Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

Chelsa Clinton's Big Wedding

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:37 am

It is a sure thing that this Saturday, Chelsa Clinton, the only child-daughter of former President Bill Clinton and current Sec. of State Hillary Clinton is marrying in Rhinebeck, NY, Marc Mezrmsky, the child of 2 former members of Congress.

For weeks there has been attempts to keep the covers on this wedding, probably in part for security and to keep some decourm as to the media. That included rumors of this being a cover location, the real wedding is to be held on the island of Martha Vinyard. The estimated 400-500 person Guest list will include a number of Hollywood celebs as well as current and past political leaders (including from outside the USA). Allegedly Pres. Obama was invited but he decline for good reason.

My main reason for this post is that there is some serious issues about this wedding, from the ethical to it's obscene costs, to the security nightmare to the area as well as becoming food for both the left and right wing commentators.

First of all, is the alleged cost to the Clinton family and taxpayers of this wedding, with a minimum amount estimated at $2 Million or up for the family and probably another $500k for police, Secret Service costs, the costs of having a 'no-fly' zone over the area of the wedding. The alleged site of the reception, at the huge former estate of the Astor family, once one of the richest families in the USA (and even with recent conterversy over the remaining assets of the family) suggests an affininty for being with the rich. While it may save some small businesses and employ a large number of people for a few days, it really is a serious issue to have such a big, extragvant and costly wedding at a time when we have 20% real unemployment, millions losing their homes, many who can't get married because they are broke and so on.

There are significant ethical issues of such an wedding, involving where the mother of the bride is a sitting member of the Cabinet, as Sec. of State as well as a father who is a former President. There are obious questions as to who is invited can have access to what are some of the most powerful persons in the world. Of course, the gifts can be seen as bribes. I would note that the father of the groom was forced out of his Congressional seat over allegations of bribary/improper campaign contributions.

The guests include many of their biggest contributors to the parents' respective political campaigns, thus this exclusive access is a payback for those contributions. That raises some more ethical conflicts.

There is the costs, inconvenince, the hassles and security lockdown the areas residents have been are are facing. Too bad they didn't get married in NY City, a place that can better handle the crowds.

Please understand that I am glad that the couple is getting married. I just wish this was a much more low key, smaller, far less expensive and less ethically challanging affair.

soon7x7

RE: Chelsa Clinton's Big Wedding

Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:47 pm

This is another blatant slap in the face to the "little people" here in the US by the "haves". Since this administration wants trickle down affluence to help out the "have nots"/...(many illegals in this nexus)...then they should be all over this. So should the press...Tomorrow a TFR will be issued for the above airspace for 12 hours. Federal Airspace will be closed for the daughter of a now post president civilian!...What utter nonsense.

Quoting Ltbewr (Thread starter):
Please understand that I am glad that the couple is getting married. I just wish this was a much more low key, smaller, far less expensive and less ethically challenging affair.

I could care less about their marriage...to spend $550,000.00 on flowers is criminal...The politicians will tout that for the weekend, they created local jobs...and so on...Just because politicians don their suits and ties everyday does not except them from earning the title of being criminals. I have more respect for the mob. This fiasco is every bit an insult as the acceptance of the GND ZERO mosque ordeal by the very same people. While I am on my 20th month of unemployment, everyday try to gain work, designed a website to try to run a business, but to no avail...I'm afraid of loosing my home...and my country! Please someone try to explain to me what is going on here as Glenn Beck lost me a long time ago. We are not supposed to post replies in anger so I'll be PC and just call it ..."displaced pleasure"....ARGH!....   

PanHAM

Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:52 pm

the costs of having a 'no-fly' zone over the area of the wedding. The alleged site of the reception, at the huge former estate of the Astor

Has anybody alerted the Red Baron?

futurepilot16

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 1):
I could care less about their marriage...to spend $550,000.00 on flowers is criminal...The politicians will tout that for the weekend, they created local jobs...and so on...Just because politicians don their suits and ties everyday does not except them from earning the title of being criminals. I have more respect for the mob. This fiasco is every bit an insult as the acceptance of the GND ZERO mosque ordeal by the very same people. While I am on my 20th month of unemployment, everyday try to gain work, designed a website to try to run a business, but to no avail...I'm afraid of loosing my home...and my country! Please someone try to explain to me what is going on here as Glenn Beck lost me a long time ago. We are not supposed to post replies in anger so I'll be PC and just call it ..."displaced pleasure"....ARGH!....

