Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sabena332
Topic Author

LED Daytime Running Lights. I Am Sick Of Them!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi all,

Well, it became friggin' "IN!" here in Germany lately, to have your car equipped with LED daytime running lights. Audi was the first one with them (I found it cool back then!), then came VW's R models, meanwhile we also had Porsche, Merc, and BMW, before VW equipped the new Touaregs, Phetons and - no joke - Polo GTIs with them. Not to mention of all these jerks who buy them as a retrofit kit.

I will drive to my local Audi dealer tomorrow to tell some dude there to deactivate my LED lights, I do not want to belong to all these "Clownsmobile" drivers. Instead, I will switch on my dim light as I always did before.

Rant over!

Patrick

etherealsky

RE: LED Daytime Running Lights. I Am Sick Of Them!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Thread starter):
Not to mention of all these jerks who buy them as a retrofit kit.

Hahaha  

At least you don't have to deal with scores of beat-up, ten-year-old Honda civics with poor-quality, poorly-installed aftermarket HID headlamps that shine in the most obnoxious shades of blue and purple, directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers at night, like what we have here in North America. (or do you?)   

[Edited 2010-07-21 16:27:28]

asuflyer05

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:24 pm

I agree from a style standpoint, they are a little over done. But from a practical standpoint, they are much more visible and conserve energy too.

Fly2HMO

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 pm

I don't have a problem with factory installations. Audi's LEDs are my favorite.

Quoting etherealsky (Reply 1):

At least you don't have to deal with scores of beat-up, ten-year-old Honda civics with poor-quality, poorly-installed aftermarket HID headlamps that shine in the most obnoxious shades of blue and purple, directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers at night.

Oh don't get me started with those rice rocket turds.   

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:29 pm

I have never understood "daytime" running lights, LED or standard?

I guess they are like the third brake light, when it was mandated (1986 in the US) rear end collisions when down. Now they are right back up because people have gotten use to it.

aero145

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:33 pm

Phetons

The Phaeton got LED DRL’s before the new A4 even came out.

I will drive to my local Audi dealer tomorrow to tell some dude there to deactivate my LED lights

Last time I fiddled with the MMI I recall having seen an option to deactivate the lights. I may be wrong but I suggest you check it out, if you haven’t already.  

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the LED’s - I’m always happy seeing the DRL on the Golf VI with the Halogens, it’s nicely yellow, noticeable, and not a dim, ugly looking, strip of Christmas lights. It’s clever - not overly bright and is bent up and straight ahead, because that’s what DRL’s are for.

aero145

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 4):
I guess they are like the third brake light

It comes in handy actually, one can wait in the queue in front of the lights in neutral and when one sees the third brake lights in the car in front of the car in front go off, one can select first gear (or D) and keep the flow going, instead of taking ages to finally select the gear and go.

I don’t see a lot of point in most DRL’s, they don’t really make much of a difference. I think normal dimmed lights make the most sense.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:37 pm

(or do you?)

Fortunately not!   

Quoting asuflyer05 (Reply 2):
I agree from a style standpoint, they are a little over done. But from a practical standpoint, they are much more visible and conserve energy too.

They are definitely overdone! I would not wonder when there were people employed lately, who have a clue where to place LED lights.   Seriously, I like them as LED back-lights, they are very easy to recognize in every weather and on top of that are Merc's lights blinking a few times in a single second when the driver is braking hard. LEDs are useful for backlights but not for DLRs in my opinion, your normal dim-light is also seeable. This "light-show" becomes a bit stupid.

Patrick

idealstandard

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:07 am

I think the audi ones look good, especially how some of them turn off when the indicators are activated.

LAXintl

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:39 am

Safety benefits. Various crash studies show between a few percent to up to 34 percent reduction in various forms of crashes.

Per US Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:
Q.What are the safety advantages of DRLs?
A. Daytime running lights (DRLs) are a low-cost method to reduce crashes. They are especially effective in preventing daytime head-on and front-corner collisions by increasing vehicle conspicuity and making it easier to detect approaching vehicles from farther away.
Q. How effective are DRLs?
A. Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States.

