig up some skeletons or other nuisance to disrupt the team's preparations.

Also between 2) and 4) they mention 1966 daily, and during every game find some link to 1966 (the ballboy's grandfather plays golf at the same golf club as one of the 1966 players brother-in-law) and will therefor win this year because of it.

NorthstarBoy
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2010 10:37 am

Hope this was somehow understandable...

Yes, thank you, now it makes more sense. It also makes sense why it takes three years to complete the qualifying rounds, because i can guess they have to schedule the individual games around the availability of the players, who may play for separate clubs, so it becomes a matter of whan all the players can come together to play the match.

nighthawk

Tue May 18, 2010 10:58 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 10):
It also makes sense why it takes three years to complete the qualifying rounds,

It takes two years. There are two international tournaments, The World Cup, and a regional tournament for each continent, with two years between each tournament. The qualifying for each tournament is in the 2 years running up to that tournament.

racko

Tue May 18, 2010 11:04 am

In the years between world cups there also is a continental competition, i.e. the European cup, the Copa America (South America) or the Gold Cup (North America). The European Cup for example is played 2 years after each world cup, so you get a full schedule:

2010: World Cup
2010-2011: Qualifiers for the European Cup 2012
2012: European Cup
2012-2013: Qualifiers for the World Cup 2014
2014: World Cup

National games are usually played mid-week so that they don't interfere with club football, but from time to time club football takes a coordinated week off to squeeze in 2 national games.

A typical schedule in Europe looks something like this:

Saturday: Club football in national League
Wednesday: Club football in European Competitions
Wednesday: National game
Wednesday: Club football in European Competitions
Wednesday: free
Saturday: National game
Wednesday: National game

and so on.

EISHN

Tue May 18, 2010 12:51 pm

It helps if you rob a smaller country of a fair chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2D6LdNakzE

sw733

Tue May 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 2):

Depends on the year   

But at least your team makes the World Cup usually...my country (Namibia) never has. We've never even made it out of the first round of the African Cup. Therefore, many of us cheer on another team, be it South Africa or Germany usually. In addition, I am a big USA fan as I am a dual citizen currently living in the USA.

When Angola was in the World Cup back in 2006, that was fun. It would have been better had they actually, uh, you know...won a single game.

BlueElephant

Tue May 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 2):

Almost spot on mate, had a great laugh....but somewhere between 2 and 4 there's a ton of injury scares...where England Panics.

Quoting EISHN (Reply 13):

I'm not even going to click on your hand of god reference, but It was unfair in Ireland's case no doubt. At least Henry admitted it and suggested a replay. Its too bad they didn't get it. Ireland was sure to win. Don't worry though France's chances are slim.

The world is divided geographically in a couple of regions roughly equivalent to the continents.

For example: USA plays against other teams in North (and Central) America, like Mexico, Canada, Hondurus, Costa Rica etc, and there's a table series. round robin tournament. The first X teams (don't remember the number) Qualify for the World Cup.

Similarly, South America, Africa, Oceania, Asia and Europe have similar tournaments all with slightly different rules. As you could imagine...Europe is the most comeptitive.

Once all the 32 teams (31 teams and the host nation) are selected, there is a draw for the 8 groups.

2. First Round

In the first round of the world cup, you have 4 teams per group and more or less the same procedure as before.

Round Robin as suggested.

after which the two top teams from each group go into a bracket (like March Madness) to crown a champion.

The normal favorites to win the World Cup are the Football Powerhouses: Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany (no specific order)

USA, Mexico, Ivory Coast, Ghana all appear to be dark horses...to be quite honest the USA's chances are generally slim

This years World cup's groupings can be found here.
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/

If I were you and wanted to watch...or to get an understanding of just how massive the world cup is, find a very popular sports bar, and go watch a game that does NOT include the USA.

sw733

Tue May 18, 2010 2:26 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 15):
France's chances

no poetry allowed on a.net

ANITIX87

Tue May 18, 2010 2:28 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 2):
5) England get knocked out on penalties, much to the huge disappointment of England fans who foolishly believed the hype coming from the media.

And then someone re-writes the 3 Lions song for next year's world cup. What are we on now, version 12?

Quoting oly720man (Reply 7):

And has sex with his teammates former wife or girlfriend. Hell, if one were so bold, he should go for his coach's daughter or something! REALLY make a statement. Who knows? Maybe an angry coach will be more motivating!

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 5):
I'm gathering that European Football is not a winner take all system such as we have in say the final four, where you start with 64 teams, they each play one game, the 32 winners of those games each play one game, then down to 16, 8, 4 and finally 2.

