Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Elite
Topic Author

Rev. Jesse Jackson - LeBron James: "Runaway Slave"

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:03 am

NBA superstar LeBron James left the Cleveland Cavaliers and signed with the Miami Heat, and the Cavs owner Dan Gilbert was upset and released a letter that called James a traitor among other things.

While the response from Gilbert was immature, the notorious Jesse Jackson somehow feels that Gilbert felt as though James was a "runaway slave" and wants repercussions for this incident.

Gilbert's Letter:
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

Jackson's Comments:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5372266

BMI727

RE: Rev. Jesse Jackson - LeBron James: "Runaway Slave"

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:14 am

This would appear to be an exponential growth of idiocy.

And secondly, who in their right mind would get that bent out of shape about losing a white American player in free agency? Just look at this year's class: JJ Redick, Mike Miller, Kyle Korver, plus I think Jon Scheyer is still looking for work. They are all the same player.   
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

KPDX

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:15 am

I can't wait for the typical apologists on this website to side with Rev. Jackson.

He is such a disgrace... an embarassment.

Mudboy

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:21 am

That's right, because every reason for every thing, is based on race. It has nothing to do with, being scorned over losing your money maker, that kept fans in the seats, sold jerseys and concessions, kept your hopes alive for winning a championship, it has to do with race, right?
Enough of the slavery references, this is 2010.
Leave it to Jessie Jackson, to always keep racism alive and well!! So, I wonder what Big Als take on this is?      

These two clowns do nothing for society, but waste air.

BMI727

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:33 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 3):
So, I wonder what Big Als take on this is?

I'm sure he'll tell us as soon as he is finished gelling his hair.

fridgmus

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:52 am

All of you are absolutely correct!

Hey Gilbert, want some "whine" with that cheese!

It was real nice not hearing from the "World's Biggest Attention Whore" for a while!

Now I wonder what his Butt Buddy, Al will have to say??? Of course, as previously stated, we'll have to wait until after his hair appointment, but I think we all know the gist of it!!!

I wonder, is there anything these two clowns can speak of without playing the race card?

The world wonders.
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

fraspotter

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:11 am

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 5):
It was real nice not hearing from the "World's Biggest Attention Whore" for a while!

Oh but there are so many to chose from... I never have been and never will be a supporter of those two [insert expletive]s...
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

us330

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:59 am

Jesse doesn't realize that everytime he uses slavery as an analogy for situations that have no relation to slavery, he spits on the memories of those who suffered under slavery.

Add him to the list of people that need to be locked in a sealed, airtight room, and forgotten about. Olbermann, O'Reilly, and Beck, meet your new roommate!

Pyrex

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 2):
I can't wait for the typical apologists on this website to side with Rev. Jackson.

Believe me, I am very, very far away from being a Jesse Jackson apologist (in fact, I believe this is the first time ever that I side with him) but in this case he is 100% right. The draft system is nothing more than legalized slavery - having a little ball coming out of a sack determine where you will have to work in the next 7 years is tantamount to that. Given that this is an aeronautical site, can you imagine the same situation with pilots? You come out of flight school top of your class looking for a nice, cushy job flying 777s for AA and suddenly "oh, sorry, your name came up, you will need to fly drunken spring-breakers on a DTW-FLL route for Spirit for the next 7 years". How this cartel (NBA or any professional sports team in the U.S.) hasn't been broken up yet baffles me.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

us330

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
The draft system is nothing more than legalized slavery - having a little ball coming out of a sack determine where you will have to work in the next 7 years is tantamount to that

No it's not--players have other options. One, they don't have to play, period--nobody is forcing them to play basketball. Two, there are other leagues where they can go ply their trade if they don't like where they've been drafted--like Europe or Asia. Three, slaves weren't handsomely compensated for being able to pick up a ball and shoot it through a hoop--in fact, they weren't compensated at all. And if they didn't want to work, they were beaten or killed.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
How this cartel (NBA or any professional sports team in the U.S.) hasn't been broken up yet baffles me.