Daytime running lights are similar to aircraft having lights on during daytime operations. Anything that helps improve being seen is positive.

akiss20

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:17 am

DRLs are also really useful when people are friggin idiots and don't turn on their lights during a rain storm, or even better, like the silver SUV during early morning fog where vis was less than 500 feet. I only just spotted him as I was turning out and stopped just in time.

CPH-R

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:26 am

Well, if you want to turn it around, I can add that driving a car with mandatory DRL, in countries where DRL isn't mandatory, I've lost track of how many cars going the other way have flashed their headlights at me  

etherealsky

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:07 am

DRL on the whole are enormously useful when it comes to seeing & avoiding other vehicles; it's really the same concept as pilots using taxi lights during the daytime during surface movement, takeoff, and approach. I happen to be a strong supporter of the "lights on below 10,000" practice encouraged by the FAA after a few close calls with other VFR aircraft not communicating on the radio and without taxi/landing lights.

[Edited 2010-07-21 19:09:56]

einsteinboricua

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:12 am

Excuse the newbie-ness here, since I know squat about cars. Are you guys referring to the fog lights that new models have on every time the car is on, or is this another type of light?

Fly2HMO

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:15 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 13):
Are you guys referring to the fog lights that new models have on every time the car is on, or is this another type of light?

Depends on the car. Some cars use the fog lights. Others use the main car headlamps. Few have dedicated DRLs.

JBirdAV8r

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:27 am

Eh, if you're going to have LED DRL's, I still think it's hard to beat the BMW coronas. I think the Audi A4's just look weird.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 14):
Are you guys referring to the fog lights that new models have on every time the car is on, or is this another type of light?

Depends on the car. Some cars use the fog lights. Others use the main car headlamps. Few have dedicated DRLs.

My car, for example, uses the high beams for DRL's at a low intensity.

ACDC8

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:16 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 14):
Some cars use the fog lights

Thats one thing that ticks me off to no end, white lights being called fog lights just because they're low to the ground, they're fine as driving lights but useless in the fog as they just light the soup up. Now, good yellow bulbs that actually cut through the fog are fog lights  

As for the LED DRLs, if they're stock as on Audi's, I quite like them but the aftermarket strips from WallyWorld that everyone slaps on their Civics or Cobalts are just as tacky as the rest of the useless sh!t they put on their cars 
Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 15):
I still think it's hard to beat the BMW coronas.

Agreed on that, they look so right on a BMW, but again, the aftermarket ricers ruin them. Add to that that most people around here think that GM was the first to use them when they put them on the new Camaro ... uhhhh, nooooo, they've been around for quite sometime now thank you  
Excuse the newbie-ness here, since I know squat about cars. Are you guys referring to the fog lights that new models have on every time the car is on, or is this another type of light?

My 07 Golf just used standard low beams as DRLs, with no other lights on. My 04 Mustang only has one bulb for both low and high beam, so it comes on (again with no other lights) but a little dimmer than when you actually turn them on. My 06 HHR just uses the orange parking lights but I can turn the driving (fog) lights on at the same time.

DocLightning

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:47 am

Quoting aero145 (Reply 6):
I think normal dimmed lights make the most sense.

But use more power. The strip of LED's probably uses less than 10W. A pair of headlamps at 30% power uses about 60W. LED's also have a much longer service life.

aero145

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:25 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 17):
But use more power.

And American cars usually use much more fuel to drive a particular distance than European cars use for the same distance.  
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 17):
The strip of LED's probably uses less than 10W. A pair of headlamps at 30% power uses about 60W.

Okay, that was a bit more than I had expected.  Wow!

MingToo

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:35 am

At least you don't have to deal with scores of beat-up, ten-year-old Honda civics with poor-quality, poorly-installed aftermarket HID headlamps that shine in the most obnoxious shades of blue and purple, directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers at night, like what we have here in North America.

I don't think you have this in the US, but in Europe if a car has HID headlamps it must also by law have headlamp washers and a self-levelling system for the headlamps to level them under load conditions, i.e. not manual but automatic.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:09 am

I completely agree with you! I thought they looked stupid from the beginning.

