Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

desertjets
Topic Author

Most Boring Road/highway

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:33 pm

I've done a few long distance drives in recent years and some stretches of highway are pretty god awful. but I am looking for the most boring stretch of road you can imagine.

I nominate Interstate 55 between Chicago and St. Louis for this honor for a few reasons. First for many strecthes you could take your hands off of the steering wheel and not have to make an adjust for miles.... the road is literally arrow straight for many many miles at a time. Second you see nothing more than corn and soybean fields for most of the entire run between Chicago and St. Louis. This is exacerbated by the fact I-55 bypasses the two major cities it goes by (Bloomington-Normal and Springfield) at a far distance. So you don't know that you are passing any sort of town save for the few houses you can see off in the distance.

Honorable mention: I-95 from Petersburg, VA to Jacksonville, FL.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

iflykpdx

RE: Most Boring Road/highway

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:45 pm

Really any stretch of road in ND.
Airport Management - UND

Fly2HMO

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:53 pm

I-10 between TUS and SAT. Absolutely disgustingly boring. The only highlights, if you can call them that, is driving through ELP and Las Cruces. At least traffic there is almost non-existent and cops almost never to be found so it's great for stealth speeding. Also once you get into Texas the speed limit turns into a much more reasonable 85MPH, and some stretches of the highway, once you get into TX at least, seem as good as the autobahn.

I-10 between TUS and PHX. Nothing but straight line, driving through nothing but flat farmland and the occasional hill, and overrun by not so fantastic AZ drivers.

I-40 between FLG and Barstow. No signs of civilization other than towns like Kingman AZ and Needles, CA which are nothing but glorified truck stops. At least IGM has an In-N-Out.

TheSonntag

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:59 pm

I guess the US have much more to offer due to pure distance, but I can offer you the A-7 motorway from Milano to Genova.

It is both the most boring and most exciting motorway I have ever driven on. The first 100km are incredibly boring, as there is nothing there, just straight road ahead. Once you reach the appenin mountains, it gets interesting. The road has incredible dangerous curves and tunnels, and you get overtaken by Italian truck drivers. What a thrilling experience.

kstateinALB

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:00 pm

I'd say I-70 through the state of Kansas. The two hour drive from KC to Manhattan is enlightened by an eight minute drive through Topeka, and then Lawrence. Being from K-State, any drive through Lawrence is the complete opposite of a highlight...
ALB, DTW, ORD, MDW, MCI, JFK, LGA, LHR, MAD, MSP, IAD, DCA, MCO, ATL, CVG, TUL, MHK, PHL, PIT, DFW, DAL, CLT, IND, AUS,

StuckInCA

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:03 pm

I5 between the Grapevine and Sacramento. Or Redding, really.

Awful.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 5):

Which reminds me, CA HWY 99 from Bakersfield to SMF is pretty nasty as well. It wreaks of cow shit the whole way up.   

mayor

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:09 pm

I would say I-80 from the Wyoming/Nebraska line, well into Illinois........nothing but flat, flat and more flat, except for a small portion in Iowa as you approach the Mississippi. Gets a little hilly there, but quickly flattens out, again, once you cross the river.

I-15 from LAS to at least Barstow is very, very boring.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

AA757MIA

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:09 pm

I-70 between Topeka and Denver.

Superfly

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Thread starter):
I nominate Interstate 55 between Chicago and St. Louis

I remember being excited about riding that stretch because we weren't going to Indianapolis on I-65.
In summer of 1983, we drove down to Saint Louis on a family trip. I was only 10 at the time but was already sick of the boring trips to Indianapolis to see my mother's side of the family.

BTW, we did get lost in East Saint Louis and our experience was very similar to the Grizwalds.  

I've done that drive many times and it's more exciting than I-55 between Chicago and Saint Louis.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 2):
I-40 between FLG and Barstow. No signs of civilization other than towns like Kingman AZ and Needles, CA which are nothing but glorified truck stops

That is a beautiful drive. I'd love to do it again some day.

Quoting kstateinALB (Reply 4):
I'd say I-70 through the state of Kansas.

I've never done that stretch but it looks boring on the map.
Bring back the Concorde

sw733

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:14 pm

I nominate Interstate 55 between Chicago and St. Louis

Good call! I despise that stretch...