Now, cartels and trusts are a little bit different. There is certainly a case to be made that the NBA (like any other major sports league) shares some characteristics with cartels--but cartels and trusts shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as slavery.

Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
The draft system is nothing more than legalized slavery - having a little ball coming out of a sack determine where you will have to work in the next 7 years is tantamount to that.

No... players are not "slaves". They are given the opportunity to negotiate contracts, and they will earn millions and millions of dollars, be given a great lifestyle and play a sport that they love. In fact, comparing this to slavery is just downright stupid if not offensive.

Take NBA player Yi Jianlian for example, and this quote is from Wikipedia:

"After the draft, the Bucks attempted to convince Yi to sign with the team. On July 2, the owner of the Bucks franchise, Senator Herb Kohl, wrote a letter to Yi and his representatives, hoping to persuade Yi to sign with the Bucks."

Yi had to be convinced to join the Bucks, where he earned millions of dollars... legalized slavery? Really? And Ricky Rubio didn't like being picked by Minnesota as that meant he earned less, and returned to play in Spain.

The only argument I've heard consistently is that NBA players and other athletes are being grossly overpaid, with non-household players like Rashard Lewis cashing in over $100 million over a few years. To have modern day American / NBA athletes compared to slaves... stupid, damn stupid, and offensive to slaves currently around the world and those before.

JBirdAV8r

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 7):
Jesse doesn't realize that everytime he uses slavery as an analogy for situations that have no relation to slavery, he spits on the memories of those who suffered under slavery.

You know, I think maybe he does realize it. The thing about people who build their careers and businesses around eradicating something: if they ever actually accomplish their goal, their business is destroyed. He's got a personal interest in making sure his "cause" stays alive.

Personally, I think the man is a racist and a bigot of the lowest order.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

mdsh00

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
Believe me, I am very, very far away from being a Jesse Jackson apologist (in fact, I believe this is the first time ever that I side with him) but in this case he is 100% right. The draft system is nothing more than legalized slavery - having a little ball coming out of a sack determine where you will have to work in the next 7 years is tantamount to that.

Well too freaking bad. When I graduated medical school it was the same system. Interview for tons of Residency programs, and basically enter a match system where before the start of it, you agree to sign a contract with that program. In a 2 day period, where you HAVE to work and live for the next 3+ years of your life is decided and you have to just suck it up. It is NOT being a slave when you are agreeing to the conditions.

D L X

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:24 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 7):

I agree. It's just as bad as Glenn Beck referring to people he doesn't like as Nazis. What a stupid thing for him (Jackson) to say.

National757

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 13):
What a stupid thing for him (Jackson) to say.

I disagree. In order for Jackson to stay relevant, IMO he needs to play the race card as much as he can.... perfectly logical from his perspective.

futurepilot16

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:40 pm

The problem here is that Jesse is the one that sees LeBron as a slave, not Dan Gilbert himself. As a matter of fact, Dan Gilbert has all right to sue that idiot for slander for referring to him as a Slave Owner. How profoundly rude and disrespectful is that? And how shameful is it for Jackson to refer to all the Black players on the cavaliers, some of whom have ancestors who were slaves, as slaves? I have to wonder, aren't these guys intelligent? Why in the world would you make a comment like that. The problem here is guys like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are pretty much racist, and they do more to damage black an white relations in this country than the KKK does.

Furthermore Jackson, a SLAVE, really? Are you insane? This man was the king of Cleveland. If he wanted akey to the city at any time in the last 7 years, he could get it, and still sleep in governor's mansion. The guy became arguable the best basketball player in the world, in a city where they worshiped him as a good, and you see him as a slave? SMH    And to think this guy still makes regular appearances on the news as a reasonable guest.  
Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
The draft system is nothing more than legalized slavery - having a little ball coming out of a sack determine where you will have to work in the next 7 years is tantamount to that

Yea right. Legalized slavery where you not only get a contract, and a Nike shoe deal, but you get famous all while living better than 97% of all Americans. Oh yea...I'm crying a friggin river for these "slave-like" athletes. 
Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
How this cartel (NBA or any professional sports team in the U.S.) hasn't been broken up yet baffles me.

