Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

greasespot
Topic Author

Toronto G8/G2 Conferance And Riots

Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Live blog: Saturday June 26, 4 p.m.

4:27 p.m. DeBoer's attacked

Protesters created a big hole in a display window at DeBoer’s, the high-end furniture store on Yonge just south of College. An employee approached the hole and yelled “Stop it”; protesters yelled back, “Move back, honey. We don’t hate you, we just hate the company you work for.” She complied. Protesters also smashed windows at the nearby Bell store, then ransacked it and threw cellphones into the street.

4:24 p.m. Police move north on horseback

20 officers on horseback are riding north on Yonge St. Two police coach buses have assembled at Yonge and Queen as the crowds move north.

4:22p.m. 'Torontonians should be outraged'

Mayor David Miller in an interview with CP24: “We have thousands of people peaceably asserting their democratic right to speak up, and a small, relatively small group, probably a few hundred, mostly people who seem to be not from Toronto, come here to on all evidence commit deliberate acts of violence. I think every Torontonian should be outraged by that.”

4:21 p.m. Zanzibar attacked

A female protester shouted “f-you” in the direction of the Zanzibar strip club, then smashed its window with a baseball bat.

Protesters then began tearing down the letters on Zanzibar’s sign one by one.

They also smashed windows of American Apparel, sending mannequins spilling into the street; protesters began ripping the mannequins apart....

http://thestar.blogs.com/g20/

You can follow the progress of the riots....

Part of me agrees that they should be able to protest. In fact I have some friends who work for major organizations there in the protest. How ever that is going on now is no longer a protest.

gs
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

ronglimeng

RE: Toronto G8/G2 Conferance And Riots

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Well, I'm not from Toronto but I was outraged by what I saw on the CBC News a few minutes ago. The footage of some idiot breaking windows really got my blood pressure up. But it seemed like there was an outer circle of media people, either official or unofficial, all around these malignant little groups.

In one scene, a police car was burning, starting with what appeared to be a small fire in the front seat, but very gradually growing to engulf the whole car. Meanwhile, scores of photographers approached the car, one by one, from all sides, getting photos. Did it ever occur to any of them to get an extinguisher and try to put the fire out? They can't be neutral in this, they are citizens too.

By the time this is through, I doubt if the citizens of Toronto will ever want the G20 leaders or the anarchist protesters back!

StarAC17

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:52 pm

To lighten the mood, I know the violence is not funny.

This is nothing, we do this when the Habs advance past the second round of the playoffs.

Signed,

Montreal.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

photopilot

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:53 pm

I don't know what everybody is complaining about. Stephen Harper got his photo op with the other world leaders and never really gave a damn about the cost (monetary) or the cost to Toronto and Canada in lost reputation. You notice how in preparation for this photo op, it was specifically announced that merchants and businesses would be responsible for whatever damage occurs to their property and to seek relief from their own insurance companies.

Harper and his gang created their "fortress" in the middle of downtown Toronto, but outside the fortress fences, our Gov't doesn't give a damn about what it costs the public.

For Shame!!!!

lnglive1011yyz

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:07 am

I hope every violent protester gets exactly what they deserve - a severely injured limb from a horse stepping on it, and a baton across the head.

Peaceful protesting is one thing.. Being a complete and utter moron is another thing.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

scrubbsywg

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:00 am

Quoting photopilot (Reply 3):
I don't know what everybody is complaining about. Stephen Harper got his photo op with the other world leaders and never really gave a damn about the cost (monetary) or the cost to Toronto and Canada in lost reputation. You notice how in preparation for this photo op, it was specifically announced that merchants and businesses would be responsible for whatever damage occurs to their property and to seek relief from their own insurance companies.

Harper and his gang created their "fortress" in the middle of downtown Toronto, but outside the fortress fences, our Gov't doesn't give a damn about what it costs the public.

For Shame!!!!

This is a weak post.

the protestors rioting in downtown toronto i am sure are not protesting just to stick it to harper. These are small groups of thugs that came to toronto to stir shit up. the unfortunate thing is no one can really say who provoked whom and after something starts it is a free for all. You almost sound like you are advocating that just because harper scheduled this in toronto the protestors are alright to be doing what they are doing.

Now, i agree that it was a retarded idea to have this in downtown toronto. should have been in some secluded resort where it was easy to contain. It isn't like these leaders are doing touristy things like the cn tower in toronto. But that does not give any excuse for people to be burning cars, breaking windows, etc.

fucking retards in toronto.

Dreadnought

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:18 am

Obama didn't seem to be bothered by this or any other of the serious issues faced by the G8.