That's kinda how life is. Some of us are unemployed looking for a job, while a bunch of uneducated retards are getting paid $30,000 per episode on a new reality T.V. show.

It is a sure thing that this Saturday, Chelsa Clinton, the only child-daughter of former President Bill Clinton and current Sec. of State Hillary Clinton is marrying in Rhinebeck, NY, Marc Mezrmsky, the child of 2 former members of Congress.

I don't see the big deal. My problem is the fact that when all the rich people get together and break bread, how much is it costing taxpayers? I mean it's fine if they want to spend $5 million on their daughter's wedding, but what about police officers in that area who will be otherwise distracted. You even mentioned something about airspace.

soon7x7

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 3):
You even mentioned something about airspace.

The above airspace will be TFR'd. (temporary flight restrictions). Another words...stay away....or else!

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 2):
Has anybody alerted the Red Baron?

He has already replied to his invite and is attending...Celebs, notables and beaurocrats only...sounds like fun...

DocLightning

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:47 pm

It's a massive society wedding.

I happen to know both the bride and groom personally and believe me, my guess is they're caught in the middle of this.

And no, I was not invited. I don't know them THAT well.

varigb707

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:22 pm

I wonder if the D.C. party crashers will attend this event....  

Cadet57

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:30 pm

his is another blatant slap in the face to the "little people" here in the US by the "haves".

Seriously? Thats a bit rich. I'm definitely one of those little people, but it's their wedding. Who cares. If they have it, let them spend it.

to spend $550,000.00 on flowers is criminal...

No, its not criminal. What law did they break? So they spent $500g's on flowers. Who cares?

vikkyvik

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:35 pm

So is a daughter of a sitting cabinet member and a former president not supposed to get married? Or is she supposed to wait until her parents are completely out of public service?

Please understand that I am glad that the couple is getting married. I just wish this was a much more low key, smaller, far less expensive and less ethically challanging affair.

Rich people sometimes have expensive weddings. High society people sometimes have giant, high-key weddings. I am neither rich nor high-society, and will likely have neither an expensive nor high-key wedding. But I don't care at all if others choose to do so. I might think it's in bad taste (actually, I don't really care), but no one ever said that everyone has to have good taste.

As for the ethics part of it - it'd probably be damn near impossible to prove, so really, why worry about it?

photopilot

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Chelsea who? Ho hummmmmmm....... an American "Royal" Wedding. Pardon me if I'm ROTFLMAO and all the little people thinking this is something important to the world.

EMBQA

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 9):

The only news worthy part of this whole deal is the other poor girl in the area getting married on the same day. She is worried.. even more so now that it's been confirmed... that all the added security, gawkers, press and traffic will make her wedding a nightmare. They're also worried that guests will not be able to get to the correct wedding or be redirected. I saw the story on the news this past weekend. I'll try and find a link

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:05 pm

I love the rumors flying around that Chelsea is having nervous breakdowns and panic attacks and is worried her future husband will cheat on here. As Rush Limbaugh said yesterday, "Now where would she get an idea like that?"   

Aeri28

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:11 pm

Chelsea who? Ho hummmmmmm....... an American "Royal" Wedding. Pardon me if I'm ROTFLMAO and all the little people thinking this is something important to the world.

Who said it was important to the world. It's a wedding that happens to be happening. Media covers. People listen or don't listen. Obviously you had enough interest that you entered into this thread and commented lol.

Anyway, whether or not one has interest in this is a matter of personal opinion. Clinton was President for 8 years and many watched Chelsea grow up from a gangly teenager to a lovely young woman. The family has been a part of American politics for several decades. Let them have the wedding of their choosing. It's theirs, not ours.

