Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aero145

RE: LED Daytime Running Lights. I Am Sick Of Them!

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:52 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 49):
They are my friends as well, great to drive behind them during rain at night.

My all-time favourite!

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 49):
It was kind of a standard move back then... so as you would set the blinker.

What do you mean, "the blinker"?   

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 14):
Some cars use the fog lights.

??? Really? I once got a ticket by the police for using the fog lights when there was no fog...

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 45):
People who realize that it is dark but think that it is way cooler to switch on their parking lights in combination with their fog lights

Guilty as charged Big grin That's why I got a ticket... owned Big grin

[Edited 2010-07-23 16:00:11]

aero145

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:01 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 51):
Really? I once got a ticket by the police for using the fog lights when there was no fog...

Actually, he’s not correct. Using fog lights would be illegal, you have the experience.   What he means are Halogen DRL’s located where the fog lights are.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:04 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 50):
What do you mean, "the blinker"?

Sorry, I meant "turning light". It is "Blinker" in German, for some reasons (alcoholic drinks during watching football tonight) I thought that it was the same in English.  
Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 51):
That's why I got a ticket... owned

Very well deserved!  

Patrick

aero145

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 53):
Sorry, I meant "turning light". It is "Blinker" in German, for some reasons (alcoholic drinks during watching football tonight) I thought that it was the same in English.

Nonono, I knew what you meant - one can say "blinker" in English aswell! I still don’t understand why you were talking about the blinkers and low-beam at the same time.   

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 54):
I still don’t understand why you were talking about the blinkers and low-beam at the same time.

It was a trend to "roll in" low-beam at a disco's or Bar's parking lot because every VW driver thought it is looking cooler. It was a standard move for your hands to lower the lights when entering a parking lot of the aforementioned places. 

Funny, VW is always adding a feature to play with, back then it was the light regulation, nowadays is it.... well, too much.  

Patrick

aero145

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:33 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 55):
It was a trend to "roll in" low-beam at a disco's or Bar's parking lot because every VW driver thought it is looking cooler. It was a standard move for your hands to lower the lights when entering a parking lot of the aforementioned places. 

Ahh, now I understand. Great stuff!   

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 55):
nowadays is it.... well, too much.

Hehe.  

corocks

Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:00 am

I am tired of it because I have it on my car and now everyone does! I have an A5 which was the second Audi to get it. Since the R8 is so rare to see, most people would see it for the first time on my car. I still love it though. It does look weird on some of the other cars though, especially the A4.

NASCARAirforce

Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:19 am

Quoting etherealsky (Reply 1):
At least you don't have to deal with scores of beat-up, ten-year-old Honda civics with poor-quality, poorly-installed aftermarket HID headlamps that shine in the most obnoxious shades of blue and purple, directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers at night, like what we have here in North America. (or do you?)

Or 1992 Honda Civics falling apart with those obnoxious fart pipe exhaust on the back and rims worth 10 times more than the car itself like we have all over Orlando

MD11Engineer

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:55 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 46):

@ MD11Engineer: Immerhin ist Dir nichts passiert! Das ist das wichtigste!

Still it sucks that the truck might get scrapped and the compensation won´t buy me a new one! I didn´t plan buying a car this year, I wanted to buy a house.

Jan

aero145

Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 37):
So, the R8 was the first, the A5 and Phaeton the second, and the A4 the third.

Seems I was wrong, the Porsche 997 Turbo already had LED DRL’s by March 2006!

andz

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:03 pm

As a biker I hate DRLs. If every vehicle on the road has their lights on, bikes disappear.

My BMW has automatic lights which only turn on when they are necessary, not in broad daylight and blazing sunshine.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Can anyone confirm, that the new VW Polo is using the fog-lights as DRLs? I saw two new Polos today and both had the fog-lights on.

I already hate it that the new VW models are using the fog-lights as dynamic curve light, but also as DRLs? Come on VW... that's a (really bad looking) joke.

