iairallie
Topic Author

Living In Miami Vs. Chicago

Fri May 21, 2010 7:02 am

Soliciting feedback on living in either of these cities. Thanks!
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

TurkishWings

RE: Living In Miami Vs. Chicago

Fri May 21, 2010 7:22 am

Do you like it hot or cold?  

Chicago is by far the best US city I have ever visited.. Great social life, well organized and well situated for traveling around... I thought it was classier than any other US city... Miami, on the other hand, was a big disappointment for me... The only advantage of Miami is the weather...

If I were you, I would go for Chicago and when you get too cold, visit a warmer place down south  
Coffee - Tea or Me?

tbar220

Fri May 21, 2010 1:02 pm

I can't speak for Miami, but I've been living in Chicago and Illinois for the last 9 years. Chicago is great for its social scene, fantastic restaurants and bars. There are lots of wonderful parks and the Lakefront is a real gem. I also absolutely love the summer and fall for all the outdoor music festivals, food festivals, street festivals, beer festivals, etc. The whole city comes to life starting around May. The farmers market's are numerous and high quality. The public transit is decent enough to get you anywhere in the city without a car (I don't own one).

The down side is hands down the weather. I don't mind it too much, its nice to have some real seasons to speak of which noticeable changes in the weather. But some years the winter can be tough, especially when you get that late season spring snowstorm. This really makes you appreciate spring - fall that much more.

Otherwise, just look at both and figure out which one you would prefer.
NO URLS in signature

mt99

Fri May 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Quoting iairallie (Thread starter):

Ive been in Chicago for 12 years - an i cannot think i can live anywhere else.

Sure Chicago cold and snowy, but the summers man - they are perfect. January and February are the worse - but they make for good conversation  

If you do choose Chicago, though.. live IN Chicago - stay away from the 'burbs!

I trully despise South Florida - so i wont give you any comments on it. If you cant say something nice about someone (someplace)...

Quoting tbar220 (Reply 2):
I also absolutely love the summer and fall for all the outdoor music festivals, food festivals, street festivals, beer festivals, etc. The whole city comes to life starting around May

Which there are several to choose from every weekend from Memorial Day till the fall
Step into my office, baby

waterpolodan

Fri May 21, 2010 1:49 pm

I've grown up/lived in Miami for the majority of my life, and I've been to Chicago for about 5 hours when I flew up there to drive to South Bend to visit Notre Dame as a senior in high school, so I have limited experience to compare them. That said, 5 hours in Chicago is enough to tell me that the people there are 100% nicer than they are here. I honestly hate the people that I share this city with for the most part. They're rude, they're materialistic, they can't drive or speak English... Yes, I'm painting the people here with an incredibly broad brush and there are plenty of nice, respectful, intelligent people, but they certainly aren't a majority. However, the city is beautiful, the weather is far better than anywhere up north, and there are some great places to eat. Personally, I'll take the population of jerks and the great weather over a cold, miserable winter with limited sunlight any day. My parents made the same choice, they met in college in Chicago and lived there for a few years before moving here for the last 40 years and haven't regretted it.

sw733

Fri May 21, 2010 1:57 pm

I was born and raised in Namibia, but to parents from Chicago...I spent half of my high school years in Chicago, all of my family lives there (even my mom who left Namibia to move back to Chicago after my father's passing), and I am in Chicago every couple of months. I know the city like the back of my hand, as well as the suburbs.

I also know Miami fairly well...granted, nowhere near as well, but well.

Chicago is better...now, I wouldn't necessarily want to live in either, and I don't plan to ever live in either, but I would take Chicago over Miami in a heartbeat.

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 1):
The only advantage of Miami is the weather...

Not true! If you like douchebags, it's an amazing location   

Quoting mt99 (Reply 3):

If you do choose Chicago, though.. live IN Chicago - stay away from the 'burbs!

Depends. In your youth, yes...when it comes time to raise a family, move to the 'burbs - better (public) schools, more reasonable (but still expensive) housing, etc. All the usual reasons...

Also, depends where in the city of course...Englewood vs. Naperville, give me Naperville!

ATCtower

Fri May 21, 2010 3:05 pm

I can honestly tell you, Miami is the seventh circle of hell.

I went to college there, and unless you speak (and appear) perfect Cuban, you will be ostracized. (no, Spanish is not good enough). I have never lived in Chicago, but time spent there has been fairly pleasant (just dont expect too much security on the South side).

