Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Vuvuzela: Angel's Trumpet Or Devil's Horn?

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:14 am

Since the FIFA World Cup 2010 threads have often been taken off track by discussions about the Vuvuzela horn, and there was a suggestion to start a thread about the horn itself, I thought, why not start one?

Do you love it or hate it? Is it equal to the angels' trumpets or is it the devil's horn in your opinion?

Have you "played" one? Is it really a musical instrument, or is it just a noisemaker? I have only heard it play one "note"--B flat.

Seeing the vuvuzelas has brought back a memory from my distant high school basketball past. (I was the manager of my high school team.)

Back in the 1990/1991 basketball season at my small independent high school, I distinctly remember seeing a bunch of blue vuvuzela-like plastic horns at a game. I tried to blow one, but to no avail--due to my cleft palate and limited respiratory capacity. So I remember the vuvuzela--long before I even knew what it was called!

Have fun tooting your own horn!  

SmithAir747

Springbok747

RE: Vuvuzela: Angel's Trumpet Or Devil's Horn?

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:29 am

Bloody annoying. Look..I know its a part of SA culture and everything, but it has gotten to a point where the noise is just so much...I can't even watch the games on TV without turning the sound wayyy down...

I have experienced a Vuvuzela first hand, and it is not something I would want to experience again..I feel sorry for those players and referees...

comorin

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 am

Should be easy enough to filter out those frequencies with a little DSP? It's a really irritating sound, though not as bad as spending a night in St Lucia with the cacophony of crickets - horrible!

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:53 am

I hate it, although does have its purpose as a drinking accessory.   IMO its just another one of those commercial gimmicks that is being forced upon the traditional fan culture in order to make a fast buck. I haven't got anything against people blowing the vuvuzela, but for the sake of sporting events, leave those things at home when attending a game.

bohica

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:12 am

Those horns are annoying. I can't see how a stadium full of people can continuously blow them for the entire game. When someone scores a goal, the sound level never changes. I hope this fad does not make its way to the USA. Can you imagine hearing those horns in a domed stadium or in an arena? I hope the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, etc. ban these obnoxious devices from their venues.

BMI727

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:15 am

I want to strangle the guy who invented those. I want the World Cup to just go away, as it is encroaching mainstream American sports.

Quoting bohica (Reply 4):
I can't see how a stadium full of people can continuously blow them for the entire game.

Well, when there is nothing interesting going on on the field...

Quoting bohica (Reply 4):
I hope the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, etc. ban these obnoxious devices from their venues.

I would hope so too. From what I've seen, soccer fans are the worst around.

KPDX

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:27 am

Annoying yes, but I have become so used to them now that I pretty much don't even notice them.

viaggiare

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:29 am

Steve Rushin —a former Sports Illustrated writer turned CNN.com contributor— suspects the word vuvuzela derives from the Latin "vuvu" (blood) and "zela" (issuing from both ears).

Hilarious.

GuitrThree

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:14 am

The Vuvuzela was invented for one reason, and one reason alone.

That is, of course, to give the fans something to do while watching the most boring sport ever played!   

MD11Engineer

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:19 am

In the end a vuvuzela is a natural horn, just like a bugle. So any competent trumpet player should be able to play it like a bugle, instead of making just farting noises. Most people though don´t have the strength and dexterity in their lips to do this.

Jan

EA CO AS

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:55 am

It's a mating call for a swarm of bees.

waterpolodan

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:03 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 5):
I want to strangle the guy who invented those. I want the World Cup to just go away, as it is encroaching mainstream American sports.

LOL! Wouldn't want the biggest international sporting competition outside of the Olympics to get in the way of regular season nightly baseball games of almost no consequence, would we? Honestly, after game 7 of the NBA finals, there's nothing that remotely conflicts with the WC other than baseball and NASCAR, and if you'd rather watch either of those things than the WC... I just don't know what to say to that. We all have our own (sometimes bad) tastes, I guess.