It looks like all the car companies hired some teenagers to style their cars. I don't think LED lights belong on an S-class or A8. It might look good on a Porsche though. I think it's a shame though. The R8 used to differentiate itself from the rest of the small Audis with the LED lights. Now you have to get real close to tell the difference between an A4 and an R8.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:16 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 9):

Safety benefits. Various crash studies show between a few percent to up to 34 percent reduction in various forms of crashes.

In Scandinavia, it is mandatory to have your lights on even during the day, so all cars sold here, will turn on the lights automatically whenever you start the engine.

aero145

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:19 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 21):
In Scandinavia, it is mandatory to have your lights on even during the day, so all cars sold here, will turn on the lights automatically whenever you start the engine.

It’s also like this in Iceland.
How is it in Denmark, are you allowed to drive with Audi’s LED DRL’s and rear lights or do you have to turn on the Xenons? Here I’ve seen A4’s with the LED’s on, but I didn’t see if the rear lights were on or if it’s allowed at all.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:22 am

Quoting aero145 (Reply 22):

How is it in Denmark, are you allowed to drive with Audi’s LED DRL’s and rear lights or do you have to turn on the Xenons? Here I’ve seen A4’s with the LED’s on, but I didn’t see if the rear lights were on or if it’s allowed at all.

I am not sure, but I would think the xenons are required for night time use, as I have never seen an Audi drive around with just LEDs on during night.

My dads audi will turn on the xenons automatically whenever the light sensor thinks it is "too dark". So I guess Audi thought of that and maybe because it could be a legal requirement.

Aesma

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:46 am

At least you don't have to deal with scores of beat-up, ten-year-old Honda civics with poor-quality, poorly-installed aftermarket HID headlamps that shine in the most obnoxious shades of blue and purple, directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers at night, like what we have here in North America. (or do you?)

Yes we do, even if it's illegal. So I think this LED trend is good because they put that instead of the Xenons.

aero145

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:03 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 23):
I am not sure, but I would think the xenons are required for night time use

Well I meant for the day of course.   The LED’s make the car visible, but don’t make the otherwise invisible road in front of the car visible.  
Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 23):
My dads audi will turn on the xenons automatically whenever the light sensor thinks it is "too dark". So I guess Audi thought of that and maybe because it could be a legal requirement.

Hmm, I’ve seen quite some cars with that feature, I think this so that when people for example forget to turn their lights on during rain or in tunnels, the car will do it automatically.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:10 am

Quoting aero145 (Reply 25):
Well I meant for the day of course. The LED’s make the car visible, but don’t make the otherwise invisible road in front of the car visible.

:P I think it is enough with the LEDs.

Quoting aero145 (Reply 25):

Hmm, I’ve seen quite some cars with that feature, I think this so that when people for example forget to turn their lights on during rain or in tunnels, the car will do it automatically.

Yeah... it's a nice feature!

JJJ

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:15 am

Well, it became friggin' "IN!" here in Germany lately,

Not just in Germany.

The new Alfa Giulietta and Citroen DS3 have them as well.

http://www.sobrecoches.com/var/plain_site/storage/images/coches/citroen/ds3/novedad_gama_2010/detalles/citroen_ds3_gama_2010/372350-1-esl-ES/citroen_ds3_gama_20101.jpg

MD-90

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:21 am

I will drive to my local Audi dealer tomorrow to tell some dude there to deactivate my LED lights, I do not want to belong to all these "Clownsmobile" drivers. Instead, I will switch on my dim light as I always did before.

Personally, I think that's a bad idea. I've seen people driving with their headlights on during the day because their cars didn't have DRLs and they thought that they should have their lights on but I think it desensitizes the driver behind you to your taillights being on all the time. I want the maximum difference between having no brake lights and having my brake lights on. I've seen cars in broad daylight where you can't tell if they're braking or not because they were driving with their lights on.

aero145

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:35 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 26):
:P I think it is enough with the LEDs.

Seriously? That’s amazing. If true.  
Quoting JJJ (Reply 27):
Not just in Germany.

