Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

zootrix
Topic Author

She's Happily Married But Bugs Me

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:44 pm

I am a single guy (35 yrs) who works for a medium sized financial firm (marketing wing). 5 months ago we just hired a young woman (about 32 yrs) and she is my direct work partner as we work on the same projects. She is also married with kids and from what I can see, she's very happy as she shared photos, anecdotes, etc. about her family with the rest of the work group.

What's a bit intriguing is her behavior towards me. Now, I have absolutely no romantic interest in her and keep my dealings with her very professional. I do flirt around with the girls from other project teams and this simply drives my married worker nuts, to the point that she will interrupt my conversation with other women. Then what follows for a few days is overly aggressive behavior. She becomes very dominating, bossy, dishes petty swipes, mocks me and issues orders on the job with reckless abandon. This typically fades after a few days and the dust settles. I respect the quality of her work and compliment her whenever needed. I've also noticed that she reciprocates similarly and maybe a bit more (trivial things like complimenting me on my clothes, new shirt and similar silly stuff). To be honest, I couldn't care less for personal compliments as long as we get the projects done on time.

I never had such a problem with other women in the office, and, although we work pretty well together, quite often the behavior of this women can be a bit overbearing. (Hey, she's already married with hubby and kids, so now what??)

Any explanations?

Thanks,
zt

Fly2HMO

RE: She's Happily Married But Bugs Me

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:21 pm

Quoting zootrix (Thread starter):
Any explanations?

This sounds very much like several girls I've dealt with. And given this:

I do flirt around with the girls from other project teams and this simply drives my married worker nuts, to the point that she will interrupt my conversation with other women. Then what follows for a few days is overly aggressive behavior. She becomes very dominating, bossy, dishes petty swipes, mocks me and issues orders on the job with reckless abandon. This typically fades after a few days and the dust settles

More than just simple jealousy, I'm willing to bet she has borderline personality disorder.

Avoid like the plague, even if its a seemingly mild case.

NoUFO

Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:16 pm

All I can say is that I feel pretty sorry for her hubby (even more than for you).
I support the right to arm bears

virgin744

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:50 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 1):
Avoid like the plague, even if its a seemingly mild case

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned... (regardless of the fact you arent even in a relationship with this woman) if she is suffering from some sort of personality disorder you could very well be advised to keep your flirting on a low key and avoid making any come-on gestures and remarks to her. Keep it completely professional whenever you are around her.

iairallie

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:19 am

My guess is it has nothing to do with you she just likes attention focused all on her.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Aaron747

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:43 am

Quoting virgin744 (Reply 3):
Keep it completely professional whenever you are around her.

He already said he doesn't do anything other than that around her - and she likely is happily married and has no other intentions. Problem is her self esteem depends entirely on other people - and especially where men are concerned it seems she's not satisfied with being "just another one of the girls".
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

asuflyer05

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:36 am

Sounds like you've become her work husband.

airportugal310

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:10 am

Quoting iairallie (Reply 4):
My guess is it has nothing to do with you she just likes attention focused all on her.

Yup. Attention-whore at her finest.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

mandala499

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:10 am

Quoting asuflyer05 (Reply 6):

Hahaha, spot on. She probably wants a bit of your "flirt pie"... but, the way she goes about it, puts her in the "avoid flirting with her even if it kills you" category... last time it happened to me, I "pretended to flirt" only to put her in a corner and asked what her problem was... however, doing so, carries other (perhaps huge) risks...

I love "workflirt", but not with these types!   
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

unattendedbag

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:21 am

I do flirt around with the girls from other project teams and this simply drives my married worker nuts, to the point that she will interrupt my conversation with other women. Then what follows for a few days is overly aggressive behavior.

This can happen when the male in her household is domineering. She will take out her dislike of being told what to do in her own household - on you at work. It's odd, but some people will reverse roles between home and work, even without being bi-polar.
Slower traffic, keep right

Francoflier

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Any explanations?

Your biggest problem is that you're trying to find one...

...Women cannot be understood.