The fact that you have this opinion baffles me.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

falstaff

Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:35 pm

Quoting Elite (Thread starter):
Cavs owner Dan Gilbert was upset and released a letter that called James a traitor among other things.

Dan Gilbert is a turd. He made his money making crooked mortages in Detroit. He had a radio show where he and is partner would praise the aspects of no interest loans, 45 year loans, and ARMs. He helped over value the Detroit market and left a lot of developers holding the bag when the crooked mortgages he sold left new housing developments empty. After the crash the his firm changed names started selling products to help people get out of the "fantastic deals" that he made.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
You come out of flight school top of your class looking for a nice, cushy job flying 777s for AA and suddenly "oh, sorry, your name came up, you will need to fly drunken spring-breakers on a DTW-FLL route for Spirit for the next 7 years". How this cartel (NBA or any professional sports team in the U.S.) hasn't been broken up yet baffles me.

Flying doesn't work like either example. In reality the begining pilot out of flight school starts out making peanuts flying a CRJ and flying that DC-9 DTW-FLL is a big step up.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 11):
You know, I think maybe he does realize it. The thing about people who build their careers and businesses around eradicating something: if they ever actually accomplish their goal, their business is destroyed. He's got a personal interest in making sure his "cause" stays alive.

I've been saying that about Jesse and Al for a LOOOOONG time. Jesse and Al both know that if they claim what they're working is achieved, people will have no use for them anymore.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
I believe this is the first time ever that I side with him) but in this case he is 100% right. The draft system is nothing more than legalized slavery

How? Players volunteer for the draft. They know that going in. If they don't like that, they can go find another career. The point is to allow teams that are bad in the previous season to be given a chance to build themselves up. Otherwise every person is going to go to LA. And LeBron James earned nearly $13 million for his first three seasons in salary alone (then throw in his endorsements). WAAAHHH!!!! I feel so bad for them!       Would someone sign me up for this "slavery"?

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
You come out of flight school top of your class looking for a nice, cushy job flying 777s for AA and suddenly "oh, sorry, your name came up, you will need to fly drunken spring-breakers on a DTW-FLL route for Spirit for the next 7 years"

You mind giving us a few examples when a brand new pilot right out of flight school went straight to AA 777s?
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

seb146

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:38 pm

I am so sick of the whole LeBron James thing. Who cares? Cleveland will now win the championship because LeBron is gone. One person does not make a team. Look at the Blazers in the 1990s. Even though they lost two finals, they still were loved across the board in Oregon. Every last player: Drexler, Duckworth, Ainge, Porter, Robinson.... All very good players. Not just one who made himself stand out and a bunch of other guys. LeBron made himself that way. As far as Jesse Jackson: His comments were once relevant. Back when social equality was really needed. But, now, it seems, social equality is here so to keep hammering away at it is just making people sound silly. If he really were so concerned with modern day slavery, why doesn't he do the right thing and rail against programs that force people to work 3 or 4 jobs just to survive? Why doesn't he preach to the men out there still donating their seed and not taking care of their fruits? If he really wants to be relevant, talk to the people who can really benefit not some poor spoiled rich man who is mid-way through his career.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

falstaff

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 18):
One person does not make a team

Exaclty... Lebron couldn't play there forever anyway. Even if he stayed in Cleveland he would have to retire eventually.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

soon7x7

Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 3):
I wonder what Big Als take on this is?

Please, do you have to ask?...The slave, cracka, black thing has really gotten old...isn't Al Qaeda and the Talibon enough?...isn't dealing with our own incompetent government enough?...Waaaaaaaaaaa...Ricky!