Cost of living is through the roof, people are rude as hell, and there is a lot to be said for a city voted 5 consecutive times to have the worst drivers in America. I can attest, having been in Juarez and Mexico city (where sparse laws are sparsely enforced), the driving in Miami is a MILLION times worse. There is no sympathy/empathy, and everyone in the God forsaken city is only out for themself. Miami has some of the worst gang problems in America, there are parts of the city even the police refuse to go, and crime is beyond rampant. You can live in a million dollar home and be only a quarter mile from one of these parts.

I have a number of times said the US would be better off sawing off the state south of the Palm Beach County line, East of the Everglades...

Anything beyond this would only be inflammatory. If you are looking for a bit more info, IM me.
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

flymia

Fri May 21, 2010 3:12 pm

If you stay in the Urban Area of Chicago then it is much more of a city like living, decent mass transit walkable etc.. The people there are nice and Chicago is what you expect from a city of its size. It is a nice place to live besides for the terrible winters and the summers are not good either it can get very hot in Chicago as well.
Miami of course has the advantage on the weather great winters and hot summers but almost all of the US has hot summers. Miami offers more of an international feel, Miami is a very latin america caribbean influenced city. It has a decent urban core with Downtown and Miami Beach if it only had better public transportation. Miami like LA is a car town so a car is needed unless you work and live in one of the dense urban areas. Miami's night life is also much better then Chicago and Miami is a true 24 hour city you can do just about anything at any time in Miami. Also in Miami in some spots your more likely to here Spanish or Haitian Creole then english. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Both cities are some of the best in the US has to offer but they are very different.
Of course Miami also has year round beaches and the Keys, Bahamas and Orlando are just a few hours away.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

HOMER71

Fri May 21, 2010 3:12 pm

I bet Lebron James is asking for the same feedback...  
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

airportugal310

Fri May 21, 2010 3:26 pm

I have visited Boca Raton a few times in the past year and absolutely love it there.

Might I suggest that over Miami? Drive time to/from either location isnt bad
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

desertjets

Fri May 21, 2010 3:34 pm

I am a Chicagoan by birth, but haven't lived there since I was about 10 years old. I finally visited last summer and I loved it. The energy the excitement was all there. It is a feeling I get from very few places. NYC and Toronto being the other two cities that I get that vibe from. But unlike NYC Chicago is on a more manageable and humane scale, plus the general friendly mid-western vibe is strong. While I am not sure I'd want to deal with the cold winters again, Chicago is a place I could easily see myself moving to.

My parents, and many of their friends and counterparts of their generation left the city and then ultimately left the greater Chicago area. But I think their experience with the City is far different than what my generation, especially coming back to it, is. I think in large part it is due to the fact that they grew up in the city proper and began to see its decline during the 60s and 70s and fled to the suburbs and then to warmer climates. Having grown up in suburbia the draw of more urban locales is strong.

Never been to Miami but I am not much of a fan of Florida in general.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

CometII

Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

With all due respect, I think many of the people ripping Miami are not only being intellectually dishonest, I sense a bit of an ethnic grind.

(Yes, in parts of Miami proper, Spanish is the prime tongue but move 30 minutes north to FLL and it's a whole different story).

The biggest rip is the drivers and crime it seems. Chicago is a nightmare at rush hour, worse than Miami. And as for the crime, it seems all those that ripped Miami just happen to have selective amnesia, what are the odds. Chicago has areas as we speak that are literal War zones, where kids are dropping dead left and right, and the police is not even going into. Anyone watch CNN or Fox News? Sheez. There is no such zone in Miami.

Also, Chicago has an even worse problem with it's finances and political corruption, and to top Miami on that category is quite an achievement, but they have.

All that said, it is totally true that you have to choose your friends carefully in MIA. Many people come to this city are naturally narcissistic (many are rich, or are beautiful), and others are just very stressed, immigrants and the like. I'm sure people in Chicago are quite a bit more friendly generally speaking. But remember, Americans can be very friendly on the surface, but rather cold and distant at their core. ''Friendships'' are not long lasting, just passing. In Miami, perhaps due to the latin, new yorker, and uropean influx, it is hard to get to talk to people and they can even be rude, but ONCE you trully become their friends, there is a lasting relation (ask anyone about latin friends, or new yorkers once you get to know them, or europeans).

Nightlife Miami is a trillion times better, and there are more events throughout the year, obviously specially in winter when up north social life grinds to a halt except in clubs and the like.

Chicago has a lot more history, museums, and it's a classier city that knows what it is. Miami is like a growing kid, it doesn't know yet what it wants to be... that can be really bad, and really good.

