Tomorrow's games...

Netherlands vs. Japan
Ghana vs. Australia
Cameroon vs. Denmark

Top one should be a great match.

FlyDeltaJets87

RE: Official 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread #3

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:00 am

I finally got to watch the US - Slovenia game since I was at work earlier. I knew the result and I had heard about the awful call before I watched the game. I guess the umpire who blew the Tiger's perfect game a couple weeks ago was transferred to refereeing the World Cup and was given the US - Slovenia game. One of the worst calls in history.    But I'm still proud of the US for not quitting and for overcoming the two goal deficit to force a draw and leave themselves a shot at advancing to the knock-out round.

Derico

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:24 am

In context, given the ENG 0 - 0 ALG, a look of what could have been:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsTWjueuLz4

waterpolodan

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:00 am

Another thing about the USA game that hasn't really been discussed is the fact that we have lost Findley for our game against Algeria because of... a crappy ref! It was the yellow card he received for striking the ball with his face, which apparently to the fool from Mali means a hand ball and worthy of a card. Absurd, in replays it is totally clear that it didn't even brush his arm. Granted, he's not our best player, but it's another injustice in a game that should have been an epic come from behind victory.

YVRLTN

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:59 am

Terrible game from England... have to question Capello too though.

1) I hate Heskey, but at least he was winning challenges and getting the ball and playing. Why did he get substituted and not Rooney? Heskey & Defoe could have been a bit more fruitful.

2) Wright-Phillips. Why does he get on ahead of Joe Cole??

3) Why remove Barry? Best player. Maybe he was tired.

At least James looked solid enough. But England deserve to go home after that...   

Alias1024

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:22 am

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 3):
Another thing about the USA game that hasn't really been discussed is the fact that we have lost Findley for our game against Algeria because of... a crappy ref! It was the yellow card he received for striking the ball with his face, which apparently to the fool from Mali means a hand ball and worthy of a card. Absurd, in replays it is totally clear that it didn't even brush his arm. Granted, he's not our best player, but it's another injustice in a game that should have been an epic come from behind victory.

Yeah, that was a terrible call too. The referee was full of them today. To be fair, Clint Dempsey should have been called for a foul and wouldn't even have had much room to argue if he'd been shown a yellow card for the elbow in the opening moments of the match. Then there was the incident you mentioned involving Findley, and finally the infamous phantom foul at the end. If anyone was guilty of a foul it was the Slovenian player that was giving Michael Bradley the heimlich maneuver.

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:56 am

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 312):
hope aviation master doesn't mind me stealing his thunder

Not at all.  
Quoting Derico (Reply 2):
In context, given the ENG 0 - 0 ALG, a look of what could have been:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsTWj...euLz4

That is some fantastic editing right there.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 4):
At least James looked solid enough. But England deserve to go home after that...

As if he had lots to do in last night's game.  

Beta

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:34 am

US vs Slovenia
Brilliant comeback by the US marred by absolute incompetence, FIFA included for hiring that ref. However the US team has no 1 to blame, but themselves. If you wanted to win bad, then played better defense and not conceded goals to your opponent; it's as simple as that. The ref would be irrelevant. Tim Howard, as good as he is, did not have a good game; he was caught out of position in the 1st goal (reminds me England David Seaman in 1 of the WC match while back). For the US now is the time to shut up and put out.

Prediction next US game: 2-1 US win and advance to next round.

England vs Algeria

England must be gripping now!! Can some English fans enlighten me how in the world team England, which has stars all over the place, drew with 2 crappy teams (US, then Algeria) in a row, while managed to score only 1 goal?? Mind boggling! Now looks like Robert Green muffed ball goal looms large, doesn't it? It may come back to haunt team England this WC! If England failed to advance, Green would be "burned" at the stake by English fans and press. Btw, what're the fans reactions and pundits say about England team over there in light of the last 2 games? Any one cares to give an review.

Prediction next England game: England will try to play the old style long ball to the wings and cross in for Peter Crouch, 2-1 England; England goalkeeper will gift 1 to the Slovenia to keep the suspension.

Mark my words and you can take that to the bank.

KPDX

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:17 am

Looks like FIFA might drop the referee from the World Cup that made the controversial call in the USA-Slovenia game.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...-us-slovenia-ref-wc?cc=5901&ver=us

SQ325

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:11 am

Of course i am looking forward to Ghana vs Australia but i expect the best game today to be Denmark vs Cameroon.
Yesterday was a bad day for the german team, i am far away from blaming the Referee alone. Kloses useless attack near the middle line when he already knew how the Referee is throwing around with cards was just stupid. But if you compare the Referee from the ENG-ALG game with my friend from spain you have to ask the question What shall the players expect when playing in the world cup finals. The fifa will do good to clarifiy some things what their Referees are instructed to do and what not.
Sorry for the US Boys for a not granted but well deserved win. No words for the English team.
At the end of the first round we might see England, France, Germany and Italy out of Tournament!!!!

