OA412
Topic Author

Dr Laura's Racist Rant

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:02 pm

Here's a link to an article discussing a rant on Dr Laura's show a few days ago in which she casually used the N-word, and then tried to justify it's use in certain situations. In the process, she patronizes a couple of callers and deides that they are overly sensitive to race issues. She must have gotten tired of going after the gays.   To her credit, she did apologize, but I'm not sure that I believe her apology. Her brazen attitude on the show indicates to me that she has no problem with the word, that she does not understand its historical significance, and that she certainly does not seem to grasp the deep racism associated with it.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201008120045
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

UH60FtRucker

RE: Dr Laura's Racist Rant

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:15 pm

...So what?

Seriously, so freakin what? You cannot possibly tell me that prior to this, you did not already know she was an angry bitch. So how does this possibly surprise you?

The only way for people offended by her comments to really make a difference: make her irrelevant. Don't listen to her, and don't give additional air time to her comments (ie: this thread). Ignore her, and her advertising dollars will dry up. Ratings is the life blood of radio. If people stop listening, she'll fade back into obscurity.

[Edited 2010-08-13 14:16:04]
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

vikkyvik

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:32 pm

I read the transcript....sounds like a not-particularly-productive discussion from both ends. While the caller had a valid question that could have sparked some interesting discussion, Schlessinger pretty quickly turned it into an unproductive argument. And the caller then focused on her use of the N-word, which, well, no chance for productive discussion from that point forward.

Then there's this gem:

SCHLESSINGER: Why don't you let me finish a sentence?

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Tugger

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 pm

I would not call it a "racist rant" but I can absolutely understand why what she said was offensive.

She was stupid to try and make any point using the word (repeatedly, and thereby she was repeatedly stupid) and should have known better. Ultimately I think it is becoming overblown but it makes the news (or what we nowadays call "news") primarily because Dr. Laura puts herself out there as one "who knows better than you", offering life advice to millions of listeners daily. And as I said, she should have "known better" herself.

The ensuing discussions on this issue do highlight that the word itself is wrong for anyone to use, regardless of race, as it just confuses the issue and in the end sustains its continued use in society.

Just my opinion.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

D L X

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 pm

Actually, I'd say her real problem with her rant is that she assumes that all black people think using that word is okay. It's like she thinks that blacks all live in rap videos and comedy shows, which is just as ridiculous as thinking that whites blow s--t up all day and drive cars that turn into robots.

The N-word is not appropriate, no matter who says it. For one, you can't say it over the airwaves, and for two, it's still offensive, even when blacks say it.

The caller called to find out how to deal with her husband's friends saying racist things, such as using the n-word. Why in the hell would this so-called therapist say that she simply shouldn't be offended by the n-word? And justify it because some blacks use it as a term of endearment? (What do you think the chances are that the whites in this case were using it as a term of endearment?)

Dr. Laura then steps further into it saying that blacks have some monolithic "black think" that was exhibited by this caller.

Now, the next day, she apologized, but I'm not sure I buy it. She's backtracking mostly because of the fine she knows is about to be levied on the stations that carry her show from the FCC. If you think a nipple was bad, try an n-word. That fine might be cause enough for a lot of stations to drop her show.

BN747

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:42 pm

This is not a racist rant (and I can't believe for a second that I'm defending Dr. Laura, on the disdain scale .. she ranks right up there with Palin and Ms. Dumbass Ann Coulter)... but it's true.

Laura simply pointed out that (certain circles of) blacks call each other that all the time. Which is true. It can be used from an endearment standpoint to a moment in anger. BUT that's between them. Girls, white, black, asian, latino and every kind..call each other 'Bitch' in many situations and it's used in the same context as blacks using the 'N' word...from endearment standpoints to moments in anger and rage.

But any outside has no right to walk up hurl that term at anyone. You can't walk up to a random girl/woman and say 'Wassup Bitch?' no more than you can walk up to a black dude and say 'wassup n**ga'...both incidents could result in the outsider getting his ass kicked.

The same applies to Rush Limbaugh, as much as he'd like to address Nancy Pelosi as Speaker Bitch and the President as the N***ger President...he can't and has no right to. I mean, he technically could..but it'd be a testament that socially...we as a nation have not moved one iota from the day before the Civil War started as far as becoming an intelligent advanced society.

But you're right about Laura in the rest of your charges...

The idiot is wrong saying the woman has a chip on her shoulder..that woman has very right to be offended. I'm surprised that she put up with it that long.

Laura: "I think that's racist..." -- Of course you don't... you're clueless and you're a moron. And you're addressing issues on which you have no understanding or knowledge of.

BN707
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

D L X

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 5):
Laura simply pointed out that (certain circles of) blacks call each other that all the time.

What does that have to do with the fact that this caller does not like her husband's friends using the word?

The problem is when whites (or anyone for that matter) assume that blacks like the word. Most don't.
In other news - most blacks are not rappers or comedians.

BN747

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 6):
Quoting BN747 (Reply 5):
Laura simply pointed out that (certain circles of) blacks call each other that all the time.

What does that have to do with the fact that this caller does not like her husband's friends using the word?

You clearly did not read the rest of my statement.....

Quoting BN747 (Reply 5):
The idiot is wrong saying the woman has a chip on her shoulder..that woman has very right to be offended. I'm surprised that she put up with it that long.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

D L X

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 7):
You clearly did not read the rest of my statement.....

maybe *you* didn't read the rest of your statement then.   How else could you come to the conclusion which you stated up top that "This is not a racist rant " ?

futurepilot16

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Personally, I believe that yes, a word is restricted to race. If a black man wants to call his black friend the N word, it's fine, they have the immunity. I see black people make fun of black people all the time. Muslims make fun of Muslims. Blacks make fun of whites, whites make fun of blacks. However, I don't think it's right that a white man should call a black man the N word. I don't think it's right that a black man should call the white man by any racial term (this includes cracker or white trash or anything else). But if a white man wants to call another white man a cracker, that's fine.