In the end, if you like a classic elegance of urban lifestyle, choose Chicago all the way. If you lke a bit more edgier, flashier, and a sense of living in an up and coming town, then choose Miami. For all the negative things some have said here about MIA, go downtown and check all the young proffessionals from all over America and the world flocking to all the new young yuppy hotspots in the Brickell district... I got on the metromover train recently, and just in the trips around the area, I heard young people that where talking amongst each other saying they had moved two months ago from Virginia, from Alabama, from Cali, even Wyomimg.

jacobin777

Fri May 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Interesting...I was born in Chicago (Lincoln Park actually-so that makes a bonfide yuppie..   ) and grew up on the North Side (north suburbs). Went to college and graduate school in Chicago. I lived in Downtown Chicago as well for about 8 years. I moved to the West Coast about 10 years ago but sill live in Chicago 2-4 months/year as a lot of my family live in Chicago (I own property in Chicago as well).

I've been to Miami a number of times,but never lived there-though I do own a home up in Port St. Lucie, FL.

While I'm glad I moved out of Chi'town, its a great city and have no problems recommending it to anyone.....With the caveat when its not cold.   .then I really hate the place...

As far as the descriptions of Chicago, I think the previous above comments are correct.
"Up the Irons!"

mt99

Fri May 21, 2010 4:40 pm

Quoting CometII (Reply 11):
Also, Chicago has an even worse problem with it's finances and political corruption, and to top Miami on that category is quite an achievement, but they have.

That part of the City's Charm!..

Chicago is a nightmare at rush hour, worse than Miami

Who cares about rush hour if you live/work in the city?

Chicago has areas as we speak that are literal War zones, where kids are dropping dead left and right, and the police is not even going into. Anyone watch CNN or Fox News? Sheez. There is no such zone in Miami.

True. Thats why people don't go there...

Many people come to this city are naturally narcissistic

My #1 Gripe about MIA.

People in Chicago are naturally the opposite. Most people are level headed and less into flash - people are definetley more "real". You have people that earn 6 figures waiting for the train along every other other Tom, Dick and Harry..

Nightlife Miami is a trillion times better,

Probably - BUT -personally - i would not make that my primary decision on a place to live. And its not like Chicago does not have places to go out/

even Wyomimg.

Well.. I mean come on!

Newark777

Fri May 21, 2010 4:47 pm

But remember, Americans can be very friendly on the surface, but rather cold and distant at their core. ''Friendships'' are not long lasting, just passing.

Ouch, sounds like someone's a little bitter. Bad relationships much?   
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

LAXintl

Fri May 21, 2010 5:05 pm

As a Southern California resident I'll take Miami (or South Florida MIA-FLL-PBI strip) over Chicago any day.

Yes Chicago is more of a true city then the spread out Metro area that South Florida is but for me the lower density, some fantastic neighborhoods, lots of recreational opportunities and obviously the weather (think snowdrift versus balmy beach days) make South Florida quality of life my choice over Chicago.

Additionally while I see some people have hinted at it as being negative, I think the ethnic vibrancy from the food, arts and entertainment that Miami region has to offer makes it one more bonus reason in its favor.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

desertjets

Fri May 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 15):
Yes Chicago is more of a true city then the spread out Metro area that South Florida is but for me the lower density, some fantastic neighborhoods, lots of recreational opportunities and obviously the weather (think snowdrift versus balmy beach days) make South Florida quality of life my choice over Chicago.

Additionally while I see some people have hinted at it as being negative, I think the ethnic vibrancy from the food, arts and entertainment that Miami region has to offer makes it one more bonus reason in its favor.

I think you haven't ever seen what Chicago actually looks like. Outside of the downtown core, north shore area, the city itself is nothing but a sea of bedroom communities. You can easily (though not always cheaply) find a nice single family home in a suburban looking setting, but still have the benefit of being able to walk to places, and have access to good public transit etc. And it isn't like Chicago is lacking in the ethnic vibrancy department. Chicago has been and is a city of immigrants. I would grant you that the mid-western/American vibe does frame all of that though, so it may not be the same in the way that Miami plays off its ethnic diversity.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

LAXintl

Fri May 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Oh I know Chicago. One of my clients is based there and have spent many of weeks in the burbs and the city.

I'll say, I do prefer it as a city more over NYC where I worked for 5 years which to me is a dirty, aging, expensive and rough concrete jungle, but at the end of the day Chicago just does not grab my core while also having a very significant weather downside.

Miami region by no means is perfect, however this thread was about CHI vs MIA, and my clear vote would be for South Florida.

