Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tugger
Topic Author

Do You Know How To Swim?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:38 pm

How many here can swim? I can, and do often. Though open ocean water does freak me out a bit to swim in.

I don't think about it much but then I read this:

Quote:
In an effort to cool off, one of the teens wandered into the shallow part of the river.

At some point he slipped into deep water and started to drown.

So six more teens went to his rescue.

Only one made it back to shore.

The parents stood helpless on the shore and watched as their children struggled and eventually slipped under the water. The adults could not swim either.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/02/louisiana.river.drowning/index.html

This is a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to the lone survivor and the parents that lost their children.

Apparently over a third of the USA can't swim and over half in the world. Which to me is just amazing. I just can't imagine not being able to swim and as a parent I viewed it as a requirement that my children learn to swim for safety reasons alone.

So can you swim?

Tugg

[Edited 2010-08-03 14:48:14]

ajd1992

RE: Do You Know How To Swim?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:43 pm

I can, but not very well.

I can swim well enough so that I don't drown but I'm no Mark Spitz by any stretch, I don't actually swim much.

Shame they drowned, RIP to them.

AirPacific747

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Are there anyone in this day and age who doesn't know how to???

We even had to learn it in elementary school as well.

desertjets

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 2):
Are there anyone in this day and age who doesn't know how to???

I can't. I know I really should learn how to, but I get really uncomfortable in water where I cannot easily feel the bottom on.... so nothing much more than 5 feet deep.

FX772LRF

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I can. My father cannot. I was enrolled in swim lessons since I was about seven or eight. I also was a competitive swimmer for about three years.

I think that the world being ~70% water would be reason enough to learn to swim for most people.

-Noah.   

DfwRevolution

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Quoting Tugger (Thread starter):
Apparently over a third of the USA can't swim and over half in the world. Which to me is just amazing. I just can't imagine not being able to swim and as a parent I viewed it as a requirement that my children learn to swim for safety reasons alone.

I'll opine that you aren't doing your job as a parent if your kids can't swim. It's your job to prepare them for the world, and like FX772LRF notes, more than 70% of the world is covered in water. You don't need to be able to swim the English Channel, but if you can't tread for 60 seconds or swim a few tens of yards, you've got no one to blame but yourself if you or your children meet a watery demise.

I'm extremely comfortable in open water. I've raced about 2 dozen triathlons in open water, two of them being Ironman-distance (2.4 mile swim). I also lifeguarded for ~6 years through high school and a bit in college. In a survival situation, it's of paramount importance to know your limits and conserve your energy. Growing up, we were always told of the fireman who died on the Niagra river when he tried to swim upstream to the boat he anchored. It was a few hundred yards to the bank, which he could have swam with the current. Instead, he exhausted himself and drown.

And if you are ever going to enter the water to save a drowning victim, don't ever think you can pull them to safety. They will pull you down with them without hesitation. Put something - anything - between you and the victim and pull them to safety. A towel, a belt, etc.

ozglobal

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm Australian and for us the question simply does not arise. I don't think I know anyone there who cannot swim. We are dragged several mornings a week in the summer months to the pool as part of physical education by the school from a very early age. Most of also spend a week or so in the surf on family vacation and 90% of the population live on the coast near a beach. With millions of private swimming pools and 36,000 km of beach, not teaching children to swim is seen almost as a crime. I'm not even an above average Australian swimmer, but have my Bronze Medallion in life saving.

The sad story above in the US would be virtually impossible in Australia.

[Edited 2010-08-03 15:41:19]

TheCommodore

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:48 pm

Pitty for the families that watched on in horror.  Wow!

Maybe swimming should be made compulsory at school, then things like this would not happen.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/six-teen...es-20100804-115p4.html?autostart=1

ual747den

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:56 pm

When I graduated High School being able to swim was a mandatory requirement to graduate in Colorado. I always enjoyed swimming class in high school, I learned how to swim when I was young so it was just a chance to take your shirt off and get wet with a bunch of hot girls you go to school with, LOVED IT!!!!

DocLightning

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:00 pm

I am a competitive swimmer. I swim 4-5,000 yards/day. I'm also in the top 10% for my age group in the breastroke.

Factoid: when I was applying to colleges, I learned that Harvard has a graduation requirement that each student must be able to swim 25 (or maybe 50) yards. This was made a requirement after a drowning about 100 years ago. Of course, now it's a fun campus tradition, but I do support the requirement. EVERYONE should know what to do if he unexpectedly finds himself in water over his head.