DocLightning

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 11):
I love the rumors flying around that Chelsea is having nervous breakdowns and panic attacks and is worried her future husband will cheat on here. As Rush Limbaugh said yesterday, "Now where would she get an idea like that?"

Chelsea and Mez (that's what we called him in college) have been an item forever. Oh, they were "just friends," but they've been best friends forever. Finally, the two of them saw the light and are tying the knot. We all tried to tell them that Freshman year (well, and they got all pissy about it).

A good marriage is a marriage between best friends. I think this one will last.

And if her father hadn't been the President it wouldn't even be news, so why don't we leave them alone?

PSA53

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Anybody remember Jenna Bush(Hagar) wedding? Oh,sorry.She's s daughter from the other side That doesn't deserve the same coverage.Not royalty.

EMBQA

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:56 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 14):

That's because it was private and all the Hollywood and DC fakes were not there. It was also just held on the ranch... not the bastion area of this country that bleeds money. They invited real friends.. not the type that take more interest on being on 'the list' then being with those they care about and sharing the day with with them. Doc.. you read like you've known them since the early college days. Hope you got an invitation.

[Edited 2010-07-29 13:25:59]

propilot83

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:22 pm

I heard Obama was not invited, I know why, because the Clinton's like to keep things personal and immediate family only. Plus Obama said "If I were invited, we would have two President's and the whole security apparatus would be a headache, the Secret Service issue and gifts being opened and etc, the crowd would be a chaos." He also said that none of the ladies of "The View" would be invited to his daughters weddings either. President Clinton was the last President to receive lifetime protection, the last Bush President and from there on, would only receive 10 years of Secret Service protection.

UAL747

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Why is this such a big deal? The right wants to make it a big deal, but other than the secret service (which mind you, is granted to them as it has been for everyone else), and the police, the Clinton's are footing the bill. It's not like the taxpayer is paying for the tents, champagne and cake.

As far as the "hollywood types." Sorry republicans, the majority of Hollywood ARE liberal democrats and are good friends with the Clinton's and have done much with them on the humanitarian side.

Trust me, I'm sure Jenna's wedding was full of the typical Bush oil tycoons and Saudi Bazillionaires. Not to mention the CONSTANT no fly zone over the ranch as well as the cost to get Mr. and Mrs. Bush down there via Airforce One, and the military and logistics involved with the wedding of a daugther of a SITTING president.

BOOO HISSS........move on people, nothing out of the ordinary. Just a bunch of Fox News pundits trying to milk it for all they can.

UAL

PSA53

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 19):
As far as the "hollywood types." Sorry republicans, the majority of Hollywood ARE liberal democrats and are good friends with the Clinton's and have done much with them on the humanitarian side.

Gimmie a break!

So,that is also you're big money,right?

At least the Repubs are up front with their big money.Gee-wiz.

Update:Yahoo says that wedding could hit 3 million dollars.Sounds like to me people are anxious to line up to see the the "Godmother" herself who can't refuse a favor on her daughters wedding. Take a number!

[Edited 2010-07-29 17:16:57]

AirframeAS

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Why can't they just have a simple wedding and be done with it?? Many people do simple weddings and it doesn't cost a whole lot to do.....at all!

Paying $2M+ just to say "I do" is just a pure waste of money.... Saying "I do' (or don't....) takes less than 3 seconds....

If you ask me, I think this whole "wedding" is more of a political thing than two people actually in love with each other....sort of like how it was back in 1200-1700's Europe. But what do I care (other than the $2M price tag, my god!).....

UAL747

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:20 am

Other than the taxpayer's stuff, is it really any of your business what they pay for their one and only daughter's wedding?

And yeah, while the Republicans have their Oil Tycoons and Saudi Billionaire friends, the dems have their big money friends too. What are you talking about being upfront about it?

I do not understand why this is a political discussion or why it even matters....it's their money, let them spend it how they see fit. They are definitely stimulating the economy with this.

