Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mt99
Topic Author

How Much Handwriting Do You Do Daily?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:18 pm

How much handwriting do you do on an average day?

I just wrote a half a page of notes and my hand hurts  

Has handwriting become a lost art?

BMI727

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:20 pm

Quoting mt99 (Thread starter):

Probably more than is healthy. Some days I might write 4-5 pages worth.

northstardc4m

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:07 pm

enough, but its still annoying if i try to write more than half a page at a time.

Handwritting isnt a lost art, but true shorthand is.

akiss20

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:13 pm

Engineering college student here so it is safe to say on the average day I write about 5-10 pages of notes...you get used to it, although it is tougher at the beginning of fall semester after a summer of mostly computer work 

KingFriday013

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Handwriting for me is not a lost art. However I rarely write on paper anymore. I got my Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet in September 2008 so I wouldn't have to carry around so much paper, and it has served me well. Now, I'm a math major in college, and the only time I have used paper for mathematics is during exams and quizzes. The stylus is fantastic -- feels just like a real pen -- and it's very responsive.

This thing has an 8-hour battery, so I can really keep it with me all day. And I use it for all of my classes. It's really great in statistics, where there's a lot of typing (text) and then I need to put in a graph -- all I do is flip the screen around.

I'm planning on replacing this computer no later than next September, as it is starting to show its age. However, I'm planning on getting the X201 -- the model that directly replaces this one. If I get around to it later, I'll take a picture of me writing on the screen, and you can see how its impact (or lack thereof) on my handwriting.

-J.

flyerboy1990

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:29 pm

I write everyday for almost all classes (3-4 depending on day). It is weird how I felt like I could barely take notes after being on summer break for a few months. It's fine now.

It is unfortunate that nice, elaborate handwriting has gone by the wayside. I have some older aunts who write beautifully on birthday and Christmas cards. With the advancement of technology, I guess writing style hasn't been so important.

ManuCH

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:41 pm

What's handwriting?   

Seriously, I'm much faster on my computer, and I haven't written something serious by hand in ages, besides some very short notes during meetings, which will then inevitably be converted (re-typed) on a computer afterwards.

ClassicLover

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:46 pm

Notes all the time at work... and my signature.

I write a lot in college though!

ShyFlyer

RE: How Much Handwriting Do You Do Daily?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:03 pm

I write constantly at work. Some of that could (and probably should) be moved to the computer but it isn't going to happen for a variety of reasons.

Luftfahrer

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Quite a lot, since I only handwrite in school. On a long day, I accumulate as much as 5 pages or more. I used to do all writing on the PC when possible, but lately my Parker pen that I just love has been my preferred way of bringing texts, notes and reports to paper.

Sabena332

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 pm

Usually: Signing my credit card bill at the gas station. And I do not even sign it correctly, I just draw some lines up and down. It saves time and everyone is pleased with it.  

Patrick

Fly2HMO

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Well in college I would write at the very least about a page a day. Ever since I graduated though I barely fill a page in a month.

ronglimeng

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:34 pm

I probably do less than half a page a day, usually consisting of just rough notes to myself.

My handwriting, never very good, has deteriorated since computers became widespread. If I need to send a handwritten note to someone else I usually print the words, rather than write them.

My mother, at age 87, still has good handwriting, and even her grocery shopping lists are beautifully done. I do think handwriting is becoming a lost art.

But the benefit of word processors, that maybe we take for granted now, is the ability to edit and improve our "written" words. Just last night, I wrote a draft of an important email and then this morning after a "cold eye check", I edited it and sent it on. That's much harder to do if it is all by pen and paper.

flybaurlax

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 3):
Engineering college student here so it is safe to say on the average day I write about 5-10 pages of notes...you get used to it, although it is tougher at the beginning of fall semester after a summer of mostly computer work

I'm there with you. Every week I have a homework assignment for my dynamics and vibrations class that is very lengthy. On average I turn in 20 pages for each assignment. Granted, I have a lot of MATLAB plotting and scripts included in those pages, but the majority are hand written equations, calculations, and explanations. I also have to write hand written notes at least once a day for 2 classes.