CometII

Fri May 21, 2010 5:28 pm

I think Chicago has just as much ethnic vibrancy as Miami, it is just more old world obviously, and more integrated with the city, whereas MIA is a lot more of enclaves... again different cities at different times. 60 years ago Chicago was were Miami is now, in many ways with it's Polish area, Italian area, Scandinavian area, Chinese, etc, etc.

I think Chicago is a great city, and it is America's 2nd. I think Chicago and New York are one type of urbanity, and Los Angeles and Miami are another (the top two examples in both), I think most know what I mean.

Newark,

It is just a fact of having gotten to know different cultures. Americans, we are very polite people, in fact more so than most other places, with strangers. I guess what I meant is that this seemingly outward first warmth confuses people from other cultures into thinking they have made a friend, when in reality is just us being polite and so later are shocked when they never hear from us again.

In many other countries, people are ''rude'' or simply very dry towards strangers, but both Americans and others can turn to be great friendships. My point was that our initial cheery nature gives many a wrong impression.

Newark777

Fri May 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Quoting CometII (Reply 18):

I think Chicago is a great city, and it is America's 2nd. I think Chicago and New York are one type of urbanity, and Los Angeles and Miami are another (the top two examples in both), I think most know what I mean.

I was shocked the first time I went to LA, I always thought of cities as having the "concrete canyons" of NYC. I thought, and still do to an extent, that cities like LA feel more like huge suburbs than actual cities.

It is just a fact of having gotten to know different cultures. Americans, we are very polite people, in fact more so than most other places, with strangers. I guess what I meant is that this seemingly outward first warmth confuses people from other cultures into thinking they have made a friend, when in reality is just us being polite and so later are shocked when they never hear from us again.

In many other countries, people are ''rude'' or simply very dry towards strangers, but both Americans and others can turn to be great friendships. My point was that our initial cheery nature gives many a wrong impression.

Gotcha, I see what you mean.

CometII

Fri May 21, 2010 5:38 pm

Quoting newark777 (Reply 19):

I was shocked the first time I went to LA, I always thought of cities as having the "concrete canyons" of NYC. I thought, and still do to an extent, that cities like LA feel more like huge suburbs than actual cities.

Well LA has always been considered a collection of satellite cities merged into one huge sprawl. Miami is like that too, but with the twist that MIA is actually developing that ''canyon'' urban core (the skyline has changed radically in Miami), around the downtown and Brickell areas. In 10 or 15 years Miami may be both an urban dense zone like Chicago, with a sprawling suburban region going from Homestead to Palm Beach, something like 80 miles (but only 10 to 12 miles east to west, due to the everglades).

Aeroflot001

Fri May 21, 2010 6:19 pm

Living here in MIA has not been a relatively good life fortunatley living in a calm suburbian area called Kendall very west into Dade county about a 20 min drive from MIA. MIAs nightlife does flourish especially in Miami Beach. However when it comes to the people they just arent as nice as in other places. My parents are so dissapointed that they decided to go up to Broward to buy our new camry as we felt we would be treated better here. In the more calm areas of Florida such as Naples or Orlando you can really feel the difference in personality. Services at restaurants seem to bve much better too. Such as better attention faster service and goood tasting food. I even noticed a difference in McDonalds between here and Ft. Myers.

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 6):
I went to college there, and unless you speak (and appear) perfect Cuban, you will be ostracized. (no, Spanish is not good enough).

I speak english perfectly (born here) although spanish was my first language and it continues to be a primary language at home. (Im glad I do because many kids in my generation do speak spanish fluently however you can tell that they do have some problems when it comes to some conjugations and especially writing. In all my years have never experienced any bad vibes from cubans or any spanish speaking ethnic group in particula while talking to them. There have been instances where Ive come across some down right rude idiots but both in English and Espanol and from places all around. So no shots have been taken at my Argentin/Puerto Rico Mix of an Accent.

Hope this helps and I would love to go up to ORD one day though everyone who has gone up there says its completely worth the visit.

Аэрофлот001
Искренне Ваш

IMissPiedmont

Fri May 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Living in Chicago vs living in Miami id akin to comparing sniffing a butt vs sniffing a sweaty armpit. Thay both suck though not as bad as El Paso.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

fxramper

Fri May 21, 2010 6:28 pm

Lesser of two evils?   

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 22):
Thay both suck though not as bad as El Paso.

Hell Paso?   

OA412

Fri May 21, 2010 6:43 pm

even Wyomimg.

Have you ever been to Wyoming? If I lived there I'd be desperate to leave too.  
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

desertjets

Fri May 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Just so we aren't completely bagging on Miami.

A plus in the Miami column it that is had an active adult entertainment industry. Not that I want to see my fellow A.netters in a starring role on the BangBus or anything.