Dr. Laura did nothing to help the woman's problems. The woman didn't say she was hypersensitive about race, but that she has gotten sick and tired of people pointing out to her that she's black. Why is it that her husband's white friends and family can't just see her as a person? Why do they have to make comments like "I didn't know black people like to do this" "Do black people do that". For Laura to even suggest that the woman should not have married out of her race, to me crossed the line.

This whole issue of race has just gotten out of hand and taken to another level, that I have never seen in this country. I'm only 20 years old and I know it has been worst, but this is bad.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

avent

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:12 pm

I don't see a big deal here either. I think she was correct in pointing out how comedians use the N-word all the time. The caller should take the issue up with them.

futurepilot16

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 9):
I don't see a big deal here either. I think she was correct in pointing out how comedians use the N-word all the time. The caller should take the issue up with them.

What does that have to do with anything? I think Laura just had something under skin and wanted to get rid of it. That "thing" i'm referring to is her clever observation of how blacks voted for Obama just because he's black, then claiming that Obama didn't win the election because of black voters because blacks are a 12% minority. Claiming that he one because white people also voted for him.

Now as DLX said, what in the world does this have to with the original problem that the woman had?
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

Tugger

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:23 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
How else could you come to the conclusion which you stated up top that "This is not a racist rant " ?

I'll jump in where I was not asked and offer that I do not feel it was a racist rant because I do not think that Dr. Laura is a racist and that I do not think that her comment were intended to be denigrating. That it was denigrating is another issue but I believe that Dr' Laura simply got caught in her own conceit and confusion on a topic that she nothing of.

She may be stupid for what she said but I don't think she is a racist.

I will add that I too was once caught by "the word" in a discussion I was having with a black coworker (we were talking about Blazing Saddles and I mentioned the "laurel and laurel handshake"). I didn't think much of it at the time but I saw she reacted to the use of the word (eyes widened). For a bit I thought it was OK but as I thought about it more I realized that I may have really offended her so the next day I apologized as what I said was quite likely offensive to her and I should have been smarter. She was fine and appreciated that I came and talked to her about it and did not just sit and do nothing. And she wondered off of what truck I had fallen off of to think it was OK to use it. It has lead to a good friendship and good discussions.

And I am most certainly not a racist. Dumb, maybe sometimes, racist, absolutely not.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

BN747

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
How else could you come to the conclusion which you stated up top that "This is not a racist rant " ?

A racist rant is when someone goes off 'against' the race (they dislike) period ..ala Gibson, Michael Richards...

Laura did not do this, she goaded the women into injecting the 'N' word into the conversation (which was her intent) and went on to explain how she see's it being used by other blacks. She's not saying how she 'hates n**gers and they deserve to be called that, etc'. She in her own words are attempting to show how innocuous of a term it is... which clearly qualifies her as the least likely person to be discussing it. She was discussing the term..not ranting against blacks per se.

..or did I miss something?

BN747

aerobalance

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Definitely not a racist rant from Dr. Laura, you trying to stir stuff up OA412?

When African-American folks stop calling themselves the N word that's the day I consider the N-word non-existent.
Now, I'm gonna get my half fritz, quarter spic, eighth frog, eight spaniard behind out of here.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

vikkyvik

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 6):
The problem is when whites (or anyone for that matter) assume that blacks like the word. Most don't.
In other news - most blacks are not rappers or comedians.

But I've heard plenty of non-rapper, non-comedian black folks use the word. Just in normal speak.

Now, I don't really give a rat's ass. People want to use the word, go for it - it doesn't offend me.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Maverick623

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
The N-word is not appropriate

Plenty of words are "not appropriate". F***, sh**, p*ss, c*nt, c*cksucker, motherf***er, t*ts, and t*at are just a few of them. Yet I hear (and say) most of them on a daily basis.

Now, I'm not advocating that the N-word become openly acceptable to say, much the same as I don't think the "C" word should be. But when amongst a group of people that have no problem saying it, I should be able to without fear of getting my ass kicked, or being labeled a racist.

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 9):
Personally, I believe that yes, a word is restricted to race.

Are you implying that Blacks are too stupid to avoid using the word, or that Whites are too stupid to use it?
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

IMissPiedmont

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:58 pm

I find the phrase the "N-word " rather stupid. I find "Dr" Laura incredibly so, so much so that I don't listen to her.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

DeltaMD90

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:22 pm

I don't think it's her place to use the word, but what's wrong with two black guys saying it to each other if they do not mind?

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
it's still offensive, even when blacks say it.

Not really, that's your opinion, and many black people disagree with you. The word is not bad, it's they meaning (like if a foreigner said it, they wouldn't think it's offensive since they don't understand the meaning. The meaning to many black people is not offensive, but often as a bond of friendship. I personally don't use it--it's not my place to.

D L X

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:44 pm

MAN! I'm always impressed with just how badly white people want to say that word! Why?

Quoting avent (Reply 10):

Right. If you were a soccer mom concerned with violence on television, how would you respond to an "advisor" telling you to take up the issue with them?