BMI727

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:20 am

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 11):
Wouldn't want the biggest international sporting competition outside of the Olympics to get in the way of regular season nightly baseball games of almost no consequence, would we?

Damn right. Today I was listening to the radio and I actually heard a guy talking about the World Cup. Not making fun of it, not giving token scores, but actually breaking it down. I quickly flipped to mediocre White Sox baseball.

And no, I don't like having it jammed down my throat. I hate the stupid horns more than anything, but having to wait for the ESPN ticker to scroll through the stats from an exciting match up of a former Soviet republic and some obscure island does not make me happy. When did the World Cup become more important to them than baseball? Even east coast baseball! Seriously, it's been like two whole weeks since ESPN has shown a Yankees vs. Red Sox game.

and if you'd rather watch either of those things than the WC

There's a lot of things I'd rather watch than soccer. Here are a few in no particular order.
- Rachel Maddow. She's more manly than most of the players anyway (AHHH! I broke my leg! Never mind, I'm okay)
- A documentary about the history of lawn mowers
- The latest exploits of the Kardashians
- The Olympics
- Any show on TLC involving dwarves or fat people

LTU932

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:54 am

Vuvuzelas should be banned worldwide! End of story.

Scorpio

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:55 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 12):
There's a lot of things I'd rather watch than soccer. Here are a few in no particular order.

Simple solution: don't watch it, and stop bitching about it. You'll live longer.

BMI727

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:00 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 14):
Simple solution: don't watch it, and stop bitching about it. You'll live longer.

And there is the rub. The World Cup itself is not the problem. My problem is the incessant coverage of it which interferes with things I do want to watch. I'd be happy if it could just be like the rest of the soccer world and live on its own little island away from the things I am interested in.

herctech

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:10 am

Im not a fan of Soccer or Baseball, so i may be a little a biased, but if i was forced to watch either i would definately take ninety minutes of nothing happening on a soccer pitch over 4+ hours of nothing happening on a baseball diamond any day.

Seriously, ripping soccer and then bringing up how baseball is better, thats a little strange to me.

And am I the only one who didnt realize that those stupid horns are actually called Vuvuzelas until last week

aerorobnz

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:20 am

Actually I like it. It builds up atmosphere and tension and it's an aggravating and intrusive sound fit for battle on the sporting field... . It beats having a quiet stadium. The more aggression on the sports field the better - It's something that has been lost in most professional sports.

TruemanQLD

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:36 am

Too all the Americans who seem to be posting alot of anti-soccer comments... no-one cares!
It clearly cant be 'that' bad if its the worlds most popular sport... much more popular than NFL or Baseball...
Or is it an 'inferior' sport simply because it hasnt taken off in America?
And 'its boring' isnt really a great reason either... have you watched Baseball?

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 15):
And there is the rub. The World Cup itself is not the problem. My problem is the incessant coverage of it which interferes with things I do want to watch. I'd be happy if it could just be like the rest of the soccer world and live on its own little island away from the things I am interested in.

Thats because people want to watch it... its called the law of demand! And by 'little' island, I assume you are referring to the over 3.5 billion people worldwide who watch / play soccer? In comparison

2) Cricket: 2-3 billion fans
3) Field hockey: 2-2.2 billion fans
4) Tennis: Around 1 billion fans
5) Volleyball: Around 900 million fans
6) Table tennis: Around 900 million fans
7) Baseball: Around 500 million fans
8) Golf: Around 400 million fans
9) Gridiron (American football): 390-410 million fans
10) Basketball: Not more than 400 million fans

On another note, I think the vuvuzela should be banned... musical instruments are banned from the Cricket here in Australia, and it should be the same in South Africa.

NorthstarBoy

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:38 am

When i first heard it i thought it was a mechanism for drowning out crowd noise in the stadium and i thought, "thank god!" I really don't see why the players should be complaining, do they think it's any easier to communicate over the noise made by 100,000 fans in the stadium? So, yes, I like the noise, IMO it beats the alternative.