FX772LRF

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:09 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
I swim 4-5,000 yards/day.

I know what that feels like. It's a good feeling getting out of the pool and going "I just swam over two miles."

I'm also in the top 10% for my age group in the breastroke.

Quite the achivement!  

-Noah.   

fr8mech

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:32 pm

I've been swimming since I was five. Learned while spending my summers away in Greece.

My children have been in the water since they were 2, they are 8 and 4 now. Professional lessons and lessons at the YMCA. Both kids have been through the lessons at least twice. The 4 year old is in daycare at the Y and swims twice a week, year round.

I'm more than comfortable throwing the 4 year old around in the lake. He still wears a floatation device. The 8 year old only wears a swim vest when she is in the lake or ocean. For a pool, she can go without.

The kids are fish and I'm rather proud of them.

PlymSpotter

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:39 pm

I can't remember learning to swim, it's one of those things I've just always been able to do, without thinking twice. I can't swim much these days as my eyes have an allergic reaction to the chemicals used in public pools, so it's the sea, rivers or my own pool in Spain, meaning in England I hardly swim at all.

Dan  

Sabena332

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:41 pm

I love it, especially in an ocean with big waves. Best one so far was Dubai in October... very warm water and nice high waves.   

I am glad that my grandfather teached me how to swim!

Patrick

DocLightning

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:45 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 11):
I've been swimming since I was five.

And you aren't tired yet?   

andaman

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:49 pm

Unfortunately I'm a lousy swimmer, though living by the sea, next to a swimming hall, in the 'country of 100,000 lakes'...

According to a Nordic definition, a person is able to swim if he or she can swim 200 metres, of which 50 metres on the back, after first falling into deep water and getting his or her head under water.

Not able to make that. I have never felt comfortable in the water, it's not my element. I love beaches though...

dxing

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:04 am

This is a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to the lone survivor and the parents that lost their children.

I think the moral of this story is if you can't swim and you don't have a life jacket on, stay the hell away from the water.

So can you swim?

Can't get to Ranger School unless you can pass the swim test. I'd chat more but all this talk about swiming has made the pool in the backyard seem quite inviting.

njxc500

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:19 am

I swim well, and agree that more kids should learn how. My wife on the other hand tells people she can't swim, even though she and I are both certified scuba divers. Strap a tank on the woman and she'll swim all day. My kids will learn very young.

MD-90

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:25 am

Apparently over a third of the USA can't swim and over half in the world.
According to a studied commissioned by USA Swimming, 69% of black children in the US have little to no swimming ability, and it's 42% for white children.

This is was a horrible yet preventable tragedy. How can a family go to the river for a bbq and swim and let kids in the water (even older teenagers) and NOBODY in the group can swim? People have drowned in very shallow water--it doesn't have to be 25 feet deep to drown in.

Read this VERY important article for what drowning actually looks like. It does NOT happen like you've seen on TV or in the movies.

Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

Quote:
1. Except in rare circumstances, drowning people are physiologically unable to call out for help. Th e respiratory system was designed for breathing. Speech is the secondary or overlaid function. Breathing must be fulfilled, before speech occurs.

2. Drowning people’s mouths alternately sink below and reappear above the surface of the water. The mouths of drowning people are not above the surface of the water long enough for them to exhale, inhale, and call out for help. When the drowning people’s mouths are above the surface, they exhale and inhale quickly as their mouths start to sink below the surface of the water.

3. Drowning people cannot wave for help. Nature instinctively forces them to extend their arms laterally and press down on the water’s surface. Pressing down on the surface of the water, permits drowning people to leverage their bodies so they can lift their mouths out of the water to breathe.

4. Throughout the Instinctive Drowning Response, drowning people cannot voluntarily control their arm movements. Physiologically, drowning people who are struggling on the surface of the water cannot stop drowning and perform voluntary movements such as waving for help, moving toward a rescuer, or reaching out for a piece of rescue equipment.

5. From beginning to end of the Instinctive Drowning Response people’s bodies remain upright in the water, with no evidence of a supporting kick. Unless rescued by a trained lifeguard, these drowning people can only struggle on the surface of the water from 20 to 60 seconds before submersion occurs.

MD-90

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:27 am

And by the way, I took my first swimming lessons at the tender age of 4. My sister went to a Montessori school in the summer since both of our parents worked and it had a swimming pool and our parents signed us up to swim every summer that we went there (which of course was my favorite time of the day). I consider myself an accomplished swimmer, although I've never been on a swim team or competed, but I found the article I linked to above about drowning to be eye opening.