I think he meant the aftermarket LED stripes which people put on all kinds of cars that look like hell. Apart from the obvious German cars that have it factory fitted.  

I think the DS3 looks just fine with them, but the Giulietta could have done without them.

offloaded

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:43 am

Well, it became friggin' "IN!" here in Germany lately, to have your car equipped with LED daytime running lights

It isn't "IN" I'm afraid, it's an EU directive. You get no choice in the matter. It came in either last year or earlier this year.

It might make sense in Scadanavia, but down here in Gibraltar / Spain / Portugal, it's bloody pointless. But that's typical EU policy for you: unwanted, unneeded and unnecessary. Oh yes, and it actually increases emissions slightly.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Quoting offloaded (Reply 30):
It isn't "IN" I'm afraid, it's an EU directive. You get no choice in the matter. It came in either last year or earlier this year.

LEDs are not mandatory, normal DRLs do it as well, so I don't understand why the car manufacturers have started sort of contest which of their LED lights are looking better.

This could be an invention from Apple, useless and overhyped crap!  

I didn't make it to my Audi dealer today but I will let deactivate them as soon as I have time.

Edit:

Quoting aero145 (Reply 5):
The Phaeton got LED DRL’s before the new A4 even came out.

Are you sure? Had the "old" Phaeton always LED DRLs? I never noticed that.

Quoting aero145 (Reply 5):
I’m always happy seeing the DRL on the Golf VI with the Halogens, it’s nicely yellow, noticeable, and not a dim, ugly looking, strip of Christmas lights. It’s clever - not overly bright and is bent up and straight ahead, because that’s what DRL’s are for.

I agree!

It comes in handy actually, one can wait in the queue in front of the lights in neutral and when one sees the third brake lights in the car in front of the car in front go off, one can select first gear (or D) and keep the flow going, instead of taking ages to finally select the gear and go.

I see that you are someone who is switching on his brain while driving, I like that!  Smile

You are allowed to drive my car every time you want!  Wink

Patrick

[Edited 2010-07-22 14:37:58]

ALTF4

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:42 pm

I found it cool back then!

Ah, but now you don't, so the world must change.   - relax - I'm kidding.

At least you don't have to deal with scores of beat-up, ten-year-old Honda civics with poor-quality, poorly-installed aftermarket HID headlamps that shine in the most obnoxious shades of blue and purple, directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers at night

I hate those. Always aimed high and to the left. I swear, the normal lights on my old camry illuminate more road than those xenon lights installed because they aim them at other cars so the road gets very little light.

photopilot

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 16):
Thats one thing that ticks me off to no end, white lights being called fog lights just because they're low to the ground, they're fine as driving lights but useless in the fog as they just light the soup up. Now, good yellow bulbs that actually cut through the fog are fog lights

Well, I see that you really do not understand what a "Foglight" is. It has absolutely nothing to do with the color of the bulb or lens. Fog lights can be eithe White or Yellow. It's a very common misconception that far too many people believe.

What is DOES have to do with is the pattern of the beam. Fog lights aren't necessarily amber lights, nor are amber lights always fog lights. There are amber driving lights, amber spotlights, and, in France, there are amber headlights. What makes a fog light is the light pattern, regardless of the type of lamp or color of the light. A real fog light -- one that will do you good when you're trying to see in the fog -- has a wide beam pattern (70 degrees to 120 degrees) with a sharp, flat cutoff on top.

You can't see "through" fog. You see in foggy weather by lighting up the road under the fog, illuminating as little of the fog as possible to avoid producing glare.

Fog is defined as a thick cloud of water droplets, 0.00039 to 0.00156 inches in diameter, suspended in the atmosphere at or near the earth's surface and reducing visibility to below half a mile.

Your high beam headlights produce a wall of glare -- a whiteout -- from the light bouncing off these droplets of water. You're being blinded by the glare of your own lights reflected off the water vapor in front of you. Similar experiences occur in rain, snow, dust, etc.

The amount of glare from the airborne moisture is affected by the relationship of angles between your line of sight and the angle of your car's lights. That's why you want a wide, flat beam from your fog lights. What you want your fog lamp to do is light up the road in front of you without lighting up the fog that's higher up, right in front of your eyes.