It just irks me. My sister had an expensive wedding and people made it their business to bash it. While it wasn't 2 million, it was definitely a lot for a wedding. It was beautiful and something everyone will remember. But for people to go back and forth on my dad for what he paid for my sister's wedding is just crappy trashy gossip. And so is this.

PSA53

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:38 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 22):
And yeah, while the Republicans have their Oil Tycoons and Saudi Billionaire friends, the dems have their big money friends too. What are you talking about being upfront about it?

You're point is taken.But people have right to know about political favors being granted,meaning money,from both sides.With Obama losing favor right now,Hillary Clinton stands to be the Demos best bet in '12.People aren't entirely dumb.You don't think people with big money want to get to Ms.Clinton at the wedding?

It just fact.

[Edited 2010-07-29 17:43:21]

BMI727

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 23):
Obama losing favor right now,Hillary Clinton stands to be the Demos best bet in '12.

It would be a miracle for Hillary to get the nomination over a sitting president.

.You don't think people with big money want to get to Ms.Clinton at the wedding?

If their money is that big they don't need a wedding to get an audience with Hillary. Furthermore, I believe that the Clintons have more tact than to turn their daughter's wedding into a political event.

UAL747

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:58 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 25):
But I guess saying "Fox News pundits" is more catchy, right?

Well...of course!  

soon7x7

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:36 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 26):

Nothing wrong with Fox news...they are the only ones delivering anything that matters, other than BBC, Europe...Oh!...thats right...the obama administration doesn't recognize "Fox" as credible...Conversly, I don't recognize obama as credible either...

and all the little people thinking this is something important to the world.

Not really, we see this pompous, pretentious "A" list behavior all the time. It's summer in New York.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 7):
No, its not criminal. What law did they break? So they spent $500g's on flowers. Who cares?

I never said they broke a law..."criminal"...used as a figure of speech. Your correct though, who cares, I don't, but I still think $550,000.00 on flowers is criminal.

UAL747

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:54 am

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 27):
I never said they broke a law..."criminal"...used as a figure of speech. Your correct though, who cares, I don't, but I still think $550,000.00 on flowers is criminal.

Only because it's waaay out of your budget. Who cares?

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:11 am

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 27):
I still think $550,000.00 on flowers is criminal.

Not if you're the florist who gets the business from it.   

Ken777

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:39 am

Forget the complaints.

A Mom and Dad are paying for the wedding of their only child and can afford the costs of their daughter's dreams.

And each dollar spent will be revenues for individuals and companies, even the florist will be issuing purchase orders and paying invoices. That part is called "commerce" in this country - something those who believe in the market place should be praising.

When our only daughter got married we sure didn't spend half a mil, but we supported our daughter's wishes for a very nice, moderately priced wedding. My wife made the wedding dress because she wanted to, and that's also what our daughter wanted. I used a LOT of frequent flyer miles for family and everyone had a grand time.

No international dignitaries for us. The Clintons, because of their friendships and positions, may well have a few. I don't see that as a big problem. Actually I would bet that there are a lot of fairly important people in this world who would love to have received an invitation. The guest list, if released in the future, will be a very interesting read.

I don't see "bribes" here at all. I do see the current administration working to re-build relationships and there may be some invitations that "avoid changing the current direction" of the administration. BFD.

ual747den

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:21 am

While it may save some small businesses and employ a large number of people for a few days, it really is a serious issue to have such a big, extragvant and costly wedding at a time when we have 20% real unemployment, millions losing their homes, many who can't get married because they are broke and so on.

Are you joking! Chelsa is supposed to plan her marriage around the current unemployment rate? She has money, her parents have money, they can spend it how they see fit.

There are significant ethical issues of such an wedding, involving where the mother of the bride is a sitting member of the Cabinet, as Sec. of State as well as a father who is a former President. There are obious questions as to who is invited can have access to what are some of the most powerful persons in the world. Of course, the gifts can be seen as bribes. I would note that the father of the groom was forced out of his Congressional seat over allegations of bribary/improper campaign contributions.

