Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airportugal310

RE: Official 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread #4

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Quoting Severnaya (Reply 197):
If talking about diving & Italy....we'd better change it to Portugal, what a tremendous a** Tiago for that dive a minute ago.

We invented it!   

EZEIZA

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 198):
They can top the group with a draw. So they may play for that.

Chile? I doubt they could handle Spain attacking them for 90 minutes. Remember Spain needs to win so in theory they'll attack non stop.

Severnaya

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Quoting aviationmaster (Reply 199):
We have a battle going on between Brazil and Portugal - 7 yellow cards in the first half. 

Very interesting indeed, the Portuguese are 'infamous' of it, It remembers me of the Battle of Nuremberg 4 years ago.

Quoting aviationmaster (Reply 199):
And Pepe should've been sent off for his terrible foul

Indeed, together with Juan after his hand ball.

aviationmaster

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:15 pm

Quoting Severnaya (Reply 202):
It remembers me of the Battle of Nuremberg 4 years ago

A true World Cup classic - for all the wrong reasons though!

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 201):
Chile? I doubt they could handle Spain attacking them for 90 minutes. Remember Spain needs to win so in theory they'll attack non stop.

Its going to be one interesting match since both teams rely mostly on their offense. I think Chile may end up regretting not having scored more goals during their last two matches. Two goals with the amount of chances they had in their two last games is just not enough.

racko

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Shameful display by Brazil and Portugal.

lxa333

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Good job Portugal almost won and kept Brazil at bay, but not really surprised, Bruno Alves and Carvalho are great center backs.

lapa_saab340

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 194):
If Chile looses (and they are not playing North Korea) they are out. Believe me, they are fighting

I don't see it that way. A tie will be enough for Chile, while Spain needs a win if the Swiss beat Honduras (which is a very likely outcome). The pressure is clearly on Spain, and I think in general the Chileans have been underestimated.

TheSonntag

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:03 pm

What a bad, boring game...

Quoting aviationmaster (Reply 203):
A true World Cup classic - for all the wrong reasons though!

True, always fun to watch, especially this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQSSBTxofa8

mirrodie

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:06 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 174):
your hatred of Italy blinds you

Who said I hated Italy? Most of my best friends yield from there. You should be careful not to misread others.
Nor do I hate italian soccer. I do HATE their completely dishonorable tactics and do respect and commend them when they can win games without the BS.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 174):
your fantasy about how Italy has won 4 World Cups by diving.

No fantasy, Nick and once again, why must you put words into my mouth? It must fulfill some need you have. I never said anything about 4 world cups. You are extrapolating. However, as you can see, I was clearly able to back up my statements with video. I recommend you try doing the same.

It was HYSTERICAL that I found that soccer training camp video. just goes to show that Italy's diving skills are so well known that a COMMERCIAL making fun of it was made!!! LOL Think about that a second... a corporation went to such lengths and $$$s to draw upon a well known fact!

Quoting Acheron (Reply 176):
Oh, noone is saying their 4 titles are due to diving. Everbody knows the first two were rigged by Mussolini, and no, I'm not joking abut that, its in the history books.

Then, in 2006, Italy decided to send the olympic diving team instead of a proper squad.

So, that pretty much leaves the 1982 cup as the only one won on the basis of skill and not just sheer luck.

Acheron,.......good luck trying to argue logic and fact with fanaticism..... :-/ For some time, Nikv69 follwed me around with a tape recording of GOAL after Totti scored after that dive in the PK area.

What Nick has taught me is that argue and logic will NEVER win vs fanaticism.

lapa_saab340

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:06 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 198):
They can top the group with a draw. So they may play for that.

Possible, but I doubt it...it's not Bielsa's style. It's going to be an interesting game  

af773atmsp

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Another loss for North Korea.   Was the game on live in North Korea, and when will the team go back?

EZEIZA

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Quoting LAPA_SAAB340 (Reply 206):
I don't see it that way. A tie will be enough for Chile, while Spain needs a win if the Swiss beat Honduras (which is a very likely outcome). The pressure is clearly on Spain, and I think in general the Chileans have been underestimated

we are saying pretty much the same thing, the difference being that I believe that most times a team comes out to look for a tie, they'll end up losing. Chile has to go out to win guarantee their quelification, especially since Chile's strongest point is their attack.