Today I hope for games decided by the teams on the field not by Referees.

CPH-R

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:25 am

Quoting SQ325 (Reply 9):
Of course i am looking forward to Ghana vs Australia but i expect the best game today to be Denmark vs Cameroon.

Depends on how you define 'best'.

Our offensive is pretty much crippled, with both Bendtner and Jon Dahl suffering from minor injuries. And the only striker who isn't injured, is Søren Larsen, who even our national coach has now come to realise is only fit to play one half (Good thing he left Mads Junker at home, what good is a guy who has scored 21 goals for Roda in the past Eredivisie season?!   ).

So once again, it will come down to corners and free kicks, so we can get guys like Daniel Agger up front to try and score our goals.

carmenlu15

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:32 am

Someone said in the previous thread that the problem with France is that the players are too individualistic, rather than playing as a team...

Funnily enough, we were watching the France-Mexico game and my grandma commented "You know what the problem with WC teams is? You have this national squad full of talented players that shine in their various teams, but they don't get much of a chance to bond as a national team". Some of the coaches would do good to take this piece of advice from a 89-year old lady...  

MD11Engineer

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:40 am

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 11):
Funnily enough, we were watching the France-Mexico game and my grandma commented "You know what the problem with WC teams is? You have this national squad full of talented players that shine in their various teams, but they don't get much of a chance to bond as a national team". Some of the coaches would do good to take this piece of advice from a 89-year old lady...

This might be quite true. The clubs are normaly reluctant to let their players join the national teams because it takes them away from the clubs (which pay their salaries and are, in the end, only interrested in the revenue generated by their own fan base) and also there is always the risk that a player will get injured while playing or training for the national team. This way the players and the national coach often don´t have enought gtime to get a proper team together.

Jan

LTU932

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:55 am

Quoting Beta (Reply 7):
Prediction next England game: England will try to play the old style long ball to the wings and cross in for Peter Crouch, 2-1 England; England goalkeeper will gift 1 to the Slovenia to keep the suspension.

You're evidently referring to the English play of Kick and Rush. As Franz Beckenbauer has said, England IS playing Kick and Rush again, and this will be their undoing. So I can safely say that you'll be spot on with your prediction.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 12):
This might be quite true. The clubs are normaly reluctant to let their players join the national teams because it takes them away from the clubs (which pay their salaries and are, in the end, only interrested in the revenue generated by their own fan base) and also there is always the risk that a player will get injured while playing or training for the national team. This way the players and the national coach often don´t have enought gtime to get a proper team together.

Not to mention that outside the UEFA, most confederations continue regular league play even when it's a weekend of international matches. I've seen it in Latin America, e.g. in Mexico and Argentina, even in Costa Rica, they would continue their own domestic leagues on international weekends, which is unthinkable in the top flights in UEFA (on such weekends, the DFL in Germany doesn't have any Bundesliga matches). The injury issue can be added to the equation.

Rj111
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:08 pm

The amount of times van Persie has been injured on international duty....   

lxa333

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 14):
The amount of times van Persie has been injured on international duty....

What about us at Chelsea, Essien was a huge puzzle piece missing in our series vs Inter Milan.

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Quoting Beta (Reply 7):

England must be gripping now!! Can some English fans enlighten me how in the world team England, which has stars all over the place, drew with 2 crappy teams (US, then Algeria) in a row, while managed to score only 1 goal??

1. It takes more than a bunch of individualists to win a game. It takes a team, hard work and the right tactics.
2. There are no 'crappy' teams in the traditional sense around anymore. Fans and the players themselves need to realize this. E.g. Algeria has many players playing in top leagues across Europe. Some of them even played for the French National Team at youth levels. US Football has come a long way in the past 10 years and they may even become serious title favourites in the next 25 to 30 years.
3. 'Big' teams are overestimated and 'smaller' ones underestimated. The traditional favourites need to realize that they have to give their 100% at every single game, even if its just the group stages.
4. Football isn't a beauty pageant. The 'better' playing team won't win by just showing up.
5. At a World Cup, on any given day, any average team has the ability to ruin the day for a 'big' team.
6. Average football teams have caught up with the stronger ones, while these haven't really progressed and become better.

Rj111
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Well that was a nice goal!

racko

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:41 pm

More terrible goalkeeping, this time by the Japanese. Jesus, how hard can it be to find a decent goalkeeper in your country.