Of course my biases about Miami are heavily influenced by Scarface, the Golden Girls, and that awful show with the Kardashians in Miami.

ATCtower

Fri May 21, 2010 7:35 pm

With all due respect, I think many of the people ripping Miami are not only being intellectually dishonest, I sense a bit of an ethnic grind.

(Yes, in parts of Miami proper, Spanish is the prime tongue but move 30 minutes north to FLL and it's a whole different story).

The biggest rip is the drivers and crime it seems. Chicago is a nightmare at rush hour, worse than Miami. And as for the crime, it seems all those that ripped Miami just happen to have selective amnesia, what are the odds. Chicago has areas as we speak that are literal War zones, where kids are dropping dead left and right, and the police is not even going into. Anyone watch CNN or Fox News? Sheez. There is no such zone in Miami.

All that said, it is totally true that you have to choose your friends carefully in MIA. Many people come to this city are naturally narcissistic (many are rich, or are beautiful), and others are just very stressed, immigrants and the like. I'm sure people in Chicago are quite a bit more friendly generally speaking. But remember, Americans can be very friendly on the surface, but rather cold and distant at their core. ''Friendships'' are not long lasting, just passing. In Miami, perhaps due to the latin, new yorker, and uropean influx, it is hard to get to talk to people and they can even be rude, but ONCE you trully become their friends, there is a lasting relation (ask anyone about latin friends, or new yorkers once you get to know them, or europeans).

Nightlife Miami is a trillion times better, and there are more events throughout the year, obviously specially in winter when up north social life grinds to a halt except in clubs and the like.

Chicago has a lot more history, museums, and it's a classier city that knows what it is. Miami is like a growing kid, it doesn't know yet what it wants to be... that can be really bad, and really good.

In the end, if you like a classic elegance of urban lifestyle, choose Chicago all the way. If you lke a bit more edgier, flashier, and a sense of living in an up and coming town, then choose Miami. For all the negative things some have said here about MIA, go downtown and check all the young proffessionals from all over America and the world flocking to all the new young yuppy hotspots in the Brickell district... I got on the metromover train recently, and just in the trips around the area, I heard young people that where talking amongst each other saying they had moved two months ago from Virginia, from Alabama, from Cali, even Wyomimg.

PLEASE do not pull the "R" card and claim it has ethnic merit. I appear a bit darker skinned and speak fluent Spanish and Portugese from my international travels, and association with a number of "ethnic" people. There is NO "grind". It is simply a statement of fact that at least 50% of Miami either does not speak English, or can hardly dissern. The reason behind this, is there is NO need in the city. Everything is catered in retail, sales, advertising, etc. only to Spanish speakers. I do not need a lecture in marketing, as I understand perfectly well this is smart.

As for the crime, I challenge you to find a police officer who is willing to drive through southern Opa Locka, or Overtown at night. You simply wont. We all know Chicago has bad areas. Most large cities have bad areas. From personal experience, I have spent a good deal of time in Juarez Mexico, Mexico City, been in Compton, Watts, El Paso, Harlem, Rio, Memphis, and a number of places I was unsure what was possible. Having a class that let out at night on the south end of Opa Locka, gunshots were a common occurrance, and after the first few, the professor didnt even pause while lecturing. Leaving this campus at night was FAR worse, and dangerous than I felt in any of the above mentioned. There is something to be said for 8 police officers being brutally murdered in the first two weeks of being in the tri-county area. Life simply holds no respect or dignity in Miami unless you have the money to buy your way out. Then you become the target.

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 21):
I speak english perfectly (born here) although spanish was my first language and it continues to be a primary language at home. (Im glad I do because many kids in my generation do speak spanish fluently however you can tell that they do have some problems when it comes to some conjugations and especially writing. In all my years have never experienced any bad vibes from cubans or any spanish speaking ethnic group in particula while talking to them. There have been instances where Ive come across some down right rude idiots but both in English and Espanol and from places all around. So no shots have been taken at my Argentin/Puerto Rico Mix of an Accent.

Maybe I was just the lucky one having a gas station attendant spit on my shirt and scream "no English, get out!", or the Denny's waitress who could only manage "you order spanish?", or even the shuttle driver screaming he wanted more money than had already been spent during booking for the fare. (This one happened to be Haitian. Needless to say he didnt receive a tip after that). My personal favorite was being asked to wait at the teller line of my bank for "The" person who speaks English. (Needless to say, I closed my accounts when he got back).

It is not so much an "ethnic issue" toward one group or any group. The societal norm in Miami is one that will cater to anyone and everyone, except an American. This also happens to be a major draw to the area for people seeking "asylum".

