Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

n229nw
Topic Author

Good German Comedy!

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:54 pm

Germany hasn't exactly been famous for its comedy    or for that matter for having quality TV... (Actually, what ever happened to Andreas who used to post on A.net? He was pretty funny...but I digress...)

10-15 years ago, it seemed that most German TV comedy was basically bad, predictable slapstick along the lines of the "carry on" model.   

So imagine my surprise recently when I came across a great German TV comedy sketch show: Ladykracher.

Anke Engelke is hilarious. She's an excellent character actress and the writing is very consistent. It is of course based on the British model of absurd twists made normal and vice versa, but that's why it's good.

Congratulations Germany! I deem you officially funny.    You can now touch my monkey, to quote Dieter from Sprockets.

What say you Germans? If I like this, what else would I like?

[Edited 2010-07-25 12:57:18]

NoUFO

RE: Good German Comedy!

Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Don't have a TV anymore. That thing died during the semi-finals and I don't think I'm going to get a new one. Guess why.

I never liked comedy, save Monty Python's Flying Circus, and it feels like I have seen each sketch for about 2.417 times. So even they stop being funny.
The only German comedian I like (well somewhat) is/was Loriot.

petertenthije

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Quoting n229nw (Thread starter):
or for that matter for having quality TV

That's a bit unfair. Their police series (krimis) are usually pretty good.

Never noticed a good German comedy though. Even show formats directly copied from abroad are usually bad. For instance the German version of "Have I got news for you". Maybe I'll try the show you mentioned.

racko

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Stromberg (German version of "The Office") is quite good, imho actually better than the original.

PanHAM

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:04 am

The best one currently is "Switch re-loaded".

Absolutely hilarious, runs on Pro7 Tuesdays at 10h15 pm, first of 8 current started last week.

TheSonntag

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:29 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 1):

True classic.

Quoting racko (Reply 3):
Stromberg (German version of "The Office") is quite good, imho actually better than the original.

Absolutely.

Quoting n229nw (Thread starter):
having quality TV.

Depends on what. The public channels are among the best in the world regarding daily news (Tagesschau) and some documentation. Technical standards and production quality (seen from a pure technical point of view) are among the best in the world, as well.

Regarding german movies and films, you can usually see the budget difference when compared to the US series. Obviously the budget of CSI miami is much higher than that of most german criminal TV series.

The german criminal series are good, though, especially Tatort is a classic, which always refers to actual, modern developments of the german society.

I agree that most german comedy sucks. But Switch is cool. Especially try to look for Obersalzberg. It is a hilarious parody of Stromberg showing Hitler as a wannabe chef. Absolutely not political correct and quite funny, but in order to understand the jokes you need to watch Stromberg first, because Hitlers comments in "Obersalzberg" are a direct reference to the original comments of Stromberg on issues.

Best comedy I know is Danish. Dolph the fascist hippo. Watching the H.C. Andersen parody is worth learning Danish. But that is going off-topic now.

PanHAM

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:51 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 5):
Quoting NoUFO (Reply 1):

True classic.

Loriot is truly a classic, but I would not call him a "comedian" because by that we put him in the same line with a lot of very low class acts. Loriot is equal if not better than Monthy Python and his congenial partner, the late Evelyn Hamann was absolutely hilarious in many sketches. Like the TV lady announcing a British crime movie with all the "th's" - from Nether Featherstone to Lord Hesketh-Fortescue....

TheSonntag

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:45 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 6):

You are absolutely right, of course... (Es saugt und bläst der Heinzelmann, wo Mutti sonst nur blasen kann  - sorry mods, thats absolutely impossible to translate)

columba

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 4):

This is the only German show I can watch...I like a lot of comedies but they are all English/American series like 30Rock, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Bored To Death, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, IT Crowd and the usual Family Guy and Simpsons

Most German Comedies - incl. Lady Kracher - is really stupid and predictable in my opinion. This weekend though I have seen the worst "Elton Vs Simon"

PanHAM

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 pm

I met Elton once on a trade show in Cologne where he walked with a camera from stand to stand and made stupid comments on the items he saw and he did not have a clue what he was talking about. To say that he's not the brightest bulb in the box would be a compliment, he's simply as thick as a brick.

Quoting columba (Reply 8):
Family Guy

my personal favorite, especially Stewie and Brian. Not to forget South Park.

columba

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 9):
my personal favorite, especially Stewie and Brian. Not to forget South Park.