Quoting Tugger (Reply 12):
I do not think that Dr. Laura is a racist

I don't either. I think this was nearing the dumbest thing she could have said though. I think she intended to offend, and that's the standard for me -- if you intend to offend me, then you should be punished for the offensive thing. (If you honestly didn't mean it, I'm not going to be bothered by it.)

Quoting BN747 (Reply 13):
A racist rant is when someone goes off 'against' the race (they dislike) period ..ala Gibson, Michael Richards...

Fair enough. I disagree with your definition, but I don't find it unreasonable.

Quoting aerobalance (Reply 14):
When African-American folks stop calling themselves the N word that's the day I consider the N-word non-existent.

Non-existent?

No one is arguing that the word doesn't exist...

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 15):
But I've heard plenty of non-rapper, non-comedian black folks use the word. Just in normal speak.

I'm sure you're also aware that most black people do NOT use the word, and some black people, like the caller, are disgusted by the word. Let us not forget, the caller was asking advice on how to get her husband's friends to stop saying things she found objectionable. Instead of giving her advice, "Dr." Laura told her to stop being offended by this thing she clearly didn't think was offensive.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 18):
Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
it's still offensive, even when blacks say it.

Not really, that's your opinion, and many black people disagree with you.

I agree, and it's a hot-button issue in the community. But if I said I didn't like the word (as I have) and people decided to use that word around me, "comedians and rappers use it too" does not excuse people to continue saying it around me any more than any other objectionable term.

seb146

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 1):
The only way for people offended by her comments to really make a difference: make her irrelevant.

I didn't even know she was still on. Shows how relevant she is in my life!

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
The N-word is not appropriate, no matter who says it. For one, you can't say it over the airwaves, and for two, it's still offensive, even when blacks say it.

I heard about this rant on Randi Rhodes today. She (Randi) had a caller on from Detroit who explained that Blacks use the word "nigga" amongst themselves. The actual "n-word" is generally used by Klansmen. And, yes, that is true. Randi played the call and Dr. Laura really has no concept of the difference, I think.

How about this: We use her stupid rant as a starting point for a really good and frank national debate on race? Oh, wait.... There have been plenty of opportunities for that already and it has not happened. I don't know why, but we really need one.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

vikkyvik

Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:14 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 19):
I'm sure you're also aware that most black people do NOT use the word, and some black people, like the caller, are disgusted by the word.

I'm certainly aware that some black people are disgusted by the word. But I'm NOT aware that most black people do not use the word. I'd say a pretty good percentage of the black people I've known have used it, and that's all I really have to go by.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 20):
I heard about this rant on Randi Rhodes today. She (Randi) had a caller on from Detroit who explained that Blacks use the word "nigga" amongst themselves. The actual "n-word" is generally used by Klansmen. And, yes, that is true. Randi played the call and Dr. Laura really has no concept of the difference, I think.

Is there really a difference there? One comes straight from the other.

Besides which, if someone from Boston says the N-word, it could easily sound like "nigga".

DeltaMD90

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:34 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 21):

Actually, there is a big difference. You won't see n---er nearly as much as n---a. Funny enough, it was our EO drill sergeant (black himself) that was telling us this. He was not offended, never actually called anyone a n---a/er, but he did call a lot of people his ninja  

tbar220

Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:49 am

If we could all just put ourselves in other people's shoes just a little more, things like this could be avoided. Also, if someone is offended by it, who are we to say that they're being "oversensitive"? If this woman didn't like the use of the word nigger, why did Dr. Laura have to call her "hypersensitive"? Seriously ridiculous
NO URLS in signature

wn700driver

Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:59 am

Quoting tbar220 (Reply 25):
If we could all just put ourselves in other people's shoes just a little more, things like this could be avoided.

Aha. But who needs to put who in who's shoes? You can say that, but the problem is that it is just as easily applied to the other party as well. If she had a problem with what she was hearing, there are other stations out there...

What if I'm offended by her (the caller that is) obvious propensity towards being hurt? Should she put herself in my shoes before making this much ado over nothing?
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

avent

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:11 am

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 11):
What does that have to do with anything?

Using the N-word was main issue raised by Media Matters - and I think they are over blowing the issue in this particular case.

avent

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:15 am

Quoting avent (Reply 10):

Right. If you were a soccer mom concerned with violence on television, how would you respond to an "advisor" telling you to take up the issue with them?

I honestly can't see how the parallel you draw applies.

vikkyvik

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:54 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 23):
Actually, there is a big difference. You won't see n---er nearly as much as n---a. Funny enough, it was our EO drill sergeant (black himself) that was telling us this.

I know that there is a difference as commonly used. But really, they're the same stupid word, and it's kind of ridiculous to say it's perfectly fine to say with an "a" but horrible to say with an "er".

I don't pretend to understand why, if you're so offended by "er", you'd continue to use "a" (speaking in generalities).

dxing

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:58 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 2):
SCHLESSINGER: Why don't you let me finish a sentence?

You're right, considering she has a "mute caller" button right there in front of her it's strange she would have even said that.

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
For one, you can't say it over the airwaves

Says who? Not the FCC.

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
Now, the next day, she apologized, but I'm not sure I buy it. She's backtracking mostly because of the fine she knows is about to be levied on the stations that carry her show from the FCC. If you think a nipple was bad, try an n-word. That fine might be cause enough for a lot of stations to drop her show.

I don't think so. The N word is not on the list of obscene words that may get you fined. Where did you come up with that idea? Even using an obscene word is ok if you do it during safe harbor hours.

I didn't even know she was still on.
Randi played the call and Dr. Laura really has no concept of the difference, I think.

Well which is it? You didn't know she was still on, or didn't know until Rhodes had to play the call so somone would listen to her show?

