Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sabena332

RE: Official 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread #5

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:26 pm

So it's Argentinia again like four years ago. Can someone please call Jens Lehmann and tell him that he should bring a cheat sheet along?    Well, I guess we end the game after 90 minutes with a 3:1 this time.  

Patrick

Severnaya

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:26 pm

So that'll be next Saturday Argentina-Germany, a very interesting fixture!

Quoting AutothrustBlue (Reply 150):
Didn't FIFA say they would introduce the goal line officials for the 2012 Euros?

For the 2012 qualification matches yes and they'll also introduce this for this years Champions' League, I didn't hear about the goal line officials at EURO 2012 yet, but that may be true.

StarAC17

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:28 pm

No worries now, I'm confident that Argentina will hand Germany revenge on England's behalf   .

AutothrustBlue

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 185):

Two travesties today. Does Blatter have eyes?

He has eyes, but doesn't have ears.

EZEIZA

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:45 pm

The level of the linesmen is terrible! England's goal was 3 meters in, and Tevez today was 3 meters offside. I'm not a fan of introducing technology into the game, but something has to be done about the level of the officials

scbriml

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 204):
The level of the linesmen is terrible! England's goal was 3 meters in, and Tevez today was 3 meters offside.

As much as it pains me to say it, England's 'goal' was probably closer to 1m than 3. But clearly over the line.
Big version: Width: 642 Height: 361 File size: 78kb
Not a goal!

[Edited 2010-06-27 14:19:14]

Sabena332

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:18 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 205):
But clearly over the line.

And that is the reason why I completely agree with this post:

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 204):
I'm not a fan of introducing technology into the game, but something has to be done about the level of the officials

I am also not a fan of bringing more technology into football games, but I am for it now since I saw all these terrible piss-poor referee decisions lately.

Patrick

NIKV69

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:22 pm

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 184):
Argentina, enough with the diving already. You will never excel in that arena.

Mario everyone in soccer dives, what are you going to do next launch a campaign against shirt pulling?

Klaus

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 199):
Maybe we weren't watching the same game. Between England's "first" goal and Germany's third, England were applying some good pressure and weren't exactly "backs to the wall".

Sure, but even then they were mostly just muddling through somehow until the german team regained their composure.

I don't remember any coherent plays during the match which reached a remotely similar level to their opponents.

Quoting David L (Reply 199):
Who's to say it wouldn't have continued if they hadn't been forced by circumstances to press ever harder and start to leave gaps at the back?

I am.

At least as evidenced by this game as it happened, they simply didn't have the means.

[Edited 2010-06-27 14:33:15]

TheSonntag

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:36 pm

Sorry England. I guess everyone here knows how patriotic I am about the german team, but you deserved to equalise. I am sorry for this clearly wrong decision of the referee.

Apart from that, and knowing that a 2:2 might have caused a completely different outcome, I still believe that Germany deserved to win the game.

Anyway, from me, no more complaining about the Wembley Goal. See you in 2 or 4 years.

Rj111

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 208):
Sure, but even then they were mostly just muddling through somehow until the german team regained their composure.

We hit the bar twice and scored a goal in this time.

[Edited 2010-06-27 14:44:01]

David_itl

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:50 pm

One of those efforts that hit the bar (the Defore header) was flagged offside,. But as he was level with the last defender, it fits into the pattern that the linesman wasn't doing his job

SpeedBirdA380

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:33 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 209):
Sorry England. I guess everyone here knows how patriotic I am about the german team, but you deserved to equalise. I am sorry for this clearly wrong decision of the referee.

Thanks...

Apart from that, and knowing that a 2:2 might have caused a completely different outcome

Agreed. Its nice to hear a German saying that. Thats the point I and a few others have been trying to make. Just because England were playing badly doe's not mean we might not have gone on to win it. Everyone quite rightly states that England were playing poorly, but despite this they still managed to score two goals against Germany so nobody knows what would have happened if the goal would have been allowed and it would have been 2:2.

I still believe that Germany deserved to win the game.

Yes I agree with you. Congratulations on your win.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 208):
At least as evidenced by this game as it happened, they simply didn't have the means.

True....we were simply not good enough and Germany were the better team. However its worth noting German fans that a very poor England team scored twice against you and also hit the bar twice. Something to think about perhaps when your side face the likes of Messi,Tevez and Higuain next Saturday.....   

But seriously well done Germany.You deserved your win today.