There are no ethical issues, this is her wedding!

The guests include many of their biggest contributors to the parents' respective political campaigns, thus this exclusive access is a payback for those contributions. That raises some more ethical conflicts.

The guests are their close friends, I would imagine that their close friends most likely do contribute the max allowed to their campaign, is this surprising to you?

Who cares what you wish its not your wedding. When I got married my wife didn't even bother to ask me what I wanted besides some random person that finds a need to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

Federal Airspace will be closed for the daughter of a now post president civilian!...What utter nonsense.

Airspace will be closed as a matter of national security. The Secretary of State is her Mother and will be attending along with the former President of the United States. I'm sure there will also be many members of Congress in attendance, so this would be a big target, that is why the airspace will be closed. This is routine

I could care less about their marriage...to spend $550,000.00 on flowers is criminal

They have the money to spend and they can spend it any way they want. It is very traditional for the father of the bride to spend an outrageous amount of money on his daughters wedding. This is the last time he will pay her way so it should be a big deal.

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 3):
I mean it's fine if they want to spend $5 million on their daughter's wedding, but what about police officers in that area who will be otherwise distracted.

The police force will be paid for with private money.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 21):
Why can't they just have a simple wedding and be done with it?? Many people do simple weddings and it doesn't cost a whole lot to do.....at all!

Paying $2M+ just to say "I do" is just a pure waste of money.... Saying "I do' (or don't....) takes less than 3 seconds....

If you ask me, I think this whole "wedding" is more of a political thing than two people actually in love with each other....sort of like how it was back in 1200-1700's Europe. But what do I care (other than the $2M price tag, my god!).....

Some people don't want simple weddings. Its really not about what you like or what anyone other than the bride wants. If she wants a huge expensive wedding and her Father is able to do that for her than fine. Enjoy it!

With Obama losing favor right now,Hillary Clinton stands to be the Demos best bet in '12.

You know nothing about American politics!

____________________________________________________________________________________

I don't see a problem with this wedding at all. This is her day and she can have any kind of wedding she wants. Most girls dream of a big wedding and the whole princess thing, her family has the money to give it to her and they will.

When I got married it was a big expensive wedding too. Nothing like this but expensive for what I am used to. My wife always dreamed of having a big beach side wedding and she is Daddy's little girl and Daddy is very wealthy so she got it. Her family has summer homes in Naples so she found an amazing location on a beach front golf course at one of the areas most expensive hotels and had her Dad convince them to close it for her to have a wedding! She planned every detail and loved every moment of it. Family was flown in and stayed at a HUGE mansion that was rented for the wedding and everyone enjoyed themselves. After we were married and enjoying the bar a groomsmen from another wedding party came over and politely asked us if he could buy a few drinks from our bar because theirs was already closed and he was not ready to stop parting, we invited the wedding party over only to find out that it was the daughter of Mr. Forbes himself! We drank and had a great time that night! I will never forget it!
Now I personally could have never paid for this kind of wedding. It was something beyond what even my family could have ever afforded but my father-in-law could and did. He wanted to do something very special for his daughter before he gave her away to start her own life. I think it shows a lot of love and its a great way to start a new life together. One day when my daughters get married I hope to be able to do the same for them.

NorthstarBoy

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:34 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):
why don't we leave them alone?

It's basic human psychology, people want to know what other people are doing behind closed doors. I'm sure that if the happy couple had published their entire wedding as a supplement to the NY times, complete with bios of invited guests, recipes for the food being served, details of the gown, the ring, the cake, and what was in the gift bags, people would just go "ho hum," and move on, their curiosity having been satisfied. But, because they're being so "private" or secretive about it, to the point that the vendors actually have to sign confidentiality agreements (which seems more than a little obsessive to me) that makes people naturally want to know why they're being so private or secretive.

Anyway, while i have great respect and admiration for Bill and Hillary, I lost all respect for chelsea when she told off a little kid at one of her mother's political events. After that incident, Chelsea Clinton in my mind is synonymous with B----h.