BTW DLX, unless Rhodes bleeped the N word using your logic all her stations would be in line for fines as well, although that's not how it usually works for downline stations on a network. Too many of them are remotely attended, automated stations.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

ltbewr

Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:46 pm

One of the increasing problems we see in America is how people on the extremes of the political sepectrum have become more angry and much more willing to use offensive words and terms. In part this is to cut through the clutter to get attention to their viewpoint. That we see 'Dr Laura' and a variety of (mainly 'right wing') political radio commentators making such comments and others that come to the edge but still stay on the air and not suspended or fired as they would have in the past suggests a growing problem.
'Dr. Laura' has a well established reputation of questionable views, including as to gays a number of years ago. Still, she could have used the term N-word, instead of the full word on air. More importantly while acknowleging the use of the N-word by Black persons with each other, she should have noted that is still wrong, as the NAACP and other Black groups as well as many persons have expressed in recent years. More importantly, perhaps she should have just said that the relatives of the caller are totally wrong in their use of the N-word or any other racist terms around her or anyone else.

seb146

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Yes, there really is a difference. One is the worst possible slur you can use and the other is like buddy, guy, pal, dude and so forth. In my younger and stupider days, I had the liberty to call only a select few very close friends "nigga" and they knew what I was saying. We all made sure of it. I am lilly white, BTW. But, the other one? Heck no! No one used that unless someone was really REALLY mad at someone else. Even then, it was only the Blacks using it.

Quoting dxing (Reply 31):
You didn't know she was still on, or didn't know until Rhodes had to play the call so somone would listen to her show?

I didn't know Dr. Laura was still on so it surprised me to hear this uproar. And, as a point of order, Randi DID bleep out every one of Dr. Laura's "n-words" so if it were a violation (which you correctly say it is not) she would not have been fined. However, possibly Dr. Laura *may* have to answer to NAACP even with her apology. Which I don't buy either.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

D L X

Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:44 pm

But I'm NOT aware that most black people do not use the word.

You should acquaint yourself with more black people then.

There is a distinction, but it is a distinction without a difference. I'm sure the caller would have been equally annoyed by the use of either word in her presence.

Quoting avent (Reply 28):

Because you're blaming a black person for not "taking it up with" blacks on television and in music for using the word. That's ridiculous. If you and I are friends, and you say something objectionable to me, I'm going to take it up with YOU, not the person you claim to have heard the word from. I have some control over my friend. I have no control over Hollywood.

Again, it all comes down to "Dr." Laura's crazed idea that because the word is used by comedians and rappers, that all blacks should not be offended by the word. Can you tell me how that is remotely logical?

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
For one, you can't say it over the airwaves

Says who? Not the FCC.

Are you sure? There's a reason they don't use the word on the air, even on rap stations. If not the FCC, who?

Even using an obscene word is ok if you do it during safe harbor hours.

"Dr." Laura is daytime.

BTW DLX, unless Rhodes bleeped the N word using your logic all her stations would be in line for fines as well, although that's not how it usually works for downline stations on a network. Too many of them are remotely attended, automated stations.

If my understanding is correct (and you may be able to help) when Janet Jackson's boob was shown, a lot of CBS affiliates were scared silly that they were going to receive a piece of the massive fine.

And yes, I would say a racial slur is worse than a boob.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 33):
Yes, there really is a difference.

I should be clear - if a white person said it to me, I would not ask them to clarify, "um, did you say '-er' or '-a'?"

DeltaMD90

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 34):

I should be clear - if a white person said it to me, I would not ask them to clarify, "um, did you say '-er' or '-a'?"

This issue is different case to case, because in my experience, if they said -a it would be them joking around, but if it was -er, it might be offensive. I'd judge the context and the actual word to see its meaning.

A large part of this issue is people like me and a huge part of the population didn't grow up when the word was being used mostly offensively. The older generations do. 99% of the time I hear either -er or -a, it is not intended to be racist

D L X

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 35):
99% of the time I hear either -er or -a, it is not intended to be racist

I'll take your number for what it is, but I'd say the instant someone said they were offended by it, you have to accept it that they are offended and stop using it around that person, just like any other profanity. The answer is not "you should not be offended by that word. Look, other black people use it, so you should be okay with it." I'm not okay with it, and I don't like people who insinuate that I have to play like other blacks they supposedly know. I am not my race, for one, and people who only see me for my race, well, there's a term for them!

And I certainly wouldn't say "maybe you shouldn't marry outside your race."

iairallie

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:56 pm

What ever happened to common sense and interpreting things within context?
Why are people so quick to get offended?

Yeah Dr. Laura can be pretty abrasive and abrupt in her way of communicating but I don't see how this conversation could be construed as a racist rant. She made some valid points.

There ARE some people who are hypersensitive about race and undoubtedly being in a fish out of water situation is going to heighten that sensitivity. It is true that if you marry into a different race, religion, socioeconomic status, nationality, fill in the blank here _______ that your spouses friends and family are going to be curious about you if they haven't been exposed to many other people with a similar background. They might ask questions about sterotypes they have heard. Does this make them racist? I'd argue no. This makes them someone who is interested in you, would like to get know you, and wants to better understand your background and culture so that they can find ways to better relate to you. This is part of the socialization process and you can fill in whatever background you want it doesn't just apply to race. Sometimes people ask dumb questions or ask about sterotypes because it may be all they know or have heard about your culture. There will always be people who ask things like "You live in Alaska do you live in an igloo?" or "Is it true that women in France don't shave their legs?". I've had people ask some pretty funny questions when I travel about living in the US and all the time I get questions about some of the sterotypes that exist regarding my religion (it will be refreshing when I move to ORD from SLC so I don't immediately get slammed with all the standard questions upon meeting someone new) . I could get all offended, as there are some unflattering sterotypes that exist about those things, or I could use it as an educational experience. Yeah, it gets a little (ok a lot) "old" always having to answer the same questions. But the person asking may never have had the opportunity to talk in depth to someone from my background before and like it or not I am in a representative of my culture and background.