Rj111
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Indications are that Anelka will be sent home tomorrow.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/19/france-worldcup2010

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 19):
Indications are that Anelka will be sent home tomorrow.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...p2010

The whole team should join him then. With the way they've been playing they'd be doing us a huge favour.

Kiwirob

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:06 pm

New Zealand to draw with Italy on Sunday  

racko

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:27 pm

What is he supposed to do, cut off his arm? Poor Aussies.

LTU932

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:30 pm

The refereeing seems to be taking a turn for the worse. And yet, I started to remember Mr Graham Poll 4 years ago. Remember when he showed Josip Simunic three yellow cards in a single match? He was supposed to throw him out after the second yellow card but didn't do so after the third one.

After that, AFAIK Mr Poll never worked as a referee again.

Rj111
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:32 pm

He hit that so hard i'm not sure what he could have done.

Rj111
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 23):
After that, AFAIK Mr Poll never worked as a referee again.

Only from international tournaments, he continued as normal for another season after which he retired.

That was unfortunate, he was a good referee and that mistake tainted his whole career.

RayChuang

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:48 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 23):
The refereeing seems to be taking a turn for the worse.

Makes you wonder if the referees can't keep up with the unusual characteristics of the Jabulani ball....

LTU932

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 26):
Makes you wonder if the referees can't keep up with the unusual characteristics of the Jabulani ball....

Or, as we speculated at work, perhaps some of the refs are bought by the betting mafia? It's quite possible, that mafia has lots of cash to buy itself whatever it wants. Evebn someone like Roberto Rosetti can be bought for the right price.

As for the penalty, it was probably penalty, but I don't think it deserves red. How the hell was he supposed to get his arm away in time? At most, yellow would have sufficed.

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:03 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 27):
As for the penalty, it was probably penalty, but I don't think it deserves red. How the hell was he supposed to get his arm away in time? At most, yellow would have sufficed.

The red card came from the fact that Kewell prevented a clear goal chance from happening. Unfortunate yes, but in my eyes a correct decision.

MD11Engineer

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Could it be that the Aussies with ten men are more dangerous than the Ghanaese with 11? I see most of the action happening just outside Ghana´s box. Good job so far, Australia!

Jan

LTU932

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Quoting aviationmaster (Reply 28):
The red card came from the fact that Kewell prevented a clear goal chance from happening. Unfortunate yes, but in my eyes a correct decision.

Nevertheless, what the hell should he do if by some unfortunate chance, his arm is in the way and he isn't voluntarily using it? Like I said, perhaps it was a penalty but the yellow card was too much.

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 30):
Nevertheless, what the hell should he do if by some unfortunate chance, his arm is in the way and he isn't voluntarily using it? Like I said, perhaps it was a penalty but the yellow card was too much.

I think the red card was given because of where he was standing. Kewell was unfortunate enough to have stopped the ball bang on the goal line. Mehmet Scholl said it best during the halftime discussions. Rosetti should've called a penalty on the Australian player grabbing and holding on to the Ghanaian instead of calling it on Kewell and thus avoiding the red card.

TheSonntag

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:17 pm

Ok just came back from my last exam, finished my 2nd legal state exam tests... 8 tests 5 hours each in the last two weeks, so I am really tired now.

Anyway, Germany deserved to lose. They could have played 5 more hours without scoring yesterday. Congrats to Serbia. I hope we beat Ghana, because Ghana played very bad today. It is a shame we don't have Maik Franz in the team, he might be of good use vs Boateng 

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Woah! Great game going on right now between Denmark and Cameroon. Two sides with shaky defences always makes for a good game. 
Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 32):
Ok just came back from my last exam, finished my 2nd legal state exam tests... 8 tests 5 hours each in the last two weeks, so I am really tired now.

Congrats!      

MD11Engineer

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 32):
I hope we beat Ghana, because Ghana played very bad today. It is a shame we don't have Maik Franz in the team, he might be of good use vs Boateng

Germany HAS to beat Ghana. If Serbia manages to win against Australia, and Germany doesn´t win against Ghana, our team will need some flight tickets home.

Jan

futurepilot16

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Brazil and Ivory Coast tomorrow. That should be a great game

lhr380

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:09 pm

This CMR DEN match is one of the best I have seen so far.

This btw, is coming from someone who is not a footie fan, but is really into this for some reason.

This is also more interesting and exciting than the England match last nite!

TheSonntag

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 36):

Indeed. The world cup finally kicks off, the games are really getting better.

TheSonntag

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Tillykke Danmark! Nice game...

lhr380

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 37):
Indeed. The world cup finally kicks off, the games are really getting better.

What an amazing match!!!

Well done Denmark for a deserved win, and good game Cameroon, shame to see a side go out, but it has to happen..