Patrick

aero145

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:23 pm

The Polo mk5 does as far as I know NOT use the fog-lights as DRL’s, but a different light source in the same housing.

Which means - what you saw was, indeed, unfortunately, Polo mk5’s DRL.

Soon the amount of Xenon-Polos will probably increase, so the DRL’s will be Christmas lights in the corner of the headlamps.  

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 63):
The Polo mk5 does as far as I know NOT use the fog-lights as DRL’s, but a different light source in the same housing.

Thanks for the info!

The light I saw was indeed not "fog-light style" but the fog-light was running. Damn, what did they think at VW? The new Polo is such a great looking car, why do they make it look so cheap with abusing the fog-lights with the DLRs?

First LEDs, now fog-lights. Why can't they friggin' use a damned simple DLR light in the main lights?   

Patrick

aero145

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 64):
Thanks for the info!

You’re very welcome!

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 64):
The light I saw was indeed not "fog-light style" but the fog-light was running.

Were the fog lights really running? You sure? They may look similar but they’re certainly not from the same light source.

Left turning lights with headlights
http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/7/8319/9068896/front-abblend-abbiegelicht-37502.jpg

DRL’s
http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/7/8319/9068896/vorn-tagfahrlicht-23484.jpg

If you have the fog-lights, you get these tiny DRL’s in the housing of the fog-lights that run when you turn the engine on. However, if you don’t have the fog-lights, you can have the DRL’s as 'Dauerfahrlicht', which is always on when you start the engine, wether you like it or not (less fuel economy, more usage of the main Halogen bulbs).

Funny, it doesn’t matter how many cars I see with DRL’s, the best looking lights are the ones on the Golf mk6. Somehow, I cannot find anything that can beat them.  Wow! You agree with me?

[Edited 2010-07-28 15:41:41]

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:46 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 65):
Were the fog lights really running? You sure? They may look similar but they’re certainly not from the same light source.

Yes, this is was I was trying to say. The fog-lights were running but not so bright as real fog-lights. Anyway, using the fog-lights as whatever except the fog-lights is just looking cheap! I expected better from VW!

Funny, it doesn’t matter how many cars I see with DRL’s, the best looking lights are the ones on the Golf mk6. Somehow, I cannot find anything that can beat them. You agree with me?

I can't agree more! The Golf is a perfect car in many ways, I really like it!

Patrick

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:06 pm

Left turning lights with headlights

David, thanks for the pictures! Now I realize that these are indeed not the fog-lights but lights beside them! Sorry, I was not able to take a closer look this afternoon because I had to watch the traffic myself.

Again: Why did they put the DRLs next to the fog-light?

Patrick

aero145

Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 66):
I can't agree more!

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 66):
The Golf is a perfect car in many ways, I really like it!

I for sure like it, but unfortunately the only experience I have had was on a Comfortline with the 1.6-litre LPG engine, with a manual tranny and extremely few extras.  
Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 67):
David, thanks for the pictures! Now I realize that these are indeed not the fog-lights but lights beside them! Sorry, I was not able to take a closer look this afternoon because I had to watch the traffic myself.

Again, you’re welcome. And no worries. "I see you’re someone who turns his brain on while driving. I like it."  

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 67):
Again: Why did they put the DRLs next to the fog-light?

No freakin’ idea. The only thing I know is that it was one stupid decision. They should have done it like with the bigger brother, the Golf.

Anyways, the Polo mk5 looks mighty cool, especially in 3-door version with Xenons and the 17 inch alloys!   

Aesma

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 41):
Very interesting, I've never noticed that. But when do you see a Phaeton on the road? These cars are very rare, probably because people prefer Audi when they spend so much money for a car.

I'd say people don't want to pay that much and have a car that looks like a Passat. Not that Audi are much better, but they have the rings on the hood.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 45):
1. People who are too friggin' stupid to realize that it is dark and don't switch on their lights at all
2. People who realize that it is dark but think that it is way cooler to switch on their parking lights in combination with their fog lights

Yep, we have the same ones here. Especially in my neighborhood which is well lit, people forget their lights. Problem is, with yellow/orange street lighting and cars parked on the sides of the road, a car driving without lights is easily missed.