But do keep ignoring her and flirting the other girls, that'll drive her mad, and if I've any clue about women (I most likely don't), she'll eventually change her tactic to try and grab your attention.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Superfly

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:38 pm

The sad thing is that if it were the other way around, you'd be fired and possibly blacklisted in your career.
Double-standards anyone?

Her hubby is probably sick of her anyway.
When ever someone has to boast about being 'happily married', that is suspect.
Bring back the Concorde

photopilot

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:04 pm

Ok, I'm an Operations Supervisor for a large corporation and manage a pretty large diverse staff of people and I can tell you that you are in a very dangerous position.

A few points......

I have absolutely no romantic interest in her and keep my dealings with her very professional.

This is absolutely the correct attitude you should have with ALL co-workers, period.

I do flirt around with the girls from other project teams and this simply drives my married worker nuts

Without mincing words, you are DEAD WRONG here and are putting yourself at risk. I'm sorry, but in a work environment, and considering the political correctness and human rights type complaints that can be or are filed these days, ANY flirting type behaviour is crossing the line of proper conduct. You clearly state that this is having a negative attitude impact on your co-worker, and if she filed a complaint saying that YOUR flirting (even with others, if she can overhear) is causing HER stress and upset, then YOU are WRONG!!!! It sucks that today's PC work enviroment can go that way, so the answer is quite simple. Stop ALL flirting activities in the workplace.

......trivial things like complimenting me on my clothes, new shirt and similar silly stuff

Silly to you perhaps, but maybe she's jealous that you're flirting with others and not her. Perhaps she's interested in an affair on the side. Maybe her sex life is lousy at home and she wants a little "fun" on the side. But no matter what, it's a very dangerous situation for you. If her jealousy manifests itself into resentment (why won't he pay attention to me) and she already seems to spend several days in a snit as you note, then how long until she might decide to "get even" with you and file a complaint against you?

If I were you, I'd head this off and seek resolution immediately, OR start getting my resume ready for a job search.

First thing I'd do is go and have a chat with someone in the Human Resources department. Outline exactly as you've done here the issues, BUT also clearly tell them that you realize that your harmless flirting seems to bother (and get a reaction) from your co-worker. Promise to stop all future type flirting with everybody. By coming clean in an up-front manner, you forestall any possibility of getting yourself fired if your co-worker files a complaint. You need to nip this in the bud before it gets out of control, and don't kid yourself, it can quickly get that way. By doing nothing, you're leaving your co-worker in control of the situation. (Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned). By taking action yourself, you're in control.

Anyway, that's my thoughts from the Human Resources and management perspective. Hope it helps you make a good decision for yourself.

Steve

airportugal310

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:14 pm

All great points Steve. As someone who has been in the same position as you (not that long ago), I whole heartedly agree.

It seems in today's workplace environments, the most petty and insignificant issues are the biggest cause for trouble. It is best to cut any issues off at the path with HR. It may not seem ideal right now, seeing as it could cause more tension than its worth, but you will save yourself a lot of problems in the long run. Best part - you stand a great chance of keeping your job if she goes postal.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

DeltaMD90

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Maybe you should confront her husband about it   

asuflyer05

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Maybe you should just sleep with her? Sounds like that is what she wants.

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:09 pm

This song describes what she's thinking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBbP2kro-c

ScarletHarlot

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:23 pm

More than just simple jealousy, I'm willing to bet she has borderline personality disorder

Seriously? That's a heck of a leap.

Quoting iairallie (Reply 4):

This is more like it. I suspect she's feeling her age and marital status and does not enjoy feeling unappreciated by you in comparison to the single ladies on the office. So she gets snippy.

Quoting photopilot (Reply 12):
ANY flirting type behaviour is crossing the line of proper conduct. You clearly state that this is having a negative attitude impact on your co-worker,

Basically, you should act equally toward your coworkers. Your unequal treatment is causing conflict. Really, you should shut down the flirting to reduce your own risk and to smooth interactions at work.
But that was when I ruled the world

iairallie

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 10):
But do keep ignoring her and flirting the other girls, that'll drive her mad, and if I've any clue about women (I most likely don't), she'll eventually change her tactic to try and grab your attention.