[email protected]

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:29 pm

The fact that Germany went on and smashed us 4-1 makes Lampard's blatant goal irrelevant, yeah it was a shocking piece of refereeing but England were well and truly outplayed. It really was embarassing at times, the defending and organisation was amateurish. The Germans probably could not believe how bad England were, it was that easy at times. Fabio Capello will get hammered in the media but then again every England manager does, Capello is only partly to blame. The technical ability and mental attitude of English players is just not right. We just can't get to grips with the basics of the game, like passing it around and keeping possesion, positioning, creating space etc. If one of the greatest managers in football can't get England playing, then who can? The brutal reality is that England are light years from even coming close of winning a World Cup.

Who are the jokers that made England third favourites to win the World Cup? LMAO

RayChuang

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 194):
A goal line camera is clearly a low hanging fruit.

Offsides can take a while to calculate even with replays.

That's why Adidas has been rumored to be studying the idea of putting RFID tags on individual player's shoes--it will allow very precise geolocation of the player on the field, which means it's now possible to electronically watch for offside calls.

Mir

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:08 am

While I don't think it made a difference in either game, the officiating in this WC has been awful. Two disallowed goals for the USA, and now these two disasters. And neither were particularly close calls.

I don't think there's a game in which one goal means more than soccer, and FIFA needs to wake up and realize that the technology to get these calls right exists, and has existed for a long time now - have someone take a look at the replay, signal the ref on the field, and tell him that it was a goal. 2-2 is a very different game than 2-1, and while Germany was playing better, we have no idea what would have happened had the goal been counted properly. If the NHL can get this right, FIFA can as well. Hell, the refs are already wearing headsets, so it would be even easier to communicate with an extra official who is watching the TV replays.

Congratulations to Germany and Argentina, and it's going to be a fun matchup next weekend, but when you have to wonder what could have been, it's not good for the game.

-Mir

EZEIZA

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:52 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 215):
I don't think there's a game in which one goal means more than soccer, and FIFA needs to wake up and realize that the technology to get these calls right exists, and has existed for a long time now - have someone take a look at the replay, signal the ref on the field, and tell him that it was a goal. 2-2 is a very different game than 2-1, and while Germany was playing better, we have no idea what would have happened had the goal been counted properly. If the NHL can get this right, FIFA can as well. Hell, the refs are already wearing headsets, so it would be even easier to communicate with an extra official who is watching the TV replays.

I would agree only to a case like this one to use technology, because if the ball is in, it's a goal, end of story. However I would not like to see the same thing applied to offside calls or any other part of the game ....

TheSonntag

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:00 am

TheSonntag

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:31 am

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Reply 212):
However its worth noting German fans that a very poor England team scored twice against you and also hit the bar twice. Something to think about perhaps when your side face the likes of Messi,Tevez and Higuain next Saturday.....

Very true. I just hope they stay on earth, because Messi will not be as forgiving. I think Argentina vs Germany will be a great, legendary match.

I am already looking forward to the next duel with England. The game yesterday certainly was another legendary game. My respect especially goes to the English supporters, I really wish them a succesful tournament soon (as long as you don't play against us   ).

Severnaya

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:50 am

So, today's fixtures

16:00 Netherlands-Slovakia
20:30 Brazil-Chile

Go Holland! I hope finally the Dutch team is gonna show their true capabilities with attractive football, but of course the result is what counts. Van der Vaart seems to be too injured to play, so perhaps there will be Robben in the start-11, however more likely would be Elia or Afellay on the left-wing.

The evening match promises also to be interesting!

LTU932

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 am

Quoting Severnaya (Reply 219):
Van der Vaart seems to be too injured to play, so perhaps there will be Robben in the start-11,

From what I've read, Robben isn't ready for a full 90 minutes yet, much less for extra time. So he'll be more likely to come from the bench.

Severnaya

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:48 am

Van Marwijk has indicated yesterday that Robben is able to play full matches. For extra time, yeah that's indeed the question, but Mr. Man-of-Glass is every match a question mark  

Andreas

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:27 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 213):
The fact that Germany went on and smashed us 4-1 makes Lampard's blatant goal irrelevant, yeah it was a shocking piece of refereeing but England were well and truly outplayed. It really was embarassing at times, the defending and organisation was amateurish. The Germans probably could not believe how bad England were, it was that easy at times. Fabio Capello will get hammered in the media but then again every England manager does, Capello is only partly to blame. The technical ability and mental attitude of English players is just not right. We just can't get to grips with the basics of the game, like passing it around and keeping possesion, positioning, creating space etc. If one of the greatest managers in football can't get England playing, then who can? The brutal reality is that England are light years from even coming close of winning a World Cup.