When Dr. Laura (she is a PHD that makes Dr. the appropriate title for the person who pointedly said she was not a Dr.)asked her to give an example of the "racist" comments this woman was subjected to the woman's immediate examples were that people ask her about black sterotypes. It wasn't until Dr. Laura said she didn't think that was racist that the woman said "Well what about the N-word". Now if that was a legitimate complaint she would have brought it up first because using the N-word in the hateful way would certainly be a bigger offense then someone asking "Do black people like/think/do this?". If you are asked to give an example of something to prove your point you are ALWAYS going to give the examples that best support your argument first. Bringing it up after the first examples were dismissed leads me to believe that none of her husbands friends, family or neighbors used the N-word in a malicious way. I think she knew that their use of the word did not indicate any racisim and they intended no offense because had this been the case she would have given that example immediately and with specific detail "This specific person called me a n(*&^$ at this specific event/place/time". You don't forget something like a slur being deliberately hurled at you.

She very well may have encountered people who thought it was ok to use the n$%^a term and I agree with the caller that it is one of those words that shouldn't be used even playfully with friends of the same race. There are lots of words polite people don't use in any context even though they have no-offense-intended colloquial meanings (bitch for one). Dr. Laura was correct when she pointed out the term is used very frequently without maliciousness. It's true while it's not really a classy thing to say it is a term that can be used without a racist subtext. Pointing this fact out hardly makes Dr. Laura a racist.

The proper way to handle someone casually using any term that offends you is to matter of factly say " I know you were just joking around but I really don't care for that word.". Which is what I say when a friend excessively uses the Lords name in vain around me or curses excessively or uses a derogatory term for a homosexual person or whatever. If you say it in a non-judgemental matter of fact non-emotional way most friends, family and neighbors are going to respect you for it. Getting offended and angry is not a productive reaction.

The caller changes the discussion saying she thinks people are more racist than ever because we have a half-blackman in office. Dr. Laura points out that she thinks this is ridiculous. I agree. It is verifiable fact that the majority of people who got our president elected were white. To Dr. Laura and I it is a sign of decreased racism not the cause of an increase in racism. How does this statement make Dr. Laura racist?

Dr. Laura did not call anyone the N-word. She used it but not as a slur. CONTEXT people!

"Need a sense of humor, sense of humor -- and answer the question. When somebody says, "What do blacks think?" say, "This is what I think. This is what I read that if you take a poll the majority of blacks think this." Answer the question and discuss the issue. It's like we can't discuss anything without saying there's -isms?"
This statement sums her entire position up. What about it is racist? I think it is a valid point.

Getting needlessly offended shuts down communication instead of opening up dialogue that can be educational and healing.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

D L X

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:13 pm

Quoting iairallie (Reply 37):
Dr. Laura did not call anyone the N-word. She used it but not as a slur. CONTEXT people!

Substitute "n-----" for "c---". What do you think now? "c--- c--- c---. People use the word. C---. C--- c--- c--- c--- c---! It's all over television. C--- c--- c--."

In other words, take the racial element out of it, because I think people are getting hung up on this sideshow issue of whether blacks use the N word and whether whites can. That wasn't the issue the caller was calling about though. (That clearly IS the issue that "Dr." Laura wanted to talk about though.) The caller was asking advice on how to get her husband to make his friends stop saying things that offended her. If you take the racial slur out of it, and just use a generic vile word, what do you think now?

* and to be fair, I put "Dr." in quotes because while she holds herself out as a therapist/psychiatrist, her training is in physiology, which is far different.

iairallie

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Again, it all comes down to "Dr." Laura's crazed idea that because the word is used by comedians and rappers, that all blacks should not be offended by the word

That is not what she was saying at all. She was saying you shouldn't be offended if the person who said it was not intending to be malicious or offensive and the that it possible for this word to be used in a way that is not malicious.

I agree btw that it is a word that polite people don't use in any context though.

That's ridiculous. If you and I are friends, and you say something objectionable to me, I'm going to take it up with YOU,

Good for you that's what you should do. That is the appropriate way of handling it. Stewing over it to the point where your marriage is in danger not a healthy way of handling things.

Quoting D L X (Reply 36):
And I certainly wouldn't say "maybe you shouldn't marry outside your race."

That is completely taken out of context. It's true if you the consequences of an action are going to be intollerable to you then don't do the action. So If you aren't going to be able to cope with the challenges that would come out of marrying someone with a different religion, race, culture or nationality then maybe it is not a good thing for you personally to do. But someone for someone else it might not be so much of a problem. Whenever you join two individuals in marriage there are going to be challenges you are never going to find someone with an identical background you just have to go into it with your eyes wide open knowing your personal limitations.

I listen to her show she has no issue with interacial marriage.

[Edited 2010-08-14 10:36:04]

iairallie

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:31 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 38):
Substitute "n-----" for "c---". What do you think now? "c--- c--- c---. People use the word. C---. C--- c--- c--- c--- c---! It's all over television. C--- c--- c--."