MD11Engineer

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:50 am

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 18):
On another note, I think the vuvuzela should be banned... musical instruments are banned from the Cricket here in Australia, and it should be the same in South Africa.

Well, cricket has a different tradition. Football was always a working class sport.
But there is a difference if it is just meaningless, constant noise (like the vuvuzelas blown by unskilled players or air horns) or if fan groups bring a real band (e.g. a samba band or a brass band), which accompanies and leads e.g. fans singing and responds to what is happening on the pitch.

Jan

andz

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:25 am

My problem is the incessant coverage of it

4 weeks every 4 years is hardly incessant.

ltbewr

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:27 am

These horns are and can be banned in many sport areanas and stadiums in the USA. A guy brought one to a Yankee Baseball game here in NYC and got booted. The MLS league team NY Red Bull at their new stadium in Harrison, NJ notes on their website that any 'noisemakers' including horns are banned. At others, noisemakers are 'discouraged'.

These horns have discouraged spontainous displays of true fan emotions, originality and are so annoying that they hurt the viewing of them by the real fans and chases off casual fans. Unfortuntaly I suspect that for the next WC games these horns of the devil, will be and should be banned but to do so may mean a ban on oversized hats, flags, banners and the like taking away the ability of fans to show there emotions as much.

Mir

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:40 am

Can't get enough of the vuvuzelas? Try this!

Myself, I don't care for them at all. I'd like to hear all the chanting and singing, and it's a real shame that the memory that most people take away from this World Cup might not be of some fantastic play, but of a monotonous droning noise permeating everything.

having to wait for the ESPN ticker to scroll through the stats from an exciting match up of a former Soviet republic and some obscure island does not make me happy.

Having to wait for the ESPN ticker to scroll through all the basketball stats that I couldn't care less about doesn't make me happy either, but you don't hear me whining about it. Because in the big scheme of things, it's really not a big deal. If you don't want to get World Cup coverage, then go to MLB Network, where it'll be all baseball all the time. Problem solved. ESPN is the generic sports network, so you have to expect that they'll have World Cup coverage.

Seriously, it's been like two whole weeks since ESPN has shown a Yankees vs. Red Sox game.

Because none are on the schedule until August, perhaps?  

-Mir

Francoflier

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:09 pm

I have been watching the games and noticed that the noise of those horrible trumpets is almost inaudible now...
I wonder if TV networks have found a way of muting the Vuvuzelas from the audio feed. I have heard something to that effect recently, but it's not something they'll want to advertise I guess, touchy subject.

AutothrustBlue

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Playing the vuvuzela should be left to professionals who can play written and organized music. The way hordes of fans are playing it in a disorganized fashion drains from the culture of SA. However this is SA's WC so its house rules or go home.

but having to wait for the ESPN ticker to scroll through the stats from an exciting match up of a former Soviet republic and some obscure island does not make me happy.

Can't wait 1 minute for the ticker to change?

When did the Woprld Cup become more important to them than baseball? Even east coast baseball! Seriously, it's been like two whole weeks since ESPN has shown a Yankees vs. Red Sox game.

Maybe they're trying to live up to their slogan as "The Worldwide Leader in Sports"? Though I would doubt that since ESPNews spent 5+ minutes on whether or not Manager X from Team Y should have changed his pitcher in the bottom of the 4th from last night's game, and then spent a minute at best showing 2 shots, 3 goals, a yellow card, and a hot girl cheering for her country from one group stage match of the WC.

My problem is the incessant coverage of it which interferes with things I do want to watch. I'd be happy if it could just be like the rest of the soccer world and live on its own little island away from the things I am interested in.

For some of us who have waited 4 years for these 4 weeks, I find it hard to believe one can't wait an hour and a half for a 2.5-3 hour baseball game. To each is own, I suppose.   