Indeed I couldn't believe my eyes just how amateurish that "captain of the hearts" Terry was outmanouevered in minute 20...and Upson should be thankful that Klose chose to try it and NOT to dive...given the Ref's performance it would have been penalty and possibly red for Upson (he did have his arm in the right place  )...and from then on, he got worse and worse.... see minutes 67 and 70, that looked just so easy...and you could see it in Gerrards face that he gave up about 15 minutes before the end.

I said it in another thread but England seems to be now in the very place German football was in 2004: Football of the 80ies, played by "stars" who felt as if they had been around in the 80ies...not wanting to acknowledge that the game has moved in the meantime. You can see that in PL, you could see it in Bundesliga, but on the national level nobody seems to care, even though hiring Capello seemed a perfect move (and I still believe that given some of England's performances during qualification).

In Germany there was some kind of turnaround, now get your act together and do the same...or not. We'll be more than happy to send you home early from WCs/ECs the next 44 years.   

MadameConcorde

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 218):
My respect especially goes to the English supporters

errr... not in this case.... look at the pictures

this is simply.... awful.  

Violence flares in Leicester Square after England's shocking World Cup defeat

Mob: Dozens of police can be seen to the left of this picture standing guard in a bid to quell violence that erupted in the centre of London after England were spectacularly knocked out of the World Cup

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Englands-defeat.html#ixzz0s8t22lVl

Wow!

TheSonntag

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:45 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 223):

True, but it cites:

This was one of a few isolated incidents of football violence

Not a nice scene, but most fans really behaved well. I would appreciate if the press would tone down the "war" rhetorics, though, as they do not help a peaceful atmosphere.

Sabena332

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:56 am

Quoting Severnaya (Reply 219):
So, today's fixtures

16:00 Netherlands-Slovakia
20:30 Brazil-Chile

I predict victories for Holland and Brazil.

And now a general warning: The World Cup takes a break on Wednedsay and Thursday. There will be no football at all on TV on these two days.      

Patrick

aero145

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 225):
And now a general warning: The World Cup takes a break on Wednedsay and Thursday. There will be no football at all on TV on these two days.  

Ow come on, enjoy the beautiful weather! ... and the couple of raindrops ...   

It would be awfully burning if Chile would win today!

Severnaya

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:34 pm

That is crap   .

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 220):
From what I've read, Robben isn't ready for a full 90 minutes yet, much less for extra time. So he'll be more likely to come from the bench.

Holland just confirmed their line-up, Robben starts on the right wing, and Kuyt shifts to the left wing.

Sabena332

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 226):
Ow come on, enjoy the beautiful weather!

It's a bit too warm for me, the thermometer of my car just showed 32.5°C.    I already drunk three ice-cold bottles of Powerade today.

Quoting aero145 (Reply 226):
and the couple of raindrops

Not a single cloud here, blue sky and sunshine.

Patrick

LTU932

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Quoting Andreas (Reply 222):
you could see it in Gerrards face that he gave up about 15 minutes before the end.

At least Mr Gerrard did not hide behind the ref error like his manager did, and admitted that Germany was the better team yesterday.

The World Cup takes a break on Wednedsay and Thursday.

Damn... in some way, a bit of relief because then I can go back home from work without having to think about the World Cup (the same for next Sunday, when I can finally do my laundry without having to hurry and I can do a small tour that I've been meaning to do). So, in a way, this is bad news and good news as well.

Quoting Severnaya (Reply 227):
Holland just confirmed their line-up, Robben starts on the right wing, and Kuyt shifts to the left wing.

Interessting development.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 228):

Here in Hamburg, the only clouds I've seen are merely decorative, for a nice blue backdrop. In Hamburg Central Station, the thermometer showed 25°C, but that's probably in the shade, within the hall. I guesstimate that we have temperatures between 28 and 30°C right now.

CPH-R

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 229):
Here in Hamburg, the only clouds I've seen are merely decorative, for a nice blue backdrop. In Hamburg Central Station, the thermometer showed 25°C, but that's probably in the shade, within the hall. I guesstimate that we have temperatures between 28 and 30°C right now.

Same situation amongst your northern neighbours. I'm already dreading the coming weekend at Roskilde Festival, with the rumors saying temperatures between 30 and 35 degrees C   

aviationmaster

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm enjoying the heat wave. After three weeks of crappy weather, we're finally able to enjoy more than just three days of sunny warm weather.   