I-70 through the state of Kansas.

Agreed. And anything west of Salina is just a pancake.

any drive through Lawrence is the complete opposite of a highlight...

Hey, those of us with an IQ above 88 feel the same way about Manhattan     

Cadet57

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:15 pm

I-495 from the I-90 interchange to Cape Cod is so freakin boring. Forest on either side and in the median, every so often an office park or suburb, other than that nothing.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

falstaff

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:16 pm

I'd say I-70 through the state of Kansas

That was what I was going to say as my first choice

I5 between the Grapevine and Sacramento

and my second choice.

You guys beat me to it.

I would have to say the 401 from Toronto to Montreal is kind of dull. Windsor to Toronto isn't that great either.

I nominate Interstate 55 between Chicago and St. Louis for this honor
Quoting iflykpdx (Reply 1):
Really any stretch of road in ND.

I drive to St. Louis from time to time from Detroit and I go through Indiana to avoid the even more boring trip down I-55 from Chicago.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

flybaurlax

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:18 pm

I-40 between FLG and Barstow. No signs of civilization other than towns like Kingman AZ and Needles, CA which are nothing but glorified truck stops. At least IGM has an In-N-Out.

But you at least have mountains to look at. Sure, it's the desert, but it's still got a sense of beauty to it, and the sky is almost always beautiful, too.

I'd say I-70 through the state of Kansas.

I'd say this takes the cake.

On a good day you can see the mountains on either side of of the valley, so I'd say it's not so bad. Sure the actual drive is really boring because it's totally straight, but driving through the middle of the night really isn't that bad.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

MingToo

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:31 pm

If you are looking further afield than the US, try this one across about 1000 miles of nothingness in Australia ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyre_Highway

The most exciting (in a certain sense) is in this BBC Top Gear car show episode (skip the first minute of chat from the presenters)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLxszv9eCM

ALTF4

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:31 pm

I-20 east from ATL to South Carolina.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

UltimateDelta

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:35 pm

I-29 from Council Bluffs, IA north to the Canadian border (then again, since a third of that is in ND, I guess that qualifies it according to iflykpdx's criteria   )
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):
I-495 from the I-90 interchange to Cape Cod is so freakin boring. Forest on either side and in the median, every so often an office park or suburb, other than that nothing.

Add MA-24 between I-93 and I-495 to that as well.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DeltaMD90

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 pm

GA-400 only because the exits are about 2 miles apart but your mind keeps thinking they shoud be 1, so it drags on and on and on and on

falstaff

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Quoting MingToo (Reply 15):
If you are looking further afield than the US, try this one across about 1000 miles of nothingness in Australia ...

That probably makes Kansas look like fun.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

DiamondFlyer

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 10):
Hey, those of us with an IQ above 88 feel the same way about Manhattan

Darn, I wanted to be the first one to get the shot at KSU in this one.

But yeah, I-70 is boring once you get west of Topeka. I-64 east out of St. Louis isn't much better either.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

GQfluffy

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 7):
I-15 from LAS to at least Barstow is very, very boring.

Not really considering further north on 15 between St. George and Provo there is absolutely nothing. At least between Vegas and Barstow there are mountains to drive over, not to mention you're constantly keeping an eye on your gauges...
This isn't where I parked my car...

sw733

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:48 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 21):
Darn, I wanted to be the first one to get the shot at KSU in this one.

Good luck - over my dead body!  
Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 21):
But yeah, I-70 is boring once you get west of Topeka

I would say it's fine even to Manhattan or a bit past...it's fairly hilly for Kansas and can be quite beautiful on a nice day.

KINDFlyer

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:56 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
I remember being excited about riding that stretch because we weren't going to Indianapolis on I-65.
In summer of 1983, we drove down to Saint Louis on a family trip. I was only 10 at the time but was already sick of the boring trips to Indianapolis to see my mother's side of the family.

Hopefully you weren't forced to continue that drive through the southern half of the state to Louisville which would effectively double your boredom. As another mindnumbing alternative to the I65 slog through Indiana, I'd nominate I69 from Indy into Michigan. Almost nothing but farm fields for miles and miles on either side of the highway.
This isn't flying. This is falling.....with style.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Quoting flybaurlax (Reply 14):

But you at least have mountains to look at. Sure, it's the desert, but it's still got a sense of beauty to it, and the sky is almost always beautiful, too.