Scorpio

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:29 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 24):
I wonder if TV networks have found a way of muting the Vuvuzelas from the audio feed. I have heard something to that effect recently, but it's not something they'll want to advertise I guess, touchy subject.

Not really a touchy subject, at least not over here. It was in the newspaper last week that the TV network has indeed found a way to mute the vuvuzelas. The solution had something to do with using different microphones for the commentators. 1970s vintage microphones in fact...

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:44 pm

And no, I don't like having it jammed down my throat. I hate the stupid horns more than anything, but having to wait for the ESPN ticker to scroll through the stats from an exciting match up of a former Soviet republic and some obscure island does not make me happy. When did the World Cup become more important to them than baseball? Even east coast baseball! Seriously, it's been like two whole weeks since ESPN has shown a Yankees vs. Red Sox game.

Its once every four years. Get over it.  
Quoting francoflier (Reply 24):
I have been watching the games and noticed that the noise of those horrible trumpets is almost inaudible now...

TV networks have found a way to filter out the vuvuzelas. They did this only after they received enough complaints from the viewers.

PPVRA

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:06 pm

It's white noise, so I don't care about it. Kinda like it actually.

Rj111

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:14 pm

2) Cricket: 2-3 billion fans
3) Field hockey: 2-2.2 billion fans
4) Tennis: Around 1 billion fans
5) Volleyball: Around 900 million fans
6) Table tennis: Around 900 million fans
7) Baseball: Around 500 million fans
8) Golf: Around 400 million fans
9) Gridiron (American football): 390-410 million fans
10) Basketball: Not more than 400 million fans

I'm not sure how reliable those stats are. Basketball is probably 3rd behind Cricket and Football. It's getting quite big in China and is fairly important in a lot of Europe and Latin America.

PPVRA

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Based on how well Europe is doing so far, I wonder if the vuvuzela is a competitive advantage for the rest of the world!  

LTU932

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:33 pm

I just came back from the city and saw that there was a group of students from a Brazilian Samba School in Hamburg giving a nice performance. It confirmed what I believe in, that I'd rather have Samba drums playing all the time than those horrible horns.

viaggiare

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Quoting SmithAir747 (Thread starter):
Is it equal to the angels' trumpets or is it the devil's horn in your opinion?

New Scientist magazine has an interesting explanation of the hows and whys of the annoyance, providing the science behind the bluster.

A single vuvuzela played by a decent trumpeter is reminiscent of a hunting horn — but the sound is less pleasing when played by the average football fan, as the note is imperfect and fluctuates in frequency. It sounds more like an elephant trumpeting. This happens because the player does not keep the airflow and motion of the lips consistent.

futurepilot16

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:26 pm

LOL! Wouldn't want the biggest international sporting competition outside of the Olympics to get in the way of regular season nightly baseball games of almost no consequence, would we? Honestly, after game 7 of the NBA finals, there's nothing that remotely conflicts with the WC other than baseball and NASCAR, and if you'd rather watch either of those things than the WC... I just don't know what to say to that. We all have our own (sometimes bad) tastes, I guess.

Please tell him again. Nothing in terms of interesting sports is happening right now.

Too all the Americans who seem to be posting alot of anti-soccer comments... no-one cares!

Not ALL Americans are like that, just some of the more ignorant ones. I love soccer, and can easily watch a full game, even if it's Australia playing Japan. I just don't understand it, if you don't like soccer DON'T watch it, just ignore it. I hate Hockey, therefore I ignore it. Doy!!

I'd be happy if it could just be like the rest of the soccer world and live on its own little island away from the things I am interested in.

Well the rest of the soccer world is larger than the things you're interested in, so it seems to me that soccer should mainstream and vice versa with your interests.

