Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mikey711MN
Topic Author

Massive Fire In San Bruno Near SFO

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:11 am

Story developing...
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/livenow?id=6498350

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...i?f=/c/a/2010/09/09/BADP1FBJRS.DTL

Are all planes accounted for? Is this impacting traffic into and out of SFO?

cpd

RE: Massive Fire In San Bruno Near SFO

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:23 am

Could this be a gas explosion?

Mikey711MN
Topic Author

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:27 am

From all appearances from the live feeds, I'd say so.

That said, there is no reported disruption of SFO air traffic and no aircraft were involved per reports from FAA and SFO authorities, so this thread appears unrelated to Civ Av.

Thread deletion requested...

cpd

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:33 am

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 2):
Thread deletion requested...

I'd say leave it open until we find out for sure. I'm at work so I can't have the sound on - but it sure looks like a gas explosion.

ordbosshog

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:52 am

Almost confirmed by ABC 7 in San Fransisco (I am watching the streaming video cast) that this is being fed by a Natural Gas Line (24 in Main) explosion.... It is not clear yet if the fire is headed towards the airport...... Can we keep this open to see what happens?

ua777222

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:31 am

Right now it looks like the fire is contained. Over 45 houses affected and one confirmed killed. This is simply tragic. Multiple reports from the neighborhood that they've been complaining to PG&E for up to three weeks of gas smells in the open.

I wonder if their SmartMeter gives homeowners a "Your House Is On Fire" notice when their mains break.

ua777222

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:34 am

Home above the suspected break is no longer there, not even on fire, "just a crater."

They've stopped doing air drops but both fix wing and helicopters provided support on trouble spots well into the night.

seb146

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:04 am

11PM Pacific: CBS 5 reporting 53 homes destroyed, another 120 damaged; 1 killed. Also, Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) reporting a gas main rupture in the area possibly the cause.

Ken777

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:23 am

I've been to San Bruno multiple times back in the day that The Gap had their Home Office. It was a congested area close to SFO.

PG&E looks to be needing an answer fast, especially if there were multiple calls of gas smells days before.

As there is a report of one death our thoughts are with the family, as they are with all who are suffering from this.

ua777222

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:30 am

Stand corrected, the main broke under an intersection. The intersection is no longer there. There is probably a 50' x 50' hole in the ground and it is completely filled with water. No clue on how deep it is.

PG&E is saying that if they are found to have owned the line that they will "be held accountable."

DocLightning

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:06 am

So as many as 200 families are without homes tonight. Wow. PG&E is about to be shelling out a lot of money. I'm just glad it wasn't a plane.

CaliforniaMate

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:51 am

This is right by my house.

ferengi80

Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:36 pm

Quoting CaliforniaMate (Reply 11):
This is right by my house.

I am trying to get word on how friends of mine are, they live on Crestmoor Drive, about half a mile from the explosion. How big of an area has been affected by this?

My thoughts and prayers are will everyone who has been affected by this.

dxing

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:45 pm

A shame, but also a warning......what happens when the next "big one" hits and multiple gas lines around the area are broken? According to published reports water was knocked out as well and firefighters had to pump in water from as far as 2 miles away.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_large_explosion

San Bruno Fire Capt. Charlie Barringer said the neighborhood was engulfed by the time firefighters arrived, even though the fire station was only a few blocks away. He said the blast took out the entire water system, forcing firefighters to pump water from more than two miles away.

I remember my parents taking me to that area to visit a friend of my mothers when I was 10. I thought they had the coolest house because from the deck you could watch the planes take off and land at SFO. They even had a telescope and several sets of Navy binoculars, the really big kind set on tripods, so you could bring the action up close.

chrisair

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:33 pm

I saw this last night. You could see the fire from the San Mateo Bridge. There was a PG&E truck behind me doing 100 mph over the bridge to get over there. I drove by about 9:45p last night on the 280 and it was an eerie sight. The freeway was deserted, flames were still visible, and the freeway was shrouded in smoke. Seeing the CalFire planes doing retardant drops over the densely populated area was very eerie as well. They didn't do that in the Oakland Hills fire in 1991.

Quoting ferengi80 (Reply 12):
How big of an area has been affected by this?
http://static.cbslocal.com/station/k...x/docs/2010/san_bruno_map_full.jpg

Sneath Lane/Skyline/San Bruno Ave/Claremont is the area. It's all west of the 280 freeway, up in the hills.

NIKV69

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Lt governor just gave a presser, he waved the waiting period for getting unemployment for the residents. Great move.

comorin

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:22 am

Guys, I'm flying to SFO tomorrow and heading to the Marriott at San Mateo - should I expect any problems?

Many thanks.

chrisair

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:08 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 16):
Guys, I'm flying to SFO tomorrow and heading to the Marriott at San Mateo - should I expect any problems?

Shouldn't have any issues. San Mateo is well south of the incident. It didn't affect ops at SFO at all last night. If you leave from SFO and can, sit on the left side of the plane and you should see it.

The only issue might come up if you're trying to use the 380 west between SFO (or 101) and the 280 freeway. Sneath Lane and San Bruno Ave off ramps were still closed from the 280 when I left this morning. If you're trying to get around that area, I think El Camino might be the best way to get around.

If you're trying to use that really cheap Gas Station off the 280 and San Bruno Ave to fill up your rental car, it might not be open.

comorin

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:15 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 17):
Quoting comorin (Reply 16):

Shouldn't have any issues. San Mateo is well south of the incident. It didn't affect ops at SFO at all last night. If you leave from SFO and can, sit on the left side of the plane and you should see it.