Well after 20+ years of living in the desert it does get old pretty quick. Been there, done that.

srbmod

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:10 pm

I'd say I-70 through the state of Kansas. The two hour drive from KC to Manhattan is enlightened by an eight minute drive through Topeka, and then Lawrence. Being from K-State, any drive through Lawrence is the complete opposite of a highlight...

I remember taking I-70 going east on that stretch about 20 years ago and that was a boring stretch of road.

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 16):
I-20 east from ATL to South Carolina.

I think I-16 for the bulk of its' length is more boring than I-20.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 19):
GA-400 only because the exits are about 2 miles apart but your mind keeps thinking they shoud be 1, so it drags on and on and on and on

GA 400 isn't that bad, although the stretch from Dawsonville to where it ends outside of Dahlonega is a bit boring.

DeltaMD90

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:37 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 25):
GA 400 isn't that bad, although the stretch from Dawsonville to where it ends outside of Dahlonega is a bit boring.

I think part of it is driving up that road means I get further away from the freedom of my home and back to college  

I don't travel too much so I don't have much to offer this thread, but to me, that dreaded road is my most hated!!

IMissPiedmont

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 pm

I-10 between TUS and SAT

That doesn't even make my top 20 list. The worst road in history is Highway 99 in California. I-95 an any part is bad, the Florida Turnpike is bad, I-8 is terrible. I do avoid interstates whenever possible.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

ajd1992

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:55 pm

I-10 from Phoenix down to Tucson is pretty boring. Desert, followed by desert. The only slightly less boring thing is the rest stops.

Any Interstate in Arizona is just desert bound, from what I've seen.

desertjets
Topic Author

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:03 pm

I-10 between TUS and SAT.

I think I-10 between Tucson and Deming, NM is reasonably scenic. Though I-10 east out of El Paso is pretty much nothingness until you hit the Hill Country west of San Antonio.

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 28):
I-10 from Phoenix down to Tucson is pretty boring.

I did that drive a lot in college going between the UofA and my parent's house in Phoenix. I'm not sure it ranks up there with I-55 or plains state boring, it is more of a tedious drive. People are either driving 85+ mph or 65-70 mph and nothing in between. Not to mention the general ass-hattery of AZ drivers.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

flybaurlax

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:37 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 24):
Well after 20+ years of living in the desert it does get old pretty quick. Been there, done that.

That's how I feel about Indiana, but I've only been here a few years, hopefully will be out in less than a year.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

Sabena332

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 pm

The A31 beween the Ruhr-Area and Holland is actually friggin' boring but a few friends and me invented a way to have a bit fun there. When we drove to Holland frequently many years back, we always took the cars of our parents and tried to reach the cars' top-speed on the way to Holland. For the way back, we took already care while still being in Holland... we simply smoked us the way back a bit funny.   

I miss these Trips to Holland but it is impossible nowadays. When you enter Germany and the cops find out - via these drug tests - that you have smoked, you can kiss your drivers license away on the spot!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

TheSonntag

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:59 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 31):
The A31 beween the Ruhr-Area and Holland is actually friggin' boring but a few friends and me invented a way to have a bit fun there. When we drove to Holland frequently many years back, we always took the cars of our parents and tried to reach the cars' top-speed on the way to Holland.

Yeah, probably the only Autobahn (except the A-92 maybe) where you can drive flat out for more than 10 minutes.

Springbok747

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:09 pm

The Stuart Highway between Darwin and Port Augusta in Australia...2,834 kilometers (1,761 mi) of nothingness.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/Springbok747/28.jpg?t=1279573691
אני תומך בישראל

KPHXFlyer

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:15 pm

I-10 between TUS and PHX. Nothing but straight line, driving through nothing but flat farmland and the occasional hill, and overrun by not so fantastic AZ drivers.

Compared to I-10 between PHX & Palm Springs, it's a relative oasis of interest...

US-93 from IGM north to Hoover Dam is pretty boring.