BMI727

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
The draft system is nothing more than legalized slavery - having a little ball coming out of a sack determine where you will have to work in the next 7 years is tantamount to that.

It is a fair system to distribute talent in the league. Would you rather have a contract system like the NFL where rookies get paid huge amounts of money even though they may flame out completely? Nobody is forcing the players to play in the NBA, they are free to go to Europe if they wish. In fact, the NFL is currently in the last year of their collective bargaining agreement. While negotiations are ongoing, many people have speculated that the one thing the players are likely to give up is the addition of a rookie salary cap.

And furthermore, these guys get huge endorsement deals, often before they are ever drafted so their primary income may not be from the team.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
You come out of flight school top of your class looking for a nice, cushy job flying 777s for AA and suddenly "oh, sorry, your name came up, you will need to fly drunken spring-breakers on a DTW-FLL route for Spirit for the next 7 years".

That is a flawed analogy for at least two reasons. First, there isn't a wide gulf ability from one pilot to the next. They have the same licenses and skills for the most part. Secondly, getting a "better" pilot isn't going to drastically change the course of an airline the way getting a top draft pick alters the course of a team.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):

The did break it up. Earlier this year there was a ruling in a case between American Needle (a merchandise manufacturer) and the NFL. The ruling stated that American Needle could negotiate with each franchise individually rather than the league as a whole. Theoretically, had the court ruled the other way, it could have spelled the end of free agency. But as it is, players make contracts with teams, not the league.

Furthermore, the collective bargaining agreements ensure a fair playing field for all franchises. Imagine that McDonald's workers were unionized and each franchise had to make their own arrangements with the union. It would be a mess.

Quoting Elite (Reply 10):
Yi had to be convinced to join the Bucks, where he earned millions of dollars... legalized slavery? Really?

I think in cases like that the Chinese government is involved somehow too.

Cleveland will now win the championship because LeBron is gone.

I hope you're not serious. Sure Delonte West is going to have more time to concentrate on basketball now, but that isn't going to cover the gap.

they still were loved across the board in Oregon.

Can't imagine why, since any season that doesn't end with a championship is a failure. And your argument falls a bit flat considering that the second time they lost was against a team with Michael Jordan on it. The fact is that the NBA is a superstar's league more than any other.

[Edited 2010-07-12 13:16:16]

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:25 pm

When he plays his next game, I can hear Lebron James singing now - "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen. Nobody knows but Jesus". (Reference to Spaceballs there)
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

seb146

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:11 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 21):
Can't imagine why, since any season that doesn't end with a championship is a failure. And your argument falls a bit flat considering that the second time they lost was against a team with Michael Jordan on it

And the fans knew that the Blazers were simply out-played. No bitter feelings toward the Blazers. Just the feeling of "Hey, you guys did the best you could and got to the Finals." That's how Blazers fans are. They were in the playoffs last year and, even though they lost, people were still happy they made it to the post season.

I hope you're not serious. Sure Delonte West is going to have more time to concentrate on basketball now, but that isn't going to cover the gap.

No. As I said before: one person does not make a tean. Delonte West will have to step up, but so will everyone else on the team. I think they can. I follow the Blazers and hope they do well, but the next two or three seasons, I will be following the Cavs very closely.

DocLightning

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
The draft system is nothing more than legalized slavery

By that argument, so is an airline seniority system, or the National Residency Match Program for medical residents.

Let's talk about slavery. In slavery, you are:
1) Not paid
2) Not given a choice as to whether you work or what job you will do
3) The property of another person'
4) Not the owner of your own body or health
5) Expendible (i.e. if you get sick and your owner wants to euthanize you, you die).

In the pro sports drafts you are:
1) Paid handsomely
2) Not forced to be there (if you don't want to be, there's a long line of willing applicants behind you)
3) Your own property
4) Free to go home to your family at the end of the day.
5) Endowed with all the rights of any other citizen.