I prefer to use hand written notes, and not use a computer.

Aaron747

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:27 pm

I do equal time between a legal pad and being a slave to WordPerfect. I honestly prefer writing to typing but somehow end up doing more of the latter.

fatmirjusufi

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Doodles, crosswords, notes and while in college I only do handwrite.

n229nw

Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:08 pm

I just wrote a half a page of notes and my hand hurts

Get a proper fountain pen--one that is right for your hand. You can write while barely touching the paper, and your writing will improve too. a World of difference and you will never go back to &%$# ballpoints.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 14):
I honestly prefer writing to typing

ScarletHarlot

Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:08 pm

About the only handwriting I do any more is shopping lists, to-do lists and the occasional note to Mr. Harlot on the kitchen counter. At my last job I really tried to have a paperless office, especially since I worked from home and didn't want to clutter up my house with work-related papers. I did pretty well - really the only printing I had to do was expense reports. But that means my hand gets very tired of writing very quickly.

Luftfahrer

Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Quoting n229nw (Reply 16):
Get a proper fountain pen--one that is right for your hand.

I totally agree with you. The fountain pen that I bought about half a year ago was expensive, but I have always felt it was a worthwile investment. It feels superb in my hand, the writing itself is smooth, my type face looks presentable... and on top of that, it looks classy! I have used ball and felt pens in the past, however it is just not the same. I always come back to using a fountain pen.

Pyrex

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:32 am

I write quite a lot, probably every day. My biggest thing is drawing up PowerPoint slides (to have someone else produce them later). Especially if it is something new that I have to create from a blank piece of paper (as opposed to just editing an existing template) I feel that actually having a blank piece of paper helps. I usually use scrap paper (abandoned print-outs with one clean side), which minimizes my environmental impact

As a rule of thumb, if it is cursive text I do it on a computer (much faster) but if it is only bullet points that can really benefit from proper categorization, sitting down on an empty table with a blank piece of paper really helps my creative juices.

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 6):
Seriously, I'm much faster on my computer, and I haven't written something serious by hand in ages,

Faster yes, but sometimes (especially presentations) I am more creative with a good pen.

Quoting n229nw (Reply 16):
Get a proper fountain pen--one that is right for your hand.

I could never use a fountain pen. I have a really weird way of holding a pen (have been getting crap for that since elementary school) and so I need an ink that dries almost immediately, otherwise I will smudge the whole thing and get ink all over myself.

akiss20

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:40 am

Quoting flybaurlax (Reply 13):
I prefer to use hand written notes, and not use a computer.

I don't understand how people can possibly use computers for engineering classes. Tablet's maybe (altho imho they lack the resolution to draw complex diagrams) but normal laptops no way! I did once see a kid who was flying with MS Equation Editor though, but that was during my Advanced E&M class so it was mostly just mathematical syntax with a few drawings thrown in.

ajd1992

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:48 am

Usually, very little to none as my hand writing is terrible because I've got Dyspraxia, which basically means it's unreadable unless I take a very long time over hand writing. Being left handed doesn't help either, I smudge a lot of my writing because of it.

Thankfully I'm doing a computer based course at college, so the amount I have to do is very little anyway. Probably not a bad idea as I can hardly read my own hand writing, let alone anybody else. I never have to sign for anything as I've got a Chip and Pin card now. Actually, I've never, ever signed for anything on a card.

[Edited 2010-09-22 21:04:07]

Aesma

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:52 pm

I don't write at all. Not that I don't like it but I just do everything on computers/electronic devices, even the grocery list ! The only thing I write by hand is the occasional address on an envelope because printing on them is a pain to configure.

noelg

Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:48 pm

I have to admit the most I write in a day is quick notes when I am on the phone (when I'm not using Notepad), or occasionally an address on an envelope. I'll draw network diagrams etc on paper if I'm trying to work something out, as it's easier than using Visio.