I think that this is something he is trying to avoid. I don't think he wants her to try to grab his attention. I think he wants to be left alone.

Anyway, that's my thoughts from the Human Resources and management perspective

Lots of good advice here especially the part about keeping it professional with ALL the co-workers. Protect yourself by being beyond reproach in the office even if the other ladies seem receptive to your flirting.

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 17):
Basically, you should act equally toward your coworkers. Your unequal treatment is causing conflict. Really, you should shut down the flirting to reduce your own risk and to smooth interactions at work.

Agreed. Act professionally with everyone.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

zootrix
Topic Author

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Guys, thanks a lot. You've given me some cool advice (some serious, some PC and some outright ROTFLMAO). As I said before, I have absolutely no interest in her and maybe she senses this and that's too bad (she's already married, so handle with care!). Also, barring her at times annoying behavior, she is a pretty good worker and I've complimented her on her work (this is not a conflicting statement about my attitude towards her because in the workplace you may hate some people or a rival but still respect his/her competencies. And, she is not my rival at all, just a co-worker). Let me say that people are not perfect and no workplace is ideal. So we all have to get along. Getting along with her is not that much problem, just that I've observed this behavioral oddity that can make you pause and think, since this hasn't happened with the other women I've worked with.

She is the kind of a woman who has a laid back approach and attitude, very conversational and likes high human interaction. She will always talk to me about her complaints and frustrations in dealing with difficult customers. I give her a very patient hearing because the workplace can be stressful, people need to vent out and I don't mind being her sounding board (that's part of being a good partner too). She does like using cuss words (f**k this, f"""""g that, etc) when no one is around. I do respond to her after she's finished talking, but I sound more like a government bureaucrat speaking corporate jargon.

On the other hand, I am known to be a good stickler for corporate protocol to the point that some people complain that I am too business-like and need to loosen up. My boss has no problems with it and in fact likes me for he himself is an excessively PC loving and is a "by the book" kind of a guy.

As for flirting with other girls, I agree with some of the comments cautioning me to put a stop to it. I know my limits and am aware of what I can and cannot say. Some guys have received warning letters about use of language and sexist remarks at our office. I still haven't despite all these years, so I must be doing something right OR perhaps plain lucky. Sounds funny, but think of my flirtations with other girls as something being done with a "TCAS" radar system that's always ON and knows how to avoid problems at the last minute.

A-netters, I am not losing sleep over this, but just posting a trend that has caught my attention.

Cheers...
zt

EA CO AS

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:08 pm

Quoting zootrix (Reply 19):
Sounds funny, but think of my flirtations with other girls as something being done with a "TCAS" radar system that's always ON and knows how to avoid problems at the last minute.

Here's the thing, though - even though you may not be throwing that flirtation her way, seeing you do that to other women in the office could (in her mind, and that's the key) create a hostile work environment for your co-worker. And that's all she needs for a sexual harassment complaint. Believe me, I've seen it before, have had to counsel employees on it, and you want NO PART OF IT.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Fly2HMO

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:21 pm

Perhaps, but having grown up with a mother with a severe case of that disorder, and gotten entangled with other girls with that problem, I can pick them up from miles away.

At the very least she's an attention whore, that's for sure.

OA412

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Agreed. I don't know that I would go that far.

Quoting photopilot (Reply 12):ANY flirting type behaviour is crossing the line of proper conduct. You clearly state that this is having a negative attitude impact on your co-worker,

I agree with both of these posters. I would suggest that you end the flirting with ALL of the women in your office. You said that you do act professionally with the woman in question, be sure to act completely professionally with every woman in your office.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 20):
Here's the thing, though - even though you may not be throwing that flirtation her way, seeing you do that to other women in the office could (in her mind, and that's the key) create a hostile work environment for your co-worker. And that's all she needs for a sexual harassment complaint.