It is a winner-take-all in the final rounds. As one of the above explanations seems to have cleared it up for you, I don't repeat it all. I, for one, think the system is great. It adds a huge level of important to the first couple of games and has the potential to make the third game in the group stage a "life or death" situation (although I hate when the two advancing teams are set in stone and both matches are played like high-school level soccer).

TIS

Aesma

Tue May 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 13):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2D6L...NakzE

I agree with you on that one. And Henry wasn't really vocal about a replay, at first anyway.

I mostly don't care about football, but once in a while I watch a match, usually one that involves the French team so I know some players  However I enjoy following the European and world cup (not the qualification process). Half of my family is Italian so I can be happy if they win, but I was not last time, to say the least. My best friend is Brazilian, so another team I can support.

One thing that has not been emphasized is that national teams means the players have to be nationals, so that leads to some questionable changes of nationality. Another thing is the importance of the coach, he's the one who chooses the players so the hopes of the country are on his shoulders. The life of the current French coach might be in danger... 

oly720man

Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 17):
What are we on now, version 12?

8 perhaps, but "44 years of hurt" probably doesn't scan as well as "30 years of hurt"

NIKV69

Tue May 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 2):
2) As soon as they qualify, the media makes England the favourites to win the World Cup
3) The rest of the UK (Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland - who don't qualify the vast majority of the time, sit back and relax and begin to enjoy whats going to happen next).
4) The World Cup starts
6) Brazil/Spain/Italy win the World Cup.

The end

Epic, but you forgot Argentina and Germany and unless I am crazy when did Spain win?

ANITIX87

Tue May 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 20):
Epic, but you forgot Argentina and Germany and unless I am crazy when did Spain win?

Spain won 2008's Euro tournament. But they're a favorite in South Africa this year.

TIS

Newark777

Tue May 18, 2010 3:55 pm

So that's the reason ESPN has been running all those commercials with the apartheid undertones......

It's that once every four years time again when the US pays attention to soccer. And even then, not that much.  

gatorfan

Tue May 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):
It's a celebration of the one sport on Earth in most dire need of a 60 second shot clock.

What's always cracked me up about that sentiment is that American absolutely love no hitters and perfect games in baseball. What could be more boring than that?

Newark777

Tue May 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Quoting gatorfan (Reply 23):
What could be more boring than that?

When that happens in baseball, the pitcher has usually pitched the best game of his life. In soccer, it means nothing happened.

LTU932

Tue May 18, 2010 4:31 pm

I'll be the first to admit, i've never been a big European Football fan, but with the World Cup coming, it got me to wondering how it works in terms of team selection.

It's simple, Gary Lineker put it perfectly clear: "Football is a simple game: 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win".  

airportugal310

Tue May 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Quoting newark777 (Reply 24):
When that happens in baseball, the pitcher has usually pitched the best game of his life. In soccer, it means nothing happened.

This is possibly the funniest thing I have read today!

Go Portugal!

signol

Tue May 18, 2010 6:36 pm

It means the goalkeeper probably made the best saves of his life  

signol

LTU932

Tue May 18, 2010 7:10 pm

And also: a pitch is in football something completely different from a pitch in baseball.  

NIKV69

Tue May 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 21):
Spain won 2008's Euro tournament

Which doesn't mean a whole lot.

they're a favorite in South Africa this year.

Favorites at the WC are worse than the favorite in the Kentucky Derby, I remember Columbia was favored to win the 94' WC. Didn't quite work out that way.

TransIsland

Tue May 18, 2010 8:16 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 29):

Which doesn't mean a whole lot.

No, of course not...  

virgin744

Tue May 18, 2010 8:22 pm

The best team wins the World Cup tournament!
Easy.

EZEIZA

Tue May 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Spain won 2008's Euro tournament. But they're a favorite in South Africa this year.

I'm sure they will choke. They have one of the best teams, but they are "too favourites". In Spain, the press makes them favourites before every tournament, after winning the Euro, they already think they won the WC. And many times, so much positive pressure makes the players even more nervous.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 29):
I remember Columbia was favored to win the 94' WC.

They were never favourites. Thay had done an amazing quali, and were expected to reach the quarter finals at least, but favourite? In the WC, it's always Brazil, Italy, Germany and a fourth team that varies (in 2010, it's Spain). Then the tournament can go differently, but the favourites are always the same teams.
Oh, and btw, it's Colombia, not Columbia  

gatorfan

Tue May 18, 2010 8:46 pm

When that happens in baseball, the pitcher has usually pitched the best game of his life.

Boring.................

Newark777

Tue May 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Quoting gatorfan (Reply 33):
Boring.................

Hey, to each their own.  

Longhornmaniac

Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 pm

Just to clarify how the qualification process works in the North American (CONCACAF) and South American (CONMEBOL) regions.