I also do not need a lecture in compassion or understanding. I do understand the way of the world in Miami, and it is not exactly my cup of tea. Miami has not been a part of the US for a long time, and never will be. For some, this fact is ok, but having grown up in a place that truly values the "American" way, and "American" culture, Miami was as far from this as one could imagine, and like I said, not something I

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

D L X

Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Chicago is the only place outside of DC that I would consider living in right now. Great people, great food, easy to get to everywhere from there.

I find Miami quite shallow. It's the anti-Chicago, in my opinion.

Newark777

Fri May 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 24):
Have you ever been to Wyoming? If I lived there I'd be desperate to leave too.

Taking into account the cost of property and the scenery out there, I certainly wouldn't mind moving to Wyoming. It's a beautiful state.

Quoting desertjets (Reply 25):
A plus in the Miami column it that is had an active adult entertainment industry.

Which you can access free online.  

I recently got back from Florida, and while I was closer to the Orlando area than Miami, it shocked me how economically depressed some areas of Florida are. While you hear how bad Florida got hit by the economic crisis, I really didn't appreciate it until I saw it first hand. Quite sad how blighted some areas are; the NYC area seems to be in an economic rally in comparison.

iairallie
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Quoting Airportugal310 (Reply 9):
Might I suggest that over Miami? Drive time to/from either location isnt bad

Well I'm moving to attend law school so I don't want much of a commute 15 min max.

Great feed back you guys! Anyone attend the U of Miami or Depaul and want to throw in their advice from that perspective?

Quoting desertjets (Reply 25):
A plus in the Miami column it that is had an active adult entertainment industry. Not that I want to see my fellow A.netters in a starring role on the BangBus or anything.

Yeah thats not a plus in my book.

Chicago is comming out on top here. Miami peeps? The school is in Coral Gables does that make a difference?

mt99

Fri May 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Quoting iairallie (Reply 29):
Depaul

Is Depaul Law downtown?

Chicago is comming out on top here

Have you been to either city before?

airportugal310

Sat May 22, 2010 12:02 am

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 26):
Maybe I was just the lucky one having a gas station attendant spit on my shirt and scream "no English, get out!", or the Denny's waitress who could only manage "you order spanish?", or even the shuttle driver screaming he wanted more money than had already been spent during booking for the fare. (This one happened to be Haitian. Needless to say he didnt receive a tip after that). My personal favorite was being asked to wait at the teller line of my bank for "The" person who speaks English. (Needless to say, I closed my accounts when he got back).

I can confirm this second-hand to be true...my g/f went to college in Boca and she mentioned this type of behavior to me several times

Kind of sad really, that in our own country, we have locations that won't even cater to its own natural citizens.

But thats also my .02
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

tommy767

Sat May 22, 2010 12:06 am

Miami and Chicago? How about two nose in the air type cities for one. Both of which are AA hubs lol.

Quoting newark777 (Reply 19):

LA is exactly that -- a large suburb. The complete opposite of cities like BOS, NYC, SEA, CHI. You basically have to own a car and use it to do anything UNLESS you live and work in areas along the metro system in Downtown and Hollywood (yes, LA has a metro system.) To live in LA you have to not like it but love it or otherwise you will end up hating it. You also have to like driving instead of using mass transit. For me personally, I like this more. I have never been a fan of NYC/NJ's overcrowded, disgusting, overpriced mass transit systems.

Quoting CometII (Reply 20):
Well LA has always been considered a collection of satellite cities merged into one huge sprawl. Miami is like that too, but with the twist that MIA is actually developing that ''canyon'' urban core (the skyline has changed radically in Miami), around the downtown and Brickell areas.

MIA is a much younger city than Chicago. In terms of layout, MIA is similar to LA in that you need a car to do just about anything unless you live in the urban area attached to the metro (how extensive is the metro system anyway in MIA?) Some areas of Miami are very up and coming. MIA also gets a bad rap for obvious reasons: Immigration, crime, hurricane season, smugness. However every time I've been to Miami I've always liked it --- granted I never left south beach.

Chicago is the complete opposite in some regards. They are very into their tourism and people will help you get around if you don't know what you are doing. Many are particularly friendly. The metro is a fair way to get around the city. Some great bars and speakeasies in Chicago -- not quite the same energetic feel as Miami beach though.

I'd put them about the same in my book. Miami wins for better weather though.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

iairallie
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2010 12:08 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 30):
Is Depaul Law downtown?

Yep it's in the loop really great central location Wabash & Jackson.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 30):
Have you been to either city before?