Quote:
When U.S. President Barack Obama stepped off his helicopter in Huntsville on Friday, the first thing he said was, “You’ve got a lot of golf courses here, don’t you?” Industry Minister Tony Clement told the National Post in an exclusive interview.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/06...-huntsvilles-golf-courses-clement/

Has anyone identified the groups that organized the protests?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

lnglive1011yyz

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 6):

Judging by the comments that the Police Chief of Toronto said last night, they are pretty sure they know who most of the vandals are. They arrested over 480 people last night (I might be off by a couple on the # but you get the point.)

The legitimate (ahem, peaceful) protesters were gathered most of the day at Queens Park (Ontario's legislature) without a tiny bit of violence at all.

From my observation, it appeared that most of the vandals were young (university and under) age, and part of that 'sub-group' of society who label themselves as the "punk / alternative / anarchist" movement. It was VERY clear who they were.

Funny, they all look the same -- they all wear the same 1950's cokebottle glasses, have short cropped hair, and wear plaid pants. (Which were all covered by black outerwear during the raids).

The worst part is, people keep saying "Your point of protest is lost!" to these people. But the thing is, they aren't there to protest.. They were there to do exactly what they wanted to do... destroy the city.

Absolute scum.
1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

sasd209

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Quoting lnglive1011yyz (Reply 7):
(Which were all covered by black outerwear during the raids).

Yes, I saw that many of the violent people covered their faces with masks, etc. What bloody cowards....if they REALLY felt so strongly about their position and were that passionate about it, why not man-up and show your faces? Of course so they are not identified and prosecuted. I can respect people who peacefully protest, whatever their cause is, but there is no place for these anonymous and violent fools.

skyservice_330

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 6):

News reports seem to indicate that those using the 'Black Bloc' tactics were organized by the Southern Ontario Anarchists Resistance, and the senior leadership of the group has been arrested. This is in addition to groups that, supposedly, came in from Quebec/Montreal.

Police noted that once it was announced the G8/G20 was coming to Ontario, about a year ago, they (or the RCMP/CSIS) infiltrated several of these known 'fringe' groups and started collecting intelligence for the better part of the entire year. Once things went wild on Saturday they acted on their intelligence and knew who to go after and where. A raid at the University of Toronto Graduate Student Union building over the weekend led to the arrest of 50 people, many who were in posession of dark clothing and other 'items of interest'. Apparently the University of Toronto administration is none too happy and senior leaders of the union have been summoned to appear before University administration to explain themselves.

Interestingly enough, one of the leaders arrested and named in the Toronto Star, went to university with me and we sat together for several years on Faculty council. News of his activism/involvement and arrest don't surprise me one bit.

On Sunday the police bought down 'a heavy hand,' (after the events of Saturday) and were emboldened by extraordinary powers of arrest quietly passed by the Ontario Cabinet prior to the summit. By Monday morning news media was reporting that over 900 people had been arrested and shipped off to a makeshift detention centre/court house in the East end of the City.

Walking up Bay Street this morning the damage was evident: Commerce Court, the headquarters for CIBC, was boarded up; First Canadian Place, headquarters for the Bank of Montreal, was boarded up; Scotia Plaza had visible damage; and the Hudsons Bay Company Store at Queen St. and Bay had the store front all smashed.

On Saturdays events:

"We have never seen that level of wanton criminality and vandalism and destruction on our streets."
Toronto Police Chief, Bill Blair.

"Free speech is a principle of our democracy. But the thugs that prompted violence earlier today represent in no way shape or form the Canadian way of life." Dimitri Soudas, the chief spokesman for Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

"These images are truly shocking to Canadians," Canadian Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said in a statement. "We are taking all measures necessary to ensure Canadians, delegates, media and international visitors remain safe."

Peace, Order and Good Government are at the core of our constitution and society. These thugs and hooligans are not protestors or activists, they are criminals- no more, no less- and offensive to everything Canada stands for.

ronglimeng

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 9):
your last photo

This last photo with the idiot jumping on the burned out vehicle, a burning police car nearby, with onlookers and a police line holding in the distance... sort of encapsulates the weekend for me.

A fair distance away from this scene, the world leaders are safely "cocooned" as the Toronto Star put it, but here we have a so-called anarchist just doing damage unrestrained with onlookers (sympathetic or merely curious?) and police holding a line a couple of hundred metres away.

If I owned a store or business near to this location, and suffered broken windows or worse, I would feel severely let down by my 3 levels of government who gave the security of my property such a low priority, with my police force who were slow to intervene and failed to act on all the intelligence they had apparently been accumulating for a year, and many of my fellow citizens who either treated this all as a carnival or felt they didn't need to get involved when bad things started to happen.

Apparently most of these business owners will be on the hook to pay for their own damages, insurance won't cover.

northstardc4m

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 pm

ok...

It's time for the flip side of the coin here...

There needs to be a public, independent and in depth review of the actions of the police over the summit, including the actions of the government in the months and weeks leading up to it.