As for the fog lights, even my mother did that until I told her to stop. And yes, it really was the fog lights, no DLR on French cars AFAIK.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 68):
but unfortunately the only experience I have had was on a Comfortline with the 1.6-litre LPG engine, with a manual tranny and extremely few extras.

The 1.6 engine is quite cool IMO. I drove it several times in VW's and Audi's and I always liked it. Ok, sometimes you have to push the pedal a bit harder (what is resulting in a higher fuel consumption) but overall is this one of my favorite VW engines.

As for the extras... well, the Golf's cockpit definitely looks better when there is a bit to play with (navi, MFA+, etc.) but the basic cockpit is also ok because of the high quality.

No freakin’ idea. The only thing I know is that it was one stupid decision. They should have done it like with the bigger brother, the Golf.

Nothing more to say regarding this topic!

Anyways, the Polo mk5 looks mighty cool, especially in 3-door version with Xenons and the 17 inch alloys!

When the new Polo had been available last year - when my girly searched for a new car - then I had persuaded her to buy the Polo instead of a Golf. As you wrote, the 3-door GTI in combination with nice rims is friggin' cool!

Quoting Aesma (Reply 69):
I'd say people don't want to pay that much and have a car that looks like a Passat.

I agree. I like VW but the Phaeton is useless! I can not imagine that they are earning much money with it.

Not that Audi are much better, but they have the rings on the hood.

My Audi owns a Porsche.  
Yep, we have the same ones here.

I am glad that I am not the only one who has to live with these morons!

Patrick

aero145

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 70):
sometimes you have to push the pedal a bit harder

When driving uphill I had to push the pedal to the floor, and even touch the button that’s located behind the pedal! IMO it was really slow, only after 3000 revs I noticed some pull. It was a new engine however, so I didn’t rev it higher.

what is resulting in a higher fuel consumption

I think the 1.6 simply drinks very much, no matter how you drive it.

Don’t get me wrong, after 3000 rpm it was really fun!

definitely looks better when there is a bit to play with

Fly2HMO would have straight away started talking about girls when he had read this.  
the 3-door GTI

Not even the GTI, just the Highline looks mighty cool! Why didn’t she buy the Polo after all? Because it didn’t have a 122 hp 1.4 but a 105 hp 1.2?

My Audi owns a Porsche.

What’s that supposed to mean?   

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:22 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 71):
Why didn’t she buy the Polo after all?

The new Polo wasn't available last summer and the guy at the VW dealer made us a very good price for the Golf.

Quoting aero145 (Reply 71):
What’s that supposed to mean?

That means that a couple of Porsche drivers looked a bit stupid when I passed them easily. 

Patrick

aero145

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 72):
The new Polo wasn't available last summer and the guy at the VW dealer made us a very good price for the Golf.

Aha! Oh well then, the Golf is the better car anyways.  
Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 72):
That means that a couple of Porsche drivers looked a bit stupid when I passed them easily.

Haha! As I’ve said before, if you get S-Line exhaust pipes they’ll look even more stupid. 

Btw, shouldn’t you be working?   

CPDC10-30

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:52 pm

Even some of the new buses in London have the LED running lights now too. But if you can't see a red double deck bus coming, I think you've got bigger problems...

757luver

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:49 am

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 10):
DRLs are also really useful when people are friggin idiots and don't turn on their lights during a rain storm, or even better, like the silver SUV during early morning fog where vis was less than 500 feet. I only just spotted him as I was turning out and stopped just in time.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves while driving. When you have 18 or more wheels throwing spray out its hard to see whats behind you. Makes it even better when you almost run em over and then they come up beside you cussing and flipping you off like its your fault. Then you smile and wave and then they really get pissed.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 73):
Haha! As I’ve said before, if you get S-Line exhaust pipes they’ll look even more stupid.