Yes both many times as crew and to visit friends.In fact I just made a short trip to ORD to see tour the Depaul law school and check out the surrounding areas. I'll be doing the same for Miami later this week. I just want more perspective on what it is like actually living there. Visiting is a whole different thing.

Alias1024

Sat May 22, 2010 12:30 am

Many have mentioned weather as a big plus to Miami, but nobody has mentioned hurricanes. They suck!!!

I lived in Florida for about five years and I despised hurricane season. It isn't the storm itself that's so bad. It's watching it on the news for five days before it hits.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

waterpolodan

Sat May 22, 2010 12:42 am

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 26):
PLEASE do not pull the "R" card and claim it has ethnic merit. I appear a bit darker skinned and speak fluent Spanish and Portugese from my international travels, and association with a number of "ethnic" people. There is NO "grind". It is simply a statement of fact that at least 50% of Miami either does not speak English, or can hardly dissern.

I'm in your boat, my father is from Panama and I appear latin with a dark complexion, but English is my first/best language and I don't like to use Spanish when I don't have to, so I really get frustrated with the attitude some people give you when they speak to you in Spanish and you politely reply in English, trying to steer the conversation into that language, and they get angry at you for using the native tongue! I've worked in many restaurants here and it really makes me upset when a table refuse to attempt to speak English to you and then shaft you with their tip because you don't speak their language. I don't have a problem if you try, but at least make the effort! Anyway, not always a problem, but definitely a fact of life in the city.

Quoting iairallie (Reply 33):
I'll be doing the same for Miami later this week. I just want more perspective on what it is like actually living there. Visiting is a whole different thing.

If you're choosing law schools, you should definitely move here. You'll be in class during the gorgeous winter months here when you can unwind and go to the beach vs. being stuck in a snow drift, and the UM campus is gorgeous (I grew up a few blocks away). I've got lots of friends currently at UM Law, and they all enjoyed the experience and the out of towners that went there have some complaints about Miami, but generally like it and some might end up living here.

AA757MIA

Sat May 22, 2010 1:57 am

The school is in Coral Gables does that make a difference?

Yes it does, Coral Gables is a nice/wealthy city sorrounded by other nice cities such as Pinecrest. There are parts of South Miami and Coconut Grove I would not recommend at night, etc but other than that the area is really nice (and expensive).

mt99

Sat May 22, 2010 2:51 am

Yep it's in the loop really great central location Wabash & Jackson.

Cool. Tip #1 - do not live in the loop  
. I'll be doing the same for Miami later this week.

You should let us know your impressions...

I am sure that University of Miami has a fine law school - but have you thought about what you want to do after law school, networking and job opportunities might also be different..

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 37):
both amazing reasons to stay away from North Cuba, (Miami).
Quoting ATCtower (Reply 37):
A place for Cuban refugees

Actually, i think that those are the best people in MIA. The WORSE by FAR are the stuck up kids from Latin America who live there on the "Papi Paga" Plan. The type that keep a few BMWs in MIA as a convince.

signol

Sat May 22, 2010 4:03 am

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 32):
how extensive is the metro system anyway in MIA

There is one line plus a little "people mover" less than 3km in length in the city centre :

http://www.urbanrail.net/am/miam/miami.htm

Chicago has an extensive system, including both airports :

http://www.urbanrail.net/am/chic/chicago.htm

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

LAXintl

Sat May 22, 2010 4:09 am

Quoting newark777 (Reply 40):
Except that you can't be an effective country if the citizens can't even communicate with each other. They've created their own little Spanish speaking community, but good luck trying to function anywhere else in the US.

Well the US does not have a Federal official language.

You can live your life and quite easily survive in ever growing parts of America without ever speaking English. There is tons of foreign media sources from newspapers, TV and radio while business documents like bills come in a host of languages. You can even vote and conduct official government business in multiples languages in many places.

Here in LA we have enclaves of communities like Vietnamese, Chinese, Iranian, and obviously Hispanic areas where you can exist without ever uttering a word of English. I know people, US citizens and all that have been in LA for decades and barely speak English which is a testament that language is not a barrier in some areas.

Newark777

Sat May 22, 2010 4:21 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 42):

Here in LA we have enclaves of communities like Vietnamese, Chinese, Iranian, and obviously Hispanic areas where you can exist without ever uttering a word of English. I know people, US citizens and all that have been in LA for decades and barely speak English which is a testament that language is not a barrier in some areas.

You can exist, but you're never going to get further than cooking McNuggets at the back of McDonalds. And friends of mine in the medical field tell me it's not uncommon for people to suffer in emergency situations when they can't communicate with doctors, nurses, etc.

