Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Schienenflieger

RE: Most Boring Road/highway

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:43 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 31):
The A31 beween the Ruhr-Area and Holland is actually friggin' boring

It is boring indeed if you pootle along at some 70 mph, because you will barely notice and definitely not have to adjust for the very gentle sweepers the road is constantly taking. But -

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 31):
When we drove to Holland frequently many years back, we always took the cars of our parents and tried to reach the cars' top-speed on the way to Holland.

now we're talking. The A31 still is quite deserted (that is until you hit the Ruhr area). Add some high quality tarmac - not one slab of rumpa-pumpa concrete stuff there - and what you end up with is an exceptionally well designed, built and maintained, barely speed restricted and easy to use 120 mile stretch of Autobahn in pancake-flat, beautiful-to-look-at northern German scenery. You go 150mph there, and it's an endless, constant follow-up of relaxed bends.

Which makes it rather thrilling for me  
"Railways are not intended to generate a profit, but to be a beneficial institution for the public." - Otto von Bismarck

Fly2HMO

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 91):
Its actually 80 mph, then they have that idiotic Texas taxation rule of 65 at night.

Ah yes you're right, brain fart. And never ind the reasonable part.  
The AZ roads are quite nice, just with stupidly low 75 mph speed limits.

Maybe lately, but not long ago I-17 going up or down the hill to PRC was nasty. So were many stretches of the I-10 between TUS and PHX. I really hope they make it a six lane the whole way though, so far the 10 is six lanes from TUS all the way to Picacho peak, its pretty nice. But the rest is mediocre IMO.

I find that AZ drivers aren't THAT bad with such behavior. Here in CA, however, terrible.

I think they're terrible. NV drivers more so. I don't have complaints on CA or TX drivers, at least they drive like they actually want to get somewhere.

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 97):
Not even any dead animals...

Been there, driven that. The only reason I didn't find it boring was because it's the perfect stretch with no cops and almost no traffic whatsoever so you can drive as fast as you want without being a danger to nobody but yourself. I've seen a couple of super cars blasting through there a few times.

BMI727

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Thread starter):
This is exacerbated by the fact I-55 bypasses the two major cities it goes by (Bloomington-Normal and Springfield) at a far distance.

That isn't so much the case, but that is a pretty boring road, but not now. At the moment it is a boring parking lot. Leave it to the state of Illinois to create a traffic jam in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, most of the expansion in the Twin Cities was to the east, and a few years ago I even saw a plan to create a ring road around Bloomington-Normal by connecting I-55 as it comes in from Pontiac to I-74 as it goes to Champaign, which would make accessing the airport easier. Unfortunately I think the project is scrapped or on hold.

Quoting iflykpdx (Reply 1):
Really any stretch of road in ND.

Those roads are as interesting as you make them. You can cruise at triple digit speeds with no problem there (and some parts of Illinois too) during the summer, but just be prepared to scrub the carcasses of thousands of bugs off your car.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
BTW, we did get lost in East Saint Loui

You're lucky to be alive.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Cadet57

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:36 pm

Quoting jfk69 (Reply 84):
I-87.....anywhere north of Albany....Basically because it leads to Montreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of -87 is boring. I drove from Troy to New Paltz to check out a car and omg there was nothing out there. Yawn

The AZ roads are quite nice, just with stupidly low 75 mph speed limits.

Considering many people cant drive at speeds half that without crashing, its probably for the best.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ShyFlyer

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 64):
Particularly that canyon at the AZ/NM border and again in the Malpais near Grants/Mt. Taylor.

I lift things up and put them down.

hercppmx

Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:57 am

I-80 across wyoming is very boring once your west of Laramie. If you pick up US-287 just east of Denver and head south toward Amarillo it is painfully long and boring. Passing through the small towns were it drops from 60 to 35 mph every 30 miles or so is painful and very time consuming.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

vhqpa

Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:48 pm

In my childhood my father took me on numerous Darwin - Adelaide and Darwin - Brisbane trips I have to say I didn't mind them as I quite enjoyed the ride and visiting the towns along the way. Although I have to say from the two routes the most boring desolate stretch of highway was on the Barkley Highway between Camooweal and Threeways 450 km (280 miles) of Nothing but a Roadhouse halfway through and the odd random house Hundreds of Km from anything.

Until recently there was a open speed limit outside towns in the Northern Territory however the speed limit is now 130 km/h. However I would be really careful going any faster as there are Large Kangaroos and Feral Camels everywhere in the Australian outback. Not fun to hit one a few hundred kilometres from any help.

Vhq.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

NASCARAirforce

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:53 am

Quoting kstateinALB (Reply 4):
I'd say I-70 through the state of Kansas.

I agree, I only did it once and I did between Kansas City and Topeka during a heavy thunderstorm at night - slept rest of the night at a rest stop west of Topeka and drove to Denver the next day, very boring route.

Quoting N776AU (Reply 40):
Interstate 16 between Macon, GA and Savannah, GA.

I hate this route especially at night. I worry about breaking down because there aren't any exits - well there are but there is nothing on them. I needed coffee really bad and there wasn't even a McDonalds, let alone a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts until you get to Macon. One thing interesting on this highway though are the hurricane ramps for mass evacuations if a storm were heading towards Savannah.

Another one I didn't see mentioned is that highway (forgot the number) that runs between Denver and I-80 in Nebraska - this is very boring as well as I-80 in Nebraska.

Type-Rated

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:56 pm

I nominate I-57 from Chicago to the bottom of the state. Exactly the same as I-55. Miles of corn fields and nothing else.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!