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 28):
Any Interstate in Arizona is just desert bound, from what I've seen.

With the exception of NE Arizona where I-40 goes through Coconino National Forest, you'd be right.

On top of all that, I'd say I-8 between Yuma and Tucson is pretty well the most boring freeway (at least in Arizona)

[Edited 2010-07-19 15:16:47]

RottenRay

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:19 pm

I'm the sort who likes to stop and stretch the legs frequently, maybe take a few pictures or water a bush. I hate it when all the pictures look the same and there are no bushes to water!

These are the ones which bore me to tears:

I-10, from Phoenix, AZ to about Indio, CA.
The west end of Phoenix is not eye candy, Blythe slips by in a blink, and it's just boring repetitive terrain until you get into the wind farms.

(If you need to get from Phoenix, AZ to Southern California, enjoy driving, don't mind 2-way traffic, don't mind driving in Mexico, it's much more entertaining to take I-8 to Gila Bend, I-85 to Sonoita, MX, and cut west there. You'll end up popping through the border in Tijuana, and it's a full day's drive, but very scenic and distinct from Arizona desert. The great "sand sea" between Cero Prieto and San Luis is breathtaking and the road is actually pretty good.)

US93 from Kingman, AZ to Boulder Dam.
This is part of the shortcut to Las Vegas from Phoenix. While SR60/US93 from Wickenburg to I-40 is turns into quite the twisty, dangerous, exciting drive in parts, the stretch of US93 from Kingman to the dam is just blah. There is nothing noteworthy and very little of appeal.

Unfortunately, there is no real alternate.

I-40 from Holbrook, AZ to Gallup, NM.
The prettier part of the Painted Desert has already gone past at this point, and it's just desolate tundra. Windy and cold in the winter, hot and dusty in the summer.

(You can skip the drudgery of I-40 or I-10 in Arizona by taking US60, which winds its way through the Phoenix metro area and promptly disappears into the wilderness. Pick it up on the west side of Arizona on I-10 about 10 miles east of Quartsite, AZ and it will take you to I-25 at Soccoro, NM. Very scenic, decent road, but much slower...)

I-10 from Soccoro, TX to San Antonio, TX.
Somehow, this drive manages to seem far longer than it really is, especially at the peak of summer in dry years. I have no explanation for why this is so.

Of course, Spring has us all beat...

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 33):
The Stuart Highway between Darwin and Port Augusta in Australia...2,834 kilometers (1,761 mi) of nothingness.

Dude, those pictures are devastatingly boring to look at!

RR

seb146

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:16 am

I-80 between Green River, Wyoming and Omaha, Nebraska. I have not been past Omaha. I-90 between Wall, South Dakota and Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I-5 between Eugene, Oregon and Albany, Oregon. I-82. Period. Any road between Winnemucca, Nevada and Burns, Oregon. Whatever highway between Provo, Utah and Grand Junction, Colorado.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

steeler83

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:33 am

How about the PA Turnpike -- the whole stretch west of Philly (PA/OH state line to Valley Forge), with I-80 in Central PA as a close 2nd? It's a very narrow highway through wooded and mountainous terrain for the most part. Same with I-80, and that road has a grass/wooded median.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

IMissPiedmont

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:48 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 24):
Well after 20+ years of living in the desert it does get old pretty quick

I've been here 42 years on August 5th and I think there's no place better, though I do avoid the cities as much as possible.

I guess this will give away my tastes but I think that looks like a pleasant drive.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

stasisLAX

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:02 am

Interstate 40 through the Texas panhandle, New Mexico and northeastern Arizona. Mind-numbing.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

N776AU

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:25 am

Interstate 16 between Macon, GA and Savannah, GA. I would also nominate I-77 between Charlotte and Cleveland.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

tz757300

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:29 am

I nominate I-79 between Erie, PA to Charleston, WV (the whole road). Except for the bit that goes around Pittsburgh, the road is void of absolutely anything to look at, unless you like the view of a mountainside for 343mi.

flymia

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:46 am

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 27):
Florida Turnpike is bad,

Thats what came to my mind, the whole thing is pretty boring. Thankfully it has the high speed limits and just about everyone goes 85mph. Its flat and there is nothing to see.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

TSS

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:57 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 18):

Hmmm... that sounds a lot like I-16.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 25):
I think I-16 for the bulk of its' length is more boring than I-20.
Quoting N776AU (Reply 40):
Interstate 16 between Macon, GA and Savannah, GA.