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 208):
I do HATE their completely dishonorable tactics and do respect and commend them when they can win games without the BS.

defending is not a dishonorable tactic. It can be boring for the neutral spectator, but its perfectly honrable.

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 208):
However, as you can see, I was clearly able to back up my statements with video

a video of Gilardino diving ina Milan game? come on ...
the only one play is against Australia in 2006, and btw, that was a 0-0 game, so even if it hadn't been penalty, we still don't know thw outcome. And funny how everyone forgets that in that game an Italian player was wrongly given a red card. So if Australia weren't able to score against 10 men for 45 minutes, it's their fault. If not, we can blame the ref for yesterdays calls agaims Slovakia.

Quoting Acheron (Reply 176):
Oh, noone is saying their 4 titles are due to diving. Everbody knows the first two were rigged by Mussolini, and no, I'm not joking abut that, its in the history books.

Then, in 2006, Italy decided to send the olympic diving team instead of a proper squad.

So, that pretty much leaves the 1982 cup as the only one won on the basis of skill and not just sheer luck.

how was 1938 rigged by Mussolini? Was he ruling France too? And how can you say 2006 was not properly won?
Facts: Italy didn't lose a single game and only recieved two goals, one by pk and the other an own goal. The only ref. bad call was against Australia, but check what I wrote above.
Unatractive football? Maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that they deserved the cup. And if Framce had won the final, they would have deserved it despite their awful first round.

[Edited 2010-06-25 10:06:02]

iakobos

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:51 pm

NKPA by telex from South Africa
Electromagnetic interferences from intense solar activity combined with the usual jamming from the evil imperialists have prevented our great people to see the heroic feats of our valiant team.
Boosted by the best wishes of Our Dear Leader, North Korea has been voted unanimously and by acclamation for the third consecutive time "best team" of the game.
Our goalkeeper has been damaged three times by the enemy but remained courageously at his post, a true inspiration for his comrades.
In order to reduce the enormous costs encurred in this capitalist country and the effects on the people's coffers, Our Dear Leader, in his great wisdom, has asked the glorious delegation to return to their land.
Eternal Glory to our Leader and our Heroes.

EZEIZA

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Quoting iakobos (Reply 212):
NKPA by telex from South Africa
Electromagnetic interferences from intense solar activity combined with the usual jamming from the evil imperialists have prevented our great people to see the heroic feats of our valiant team.
Boosted by the best wishes of Our Dear Leader, North Korea has been voted unanimously and by acclamation for the third consecutive time "best team" of the game.
Our goalkeeper has been damaged three times by the enemy but remained courageously at his post, a true inspiration for his comrades.
In order to reduce the enormous costs encurred in this capitalist country and the effects on the people's coffers, Our Dear Leader, in his great wisdom, has asked the glorious delegation to return to their land.
Eternal Glory to our Leader and our Heroes.

I'm assuming it's a joke, but unfortinately it could even be a true statement!

iakobos

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Our goalkeeper has been damaged three times by the enemy
Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 213):
I'm assuming it's a joke

Your assumption is correct...

Sabena332

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Did I see that right, they serve Budweiser in glas bottles in the stadiums? Are these bottles really glas bottles or plastic bottles that look like glas bottles? I am asking because glas bottles are banned completely in Germany (and probably also in the rest of Europe and the USA) in sport stadiums. Here you get your drinks in plastic cups and when there is a heated game (e.g. Dortmund vs. Schalke) the platic cups are made from even thinner material so that you can't hurt anyone with it.

Patrick

PSA53

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Luftfahrer

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:40 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 215):

I found this: http://www.sun2surf.com/article.cfm?id=48135
Aluminium bottles.

Sabena332

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 217):
I found this: http://www.sun2surf.com/article.cfm?id=48135
Aluminium bottles.

Interesting, now they also sell regular Bud in aluminum bottles, I only know Bud Light with Lime in these bottles.

But the guy they showed on TV earlier tonight had a different bottle, it was either glas or plastic that looked like glas.