WESTERN737800

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:36 am

I learned how to swim when I was a kid. My cousin held me under water when I was about 10. Haven't been swiming since.

Tugger
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:42 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 3):
I can't. I know I really should learn how to, but I get really uncomfortable in water where I cannot easily feel the bottom on.... so nothing much more than 5 feet deep.

I can only imagine the fear involved when you can't swim. A fear born from being out of your control is real and palpable and I would bet presents a huge impediment to those that don't know how to swim from learning.

Quoting dxing (Reply 16):
I think the moral of this story is if you can't swim and you don't have a life jacket on, stay the hell away from the water.

To a degree yes, but the truth is that there is so much shallow water around (whether shoreline or pool) that one can learn to not fear water and even enjoy playing in it even while not knowing how to swim.

Tugg

NoUFO

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:47 am

I guess swimming was mandatory where I went to school, but I learned it a bit earlier, when I was five or perhaps four. We often spent our holidays at the North Sea, and I have always loved water.

The tragedy Tugger mentions reminds me of something else: I live next door to river Isar (pic), southern Bavaria. The river seems to be a joke, when you have spent most of your life in cities with *real* rivers such as Bremen or Hamburg.
Isar is shallow but (often) has a notable current. In summer, many people jump in the river with makeshift floats, such as inflated tires, underestimating the risk. When they - for whatever reason - fall flat into the water, they may have difficulies swimming or walking back to the shore, because the current is too strong.

greasespot

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:49 am

Yes I can. Came in very handy when I was completed the lake placid ironman

Gs

tpa36r

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:55 am

Was taught to swim at 3 and a advanced certified scuba diver. I love being 80 ft below and miles above sea level.  

UltimateDelta

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:06 am

My mom had me start swimming lessons around the time I was four.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 22):
The tragedy Tugger mentions reminds me of something else: I live next door to river Isar (pic), southern Bavaria. The river seems to be a joke, when you have spent most of your life in cities with *real* rivers such as Bremen or Hamburg.
Isar is shallow but (often) has a notable current. In summer, many people jump in the river with makeshift floats, such as inflated tires, underestimating the risk. When they - for whatever reason - fall flat into the water, they may have difficulies swimming or walking back to the shore, because the current is too strong

I can't tell you how many times that happens every summer along the Missouri, and that's just in the Omaha area. Recently there were three different groups of people who got swept away or had boat issues (Fortunately all of them got out and were accounted for).

NoUFO

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:24 am

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 25):
I can't tell you how many times that happens every summer along the Missouri, and that's just in the Omaha area.

Probably daily, just like here: Aug. 1, Aug. 2 - no kidding, got the info from the life savers here. Not yesterday, nor today though, but that's because it was rainy and a little chilly.

AF340

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:46 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 5):
I'll opine that you aren't doing your job as a parent if your kids can't swim.

Come on, swimming is basic. Learn to swim or don't go near water. There really is no excuse to not learning/teaching your kids to swim.

mirrodie

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:11 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 12):
I can't remember learning to swim, it's one of those things I've just always been able to do, without thinking twice. I

I'm glad Im not the only one. I actually had to ask my folks how I learned last week as I never took formal lessons. Seemed to me almost innate but I think my folks taught me as a youngster.

Very sad story. Our children start lessons this winter.

ShyFlyer

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:16 am

Swimming I know not how to do. Out of my way I will not go to learn to do it.

thegreatRDU

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:49 am

wow a lot of you guys can't swim...
I learned when I was like 7 my dad and my uncle threw me in the pool and told me to move my arms an hour later I got the hang of it..

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 18):
69% of black children in the US have little to no swimming ability

Good god...

soon7x7

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:52 am

Every day, ...30-80 laps in the pool and surf on the weekends...and it's "Shark Week"!. I'm 55 and keep on going! 

iairallie

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 am

I love to swim. There are photos of me as an infant in the pool with my parents. My mom had us in formal swimming lessons by age 2.

Cory6188

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:26 am

Factoid: when I was applying to colleges, I learned that Harvard has a graduation requirement that each student must be able to swim 25 (or maybe 50) yards. This was made a requirement after a drowning about 100 years ago. Of course, now it's a fun campus tradition, but I do support the requirement. EVERYONE should know what to do if he unexpectedly finds himself in water over his head.