Indeed. Beyond her claiming a hostile work environment, I can also see the flirting with the other woman backfiring if you were to somehow anger one of them, and they reported that they felt your flirtation to be sexual harassment. Again, my suggestion is don't open yourself up to any of this.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Cadet57

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:24 pm

I do flirt around with the girls from other project teams
But do keep ignoring her

I don't know about you. But any place i've ever worked in flirting can be considered sexual harassment and you could end up on your ass pretty quick.

Without mincing words, you are DEAD WRONG here and are putting yourself at risk.

Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

DeltaMD90

Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:04 pm

I do agree, it's a very PC world out there today. I've flirted and all before, had lots of success, but man have I dodged a few bullets. Also remember that superiors that see you behave like that may be reluctant to put you anywhere near females. I don't agree with my advice, and I hardly follow it, but I do say it can get you in hariy situations. If you can, steer clear of females in the workplace. All it takes is one bad incident........

comorin

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:19 am

This is more like it. I suspect she's feeling her age and marital status and does not enjoy feeling unappreciated by you in comparison to the single ladies on the office. So she gets snippy.

Flirting on the job went out in the 70's, I think:

Superfly

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:36 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 25):
Flirting on the job went out in the 70's, I think:

No it ended in the early 1990s following the Clarence Thomas / Anita Hill hearings in 1991.

The 1970s was a cooler decade though. Back then, this co-worker wouldn't have created so much drama surrounding here attraction for zootrix.
Back then, zootrix and this lady would have just done it and none of these silly mind games would have been associated with it.
Bring back the Concorde

comorin

Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:37 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
The 1970s was a cooler decade though

It sure was! Everyone was high so no tension in the office. It ended suddenly and everything snapped back to Uptight.

Superfly

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:15 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 27):
It ended suddenly and everything snapped back to Uptight.

I blame Reagan!
Bring back the Concorde

Flighty

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:34 am

You guys are being ridiculous. Flirting happens at every large workplace. If both people are not married and not in LTR then I see no real problem. People flirt. Happens.

The real bombshell of this thread is that married women flirt. I remember initially being surprised, a little bit to learn that fact. But many of them absolutely do. Just as married men flirt. She is behaving jealously around you probably because that is a genuine feeling. Since she is paying attention to you, you can use that to get to your goal. You could tell her you "just want us to do our jobs," as a gentle rebuke to tell her to quit it.

Many, many married/LTR couples met, flirted, at work. Many of us were born because of such relationships. Some of us were even born because of adulterous affairs that started at work. This is something people do. As long as it does not interfere with work too much, I see no way to totally shut people down.

My main point is, don't confuse your own social mores (she's married!) with business. Flirting is not illegal. Even at work, school, the military or the post office. Well, maybe the military.  

Superfly

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:38 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 29):
You guys are being ridiculous.

No, the law is ridiculous.
We're just trying to save zootrix from getting in to trouble.
Bring back the Concorde

Fly2HMO

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:43 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 30):

No, the law is ridiculous.
We're just trying to save zootrix from getting in to trouble.

Precisely.

Otherwise my first post would've been:

Hit it!!!!!! 

fxramper

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Any explanations?

Keep it business with all the ladies in the office and you won't have this problem.   

Aesma

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:21 pm

If you don't want the flirting with the other women to go any further (some, like me, flirt because that's how they are) then flirt with her also, marriage has nothing to do with that. Now, flirting with several women and then "choosing" one can surely lead to trouble, even in France, ha ha ! Anyway, if there are people who like to cause trouble, and if you're a target for any reason, even because you're the perfect employee, they can try to screw you, it's how society has become. I guess the best you can do is befriend your boss !

On the other hand that woman could be jealous and whatever, but fair, and would never cause real trouble, you can't know.

You could also describe your work environment, for example are other people also flirting, maybe some coworker relationships going on ? Or are you the wolf in the sheepfold ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

dl021

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Quoting asuflyer05 (Reply 6):

Common thing....

Your biggest problem is that you're trying to find one...

...Women cannot be understood.