And so while the draft may not be a competitive interview process, it is hardly "slavery."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ATCtower

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:44 am

When will the moronic idiot learn he is fueling the racial tension?

Slavery is dead. Slavery has been dead for a long time. Simply bringing it up in the context of a star athlete idolized by millions of basketball fans to further his racist agenda is absurd.

I only listen to what the fool has to say for moments of shear amusement and laughter.

The world will be a far better place once he and good ole Al are gone. I don't hate black people, but these two fools will swear I do in the name of some stupid religion and agenda. Whoever ordained these two must have been sipping a bit too much at the pulpit beforehand.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

BMI727

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:25 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 23):
Delonte West will have to step up, but so will everyone else on the team.

...but they won't because they aren't very good at basketball. LeBron on the other hand...

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):
And so while the draft may not be a competitive interview process

It absolutely is a competitive interview process. These guys go and work out for teams before the draft. The NFL has their scouting combine plus individual workouts, tests, and interviews. Players in all sports put a lot of effort into performing well in such events because their draft position directly affects how much they get paid.

ltbewr

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:08 am

The Rev. is ticked off because LeBron didn't choose Chicago over Miami   

Sure the Cavs owner is angry, he hoped he could have keep his most money making player with the team, in his home area. He should have just said that he was unhappy with the decision of Mr. James and just leave it at that.

Pyrex

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:19 am

and they will earn millions and millions of dollars, be given a great lifestyle and play a sport that they love.

Yeah... in Cleveland...

NBA players and other athletes are being grossly overpaid,

Oh, so you think they should not be allowed to be paid for the value they bring to the teams? Team owners should make all the money? According to the argument put forth so many times here ("he doesn't need to be there, he could be bagging groceries at Wal-Mart if he wanted") if you think they are paid too much then don't bloody pay to watch them.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 17):
The point is to allow teams that are bad in the previous season to be given a chance to build themselves up.

So basically punish success? How much more unamerican can you get?

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 17):
You mind giving us a few examples when a brand new pilot right out of flight school went straight to AA 777s?

That is not the point. Even if that AA 777 job is not there (and the fault on that is the unions - don't get me started on those) the fact is that he has a choice. Forcing someone to take up a job at a given employer if he wants to pursue a given career is nothing more than morally wrong.

Secondly, getting a "better" pilot isn't going to drastically change the course of an airline the way getting a top draft pick alters the course of a team.

So the lesson here is make sure you suck hard enough so you can be number one in line to suck some poor kid out of his youth?

seb146

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:20 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 26):
Quoting seb146 (Reply 23):
Delonte West will have to step up, but so will everyone else on the team.

...but they won't because they aren't very good at basketball. LeBron on the other hand...

That is such a load. When the only person a team markets is sick or injured, what happens? Other guys have to step up. Guess what? They win games! The Blazers front office pinned all their hopes and dreams on Greg Oden. He was out most of the time. So, the other guys, Aldridge, Roy, Fernandez, Przybilla all stepped up and played. I have no doubt in my mind the Cavs could choose to do that. They should choose to say "Well, the princess is gone, now the rest of us can play."

Side note: The Blazers are the only NBA team I ever followed. They are the only team I know anything about in-depth.

WarRI1

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:28 am

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 25):
When will the moronic idiot learn he is fueling the racial tension?

Slavery is dead. Slavery has been dead for a long time. Simply bringing it up in the context of a star athlete idolized by millions of basketball fans to further his racist agenda is absurd.

I only listen to what the fool has to say for moments of shear amusement and laughter.

The world will be a far better place once he and good ole Al are gone. I don't hate black people, but these two fools will swear I do in the name of some stupid religion and agenda. Whoever ordained these two must have been sipping a bit too much at the pulpit beforehand.