And while we are at it, I had a Budweiser (it is called "Anheuser-Bush" here in Germany due to some leagal issue with the Budweiser brewery from the Czech Republic) while watching the Ghana-Germany game last Wednesday. My girly and me entered the bar, I reserved two seats near the TV while my girly went to the bar to get drinks for us, guess what she brought me.... yes, a bottle of Anheuser-Bush. It wasn't too bad actually, the light taste of it did fit perfect to the warm summer evening.

Patrick

AM744

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:37 pm

So, the first round is over. England-Germany and Portugal-Spain look specially interesting.

Sabena332

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:46 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 219):
England-Germany and Portugal-Spain look specially interesting.

England-Germany is already clear (at least for me), England will win this easily when the German team appears like last Wednesday.

Portugal-Spain on the other hand will be really interesting, I am looking forward to it!

Patrick

mirrodie

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 210):
Was the game on live in North Korea, and when will the team go back?
Our Dear Leader

Actually, I wouldn't want to be on that team, heading back home to "Our dear leader"...

iakobos

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Well, who knows, the DPRK team had a first class performance against Brazil.
It looks to me as if they played a different system against Portugal, perhaps the coach could have been thinking of playing for a win.
Not a single cheater in that team by the way, not a single bad foul, and referees' decisions were acknowledged without a blink. An example for many.

Good luck to them back in Pyong Yang and see you back in four years guys.

LTU932

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 220):
England-Germany is already clear (at least for me), England will win this easily when the German team appears like last Wednesday.

Try to stay positive.  

Sabena332

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:07 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 223):
Try to stay positive.

I'll try, but it is hard to do so.

Seriously, I don't want to pretend the typical German here who is thinking that we'll kick them all. I am always thinking in a positive way, but now, the realistic part of my brain knocked out my positive thinking part.  

England will win this. And we Germans will get the highest punishment for this.... Sammer as national coach! (insert suicide smiley here).

Patrick

LTU932

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 224):
And we Germans will get the highest punishment for this.... Sammer as national coach!

Agreed, but either way, Sammer is coming! I mean, how the hell can the DFB allow an official to become Bundestrainer, when in his previous career as manager of the BVB and VfB Stuttgart, he failed completely (except his first two seasons at the BVB), without even giving Hansi Flick a chance of getting the promotion? Hell, if we need a new guy and Hansi Flick isn't the candidate, why don't we get Marco van Basten instead? He may be the first foreign Bundestrainer, but he has some experience with the Netherlands, plus he's a student of Rinus Michels, one of the creators of Dutch total football. Had Bayern won the UCL, I would have said that we should get van Gaal as successor of Jogi Löw as Bundestrainer, but if it has to be a Dutch one, we might as well settle with van Basten.  

In all seriousness, the idea seems far fetched, but if the DFB won't even consider Hansi Flick for promotion, then let's go radical and choose someone who's NOT an official, even if he's not German.

EDIT: Just to say, perhaps we should spare ourselves the debate about the next Bundestrainer. The DFB won't listen to us fans anyway and will allow the powerhungry Sammer to take over and ruin us completely.

[Edited 2010-06-25 16:38:08]

Longhornmaniac

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:24 pm

England will win this. And we Germans will get the highest punishment for this.... Sammer as national coach! (insert suicide smiley here).

It's not exactly like England played particularly well, either, Patrick. I think you're selling your team short.

Cheers,
Cameron

Beta

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:35 pm

What's wrong with the current Germany coach? Why can't he stay? He seems to be doing a good job with a young squad.

LTU932

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Quoting Beta (Reply 227):
What's wrong with the current Germany coach? Why can't he stay? He seems to be doing a good job with a young squad.

Here's the short version:

1. The first negotiations for a contract extension failed miserably. And for a second negotiation to become successful, Löw has to win the title, there's no way around it.
2. Matthias Sammer has been hungry for the job since Löw came to power, and he'd also love to get rid of his eternal rival at the DFB, Oliver Bierhoff.
3. If he fails to advance to the next round, Löw will be fired. If he wins the final, chances are high that he will resign.
4. Löw is less than popular with Bundesliga managers, particularly Felix Magath (who has had a major beef with Löw, directly and indirectly, since the days of Jürgen Klinsmann as Bundestrainer).