The process described above is precisely how it works, however there is a caveat for these two regions.

In CONCACAF, the top 3 teams automatically qualify (this year, USA, Mexico, Honduras). In CONMEBOL, the top 4 teams automatically qualify (this year, Brazil, Chile Argentina, Paraguay)

The 4th place team in CONCACAF (this year, Costa Rica) play the 5th place team in CONMEBOL (Uruguay) in a 2-leg (meaning home and home, San Jose and Montevideo), with aggregate goals the deciding factor. The winner of that playoff qualifies for the WC, and the other is sent home. Uruguay won.

It was actually kind of funny because the US scored a ridiculous goal (at Saprissa) in stoppage time to force Costa Rica into the 4th spot.

The qualification process for the 2010 World Cup is as follows:

CONCACAF: 3 automatic, possibly 1 additional
CONMEBOL: 4 automatic, possibly 5
UEFA (Europe region): 13
AFC (Asia region): 4 automatic, possibly 5 (playoff with OFC)
OFC (Oceania region): 4 automatic, possibly 5
CAF (Africa region): 5 automatic
Host Nation: South Africa

This varies a bit from tournament to tournament.

Cheers,
Cameron

lxa333

Tue May 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Once USA drops out of the competition Im going with Ingerrland as always, Englands not hype at least this year, with the likes of Lampard, Rooney, and Terry they should be able make it far. Brazil is all hype this year. Brazil isnt going anywhere, same with Germany and Italy. Old teams. Semifinalists should be England, Spain and 2 other teams which Im not sure of. HEAR ME ON THIS ONE PEOPLE.

Nobody gives England the respect it deserves, analysts will talk about Kaka a trashy player who failed to produce at Real Madrid for 60 million euros, but on the other hand according to them Lampard is a nobody with 22 goals and 15 assists in the premier league(best league in the world). The media in England should just let the team play and not put pressure on them.

EZEIZA

Tue May 18, 2010 9:21 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 35):
The 4th place team in CONCACAF (this year, Costa Rica) play the 5th place team in CONMEBOL (Uruguay)

which is actually a new thing. Until the 2006 WC, the play off match was between the 5th Conmebol and a team from Oceania (can't remember what position, but I believe it was the first qualified). If I'm not mistaken, for 2002 and 2006, it was Uruguay vs. Australia. And for 1994 it was Argentina vs. Australia

racko

Tue May 18, 2010 9:50 pm

England's out in the quarter-finals. So is Germany, by the way, because our coach is a friggin idiot.

Spain is gonna win it. Their squad is outstanding and the Euro win should give them the necessary confidence.

ScarletHarlot

Tue May 18, 2010 9:51 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 26):
Go Portugal!
Força Portugal!

CONCACAF

That's the sound my cat makes when she has a hairball!

BlueElephant

Tue May 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Quoting LXA333 (Reply 36):
Nobody gives England the respect it deserves, analysts will talk about Kaka a trashy player who failed to produce at Real Madrid for 60 million euros, but on the other hand according to them Lampard is a nobody with 22 goals and 15 assists in the premier league(best league in the world). The media in England should just let the team play and not put pressure on them.

I actually think Argentina will produce in the World Cup...England?...see Above Nighthawk got it spot on. You're falling into the England Hype.

Spain and Argentina in the Final Four, along with Brazil and Germany for me.
If that's possible. Don't know how the bracket plays out.

NIKV69

Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 32):
Thay had done an amazing quali, and were expected to reach the quarter finals at least, but favourite? In the WC, it's always Brazil, Italy, Germany and a fourth team that varies (in 2010, it's Spain). Then the tournament can go differently, but the favourites are always the same teams.
Oh, and btw, it's Colombia, not Columbia

Actually the media was hyping them and Valderrama to no end. Brazil, Germany and Italy are always considered favorotes becuase they are soccer powers but it's too general. Actually that year Italy should have been the favorite. They were far and away the best all around team. Brazil's goalie was terrible and Germany's defense wasn't so great.

Rj111

Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 am

Of course, for our Neanderthal friends North of the border the typical routine is this...

1)Scotland fail to qualify for the World Cup
2)Repeat step 1

Marcus

Wed May 19, 2010 1:02 am

In Mexico the qualifying process is like this.....