They're too expensive I think. I didn't ask for the price because I already know that I will say "No!". And I do not plan to drive this car forever, so I won't invest so much money anymore.

Quoting aero145 (Reply 73):
Btw, shouldn’t you be working?

When I posted this last Friday, I had approx. 10 minutes of work left last week.  
Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 74):
But if you can't see a red double deck bus coming, I think you've got bigger problems...

I agree!

Patrick

aero145

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 76):
And I do not plan to drive this car forever

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 76):
When I posted this last Friday, I had approx. 10 minutes of work left last week.

I thought that for example "9-17" meant "9-17", not "9-16:50".   

----

I saw a Polo V today... what a fine looking car! What’s with those DRL’s though?!

Sabena332
Topic Author

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 77):
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Maybe I'll switch back to VW... who knows?  
I thought that for example "9-17" meant "9-17", not "9-16:50".

It was Friday, Friday is the easy day at work! Just three days left! 
I saw a Polo V today... what a fine looking car!

I agree! Outstanding design work!

What’s with those DRL’s though?!

Horrible!

Since we made that to the official VW and Audi thread (   ), let me ask you another VW question:

Why does the Golf R not have the electronic parking brake? It is a 4WD and almost all 4WD VW and Audi models got it. Why not the Golf R, the top Golf model?

Patrick

aero145

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 78):
Maybe I'll switch back to VW... who knows?  

Then you MUST buy a GTI or an R20!   

It was Friday, Friday is the easy day at work! Just three days left! 

It starts with Monday, the first day of the week: "Only 5 days left!!! "

Since we made that to the official VW and Audi thread

Why does the Golf R not have the electronic parking brake? It is a 4WD and almost all 4WD VW and Audi models got it. Why not the Golf R, the top Golf model?

It has nothing to do with 4WD.   The only thing with 4WD is, that if it’s AWD (which is for example not the case with the X5 and X6), you don’t really need a parking brake because all wheels are locked when you put the car into gear and turn the engine off. 

Theoretically, I’m right, but I’m just joking around.

(Talking about the X5/X6, if you stop it on a slippery slope, put it into P and push the parking brake button, the car will very likely roll because there’s no AWD, so the front wheels aren’t braked at all!)

Without the handbrake, you couldn’t do handbrake turns. Without a handbrake, a Golf isn’t a Golf! The feeling of pulling the handbrake would be missing. How could that be driving a Golf?! You must have a handbrake!!!

See, I’m still joking around.  

I don’t know why they didn’t put EPB into the Golf R, but I think it’s because all the Golf-line doesn’t have it. Trendline, Comfortline, Goal, Highline, BlueMotion, GTD, GTI... Like, the A5 got the EPB, so the A4 B8 got it too, and so did the S and RS variants. The A4 B7 had a handbrake, and so did the RS4, even the cabrio.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 79):
Then you MUST buy a GTI or an R20!

Yeah, these two models are also my favorites.

It starts with Monday, the first day of the week: "Only 5 days left!!!

I hate Mondays and love Fridays, so my week starts with Friday.  
I don’t know why they didn’t put EPB into the Golf R, but I think it’s because all the Golf-line doesn’t have it. Trendline, Comfortline, Goal, Highline, BlueMotion, GTD, GTI...

That is probably the reason. I can also imagine that it would be too expensive for VW to install the EPB in just one Golf model, they would have to modify the whole center console.

and so did the RS4, even the cabrio.

Interesting, I didn't know that before.

Patrick

aero145

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 80):
I can also imagine that it would be too expensive for VW to install the EPB in just one Golf model, they would have to modify the whole center console.

I doubt it. VW have loads of money, and not installing the handbrake wouldn’t cost a lot.   The Golf has buttons in the centre console, they only would have to colour one differently and add a motor in the rear to brake the rear wheels. And put a cable between. Really, no problem at all!

But why EPB? The handbrake is more fun.   And it’s not like it’s a problem to drive off without a special brake. Or just pull the handbrake.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 80):
Interesting, I didn't know that before.