My $.02

Mine also, and that is about the value of anything the two so called Preachers have to say. They may qualify as Preachers, unfortunately, they preach hatred, and distort the issues everytime.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

NIKV69

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:38 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 13):

I agree. It's just as bad as Glenn Beck referring to people he doesn't like as Nazis. What a stupid thing for him (Jackson) to say

I hope your not condoning Pelosi since she does the same thing are you?
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

stratosphere

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:22 am

If he really were so concerned with modern day slavery, why doesn't he do the right thing and rail against programs that force people to work 3 or 4 jobs just to survive?

Thats exactly right because he could care less about the plight of the blacks. My mom had a perfect name for him she calls him and Al Sharpton "poverty pimps" and thats exactly what they are they make their living off the backs of exploited blacks and businesses especially white owned ones. I remember how old Jesse tried to exploit NASCAR because the lack of black race car drivers. He is a total loser he exploits his own people that he supposedly is trying to help too bad James Earl Ray didn't have an extra bullet with his name on it.

Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:50 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 28):
Yeah... in Cleveland...

Does it really matter if they are in Cleveland? Hundreds of millions of dollars from Nike sponsorships on top of their great salary, and if you don't like Cleveland, do what LeBron did - move to another team, go to Miami and enjoy the lifestyle there. Plus, the NBA players have plenty of off time and money to go vacation in NYC and LA and whatnot.

Oh, so you think they should not be allowed to be paid for the value they bring to the teams? Team owners should make all the money?

You amaze me, firstly, you misquoted me - that was not what I said, that was what I said was a common argument, and its true. Secondly, many random scrubs are being given large contracts and this is causing a lot of problems for the NBA, including a possible lockout in the 2011 season. It's been reported on ESPN countless times and this issue is one they are trying to fix at the moment.

BMI727

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:43 am

Yeah... in Cleveland..

Well, that is one selling point of South Beach: model quality ass. Sure there is usually a nice selection of boobies on display at a summer Cubs game, but it is nothing compared to Miami. Then there is Cleveland...

Forcing someone to take up a job at a given employer if he wants to pursue a given career is nothing more than morally wrong.

Basketball players aren't either. They can go make money in Europe playing basketball if they want. In fact, considering the setup of the NBA CBA, salary cap, and max deals, players might even be able to make more money in Europe.

So basically punish success? How much more unamerican can you get?

A draft system where the lesser teams get higher picks is not punishing success. How should players enter the league? Just auction them off to the highest bidder? How does that help competition, when you will have teams with more resources. Such a scheme may actually work well in conjunction with the salary cap (I'd love to see the Bulls have been able to go out and sign Evan Turner as a consolation prize), but it won't happen.

Furthermore, the draft make the league set up in such a way that a well run team can turn around rather quickly and not necessarily by having to spend large amounts of money, helping to level the playing field for smaller market teams. I expect that Oklahoma City will become a pretty good team in the tough Western Conference because they made smart moves and smart draft picks.

So the lesson here is make sure you suck hard enough so you can be number one in line to suck some poor kid out of his youth?

Honestly, there is something to be said for that. You can find a potentially great player to build around for the future in the top part of the draft. That isn't to say that you don't need to make smart moves to get a build a quality team around your new star, but it is a good place to start. Of course even that isn't a guarantee.

Look at the Chicago Bulls. A couple years ago they hit the jackpot and got Derrick Rose, plus now Joakim Noah has stopped being such a screwup and made himself into a quality big man. Go add Carlos Boozer and a sharpshooting white boy or two and you have a pretty good team. Now here is the problem: there are two and probably three teams in the conference that are clearly better than that pretty good Chicago team. They will make the playoffs safely in what is still a subpar Eastern conference, but they aren't good enough to seriously contend. That in combination with no more free agent bonanzas for the foreseeable future but not sucking badly enough to get another superstar in the draft. This is NBA hell.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 29):
I have no doubt in my mind the Cavs could choose to do that. They should choose to say "Well, the princess is gone, now the rest of us can play."

You can't really think that the Cavs will be just as good without LeBron as they were with him? The reason the Cavs aren't going to be good without LeBron is the same reason that they couldn't win a title with him: the rest of them weren't that good. And losing LeBron, however much of a diva he may be, is not going to magically make them better.