Srbmod and N776AU beat me to it, so I'll just throw in a third vote for I-16. Nothing but boring, flat farmland for 160 miles with very few exits along the way. When friends of mine from Birmingham would come to Savannah, I'd always warn them to get fuel, food, and anything else they might need in Macon because they weren't going to see any sign of civilization again until they were almost at the Savannah city limits.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ShyFlyer

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:24 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 39):
Interstate 40 through the Texas panhandle, New Mexico and northeastern Arizona. Mind-numbing.

I agree with you in part. However, I find I-40 from ABQ to the AZ border ok, even though I know every inch of it by heart.

Quoting mayor (Reply 7):
I would say I-80 from the Wyoming/Nebraska line, well into Illinois

As far as the portion of I-80 across Nebraska is concerned, I didn't really find that all that bad. Though the part between the I-76 interchange and North Platte does get a little monotonous.

My nominations:

I-76 between Denver and the CO/NE state line. I really dread the portion between the state line and Ft Morgan, CO.

CO 71 between Ordway and Brush, CO. While it is a good way to avoid Pueblo/Springs/Denver areas when I travel from NM to Iowa, it does get pretty lonely. At least it isn't completely flat.

I-25 from Las Vegas, NM and Raton NM. Since the advent of satellite radio it isn't as bad as it used to be, there is very little along this stretch of road that makes one feel they are making any progress on their journey. At least it isn't Kansas boring though.
I lift things up and put them down.

steeler83

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:31 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 41):
I nominate I-79 between Erie, PA to Charleston, WV (the whole road). Except for the bit that goes around Pittsburgh, the road is void of absolutely anything to look at, unless you like the view of a mountainside for 343mi

Hey, there's some scenery to look at up in NW PA there. What about the bridges that cross over Lake Wilhelm in M.K. Goddard State Park? Ok, I guess other than that, big wup...

The PA Turnpike and I-80 are miles from civilization, eh, you know what, I put I-80 over the Turnpike. Williamsport and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre are the 2 biggest mega metros along that stretch of highway. Not to mention, part of the road goes right through the Allegheny National Forest. I guess the only thing exciting would be hittign a deer at 70 mph...

Yet, speaking of running over wildlife, to come back to I-79, my dad ran over a big snake right near the Butler/New Castle interchange some years back. He said it felt like running over a fire hose. Another time I was with my mom, a massive deer almost came right out of the median up near I-80 as we were heading north to Conneaut Lake. Picture that, it was dark, you're driving along doing about 65, and then out of the corner of your eye you see a huge animal almost leap out of the thick trees...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Superfly

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:34 am

I find that amazing.
Id like to drive one of those Holden Monaros or some other powerful Australian/American brand V8, rear-drive cars and open those up on that highway. Are there lots of police on that road? What is the distance between gas/service stations?
Bring back the Concorde

KevinL1011

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:37 am

Quoting KPHXFlyer (Reply 34):
Compared to I-10 between PHX & Palm Springs, it's a relative oasis of interest...
Quoting rottenray (Reply 35):
I-10, from Phoenix, AZ to about Indio, CA.
I third this vote. The only interesting thing is the "Don't Pick Up Hitch Hikers" signs near the prison.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 46):
I find that amazing.
Id like to drive one of those Holden Monaros or some other powerful Australian/American brand V8, rear-drive cars and open those up on that highway.
That was my son Patrick's idea when he moved to Brisbane. He found the speed laws are very strict and the price of a Monaro was out of his budget in Aussie dollars.
When he returned to the states, he could afford a 6.0L GTO w/ a 6 speed in US dollars and bought one.

Are there lots of police on that road?

Just one....

474218, Carl, You will be missed.

Aeroflot777

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:05 am

Oh Emm Gee. That looks SO bad. I can't even think of possibly driving down that - especially breaking down somewhere along the way.

Superfly

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:10 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 47):
Are there lots of police on that road?

Just one....

I would not want to piss him off.   
Bring back the Concorde