AutothrustBlue

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 220):

Having Klose back from suspension can strengthen Germany's attacking power compared to what was brought out vs. Ghana.

Beta

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:07 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 228):
1. The first negotiations for a contract extension failed miserably. And for a second negotiation to become successful, Löw has to win the title, there's no way around it.

Sometime I just don't understand the mentality of Euro soccer people. Here's why: Winning a WCup is exceedingly difficult, arguably the most difficult feat in sports. There are only a handful of coaches ever done that. So how can that be the basis for negotiating a job contract? It boggles the mind, really!

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 228):
Löw is less than popular with Bundesliga managers, particularly Felix Magath (who has had a major beef with Löw, directly and indirectly, since the days of Jürgen Klinsmann as Bundestrainer).

I thought Klinsmann and this guy Low have done a really good job for Germany team. They completely change the philosophical underpinning of the German team style of play from defensive to a more expansive, expressive, attacking style. I've thought that's a good thing, and he should be rewarded by keeping his job. But guess not. It's a shame if you guys lose him.

Btw prediction for German vs England: England wins! There are just too many injuries for the German team to overcome both pre-tournament and in tournament. The team can only make up so far before it's starting to bite.

ltbewr

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:32 am

With the first round over, a summary:

Dummest Play: England goalkeeper in match vs. US

Worst Team(s): France and Italy. These are both past Cup winners, both had hideous coaching, player infighting, too many old or weak players. They just blew it. Yes there were teams that were truly unworthy to even be in the WC (Especially North Korea), but France and Italy were expected to do a lot better.

Best Teams not to make it to Quarters: NZ and Switzerland.

Most lucky teams to make it to the Quarters: Mexico, England and USA

Biggest Complaint: Too may bad calls in critical matches. Made worse by their lack of real punishment for bad officials.

Americas Rule ! - 7 of the 8 teams from the Americas are in the Quarters. It is most likely the Cup winner will be from the Americas - and not necessarly Brazil. Urguary seems to be a interesting possibiltiy. Brazil is no lock to beat Chile.

The matches in the Quarters look good. Germany v. England perhaps the most anticipated.

GO USA !!!

pzurita1

Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:10 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 231):

Switzerland lack of goal makes me think it was fair that they did not qualify. On the other hand, NZ was a nice surprise, but I think Australia played much better despite its 4-nil against DE.

Beta

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:29 am

NZ and Switzerland are the best teams not to make it to the next round?? Seriously? You must have watched some other World Cups, and NOT the 2010 WCup in Africa. Off the top of my head I can think of several teams were better than the 2 above, namely the Socceroos Australia (who recovered and played well in later matches) and Serbia. Heck, Bafana Bafana played alot better and more exciting than NZ and Switzerland combined.

Not a Mexico fan here, but how do you come up with Mexico being among most lucky to advance??? They won and advanced fair and square, and certainly played more attacking soccer than say Switzerland, who were exposed today as a totally 1-dimensional team with no offense and their 1 goal against Spain was total and complete fluke.

EZEIZA

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:54 am

Best Teams not to make it to Quarters: NZ and Switzerland

huh? no way! NZ and Switzerland played terrible football. I think Cameroon was better for example, and several more.

USA would have been actually the most unlucky team to not make it through. Mexico did what they had to do, beating France fair and square, as well as England. Although of the three, the England team probably deserved it the least, but at the same time they didn't qualify by luck, they won the crucial game.

TheSonntag

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:24 am

Quoting Beta (Reply 230):
So how can that be the basis for negotiating a job contract?

Because in Germany, England, Italy, France, Argentina and Brazil, only winning is an acceptable result  

Lumberton

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 162):
Still picking England over Germany.

Looks like I'm wrong. Paul, the Octopus, has weighed in and it ain't good news for England.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/odd-1574...s-german-win-over-england-20533390

MD11Engineer

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:57 pm

The German team simply HAS to beat England or we´ll never hear the end of it. Even if the English will fail during the next WCs for the next 50 years, they will always remind us of their two football wins ("Two world wars and TWO world cups").