But only in English, Family Guy in German is horrible.....South Park in German is okay, I like Eric Cartman´s German voice.
I just discovered 30Rock and have seen the 1st and 2nd Season on DVD over the last few weeks. If you find the time watch it. I am surprised over the huge number of guest appearances Steve Martin, Al Gore, Jennifer Aniston, David Swimmer, Jerry Seinfeld, Salma Hayek, Connan O´Brian etc.....

Also add American Dad to my list, my favorite Band "My Morning Jacket" made a guest appearance on that show so it got much higher on the list of my favorite TV shows

LH459

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Loriot is equal if not better than Monthy Python and his congenial partner, the late Evelyn Hamann was absolutely hilarious in many sketches.

Couldn't agree more! They were just as funny as any British comedy, but yet very distinctly German.

PanHAM

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Quoting columba (Reply 10):
But only in English, Family Guy in German is horrible.....South Park in German is okay, I like Eric Cartman´s German voice.

yes, agreed.

American dad is OK as well.

TheSonntag

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:40 pm

aloges

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:23 pm

Does anyone else like Oliver Kalkofe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbKyIsKe5BY

Sabena332

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:42 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 1):
That thing died during the semi-finals and I don't think I'm going to get a new one.

What?  Wow! When that had happened to me, I had probably walked helpless and disoriented through our hallway while shouting something like: "I need help, someone has to call the police, I can't watch the World Cup anymore! Heeeeeeeelp!".  

Patrick

andz

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:12 pm

I saw Benny Hill in German a few years ago, I was floored.

Sabena332

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 pm

By the way, does anyone remember Stefan Raab's Saturday night show on VIVA? It is approx. 15 years or so ago and the show was running every second Saturday night from 8pm till 10pm. He always had pretty funny guests who didn't fit together at all, I remember one show with Bata Illic, Westbam, Thorsten Legat, and some other dude.

The best was the series "Ullei aus Amerika". Some dude and his Indian friend pretended to make a big tour through India. The pretended to report from different Indian cities every week but you could clearly see that it was filmed in Germany.  In the last episode they pretended to drive with a rikshaw back to Germany. This Ullei guy asked the Indian guy 1000 questions during the ride but the Indian guy's answer was always: "No problem, 50 Rupees!". It was made so poorly that it was actually friggin' hillarious!   

Patrick

NoUFO

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:35 pm

From Loriot down to Stefan Raab, now that's quite a fall.

Loriot is truly a classic, but I would not call him a "comedian"

But rather ...?
There can be good and bad comedians.

aloges

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 18):
Loriot is truly a classic, but I would not call him a "comedian"

But rather ...?

Satirist, perhaps? "Comedy" wasn't around in Germany when Loriot was active, that started with the (in)famous Frühstyxradio IMHO.

NoUFO

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 19):
Satirist, perhaps? "Comedy" wasn't around in Germany when Loriot was active,

The "Comedy" TV-format wasn't around, that's correct.

LTU932

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 14):
Does anyone else like Oliver Kalkofe?

Kalkofe should become chancellor!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIeEEFpEPxQ

n229nw
Topic Author

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 1):
That thing died during the semi-finals and I don't think I'm going to get a new one. Guess why.

Because you threw it out the window when Germany lost?

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 1):
I never liked comedy

Don't reinforce any national stereotypes or anything...   

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 1):
Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 13):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy5KvRgNOiw

Love it

OK, this has some excellent parts. I like the grandchild of unknown gender bit most of all. And the nuclear meltdown.

I clicked on a few of the Loriot links.

My favorite is the two guys in the bath cartoon.

"Nein! Mit Ihnen teilt meine Ente das Wasser nicht!"   

better than Monthy Python

That, however, is heresy, sacrilege. You will be punished, probably struck down by a white bearded God animated by Terry Gilliam. Or perhaps by being thrown into a lake, and if you float, you are a witch...   

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 2):
Their police series (krimis) are usually pretty good.

Some are, I guess. They have pretty much taken every police show in every language ever and dubbed it into German by now, and when necessary scraped the bottom of the barrel though, no?

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 4):

I will check this out on Youtube next...

Dolph the fascist hippo.

That sounds hilarious. But then Danish sounds hilarious no matter what they are saying.      Have you heard "Albi the Racist Dragon" by Flight of the Conchords?

[Edited 2010-07-26 15:13:21]

NoUFO

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:26 pm

Quoting n229nw (Reply 22):
Because you threw it (my TV) out the window when Germany lost?

A TV should withstand that and be built accordingly!!