There is more than enough anger at the black bloc, but some of the actions of police are questionable to say the least:

Holding HUNDREDS people (and there is ample proof that a good many were not even protesters) in the rain for 4 hours without providing any real LAWFUL justification for doing so.
Arresting ACCREDITED MEDIA (this one someone REALLY missed the boat on!) and volunteers for the CCLA who were authorized to observe the treatment of protesters that were arrested.
Arresting without charge hundreds of people, including many within the police sanctioned safe protest site at Queen's Park.
Arresting for non-applicable offenses and for offenses that are lawfully provided as summons (ticket/fine) and not arrest or detention
Declaring there is a secret 5m law for the fence and then after the summit saying it never existed...

Forget brutality, forget conditions in the holding center...

The people arrested AND charged will do through the courts and justly be tried by the laws.
The problem is the rest of the people detained and/or arrested during the summit, there needs to be an accounting for EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, with a lawful reason, and if there is not one there needs to be some VERY CLEAR CORRECTIVE ACTION to Police procedures and an apology given to those detained.

This is Canada, we HAVE the constitutional right to assembly and to protest peacefully, people need to remember that and it needs to be explained why those rights were ignored.

And before anyone does try to twist what i'm saying, I DO NOT support the actions of anyone who vandalized property or did commit a criminal act.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Dreadnought

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:26 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 11):

And before anyone does try to twist what i'm saying, I DO NOT support the actions of anyone who vandalized property or did commit a criminal act.

How about insisting that all future G8 summits be held on isloated military bases, like Diego Garcia, Ascension Island, or similar places. The places are secure, and you don't need to spend a billion dollars for security like the Canadians did.

There is no reason why these summits need to disrupt life for millions of people and cost a fortune for some photo ops.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Arrow

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 12):
How about insisting that all future G8 summits be held on isloated military bases, like Diego Garcia, Ascension Island, or similar places. The places are secure, and you don't need to spend a billion dollars for security like the Canadians did.

There is lots of precedent for this, including in Canada. A G-8 some years ago was held in the Kananaskis, a Rocky Mountain recreational area in Alberta that was easy to seal off, easy to contain, and very inexpensive to hold secure. It had the additional benefits of being very remote (i.e. no audience for the blac bloc to pander to, nothing for them to destroy), and anyone attempting to rustle around in the woods for a crack at the security fence had the prospect of upsetting a grizzly sow with cubs. There would be no restraint there.

Harper's decision to do this in Toronto was stupid, and he was advised not to do it. Experiences in Seattle and elsewhere should have been enough to educate him, but I guess not. Having said that, the police have a lot to answer for. That's not to say they weren't provoked, they likely were. And I'm not giving a pass to the thugs who burned cars and broke windows. But you can't trash civil liberties for hundreds without any evidence they were doing anything.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Aesma

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm

These summits are a waste of time anyway, all the business is done before, between so called experts and diplomats.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

northstardc4m

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:30 pm

Just a correction:

The G8 was held at the Deerhurst Resort near Hunstville, about 200km north of Toronto... pretty isolated and no problems with protesters.

The G20 was held in Toronto...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

YYZflyer

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:55 am

Some serious investigation needs to be done on what happened over the weekend.

I do wonder if all the accusations in this video are true. I really hope not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcXhEd_mDt4&feature=player_embedded
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

ronglimeng

Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 16):
I do wonder if all the accusations in this video are true?

Gee, I'd prefer to think that most of them were not. Amy Miller doesn't seem very credible to me. I sense that she is minimising the partisan nature of her involvement, and exaggerating anything rough that the police did with demonstrators.
But maybe she should be required to give her evidence and be subject to cross-examination. It is too easy these days to get publicity by making serious charges like this and then not be formally called upon to substantiate them.

I'm still wondering what I would have done last Saturday if I was coming out of the Eaton Centre and came across these window-breaking, police car-burning idiots. I'd like to say I would try to stop them, but I can't be sure if my levels of courage and indignation would be up to it at that time.

As far as accidentally mixing in with a crowd of demonstrators who are challenging the police, common sense tells me that I would certainly get to hell out of there before real trouble started. It is just not honest to move along with a crowd of troublemakers and then claim you're not one of them.

YYZflyer

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Quoting ronglimeng (Reply 17):
Gee, I'd prefer to think that most of them were not. Amy Miller doesn't seem very credible to me.

mhmm. Another looking for her few minutes on camera.

Quoting ronglimeng (Reply 17):
I'm still wondering what I would have done last Saturday if I was coming out of the Eaton Centre

That is if you were able to get in to begin with.   Don't care if this is real or staged(don't know), it's still funny to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXIE2uOdnkQ&feature=player_embedded
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

ronglimeng

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:44 pm

I saw this item on the CTV news last night. At least one civilian accosted a looter and stopped a theft. I'd like to think that is what I would do as well. This guy is a hero to me! I hope there are lots more like him in Toronto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CKkLYYczdM