EZEIZA

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:16 pm

At least Mr Gerrard did not hide behind the ref error like his manager did, and admitted that Germany was the better team yesterday.

but the ref changed the game completely. Granted that Germany outplayed England, but in the 5 minutes that England were superior, they scored twice .. it would have been a whole different game if the score would have been 2-2. Yes, Germany could have won it anyway, because they did seem like a better team, but had that goal gone in, I would have expected a mre confident English team.

aviationmaster

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Interessting development.

Robben just scored. 

aero145

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:10 pm

It's a bit too warm for me, the thermometer of my car just showed 32.5°C.

Imagine how I feel!

I was talking about Wendnesday and Thursday, buddy.   My thermometers have been showing 31°C, but the skies are light blue and there are many clouds. The sun hasn’t been covered at all though.  

Happy watching!

Sabena332

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 234):
I was talking about Wendnesday and Thursday, buddy.

Oh, now I realize it. Seems that I was a bit too exhausted from work and the heat two hours ago.

Quoting aviationmaster (Reply 233):
Robben just scored.

As expected, Holland on the way to the quarter-final.

And now I have to fill up the fridge with beer, it would be the pure horror when I have to drink warm beer during the Brazil game tonight!  

Patrick

aviationmaster

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 235):
And now I have to fill up the fridge with beer, it would be the pure horror when I have to drink warm beer during the Brazil game tonight!

Ouch, warm beer... I'm sticking to non-alcoholic drinks for the next couple of days. I'm still recovering from Friday evening. 

TheSonntag

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Quoting aviationmaster (Reply 236):

I am recovering from yesterday... Beer and 30 degrees are a dangerous mixture...

exFATboy

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 217):
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball...8,grossbild-2784094-703145,00.html

Awesome!  
Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 223):
this is simply.... awful.

Violence flares in Leicester Square after England's shocking World Cup defeat

A few isolated instances, sad but not that bad.

At least most countries manage to avoid the problems we have here in the States where there are at least a few instances like this from fans celebrating a win!

Sabena332

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:56 pm

Quoting aviationmaster (Reply 236):
I'm still recovering from Friday evening.
Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 237):
I am recovering from yesterday

Wimps, both of you!  

So, 37 minutes left till kick-off, time to open up the first bottle.  I love evenings like today... it's World Cup time, warm wind is coming in from outside and I am drinking an ice-cold beer!   

Patrick

TheSonntag

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 239):

Wimps, both of you!

Says the guy who believed Engerland would win  

Sabena332

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 240):
Says the guy who believed Engerland would win

I admit that I was totally wrong with that. The English team was overrated from the beginning!

I predict a clear victory for our team on Saturday, they'll play Messi & Co. dizzy! Maradona will cry like in the summer night in Rome 20 years ago. 

Patrick

TheSonntag

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 241):
I predict a clear victory for our team on Saturday, they'll play Messi & Co. dizzy! Maradona will cry like in the summer night in Rome 20 years ago. undefined

Lets hope this prediction is better than the previous one  

Sabena332

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Damned fine football from Brazil in the last few minutes, a pleasure to watch!

Patrick

TheSonntag

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Nice game. Finally we get some decent football at this world cup in the recent games.

aviationmaster

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm amazed at how disciplined and patient Brazilian team has played at this World Cup.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 239):
Wimps, both of you!

Now now! My hangover was twice as bad because my team didn't make it past the group stages. Let alone the amount of beer it took to make Switzerland's performance watchable on Friday.  

Sabena332

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:46 pm

Quoting aviationmaster (Reply 245):
My hangover was twice as bad because my team didn't make it past the group stages.

Sorry, I forgot that! When England had kicked Germany out yesterday, I would probably also still hangover.

Patrick

PS: Another great goal by BRA!

aero145

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 235):
Seems that I was a bit too exhausted from work and the heat two hours ago.

No worries, I’ve had my fair share of exhaustion too. And sadness hearing that the amazing Brazilians are really that amazing. I’d have wanted Chile to win, so that Brazil would for a change fall out of the game during the 16-finals.

TheSonntag

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:53 pm

I guess no team in the world (except maybe Spain, Argentina, Germany and the Netherlands on a brilliant day) would have beaten Brazil today. It was not always nice, but really well played and defended.

Severnaya

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 247):
I’d have wanted Chile to win, so that Brazil would for a change fall out of the game during the 16-finals.

They'll drop out at the quarter final on Friday by the mighty Oranje squad.

Revenge, revenge is what we want in Holland for the 1994 World cup Quarter-final & 1998 Semi-final. Especially that last one was a thriller with the penalty-kicks.