True that.....I mentioned that to my wife the other day and she smacked me....same with the work wife......

from the Human Resources and management perspective

And that's unfortunately one of the problems with our overly sensitive and litigious society. People abuse their protections and use them as weapons when they don't get what they want.

More than just simple jealousy, I'm willing to bet she has borderline personality disorder

My thoughts as well.

Hi April....How YOU doin? Looking GOOD today! oop....sorry....don't sue me  

[Edited 2010-08-09 12:10:26]  duck 

[Edited 2010-08-09 12:11:23]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

slimshady

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:02 pm

The real bombshell of this thread is that married women flirt. I remember initially being surprised, a little bit to learn that fact. But many of them absolutely do. Just as married men flirt. She is behaving jealously around you probably because that is a genuine feeling. Since she is paying attention to you, you can use that to get to your goal. You could tell her you "just want us to do our jobs," as a gentle rebuke to tell her to quit it.

Many, many married/LTR couples met, flirted, at work. Many of us were born because of such relationships. Some of us were even born because of adulterous affairs that started at work. This is something people do. As long as it does not interfere with work too much, I see no way to totally shut people down.

Dude, Married people probably flirt the most!! The source of all the good gossip here is a married lady. She wears short short mini dresses, high heels and is in and out of all the brass's office 'closed door' meetings all the time....

Anyway, this burden we have called ego calls for us to seek attention and approval from others, and flirting is an avenue to have your ego boosted, temporarily, until you need your ego boosted again, and again, and again.

The distant relative to every action, is a thought.

sv7887

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Quoting zootrix (Reply 19):
On the other hand, I am known to be a good stickler for corporate protocol to the point that some people complain that I am too business-like and need to loosen up. My boss has no problems with it and in fact likes me for he himself is an excessively PC loving and is a "by the book" kind of a guy.

Call me cynical but remember that your workmates are never ever your friends. Any personal information you divulge will be used if they think they can get a leg up on you. Sadly this has happened to me, with people using my late father's illness as justification for taking over projects or getting their foot in the door to take over my job.

You guys are being ridiculous. Flirting happens at every large workplace. If both people are not married and not in LTR then I see no real problem. People flirt. Happens.

I agree with what you're saying, but it doesn't become ridiculous when a pissed off girl decides to file a sexual harassment suit based on that innocent flirting. Happened to a friend of mine and it really did him in at a company. Like anything it just calls for good judgment, but I definitely agree with you that the hyper sensitive PC atmosphere is stifling.

Flighty

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Quoting sv7887 (Reply 36):
but it doesn't become ridiculous when a pissed off girl decides to file a sexual harassment suit based on that innocent flirting

Yes you need to protect against con artists and crazy people. This is really unfortunate for the true victims of sexual harassment. Flirting is unprofessional. But filing frivolous lawsuits is a direct attack on someone's family, and the company as well. Based on the scandal of... being human. People are human beings first. All employees were created, not in a factory, but by a man and a woman, as un-professional as it may sound.

Quoting slimshady (Reply 35):
Married people probably flirt the most!! The source of all the good gossip here is a married lady. She wears short short mini dresses,

Ya I learned not to judge. Some pretty good people I have known behaved "inappropriately" but the thing is, that is between them and their spouse. Why try to make it something it's not.

wikipedia defines sexual harassment as: "Sexual harassment, is intimidation, bullying or coercion of a sexual nature, or the unwelcome or inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favors"

Sexual harassment is NOT the consensual dating between workers, or even, unwelcome flirting. There is no law against sex among coworkers, although harassment is not allowed. People have to live their life and take the consequences.

airportugal310

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Just look what happened to Mark Hurd at HP recently...

According to the two of them, they never had a sexual relationship. Although, the nature of their 'work relationship' did him in...

TheCol

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:33 am

Quoting sv7887 (Reply 36):
Call me cynical but remember that your workmates are never ever your friends. Any personal information you divulge will be used if they think they can get a leg up on you.

Trust is something that has to be earned. Never give her the benefit of the doubt. In fact, you should keep your distance.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.