Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

bjorn14
Topic Author

LED V. LCD V. Plasma. What's The Best?

Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm looking to buy a new flatscreen TV and wondering what the differences are between the 3 major types LED, LCD, Plasma. Thanks for the help.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

mbmbos

RE: LED V. LCD V. Plasma. What's The Best?

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Don't know everything about them, but I have a couple of comments:

1) Plasma provides a rich image but apparently requires professional assistance to calibrate. So if your screen goes out of focus or has color issues you may have to hire someone to get it tweaked.

2) The downside to LCD is lack of richness in shadows and dark tones, if the critics are to be trusted. The backlit and new generation LCDs are supposed to be betters.

3) I've heard really good things about LED.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

N328KF

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:40 pm

There's a lot of marketing confusion here. "LCD" and "LED" TVs are actually both very similar. They're really both LCD screens, but the old "LCD" screens are really just backlit with fluorescent (CCFL) tubes, while the ones labeled as "LED" are backlit with LED. The latter will have better colors and won't need the backlighting to be replaced after about five years or so. (CCFL tubes fade with time.)

Beyond that, there's no actual difference, though the manufacturers have now decided to ensure that higher-end features are only on the TVs with LED backlighting, even though those features could just as easily be added to CCFL TVs.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

dxing

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:11 pm

I've got both a plasma and an LCD flat screen TV. The plasma does indeed have a richer color but as noted, if the color goes off kilter you have a dickens of a time getting back to where you like it. I've taken to writing down the settings. The other differences are that the LCD is much much thinner, doesn't weigh as much, and doesn't put off nearly the heat that the plasma does. I'm also willing to bet that the plasma is a much bigger energy hog just because of the heat it produces. Also, the wall mount for the plasma is much more hefty than the LCD mount.

If I had to choose one over the other though it would be a tough call. I think it will all come down to your personal preference as to picture quality. Just remember though, an LCD can be laid flat, a plasma must remain upright.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Zkpilot

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:25 pm

LED all the way except price.
It is the slimest, the sharpest, the most colours, the least power consumption (less heat also).

LED is an LCD by the way... its just a better setup... LED backlighting insted of fluro meaning better contrast, black blacks, richer pictures.

I still would prefer an LCD over plasma also. Plasma is old tech and is dying out. All the former issues with LCD have been resolved particularly with the LED models.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

runway23

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Go to a store and watch each of the three.

My conclusion was LED beat the others by a mile.

Fly2HMO

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:38 pm

All those 3 technologies will be obsolete (plasmas are pretty much obsolete by now) when the OLED TVs hit the market.

Contrast ratios will be well over 1,000,000:1 for even the basic models.

Basically OLED TVs will mean each pixel is in fact it's own miniature red-green-blue light bulb, so to speak.

Alias1024

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:03 pm

I bought a plasma because I watch a lot of sports and found all but the most expensive LCDs to have unacceptable refresh rates and LED was prohibitively expensive. Six months ago when I was looking, most LCDs had either 60 or 120Hz refresh rates, with more expensive models going up to 240Hz. The typical plasma is 600Hz. I was in the store looking at an LCD (120Hz) and plasma side by side that were the same size, resolution, and price, both showing the same football game. I was able to see blurring in the image on the LCD, but not the plasma. That's what sold me.

The advantages to an LCD are that the images tend to be brighter, the television is much lighter (good for wall mounting), and it consumes much less electricity than plasma.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

sv7887

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:22 pm

I have a Sony LED backlit tv. Basically the difference the between LCD and LED, is the backlighting. The LED uses less power and is much thinner. The LED unit I have is about as thin as a Time magazine. The picture is better than your typical LCD TV too.

Plasma gives some unbelievable black reproduction, but I think LED comes pretty close. The colors on a LED unit are really good.

Just go to a local TV store and look at all three. See what fits into your budget and have a look at various consumer surveys.

B7474

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:40 am

I own a Panasonic 46 inch plasma and 46 inch Samsung, I will tell you plasma is better, it is simply more clear, the LCD maybe brighter but in terms of picture quality plasma is better. Also LCDs depending on where you sit the picture quality gets affected unlike a plamsa it looks the same no matter where you sit in your place. Don't know much about LEDs to comment.

solnabo

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:46 am

Go for LED Björn!

I´ve got a 40 inch from Samsung.

It´s superior than LCD and Plasma, I´m talking of experience.

Till lykke

//Mike   
Airbus SAS - Love them both

NoWorries

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:06 pm

Quoting sv7887 (Reply 8):
Plasma gives some unbelievable black reproduction, but I think LED comes pretty close. The colors on a LED unit are really good.

