KingFriday013

RE: Strangest Food Ever Eaten

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:26 pm

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 20):
Alligator

I had that when I was in the Everglades. Tastes just like chicken -- literally!

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 30):
Deer is pretty damn good

When I was on a ski trip in Vermont once, on the way back, our bus got a flat tire and we rolled 5 miles to a Sunoco on I-91 (I think exit 3 or 4). In the mini-mart there was a wall of just beef and meat jerky products. I had a venison slim jim (not the Slim Jim brand, but that style), and it was really good!

When I was in Salt Lake City last summer, I had buffalo jerky and elk jerky from some stand near the lake. It was interesting, but I liked it a lot!

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

OA412

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 14):
It's fascinating to watch a beaver just swallow wood right up, isn't it? Disgusting to some, I suppose, but I think it makes them even more appetizing.

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 20):
Ostrich
Chicken Hearts
Goat

It's always fun to see how what seems strange to someone is perfectly commonplace to another. Organ meats and goat are widely consumed in Greek culture so I've been exposed to both from a young age and consider them entirely normal and entirely delicious. Goat, especially when boiled and served with lots of oregano, salt, and pepper is absolutely delicious.

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 21):
catfish is terrible

I must agree. I love fish, but I've never, ever been able to acquire a taste for catfish. There's just something "murky" about the taste of it.

Quoting idealstandard (Reply 34):
Also rabbits are commonplace in any butcher (if you can find one!) and duck is very commonly eaten all over the UK.

Rabbit and hare are quite delicious, although I have a hard time eating them now. There's just something unsettling about eating a bunny, which is hypocritical considering I eat beef, pork, chicken, etc., but rabbit is something I just can't do. It's a lot like my inability to eat lobster anymore given that they are boiled alive.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 39):
Had a burger made with lamb once. It was quite good.

Never tried a lamb burger, although I've eaten lamb prepared every which way. Grilled lamb chops, roasted leg of lamb, lamb stews, etc., etc. Done right, lamb is absolutely delicious.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

aaflt1871

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-J84hYMfc

Never again, tastes like shit
Where did everybody go?

Fly2HMO

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:44 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 49):
Cabesa.

Just nitpicking, but its cabeZa  
I enjoy grilled nopales, especially topped with sauteed peppers and onions, pulled chicken and Quesilio

I liked them grilled, but plain and whole, with a pinch of salt. Good stuff.

However the one I got the thorn in my mouth from was cut up in strip lengthwise, so the thorn wasn't so obvious and I missed it   

IADCA

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:21 am

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 30):
Deer is pretty damn good, as well.

As is reindeer.

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 14):
It's fascinating to watch a beaver just swallow wood right up, isn't it? Disgusting to some, I suppose, but I think it makes them even more appetizing.

There are plenty of websites catering to just this taste.

Quoting andz (Reply 33):
I LOVE eating beaver.
So did I, and I approve this message.

Well done, gentlemen.

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 44):
ostrich, lamb and duck too

This just goes to show differences among regions. I'd think of ostrich as a bit strange, but lamb and duck are quite pedestrian.

Quoting LH459 (Reply 48):
kidneys, tongue, blood sausages, etc.

Blood sausage is good stuff.

Quoting kingfriday013 (Reply 50):
I had that when I was in the Everglades. Tastes just like chicken -- literally!

I thought it was more pork-y, but I had ribs, so it might be a different flavor than tail, which is what most people have.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 51):
Goat, especially when boiled and served with lots of oregano, salt, and pepper is absolutely delicious.

Damn right it is.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 51):
Rabbit and hare are quite delicious, although I have a hard time eating them now. There's just something unsettling about eating a bunny, which is hypocritical considering I eat beef, pork, chicken, etc., but rabbit is something I just can't do.

This is actually a great thing to do as a social experiment if you're a bit of a jerk, since lots of people have this hang-up. There's a tapas place in DC that often has rabbit on the menu (along with other fun things that gross some people out - e.g., octopus). I try to eat there with any woman within about a month of us dating. I order rabbit, and see what happens.