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:48 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 32):
Anyway, while i have great respect and admiration for Bill and Hillary, I lost all respect for chelsea when she told off a little kid at one of her mother's political events. After that incident, Chelsea Clinton in my mind is synonymous with B----h.

Wait. Her father can cheat on his wife and lie under oath about it and yet you have more respect for her father than you do for because she told off a little kid?    How does that even make sense?

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 31):

Not as far fetched as you may think. In 1976 Reagan came very close to beating Ford for the Republican nomination with Ford narrowly winning at the Republican Convention, despite Ford being the sitting President at the time. Ted Kennedy came close to doing the same to Jimmy Carter four years later in 1980 (although not as close as Reagan did to pushing Ford out of the Republican nomination).

I don't know if Hillary or any other Democrat will run, but given the current trends in the poll numbers, I won't be surprised if it happens.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 30):
And each dollar spent will be revenues for individuals and companies, even the florist will be issuing purchase orders and paying invoices. That part is called "commerce" in this country - something those who believe in the market place should be praising.

It may seem excessive to some people, but as a percentage of the Clinton's income and net-worth, I bet it's a smaller percentage than many other couples getting married.

stratosphere

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:01 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 33):
It may seem excessive to some people, but as a percentage of the Clinton's income and net-worth, I bet it's a smaller percentage than many other couples getting married.

I guess thats the point...They are free to spend the money they have any way they want the only problem I would have is the police protection and OT to cover it..If Clinton is covering it and not that tax payer then fine. I think this was an issue at the Michael Jackson funeral if I am not mistaken.

DocLightning

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:17 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 25):
Are you sure that's the reason you weren't invited?

I'd probably provide the groom with better service.

(He was hot in college and he's even hotter now)

AGM100

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:31 pm

I am happy they have the money to do this .... but you do realize that it is tax payers money right ? Hillary is a progressive who rails against the rich ... " I want to take those profits " and wants a government that can like she said ...just take your profit. In the mean time , they have maid milti millions by being government operators. We the people have enriched them ...

I like Chelsea I think she is a class act and has handled her self very well.... I wish them happiness. I am sure they wont have to struggle financially so that helps... he is a investment banker ! good job bro !.

DocLightning

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:40 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 35):
I am happy they have the money to do this .... but you do realize that it is tax payers money right

Incorrect. Once you pay the lawn boy to mow your lawn, it's HIS money.

FlyPNS1

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:32 pm

In the mean time , they have maid milti millions by being government operators. We the people have enriched them ...

Hardly. Most of their wealth isn't derived from their income as President, Senator or Secretary of State. None of those jobs really pay that well compared to the equivalents in the private sector. The CEO of any mid sized company makes more....far more in some cases.

I do think inviting some of the celebs is a little over the top. Are these people really friends of Chelsea or "Mez"? I doubt it. But as long as they are using their own money, I don't really care.

sw733

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:36 pm

If I had the money, and my baby girl was getting married, you better believe no expense would be spared to make her happy on her big day. I don't HAVE the money, but...they do. So, good for them.

PSA53

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 30):
With Obama losing favor right now,Hillary Clinton stands to be the Demos best bet in '12.

I guess not. Nor does 60 mins(CBS).They asked the same question.

AirframeAS

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 30):
Some people don't want simple weddings. Its really not about what you like or what anyone other than the bride wants. If she wants a huge expensive wedding and her Father is able to do that for her than fine. Enjoy it!

If she is the one that wanted a huge wedding, then she is more like "My wedding is better than your wedding", to put it mildly... All in all, I think this wedding is a sham. It's all about the almighty dollar and power, not love.

sw733

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 40):
If she is the one that wanted a huge wedding, then she is more like "My wedding is better than your wedding", to put it mildly... All in all, I think this wedding is a sham. It's all about the almighty dollar and power, not love.

A good chunk of women would kill for a big, beautiful, expensive wedding for the simple fact that they have dreamed about it since being a little girl...they grew up imagining it, dressing up for it, playing with it. Most never get to actually LIVE that fantasy, but a few do. I say, good for them...they truly get a dream come true.