Here's a reasonable diagram to help you understand the differences between Headlights, Foglights, Driving Light beam patterns.

HT

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:33 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 11):
Well, if you want to turn it around, I can add that driving a car with mandatory DRL, in countries where DRL isn't mandatory, I've lost track of how many cars going the other way have flashed their headlights at me

This habit, fortunately, has changed in Germany meanwhile.
When I had the first DRLs (conventional, not LED it is) installed on my previous car about 6 years ago (how time flies !), I even got pulled over by local police twice within short period, who had no clue what DRLs were even though their use had been approved by EU- and German law a while ago   

But I purely see DRLs as a practical thing, not a stylish one.
-HT

ACDC8

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 33):

Fog lights are meant to cut through fog to give you better visibility ... most fog lights are located on the vehicle close to the ground so they light up more of the side of the road as well as directly in front of you and don't reflect the water droplets as much as low beams or high beams do, however white lights reflect the water droplets a great deal more than yellow lights do thus making a yellow bulb much more effective.

White bulbs are fine if the road is wet or going down the highway to provide better side visibility without using your highbeams and blinding oncoming traffic but once the fog hits yellow bulbs offer a much better degree of visibility than white bulbs thus making them much better for fog. Best thing to do is turn off your headlights and DRLs if possible and just use the fogs.

offloaded

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 31):
LEDs are not mandatory, normal DRLs do it as well, so I don't understand why the car manufacturers have started sort of contest which of their LED lights are looking better.

I apologise. You are of course correct. It is not mandatory to have LED DRLs but it is to have DRLs.

aero145

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Of course, I also use the third brake lights of the cars in front to brake early enough so that I’m not micrometres from licking the boot lid in the car in front of me.  
Are you sure? Had the "old" Phaeton always LED DRLs? I never noticed that.

Yes I’m sure. I visited the Gläserne Manufaktur last year.  
The Phaeton had a facelift (1. Modellpflege) in March 2007, the same time the A5 was shown to the public. In the autumn before that, the R8 came out as the first car with the LED DRL’s. The A4 was shown for the first time in September 2007. So, the R8 was the first, the A5 and Phaeton the second, and the A4 the third.

Here are pictures of the original Phaeton, the 1. Modellpflege and the 2. Modellpflege. Mind you, those are only the Xenon variants, the Halogens look differently. Photo courtesy of the amazing Netcarshow.

2002 Original: Notice the lines under the headlights, those are the blinkers.

2007 1. Modellpflege: Notice the lines under the headlights, those are the LED’s. Blinkers have been moved.

2010: The, IMO, fugly looking 2. Modellpflege.

Note, I’m only 99.9% sure about my facts - if anyone can prove me wrong, please do so! I’m quite confident, though.  
I see that you are someone who is switching on his brain while driving, I like that!  

You are allowed to drive my car every time you want!

I try my best.   I’ll be sure to take your word for it and use the opportunity in a few months.  

[Edited 2010-07-23 07:25:35]

MD11Engineer

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Daytime running lights don´t even help. Yesterday afternoon I was peacefully trundling down the country highway to my home, when, at a T-junction to my right a guy on the opposing (oncoming) lane indicated a left turn and stopped to turn into the smaller road. I thought that he had seen me, but suddenly he crossed the centerline at slow speed, crossing my lane, about 50 metres in front of me. I was going about 80-100 km/h and had my headlights on. I hit the brakes and could barely avoid him (else my 2.5 ton Land Rover would have smashed up his VW Passat and possibly have killed him), but then I went off the road, across some curbstones, knocking down a traffic sign and ended up with my bumper, bonnet and left fender wrapped around a tree.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/jkrusat/P220710_1447_01.jpg
Nothing happend to me, but it could well be that my Land Rover (built in 1987) is an economical write off for the other guy´s insurance.
Police came swiftly and the guy admitted that he had cut me off (claiming that he didn´t see my truck, c´mon, it is only 2.30 metres high and I had the headlights on).
Then I had it towed to a garage and now I'm waiting for an appraiser to estimate a value.