Other fun stuff: duck blood, bison (for non-Americans at least). I'm probably forgetting a few.

iairallie

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:35 am

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 13):
None of them taste like chicken

Yeah. I've had alligator and it tasted like a slightly fishy chicken with a texture that was not quite chickeny.

My wierdest I guess is kangaroo carpaccio (raw marinated thinly sliced kangaroo meat). Quite good actually I rather like kangaroo.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Mortyman

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:25 am

Sugar Ants
Camel
Kangaroo
Deer
Reindeer
Moose

Super80DFW

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:29 am

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 17):

Is it just me, or is that kangaroo and the bottom striking a pose?
EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

N1120A

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:44 am

Incidentally, perhaps my favorite "strange" food is huitlacoche, also known as corn smut/blight/fungus or Mexican Truffle.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 53):

Just nitpicking, but its cabeZa

Whoops.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

andz

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned haggis among all the "normal" foods being touted as unusual.

Ingredients:
Set of sheep's heart, lungs and liver (cleaned by a butcher)
One beef bung*
3 cups finely chopped suet
One cup medium ground oatmeal
Two medium onions, finely chopped
One cup beef stock
One teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
One teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon mace

* The sausage casing made from the large intestine being, about 50 mm in diameter from a pig (hog bung) or 75 to 100 mm in diameter from beef. Used for large diameter sausages, e.g. Bologna, liver sausage, haggis, etc.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

WarRI1

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:50 am

Quoting iairallie (Reply 55):
My wierdest I guess is kangaroo carpaccio (raw marinated thinly sliced kangaroo meat). Quite good actually I rather like kangaroo.

I tried that, I think it was in Canada. Has anyone had Sufrite? An Italian dish, made with lungs, organ meat, like heart and spleen, fried with tomatoes, hot peppers and onions. Now banned by FDA because of air pollution. It was very common here years ago, probably still is in some form. Not sold in resturants now., here anyway. I have not had it in 40 years or more. I would not touch it now.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:22 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 58):
Incidentally, perhaps my favorite "strange" food is huitlacoche, also known as corn smut/blight/fungus or Mexican Truffle.

Ah yes another one I like, as unpleasant as it may look in the raw...

WarRI1

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 61):
Ah yes another one I like, as unpleasant as it may look in the raw...

Now that looks disgusting, it make Sufrite seem like baby food. I assume they were normal ears of corn until the blight took over. I would guess it must be cooked before consumption.   
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

OA412

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:20 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 62):
Now that looks disgusting, it make Sufrite seem like baby food. I assume they were normal ears of corn until the blight took over. I would guess it must be cooked before consumption.

There is some additional info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_smut

I'm with you though. I'm usually fairly adventurous food-wise, and I love to experiment with new ingredients, but this is just one thing I have no interest in.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

ariis

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:22 pm

I had locust, small mole crickets and wasps' larvae.

I once had the chance to break the shell of above mentioned balut but what came out of it was absolutely out of discussion...   
FAO - Flight Activities Officer

idealstandard

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Quoting aaflt1871 (Reply 52):

I disagree. Weisswurst with sweet mustard, pretzen and weissbier in the morning is second to nothing! Really special food for special occasions like birthdays, Christmas etc.

rabenschlag

Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Quoting idealstandard (Reply 65):
I disagree. Weisswurst with sweet mustard, pretzen and weissbier in the morning is second to nothing! Really special food for special occasions like birthdays, Christmas etc.

Surely a matter of taste, but I love it. Not only on special occasions. A blue-white summer sky is reason enough to have a Bavarian breakfast.

comorin

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:48 pm

For true Weisswurst lovers who know how serious this matter is:

http://www.andreas-kellner.de/papers/ww.pdf

idealstandard

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Quoting Rabenschlag (Reply 66):
Surely a matter of taste, but I love it. Not only on special occasions. A blue-white summer sky is reason enough to have a Bavarian breakfast.

Of course a matter of taste, I just think one of those things that cannot possibly be mistaken for scheisse!

Love it.

andz

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:15 am

Quoting idealstandard (Reply 65):
I disagree. Weisswurst with sweet mustard, pretzen and weissbier in the morning is second to nothing!

I concur. My introduction to Weisswurst was in the Feierling beer garden in Freiburg, couldn't get enough!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...