Severnaya

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Well done play today by the Netherlands, could have been a more easily win but the Japanese defended rather well and the dutch squad once again played too slow, no fast combination football at all which they are able to.

And Holland is the first country to qualify for the second round. Well done, one of the top favorites did what was expected. Japan and Denmark may decide next Thursday which of them will as well go on to the next round.

LTU932

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:02 pm

The Denmark vs Cameroon match was highly entertaining. In the end though, Cameroon is solely responsible for failing in this world cup. Now comes the final between Denmark and Japan next week, and the question of who joins the Netherlands in the second round.

And tonight comes the big match, Drogba vs Kaká, Brazil vs Cote d'Ivoire.

LTU932

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:13 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8749698.stm

It's confirmed. Nicolas Anelka has been sent home, and at this stage, it's only a matter of time until the rest of the squad joins him.

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 41):
And tonight comes the big match, Drogba vs Kaká, Brazil vs Cote d'Ivoire.

I'm really looking forward to this match. It will be interesting to see how CdI's defence handles Brazil's offense.

Rj111
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:12 pm

The toys are out of the pram in the French camp.

Reports of deep divides within the team, between race, colour, the old and new guard. Ribery has supposedly been bullying Gourcuff, who likes going to the opera instead of clubbing. What was said in the changing rooms by Anelka was supposed to stay within but one of the players acted as a "mole" to the press. Evra has done what all good captains should do and publicly stated whoever the mole is should be going home and not Anelka. Zidane has been supposedly influencing the team selection to Domenech's anger too.

Even Sarkozy has got in on the act and made an broadcast from Russia condemning Anelka's actions.

What an utter bunch of Prima-Donnas.   

lxa333

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:09 am

Gourcuff is the only person on the team in my opinion who should be designated captain(young and positive attitude) and I am afraid Ribery has shown his true colors, hes just an average player , Bayern Munich can keep him proudly, he wont be worth anything soon and has shown horrible performances.

Nico has apparently retired from international football according to sky sources on his way back to London. Summer starts early at Stamford Bridge.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11668_6214901,00.html

Yellowstone

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:46 am

Just wanted to collect in one place the scenarios for each team advancing to the knockout round. A scenario in parentheses means that it would go to a tiebreaker:

Group A:
MEX - win or draw against URU, lose to URU with draw in FRA/RSA game, (lose to URU with result in FRA/RSA game)
URU - win or draw against MEX, lose to MEX with draw in FRA/RSA game, (lose to MEX with result in FRA/RSA game)
FRA - (win against RSA with result in MEX/URU game)
RSA - (win against MEX with result in MEX/URU game)

Group B:
ARG - win or draw against GRE, lose to GRE and KOR does not defeat NGA, (lose to GRE and KOR defeats NGA)
KOR - win against NGA and GRE does not defeat ARG, draw against NGA and ARG defeats GRE, (win against NGA and GRE defeats ARG, draw against NGA and ARG draws with GRE)
GRE - win against ARG and KOR does not defeat NGA, draw with ARG and NGA defeats KOR, (win against ARG and KOR defeats NGA, draw with ARG and KOR draws with NGA)
NGA - win against KOR and ARG defeats GRE

Group C:
SVN - win or draw against ENG, lose to ENG and USA draws with ALG, (lose to ENG and ALG defeats USA)
USA - win against ALG, draw with ALG and SVN defeats ENG, (draw with ALG and SVN draws with ENG)
ENG - win against SVN, (draw with SVN and USA draws with ALG)
ALG - win against USA and ENG does not defeat SVN, (win against USA and ENG defeats SVN)

Group D:
GHA - win or draw against GER, (lose to GER and SRB does not defeat AUS)
GER - win against GHA, draw against GHA and SRB draws with AUS, (draw against GHA and AUS defeats SRB)
SRB - win against AUS, draw with AUS and GHA defeats GER, (draw with AUS and GER defeats GHA)
AUS - win against SRB and GHA defeats GER, (win against SRB and GHA does not defeat GER)

Group E:
NED - qualified
JPN - win or draw against DEN
DEN - win against JPN
CMR - eliminated

TheSonntag

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:00 am

The French team really looks like Germany in the year 2000 all over again, when the German players hated each other, as well.

France needs to make a complete new start. Throw out everyone, and start to build a team from the U21.

NIKV69

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:04 am

Buffon out for Italy's 2nd game. Not good. I hope we can get him back for the knockout phase!

Luftfahrer

Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:55 pm

A great tool for computing possible scenarios without much effort:

http://www.sport1.de/de/fussball/fus...wm2010/fus_wm2010_tabellenrechner/

If you need help with the language, I'm sure then somebody who speaks German can help you.