It doesn't change it although there isn't really a way to use the C-word without intending offense maybe there is but I've only heard it used to denigrate someone as in "stupic c---!" . Bitch is a better analogy it can be used in the same ways. What's up Bitch? or YOU DUMB BITCH! Just like one could say What's up n---a? or YOU DUMB n---er!

take the racial element out of it,
If you take the racial slur out of it, and just use a generic vile word, what do you think now?

I did exactly that with the bitch analogy in this post and in the other.

The racial element of the discussion was relevant because the caller brought it up and the racial element was what bothered her.

* and to be fair, I put "Dr." in quotes because while she holds herself out as a therapist/psychiatrist, her training is in physiology, which is far different.

Dr. is an appropriate title for someone with a PHD. It does not apply to MD's only. The Dr. Martin Luther King was not an MD but I would never dream of addressing him as anything but Dr. were he still alive.

dxing

Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Are you sure? There's a reason they don't use the word on the air, even on rap stations. If not the FCC, who?

Yep. The reason most stations won't allow their on air personalities to use that word was answered by seb146:

Quoting seb146 (Reply 33):
Dr. Laura *may* have to answer to NAACP even with her apology.

among other groups. On top of not wanting pickets outside your station and a boycott of your advertisers which would cost you financially there is the all important license renewal for which no on air personality is worth jeporadizing. But there is no FCC rule that says you can't say that on air, no need too.

"Dr." Laura is daytime.

That really depends on where you live. Since she is syndicated she is often recorded for replay later in the day, evening, or even overnight.

If my understanding is correct (and you may be able to help) when Janet Jackson's boob was shown, a lot of CBS affiliates were scared silly that they were going to receive a piece of the massive fine.

They may have been worried but in the end the FCC held to their standard that since the independent stations had no prior warning that the event was going to take place and had no legitimate reason to believe it would, they should not be held liable. The CBS owned stations got fined since the FCC really can't fine a "network" as it doesn't actually hold a broadcast license, only the local stations do. That's why Howard Sterns affiliate stations didn't get fined when he was syndicated on terrestial radio. His home stations owner in NYC (clear channel) as well as Stern himself were subject to the fines.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/2809339.html

Federal law bars radio and non-cable television stations from airing references to sexual and excretory functions between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when children may be tuning in. Once a complaint is made to the FCC, the agency determines whether the broadcast was indecent.

Since the N word does not fit "sexual or excretory" she was not in violation of FCC rules. Hope that clears it up.

And yes, I would say a racial slur is worse than a boob.

So would I. Hard to imagine what was going through her head and why her producer, who is sitting right there, allowed it to go on either. It's not even an important ratings period right now.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

OA412
Topic Author

Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:35 pm

Been away from the forum for about a day or so. I'm glad to see that this has been a relatively civil discussion even if we may not all agree with each others points.

Seriously, so freakin what? You cannot possibly tell me that prior to this, you did not already know she was an angry bitch. So how does this possibly surprise you?

Of course I'm not surprised that she said what she said. I'm merely

The only way for people offended by her comments to really make a difference: make her irrelevant. Don't listen to her, and don't give additional air time to her comments (ie: this thread). Ignore her, and her advertising dollars will dry up. Ratings is the life blood of radio. If people stop listening, she'll fade back into obscurity.

I would like nothing more. I do believe that you can also change minds and educate some people as to why some personalities like Dr Laura should be relegated to obscurity. Maybe I'm being naive, but I think that to make her irrelevant, you sometimes have to publicize what she says in order to achieve that goal.

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
Actually, I'd say her real problem with her rant is that she assumes that all black people think using that word is okay. It's like she thinks that blacks all live in rap videos and comedy shows, which is just as ridiculous as thinking that whites blow s--t up all day and drive cars that turn into robots.

That's the main problem I have with it as well. She's implying that all Blacks are a homogeneous block who think, talk, and act the same. As you point out, that's just as ridiculous, and ignorant, as saying that all whites think, talk, and act the same.

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):

Agreed. Let me draw a parallel here. A lot of gay people use the term faggot because they say that owning the term and using it in jest allows us to demistify it and take away its power. I respectfully disagree with that opinion because of how loaded a word it is. I'm not a faggot, and I don't like being called one even if it's another gay man calling me that.

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
Why in the hell would this so-called therapist say that she simply shouldn't be offended by the n-word? And justify it because some blacks use it as a term of endearment?

That's something that I see more and more of it

Quoting D L X (Reply 6):
The problem is when whites (or anyone for that matter) assume that blacks like the word.

Quoting aerobalance (Reply 14):

Again, you're assuming that all Blacks use the word, and that all Blacks like the word. Irrespective of that fact that some black people may use the word, it's still a racist word.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 16):
Plenty of words are "not appropriate". F***, sh**, p*ss, c*nt, c*cksucker, motherf***er, t*ts, and t*at are just a few of them. Yet I hear (and say) most of them on a daily basis.

You're talking about two very different things here. Those words, while they may be considered socially inappropriate, are not racist in nature, and they certainly do not carry the implications that the n-word carries. People weren't lynched because they were shits, they didn't have crosses burned on their front lawn because they were c***'s. They were lynched and had crosses burned on their front lawns specifically because society saw them as n-words.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 18):
Not really, that's your opinion, and many black people disagree with you.

Many black people certainly do disagree with DLX, can't argue with that. However, the fact of the matter is that many also very much agree with him. Many leading Blacks have implored the Hip/Hop community, comedians, and others to stop using the word. I

MAN! I'm always impressed with just how badly white people want to say that word! Why?

That's something that I've never quite understood myself. Why are people so desperate to use such a hateful word?