This is an area where the LED back-light has allowed the LCD to get much closer to the plasma. The problem with LCDs is they can't completely shut, so some light leaks out, causing them to appear gray when they really want to be black. With a single CCFL back-light, dynamically lowering the light level to get better blacks in scenes that have a lot of black also dims the rest of the scene. With LED back-light, there isn't a single lamp, there is a matrix of LEDs, so each LED can be adjusted to match the needs of a given area of the screen. If I were buying today, I'd go the LED route unless you want absolute picture quality with a lot of motion (sports).

aloges

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 6):
All those 3 technologies will be obsolete (plasmas are pretty much obsolete by now) when the OLED TVs hit the market.

Plasma screens do waste a lot of electricity compared to LCD screens, and concerning those there is again a difference between fluorescent and LED backlighting. For the moment, I agree with everyone that a LED-backlit LCD TV is the best option unless you can afford OLED.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

comorin

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:49 pm

I have a 5-year old Pioneer Plasma and I swear by it. I still wonder at the gorgeous pictures on the screen. OTOH, the gap seems to have closed between the LEDs and Plasma, so it may be a hard choice.

AirPacific747

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Yes, but it will take years before the technology becomes affordable and will be available in large formats. Right now the largest screen is what, 14" or so? And it costs a fortune.

NoWorries

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 14):
Yes, but it will take years before the technology becomes affordable and will be available in large formats. Right now the largest screen is what, 14" or so? And it costs a fortune.

That's the way I look at these kinds of decisions -- I tend to go for best value rather than best performance.

There's always going to be some new technology coming around the corner for those willing to pay, and if the need for the extreme performance is real, than the cost is justified. Sometimes the new technology is thwarted by an improvement in the old technology. A few years ago, SED was going to "kill" LCD and plasma because it had the quality of a CRT and the space efficiency of an LCD. LCDs got better and cheaper -- Canon drastically curtailed their SED research. Someday, OLED will get replaced by who knows what - maybe by quantum dots. I know everyone has their own view of these sorts of trade-offs -- I tend to buy things that work reasonably well at a fair price and will be useful for about five years -- that gives me reasonably good technology at a sensible price on a continuing basis.

CMHSRQ

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:13 pm

What it really should depend on is where you plan to put the TV and what you prefer to watch.

If it's a dark room, go plasma,

If it's a brighter room go LED - LCD with a 240Hz refresh rate

If you watch fast pace scenes then plamsa is better, if you still have a bright room then get curtains.
The voice of moderation

GuitrThree

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Well, if you have to have one now, LED...

But, just read the other day that Toshiba has developed a 3D Set that requires NO STUPID GLASSES. Sony's right on their tail. I'd wait for that!

3D without the nerdy glasses!
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

dxing

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 17):

But, just read the other day that Toshiba has developed a 3D Set that requires NO STUPID GLASSES. Sony's right on their tail. I'd wait for that!

I saw that! That will probably be the replacement for the plasma since by the time it starts fading hopefully they will have perfected the technology and the price will have come down from the Trumposphere.

Hows Galitin doing? Recover from the wet weather earlier this year? We used to like driving around that area when we lived in West Meade.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Glom

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:20 am

There was massive buzz about OLED a few years ago. Sony had models on display in their showroom in Ginza when I visited in 2008. When I went back last month, there was not a peep. What happened? And more importantly, where is my rollable screen?

Klaus

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:00 pm

Quoting Glom (Reply 19):
There was massive buzz about OLED a few years ago. Sony had models on display in their showroom in Ginza when I visited in 2008. When I went back last month, there was not a peep. What happened? And more importantly,

OLED technology hasn't remotely progressed to the point needed for consumer deployment.

The OLED displays in cellphones today are basically engineering samples with a limited lifespan, effectively next to no advantages and quite a few disadvantages relative to LCDs.

One of the biggest promises of OLEDs – the presumably lower power consumption – could not be realized at this point.

True: OLEDs only light up those pixels which are actually needed, which should theoretically translate into lower power consumption.

But: Because of their manufacturing process (the "O" in OLED) OLEDs are so much less efficient than the conventional LEDs which are used for full-area LCD backlights that a full-on backlight plus light-filtering LCD still comes out with substantially better power consumption overall. The often much worse battery endurance of OLED devices vs. LCD ones gives testament to that (and the more you use the screen, the worse it gets).

Manufacturing OLEDs at the sizes needed for TV screens is also still prohibitively expensive and poses numerous technical challenges.

And then there is the dreaded burn-in problem which OLEDs share with plasma displays.

All in all, OLED may one day become a major display technology, but it's nowhere close to that at this point in time.

Quoting Glom (Reply 19):
where is my rollable screen?

Why would anybody even want that? I've always found it highly inconvenient that magazines and books are not as rigid as a proper screen!