Jan

Beta

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 237):
The German team simply HAS to beat England or we´ll never hear the end of it.

This is what is called "irrational exuberance."   The chance of Germany beating England in this WCup is infinitestimal. Because of injuries the German coach is likely to start the Badstuber guy as 1 of the side defender (is that the correct term in soccer?) opposite Phillip Lahm, and he is BAD news for you German fans. I caught a glimpse of him in the Bayern Munich vs MU match, and Wayne Rooney and co simply ran him ragged, and scored at least 2 goals off him. In the match against Serbia this WCup, he was repeatedly beaten and directly responsible for the cross to goal score for Serbia. If Badstuber plays in this next match, I predict Wayne Rooney is going to score 1-2 goals from his side of the defence. Badstuber is the right treatment to whatever is ailing Rooney. The Germany offense is not good enough to compensate for that. Hence as a neutral fan I'd say England wins handily.

[Edited 2010-06-26 08:08:01]

NIKV69

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Great goal by South Korea! Would like to see them win. Also what is with all these empty seats! Not good at all. There should never be an empty seat at a world cup.

LTU932

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Sometime I just don't understand the mentality of Euro soccer people. Here's why: Winning a WCup is exceedingly difficult, arguably the most difficult feat in sports. There are only a handful of coaches ever done that. So how can that be the basis for negotiating a job contract? It boggles the mind, really!

Officials in football are much less patient than e.g. in the NFL or in Baseball. In football, you can even get fired for being in a slump.

I thought Klinsmann and this guy Low have done a really good job for Germany team. They completely change the philosophical underpinning of the German team style of play from defensive to a more expansive, expressive, attacking style. I've thought that's a good thing, and he should be rewarded by keeping his job. But guess not. It's a shame if you guys lose him.

Yes, but even throughout the Klinsmann times, they were never popular with other managers. Magath is one of those who has openly criticised the training methods introduced by Klinsmann and Löw over and over again. He feels that most of the things to be done right now should be left to their individual teams, but Magath forgets that this is the DFB, where the federation decides what to do with the national team, not the clubs like in Mexico (and I'm not inventing, in the Mexican football federation FMF, things are decided by the owners/presidents of the top 18 clubs in the country, not by independent people).

TheSonntag

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Quoting Beta (Reply 238):
The chance of Germany beating England in this WCup is infinitestimal.

IMHO, this opinion of foreign observers is one of the reasons why Germany is successful over and over again. Never ever underestimate the power of the Turniermannschaft 

SA006

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:06 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 239):

Was pouring down in Port Elizabeth, think most of the fans took cover. The commentator remarked that it was the wettest he has ever seen in a World Cup.

Uruguay vs USA/Ghana - Interesting match up in the quarters.

The whole of Africa will be watching tonight willing Ghana on to make the quarters. Should be interesting.

-SA006

NIKV69

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:11 pm

Quoting SA006 (Reply 242):
Was pouring down in Port Elizabeth, think most of the fans took cover. The commentator remarked that it was the wettest he has ever seen in a World Cup.

Granted but most of the games have had many empty seats even when the sun was shining. I would like to see the attendance stats for this WC when it's over. I don't I have ever seen an empty seat at a WC. When it was in the US I
went to the Italy-Bulgaria semi and it was a mad house.

KPDX

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:22 pm

I have never been much a soccer fan but I can't wait for USA vs Ghana! Go USA! 

Anyone want the honors of starting FIFA World Cup Thread #5? This one is starting to get pretty slow.

Sabena332

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 244):
Anyone want the honors of starting FIFA World Cup Thread #5? This one is starting to get pretty slow.

Yeah, let's start a new thread for the final rounds.

I am looking forward to the upcoming game. I'll cheer for the USA, they are playing pretty decent football and they have two Bundesliga players in their team (Steven Cherundolo & Michael Bradley).

Patrick

NIKV69

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:38 pm

US let up an early, soft goal, what a shock. Jesus. Come on!

BR076

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:45 pm

let's continue here

Official 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread #5 (by BR076 Jun 26 2010 in Non Aviation)