Dartmouth had this as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if more than just Dartmouth and Harvard require it. Our graduation requirement was that you had to swim 50 meters -- no particular rules on how you had to swim it (they were hardly looking for polished freestyle), just that you made it 50 meters without stopping.

CXB77L

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:42 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 6):
We are dragged several mornings a week in the summer months to the pool as part of physical education by the school from a very early age.

Yes, and that is part of the reason why I hate swimming, and never want to get in the water again. I haven't swum for over 10 years now, nor do I intend on going anywhere near a pool, let alone the beach (except to view the sunset). If I needed to swim in an emergency I must admit I'm not sure that I'd be able to.

It's tragic what happened to the family. If someone I cared about was drowning, I think instinct would take over and I'd jump in to try to save them, disregarding the fact that I'm not a competent swimmer at all. I'm kind of surprised that the parents didn't jump in after their kids.

Tugger
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:16 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 18):
69% of black children in the US have little to no swimming ability, and it's 42% for white children.

Just to remove what feels like a racial aspect, this isn't accurate. Black children have the same ability to swim as any other race, the only issue is that they have not been taught to swim (I know it was not intended that way).

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 34):
It's tragic what happened to the family. If someone I cared about was drowning, I think instinct would take over and I'd jump in to try to save them, disregarding the fact that I'm not a competent swimmer at all. I'm kind of surprised that the parents didn't jump in after their kids.

My wife and I had an heated discussion over this issue. She is furious that the parents didn't at least attempt to rescue their children. But then my wife can swim. So I asked her if one of our children fell out of a plane, would she jump out after them to attempt to save them? She scoffed and said that it's different, as no one can fly. I pointed out that the parents of these kids couldn't swim so the only thing they could have done is helped drag their kids under....

The whole thing is sad and what makes it worse is that it absolutely did not have to happen as children can learn to swim. Every child should at least learn the basics, there is just no reason for not teaching children to swim.

Tugg

MD-90

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:44 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 35):
Just to remove what feels like a racial aspect, this isn't accurate. Black children have the same ability to swim as any other race, the only issue is that they have not been taught to swim (I know it was not intended that way).

Of course they do, but swimming is a skill, poorly labeled in the article as an ability. I was trying to show that these kids were in fact quite average in not being able to swim.

2010 Study Commissioned by USA Swimming Finds Alarming Results

Quote:
According to a mother who participated in a Denver focus group, "You're already uncomfortable and scared. You're like, 'I'm paying them so I can have heart palpitations on the side-lines. It's not worth it. It really isn't. Why should I have to pay money to be afraid?"

Other major variables include lack of parental encouragement in African American and Hispanic families and personal appearance issues (notion that chlorine is bad for African American skin and hair). Minor variables included financial constraints and access to pools.

40% of All Children Surveyed Said They Are Able to Swim While Only 18% of Total Respondents Have Taken Lesson From Certified Instructor

Results from the study show that while 40% of children report they are able to swim, only 18% of total respondents have ever taken a swim lesson from a certified instructor. When asked how they learned to swim, 28% of Hispanic children and 26% of African American children responded, "I taught myself." This false sense of confidence can lead to tragedy as 60% of children surveyed with no to low swimming ability plan to spend time in and around the water this summer at least once per month.

The Constraints Impacting Minority Swimming Participation, Phase II study was conducted by the University of Memphis between February 1, 2010 and May 26, 2010 and surveyed more than 2,000 children and parents in six cities across the U.S., including Atlanta, Boston, Denver, Memphis, Minneapolis and San Diego.

NoUFO

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:48 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 35):
My wife and I had an heated discussion over this issue. She is furious that the parents didn't at least attempt to rescue their children.

After I posted my reply (#22), I surfed around a bit and came across an article on a group of 5 students (aged perhaps 16 or 17). One of them climbed a tree, fell in river Isar (see above) and got one foot stuck in some kind of debris the rain had washed into the river from the surrounding mountains. The other then *first* used their phones to call for help and *then* (to no avail) tried to help their friend who was quickly losing strenght since the temperature of the water was no more than 59 F / 15°C.

One of the lifeguards later told the press that one can of course not expect others to idly stand by while a friend is in distress. But given the risk the others were exposing themselves to, sitting there would actually have been smarter. At least, he said, they called for help *before* they jumped into the water.