I think she intended to offend,

As do I. One thing that always surprises me about threads like this is just how willing many American whites (regardless of political affiliation) are to come to the defense of those using offensive language, and to refuse to acknoweldge that what that person said can be construed as offensive. Perhaps I am able to bring a different perspective to the table because I'm a white man who also happens to belong to a minority group (and no I am not necessarily equating the struggle so please don't misconstrue what I am saying), I don't know. I don't, however, understand why people are sometimes so hell-bent on making others out to be overly sensitive to race issues. Of course some are, that's the nature of the beast, but not all of those who cry foul do so because they are overly-sensitive.

I've had people tell me that gays shouldn't be so "overly-sensitive" to the word faggot. Why? That is an ugly word that is used against us in hateful ways. I don't believe that I am simply being "overly-sensitive" when I say that the word faggot offends me.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Maverick623

Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:44 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 42):
Why are people so desperate to use such a hateful word?

Because we're told not to, because it's "exclusive". I forget the exact terminology, but people don't like to be shunned out of anything.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 42):
That is an ugly word that is used against us in hateful ways.

Kind of like "c*nt".

Listen, I'm not defending the use of these words in everyday conversation. Nor am I suggesting that using them in a hateful, phobic way is acceptable. But it's a word. Who cares if someone says it jokingly to their friends?
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

avent

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:11 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 31):
Quoting avent (Reply 28):

Because you're blaming a black person for not "taking it up with" blacks on television and in music for using the word. That's ridiculous. If you and I are friends, and you say something objectionable to me, I'm going to take it up with YOU, not the person you claim to have heard the word from. I have some control over my friend. I have no control over Hollywood.

Again, it all comes down to "Dr." Laura's crazed idea that because the word is used by comedians and rappers, that all blacks should not be offended by the word. Can you tell me how that is remotely logical?

First off, the good Dr. did not call anyone a N-. She did refer to how it was used by black comedians - a true statement. She use the n- word to refer to the n-word as opposed to calling someone a n-. In my opinion it is not racist to refer to the word.

As for the notion that because some blacks use the word, hence it should be acceptable to all blacks, I already addressed that. It's not Dr. L's fault if some blacks embrace racist language making it awkward for other blacks to criticize its use in general. It's up to the latter to confront the former.

Type-Rated

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:26 pm

I think that if people don't like the N word then NOBODY should be using it. With each use it reinforces the fact that it exists.
If nobody says it, it would become an antiquated term and it would then fall out of the general vocabulary.

This way there is no double standard, everyone gets treated the same.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

DeltaMD90

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 42):
I think that if people don't like the N word then NOBODY should be using it.

Freedom of speech, 1st Amendment. In fact, I'm sure a bunch of hard core Christians would like to see any cuss word banned. Where does it stop? 1st Amendment is a great amendment, we all have the right to say most things (except stuff like "FIRE!" in a movie theater)

PSA53

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:39 pm

Sadly.this was bound to happen.And it will again.And it's the Democrats and NAACP fault.Their failure to clean up their own people while lashing out at their political opponents has lost tremendous credibility. The word racism has no punch because it's used just for political maneuvering. And now people are catching up to this game their playing and asking WTF?

I can never forget when Jeremiah Wright spoke at the NAACP meeting in Detroit a couple years back,on TV in full,no sounds bits, and spoke against European-Americans.Not one,not one in the audience launch any voice in opposition of this hate speech.

I hope this serves as a wake up call that you can't have it both ways.Otherwise,there could be more of this nonsense without any feeling of guilt or consequence of their actions just like the far left does now.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Type-Rated

Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 43):
Freedom of speech, 1st Amendment. In fact, I'm sure a bunch of hard core Christians would like to see any cuss word banned. Where does it stop? 1st Amendment is a great amendment, we all have the right to say most things (except stuff like "FIRE!" in a movie theater)

Actually I was not thinking of coming up with some law where it's a penalty to use it. Just everyone stop saying it. That's what gets me about the double standard. Blacks are always bitching about it's use, but then they go around using it all the time. People get the impression that it's "cool" to use it. And that's not what we want.

And I don't get the "It's a term of endearment" excuse either. If that's what it is why do blacks get so upset with someone of another race uses it?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

D L X

Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Quoting avent (Reply 41):
First off, the good Dr. did not call anyone a N-.

Immaterial. No one is arguing that Dr. Laura (not a therapist) called the caller the N-word. Regardless of whether Dr. Laura is racist (I don't believe that she is, under the going definition), her RANT was definitely racist. Just as substituting the N-word for the C-word would be a vile, foul rant.

She did refer to how it was used by black comedians - a true statement.

Which was also immaterial. The caller was calling to get advice on how to get her husband's friends to stop saying it. It's completely irrelevant that other people use it.
Example:

Caller: "How do I get my husband's friends to stop cursing around me?"

Host: "Well, you know, lots of women curse."

This should show why the "rappers say it" argument is a silly one.

It's not Dr. L's fault if some blacks embrace racist language making it awkward for other blacks to criticize its use in general. It's up to the latter to confront the former.

False. Just like it is not a woman's responsibility to get other women to stop calling each other whores, it is not any black person's responsibility to get some other black person he doesn't even know to stop saying the word.

Quite honestly, placing the responsibility on an individual to solve the problems of a race is racist itself. Thinking a race is a monolithic entity is racist. It's your responsibility to treat people as individuals. (I don't think you yourself would say that you are your race.)

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 44):
I hope this serves as a wake up call that you can't have it both ways.

Go listen to the caller. It is clear that she is not trying to have it both ways, to use your words.

Quoting type-rated (Reply 45):
If that's what it is why do blacks get so upset with someone of another race uses it?