GuitrThree

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 33):
Not ALL Americans are like that, just some of the more ignorant ones. I love soccer, and can easily watch a full game, even if it's Australia playing Japan. I just don't understand it, if you don't like soccer DON'T watch it, just ignore it. I hate Hockey, therefore I ignore it. Doy!!

Really, so some of us don't care watch a sport you like because we find it not to our liking for any reason we choose (boring, low scoring, slow, lack of clear timing and/or rules [see US uncounted goal], etc), and we're defined, by you, as ignorant. Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know ignorance meant dislike. Thanks for clearing that up.

See, maybe those of us who don't like soccer might just dislike it because people like you come around thinking your just plain better than us because you like it, and that makes you a superior person. Glad you think so highly of yourself.

Have a nice day!

Scorpio

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 34):
Really, so some of us don't care watch a sport you like because we find it not to our liking for any reason we choose (boring, low scoring, slow, lack of clear timing and/or rules [see US uncounted goal], etc), and we're defined, by you, as ignorant. Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know ignorance meant dislike. Thanks for clearing that up.

I think it's pretty clear that the original comment by futurepilot was not so much aimed at those of you who don't care about football, but rather at those who can't stop reminding the rest of us just how boring, slow, etc. they think it is, and just how much they don't care about it, in every thread even remotely connected to the sport, again and again. And again.

Springbok747

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 5):
mainstream American sports.

Sorry..what? Mainstream American sports? No offense but you guys have the most stupidest "sports" ever..some examples...

NASCAR: Just a bunch of cars driving around in circles for 300 laps. Wanna watch endurance racing...watch Le Mans. Heck even F1 is better!

Baseball: Nothing but a ripoff of Cricket. At least with cricket you can control your shots, not just swing wildly, pray you hit the ball and run around in circles.

Softball: Isn't that the same as baseball..with a bigger ball? And played on a smaller "diamond"?

"Football" : A ripoff of rugby. Rugby is real where people don't wear oversized protection and smash into each other.

"Hockey": Nothing but field hockey....on ice. Yawn. And whats more..every "hockey" game seems to have a fight.

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:48 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 36):
"Hockey": Nothing but field hockey....on ice. Yawn. And whats more..every "hockey" game seems to have a fight.

Hockey is Canada's game.  

petertenthije

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Even though I hate the Vuvuzela, there are a few very good parodies on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8JGhoVybkM

Dreadnought

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:54 pm

This display will garantee that South Africa will never again host a major international event like the Olympics. That noise is unbearable.

Springbok747

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:02 pm

Quoting aviationmaster (Reply 37):
Hockey is Canada's game.

Hehe ok...but I've actually been to a hockey game in Seattle..no vuvuzelas though..

BTW..came across this now:

As if any further proof were needed that the infernal things are not only a nuisance but a health hazard, a South African woman has ruptured her throat while taking part in a vuvuzela-blowing contest.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...s-woman-to-rupture-her-throat.html

Hahahaha!

BMI727

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 33):
Well the rest of the soccer world is larger than the things you're interested in,

Not in America. A bunch of guys meandering about on a patch of grass isn't interesting. But it's only a problem if it is displacing the good sports, which the World Cup is.

Wanna watch endurance racing...watch Le Mans. Heck even F1 is better!

But laughing at the toothless hoards that attend NASCAR events is entertaining in itself.

Baseball: Nothing but a ripoff of Cricket. At least with cricket you can control your shots, not just swing wildly, pray you hit the ball and run around in circles.

1. Baseball and cricket are considered to have evolved in parallel, with baseball coming from the old game of rounders.
2. Baseball players often do not just swing wildly and do in fact try to control their shots.

Softball: Isn't that the same as baseball..with a bigger ball? And played on a smaller "diamond"?

Well, it is usually played by women (often ones who resemble livestock), so it generally falls into the same category as soccer for me.

"Football" : A ripoff of rugby. Rugby is real where people don't wear oversized protection and smash into each other.