DocLightning

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:52 am

BTW, speaking as someone who was a certified lifeguard, if someone is drowning

1) REACH for the person with a stick, pole, etc. If that is not possible, then
2) THROW something to them that floats. Anything will do. A closed cooler will float. If that something has a rope around it so you can pull them in, that's even better.
3) ROW out to them in a boat and then yank them out of the water. And ONLY if that fails, then
4) GO. Approach the victim from behind. Approach feet-first. A drowning victim is as much as twice as strong as normal. As this story tragically illustrated, an inexperienced rescuer is most likely to get pulled into drowning with the victim. If you do have to go, try to take something that floats with you, like a life ring or life vest that you can push toward the victim.

Remember, REACH, THROW, ROW, GO.

Oh, and if you are not absolutely confident in your swimming abilities, then DO NOT GO. Yes, it sucks to stand and watch someone die and you will live with the trauma and guilt for the rest of your life. But you will live with it and not die you will if you exceed your physical abilities.

[Edited 2010-08-03 23:56:21]

ABQ747

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:45 am

Do You Know How To Swim?

Nope. I really should sign up for swimming lessons.

aloges

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:47 am

Yes, I learned it so early that I can't even remember when.

AirPacific747

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:52 am

I once swam 5000 meters and got a certificate 

I don't remember when I learned to swim either. It's also something I've just always been able to do.

In school we had to pick up a 30kg doll at the bottom of the swimming pool 5 meters deep and drag the doll out of the pool.

[Edited 2010-08-04 00:52:37]

AustrianZRH

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:08 am

I swim 4-5,000 yards/day.

My respects  . I'm stuck at about 1,000 to 1,200 m twice a week. Never learned to swim properly (just the way you learn it growing up next to a lake taught by your parents) though...

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 38):
Remember, REACH, THROW, ROW, GO.

And if you don't know how to rescue somebody properly but are an apt swimmer, the surviving chances of both you and the drowning person go up if you wait for the victim to become unconscious, take him to the shore and start CPR immediately. Way better than to get killed by the victim fighting for his life - he's not thinking rationally in his situation!

dxing

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:31 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 21):
To a degree yes, but the truth is that there is so much shallow water around (whether shoreline or pool) that one can learn to not fear water and even enjoy playing in it even while not knowing how to swim.

Makes no difference. If the water is over your ankles, or has a current like the Red River, no life jacket, no swimming.

ual747den

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:33 am

Quoting AustrianZRH (Reply 42):
the surviving chances of both you and the drowning person go up if you wait for the victim to become unconscious, take him to the shore and start CPR immediately.

All I could think of when I read that was "damn thats F'ed up!"

AustrianZRH

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:05 am

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 44):
All I could think of when I read that was "damn thats F'ed up!"

It is - but it is what they tell you in water-related First Aid courses (at least over here). If you don't have any floating device, never go near a fighting drowning victim, as difficult - or, in your words, f'ed up - that is.

MD11Engineer

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:52 am

In Berlin state all primary school children spend grade 4 (age 9-10) sports lessons instead of in the school gym in a public swimming pool (except for those with a medical reason not to swim or recently there were cases where Muslim girls were not allowed to participate). Usually the children get seperated into those who already know how to swim and those who don´t. For the first group, there are incentives like earning a badge for the swimming trunks or swimsuit based on a bit of advanced swimming, like diving, and basic ways of rescuing somebody, while for the beginners it is basic swimming.

For myself, my mother taught me how to swim when I was about 5 years old, while we as a family were living in Portugal when my dad had to work there. In my late teens, early twenties I joined a scuba diving club.

Jan

HAWK21M

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:33 am

Swimming is not a problem....But Swimming a long distance in an Emergency situation trying to rescue people is.

grozzy

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:33 am

I am not a very strong swimmer. I can tread water and stay afloat and do a sort of breast stroke. I am too uncoordinated to swim freestyle.
We have a big problem in Australia with some people from immigrant backgrounds and tourists who do not appreciate the dangers of swimming at some beaches.

aerdingus

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:11 pm

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 6):
I'm Australian and for us the question simply does not arise.

An Aussie friend of mine couldn't believe me when I said I couldn't swim!

No.  

Water terrifies me.

My mother was on holidays, and she was on the phone telling me she was standing at the Shannon Pot, which is basically the source of the longest Irish river, & she was saying how deep & black it looked, and my stomach immediately went to knots...(no pun intended)....

Not to sound hippy dippy but I'm astrologically a water sign...don't geddit.