I think it is stupid to spend $100,000 on a wedding when you don't make that much in a whole year...but, this is not Joe and Jane Smith from Erie, PA...this is the Clinton Family...they have the money.

ual747den

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:40 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 32):
Not as far fetched as you may think. In 1976 Reagan came very close to beating Ford for the Republican nomination with Ford narrowly winning at the Republican Convention, despite Ford being the sitting President at the time. Ted Kennedy came close to doing the same to Jimmy Carter four years later in 1980 (although not as close as Reagan did to pushing Ford out of the Republican nomination).

I don't know if Hillary or any other Democrat will run, but given the current trends in the poll numbers, I won't be surprised if it happens.

Obama's numbers are really not as bad as the Teabaggers would like everyone to think they are. One big reason his number don't look so hot right now is because he is not campaigning. When he gets out there and starts to campaign for the election his numbers will shoot back up again. The Republican party is so split up and fragmented right now that this is the Democrats election to lose. There is no way the Dems are going to fragment the party and make the same mistakes the Republicans have made, especially not the Sec of State going against the President. Hilliary doesn't need to worry, she will get her chance to play with hot intern boys after Obama is done with his second term!

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 34):
I'd probably provide the groom with better service.

(He was hot in college and he's even hotter now)

I don't know what you were responding to but this made me laugh! What kind of service are you thinking of providing the groom with that will be so good........?   

I am happy they have the money to do this .... but you do realize that it is tax payers money right ?

No its not tax payers money.

Why is it bad for her to want a huge wedding? I cannot understand how you can judge someone by the size and cost of their wedding. As I pointed out before I had a huge wedding and my wife is not a bad person at all. It was what she dreamed of and her father was able to give that to her and she was very happy. We will always remember that day and she will always remember it as being exactly what she wanted. When my girls get married one day if they want a big elaborate wedding I will do everything in my power to make that happen.

Now you comments about the wedding being a sham and not about love I find completely out of line. Just because she is having an expensive wedding does not mean she doesn't love this man. I love my wife VERY much and she loves me back even though we had a big wedding.

blrsea

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:43 pm

People don't need to come to a wedding to cut deals, as some imply. There are hundreds of ways people could meet and do deals, outside of weddings.

As regards to security, are the people in power not entitled to attend any personal functions? If Hillary and Bill were to attend a marraige of any other senate member, the security would be the same there too.

Fly2HMO

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Oh for freak's sake, it's not like they deviated a bunch of government funds just to pay for the wedding. Sure, "we the people" pay their salaries, retirement benefits and what not, but once the money is in their personal possession, they're free to use/waste it in whatever they want. It may be overkill but if they have the money then sure, why the heck not.

My parent's wedding was attended by 700 people. Nobody complained. And yes, taxpayer money was technically involved (Mom's dad was a army general,but it came out of his pocket directly obviously)

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 22):

I do not understand why this is a political discussion or why it even matters....it's their money, let them spend it how they see fit. They are definitely stimulating the economy with this.

It just irks me. My sister had an expensive wedding and people made it their business to bash it. While it wasn't 2 million, it was definitely a lot for a wedding. It was beautiful and something everyone will remember. But for people to go back and forth on my dad for what he paid for my sister's wedding is just crappy trashy gossip. And so is this.

Couldn't agree more.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 21):

A valid point as well. However, if they have the money, and they want to spend it, then all power to them.

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 44):
(Mom's dad was a army general,but it came out of his pocket directly obviously)

Hey, if you're grandfather was in the Army, he earned that money (and if my math is serving me correctly based on your age, I'm guessing your Grandfather was a WWII or Korea vet?)

DocLightning

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:56 pm

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 42):

I don't know what you were responding to but this made me laugh! What kind of service are you thinking of providing the groom with that will be so good........?

I'd tell you in great detail, but this is a PG-rated board.   

Fly2HMO

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 45):
(and if my math is serving me correctly based on your age, I'm guessing your Grandfather was a WWII or Korea vet?)