Mudboy

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:21 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
The draft system is nothing more than legalized slavery

Dude, are you serious? The draft is set up so the worst teams get the chance to sign the best players, and they can either play with the team that is offering them millions, or sit out and go elsewhere. Yes, if I was the the #1 pick in the draft, it would suck to play for the worst team in the league, but I get millions for it, and if completed my contract, I could walk just like he did.
I am sure there are many pro athletes that want to play for the Lakers, Heat , Yankees, Cowboys, Patriots, Giants, etc. but they do their time with the club they get drafted or traded to, and when all is said and done, there is free agency.
I am pretty sure the Colts were not Peyton Manning's first choice, but look what he has done there.
I have a hard time thinking of any pro athlete as a slave, when they are paid millions, even thousands, to play a game they grew up playing as a kid.
Jessie is an attention whore, who's only talent is throwing out the race card, when it suits him.

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 20):
Please, do you have to ask?...The slave, cracka, black thing has really gotten old...isn't Al Qaeda and the Talibon enough?...isn't dealing with our own incompetent government enough?...Waaaaaaaaaaa...Ricky!

Bra, Sarcasm 101

BMI727

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:28 am

suck some poor kid out of his youth?

First of all, these poor kids have been dreaming about playing the NBA since they were young and worked incredibly hard to get there. I would hardly call that sucking them out of their youth.

Beyond that I think that the one and done rule so stupid that if I didn't know better I'd think that Bud Selig made that one up. What is the point in forcing these guys to pretend that they want to be accountants when all they want to do is play basketball? All that one year out of high school is is one year that these guys aren't living their dreams.

At the very least they should have colleges set up a specialized academic program for these players to help prepare them for life as a professional athlete. Give them some basic classes in accounting and finance, media, and maybe some personal law.

KPDX

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:35 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
The draft system is nothing more than legalized slavery - having a little ball coming out of a sack determine where you will have to work in the next 7 years is tantamount to that. Given that this is an aeronautical site, can you imagine the same situation with pilots? You come out of flight school top of your class looking for a nice, cushy job flying 777s for AA and suddenly "oh, sorry, your name came up, you will need to fly drunken spring-breakers on a DTW-FLL route for Spirit for the next 7 years". How this cartel (NBA or any professional sports team in the U.S.) hasn't been broken up yet baffles me.

Well, here's my take. If being a slave includes being a near billionare, and living the high life... SIGN ME UP!   

soon7x7

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 32):
Al Sharpton "poverty pimps" and thats exactly what they are

Al Sharpton was once a guest on the Howard Stern show, as much as I can't stand what he represents, during the show he was a likable guy, had a great sense of humor but self admittedly claimed to be an activist, "looking for trouble is my job"...that my friends should be a blatant insult to authentic Reverands everywhere. We know why the "R" term exists...103c5?(Tax Free). So he is also a tax cheat...

DocLightning

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Slavery is dead. Slavery has been dead for a long time.

No it's not. It's alive and well as an underground trade of young (mostly) women out of the third world who work as house servants or sex workers. Many of them are lured into slavery with promises of education and pay and find themselves prisoners. It happens in this country, it happens in Europe, and it happens in Third-World countries.

Unlike the Slave Trade of old, modern slaves are of low monetary value (a slave in 1820 might have run you $1,000... THEN, which is like $50,000 now), and so they are treated worse than their African counterparts of old.

However, the Slavery of the type that Mr. Jackson would like to recall is long dead and gone never to return. And he needs to get off that horse. It's like Jews harping on the Holocaust. It's over. It should never happen again. Mr. James is not a slave. Period.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

EA772LR

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:46 pm

I call people like Jesse Jackson and company the Civil Rights Pimps. They profit from keeping the races at odds. To these so called pimps, they couldn't possibly imagine a scenario happening that they disagree with having NOTHING to do with race at all!! Jackson makes me sick. BTW, is he still paying hush money to that girl he knocked up?  
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 39):
No it's not. It's alive and well as an underground trade of young (mostly) women out of the third world who work as house servants or sex workers. Many of them are lured into slavery with promises of education and pay and find themselves prisoners. It happens in this country, it happens in Europe, and it happens in Third-World countries.