If people of other races are using it as a term of endearment, I think you'll find that blacks are not upset with it.

With that said, I am staunchly in the camp of not using this word, period. The fact that it is a derogatory word means it obviously is NOT a term of endearment.

But the fact that some idiots use the term as a term of endearment does not let Dr. Laura off the hook. It's clear she just wanted to use the word. Which brings me back to the earlier question -- why do some white people want to use the word so badly?

Quoting iairallie (Reply 37):
The racial element of the discussion was relevant because the caller brought it up and the racial element was what bothered her.

I'm not saying it wasn't relevant. My point is that if you take the racial element out, the advice is clearly not "get over it." Introducing race makes the language even worse, so clearly "get over it" followed by 11 uses of the word was inappropriate.

And there's no excusing Dr. Laura's "maybe you shouldn't marry outside your race" comment is not made more acceptable by its context when the sentence before was "if you're that hypersensitive about color, and don't *have a sense of humor*, don't marry outside of your race."
And then she goes on a tirade about "black think."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201008120045 around 4:30

Listen to the whole thing, and watch Dr. Laura lie to the audience about the context of what the caller presented.

avent

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 46):
Immaterial. No one is arguing that Dr. Laura (not a therapist) called the caller the N-word. Regardless of whether Dr. Laura is racist (I don't believe that she is, under the going definition), her RANT was definitely racist. Just as substituting the N-word for the C-word would be a vile, foul rant.

It is not immaterial because Media Matters hyped the story in the first posting's link, where MM emphasized the use of the n-word. The rest of the issue is not so clear cut.

She did refer to how it was used by black comedians - a true statement.

Which was also immaterial. The caller was calling to get advice on how to get her husband's friends to stop saying it. It's completely irrelevant that other people use it.

Only if the caller and her husband live on a planet in isolation from the rest of humanity. Since I suspect they don't, common usage is a reasonable guideline, hence the observation that comedians use the word is relevant. I don't think the word deserves to kept in currency, but the bottom line is that it is blacks themselves who are doing it; they are keeping it alive, and in this particular respect, they can deal with the mess they themselves created through this practice.

Example:

Caller: "How do I get my husband's friends to stop cursing around me?"

Host: "Well, you know, lots of women curse."

This should show why the "rappers say it" argument is a silly one.

I disagree again. When the 'it' is actually using the n-word, it is relevant. I'd prefer that no one use the word. Remember, in the case of the caller, none of her husband's friends were using the word either. It was the caller herself who first introduced the n-word into the conversation and raised the issue of its usage, and this prompted Dr. L to turn the issue back at her.

It's not Dr. L's fault if some blacks embrace racist language making it awkward for other blacks to criticize its use in general. It's up to the latter to confront the former.

False. Just like it is not a woman's responsibility to get other women to stop calling each other whores, it is not any black person's responsibility to get some other black person he doesn't even know to stop saying the word.

If some women thought it was fashionalble to glamorize the use of the word 'whore,' I seriously doubt they are going to listen to men tell them otherwise. Similarly, black rappers are unlikely to listen to white criticism of their use of racially shocking language, hence the criticism has to come from the black community itself.

Quite honestly, placing the responsibility on an individual to solve the problems of a race is racist itself. Thinking a race is a monolithic entity is racist. It's your responsibility to treat people as individuals. (I don't think you yourself would say that you are your race.)

I never placed the responsibility of 'solving the problem' on anyone. I did suggest the caller, and other blacks who oppose black rappers and black comedians using the n-word voice their criticism. I know of no socially accepted group of whites who advocate using the n-word; it's a black sub-culture that does it. If the condemnation already exists from polite society (both black and white,) and black entertainers persist in using racial language for its shock value and as a form of black cultural identification, then I don't see what's left except to have blacks step up and criticize those who persist in using such language. If whites decided to help out by boycotting black entertainers on the basis of their language, there would be accusations of racism, so the criticism has to come from sources that can't be easily dismissed as being racist - namely other blacks.

[Edited 2010-08-15 15:51:13]

DeltaMD90

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:16 am

Actually I was not thinking of coming up with some law where it's a penalty to use it. Just everyone stop saying it. That's what gets me about the double standard.

Ah ok, yeah I don't personally use the word but I see that you agree that government intervention should not be used. Point taken.

Blacks are always bitching about it's use, but then they go around using it all the time.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the blacks who "bitch" about it are different than the ones that use the word. Otherwise, that would be kinda silly.

People get the impression that it's "cool" to use it. And that's not what we want.

And I don't get the "It's a term of endearment" excuse either. If that's what it is why do blacks get so upset with someone of another race uses it?

Well, from what I've seen (not much, but I'll take a shot anyway) it's a word for them, by them only. I've seen whites and Hispanics referred to as ----a by blacks and vice versa, but friction is caused if any white would go using the word. Double standard? Yes, I agree with you, but I'm not that PC, if they want the word just for them, well, I say let them have it. I see the opposition's argument, but like I said, screw PC sometimes  

soon7x7

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:34 am

When are people going to get over this racist crap...I'm sick of it...what an exhaustive waste of time and effort for what? ...United we stand and divided we fall, and w'ere falling fast. We all got red blood and breath the same oxygen, people of all colors have accomplished much for society and people of all colors have done much to destroy it. Get to the foundation of the issues and resolve the problems. My boss detests the fact that he is a black man and literally blames me,...a "cracka" for slavery. What BS!...our ship is sinking fast in the Bering Sea and we need to don our survival suits fast but everyones fighting over the colors of their suits...   ...make it stop....