Did you know that the S-Class still has no EPB and the Audi S8 ’02 came with stick shift and a handbrake?  

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:19 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 81):
The Golf has buttons in the centre console, they only would have to colour one differently

They would have to add an additional button, the Golf has five buttons in the center console and all five are occupied when you have the following:

- ESP (on/off button)
- DCC (Sport/Normal/Comfort button)
- Park Pilot (activation button)
- Parking Sensors (on/off button)
- Tire Pressure Control (set button)

But why EPB? The handbrake is more fun.

An EPB is more comfortable, you don't have to touch it, it is activating/deactivating itself. This is also the reason why I like the "Auto" function of the light switch. I don't know when I last touched the light switch or EPB because the car is doing it for me when needed.

Did you know that the S-Class still has no EPB

I know, I drove the S500 of my Spanish teacher last year because I only had two beers while he had four beers. It was fun, we drove from Bochum to Dortmund via the A40 with BVB player Nelson Valdez on the back seat. Both of them were in a hurry so I was allowed to drive slightly over the speed limit. 

Patrick

aero145

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 82):
he Golf has five buttons in the center console

Dayyum, that’s a whole lot! I still think it wouldn’t be expensive for the 'poor' VW folks to add an EPB.  
An EPB is more comfortable, you don't have to touch it, it is activating/deactivating itself. This is also the reason why I like the "Auto" function of the light switch. I don't know when I last touched the light switch or EPB because the car is doing it for me when needed.

Fair enough.  
How is it though, can one park the car without the EPB engaged? For example after having driven in wet snow during minus temps and not having a garage... meaning a frozen brake in the morning.

I know, I drove the S500 of my Spanish teacher last year because I only had two beers while he had four beers. It was fun, we drove from Bochum to Dortmund via the A40 with BVB player Nelson Valdez on the back seat. Both of them were in a hurry so I was allowed to drive slightly over the speed limit.

Gooooil!   

At least you know about the brake and it’s really stupid. The A8 for example has had an EPB since 2003!

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 83):
I still think it wouldn%u2019t be expensive for the 'poor' VW folks to add an EPB.

I agree, installing an EPB would probably cost them 5 EUR per car.

Quoting aero145 (Reply 83):
can one park the car without the EPB engaged?

It is activating itself as soon as you switch into "P" and pull the key.

Patrick

aero145

Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 84):
It is activating itself as soon as you switch into "P" and pull the key.

I know that! I meant if you can turn it off…?

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:32 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 85):
I meant if you can turn it off…?

You can only turn it off when the engine is running and when you push the brake pedal. It is not possible to park your car without the EPB.

Patrick

aero145

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 86):
It is not possible to park your car without the EPB.

That’s funny. If you turn the stick shift version off (at least the A4), put it into gear and remove the stick, the EPB doesn’t activate! Maybe it’s only like this in the DSG versions.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 87):
If you turn the stick shift version off (at least the A4), put it into gear and remove the stick, the EPB doesn’t activate!

Interesting, I didn't know that it is possible.

Quoting aero145 (Reply 87):
Maybe it’s only like this in the DSG versions.

Very likely that it has to do with the DSG.

Patrick

aero145

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 88):
Interesting, I didn't know that it is possible.
Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 88):
Very likely that it has to do with the DSG.

It MAY be something you can change in the MMI menu, why don’t you check for me?  

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 89):
It MAY be something you can change in the MMI menu, why don’t you check for me?

This could be! I'll take a look tomorrow afternoon when I return from work, I am too lazy at the moment (I'm drinking a beer and watching my favorite football club playing).

Patrick

aero145

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 90):
This could be! I'll take a look tomorrow afternoon when I return from work, I am too lazy at the moment (I'm drinking a beer and watching my favorite football club playing).

Looking forward. Enjoy yourself tonight.  

Jut’s Nächtl.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 91):
Enjoy yourself tonight.

I am at it.  

Patrick (who is opening another beer)