Unlike the Slave Trade of old, modern slaves are of low monetary value (a slave in 1820 might have run you $1,000... THEN, which is like $50,000 now), and so they are treated worse than their African counterparts of old.

However, the Slavery of the type that Mr. Jackson would like to recall is long dead and gone never to return. And he needs to get off that horse. It's like Jews harping on the Holocaust. It's over. It should never happen again. Mr. James is not a slave. Period.

Great post Doc.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

DocLightning

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Slavery is dead. Slavery has been dead for a long time.

-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

slider

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Quoting Elite (Thread starter):
the notorious Jesse Jackson somehow feels that Gilbert felt as though James was a "runaway slave" and wants repercussions for this incident

The "Reverend" Je$$e Jack$on = runaway idiot.

WarRI1

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:38 am

[quote=DocLightning,reply=41] Mr. James is not a slave. Period.

If he is, he is the best paid slave in history while playing a game with a ball for few months a year. Most certainly the definition of slave has been redefined by Jesse.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Pyrex

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:48 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 37):
Well, here's my take. If being a slave includes being a near billionare, and living the high life... SIGN ME UP!   

So he gets paid more than you so he should get to put up with whatever demands are made of him by a cartel? Class envy indeed.

Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:53 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 44):

So he gets paid more than you so he should get to put up with whatever demands are made of him by a cartel? Class envy indeed.

What demands exactly? He needs to play basketball and earns $20 million dollars every year. People would die to be LeBron James. The man can do whatever he wants. Announcing his decision regarding which team to play resulted in a 1 hour special on ESPN. He parties with Jay Z, he's considered (or was considered) to be one of the best players ever, and NBA players have much more power than the "cartel" you speak of.

ATCtower

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:02 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 39):

First, it is not Mr. James to me. It is an overpaid whining punk who couldn't hold his own and pimped himself out to the highest bidder. Would I do the same? Who knows, but to me respect has a lot to do with loyalty and he obviously has little. While I must admit to being one of the greatest Ray Borque fans alive, and he did the same, it is not honorable to ditch your roots to obtain that which you could not obtain on your own.

Second, this debate is about james, not the sex slave trade in which I do not partake (though good ole jesse and al will claim I do just to make me a "good ole God fearing white trash redneck Klansman" they want me to be). We can all agree sex slavery is wrong and has no place in this debate. Slavery in the context I quoted was in regards to blacks, which is DEAD, and will always be so, thankfully. Though, given the opportunity I think the educated white community could agree al and jesse would enslave us all to further their agenda.

Quoting EA772LR (Reply 40):
Great post Doc.

Um, why? It had little bearing on the debate we are having.

Are you dense? It was his choice. This is no different from claiming a pilot has an argument against puddle hopping instead of 3 monthly trips across the Pacific. James chose his path, and should abide by the consequences of it.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

BMI727

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:18 am

So he gets paid more than you so he should get to put up with whatever demands are made of him by a cartel?

It isn't a cartel. He has alternatives and he can leave if he wants. The players play under rules negotiated under a collective bargaining agreement. You can't honestly compare the situation of an NBA player to someone in a sweatshop.

Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:21 am

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 46):
First, it is not Mr. James to me. It is an overpaid whining punk who couldn't hold his own and pimped himself out to the highest bidder.

LeBron left $30 million on the table when he left Cleveland, but he did it so he could play with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh and perhaps win multiple titles.

stratosphere

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:56 am

It's amazing 20 million dollars to someone who most likely would be robbing gas stations if he could not bounce a ball down the court...Only in America.