1.- Mexico is eliminated on the 4th match from the WC.
2.- Team returns to Mexico while the coach (from another country) goes directly to his country with his pockets full of money instead of going back to Mexico.
3.- You have 6 months of 24/7 news media analysis on what went wrong and what could have been.
4.- One year of silence about WC.
5.- One and a half years after the last WC a worldwide search for a new coach starts.
6.- The Mexican Football Federation gets the checkbook out and starts offering ridiculously high sums of money.
7.- A coach is selected that 50% of the country loves and 50% of the country hates.
8.- Early stages of the qualifying round start and Mexico gets caught with it's pants down.
9.- Call for a replacement of the coach start gathering momentum.
10.- You see the "seleccionados" faces on ads for things like pizza, yoghurt, bread, elections, cars, sportswear, potato chips, razors, banks, tires, soda, water, gatorade, airlines, feminine hygiene products (not!) etc. etc.
11.- Head coach is fired and a new guy is brought in with even more money going to his pockets...still loved by 50% of the country and hated by the other half.
12.- After a grilling from the media the team starts to win some games.
13.- Some players change girlfriends/wives (not necessarily with each other).
14.- Players transform in to divas right before your eyes.
15.- Mexico humiliates island nations in the Caribbean that can fit the whole population in the stadium, the local baker is the goalie and the head coach is a taxi driver at the local airport.
16.- Mexico get's it's behind handed over to them in the US and some Central American countries.
17.- Mexico repays the favor to the US and CA countries at "Azteca Stadium" in Mexico City.
18.- Mexico qualifies to the WC.
19.- The whole country loves the head coach by now.
20.- Media portrays the national team as virtual world champions....now it's only a matter of winning some games at the WC.
21.- Still you can't open a magazine, newspaper or turn on the TV without seeing the faces of the team in ads for all sorts of products.
22.- Mexico does a preparation tour with friendly games in Mexico and the US.
23.- The president at the time visits the team and has his picture taken with them.
24.- 24/7 media analysis of what games the team will win, loose or draw continue on TV.
25.- On the day the team flies to the country where the WC will be held Mexico City airport is a circus of fans, mariachis, camera crews and countless images of the Virgin of Guadalupe.
26.- Sales of Mexican flags, big screen TV's and green shirts skyrocket by about 1000%.
27.- WC starts and the team wins the game that according to TV analysts they were supposed to draw, loose the one supposed to win, and draw the one supposed to loose.
28.- Mexican media has a field day with reports of Mexican fans getting late to games, getting lost on their way to the match, peeing where they were not supposed to, loosing their entry tickets and tour operators that took the fans money and then disappeared with both the money and the entry tickets.
29.- Mexico qualifies to the next round.
30.- Mexico looses.....return to step 1.

EZEIZA

Wed May 19, 2010 2:02 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 40):
actually think Argentina will produce in the World Cup

I hope not. I am hoping this WC to be the end of Maradona's BS

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 41):
Actually the media was hyping them and Valderrama to no end

What media? Colombian! The rest of the football world was impressed with the team (which was very good), but they were never candidates to bring the cup home.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 41):
Actually that year Italy should have been the favorite. They were far and away the best all around team.

Italy made it to the final ... that's why they are favourites. Because more often than not, they reach semis at least. And when they don't, they don't even lose the game and end up out because of penalty shootout.
Brazil the same, and Germany .. well, they played 7 WC finals.
Point is, in such a competition, it helps, but it doesn't really matter who has the best team, rather, what team can deal better with the pressure. In 2006 Italy was far from having the best team, and they won. As an example of the conrtary, you have Argentina in 2002 .. arguably the best team, and yet out in the first round.

Newark777

Wed May 19, 2010 2:26 am

Quoting Marcus (Reply 43):
peeing where they were not supposed to

Including beer cups that then get promptly thrown on the field. Stay classy Mexico.

Alias1024

Wed May 19, 2010 3:32 am

Quoting newark777 (Reply 45):
Quoting Marcus (Reply 43):
peeing where they were not supposed to

Including beer cups that then get promptly thrown on the field. Stay classy Mexico.

Don't forget the "Osama" chants.

OFC (Oceania region): 4 automatic, possibly 5

That should be zero automatic, possibly one (playoff vs. AFC)

Doona

Wed May 19, 2010 7:55 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 46):
Don't forget the "Osama" chants.

While in bad taste, is it really a surprise that the "other side" in a football match are dicks? And organised football supporters in particular tend to do anything possible to piss off the other side.

And, as the US soccer federation president Contiguglia said: "It's better than having things thrown at you".

A lot worse has happened in other places; riots, all manner of violence. Chants and whistling during your national anthem is nothing compared to what could happen, so stop whining.

Cheers
Mats

Rj111

Wed May 19, 2010 10:00 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 25):
It's simple, Gary Lineker put it perfectly clear: "Football is a simple game: 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win".

It'd be interesting to hear Lineker's thoughts on warfare  

AmricanShamrok

Wed May 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Or soccer to us Irish and American folk