Don't reinforce any national stereotypes or anything...

Too late I guess.
An American starts a thread on German humor and then some Germans come in and start a debate on whether Loriot is a comedian, satirist or something else.
Than again, that's almost funny too.

LH459

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 23):
An American starts a thread on German humor and then some Germans come in and start a debate on whether Loriot is a comedian, satirist or something else.

I'm taking it one step further: I would regard Loriot as a humorist!   

aloges

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:15 am

Dolph the fascist hippo.

OK... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ONOw-x-VF4

I'm not sure I follow.   

aloges

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:19 am

Like the TV lady announcing a British crime movie with all the "th's" - from Nether Featherstone to Lord Hesketh-Fortescue....

just for the fun of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHaW-KxA0sg

n229nw
Topic Author

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:39 am

Quoting LH459 (Reply 24):
Quoting NoUFO (Reply 23):

I'm taking it one step further: I would regard Loriot as a humorist!

Hmmm, don't you think he is rather a post-Hegelian materialist, with strong influences from Feuerbach?  angel 

Quoting aloges (Reply 25):
Dolph the fascist hippo.

OK... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ONOw-x-VF4

I'm not sure I follow.

I found a couple of Dolph videos with subtitles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkfPOLa6zVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBT_gFPvhOs&feature=related

According to the English wikipedia, Rocco the beaver claims to have had sex with the National Museum of Denmark, among other people and things...  rotfl 

[Edited 2010-07-27 03:26:22]

TheSonntag

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:27 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 25):
I'm not sure I follow.

This is an ironic reference to certainl left-wing hippis from Danish culture, like the people who founded Christiania. They are living in a Collective on this farm, and Dolph shows how he wants to "improve" their life with his baseball bat.

Sorry for bringing it off-topic, but Dolph alone is it worth that you learn Danish  

PanHAM

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:24 pm

hat, however, is heresy, sacrilege. You will be punished, probably struck down by a white bearded God animated by Terry Gilliam. Or perhaps by being thrown into a lake, and if you float, you are a witch...

As punishment I accept marching exercises at the Ministry of Funny Walks and I will polish John Cleese's shoes for the next 3 years and I will not mention the war.

Quoting Andz (Reply 16):
I saw Benny Hill in German a few years ago, I was floored.

Humptydumptydiddledidei

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 18):
But rather ...?
There can be good and bad comedians.

An artist. He is an actor, a director, a writer, a cartoonist a humorist, in short, a genius.

Who else could have achieved that a fictionary animal (the stone louse) he created for a sketch about a famous TV zoologist made its way into the medical dictionary Pschyrembel, with latin name and all? The sketch as so authentic that zoologist later believed that he had done that himself.

Indeed he stands far above to what is labeled "comedian" in German.

PanHAM

Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:49 pm

Just want to add the latin name of the stone louse. The gluttonous little fellow is named Petrophaga Loriotiis  

n229nw
Topic Author

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 28):
Sorry for bringing it off-topic, but Dolph alone is it worth that you learn Danish

So I've been walking around for the last two days periodically breaking into laughter at the very thought of Dolph the Fascist Hippo. Even though I can't understand anything he says (except "100% a**holes!"), it is just the name itself, and the very idea of a giant powder-blue hippo that spouts fascist gobbledygook is pretty damn hilarious. I have to give it that. From what I look at of the series in passing, it seems that some of the jokes might get a bit predictable and repetitive though. Do they manage to find ways to keep it fresh? And if so, how?

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 29):

As punishment I accept marching exercises at the Ministry of Funny Walks and I will polish John Cleese's shoes for the next 3 years and I will not mention the war.

I'm not sure if you can get off that lightly. I realize, in retrospect, that the only proper punishment for heresy is to face....THE SPANISH INQUISITION! We'll see if the comfy chair won't make you repent!

PanHAM

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:40 am

Well, in view of the severity of the punishment I wave the white flag and concede that Monthy Python and Loriot are absoluetely equal and playng on the same level. Can I buy a house in Nether Featherstone next to Lord Hesketh - Fontescue's now?

TheSonntag

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:01 am

Quoting n229nw (Reply 31):
From what I look at of the series in passing, it seems that some of the jokes might get a bit predictable and repetitive though. Do they manage to find ways to keep it fresh? And if so, how?

Indeed thats an issue. Since I don't live in Denmark anymore, I cannot say how it is today. Still the funnyest thing ever was the Hans Christian Andersen special of 2004...