But hey, if your goal in life is to just exist and never leave your community, I'm not going to stop you.

BMI727

Sat May 22, 2010 4:58 am

LA is exactly that -- a large suburb.

That is part of what I love about LA.

Many are particularly friendly.

It's a midwest thing.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

MCOflyer

Sat May 22, 2010 6:06 am

I'll say this: Send to me Chicago or Los Angeles for a load but NEVER NEVER again to miami. I despise that place with a passion.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

waterpolodan

Sat May 22, 2010 6:24 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 46):
I'll say this: Send to me Chicago or Los Angeles for a load but NEVER NEVER again to miami. I despise that place with a passion.

That's fine, I despise Orlando with a passion  

flymia

Sat May 22, 2010 8:17 pm

U of Miami

DePaul is ranked 98 UM is ranked 60. UM is a better school and also the best school in a large law market. It is also the third best school in a large state. Unless DePaul has a program you want to do there or your heart is set on Chicago go to The U!

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 34):
Many have mentioned weather as a big plus to Miami, but nobody has mentioned hurricanes. They suck!!!

I lived in Florida for about five years and I despised hurricane season. It isn't the storm itself that's so bad. It's watching it on the news for five days before it hits

Rather have a hurricane every few years then rolling black outs during heat waves, blizzards every years, Possibility of floods and strong tornados.

The school is in Coral Gables does that make a difference?

HUGE difference. Coral Gables IMO is Miami's best subrub. It is wealthy and safe area. It is one of the better looking and older areas of the city too. Streets have old homes from the 20s and 30s (for Miami thats old) Its a fantastic area!

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 42):

Thanks for the great feed back.  
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

MAH4546

Tue May 25, 2010 4:01 am

Great feed back you guys! Anyone attend the U of Miami or Depaul and want to throw in their advice from that perspective?

Go to the University of Miami unless there is some sort of scholarship out of Depaul that will get you a better deal. Law school rankings are insanely important no matter what field you want to end up in - you will be ranked and judged by your school, and Miami is a much stronger law school. The further you get in your career the less your school matters, but your school will get you your first job, and assuming you perform and rank equally as well at UMiami as you would at Depaul, Miami is going to give you the better job opportunities, even further boosted by being the best school in a large job market while DePaul is the fourth "best," but also ranks under Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and Madison which send a lot of top students to the Chicago market. It isn't going to be fun finding a job.

As for the cities, I have lived in both extensively. Both are nice, I prefer Miami - better weather, better night life, less crime and more integrated. The race/ethnic segregation in Chicago is beyond disturbing.

The caveat: working in Miami increasingly requires that you speak Spanish. However, these days if you speak Portuguese or, increasingly, French or Italian, that's okay too in private practice. Though a lot of public interest/government-related work will still require Spanish. But in the Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach markets, where UM is also strong, its less important.
a.

OA412

Tue May 25, 2010 4:07 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 45):
but also ranks under Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and Madison which send a lot of top students to the Chicago market.

Don't forget Indiana-Bloomington which also sends many graduates to Chicago, and which is also more highly ranked than DePaul.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

AA777

Thu May 27, 2010 2:50 pm

Skip them both and move to Washington, D.C.  

Actually, I've been to Chicago and Miami both several times. I think overall what's being said is true.

In Chicago you'll have a nicer group of people to associate with - but unless you can handle HELLISH winters, I wouldnt go. I have a friend who moved to Chicago and she is moving back because she cant handle the weather. She loved the city, but being stuck inside all day when its colder than the North Pole is pretty miserable. I like Chicago ok as a city. Its clean (the nice areas, anyway), but to me it lacks diversity. Also its just... flat. Gorgeous skyline. Pros and cons, I guess.

Miami is a beach town. If that's what you love, then by all means move there.... but the people arent that nice, so you sort of have to fend for yourself. I'd like to move there for my internship year at the end of grad school... I think. I'd never ever ever ever ever live in Chicago. I'd die.

mayor

Thu May 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 5):
Also, depends where in the city of course...Englewood vs. Naperville, give me Naperville!

There are even better choices than Naperville, further west if you don't mind driving into the city. I worked at ORD for 8 1/2 years in the 70s and lived out past Aurora. Don't know if I'd do it again because the traffic is surely worse than it was then.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

iairallie
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2010 3:50 am

Quoting AA777 (Reply 47):
Skip them both and move to Washington, D.C.

I lived in NOVA for 3 years and really liked it. I'd gladly move there if American would take me off their waitlist.