The only issue might come up if you're trying to use the 380 west between SFO (or 101) and the 280 freeway. Sneath Lane and San Bruno Ave off ramps were still closed from the 280 when I left this morning. If you're trying to get around that area, I think El Camino might be the best way to get around.

If you're trying to use that really cheap Gas Station off the 280 and San Bruno Ave to fill up your rental car, it might not be open.

Many thanks for the heads-up! I'll sit on the left of the a/c inbound from JFK. to get a view.

ltbewr

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:08 am

One has to suspect, since there are no reports of any construction in the area of the break, that some settling of land, that soil under the pipe subsided, was liquifed due to a water main leak or even a minor earthquake could have caused it. It reminds me of a major gas line that was damaged in Edison, NJ a number of years ago that triggered a fire that took out several buildings in a low rise apartment complex and caused millions in damage. I also wonder if dry conditions are there, wind effects and so on are also contributing factors.

CaliforniaMate

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:56 am

You'll be fine. San Mateo is not affected whatsoever.

chrisair

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:28 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 18):
I'll sit on the left of the a/c inbound from JFK. to get a view.

You won't see it inbound. It's off to the left when you depart from the 28s or 1L/R and loop around the airport.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 19):
I also wonder if dry conditions are there, wind effects and so on are also contributing factors.

Wind was a major factor last night, not on the pipeline break itself, but on the fire. It sent the embers all over the place. The winds up there were pretty strong, but died off late in the evening.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 19):
since there are no reports of any construction in the area of the break, that some settling of land, that soil under the pipe subsided, was liquifed due to a water main leak or even a minor earthquake could have caused it.

I doubt it. The pipe is 50 some years old (according to what I heard this morning when I was in SF), and the neighborhood is about the same age. It was all avocado groves (good piece of trivia for you Bay Area folks) before being developed. This pipe survived the 1989 quake intact and was supposedly inspected routinely by PG&E crews using a PIG. Remember, this was a 30 inch pipe, and not some smaller pipe. This was one of three main lines that bring natural gas into the entire Bay Area.

Back in 2008, a PG&E crew replaced a natural gas pipe in Sacramento with the wrong replacement pipe. It exploded on Xmas Eve that year, killing one.

My two cents are on two scenarios: the age of the pipe and the supposed leak that was reported about three weeks ago, or faulty repair work done at some point in time. I don't think there was a water main break or a "minor" earthquake.

Whatever happened, it's a downright hellish sight up there. I could see flames from 20 miles away. I feel bad for the folks who live up there.

ferengi80

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 21):
Whatever happened, it's a downright hellish sight up there. I could see flames from 20 miles away. I feel bad for the folks who live up there

My friends in San Bruno heard it really clearly, they live on Crestmoor Drive, which is, I guess, about a half to three quarters of a mile as the crow flies from the site of the explosion. They're currently staying with relatives in San Mateo, and said that they are pretty shaken by it. They have a lot of friends in the San Bruno community, so guess they know people who have lost homes or were injured.

My thoughts and prayers to go the people of San Bruno.

Has Governor Schwarzeneggar stepped in to offer state aid for those affected do we know?

chrisair

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Quoting ferengi80 (Reply 22):
Has Governor Schwarzeneggar stepped in to offer state aid for those affected do we know?

He's in Asia. Acting Gov. Abel Maldonado declared it a disaster area. What that does for residents, I have no clue.

I have a friend whose parents live in San Bruno, near Crystal Springs Rd and the 280. Initially when they first reported it, they just said "San Bruno near the 280" they didn't have a good gauge on where it was. That kind of freaked me out.

My grandparent's old home was only about 2 blocks away from that big landslide in Millbrae a few years back. Across the street from another big hill.

Aaron747

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:47 am

Reports are flying around that PG&E has internal memos suggesting this particular pipeline was "high risk" and needed immediate replacement but they shunned their own internal experts in favor of a 3 year deferral plan. Whistleblowers are coming folks. Hopefully they'll get some documents out to the NTSB before bodies start turning up in the bay and/or stuff finds its way to the shredder. Sorry for the negativity but as a Northern California native, I don't trust that company one teeny little bit.

Not only that but numerous residents are saying they called PG&E with complaints of smelling gas well into August. All it takes is verification of phone records and witness interviews and PG&E will have just made some Bay Area lawyers very very rich.

chrisair

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:58 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 24):
Reports are flying around that PG&E has internal memos suggesting this particular pipeline was "high risk" and needed immediate replacement but they shunned their own internal experts in favor of a 3 year deferral plan.

I find it fascinating that the pipe was manufactured in the 1940s. It makes me wonder how old the gas line that runs about 2 blocks from my house is. It's not a little gas line either. I saw it when the El Paso Natural Gas crews were working on it. It's a big sucker--it sends gas up to Phoenix and into Southern CA.

The WSJ has a very interesting piece of info, out today:

SAN BRUNO, Calif.—The ruptured natural-gas pipeline that exploded and destroyed 58 homes in the San Francisco suburb of San Bruno contained a longitudinal seam and numerous welds indicating it had been made from many small segments of steel pipe—an unusual configuration—federal investigators said Saturday.

While the pipe configuration isn't necessarily a violation of a safety code, NTSB Vice Chairman Christopher Hart said Saturday evening, investigators would need to determine if the numerous welds could have weakened the pipe.

Rest is here : Top