The problem is that I like the older Land Rovers with the ultrareliable 2.5 liter 200 TDI turbodiesel engine. The newer ones use electronically controlled engines, which are much more sensitive to fuel quality and which have a reputation of problems with their electrics.

Jan

[Edited 2010-07-23 08:31:46]

[Edited 2010-07-23 08:52:36]

TheSonntag

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 11):

Very true. We lived in Denmark for some years, and our cars were bought there, and in germany we get constantly reminded by others about the light  

aero145

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 38):

I’m so sorry to hear about this!   Hopefully you’ll get a reasonable refund to buy and convert another, this type Land Rover!

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 37):
2007 1. Modellpflege: Notice the lines under the headlights, those are the LED’s. Blinkers have been moved.

Very interesting, I've never noticed that. But when do you see a Phaeton on the road? These cars are very rare, probably because people prefer Audi when they spend so much money for a car.

I’ll be sure to take your word for it and use the opportunity in a few months.

Just let me know!

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 38):
Nothing happend to me

That is the main thing! You can replace a car but not your health - or even your life.

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 39):
Very true. We lived in Denmark for some years, and our cars were bought there, and in germany we get constantly reminded by others about the light

I know that! My driving instructor told me to drive always with dim-lights approx. 15 years ago already. And I always did it before I had cars with DRLs.

Patrick

aero145

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 41):
But when do you see a Phaeton on the road?

Like, once every two or three months.  

RobertNL070

Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 21):
In Scandinavia, it is mandatory to have your lights on even during the day
Quoting aero145 (Reply 22):
It’s also like this in Iceland.

It's not mandatory in the Netherlands, but it is considered good practice and this results in about 80% of cars driving with DRL's. Studies suggest that driving with DRL's prevent 45 fatalities a year.

aero145

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 43):
It's not mandatory in the Netherlands, but it is considered good practice

Neither is it in Germany, but it’s also considered good practice here.

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 43):
and this results in about 80% of cars driving with DRL's.

It’s bad here, I don’t know how many times I have to flash my headlights into oncoming traffic during DUSK!!!

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Quoting aero145 (Reply 44):
It’s bad here, I don’t know how many times I have to flash my headlights into oncoming traffic during DUSK!!!

You have two kinds of morons here in Germany:

1. People who are too friggin' stupid to realize that it is dark and don't switch on their lights at all
2. People who realize that it is dark but think that it is way cooler to switch on their parking lights in combination with their fog lights

Patrick

TheSonntag

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 45):
fog lights

Not to forget the fog backlight.

@ MD11Engineer: Immerhin ist Dir nichts passiert! Das ist das wichtigste!

baguy

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but my dad's Phaeton is a late 2008 model and it doesn't have DRLs (but he does have those gorgeous wheels!)

BAguy

aero145

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 45):
2. People who realize that it is dark but think that it is way cooler to switch on their parking lights in combination with their fog lights

I haven’t seen that yet, it must look horrendously stupid!

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 46):

Yep. And the fine for driving around in a visibility 50 metres or more is far too low, this is a hazard on the roads! I’ve never had to use it, nevertheless I see almost everybody driving around with it in only light fog. Oh well oh well.

Quoting baguy (Reply 47):
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but my dad's Phaeton is a late 2008 model and it doesn't have DRLs

Does your father’s Phaeton have directional headlights? It seems the LED’s came in 2007 as I said, but only with the directional headlights, not with the basic Xenons.

[Edited 2010-07-23 15:11:30]

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 46):

They are my friends as well, great to drive behind them during rain at night.   

Quoting aero145 (Reply 48):
I haven’t seen that yet, it must look horrendously stupid!

It is looking horrendously stupid!

What was even better was to "set your lights to level 3" when VW came out with the light adjustment back in the early 1990s. Almost all VW drivers put the light regulator to level 3 when they arrived at a parking lot of a disco or bar because it was some myth that it looked way cooler when the headlights glowed low and short in front of your car.  

I admit, I did the same. It was kind of a standard move back then... so as you would set the blinker.

Patrick