He was a Military Neurosurgeon, and even though he could have been a WW2 vet due to age, he wasn't in the US armed forces, nor the Axis forces either  

dxing

Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:41 am

My only questions.....are the bridesmaids dressed in blue???? Will cigars be available at the reception?

mdsh00

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:08 am

Oh good God people get over it! It's a wedding. Yes I think 2-3 million to spend on a wedding is obscene, but it's their money, who cares? And most of that is not from their salaries in public office.

As for the posters getting their panties in a bunch: I come from a culture where 500 guests at a wedding is not at all outrageous. Even my own wedding which to many Americans would deem grandiose, was humble by Indian standards. Our weddings are very large and ornate and yes, many people who were important to my parents (and hers) were present at the wedding, not so much because they were just "business partners," but otherwise important people. Many relationships are made and strengthened because of a wedding, be it personal or not.

Seriously the whining is pointless. These people [Presidents and ex-Presidents] are still human; so just let them enjoy their major celebrations just like the rest of us, even if it's on a much grander scale.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:32 am

Some other interesting tidbits about this wedding:

Apparently Chelsa is an active vegan and has Cellic disease. That mean the catering will not have any meat or animal products and no product with wheat or other grain flour that had gluten in it. Yep, no prime rib or chicken or a real cake.

Almost none of the grooms familiy will be there. His father as congressman (D-Iowa) got convicted for ethical violations it would be very inapparopiate especially with many politicans in attendance.

Yes, there will be a 'no fly' zone in the area. The irony is that from the 1960's to maybe the 1990's, the local airport did weekend shows of WW One or replica WW One aircraft duplicating the dogfight battles they did then. Guess the 'Red Baron' won't be 'dropping in' at the wedding.

All guests and workers will have to turn in any and all phones, PDA's and cameras to prevent unauthorized photos, communications, security issues and annoyance. I also wonder if the family is selling authorized photos to pay for the wedding. Mmmmmm?

The former President appeared in 'downtown' Rhinebeck today and was quickly mobbed by people there. As much as a jerk he was in some ways, people love him maybe because he is flawed.

Someone earlier commented about the wedding of Jenna Bush while her father was in office. You didn't see or hear a media frenzy about it as perhaps they listened to the daughter, kept it mainly to family, didn't make it a huge circus event, did it on a family and very secure property, a place difficult for media to hang around, probably done for maybe a few $100,000. GWB as flawed has he is, did come from a family with some class as to not showing wealth with an outlandish and hyper expensive wedding and he really discouraged the media from nosing into his and his family's private life. Yes, I am a dedicated Democrat, I voted for Bill Clinton both times, (voted for Obama in the Pres. primaries and not Hillary). I am aware of Bill's work as to peace, Haiti, Hurricane afermaths and they can spend money any way they want, but sometimes it is frustrating to see how they don't have some common sense that one does not falunt wealth.

Ken777

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:51 am

Her father can cheat on his wife and lie under oath about it and yet you have more respect for her father than you do for because she told off a little kid?

Panty Sniffers Arise! The Republicans tried very hard to get rid of Clinton, but in the end it was simply a political act. Republicans looked like a bunch of panty sniffers then and still do as far as I'm concerned.

I doubt if the Democrats will put anyone up against Obama in '12. It will, however, be interesting to see how much the Republicans are influenced by Palin and the Tea Party.

but you do realize that it is tax payers money right ?

Tax dollars are continually spent protecting former Presidents. Both of the President Bushes have their Secret Service, as does President Clinton. Hilary probably has a standard protection level that has been used for other SecStates.

If there are guests who would normally receive protection when in this country then I would assume that will be provided.

All in all, I think this wedding is a sham. It's all about the almighty dollar and power, not love.

Really impressive of you to make it clear that Chelsa isn't getting married for love. Now granted she didn't pull a Palin and get knocked up before the wedding, or a Palin Daughter who got knocked up without getting married, Or maybe it's just that her Dad is a Democrat.