Football has many of the same origins as soccer and rugby. And considering that some players have turned their brains to mush and the game was nearly outlawed in the early 20th century, they are probably right to have the oversized protection.

"Hockey": Nothing but field hockey....on ice. Yawn. And whats more..every "hockey" game seems to have a fight

Hockey is great, but I would like it if they banned fighting. And it is no coincidence that the playoffs feature less fighting. Hockey is what soccer probably could be.

Which brings me to another thing: Are any of the soccer fans out there the least bit concerned about the (very expensive) players from the normal teams they are fans of playing (and possibly getting injured) for a show of nationalism?

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:23 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 41):
Which brings me to another thing: Are any of the soccer fans out there the least bit concerned about the (very expensive) players from the normal teams they are fans of playing (and possibly getting injured) for a show of nationalism?

No.

Rj111

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:26 pm

I thought putting hockey on ice was a good innovation actually.

In general though it shows you just how much society/culture influences your tastes.

There's nothing too genetically different between people of America and much of the rest of the world, but both sides stick to their sports and venomously take swipes at the other's - claiming them to be boring and such. Hard to imagine how similar people could reach such polarised conclusions.

And on that note, I can only assume the founding fathers of America lost all the instructions to the main sports and had to invent their own. Ever since then these 2nd rate sports have just kinda stuck i guess.

aviationmaster

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:37 pm

I can't see this ending well:

Quote:
when the Marlins play host to the Tampa Bay Rays on Saturday, the first 15,000 fans will receive an air horn
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5303342

waterpolodan

Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:23 am

Well, seeing as our home game attendance here in Miami is pretty miserable for the Marlins, I doubt they even give half of those away! I've been thinking about going to a game this season, this might be my chance to get something that'll really piss off my friends   

ltbewr

Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:43 am

As to those bashing Soccer (as we call in the USA), there are some significant pockets of persons who follow the sport. Many that are the main fans are recent immigrants (and illegal immigrants) from Mexico, Central and South America in particular, people working here from soccer mad countries and those that grew up with the game as kids. A 'friendly' game was held involving Mexico about a month ago and it filled the new Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey - 70,000 plus there! The NY Red Bulls have their own new 33,000 seat soccer only stadium in Harrison, NJ, an area with signficant interest in Soccer, many young participtants including producing some pros in MLS and for top foreign teams.

The sport on the pro level did well in the 1970's with top pros like Pele, Brecknbauer and others playing in their later parts of their career then faded, than has since come back to a different level. We - the USA - held the WC in 1994. It is a popular sport for kids up to high school age as it appeals to many who are too short for Basketball, too small for or don't like the physical violence for American Football, think Baseball is boring. It is a relatively cheap sport for kids to do so long as have the field already (like used for American Football), there is no major equipment needs and is good excercise.

So long as we keep out those $%*##@) Vuvuzela horns Soccer may gain even more interested in the USA.

andz

Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:18 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 39):
This display will garantee that South Africa will never again host a major international event like the Olympics. That noise is unbearable.

This kind of comment just shows the ignorance of most people bleating about the vuvuzela.

The vuvuzela is the football fan's horn. Yesterday (and last Saturday) we hosted international rugby. There was not one vuvuzela in evidence. Why? Because it wasn't football.

TheSonntag

Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:57 am

Quoting andz (Reply 47):

This kind of comment just shows the ignorance of most people bleating about the vuvuzela.

No, it shows that South Africa does not understand that it is totally stupid to piss off the rest of the world.

andz

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:52 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 48):
No, it shows that South Africa does not understand that it is totally stupid to piss off the rest of the world.

Typical of the blown out of proportion statements you have been making since the world cup started. The rest of the world? Give me a break. Have you watched any of the games? Have you seen how many non-South African fans are blowing them? They are at least trying to get into the spirit of the cup, unlike the miserable moaners on this board.

I wonder how you would react to something that really is an international issue. Take a chill pill and relax, no amount of your bitching on here is going to change anything so calm down.